Forum Settings
Forums

Do you care about anime Directors, Writers and Animators and other Staff?

New
Feb 22, 2016 11:38 PM

Jan 2016
If so, do you actively watch the things that is done by your favorites?

Who are your favorite anime directors, writers and/or animators(and other staff members, if it applies), in the first place?

--

I do have a favorite writer and two favorite directors...

Gen Urobuchi for the writers.... and I don't go out of my way to watch his works...but whenever I do I'm always impressed.

For the directors, I have Hiroyuki Imaishi as my absolute favorite... who is a genius. I'll watch anything he does.

Also, I have Tetsurou Araki, for his "Michael Bay-esque" approach in making popular anime. Though, I won't actively go out my way to watch every works he does.

As for the animators, I don't have names but whoever are in Kyoto ANimation's payroll are my favorites.

--

In short, I only care about it if its Hiroyuki Imaishi or Gen Urobuchi, really.

Also, anyone who likes Imaishi and/or Urobuchi is cool in my book...
ethotFeb 23, 2016 12:02 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 22, 2016 11:46 PM

Aug 2014
Nope, don't care at all about that. It's always a plus, but I pick what I watch based on the synopsis and recommendations from others.
Feb 22, 2016 11:50 PM

May 2015
Im actually currently working on brining Satoshi Kon back to life rn so he can make more anime

I wont go out of my way per se but I guess I lean towards my favourites more? (I mean obviously lol)
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Feb 22, 2016 11:53 PM

Mar 2015
i care, but doesn't mean i automaticaly judge the series because of that.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 22, 2016 11:54 PM

May 2015
I do care. A lot of these people have styles and quirks that are unique to them. If I check out more of their stuff, I can see whether they elaborate on this. I love KLK's director and checked out Dead Leaves. I found something that's both similar and different. It can be interesting to see the same director finding a new way spin to put in his style.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 22, 2016 11:54 PM

Feb 2010
I don't really care much about that. Sometimes I do pay attention to a certain director/animator/etc., though.
Feb 22, 2016 11:56 PM

Jan 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
I do care. A lot of these people have styles and quirks that are unique to them. If I check out more of their stuff, I can see whether they elaborate on this. I love KLK's director and checked out Dead Leaves. I found something that's both similar and different. It can be interesting to see the same director finding a new way spin to put in his style.

Imaishi is just a visual storytelling genius. Period...

Sep 2009
No, but some always produce the garbage I'm expecting of them.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.

Oct 2015
i dont really care, but if i like a show i check out the producers other works
Feb 22, 2016 11:57 PM

Jan 2016
MortalMelancholy said:

Care to give examples? If you don't mind.
Feb 22, 2016 11:59 PM

Nov 2009
I do certainly pay attention to it to some extent, especially when it comes to directors and writers. For example, I don't think that Tsuiokuhen and Gundam Unicorn would have been as great as they are if it weren't for this man's involvement in them:
http://myanimelist.net/people/5655/Furuhashi_Kazuhiro
Feb 23, 2016 12:04 AM

Sep 2009
CapitalistGod said:
MortalMelancholy said:

Care to give examples? If you don't mind.

http://myanimelist.net/people/13637/Satou_Yoshiteru
http://myanimelist.net/people/6891/Kudou_Masashi
http://myanimelist.net/people/8340/Ueda_Youichi
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Feb 23, 2016 12:05 AM

Sep 2015
When a show catch my eye and I think it has potential, I always check the staff. That way I won't be disappointed if the serie ends being shit.

For example, stuff done by Seiji Kishi will always be hilarious, even if he doesn't want to. Don't let that dude in charge of serious shows again, pls.

You just lost the game
Feb 23, 2016 12:07 AM

Jan 2016

Oh, this guy.... Yeah... yeah.... he's s*** that I don't even know why he became a director in the first place..lol
Feb 23, 2016 12:47 AM

Mar 2014
Yes, after watching Kaiba I immediately marathoned Ping Pong and am currently watching Tatami Galaxy. I plan to watch all of Yuasa's works in the near future. Same with Imiashi's, thought that is a slightly lower priority since KLK is the only thing I've absolutely loved by him so far (Dead Leaves was pretty dank though) .I'll probably watch Paprika and some of Kon's other stuff as well.

Urobuchi is the only writer whom I feel I have a grasp on his style. All of his shows have some problems but I like his method of writing idealized characters enough that I usually look past them.

i don't know much about animators, and I'm not really into voice actors, so that's about it.
merryfistmasFeb 23, 2016 12:50 AM
Feb 23, 2016 1:16 AM

Jan 2008
Not really. I almost never check to see who directed a show, unless it resembles something I've watched before. For example, I checked to see who directed Bubuki-Buranki because it looked and felt similar to Kill La Kill. Turns out part of the staff is the same. I recognize some directors, like Urobuchi and Shinbo, but usually don't pay attention to staff, except the voice actors. don't care about animators and other staff.
Feb 23, 2016 1:19 AM

Feb 2008
Yeah, when I find a good director or writer, I try to watch their other works since most of the times, they tend to be good. At the same time, when I see a bad director or writer, I try to avoid their other stuff since it's not worth the gamble.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Feb 23, 2016 1:26 AM

Dec 2014
Nah honestly not at all. I oftenly don't get the hype like "omfg it's produced by xxx studio", or "it's directed by Jun Maeda surely it will be tearjerking blablablah".
But I only have one studio that, if it produces Anime, I would definitely check it out first; KyoAni.

"Wielding one's blade out of duty alone is what it means to be a captain. Wielding one's blade out of hatred is nothing more than petty violence. That is not what we would consider battle."
Feb 23, 2016 1:41 AM

Dec 2013
That giddiness of realizing after starting a good show that one of your favorite composers wrote the score. Love it when that happens...
Feb 23, 2016 1:51 AM

Jul 2013
they are the crux of an anime, of course i care about them.

my favorite animator/ director would have to be Maeda Mahiro, i watch pretty much anything he is involved in.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Feb 23, 2016 1:56 AM

Jan 2016
Gymkata said:
That giddiness of realizing after starting a good show that one of your favorite composers wrote the score. Love it when that happens...

Oh yeah... I forgot about this....

Sawano Hiroyuki is my favorite... What's yours, if I may ask?
Feb 23, 2016 2:01 AM

Mar 2014
I only care about my favourite seiyuus, maybe about some animators, but in general no.
23 ♀ | ES/ENG

Feb 23, 2016 2:05 AM

Dec 2013
CapitalistGod said:
Gymkata said:

Oh yeah... I forgot about this....

Sawano Hiroyuki is my favorite... What's yours, if I may ask?

Have to go with Michiru Oshima and Amano Masamichi.
Feb 23, 2016 2:45 AM

Apr 2015
I only care about the animators, i cant be bothered
with the rest
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 23, 2016 2:45 AM

Oct 2011
I don't obsess over it, I just find it cool when I watch something great and some people behind it are also the people behind other shows I enjoyed.
Feb 23, 2016 3:47 AM

Nov 2015
I don't really care about who does what anime and etc. I watch if the story sounds interesting and the first 3 episodes are promising.
Feb 23, 2016 3:48 AM

Jul 2012
Only if I know them.

Seiyuu + Studio is pretty much all I actively look out for.
Feb 23, 2016 3:48 AM

Dec 2015
CG pls stahp posting threads.
I dont want to see ur name everywhere ;-;
No offense lolz :P
Feb 23, 2016 3:49 AM

Mar 2015
Nope. I usually end up finding them after I finish watching like "ohhh so it was done by that guy! wow he made so and so!"
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Feb 23, 2016 3:51 AM

Jan 2016
Robiiii said:

lol.. None taken... but no.

xD

Seriously, I just post something that interests me(which is a lot) and seeing that it hasn't really been or rarely discussed here before...so I just jumpstart it.
Feb 23, 2016 3:55 AM

Dec 2015
CapitalistGod said:
Robiiii said:

lol.. None taken... but no.

xD

Seriously, I just post something that interests me(which is a lot) and seeing that it hasn't really been or rarely discussed here before...so I just jumpstart it.

Pls senpai calm down XD
Tho MAL does need some good threads, but I see a lot of random ppl who just post the most fucking stupud sht ever, and it makes my head hurt ;-;
Feb 23, 2016 5:44 AM

Oct 2014
Mayuka said:
Only if I know them.

The thing about studios is that different animators and directors switch around the industry all the time. To take Madhouse as a general example, a lot of people still love Madhouse, but what they do not know is that a lot of the great minds that brought us Madhouse anime from the period of around 2003-2008 have pretty much completely left the studio to go on and found their own.

There are tons of other examples, but the base point is that animators, directors, and writers can often freelance and go on to work at other places, so following studios could be a bit deceptive.
Feb 23, 2016 5:50 AM

Jan 2016
masterofgo said:
Mayuka said:
Only if I know them.

The thing about studios is that different animators and directors switch around the industry all the time. To take Madhouse as a general example, a lot of people still love Madhouse, but what they do not know is that a lot of the great minds that brought us Madhouse anime from the period of around 2003-2008 have pretty much completely left the studio to go on and found their own.

There are tons of other examples, but the base point is that animators, directors, and writers can often freelance and go on to work at other places, so following studios could be a bit deceptive.

Only exception to this is Kyoto Animation, of course.
Feb 23, 2016 5:53 AM

Sep 2015
I do but I usually can't remember their names that well. The only people I can remember are Gen Urobuchi, Hideaki Anno, Satoshi Kon, Mamoru Hosoda, and Akitarou Daichi. I would add more to this post but too tired...
Feb 23, 2016 6:54 AM

Feb 2015
No Game No Life Author. i admire him. the way he make the story is so amazing to me. only that.
Feb 23, 2016 7:39 AM

Apr 2015
I don't really care, there's a time when a good personnels fails miserably while when a bad one writes an amazing story.
Feb 23, 2016 7:42 AM

Dec 2012
I would like to pretend that I do but I really don't. Only pay attention if the animation and visuals were distinctive enough and I liked it a lot, example being the key animator in Naruto series and the character designer of The Tatami Galaxy (hell, I think I like his work in that anime more than the anime itself, I need to re-watch it)
Feb 23, 2016 7:44 AM

Feb 2015
Only director I know is that dude who said that chinese cartoons were a mistake. So no I don't care. I somewhat care about studios though.
Feb 23, 2016 8:29 AM

Sep 2013
masterofgo said:
Mayuka said:
Only if I know them.

the thing about Madhouse is..they always have been hiring freelancer even before the bankruptcy..and they still deliver with there manga adaptations so whats the problem..? studios' job is chosing the right staff to work on the right project whether they was in-house or freelancers..and make those staffs work under the best conditions and schedule..if you really think that studios does not matter then I hope you are enjoying Naruto's shit load of filler Eps which is totally not studio pierrot's fault..XD
Feb 23, 2016 8:34 AM
Nov 2009
Very much so, especially animators and directors. My MAL list of favourite people in the industry consists of animators.
Feb 23, 2016 8:34 AM

Oct 2015
Usually no unless I discover that I really like there work in general. I want to see everything Hayao Miyazakis' done because I've discovered that I like his work.
Feb 23, 2016 8:35 AM

Feb 2010
Long-term there are directors whose filmography I wanna complete as much as possible (Dezaki, Yuasa, Miyazaki, Oshii, Kon, Takahata, Okiura etc..) but I don't really shape my day to day watching schedule to fit that agenda.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 23, 2016 8:36 AM

Jan 2016
malki said:
masterofgo said:

the thing about Madhouse is..they always have been hiring freelancer even before the bankruptcy..and they still deliver with there manga adaptations so whats the problem..? studios' job is chosing the right staff to work on the right project whether they was in-house or freelancers..and make those staffs work under the best conditions and schedule..if you really think that studios does not matter then I hope you are enjoying Naruto's shit load of filler Eps which is totally not studio pierrot's fault..XD

The problem is the main decision making body and some of the main staff that is responsible for their gems in the 00's left Madhouse. This video discussed this one.

Feb 23, 2016 9:04 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Of course. For the writers I have; Gen Urobochi, Konaka Chiaki, Nonuko Keiko, Mari Okada, Sato Dai, etc...
Directors: Satoshi Kon, Mamoru Oshii, Hayao Miyazaki, Hideaki Anno, Mamoru Hosoda, Isao Takahata, Osamu Dezaki, Makoto Shinkai, Akiyuki Shinbo, Sayo Yamamoto, Rie Matsumoto, Masaki Yuasa, etc...
Animators: Yutaka Nakamura, Hiroyuki Okiura, Hiroyuki Imaishi, Andou Masashi, Yoh Yoshinari, Takeshi Honda, etc...

Anyway, yeah, I care, and I do "go out of my way" to watch their stuff, though mostly the directors' and writers' stuff than the animators' (I will admire their cuts, however).
BatoKusanagiFeb 23, 2016 9:13 AM
Feb 23, 2016 9:06 AM

Aug 2015
I think all of Makoto Shinkai's works because of how detailed he is in terms of arts/music
Feb 23, 2016 9:15 AM

Aug 2015
All I care about is the Studio , Artstyle and Soundtrack. Nothing else matters much ( beside the writer and story , obviously :P )
Feb 23, 2016 9:25 AM

Jan 2015
Yes, after that flaming hot garbage that was Charlotte, I'm staying well clear of any more of author/director/script writer/theme tune composer/jack-of-all-trades Jun Maeda's works. I refuse to think PA Works had anything to do with it.
Feb 23, 2016 9:28 AM

Sep 2013
CapitalistGod said:
malki said:

The problem is the main decision making body and some of the main staff that is responsible for their gems in the 00's left Madhouse. This video discussed this one.

I already saw this video..and it bring nothing new to the table tbh..we all know that a bunch of Madhouse staff either become freelancers or moved to other studio after the bankruptcy..but that wasnt the point, the point is..good studio means good staff (in-house or freelancers) working under good conditions and good sechudling, and thats means good adaption..and thats why most if not all of madhouse manga adaptations are faithful to its source material no matter who the staff are..
and dont even make me start shitposting about his other retarded video about how madhouse did NOTHING in OPM..I dont think he even know what "animation studio" means..he basically think that Madhouse after the bankruptcy became just the name of a building where animators do their job..I could turn my garage into an animation studio better than madhouse by these standars..XD
Feb 23, 2016 9:29 AM

Jan 2016
remmi_demmi said:
Yes, after that flaming hot garbage that was Charlotte, I'm staying well clear of any more of author/director/script writer/theme tune composer/jack-of-all-trades Jun Maeda's works. I refuse to think PA Works had anything to do with it.

Oh.... so you don't believe that if it's a 26 episode show... it'll be better?
Feb 23, 2016 9:30 AM

Dec 2012
I care about animation studios and music composers, but other than that not much else.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Check-in for the Spring 2024 season (for those watching a bunch of seasonals)

WatchTillTandava - 12 minutes ago

3 by Serafos »»
6 minutes ago

» show me your anime 3x3 ( 1 2 )

707supremacist - May 5

88 by 666 »»
6 minutes ago

» Is your waifu photogenic?

Catalano - Yesterday

20 by Mishiia »»
6 minutes ago

» Best grey haired girl?

Spunkert - Feb 4

9 by Zarutaku »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » Which group of people is more profitable for anime?

Sanjay63773 - 2 hours ago

7 by tchitchouan »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.