Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Erased
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (28) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Mar 24, 2016 3:19 PM

Jun 2014
Well they didn't do well with the ending. The manga was awesome. This did good until the last 2-3 episodes. I didn't want to believe that they would screw up ...
Mar 24, 2016 3:19 PM

Mar 2015
terminador_2397 said:
MightyM16 said:

Beats me, the year isn' t even over yet...it seems like we have a few individuals here who can predict the future.

Honestly, if Erased is indeed the best anime of 2016 it will be a sad year for anime

There are some promising titles coming out for spring and the later seasons so I hope they are good

I'm looking forward to Jojo part 4 in a couple of weeks ^^

Yep, I still need to finish Stardust Crusaders though
Mar 24, 2016 3:20 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Not really feeling the ending. That rooftop scene wasn't as interesting as the would-be equivalent scene as the manga, with Satoru and Yashiro. It worked here more or less because they took out a chapter of Yashiro's backstory, so him being dependent on Satoru to live isn't far-fetched, but it simplifies Yashiro as a character, imo.

Everything else that was important to understanding the theme of the story was included, but it wasn't presented in a way that moved me emotionally the way the last chapter did.

As for Satoru's development, I think he did grow from this experience. In the beginning he was sort of jaded, unable to make a living out of being a mangaka, and instead having to work a part-time job in pizza delivery. When he back in time, he started to want to help Hinazuki, and become an ally of justice. Going back in time had reminded Satoru of the passion he had when he was younger, the passion he had lost when he grew up. He became a hero, something that's unrealistic. That's why after the coma and after everything with Yashiro ended, he was able to become the mangaka he wanted to be, despite it being a more unrealistic dream compared to working in an office job. Which reminds me, it's a shame they didn't put in the talk between Satoru and Kenya on the roof, that was one of the pieces to conveying the theme.

Overall, it was thrilling and enjoyable for Kayo's arc and up to the climax with Yashiro drowning Satoru. But after that, the differences detracted from my enjoyment. I don't know if I would've liked it better if I hadn't read the manga. Most likely not though, because anyone can tell how much they rushed the last two episodes.

Forgot to mention the title drop. A big reason why I didn't like the official English title being "Erased." But given how the title drop didn't make me emotional in the anime, I guess that doesn't really matter.
Mar 24, 2016 3:21 PM

Dec 2014
Turtletim said:
Gilzy said:

You've completely missed the point. The show was about a man who was effected by a murder that happened years ago, because of that, his emotions were repressed which led him to being just a pizza delivery guy. After given the chance to relive his childhood and stop that murder from happening, he had to become someone he always wanted to, a Hero.

Once his mother was killed, he revived back to his childhood and tried solving the mystery, as the hero is always wanted to become. The HERO part is the most important characterisation with Satoru as he always wanted to be the guy who 'saves' people. The worst thing that could happen to someone like him is that he fails to save someone; in this case, it was Hinazki in the original timeline.

Him being a mangaka is also something to note, because he couldn't physically be a hero, he put all his heart into writing a story about an ideal he was always attracted to.

So this character has a dream, accomplishes that dream through plot connivance and that's it.

That's not what plot convenience is.

Plot convenience is when something unlikely helps the show move forward. Revival was a huge element of the plot itself, not a convenience.

Raz1515 said:
I still don't know why yuuki only liked to hang out with kids though. Was he really normal? No one's that nice..

I too think he's somewhat creepy but he was kind natured. Basically he was someone who didn't have confidence or high self-esteem, so it was easier for him to interact with kids than adults.

Still creepy and silly given how people are very paranoid about strangers.
Mar 24, 2016 3:21 PM

Oct 2012
This ep wasn't as bad as I expected.
Overall, it was good. The only thing I really don't like is they didn't include all sensei's past.
Mar 24, 2016 3:22 PM
Jul 2009
MoonlightReverie said:
1idd0kun said:
The butterfly is a symbol of death or transformation (change). Before it appeared when death was close. This time it probably appeared to indicate that Satoru's life was about to take a turn, to change, due to his meeting with Airi.

That's my interpretation at least.
I might have to re-watch the earlier episodes at some point. But has there been a time where the blue butterfly appeared but there was no revival/bad thing about to happen? Because I don't seem to remember any besides this ending with Airi.

But the thing is, there was no revival in this episode. The butterfly appeared but the time didn't rewind. So I don't think it was a revival. I think the butterfly appeared just to signal that Satoru's fate was about to change, like I said in my previous post.
Mar 24, 2016 3:22 PM

Feb 2016
I just love how they ended it with Airi even if she doesn't know him because of the time reversal. Also love how crafty Satouru got with the planning.
Mar 24, 2016 3:23 PM
Mar 2015
Gilzy said:
Fai said:

I did not miss the point.
I just found the "point" Erased TRIES to make to be trite, poorly thought out and under-developed, thus proposing an alternative that actually does not end up with such a trainwreck.

Well, your reply literally screams that you've missed the point since you haven't answered anything.

The point you're trying to make is why did the plot require the MC to do 'X' and 'Y'. The answer is obvious, because that's the STORY; writers create a story with MCs, side characters, plots, settings etc. You're missing the very basics and jumping to criticise this without any valid points.

This ending was really good despite the teacher's reasoning not being explained elaborately.

The point Fai is trying to make it that Erased is badly written. The time resets are plot connivance, the character are one dimensional, the characters didn't learn anything nor were their beliefs challenged, and all that the ending does is pander to the audience and romanticize instead of characterize; because these character are perfect in every way and can never do anything wrong in this black and white world.
Mar 24, 2016 3:24 PM

Nov 2014
people who would actually think things will give this series a score lower than 9 but since for reason why not give it a 10/10

a 6/10 for me, the ending made it even more forced than the manga...

good bye and good riddance, active raid is more entertaining than this shit
Mar 24, 2016 3:25 PM

Jul 2014
7/10.

In the end, there's almost nothing in this anime that leaves any lasting impression on me, nothing that stands out as truly something special.
"Beyond the veil of cherry blossom petals blown by the wind - almost like their promised reunion -

Feelings pile up with the passage of time: once the torrent of emotions comes rushing down, what is the spectacle that awaits?"
Mar 24, 2016 3:26 PM

Jul 2014
I don't get the blue butterfly at the end with Airi tho. Can someone explain?
Mar 24, 2016 3:27 PM
Mar 2015
Gilzy said:
Turtletim said:

So this character has a dream, accomplishes that dream through plot connivance and that's it.

That's not what plot convenience is.

Plot convenience is when something unlikely helps the show move forward. Revival was a huge element of the plot itself, not a convenience.

Raz1515 said:
I still don't know why yuuki only liked to hang out with kids though. Was he really normal? No one's that nice..

I too think he's somewhat creepy but he was kind natured. Basically he was someone who didn't have confidence or high self-esteem, so it was easier for him to interact with kids than adults.

Still creepy and silly given how people are very paranoid about strangers.

The rival only occurs when it's convenient to the protagonist. His mother is murdered and he is sent back in time to save her, the revival conveniently moved the plot forward or when satoru was arrested, the revival conveniently sent him back in time moving the plot forward.
Mar 24, 2016 3:29 PM

Dec 2014
Turtletim said:
Gilzy said:

Well, your reply literally screams that you've missed the point since you haven't answered anything.

The point you're trying to make is why did the plot require the MC to do 'X' and 'Y'. The answer is obvious, because that's the STORY; writers create a story with MCs, side characters, plots, settings etc. You're missing the very basics and jumping to criticise this without any valid points.

This ending was really good despite the teacher's reasoning not being explained elaborately.

The point Fai is trying to make it that Erased is badly written. The time resets are plot connivance, the character are one dimensional, the characters didn't learn anything nor were their beliefs challenged, and all that the ending does is pander to the audience and romanticize instead of characterize; because these character are perfect in every way and can never do anything wrong in this black and white world.

Read my reply above.

As for characters, the main character was developed pretty well, I like how @tingy explained it, so I'll copy and paste it here:

"As for Satoru's development, I think he did grow from this experience. In the beginning he was sort of jaded, unable to make a living out of being a mangaka, and instead having to work a part-time job in pizza delivery. When he back in time, he started to want to help Hinazuki, and become an ally of justice. Going back in time had reminded Satoru of the passion he had when he was younger, the passion he had lost when he grew up. He became a hero, something that's unrealistic. That's why after the coma and after everything with Yashiro ended, he was able to become the mangaka he wanted to be, despite it being a more unrealistic dream compared to working in an office job"
Mar 24, 2016 3:30 PM

Apr 2010
kyle8998 said:
YES I KNEW THEY COULDN'T LEAVE OUT TRUE BEST GIRL AIRI AT THE END

Best moment in the final episode. I was sad to see Satoru alone until the final minute.

To me it was my favorite anime to watch every week. I give it a 9/10 even with its faults.
Mar 24, 2016 3:31 PM

Jul 2015
MightyM16 said:
terminador_2397 said:

There are some promising titles coming out for spring and the later seasons so I hope they are good

I'm looking forward to Jojo part 4 in a couple of weeks ^^

Yep, I still need to finish Stardust Crusaders though

Hurry and catch up! Lol btw are you checking out rakugo this season too?
Mar 24, 2016 3:31 PM
Oct 2009
Have not read the manga so cannot draw comparison, but man this made zero sense. What's that butterfly? Can't believe this anime started so good and got so lame in its last few episodes! Why was Yashiro suddenly so obsessed with Satoru? Did he save Satoru when he was about to drown? How? I'm usually ok with an ending left a bit ambiguous but for some reason it just really disappointed me for this kind of show.
Mar 24, 2016 3:32 PM
Jul 2009
JessicasamaXP said:

I posted before about this but, basically the butterfly is a symbol of death or change. In previous episode it appeared when death was close. In this episode it probably appeared to indicate that Satoru's fate was about to change.
Jan 2016
JessicasamaXP said:

http://spiritualexperience.eu/meaning-of-a-blue-butterfly/

They represent good fortune, changing for the better, and miracles.

Jan 2014
What kind of antagonist was that ???? Wtf

This show had so much promise with the first several episodes, but just lost its spark over time.

I did somewhat enjoy what the anime had to offer, but the score that it has on MAL is just ridiculous. It's a 7/10 at best.

Strong Start, but a weak end. Very disappointed
Mar 24, 2016 3:33 PM

Apr 2015
Something I found kinda funny is how he spent all this time focusing on saving a girl he didn't know and not really his friend that looked like a girl, who was also murdered. It's like he was just like "yeah why not save him as well" I mean shouldn't HIS death had been the one that actually scarred him, instead of a girl's he just saw at a park?
Mar 24, 2016 3:33 PM

Sep 2014
EP 12 Finale

I liked it. Almost loved it. The ending saved it.

Overall
4.5 out of 5
8.5 out of 10
★★★★☆
d(>_・ )(*TーT)b(*TーT)b
Mar 24, 2016 3:34 PM

Sep 2014
Wait....how the hell did he survive the car into the frozen river?
Mar 24, 2016 3:36 PM
Sep 2014
Is the hype finally dead?
Mar 24, 2016 3:37 PM
Jan 2016
Fredo_p said:

Some random passerby saved him.
If you're wondering why he didn't die of drowning, well its similar to the stories of people drowning in the freezing ocean. They wake up washed ashore on a beach several days later.
Mar 24, 2016 3:37 PM

Jul 2014
1idd0kun said:
JessicasamaXP said:

I posted before about this but, basically the butterfly is a symbol of death or change. In previous episode it appeared when death was close. In this episode it probably appeared to indicate that Satoru's fate was about to change.

PantsOnHead said:
JessicasamaXP said:

http://spiritualexperience.eu/meaning-of-a-blue-butterfly/

They represent good fortune, changing for the better, and miracles.

THNX FOR THE EXPLANATIONSS \^0^/XD
Mar 24, 2016 3:38 PM

Dec 2014
Fredo_p said:

He got pulled out of it by the teacher. Although, it left him in a coma for a good 15 years, ouch.
Mar 24, 2016 3:41 PM

Apr 2012
LightBladeNova said:
7/10.

In the end, there's almost nothing in this anime that leaves any lasting impression on me, nothing that stands out as truly something special.
This is basically my feelings on the show. Overall the story feels very standard and unexceptional. In the beginning, I was hoping that the anime would build up to something more interesting (I think the exciting imagery in the ED made me hope for this), but it ends up going a typical route with little in the way of surprises.
Mar 24, 2016 3:44 PM
Jan 2016
Gilzy said:
Fredo_p said:

He got pulled out of it by the teacher. Although, it left him in a coma for a good 15 years, ouch.

No he didn't. The anime made no mention of it. The manga said a random passerby found him. Since it was a random passerby, it doesn't really matter. He survives, thats all there is to it.
Mar 24, 2016 3:45 PM

Jan 2016
Erased is only one canditate of year 2016 best anime cuzz year only started guys! :)
But it would be really sad if there werent any other masterpace like that out which could fight in top 5 for first plase. Right? CUZZ we all want as much masterpieces as we can watch! :DDD

I think that story could be more dificult and in 24 ep... cuzz with this story there are so many ways to give and take something to story and plot.
But this is really grate work and entartainment for every anime fan.

Feels at the end was like... i had gosebumps all the time and i waited for GAME OVER to the teacer and so much for that girl (Airi probably- cant remember every ch :) under that bridge that... OMG! And then she was there, I WAS SO HAPPY!

I really hope for OVA or season 2 cuzz there might be some story like he is working like manga artist and helping some organization or going back in time, or fighting brain game with someone who might be teachers boss or relative or that teacher just escped and he needs to find him to stop him again. Or the best story plot- He x Airi (love story whith detective action).
THERE ARE JUST TO MUCH POSIBILITIES OUT THERE!

PS. Now i am broken- i dont know will i be able to find any good anime after this- (i bet that every anime fan has this feeling after every masterpiece- that really is the worst feeling in world! lol)
Mar 24, 2016 3:45 PM

Jan 2013
Actually preferred this ending rather than the manga ending which was very cheesy towards the end. Wish Airi had a bit more relevance in forming this ending. Overall very good Anime, I'm glad I only started watching after ep 11 since the cliffhangers would have been torture to wait through!

Man, the mother was the MVP, she was so bad-ass. She literally was a main key in everything that happened. I felt so bad for her during the 15 year coma timeline and what she had to go through for her son. :(
Mar 24, 2016 3:47 PM

Jun 2015
So how many noticed the plane moving sideways

@LeviathanTheEsp Apparently you're the only one
Mar 24, 2016 3:48 PM

Oct 2013
I gave it an 8/10 because I enjoyed it for the most part. It was nice to see Airi in the final moments. I was half expecting that she would not appear, leaving the audience to conclude that maybe she never existed after Sataru changed the past.
Jul 2018
I'm quite satisfied on what I've got to see
I've watched quite an interesting series, that ending . . . . .kinda love how the Writers cooked up such storyline. for now it's time to close down the case. also Satoru was happy to see Airi again.
I could also guess that I've Yashiro didn't do those crimes he would have been a father figure to Satoru.

BTW what's with the English Title, Erased? is this one of those unexplained English titles?

Sep 2014
Lordwen said:
So how many noticed the plane moving sideways

OMG. I thought it was crashing. LOL

The only thing that moves like that is the space shuttle.

Ahhhh.....Houston....we have a problem.
Mar 24, 2016 3:49 PM
Nov 2013
Meh... i really like the begin... but the end ??????? i can't fell it... it's make me sad to know that ending honestly i want a better one.
Why that and that why...
Mar 24, 2016 3:50 PM

Dec 2014
PantsOnHead said:
Gilzy said:

No he didn't. The anime made no mention of it. The manga said a random passerby found him. Since it was a random passerby, it doesn't really matter. He survives, thats all there is to it.

Forget what the manga said since they're not the same and that wasn't mentioned in the anime.

As for the anime, the flashback in this episode showed the teacher going back to the car, so you could deduce that the teacher saved him. If it wasn't the teacher, it doesn't really matter, as you said, the boy was saved.
Mar 24, 2016 3:50 PM
Feb 2013
I just wanted to scream "Gay, that's so fucking gay" all along
Nice anime, merf ending
Mar 24, 2016 3:52 PM

Jan 2016
Thougths on episode 1-4:
"Wow, this looks interesting, but I wouldn't be surprised by an underwhelming conclusion."
And here it is. Episode 12: The underwhelming conclusion, just as expected, which is a shame, really.

Main issues:
- This ending feels supidly childish (a huge contrast to the atmosphere of the first half of the series).
- Post-reveal Yashiro is a terrible character in terms of design, at least in the anime adaptation.
- Additionaly, I feel like I couldn't care less about the final concept of friendship and being a hero. It isn't something you want to hear after being introduced to a more mature approach in the first episodes.

Episode rating: 3-4/10
Anime rating: 6-7/10 (Episodes 1-8: 8/10, ep. 9-12: 4-5/10)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jul 2015
This was a satisfying ending, the first few episode make me felt like this was going to be a masterpiece but in the end this anime is just good, nothing really bad but nothing that great, i still fell a bit disappointed but that's my own fault, i shouldn't have expect to have an anime on the level of steins gate, i give it a 7/10

May 2010
this episode has "weak ending" written allover it. generous 8/10 overall.
Mar 24, 2016 3:53 PM
Jan 2016
Gilzy said:
PantsOnHead said:

Forget what the manga said since they're not the same and that wasn't mentioned in the anime.

As for the anime, the flashback in this episode showed the teacher going back to the car, so you could deduce that the teacher saved him. If it wasn't the teacher, it doesn't really matter, as you said, the boy was saved.

The flashback didn't show the teacher going back to the car. He turned his head around, but that isn't the same as walking back. You're reaching.
Mar 24, 2016 3:57 PM
Jul 2018
@PantsOnHead given yashiro's gay/can't live without you attitude, perhaps the director implied that he saved him.
Mar 24, 2016 4:00 PM

Sep 2014
At least they showed Airi in the end..

Now , If someone dies , and someone makes "revival" so you're ... feeling alive again or the one who revived just sees ya?

Wondering what happened to those Policemans and whole world when he got captured in those earlier episodes.

So yeah for me it feels that Satoru just lives in an ilusionary world.. It's all so damn unrealistic.. But that's what some animes are for so noone to blame..
EtherealisMar 24, 2016 4:16 PM
Mar 24, 2016 4:01 PM
Jan 2016
xaos12 said:
@PantsOnHead given yashiro's gay/can't live without you attitude, perhaps the director implied that he saved him.

/sigh

I know you're joking, but Episode 11's intro showed that Yashiro didn't start to fixate on him until he survive's Yashiro's attempted murder.
Mar 24, 2016 4:02 PM

Sep 2010
Ah, Sensei have gotten :Talk no Jutsu: and the whole anime suddenly pushed [HAPPY ENDING BUTTON] in this last episode. Well at least there is no need to be sad after reading watching this to the end.

Unfortunately we never received any explanation on time travel and we even get the random butterfly flying around in this episode but oh well, it was an ending that we can all accept and be happy with it.

Random Anri's appearance was really random especially in place like that, I mean it would be much more realistic if he were to go near her house or to that restaurant and try to meet her there but oh well, it's the last minutes of the episode who cares.

All I care about is that I watch a good anime that had an actual ending, rather than, see you next season, or go read manga ending or their journey continued afterwards. I don't know but recently it's rarer and rarer to see a show that ends.

Still no explanation on time travel will be the one thing I will remember when remembering this series... sad.
Mar 24, 2016 4:02 PM

Jan 2009
Fredo_p said:
EP 12 Finale

I liked it. Almost loved it. The ending saved it.

Overall
4.5 out of 5
8.5 out of 10
★★★★☆
d(>_・ )(*TーT)b(*TーT)b

QFT. I especially like how they kind of prolonged it as the Airi wasn't the pizza delivery girl.

Yes the whole coma thing and how the killer was dependent on the main guy was cheesey but it bought some nice closure at the end with the visits of old friend and the school.
Mar 24, 2016 4:04 PM

Feb 2008
As is the case with every popular show, some people search for every possible reason to dislike it. The show isn't perfect and I don't know of any show that is. I absolutely enjoyed this show and as such I'll be rating it rather highly. I miss the days where people simply enjoyed anime, they didn't over-analyze every aspect of a show.

Classic example of these people: "This particular person acted out of character, this is a HUGE plot hole and now this show is no longer good!!!" (ironic when anime in itself is unrealistic in every way possible).
Mar 24, 2016 4:05 PM

Jun 2013
That was lame.

How is this supposed to be a Seinen? Is this some kind of sick joke?

6/10

Jan 2014
It's finally over 6/10.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen far worse anime than this, but this definitely ranks No.1 on my 'wasted potential' list. The last episode might have been somewhat redeeming with Satoru actually being ahead of the game for a change, but the round up was poorly handled all the same.

Also, while I haven't read the manga myself, I'm not liking what I've heard about the changes made to the Airi scenes. The way she seems to have been written out of the finale is completely disproportionate to her appearance and importance in the first half of the show, as well as in the show's opening. I might actually pick up the last few chapters of the manga, to see what the uncondensed ending looks like.

dolly94 said:
I also was kind of disappointed on how they cut almost all of Airi's scenes. I wonder why they did this...

I was more surprised by the fact that they did decide to show her in the end, especially after we got that weird Satoru x Misato speedboat sailing by just in the lost episode. Seriously why would they do that to begin with, and why on earth would they do that, if they were still going to stick with an Airi end?

Finally, I more or less expected him to call her by her name there at the end. It might not seem like the smartest thing to do, but Airi always seemed like someone open to his story, regardless of how ridiculous it would sound.
LaionidasMar 24, 2016 4:09 PM
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Jul 2018
PantsOnHead said:
xaos12 said:

/sigh

I know you're joking, but Episode 11's intro showed that Yashiro didn't start to fixate on him until he survive's Yashiro's attempted murder.

that's where it started m8. He fell for him.
Pages (28) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2016

1108 by bakakisima »»
Apr 23, 10:13 AM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 4, 2016

769 by Jocku »»
Apr 17, 10:27 AM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2016

900 by bakakisima »»
Apr 12, 2:03 PM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 3, 2016

498 by bakakisima »»
Apr 11, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2016

581 by bakakisima »»
Apr 11, 12:06 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.