Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 4, 2016 1:25 AM

May 2015
I'm far more tolerant towards generic stories than generic art.

A generic story still gives you a lot to do. You can have great visuals, characters and pacing. All these things can take a generic story and add life to it.

But without good visuals, everything look boring. Even Ping Pong, which is otherwise is excellent is held down by the fairly ugly art style.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 4, 2016 1:35 AM
Nov 2015
as far as i think anime with good animation quality most likely to have a good story. i mean for example a studio or a director has enough resource for good animation why would they even choose a bad story? but it doesn't always happen
- musaigen phantom world=great animation but it's bad
-welcome to NHK = one of the worst animation iv'e seen, but is still one of the best anime iv'e watched
Jun 4, 2016 2:05 AM

Dec 2014
well if most people (like in this survey) would care more about the story, then things like Attack on Titan or One Punch Man (I know it's a comedy but still the "story" is stupid) wouldn't be that highly ranked.

PS: It's my opinion, and anybody can disagree with it.
Jun 4, 2016 2:10 AM

Jan 2013
Mamster-P said:
Zelkiiro said:
The narrative and the characters are paramount, and are the most important part of any piece of entertainment. Let me just mention that one of my favorite anime of all time, Fantastic Children, has atrociously bad artwork (except for the flashback episodes--those look great!), but its incredible plotline alone elevates it above the vast majority of every other anime ever made.

And as usual, everything you say pisses me off.

great bait mate, but it doesn't change what i said, im pretty sure the artsyle is the first thing people tend to notice.... i don't see how it doesn't come first

Yes, visuals are the first thing people notice, but it doesnt mean that everybody cares for it, lol. Its like judging people by their look. You see the look first but if the person is ugly in your opinion, it doesnt mean that you cant like this person. You might even start to like this persons look once you spend enough time together.

OP: story. If I cared for the visuals I would have to remove pretty much everything from my favourites list, except 1 anime (I probably would even watch these shows in the first place).
fuyukiJun 4, 2016 5:36 AM
Jun 4, 2016 2:11 AM

Jul 2015
in a action anime : if the animation during fights are bad , i will drop it
i care about the story but the visuals also play a big role of my enjoyment
Jun 4, 2016 2:13 AM

Jul 2015
Orange-tenshi said:
well if most people (like in this survey) would care more about the story, then things like Attack on Titan or One Punch Man (I know it's a comedy but still the "story" is stupid) wouldn't be that highly ranked.

Snk have interesting and exciting plot
fight me
Jun 4, 2016 2:26 AM

Mar 2016
Both are important to me tbh . So I can't really pick .
Jun 4, 2016 2:34 AM

Jun 2015
Story. I only have few exceptions of animation I won't watch.
Jun 4, 2016 2:45 AM

Feb 2016
story

visual is good too but only for five minutes. If the story is crap, I drop right away
Jun 4, 2016 2:50 AM

Oct 2011
Visuals serve as an enjoyment enhancer but story matters more in the long run.
Jun 4, 2016 2:50 AM

Sep 2015
I vote story because Fairy Tail season one kept me interested despite being in 360p quality but season 2 is in 720p and I have to watch it in 2x speed to prevent boredom.
Jun 4, 2016 2:52 AM

Feb 2015
"both" option ?
....................................................................................................
Jun 4, 2016 3:41 AM

Oct 2015
It's too hard to decide, I guess I like story/characterisation that makes good use of the animated medium the most? (so, both?)
Jun 4, 2016 3:45 AM

Jan 2016
I have always mentioned this whenever I have a chance...anime is a visual storytelling medium...How the visuals and story mesh together is what I ultimately care about..
Jun 4, 2016 3:47 AM

Dec 2015
50/50 !!

Story is the most important bit. But still, if the visuals are bad, I couldn't care any less about the story either!
Jun 4, 2016 4:13 AM

Dec 2014
tragedydesu said:
Orange-tenshi said:

fight me

Like what is interesting in
It is the same bullcrap D.Gray man pulled at the end.
And what can be interesting in Eren??? That guy is literally worse MC then Amano Yukkiteru + has an IQ of 5.
We STILL don't know shit about what's going on and that would be fine in a mystery anime ,but it's just plain bad writing in my opinion, that

And what else could be intersting? The fights? Well they are really well animated but we all know who lives and who just doesn't have to, and why the hell would I care about some crew members who just came up in the previous episode?
Jun 4, 2016 4:35 AM

Jul 2013
Depends.

In an action anime, for what I care the most is for the visuals. If you are going to include fights, I want the fights to be cool, without QUALITY moments or sloppy animation. I just want two people to beat each other, so has the decency to animate it well.
The same applies to harems or shows who are mindless fun. I don't need a complex story to enjoy it, just give me cute girls with good designs and I'm sold.

In animes who are not that reliable in action (mystery, hystorical...) I prefer to have a decent story, since a good plot is vital to enhance the elements of mystery or to develop certain characters.

However, my final response is that an anime who have a good story and good visuals is the better option (obviously).

Orange-tenshi said:
D. Gray Man doesn't have mindless enemies.
Jun 4, 2016 4:42 AM

Dec 2014
I'm talking about:
Jun 4, 2016 4:44 AM

Jul 2015
Orange-tenshi said:
tragedydesu said:

fight me

And what can be interesting in Eren??? That guy is literally worse MC then Amano Yukkiteru + has an IQ of 5.
We STILL don't know shit about what's going on and that would be fine in a mystery anime ,but it's just plain bad writing in my opinion, that

And what else could be intersting? The fights? Well they are really well animated but we all know who lives and who just doesn't have to, and why the hell would I care about some crew members who just came up in the previous episode?

well this is your opinion
i give you the reasons why i loved that anime :
1- the setting is just fantastic
2-characters : eren is a strong willed individual with a horrific past and many a secret that even he doesn’t know , true he is weak (during the anime i dont read manga) and that makes the fights more interesting , you know why i hated Opm Mahouha hellsing ultimate because the mc is so op and that make the fights so damn boring
Also Snk have a lot of strong characters like Mikasa annie levi .etc...
3-fights : damn entertaining , short and well animated , you dont need to watch 30 ep for 1 fight (cough chimera ant arc cough )
4- ost : is epic no one can deny that anime have one of the best ost
in my opinion Snk really deserve his popularity is one of the best thing i watched , and every anime i watch now i just mediocre to shit comapred to Snk
Jun 4, 2016 4:49 AM

Jul 2013
Orange-tenshi said:
I'm talking about:
What the Earl wants it's too find the Heart of the Innocence to destroy it and assure his victory for good. He hasn't find it out, so until that, he wouldn't make the decisive movement. Anyway, the manga is still on-going and after some revelation in the latest chapters, I can see why the Earl hasn't done any significant movement yet.

Jun 4, 2016 5:09 AM

Dec 2014
tragedydesu said:
Orange-tenshi said:

well this is your opinion
i give you the reasons why i loved that anime :
1- the setting is just fantastic
2-characters : eren is a strong willed individual with a horrific past and many a secret that even he doesn’t know , true he is weak (during the anime i dont read manga) and that makes the fights more interesting , you know why i hated Opm Mahouha hellsing ultimate because the mc is so op and that make the fights so damn boring
Also Snk have a lot of strong characters like Mikasa annie levi .etc...
3-fights : damn entertaining , short and well animated , you dont need to watch 30 ep for 1 fight (cough chimera ant arc cough )
4- ost : is epic no one can deny that anime have one of the best ost
in my opinion Snk really deserve his popularity is one of the best thing i watched , and every anime i watch now i just mediocre to shit comapred to Snk

Well starting in revese order:
4, the ops ti great but it just loses from the point when the Colossus appears the secon time. Why? Because I just can not take them seriously. And it is ridiculous when I watch Levi killing 2 titans with a epic ost, BECAUSE I can't take them seriously.
3, fights : yeah I give you that much, but what are we sacrificing for that amount of CG? Well we get at least 1 replay of it (budget cut) + ~1,5 min litearlly still images. That can't be entertaining for me. I can't enjoy an anime that is 20% well done fight scenes 15% replays of that 65% "normal" animation, and 10% filtereed still images. That is unforgiveable for me.
2, characters: well I start with the good ones:
  • Mikasa: starts of good, with a tolerable Eren feris and just gets forgotten during the later stages.
  • Levi: I loved how they introduced him. Later he still remains good, but it started to irritate me when 2-3 people are talking about him and his plan 2 meters behind him , and he just doesnt care (well it would make him cooler, if he would actually have moments in these episodes.
  • Pixis , Erwin , Jean : mainly good characters but we still don't know anything about them, so I can't give them good rating.
  • Armin: the most useless character in the anime literally does nothing. He is smart enough to reaize what the leadership realized like ages ago.
  • Eren: horrific past: like most people in hte anime. Stron willed: like anyone in the military. His power makes him MC only (SORRY he needed htat power to make him survive). His intentions are so one-dimentional htat it's so frustrating to watch Erwin and the others struggle because of his stupidity.
1, setting: The setting doesn't mean anything if you don't do something meaningful with it. Anf it didn't happen yet. (it could happen in like 3-4 years, maybe).

BUT NOTE THIS: it is my opinion and you won't be aable to make me change it unless you apply soem objective reasoning, beacause : awesome and cool just doesn't mean a thing to me. And I also know that most pepole has their own opinion so I don't want to force my on you . Enjoy Attack on Titan I won't be mad at you. I respect you opinon with thecondition that you respect mine too. Peace!
Jun 4, 2016 5:10 AM

Dec 2014
Illyricus said:
Orange-tenshi said:
I'm talking about:
What the Earl wants it's too find the Heart of the Innocence to destroy it and assure his victory for good. He hasn't find it out, so until that, he wouldn't make the decisive movement. Anyway, the manga is still on-going and after some revelation in the latest chapters, I can see why the Earl hasn't done any significant movement yet.

If the Earl wants to do that he would already have done it. It's clearly stated that he CAN do it.
Jun 4, 2016 5:12 AM

Jul 2013
Orange-tenshi said:
Illyricus said:

If the Earl wants to do that he would already have done it. It's clearly stated that he CAN do it.
Only if he would know when the Heart is, which he doesn't currently.
Jun 4, 2016 5:20 AM

Dec 2015
Anime is animation, a visual medium, it's not a book.
Visuals are by far more important.
Jun 4, 2016 5:22 AM

Jan 2015
Kezone said:
I think story can make up for shitty visuals, but visuals can't make up for a shitty story.
Agreed.30 character limit is annoying.
Jun 4, 2016 5:24 AM

Dec 2014
Illyricus said:
Orange-tenshi said:

It doesn't really matter if you thing about it. If you eliminate all of your enemies then no one can stop you.
Jun 4, 2016 5:31 AM

Jul 2013
Orange-tenshi said:
Illyricus said:
It doesn't really matter if you thing about it. If you eliminate all of your enemies then no one can stop you.
If you eliminate the Heart (who is the fount of all the other Innocences), the others Innocences will dissapear and leave the Exorcists unnarmed and can be killed without any opposition. It's easier, more economic and you risk less. Apart that, like I said, there is a reason in the manga that represses the Earl from went totally evil.
Jun 4, 2016 5:50 AM

Feb 2016
visual, then story next

poor visual and poor character design is not enjoyable to watch.
that's why I never watch 90s anime, even the story has well written
Jun 4, 2016 5:50 AM
Nov 2015
Why not both. And visuals and story are very important
Jun 4, 2016 5:52 AM

May 2014
I care about the combination of all the elements that compose an anime. An anime can be greater or worse that the sum of its part. I won't give a decent rating to something I consider awful just because it has above average animation and nice background. Everything should to be well-put together.

mbino said:
visual, then story next

poor visual and poor character design is not enjoyable to watch.
that's why I never watch 90s anime, even the story has well written

90s style might not suit your tastes, but don't call it "poor". Evangelion has awesome animation, art, directing, composition, cinematography, and whatever along these lines. Something that tons of recent anime don't offer. But hey, they have pretty colors.
parazeJun 4, 2016 5:56 AM
Jun 4, 2016 6:04 AM

Oct 2007
I'm definitely into it because of the story. Animation and character design can impact how much I enjoy something or it appeals me on a first impression, but to a lesser extent than plot.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jun 4, 2016 6:09 AM

Dec 2015
I usually won't give much a shit about the visuals if it has a really good story, I barely can read a book anymore, anime is where I go for storytelling.
Jun 4, 2016 6:24 AM

May 2016
Mamster-P said:
Zelkiiro said:
The narrative and the characters are paramount, and are the most important part of any piece of entertainment. Let me just mention that one of my favorite anime of all time, Fantastic Children, has atrociously bad artwork (except for the flashback episodes--those look great!), but its incredible plotline alone elevates it above the vast majority of every other anime ever made.

And as usual, everything you say pisses me off.

great bait mate, but it doesn't change what i said, im pretty sure the artsyle is the first thing people tend to notice.... i don't see how it doesn't come first

It's the first thing you notice, yes, but it's far from being the most important thing.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 4, 2016 6:40 AM

Oct 2013
Orange-tenshi said:

OK, let's switch this perspective, how about the snk manga that a lot of people claim the art sucks, why does it has a high rating then and is selling millions? I don't really even like one punch man but the original manga art looks like a 5 year old drawing and a lot of people still like the series. I guess these two example destroy your theory, you forgot that these series has a source material that gets praise also.

Also on topic, going by the vote count, I guess most people would be cool if all anime has CGI and ping pong tier visuals and just bad visual s overall.
keragammingJun 4, 2016 6:47 AM
Jun 4, 2016 6:40 AM

Nov 2015
Visuals,duh.I mean if someone cared about a story he would probably read a book,jump of a liff or anything that is more productive.....Silly question.
Jun 4, 2016 6:41 AM
Jul 2018
Grimmgeta said:
Great visuals can't save a bad story, but a great story can usually save bad visuals.

Took the words right out of my mouth...

As for me and my personal preferences: story, characters and sound all come before art. It's literally the least important aspect of an anime for me.
Jun 4, 2016 6:47 AM

Apr 2015
Story and characters over visuals and sounds for me, although the comparison is only probably 3:1
Jun 4, 2016 6:54 AM

Jul 2015
Wensbane said:
Grimmgeta said:
Great visuals can't save a bad story, but a great story can usually save bad visuals.

Took the words right out of my mouth...

As for me and my personal preferences: story, characters and sound all come before art. It's literally the least important aspect of an anime for me.

Agreed. I'm not sure how I'd place characters and story, I think I'd say Charactars>Story>Visuals.
Jun 4, 2016 7:25 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
mouvite said:
Mamster-P said:

Yes, visuals are the first thing people notice, but it doesnt mean that everybody cares for it, lol. Its like judging people by their look. You see the look first but if the person is ugly in your opinion, it doesnt mean that you cant like this person. You might even start to like this persons look once you spend enough time together.

OP: story. If I cared for the visuals I would have to remove pretty much everything from my favourites list, except 1 anime (I probably would even watch these shows in the first place).

Zelkiiro said:
Mamster-P said:

It's the first thing you notice, yes, but it's far from being the most important thing.

i'd rather watch a silent anime, an anime that actually makes no sense, an anime with no plot whatsoever or an anime music video than a oscar worthy non anime... but thats just me

story for me is the bonus, cause anything can have an amazing story, but not anything can be an anime, the anime part comes first to me (obviously that can go beyond visuals, but still)

and if the visuals are ugly, im not watching. idgaf if its a written masterpiece... doesn't matter if i can't even bare to look at the screen
Jun 4, 2016 7:42 AM

Dec 2014
Illyricus said:
Orange-tenshi said:
If you eliminate the Heart (who is the fount of all the other Innocences), the others Innocences will dissapear and leave the Exorcists unnarmed and can be killed without any opposition. It's easier, more economic and you risk less. Apart that, like I said, there is a reason in the manga that represses the Earl from went totally evil.
But you just said it beforehand, that he does not have the knowledge of where the hearth is. So my way of elimination all enemies (maybe you get the heart, who knows?) is more reliably giving you the needed end result
Jun 4, 2016 7:44 AM

Dec 2014
keragamming said:
Orange-tenshi said:

OK, let's switch this perspective, how about the snk manga that a lot of people claim the art sucks, why does it has a high rating then and is selling millions? I don't really even like one punch man but the original manga art looks like a 5 year old drawing and a lot of people still like the series. I guess these two example destroy your theory, you forgot that these series has a source material that gets praise also.

Also on topic, going by the vote count, I guess most people would be cool if all anime has CGI and ping pong tier visuals and just bad visual s overall.

Destroy my theory ????
Well how is OP man selling? Well it started with the anime adaptations isn't it?
Just look at the statistics of the amount sold before the anime release, and after (or both shows mentioned). Then think about it.
Jun 4, 2016 7:48 AM

Mar 2014
Lord_Sithis said:
Evangelion has, let's be frank, Bad visuals. The same happens with Berserk, and many other anime. But they have a good story.
Of course, visuals are important, but the story is in my opinion the centre of most anime.

You serious ? TBH Evangelion has some of the best visuals of anime from its time as far as i can tell, and so does Berserk.

OT, Story is obviously more important, but good visuals are a nice plus.
A good story makes up for bad visuals but good visuals don't make up for a bad story. Exemples are Higurashi and God Eater, Higurashi looks like complete shit but so far the story is pretty interesting while God Eater has really impressive visuals ( Well, it's UFOTABLE -_- ) but so far the story was pretty bad.

Profile Picture and Avatar/Signature made by SenpieX, requested in this thread :https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1568530&show=0
Jun 4, 2016 7:49 AM
Jun 2016
Jou-dan said:
a lot of people seem to have a preference for one or the other

on the one hand, you get people who rate highly for story and characters, even if the direction and animation isn't that good

on the other, you get people who rate highly for great animation, stylish visuals and stuff like that

which do you prefer and why?

I'm actually both. If the visuals and story aren't that good, I most likely will not be continuing reading the manga or watching the anime. For me, what keeps me watching is the animation, art, characters, plot, story, action, comedy, voices, acting, and music. If a series doesn't meet those expectations of a good anime, I won't watch it anymore. All of those apply to manga except for voices, acting, and music obviously.

Hope this all made sense. ^^;;;
Jun 4, 2016 7:51 AM

Nov 2015
Story. As long as the visuals are passable, I'll watch a good story. But if the story is shit, I'll drop a series no matter how good the visuals are.
"There's your truth and there's my truth. As for the Universal Truth - it doesn't exist."
Jun 4, 2016 7:53 AM

Mar 2014
Orange-tenshi said:
keragamming said:

Destroy my theory ????
Well how is OP man selling? Well it started with the anime adaptations isn't it?
Just look at the statistics of the amount sold before the anime release, and after (or both shows mentioned). Then think about it.

Honestly i can destroy your argument right there, Most people here on MAL ( And by most i mean well over 80% easily ) rate only by enjoyment, nothing to do with story or even visuals, just enjoyment, which explains why anime like One Punch Man ( Which has a great comedy story actually ), Attack on Titan ( Which has a good story, not great but good ) and SAO ( Which has an average story and awful characters ) are so highly rated.

Profile Picture and Avatar/Signature made by SenpieX, requested in this thread :https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1568530&show=0
Jun 4, 2016 8:02 AM

Oct 2013
Orange-tenshi said:
keragamming said:

Destroy my theory ????

First thing you were talking about ranking, you imply that the only reason these two series are ranked highly is because of the visual, since you're saying they have little to no story, which is your opinion and I will respect that. I like how you didn't even mention snk in your reply, the one I truly care about *cries*

OK first thing, I was talking about the original opm you know the one with the shitty art? This one http://www.mymanga.me/manga/OnepunchMan_ONE/1/10 no pretty visuals there, so why do they like it then? A lot of people give the original manga a lot of praise and they love it, this is why it got a redraw version.

-_-And what a poor come back, no shit Einstein, every source material that got a anime adaptation has got a boost in sales and popularity, the point I was making is thst these two series was selling well/being praize before the even got a anime adaptation Even though the art style for both series isn't that good. Though snk art style has improved immensely.

Opm was selling around 500k before the anime and now it is selling 800k.

Snk was selling between 700k-800k before its anime and now it is selling 2 million per volume.

Point is those numbers before anime are very impressive, only a few series sell that much without a anime adaptation, heck only few series sell that much even with a anime adaptation.
keragammingJun 4, 2016 8:10 AM
Jun 4, 2016 8:14 AM

Apr 2016
Story is definitely more important but terrible art can take away from the story.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 4, 2016 8:19 AM

Oct 2015
Story. The visuals could be as amazing as possible, but if the story is terrible it isn't going to hold my interest.
Jun 4, 2016 8:21 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
mouvite said:

Well, it probably depends on the type anime you like to watch. As far as I know you mostly like ecchi and fanservice stuff, where indeed the story is just a bonus. So I can see your reasoning. It doesnt work for all anime types tho.

Yes those are my favorites but Ill watch pretty much anything that's not yaoi and my rule still applies. If I can't look at the screen I'm not watching no matter how "good" the show is

There's several low to non ecchi anime I've watched that I was more interested in than some higher ecchi shows, just depends on the anime

I'm gonna assume the ppl who prioritize story are more "anime" fans in general and mostly watch anime and those who voted story are more likely to be big fans of non anime stuff as well

I only really like anime cuz nothing else has near the same appeal on any level, especially visually

morshuwarrior said:
Visuals for me. Visuals are the main reason I'm watching anime in the first place.
I mean, story and such are important too, but if the art doesn't look very appealing then I probably won't bother. Luckily in anime, there's very few of those shows.

Basically, even when the story is pretty meh, as long as the visuals look nice I'll have a good time... there are exceptions though.

I would've thought I wrote this lol
EcchiGodMamsterJun 4, 2016 8:27 AM
Jun 4, 2016 8:32 AM

May 2016
Story. Great visuals but terrible story? Looks like I'll be adding it to my dropped list.
Visuals can still affect the chance of me watching it though.

Recommend me some more villainess stories (manga/light novel) please! ❤
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

235 by perseii »»
2 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 2 hours ago

8 by Spunkert »»
2 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

60 by Pinoffin »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

29 by Hitagi__Furude »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 5 hours ago

13 by cyandaqil »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.