Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 4, 2016 9:37 AM

Jan 2012
I have a confession, I am austistic to a certain degree. But its not something too extrem nor is something that can been seen from just one look at me. Even if some of us can have our needs and issues, we can still be treated as normal people if we try hard enough. That way, we can go through life without people questioning if we are different or not.

But what matters here in this chatt is Anime, and from that I wonder how it Autism is presented in them as well. So far I have not seen a single anime where someone says they are austistic or that he or she is one. Sure there a lots of characters that we either see as crazy, weird, or stupid, but is that really because of some birth diagnons or is it just fictional made-up personalites all the time?

So, does anyone knows any anime with characters or character in general that you figure has some kind of autistic nature in them?

How I love a game
May 4, 2016 9:41 AM

Sep 2015
not really but seen quite a few characters who are basically born without emotions at all (or for some reason can't express them at all). Well then again that can be considered as a dere type I guess..
May 4, 2016 9:45 AM

Feb 2015
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar.
MANY people said Yume is so austistic so maybe you will like it.
May 4, 2016 9:49 AM

Nov 2015
Most autistic people irl don't write "I am autistic" with black marker on their foreheads before they go to school so the only way anyone might recognize their autism is by their behavior.

In the case of anime, I'm guessing the ones with the more peculiar mannerisms are probably autistic. Not that they're meant to portray autism but it's probably something that the author observed by themselves in real life..
May 4, 2016 9:52 AM

Oct 2014
Shiina from Sakurasou was autistic. I think they did a good job representing it. It would be cool if more characters were autistic, though. I am also slightly autistic (or very autistic if you go by my Youtube comments).
May 4, 2016 10:11 AM

Jan 2016
Shiina Mashi....
zombie_pegasus said:
Shiina from Sakurasou was autistic. I think they did a good job representing it. It would be cool if more characters were autistic, though. I am also slightly autistic (or very autistic if you go by my Youtube comments).

oh, somebody have mentioned it. NVM.
May 4, 2016 10:16 AM

Jul 2015
Don't worry the anime subculture is by misfits -for misfits.
May 4, 2016 10:36 AM

Dec 2015
Something like autism is taboo back in Japan, so people up there are not exactly keen on even visiting a psychologist up there and when characters seem to be autistic to a degree (L from Death Note, Kotomi from Clannad etc.) the creators disagree with those speculations. It's rediculous actually but you can't change a countries mentality like that in a short manner.
May 4, 2016 10:38 AM

Apr 2015
Chuunibyou is the closest character stereotype to autism.
May 4, 2016 10:42 AM

Mar 2014
Autism varies a lot, from people who can't exist within society and need to be fed and have all their other basic needs provided by another person to people who you wouldn't even be able to tell are autistic unless you spent a long time talking to or watching them. It's often characterized by a difficulty in understanding symbolism smile = happy) and in making logical jumps e.g. the aluminum can goes in the small blue trash can, so when you go outside the classroom and have a can, you put in the blue one, regardless of size of shape.

Hitagi seems slightly autistic, though I don't think it's intentional. She speaks bluntly, and the conversation she has with Koyomi in episode 3 when they're talking about her waking him up naked and other sex related stuff, she sounds more like she's trying to solve an equation than have a conversation.
May 4, 2016 10:55 AM
Sep 2015
You said:

I think that is not autism, is a sindrom but isn't a real life sindrom

Dec 2012
Sora, form Sketchbook: Full Color's seemed to me an autistic, probably not the classical form of autism, but close. The anime is a very pleasant watch if you're interested.
Sep 2015
Salokannel2 said:
not really but seen quite a few characters who are basically born without emotions at all (or for some reason can't express them at all). Well then again that can be considered as a dere type I guess..

That isn't autism, is more like asperger
May 4, 2016 10:58 AM

Jan 2012
Well, another thing, in anime people never seem to take diagnoses tests and things like that unless it involves the five senses or stuff like that.

Well, I myself didn"t realised what kind of person I was until my parents told me straight out about it in my teens, That was because if I didn"t fiigured out my own problems by myself I would never had been able to overcome them under all the years that came after.

aicontepig said:
Salokannel2 said:

That isn't autism, is more like asperger

Asperger IS a form of autism.

Austism is literally jsut a basic word for all kinds of different name types

Mod edit: Merged double posts
ArdanazMay 4, 2016 3:29 PM
How I love a game
May 4, 2016 11:00 AM

Mar 2014
They're really easy to find

Just go watch any show produced by KyoAnus or some other moe shit studio and it won't take long for you to find them
merryfistmas said:
Hitagi seems slightly autistic, though I don't think it's intentional. She speaks bluntly, and the conversation she has with Koyomi in episode 3 when they're talking about her waking him up naked and other sex related stuff, she sounds more like she's trying to solve an equation than have a conversation.
This actually makes a lot of sense to me now that you're saying it, she and I share certain personality traits that a lot of people with autism have (e.g. speaking in a blunt/weird way – I have high functioning autism btw) but I really never thought about it
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
May 4, 2016 11:02 AM

Sep 2009
They're not pointed out as autistic, but there are tons of anime characters who exhibit those types of personalities.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
May 4, 2016 11:05 AM

Aug 2015
Yukiteru from mirai nikki

Jokes apart i think that you will surely find the type of character you want after a little search, do you have any interest in the role they play in the story? If you want a main character like this it will be easier to find one
May 4, 2016 11:12 AM

Apr 2015
aicontepig said:
You said:

I think that is not autism, is a sindrom but isn't a real life sindrom

Its not, but it have some similarities.
May 4, 2016 11:12 AM

Feb 2013
the pet girl of sakuraso, of course!
May 4, 2016 11:13 AM

Apr 2015
This is the one you're looking for

http://myanimelist.net/manga/4258/Hikari_to_Tomo_ni__Jiheishouji_wo_Kakaete

A story of a mother raising her autistic son.
May 4, 2016 11:17 AM

Jul 2015
Shina from sakurasou
I love her 😍
May 4, 2016 11:20 AM

Jan 2012
InducedPhobia said:
This is the one you're looking for

http://myanimelist.net/manga/4258/Hikari_to_Tomo_ni__Jiheishouji_wo_Kakaete

A story of a mother raising her autistic son.

Wow, the first work I have found where they literally pount out the term autism. This could be quite interesting to read sometime xd

Thanks for the link xd
How I love a game
May 4, 2016 11:34 AM

May 2013
Almost positive I had childhood autism and grew out of it. I use to just stare at people and not say a word for several minutes at a time. I felt like I was would rather die than have any attention on me. I got embarrassed just from talking to someone. Had no friends and said the most retarded shit you could think of the very few times I opened my mouth.. I remember I was about to ditch school and go home once because there was a girl I had to stand next to in line before getting in the classroom. They actually suggested I take special needs class but my mom refused, I turned out normal enough though :).

I was also freakishly good at math and way ahead of the curb... Grew out of that too unfortunately :/..
May 4, 2016 11:35 AM

Apr 2016
If you look at the behavior, mannerisms and actions of a lot of characters, you could classify them as autistic. The creators just don't label them as such. I'm not sure about a character whose identity relies on or is defined by being classified as autistic though, and I'm pretty sure that's what you're asking for.
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
May 4, 2016 11:36 AM

Aug 2015
Dunno , I've yet to come across a character like that
May 4, 2016 2:12 PM

Apr 2011
Unable to express emotions isn't necessarily a trait of autism. I know people who are on the spectrum who can perfectly emphasize with others, and some who can't (in my case, I am less of an empathetic person and generally do not concern myself with others all that much).

Even on one chart of the whole scale —let's grab Aspergers in this case— there aren't any people with a duplicate set of traits, and everyone exposes a different variety of signs to the outside world and therefore a lot of those signs aren't even recognized. Everyone autistic experiences it differently and has different views, norms and opinions about things. Some may physically show signs (such as tics or stims), and for some people you might never realize it at all unless they tell you, because they fit perfectly in society and are social creatures. One of my stepmother's cousins is heavily autistic, he can only communicate with some signs and noises, and has meltdowns almost daily, and in my case I simply differ from my peers on communicative and social levels.

I suppose psychological and mental disabilities are still somewhat on the taboo-scale in Japan, and that therefore anime-characters aren't specifically labelled as autistic, or whatever else may be their case.

» "You've fought a valiant duel, my friend..." «

⍏⍏⍏⍏⍏

inspector @ MAL's anime watching challenge
May 4, 2016 2:43 PM

Sep 2014
And what about Asperger? I kinda believe I have this kind of autism and I wonder if japaneses knows this difference.
May 4, 2016 2:47 PM

Jan 2008
Zack312 said:
So, does anyone knows any anime with characters or character in general that you figure has some kind of autistic nature in them?

Bubuki Buranki has a charatcer that I am sure is autistic. Shizuru is at first look really weird, but if you look closer, you can see she most likely is autistic. She does not identify as a regular human, she regrets not being able to identify with her parents or feel any love for them (she knows they wanted a "normal" child), uses her own language, is prone to talk and react in way not really appropriate to the current situation. Has a very high intellect but cannot seem to interact normally with people.
May 4, 2016 3:29 PM

Aug 2014
May 4, 2016 4:14 PM

Oct 2014
A minor secondary character but an endearing one is Saki Maruyama from Girls und Panzer. Some fans nickname her "autism-chan" for hardly ever speaking and appearing to be emotionless: usually shown staring off into space even during times of celebration.

She has one line in the TV series but it's a brilliant one which showed that despite appearances she was fully aware of current situations and even ahead of her teammates in possible solutions -- but also shows she provides such only when necessary. I find myself always looking for her in scenes with her team.

I wouldn't watch the show just for her, but, there you go.
8oomerMay 4, 2016 4:17 PM
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

May 16, 2016 8:36 AM
May 2016
-Kimi ni Todoke main character Sawako.
-Watamote main character Tomoko.
They are both very autistic in the social aspect, they are both having a difficult time because of it, even though Sawako is one of the most kind and innocent and sweet characters I have ever seen.
This season I am suspecting Ren from
-Super Lovers
to be autistic, too.
Actually I find the shut-in people in anime autistic, too, somehow.
-Welcome to the NHK,
-Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta,
-Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai,
ect..
And I think maybe some people from
-Grisaia no Kajitsu
are actually autistic too, but I might be confuzing this with PTSD, because if you look at the OVA and 2nd season, you do figure out there has been some traumatising events in the past, and that might have caused the smartness¿ and lack of emotion, but not sure. Also Tatsuya from
-Mahouka
has this.

Because you know, autism can be linked to people being a genius and talented at specific things, and being obsessed with specific things.

I also find it nice to just label the extremely weird and excentric characters as autistic, but idk.
At least I'm very certain about Watamote and Kimi ni todoke.
Sep 8, 2016 3:50 PM

Mar 2013
Been trying to look for an anime or manga with an actual autistic character in canon but with no luck.

Is it just me or is anime and manga afraid to actually give a name to a characters disorder or sickness? Always something I think about with plenty of anime-series I´ve watched. They can say that a character has a sickness but not name out what it is, my latest example was the episode of B-project where it was hinted a few episodes that the Hikaru dude had some kind of sickness which turned out to be true in an later episode. But they never in the episode said what it really was.

Well in this case it can be due to lazy writing with it being a shitty reverse harem. ;p But seen this in plenty of animes though I can't really name out any in particular now.

Idunno, it's probably me overthinking about this. Just me that would like to see more characters with real and canonically conifirmed disabilities. But maybe it's still more of a taboo thing in Japan still as Lestat pointed out.
Sep 10, 2016 7:55 PM
Jun 2016
I know L from Death Note has Aspergers
Oct 4, 2016 1:28 PM

Jan 2012
Would Eiji Nizuma from Bakuman maybe considered autistic?
How I love a game
Apr 19, 2020 6:25 PM
Apr 2020
This is such an old thread but I'll post anyway. This is more of a headcanon, but it has a bit of merit. Jotaro Kujo from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is probably autistic. I'm autistic myself, so I can relate to certain aspects. Star Platinum noticing very fine details is one, since we tend to look at details rather than the whole picture. Jotaro yelling at his fangirls to be quiet could be because it's too overstimulating. The same thing happens in part 4 when he's seeing Josuke at the high school and a bunch of girls gather around him. He tells them to shut up because they're being too loud (and this is ten years after part 3, he's 28) So you can't just chalk it up to him being an edgy teenager since autism doesn't go away in your adult life. You can see that he tends to be more reserved and not show his emotions too much. Autistic people have emotions, we just have trouble expressing them, so of course we tend to be reserved. That being said, he's not completely emotionless, he's actually pretty hotheaded. Anger is a very easy emotion to express and when you have trouble expressing emotions, you tend to express the less complicated ones. This could be why we see Jotaro angry all the time. I saw a very long post that was a very in depth analysis of Jotaro's behavior and why he's very autistic coded, so if I find it, I'll try to link it. What I pointed out was just what I could name on top of my head. I'm not sure if it's canon, but in my head he's 100% autistic.
Apr 19, 2020 8:20 PM

Jul 2014
look no further

More topics from this board

» Good romantic anime

Roni1703 - 4 hours ago

3 by RaiYou »»
39 minutes ago

» idea blo

blackmirrorerror - 2 hours ago

0 by blackmirrorerror »»
2 hours ago

» Recommend me Action+Adventure Anime based on my List

Chisuku - Today

5 by mo_lave »»
5 hours ago

» A girl who wears stylish glasses

Nagi_Karman - 8 hours ago

2 by Ohayotaku »»
7 hours ago

» Anime with a villain who can change appearance and impersonate the protagonists?

Gfralp - Yesterday

3 by Khashishi »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.