Forum Settings
Forums

Is it possible to get normal people to think that "weird" stuff (subjective to them) isn't weird?

New
Mar 5, 2016 7:57 PM

Sep 2009
^
For example, if you wanted to get a normal person to think yanderes were perfectly normal in the head? ;3

Or if you wanted to subvert convince a person into thinking anime like Princess Princess were not weird, and an absolutely normal form of entertainment.
How would you go about doing this?
Would kidnapping and attempting to induce Stockholm Syndrome be necessary?
MortalMelancholyMar 5, 2016 8:05 PM
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Mar 5, 2016 7:58 PM

Aug 2015
Totally possible. You just have to demonstrate it to them and provide a perfect example :P
Mar 5, 2016 8:00 PM

Sep 2009
Z-Dante said:
Totally possible. You just have to demonstrate it to them and provide a perfect example :P

Yeah, but

And I don't think Buzz was ever able to convince Woody that he could fly <.<
Mar 5, 2016 8:01 PM

Jun 2012
I'm pretty convinced that weird shit is weird and there isn't a need to try to convince others that they aren't. It just depends on how open minded people are and how much they're willing to accept a form of entertainment despite its weirdness. I mean, the majority of anime fans are okay with watching giant mechs fight, surreal action sequences, absurd comedy, obscene ecchi and the strangest character archetypes. I think you don't need to convince anyone about these things if they're experimental and accepting enough to enjoy anime.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Mar 5, 2016 8:03 PM

Sep 2015
There's no way you can convince me that " yanderes were perfectly normal in the head". I guess that makes me a normal person.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Mar 5, 2016 8:05 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
the ONLY REASON anyone thinks ANYTHING is weird is because we don't admit things

if everyone admitted everything bout themselves, im pretty sure we'd realize were all normal lol

sometimes you just gotta be the first person to talk or you won't know whos secretly into what
Mar 5, 2016 8:10 PM

Feb 2010
I will not be convinced that Yandere's aren't batshit crazy psychopaths I wouldn't want near me, but I don't know about others.

As long as people just find it weird and don't actively treat you differently because of that there's no need to intervene and try to force your taste on them.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 5, 2016 8:11 PM

Nov 2015
Dude, thinking that a psychopath is normal will never be normal.
Liking an anime that is considered weird is always perfectly normal.

I mean , I'm not sure how to answer this question. Weird is weird.
It's also subjective, so anyone who likes Cat Soup is weird to me. I might be weird to someone else because I liked FLCL..
Mar 5, 2016 8:13 PM

Sep 2009
GesuYarou said:

It's also subjective, so anyone who likes Cat Soup is weird to me. I might be weird to someone else because I liked FLCL..

No, it's not "liking" an anime. It's having them believe "the events that occur in this anime are not weird at all."
Mar 5, 2016 8:19 PM

Nov 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
GesuYarou said:

No, it's not "liking" an anime. It's having them believe "the events that occur in this anime are not weird at all."

If I see something that I've never seen (or I think I'll never see) in real life, it's weird.
Anything abnormal is weird.
So if they come across a show where a woman on a vespa hits an 11 year old kid with a guitar which causes a bump which then grows into a fucking robot, they'll think it's weird because it's not something that'll ever happen in real life & it defies common logic.

So getting them to think that it's normal is basically convincing them that stuff like this happens everyday & anyone with an IQ above retardation level won't believe that..
Mar 5, 2016 8:23 PM

Jul 2009
MortalMelancholy said:

I think you have to go slowly about that. No rush, warm them up towards the idea. Start with something less weird and pull them out of their comfort zone a little by little, then their border between what is normal and what is weird will slowly start to blend. Finally they won't consider it weird at all because their thinking will change by experiencing weirdness in small dosages.
As for Princess Princess, watching Ouran (weird school with weird guys who appear cosplaying as women at times) and Baka to test (ultimate trap Hideyoshi), plus maybe some innocent BL, could serve as desensitization stimuli.
Mar 5, 2016 8:39 PM
Sep 2014
Being able to walk is considered normal - most people in the world can walk
Dressing up as your favourite character when your young - generally considered normal However dressing up when your older - considered unusual/weird

Depends what your culture and local mass does/practice to be considered normal.
There is a house full of Anime fans but one person in it hates anime. Is the person or other the weird one(s)?

So the way I would do it is surround them with things they think are weird make them live with it for a while and it should become normal.
Mar 5, 2016 8:44 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
But why would I do that? Weird is cool.
Mar 5, 2016 8:51 PM

May 2015
this is such a stupid question..

it all depends on the type of person and who the person in question is
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Mar 5, 2016 11:08 PM

Sep 2009
Okay guys. Maybe it wasn't as obvious as I thought, but the general idea we're looking for is what brainwashing methods to use.
Mar 6, 2016 5:07 AM

Jul 2013
I respect people opinion, but no matter how many interpretations you give that shit like Utsu Musume Sayuri, I would never believe stuff like that is normal.
Mar 6, 2016 5:11 AM

Dec 2015
Well if u can convince me into (re)watching Parasyte, u can convince anyone C:
Mar 6, 2016 5:12 AM

Jul 2015
Yeah it is possible i guess. Just explain them why it's normal
Mar 6, 2016 5:18 AM

Dec 2012
Yanderes aren't normal in the head..that's..like the whole point behind the archetype.

I don't get what you are asking.
Mar 6, 2016 5:44 AM

Feb 2015
2 possibility.

1.if they "feel" it's weird, then it's weird to them. there is no way you can change that.

2.but if they "think" it's weird because they feel something is off about the thing that they think it's weird; just a little bit of an explanation, you probably can change it :)
Mar 6, 2016 6:17 AM

Jul 2015
there's no way, they will just rekt u as oddball

ex: If they say you ur body pillow(the weeb ones) is normal in their mind probably are dying of laugh and feeling sorry for u. keep it personal or to others that has the sames likes as you
Mar 6, 2016 6:52 AM

Dec 2012
Normal people worry me. Seriously.

I have this colleague, who tried to convince me her 6 yo son wets the sheets, because the sheets in his kindergarten have anime prints, which supposedly 'scare' him. In his sleep.

Currently, he poops in his pants 'because' of on-line games he and her husband play. Not because the little shit is too lazy to take his shit to the bathroom.

Curiously, after undergoing some arguing on anime, she sent me a streaming link to Inside Out. I assume it was her idea to guide me back on the righteous road of 'normal' animation.

People who are genuinely interested in understanding 'weird' stuff, don't throw labels and preconceived thoughts in your face. Explaining begins when one is asking questions, not answers - be it on anime or everything else.
Mar 6, 2016 4:29 PM
Dec 2014
I would have to lie if I would try say to normies that this shit isn't weird.

yandere is a crazy bitch switching between being a crzay mofo and a lovely lover. If a person irl would behave like this I would call her insane or bipolar
Mar 6, 2016 4:44 PM

Jul 2013
Isn't calling them "normal" being subjective, too? Anyway, you can try convincing ppl, but I say people have to see things for themselves, especially when it comes to anime. You can introduce an idea or convince them that something is perfectly normal, and they may consider it as they watch more anime.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Mar 6, 2016 4:46 PM

Jun 2015
Then you wouldn't call them normal, so no.
Mar 6, 2016 5:19 PM

Dec 2015
GesuYarou said:

It's also subjective, so anyone who likes Cat Soup is weird to me..

Thanks fam.

OT:

Can I convince people that hawt cat girls jumping down from the ceiling is normal?
Banner credit to @turnip
Mar 6, 2016 5:21 PM

Nov 2015
Why do people have to have the same like mind as you? I think it's more weird to think people aren't aloud to find things weird to them.
Mar 6, 2016 5:21 PM

Nov 2015
zellami said:

I have this colleague, who tried to convince me her 6 yo son wets the sheets, because the sheets in his kindergarten have anime prints, which supposedly 'scare' him. In his sleep.

Currently, he poops in his pants 'because' of on-line games he and her husband play. Not because the little shit is too lazy to take his shit to the bathroom.

Curiously, after undergoing some arguing on anime, she sent me a streaming link to Inside Out. I assume it was her idea to guide me back on the righteous road of 'normal' animation.

People who are genuinely interested in understanding 'weird' stuff, don't throw labels and preconceived thoughts in your face. Explaining begins when one is asking questions, not answers - be it on anime or everything else.

As a parent of a 7 year old..... this all made me cringe really hard.
Mar 6, 2016 5:32 PM
Jan 2013
Well, first of all

-Senpai- said:
There's no way you can convince me that " yanderes were perfectly normal in the head".

Second of all

MortalMelancholy said:
Z-Dante said:

Yeah, but

And I don't think Buzz was ever able to convince Woody that he could fly <.<
Ayyyyyy, das pretteh gooooood

Third of all

"Weird stuff" is subjective to normal people you say?
But isn't "Being normal" subjective as well

HA, BEAT THAT BOIII
gone bai bai
Mar 6, 2016 9:48 PM

Feb 2016
MortalMelancholy said:
^
For example, if you wanted to get a normal person to think yanderes were perfectly normal in the head? ;3

Or if you wanted to subvert convince a person into thinking anime like Princess Princess were not weird, and an absolutely normal form of entertainment.
How would you go about doing this?
Would kidnapping and attempting to induce Stockholm Syndrome be necessary?
Normal implies that you follow the culture you live in's norms. If you follow the norms, you're normal. If you don't, you're not normal. Simple as that.

For example, if you live in the US, watching anime isn't really considered normal. But it is normal in the subculture built around it. You want anime culture to be normal? Just change your country's culture. Good luck without conquering it and forcing it Soviet-style, though.

Mar 8, 2016 11:19 PM

Dec 2012
Savage_ said:
zellami said:

As a parent of a 7 year old..... this all made me cringe really hard.

I am sorry to hear it -_-;

Actually, the kid has been under considerable stress because of the divorce of his parents. It has nothing to do with anime or gaming really. Likewise, my passion for anime shall not become a scape goat for other people private problems, especially in the case they are ignorant or obnoxious.

Anyway, weird vs. normal debates usually boil down to 'normal' = 'I know better than you'. Which is severely not the case of anime where I live. Most of these concerned parties or parents are not aware they grew up with anime, shown on TV :L
Mar 8, 2016 11:24 PM

Jul 2015
Illyricus said:
I respect people opinion, but no matter how many interpretations you give that shit like Utsu Musume Sayuri, I would never believe stuff like that is normal.

Fuck u .

@OP

I don't think it's possible .Unless the person himself is weird .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Mar 8, 2016 11:39 PM

Jul 2013
SodiumChloride said:
Illyricus said:

Fuck u .

@OP

I don't think it's possible .Unless the person himself is weird .
Be salty my friend, just keep catching salt until HF :)
Mar 8, 2016 11:40 PM

Jan 2015
Definitely. A lot of the times you could clarify misconceptions.

More topics from this board

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

56 by Pinoffin »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 2 hours ago

13 by APolygons2 »»
5 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 2 hours ago

14 by APolygons2 »»
7 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

6 by Ratris_Decision »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 3 hours ago

21 by -Ryu »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.