Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 20, 2016 6:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, war really can change people.

I thought the episode was pretty tense especially about how Jiro views the military in this timeline. Jonathan's background story is something I found interesting. His twisted ideals really made himself into a monster this episode imo. I feel bad for what he experienced though...:(
May 20, 2016 6:41 AM

Jan 2015

The episode tells about superhuman intervene in the war at Mekong Delta.
Even with that superior body, it clearly seems that Jonathan still can't remove his deepest trauma against everything that spiritual-related more than when he remember shooting the natives. Just like the altar he saw for just a few second earlier.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
May 20, 2016 10:12 AM
Oct 2015
ooi rubbish, plz do a fking conclusion already u left with 5 more episodes. Fuck the editor, i really like how the way they present in season 1 even it is quite confusing but for fuck sake since it is 2nd season can u explain everything and make a damn good conclusion. Its not like u will go for another more season since this is an original animation and the most is a fking 24episodes. Can u at least give a memorable mention to kiko whether can she be with jiro or not, tired with all new superhuman where the original plot is going far away already.I have high hope in this anime ,please dont ruin it for my fucking sake and all the viewers out there
May 20, 2016 10:31 AM
Apr 2016
Extremely indecent of you, if anything, saying "all the viewers". You might hate all the talk, the diversity and many parallels presented. Others might not and do not. Look closely into the subtitles, you are the enemy.
Re:formed
May 20, 2016 10:54 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
PTSD...it's actually hilarious that i have seen THIS EXACT CASE with the EXACT SAME GUY (design) in Young Black Jack. xD
May 20, 2016 1:16 PM

Feb 2015
so, US in this anime is messed up. well, i guess that's war for ya.
good episode overall. i enjoy it but not as enjoyable like the previous episode imo.
next episode look interesting. looking foward for the next episode :D
May 20, 2016 2:05 PM
Jun 2010
Oh Germany America and their aryans cyborgs...
May 20, 2016 2:07 PM

Aug 2011
So now they are after Jiro to make him an energy cell. To obtain the ultimate energy supply. One to suffer for the benefit of many. Such a Unitarian approach to things.
May 20, 2016 3:46 PM

Jan 2015
Reminded me a lot of Young Black Jack. Vietnam War PTSD flashbacks + weapons used to replace (and add) limbs.

Apparently Jiro "holds the key to the future global energy crisis."

(This is the episode Gen Urobuchi wrote, right?)
May 20, 2016 4:19 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
So Urobutcher wrote this episode huh...That explains why this episode was extra deep

All in all I loved it and the whole PTSD/War thing always gets to me
May 20, 2016 6:59 PM

Jun 2014
Apparently the US wants to wipe out all the yokai in Asia. I feel the wrath of Emi coming soon.
May 20, 2016 9:39 PM

Dec 2013
So now Jiro doesn't care about the fact that the foreign superhuhman he wanted to help just slaughtered two innocent human civilians from his own country, so long as he can help said superhuman BECAUSE he wanted to be a good superhuman when he first acquired his powers, eh?

He seriously needs to get his morals sorted out.
HESTIAAPPROVES
May 20, 2016 9:47 PM
Aug 2014
Tevens said:
so, US in this anime is messed up.

In this anime? It was a pretty accurate despiction of the actual US army. I can't believe there are still americans that think that the wars they fight are for freedom and not for resources, land and cultural influence, and tend to forget that their goverment helps dictators in third world countries to take over.
May 20, 2016 10:35 PM

Dec 2014
dm106 said:
Tevens said:
so, US in this anime is messed up.

In this anime? It was a pretty accurate despiction of the actual US army. I can't believe there are still americans that think that the wars they fight are for freedom and not for resources, land and cultural influence, and tend to forget that their goverment helps dictators in third world countries to take over.

It's pretty common, actually. We're aware that our Presidential election this year is a fucking joke, but we spend most of our schooling learning about the American Revolution and the World Wars. And besides, does anybody like hearing about how their homeland is full of fucked up people? If my experience watching this episode is how Japanese have felt watching the rest of this series, then no wonder they're on edge about it.

Still, it was a really good episode. Even if the American stuff made me shudder at points, they've got a point. Americans aren't anywhere near as good of a people as they'd (we'd) like to be sometimes. And again, it mirrors the first episode of the second cour, with foreign forces deciding your morals for you. No one likes hearing that their homeland is full of fucked up people.

On a side note, while Raito's been slowly getting more and more screentime as the cour goes on I really want to see him (or Fuurota) have a starring episode again. This season's generally been amazing, but the episodes with Raito's steady breakdown and Fuurota's struggle between childhood and 'maturity' were by and large my favorites.

But as long as it keeps up this kind of good pace, them I'll be satisfied with my care. Keep on keeping on, ConRevo.
May 21, 2016 12:44 AM

Aug 2013
This cour of the show is starting to lose me a bit.

It started out amazing; Jiro gets his ability unlocked and reveals the truth about Rainbow Knight, and other cool stuff happens.

Then/now...it's basically turned into ethical fight of the week. Some shit with some random superhuman happens, and then we see how Jiro and the Bureau members bring their own morals/ethics/justice to the situation.

While that in itself doesn't seem bad, it kind of becomes redundant after all of the crazy shit they set up in the first half of the show. The first cour was all about teasing us with the things that happen in future events:
- Furrouta seeing the bug girl again after killing her entire race
- Jiro fighting the kid with the mech and Jaguar because the kid has a very black and white sense of good and evil.
- Earth-chan being rescued and Jiro fighting Raito over that android
- Emi making yandere hints about how Jiro belongs to her no matter what
- Claude and his premonitions and stuff about Kikko.

It feels like all of those important events fell to the wayside with only like 5 episode to go. The only one they really touched on is the Furrouta incident, because after the girl was woken from her shell in the Human-man episode, the very next episode took place after she confronted Furrouta and they mentioned it in passing.

They only really showed all of those events in brief context, while the emphasized how big the rift between Jiro and the Bureau became, to the point of all out fighting. So I was really expecting them to re-touch on all of those events in full context and I was expecting much more physical confrontation between Jiro and the Bureau. Christ, Jiro openly didn't even trust Emi by the end of the first cour, yet that seems to have been completely forgotten already.

Now with only a few episodes ago, it seems like they're maaaaayyyve puling the story towards Jiro being wanted as a tool for unlimited energy by Master Ultima and his group. Its still unsure whether they'll actually follow through with that or not.
And even if they do, I'm sure it will just continue to de-legitimatize the "rift" between Jiro and the Buerau, because obviously we know whos going to come to his rescue.

Honestly the way this is playing out atm, depending on how drastically the course and pacing of the show changes in the last few episodes, it almost feels like it would warrant a another season. I'm skeptical about them being able to write a satisfying conclusion in the time remaining. I would also question the ability to make another season entirely, since I doubt this series is super popular among Japanese. The entire show is basically calling them out on a lot of their political and societal bullshit around the postwar era. And we know Japanese FUCKING HATE to be reminded of their shitty moments and being called out on being wrong. It's up to Bones though. Maybe they just don't give a shit and would write more anyway.

naschyamamoto said:
dm106 said:

It's pretty common, actually. We're aware that our Presidential election this year is a fucking joke, but we spend most of our schooling learning about the American Revolution and the World Wars. And besides, does anybody like hearing about how their homeland is full of fucked up people? If my experience watching this episode is how Japanese have felt watching the rest of this series, then no wonder they're on edge about it.

Still, it was a really good episode. Even if the American stuff made me shudder at points, they've got a point. Americans aren't anywhere near as good of a people as they'd (we'd) like to be sometimes. And again, it mirrors the first episode of the second cour, with foreign forces deciding your morals for you. No one likes hearing that their homeland is full of fucked up people.

On a side note, while Raito's been slowly getting more and more screentime as the cour goes on I really want to see him (or Fuurota) have a starring episode again. This season's generally been amazing, but the episodes with Raito's steady breakdown and Fuurota's struggle between childhood and 'maturity' were by and large my favorites.

But as long as it keeps up this kind of good pace, them I'll be satisfied with my care. Keep on keeping on, ConRevo.

Yea I found that pretty funny this episode. The entire show has just been reminding Japanese that they did a lot of fucked up shit in their time and haven't been the greatest or most moral society. And they gotta see it in the show every week.

Americans finally get the dickens for one episode and we're like damn, they're accusing us of some fucked up shit. That kinda hurts. Feels weird being at the end of the barrel for once, lol.
May 21, 2016 7:11 AM
Nov 2014
That is the way the world should work though- freedom to openly criticize and call out corrupt or governments committing morally ambigious crimes/interventions. If the world governments openly spoke the truth- the people in all of the countries of the world and even the countries being accused would be able to make the moral decision to support or not support the continuation of said intervention/political or economic power play.
May 21, 2016 8:29 PM

Jan 2014
Holy crap that was intense. That poor guy was unfortunately far too gone to be saved.

Interesting to see that in all of what we've so far of this season Emi and Kikko are surprisingly friendly even though Emi was almost murderous. I wonder what the heck she mean with her "true enemy" is she fighting the USA army for some reason?

Also Master Ultima IS after Jiro. That just doesn't any good.
May 22, 2016 8:51 AM
Mar 2015
Apocalypse now! and First blood reference
May 22, 2016 9:05 AM
Mar 2015
Urobuchi really loves Cthulhu mythos.
May 23, 2016 7:19 AM

Nov 2013
Jonesy974 said:

It started out amazing; Jiro gets his ability unlocked and reveals the truth about Rainbow Knight, and other cool stuff happens.

Then/now...it's basically turned into ethical fight of the week. Some shit with some random superhuman happens, and then we see how Jiro and the Bureau members bring their own morals/ethics/justice to the situation.

While that in itself doesn't seem bad, it kind of becomes redundant after all of the crazy shit they set up in the first half of the show. The first cour was all about teasing us with the things that happen in future events:
- Jiro fighting the kid with the mech and Jaguar because the kid has a very black and white sense of good and evil.

It feels like all of those important events fell to the wayside with only like 5 episode to go. The only one they really touched on is the Furrouta incident, because after the girl was woken from her shell in the Human-man episode, the very next episode took place after she confronted Furrouta and they mentioned it in passing.

They only really showed all of those events in brief context, while the emphasized how big the rift between Jiro and the Bureau became, to the point of all out fighting. So I was really expecting them to re-touch on all of those events in full context and I was expecting much more physical confrontation between Jiro and the Bureau. Christ, Jiro openly didn't even trust Emi by the end of the first cour, yet that seems to have been completely forgotten already.

Now with only a few episodes ago, it seems like they're maaaaayyyve puling the story towards Jiro being wanted as a tool for unlimited energy by Master Ultima and his group. Its still unsure whether they'll actually follow through with that or not.
And even if they do, I'm sure it will just continue to de-legitimatize the "rift" between Jiro and the Buerau, because obviously we know whos going to come to his rescue.

Honestly the way this is playing out atm, depending on how drastically the course and pacing of the show changes in the last few episodes, it almost feels like it would warrant a another season. I'm skeptical about them being able to write a satisfying conclusion in the time remaining. It's up to Bones though.

Thx bro, wanted to say the same things. Ep 1 n 2 of this 2nd cour was great. Those episodes indeed introduced new characters, but those characters could become a medium to reveal more of the main stories. How Raito became like that, Grose Augen, Jiro's power, Rainbow knight, etc. Some of later episodes are focusing too much on the new character of the episode (which seem won't be appearing again later -.-) and the main characters are just there involved within the event.

I do hope they will do better in the remaining episodes. I hope they had planned this episodes carefully and give us a good last episodes.
May 23, 2016 12:03 PM

Feb 2012
jejehartadi said:
Jonesy974 said:

Honestly the way this is playing out atm, depending on how drastically the course and pacing of the show changes in the last few episodes, it almost feels like it would warrant a another season. I'm skeptical about them being able to write a satisfying conclusion in the time remaining. It's up to Bones though.

Thx bro, wanted to say the same things. Ep 1 n 2 of this 2nd cour was great. Those episodes indeed introduced new characters, but those characters could become a medium to reveal more of the main stories. How Raito became like that, Grose Augen, Jiro's power, Rainbow knight, etc. Some of later episodes are focusing too much on the new character of the episode (which seem won't be appearing again later -.-) and the main characters are just there involved within the event.

I do hope they will do better in the remaining episodes. I hope they had planned this episodes carefully and give us a good last episodes.

Paranoia Agent was a bunch of episodic social satire that wrapped up its main plot with only three episodes left, and most of said episodes didn't concentrate on the main cast. Concrete Revolutio has four episodes that haven't aired. That's plenty of time to make a satisfying conclusion.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
May 23, 2016 7:18 PM

Nov 2013
Flawfinder said:

Paranoia Agent was a bunch of episodic social satire that wrapped up its main plot with only three episodes left, and most of said episodes didn't concentrate on the main cast. Concrete Revolutio has four episodes that haven't aired. That's plenty of time to make a satisfying conclusion.

Yeah, that's why I said I hope they had planned the few last episodes carefully. Haven't watched paranoia agent but some series rushed everything on 2 or 3 last episodes and they weren't very successful imo.

Also maybe it's just my own personal expectation and disappointment. When the 1st cour ended, I thought season 2 would focus on how Jiro recruits his group and fight the government and bureau (since in season 1 bureau made Jiro looks like a criminal), and each episode will be focusing on the characters from season 1 again (Raito, Judas, Earth-chan, Yumihiko, etc.). Alas, my expectation is wrong.
JJHRTDMay 23, 2016 7:27 PM
May 24, 2016 1:08 AM

Aug 2013
Flawfinder said:
jejehartadi said:

I'm not saying they cant do it, I'm just saying the odds are a bit stacked against them.

This is Bones here. We all know how much of a rushed mess Chaika S2 was.
May 24, 2016 4:34 AM

Feb 2012
Jonesy974 said:

I'm not saying they cant do it, I'm just saying the odds are a bit stacked against them.

The odds are stacked against all anime though.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Jun 1, 2016 7:53 PM

Sep 2011
I loved this episode, it was so bleak and brutally honest about how war doesnt just end with the battles themselves and how that can change a person with the best intentions into what johnathan wound up as.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 8, 2016 8:31 AM

Dec 2015
A PTSD Vietnam veteran, USA cold war imperialism and some hint (from Emi) about a greater threat?
+ the post-WW2 global energy solution is... Jirô, the "nuclear bomb" kid. (not surprised here)
At first, I expected some Rambo "happy-ending" for GI JOE.

5/5

derenceong said:
ooi rubbish, plz do a fking conclusion already u left with 5 more episodes. tired with all new superhuman where the original plot is going far away already

It's strange, I was almost certain the "plot" of the show was an exploration of the 60s-70s Japan political/social situation ? (50s too, if you want)

Rei_IIIJun 8, 2016 8:35 AM
Jun 9, 2016 7:02 AM
Oct 2015
Rei366 said:
It's strange, I was almost certain the "plot" of the show was an exploration of the 60s-70s Japan political/social situation ? (50s too, if you want)

Ya you are right with the setting but the plot is not really about that,it is more to about the conflict of superhuman and politics of mankind where jiro is the one reflect as superhuman while bureau represent human even thou their are mainly superhuman too but they work under them. So when i meant going back to the actual line it is actually about the story surrounding jiro and how he want to solve the whole situation,i dont care whether how it ended but at least give a damn conclusion.Wow, finally a good feedback from mal user where no harsh word is used as most of users are the same kind~
Jul 1, 2016 2:27 AM

Mar 2015
Concrete Revolutio's take at a superhero look at the effects of PTSD, nice.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Oct 18, 2016 7:49 AM
Mar 2012
Interesting focus on mental stress & brainwashing these super soldiers into xenophobia against anything non-human. He couldn't even stand the altar or forest. Setup US with ties to Ultima, but why conflict against yokai specifically still a mystery.
Jul 21, 2017 7:39 PM

Nov 2009
This show is really off the rails now, Jiro was still trying to defend Jonathan even after he murdered 2 innocent people so just what the hell is going on? Season 1 was so much better.
Sep 4, 2017 11:44 PM

Dec 2012
Holy crap. 49th Shinka now. How far are they going? To 50? Jiro really about to be 30 when this is all over.
Fuurouta is back. Now he's gone.
Damn. Johnathan killed them.
Dat body.
Dat finisher.
Dat fusion.

Nice "Butch" episode.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jul 2, 2022 12:18 PM

Aug 2017
A PTSD Vietnam veteran, USA cold war imperialism and some hint (from Emi) about a greater threat?

I thought Emi was talking about the US since they deemed Yokai as enemies, but I guess I'm wrong.

So not only did ConRevo piss of some Japanese audiences, I imagine this episode pissed off some USians as well, haha. Hat tip to the writers. Given how many political events were referenced, I wonder if we'll get to some of the more extreme stuff of the era? Like plane hijackings for example. We already saw student protests.

The news in the end call for stricted border controls after discovering a "Yokai refugee from Southeast Asia area of conflict", is it a jab against Japanese immigration policies or something? The US fabricated the story so that their "human weapon" became a "refugee from a warzone" in the eyes of the audiences.

I wonder how Jiro thought Jonathan was supposed to live in the US...wouldn't he be "offed" there as well? Or would he try betting on going public and spreading as much awareness as possible before getting killed?

US's attachable limbs were like from a collectible LEGO toy lol. Their joints gave me a laugh.

Also liked the juxtaposition between a "human" country and Japan&Vietnam with indigenous spirits, gods, etc. It was an interesting way to frame things. The US colonel mentioned eradicating indigenous cultures, so I was thinking whether we'll get something about Ainu for example. Well, there was the Olympics episode but still.

Rei_III said:
St0rmblade said:
So not only did ConRevo piss of some Japanese audiences, I imagine this episode pissed off some USians as well, haha. Hat tip to the writers.

Are there traces of japanese watchers (or, I presume, non-watchers, since those are usually more into criticizing a show, based on french experience) or maybe organisations, pessure groups reacting against the series?

Not that I'm aware of since I don't know Japanese, but I haven't seen a mention of it in English-speaking reactions to the show except that one informative commentator in these threads who gave me the idea. Japanese wikipedia doesn't mention it, though. Maybe we could track down Japanese sites similar to MAL where people write reviews and machine translate them...
St0rmbladeJul 10, 2022 1:35 PM
Jul 10, 2022 1:22 PM

Dec 2015
St0rmblade said:
So not only did ConRevo piss of some Japanese audiences, I imagine this episode pissed off some USians as well, haha. Hat tip to the writers.

Are there traces of japanese watchers (or, I presume, non-watchers, since those are usually more into criticizing a show, based on french experience) or maybe organisations, pessure groups reacting against the series?

@St0rmblade I liked the commentator who tried to bring up the references and the real world events too (if you mean him).
I have no idea of websites to log your watches in Japan. And I fear it woould mainly be peculiar people flocking there and writing.
Rei_IIIJul 10, 2022 2:17 PM
Oct 27, 2023 4:32 PM

Dec 2018
that was absolutely tragic. poor jonathan.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou - The Last Song Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 3, 2016

29 by StateofOhayo »»
Oct 27, 2023 5:33 PM

Poll: » Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou - The Last Song Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2016

57 by StateofOhayo »»
Oct 27, 2023 6:09 AM

Poll: » Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou - The Last Song Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2016

28 by StateofOhayo »»
Oct 27, 2023 5:46 AM

Poll: » Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou - The Last Song Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2016

66 by Rei_III »»
Jul 10, 2022 2:04 PM

Poll: » Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou - The Last Song Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2016

43 by St0rmblade »»
Jul 3, 2022 1:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.