Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2010 5:43 AM
Apr 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That's silly... Why did he have to take the plane when he has a magical flying cloud? :P

Feb 12, 2011 9:22 AM

Aug 2007
Because Roshi told him not to rely on his Cloud, Goku took that as a sincere order. Even though Roshi didn't expect him to take that by heart.

But that's who Goku is.

Dec 13, 2011 3:26 PM

Dec 2010
Lmao well there you go.
Dragon Ball was the first to do the three year time skip before Naruto or One Piece xD
HA!
~Believe in you! Not in the you who believes in me. Not in the me who believes in you. Believe in the you... that believes in you!~
Feb 8, 2012 10:20 PM

Mar 2011
If I were that little boy's mother, I would have been hesitant to befriend a green ex-con fox who is old enough to drive his own car!

May 13, 2013 1:18 PM

Feb 2013
Well that was a quick 3 years, I love how Goku is still wearing that same outfit he stole from Pilafs henchmen ( forgot his name) haha. I'm looking forward to this next tournament and praying Krillin actually doesn't completely get his butt kicked for once >_<.
Oct 31, 2013 2:34 PM

Oct 2009
Konkichi says that the Tenkaichi tournament is the day after tomorrow at 05:13, but in the end narrator says that there are three days left
SerhiykoNov 18, 2023 3:36 PM
Nov 12, 2013 5:25 AM

May 2012
Oh boy a nice 3 year skip and lolwut Bulma's hair sucks like hell... why did she cut it? Now she looks dumb... oh well lets see if Goku can make it
Nov 29, 2013 3:35 PM

Jun 2009
God damn it Goku why are you so naive...Anyway, finally the end of the Fortuneteller Baba saga (or if you want to go deeper, Solo Training arc). Next up, Tien Shinhan Saga.
loghneckbeardNov 29, 2013 3:43 PM
Nov 20, 2014 3:02 AM

Mar 2013
RafaelDeJongh said:
Oh boy a nice 3 year skip and lolwut Bulma's hair sucks like hell... why did she cut it? Now she looks dumb... oh well lets see if Goku can make it

Not a fan of Bulma's new haircut either.
Dec 28, 2014 10:12 PM

Feb 2014
Wow, 3 years already but Goku hasn't really changed... I mean you can tell he has gone a lot faster and stronger but he still looks pretty much the same.
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Mar 20, 2017 11:04 AM

Aug 2013
Another light little filler episode as the tournament looms on the horizon.
Jul 29, 2017 3:55 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
yeha bulmas short hair is horrible o.o

Sep 6, 2017 4:58 AM

Jul 2008
And just like that a 3 year timeskip....Goku looks the same.
Sep 16, 2017 3:24 AM

Jun 2016
Well, it's to be expected but this filler stretch was the worst part of the anime, definitely worse than Muscle Tower. Filler ranged from mediocre(Man Eating Gourd/Tien episodes) to awful (demon world episode), with this final one being alright. I've applauded this anime a lot in the past for having the best training arcs I've ever seen, to paraphrase, because we see just enough of every valuable moment of training, see how long they trained for, and then see the aftermath. All of which makes a training arc feel incredibly real, and of which Dragon Ball excels at. I haven't felt once that a power up was contrived, or cheesy, or anything negative at all, instead they felt like the product of hard work and dedication, all of which the audience saw and experienced. This filler stretch not only had lazy ideas, some of which went against what we know about the universe, and boring one note characters all around, but it 1: didn't feel like 3 years remotely, and 2: didn't give us any indication of the perfected training that I've already mentioned.

I would of either preferred us to go straight from Oopa's dad's revival to the tournament, or I would of preferred for us to have maybe 1 or 2 filler episodes to give a feel of the solitary adventure Goku is on, but also one major arc in which Goku truly powers up in. The other solution would be to have a handful of filler-esque episodes that each tell a story of Goku learning something that he hadn't understood before, ultimately making him a stronger and more intelligent person. There were plenty of ways to do this 3 year training segment correctly, what they did was the opposite. I'm very disappointed because the last arc set up for this so well. At least we can assume what Yamucha and Kururin's training was due to the first tournament, and the scattered clips of Kururin doing 1000 push ups with Roshi on his back.

Here's to hoping that this next arc is so good that we forget about this mess.
Jun 30, 2019 7:59 PM

Sep 2012
tbh, I kinda dig this little Gokuu Gaiden filler arc cause it's just a bunch of fun encounters for Goku in the rare purple suit. I definitely didn't expect Goku to get caught up in a PSA type adventure to warn kids against borrowing money and stealing xD But I am 100% ready for the freakin' Budokai and all that follows! I'm just worried that they'll try to shove a bunch of filler into this arc too o____o
Mar 3, 2020 5:40 PM
Jan 2020
yay lunch is coming to the next arc. the show only gets better from here
May 27, 2020 2:25 AM
Jul 2018
I didn't expect a time skip to occur in this episode. I have to say, I don't see a physical change in any of the characters. Krillin is still a shorty, and Goku just rose a few inches, I guess. Apart from that, Bulma has short hair now, and is this a different hairstyle Yamcha is rocking? All in all, nothing too major, but the new slight changes are cool enough. They're still the same old gang. It was a slight tease to see Goku catching all the bullets with his bare fingers like it was child's play. That was certainly badass.

Anyways, that's officially the end of the Baba saga. I have to say, it was pretty enjoyable at first, but while the fillers were decently entertaining, it fell short towards the end. It is a solid saga for me. I am truly looking forward to the second World's Martial Art's tournament, considering how amazing the first one was.
Sep 13, 2020 7:15 AM
May 2019
Goku gets to know the usage of money and even gets to earn some himself. Well, having him on the team is easy money, of course. Really wasn't expecting fortuneteller Baba to show up - thought we were officially done with her.
Jan 15, 2021 9:46 AM

Oct 2020
This episode was amazing!!!

Goku sure changed konchikis life. Baba surely did tell fortune first time for free. But she did a great work. I thought Goku will jump to catch the plane haha!

Good thing is this time Launch will also come to the tournament. I hope Goku reaches there soon.
Sep 30, 2022 10:09 PM

Sep 2014
SpiritGT said:
Wow, 3 years already but Goku hasn't really changed... I mean you can tell he has gone a lot faster and stronger but he still looks pretty much the same.
Yeah I was expecting them to make him a lil taller and at least give him a new outfit or two hahah
Jan 8, 2023 1:18 PM

Dec 2021
I always remember this filler for Goku swimming across the World
Apr 14, 2023 6:17 AM

Jan 2021
I don't need a hammer, I've got my bare hands!
Nov 12, 2023 12:12 PM
Mar 2018
You can definitely tell that it is a filler episode. Especially in the once scene where the police barge into the bank. They just had one still frame of the police that shook back and forth and zoomed in on to make it look like they're running forward. Really cheap animation, brother.
Nov 12, 2023 12:13 PM
Mar 2018
Reply to Serhiyko
Konkichi says that the Tenkaichi tournament is the day after tomorrow at 05:13, but in the end narrator says that there are three days left
@Serhiyko Thats filler writing for ya
Feb 24, 12:42 AM

Jun 2020
For a filler, this was pretty enjoyable. I didn't expect myself to be happy to see Baba again but I was and the good summer vibes from the crew were nice to see. Also Goku and Fox Bro's little broke adventure was fun to see. Excited to finally get back into canon though. This filler episode and the one before were the only ones I enjoyed from this stretch.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Episode 123 Discussion

KitaTsuki - Oct 11, 2011

21 by wildhood »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Dragon Ball Episode 57 Discussion

KitaTsuki - Oct 2, 2011

24 by David_Mamyan »»
Apr 21, 2:29 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Episode 75 Discussion

brucescrews - Jan 15, 2012

24 by vehehgito »»
Apr 20, 8:09 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Episode 13 Discussion

Scribbly - Oct 26, 2008

41 by Kyla_The_Plant »»
Apr 17, 5:49 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Episode 41 Discussion

vizhmaster_vizhu - Apr 27, 2011

28 by JaminKT »»
Apr 17, 7:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.