Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Feb 2, 2016 4:43 AM
Jan 2012
I wonder why I don't seem to be enjoying this as much as everyone else since I usually enjoy this genre. Healer died and I don't even remember his name. Have 0 attachment to the characters and they're just their classes to me. I just kind of fast forwarded the montage at the end.
Seems like they are going to be taking it hard next episode and probably picking up the next day or so. I feel like they don't have the luxury of a period of mourning though. They struggle day to day livings, decided to pay for his funeral, and he was oober important to the party. Those arrows to the legs and shoulders and stuff could put them out for weeks or even kill them off now without a healer right?

Also lol at the part where the goblin is hanging like a monkey and draws back the crossbow with his foot. And dang that club goblin. He was huge. Like 8-10ft tall? That's crazy for a goblin. Is he supposed to be like an evolved subspecies, half orc/giant, or something?

So is this supposed to be a dark comedy where you laugh at their misfortune?
Feb 2, 2016 5:34 AM
Oct 2011
Ugh. Of all the characters they killed off my favorite and the best among the group imo. It all happened so fast it didn't sink in for awhile even after the priest confirmed it.
I guess that's 'reality', but now I'm bummed. Here I thought things were starting to look up at the beginning of the episode with all the upgrades and teamwork.

And to the ppl dissing Manato's decision on putting off healing himself, they're obviously thinking as a gamer who can just afford to stand still, laugh it off with a 'Oops, sorry dude' if some party member was K.O.ed because he told them to wait when being chased down by a mob.
Manato prioritized the lives of his teammates and considered the possible consequence if they had even stopped for a moment. It could've ended up with more than one death for all they or we know. At a critical time where death is knocking on one's front door, you can really see the true colors of a person. Whether he is one who prioritizes his own life, or the life of his friends.

As the leader of the group, the 'parent-figure' of the group, and healer of the group, the toughest thing he could ever face would probably be the loss of a fellow teammate. So I gues Manato's leadership & caring personality (which sometimes can be a fatal flaw as seen this time) and character as a Priest/Healer in him shone through, and his last noble act was to ensure the lives of the rest of his party were safe, though at the cost of his own life. ><

And I don't think its anyone's fault this happened. Other than the LN author that is *glares* >.>... Granted, having the healer in the front lines is an odd formation no matter how you see it. But do you see anyone else in that party more qualified to do the job and stay level-headed?
Either way, they were still too inexperienced. And in a world where its kill or be killed (much like in war times), anything could happen. Fact is, as much of a chance that a Goblin could be killed in a blink of an eye while sleeping in this world, so could a human. Its the cruel fairness of the way the 'real' world works.

R.I.P Manato. It was only for a short time, but you will be missed T_T
eddiec90Feb 2, 2016 1:28 PM
Feb 2, 2016 5:39 AM
Dec 2015
Kinda expect Manato to die since episode 2. The death flag is too obvious to ignore but i really like the music used by the anime. The insert song is so damn good and i will still continue to watch it even though it turn sucks just for the music and song. It got the potential to be as successful as Guilty Crown in term of music
Feb 2, 2016 6:17 AM

Jan 2013
So now, Haruhiro will become a bit more badass or not ?
Feb 2, 2016 6:58 AM

May 2011
Now i know why manato is being classified as a supporting character in the anime page. Meanwhile i see a new face, mary, who is also a priest, i suppose she will become the new healer of the team, now the chicks vs dicks ratio is even lol.

That aside, both hands up for the great bgm.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Feb 2, 2016 7:03 AM

Apr 2009
I haven't touched the LN yet and now I'm wavering. Because my favourite and the basically the character that balances it all dropped dead right at the beginning of the series. Like, seriously? What kind of author kills off almost the main character right away?

What's up with all that buildup with Shihoru, for example? No point in showing us the hints of romance that will never happen now.
I thought it was great that such a character was in this series but now I guess it's going to be all fighting bakas?

He died so soon it was too early to cry/to feel sad, whatever. I guess I'm not the only one who hasn't fully realized it yet.

I also understand his decision to save everyone which basically showed his character, it was very Manato.

What I feel REAL SAD about is not his death but the fact that the guy will never know who he was before he came to Grimgar. Don't you find it sad? Dying in an unknown country for an unknown purpose, forgetting all people important to you. I find it really really sad.
Sig Removed. Hosting site unavailable and giving fall virus readings
Feb 2, 2016 7:23 AM

Apr 2008
I used to be in Grimgar, but then I took an arrow to the back. All those death flags mang. Really liked Manato, too.

rest in priest ;__;

You are afraid to die, and you're afraid to live. What a way to exist.
Neale Donald Walsch

Feb 2, 2016 7:57 AM

Nov 2010
Fantastic episode. Reading comments and reviews seems like those who were expecting an action show are slowing starting to drop it which I am happy about. It is NOT about the action. So many people expected SAO. I honestly find this story-line alot more engaging.

Really liked Manato, but I knew his death was going to happen. Called it in episode 2 thread. Interested to see how the characters progress know that they know the feeling of death of a friend.
Feb 2, 2016 8:01 AM

Nov 2011
Machination said:
SoraSenpai said:
The fact people are giving this series AOTS is hilarious.

The fact that you joined an online forum discussion site, and cant stand people having their opinions is hilarious! :-D
Oh did I say I can't stand people having opinions? I believe not, why would I not stand something if it gives me a good laugh.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Feb 2, 2016 8:03 AM

Jan 2016
How have you guys interpreted Manato's last words?

I'm sorry, I'm counting on you (to lead the party etc.).

Or.

I'm sorry, for counting on you (I'm dying because of you).

I didn't expect him to be killed off so fast, it was always bound to happen, MC can't just be a party member, he has to be the leader.
Feb 2, 2016 8:06 AM

Nov 2010
Fappa said:
To clear some things up. What happened in this episode introduced us to a dark side which will control this story. Death is an omnipotent thing that can happen anytime to anyone, that’s what this tries you to teach.

For the first time they’ve faced the consequences of their actions in the most direct way, death.

Some people maybe think now „I can’t feel bad for his death when I barely knew him as a character“ and yes that’s somewhat the point.

Neither we or them really knew Manato as a person. We as the viewer and them as a team were on the way to get to know each other more but with a finger snap he’s gone like that, forever. It’s supposed to show us and them how fast a human being can die in the blink of an eye and because of a single mistake.

And we see how hard his death hits them emotionally. Each character reacts individually to this and will develop into a different direction. This is the first of many traumatizing things they will have to suffer. First the act of killing but now they face an even more traumatizing experience. The death of a human being that they have known and spent every single day with. It’s actually interesting to see how every single one of them has a different facial expression and gestures, shows you how those basic characters slowly develop into actual complex characters.

So what mistake did they actually do that cost Manato his life? Both Manato and the others made mistakes over and over again without knowing it.

- Manato was way too cautious. He basically healed every single wound even if it was just a scratch and hurt a little bit which caused him to run out of stamina really fast. You can’t blame him he was scarred about the others’ well being and maybe also couldn’t estimate the seriousness of the wound. So in the end it all came down to inexperience and lack of communication.

- Also did you realize that their priest, their healer, was constantly at the front lines basically acting like a tank? The one class that was supposed to be the farthest away from battle was the focus of the battle instead. This was bound to fail sooner or later but they couldn’t help it.

Now they are deprived of their healer, their leader and most of all their voice of reason. If you think about it Manato did a lot of things therefore his loss is especially hard for them.

Manato supervised their finances, he gathered information about good hunting grounds, he planned what they would do each day, he made the strategies and made the calls for certain actions in combat and most of all he was the person that brought them together and kept them together.

-For Shihoru he was the person to see her weak personality and comfort her. They emphasized on that with the scene at the start

-For Yume he was the most caring person who looked out for others, especially Shihoru.

-For Haruhiro he was the closes to a friend in this world.

-For Ranta, well I guess he was the one keeping him at a leash.

-For Mogzo he was another person with a rather calm personality with whom he could be at ease.

Now all that is gone and you see how hard it hits them. Right now they don’t have a perspective and not the will to go on. Soon enough they will have to move on and they have to ask themselves… Where do we find ourselves another healer? Who will be the leader from now on? How do they have to change in battle, where can they improve and let something like that not happen again? These are some of the things that we will have to see in the upcoming episodes.

I simply love the ending sequence where they show how they say their goodbyes to Manato by scattering his cremated remains with the wind.

As a LN reader I'm satisfied.

Fantastic post that I hope everyone reads. I do think people are still confused by the type of show the creators are trying to make. I saw some comments with people hoping for some type character becoming OP all of a sudden. I guess today's genre's really are corrupting the type of shows people want to see. To me, there are ENOUGH of those OP main characters who never loses a fight.

Again for those watching it wanting action. It might be time to think about droping it. Not trying to be rude at all either, it just is not the point of this show...
Feb 2, 2016 8:24 AM

Dec 2014
Call me anything you want, but I wasn't expecting his death. Maybe I was expecting some character not so relevant to die sooner o later, but not Manato.
It kind of caught me off guard. Can't wait for the next episode.
Feb 2, 2016 8:26 AM
Aug 2012
Isuru said:
How have you guys interpreted Manato's last words?

I'm sorry, I'm counting on you (to lead the party etc.).

Partially correct.

Isuru said:

Or.

I'm sorry, for counting on you (I'm dying because of you).

I actually have no idea how someone made this dumb assumption when it wasn't Haruhiro's fault at all (he even got injured trying to protect Manato at the start). Nope that was never the case.

I am sorry was for the fact that while Manato praised the others, he didn't say anything to Haruhiro with who he was the most friendly with.

Counting.........on you for taking care of them.

Isuru said:

I didn't expect him to be killed off so fast, it was always bound to happen, MC can't just be a party member, he has to be the leader.

Being a leader isn't easy.....it's quite harsh. Haruhiro has quite the tough times ahead.

Feb 2, 2016 8:27 AM

Apr 2009
Sieye said:
Fappa said:
To clear some things up. What happened in this episode introduced us to a dark side which will control this story. Death is an omnipotent thing that can happen anytime to anyone, that’s what this tries you to teach.

For the first time they’ve faced the consequences of their actions in the most direct way, death.

Some people maybe think now „I can’t feel bad for his death when I barely knew him as a character“ and yes that’s somewhat the point.

Neither we or them really knew Manato as a person. We as the viewer and them as a team were on the way to get to know each other more but with a finger snap he’s gone like that, forever. It’s supposed to show us and them how fast a human being can die in the blink of an eye and because of a single mistake.

And we see how hard his death hits them emotionally. Each character reacts individually to this and will develop into a different direction. This is the first of many traumatizing things they will have to suffer. First the act of killing but now they face an even more traumatizing experience. The death of a human being that they have known and spent every single day with. It’s actually interesting to see how every single one of them has a different facial expression and gestures, shows you how those basic characters slowly develop into actual complex characters.

So what mistake did they actually do that cost Manato his life? Both Manato and the others made mistakes over and over again without knowing it.

- Manato was way too cautious. He basically healed every single wound even if it was just a scratch and hurt a little bit which caused him to run out of stamina really fast. You can’t blame him he was scarred about the others’ well being and maybe also couldn’t estimate the seriousness of the wound. So in the end it all came down to inexperience and lack of communication.

- Also did you realize that their priest, their healer, was constantly at the front lines basically acting like a tank? The one class that was supposed to be the farthest away from battle was the focus of the battle instead. This was bound to fail sooner or later but they couldn’t help it.

Now they are deprived of their healer, their leader and most of all their voice of reason. If you think about it Manato did a lot of things therefore his loss is especially hard for them.

Manato supervised their finances, he gathered information about good hunting grounds, he planned what they would do each day, he made the strategies and made the calls for certain actions in combat and most of all he was the person that brought them together and kept them together.

-For Shihoru he was the person to see her weak personality and comfort her. They emphasized on that with the scene at the start

-For Yume he was the most caring person who looked out for others, especially Shihoru.

-For Haruhiro he was the closes to a friend in this world.

-For Ranta, well I guess he was the one keeping him at a leash.

-For Mogzo he was another person with a rather calm personality with whom he could be at ease.

Now all that is gone and you see how hard it hits them. Right now they don’t have a perspective and not the will to go on. Soon enough they will have to move on and they have to ask themselves… Where do we find ourselves another healer? Who will be the leader from now on? How do they have to change in battle, where can they improve and let something like that not happen again? These are some of the things that we will have to see in the upcoming episodes.

I simply love the ending sequence where they show how they say their goodbyes to Manato by scattering his cremated remains with the wind.

As a LN reader I'm satisfied.

Fantastic post that I hope everyone reads. I do think people are still confused by the type of show the creators are trying to make. I saw some comments with people hoping for some type character becoming OP all of a sudden. I guess today's genre's really are corrupting the type of shows people want to see. To me, there are ENOUGH of those OP main characters who never loses a fight.

Again for those watching it wanting action. It might be time to think about droping it. Not trying to be rude at all either, it just is not the point of this show...

Thank you very much for quoting this post, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed it. On my behalf, I was afraid that it'd turn into an action-only show, and I'm really happy it didn't as I was completely persuaded with the episode in which they kill their first goblin.

I'm really looking forward to reading the novels now. Now, where do I find the time for that now...
Sig Removed. Hosting site unavailable and giving fall virus readings
Feb 2, 2016 8:44 AM

Oct 2013
LeeNoriega said:

What I feel REAL SAD about is not his death but the fact that the guy will never know who he was before he came to Grimgar. Don't you find it sad? Dying in an unknown country for an unknown purpose, forgetting all people important to you. I find it really really sad.

I think it is better this way. From the hints about his past I suppose he wasn't happy in the previous world. He thought he was "not the kind of person people usually treat as friend", remember? I believe Grimgar was actually the best what happened in his life. He was finally valued and needed. He finally had friends. He died too early but he died happy.
Learning who he was in previous life would probably be painful for him.
Feb 2, 2016 9:09 AM

Oct 2013
what?
gebrielFeb 2, 2016 9:45 AM
Feb 2, 2016 9:10 AM

Feb 2013
*Sigh* Bye bye, best guy -_-

Also this
Feb 2, 2016 9:38 AM

Dec 2015
Ritshiro said:

Also this

Good catch, the team that has been animating this seems to be forgetting details from just seconds before like the arrow in Manato's back and now Yume's bag has mysteriously disappeared. They need to step up their game in this regard, since we can notice this stuff you would think someone that has to look over these details and get it reviewed would notice it too -_-.
Feb 2, 2016 10:04 AM

May 2011
Cejara said:
Ritshiro said:

Also this

Good catch, the team that has been animating this seems to be forgetting details from just seconds before like the arrow in Manato's back and now Yume's bag has mysteriously disappeared. They need to step up their game in this regard, since we can notice this stuff you would think someone that has to look over these details and get it reviewed would notice it too -_-.

Not just that, the colour of the legs, they're weird

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Feb 2, 2016 10:21 AM

Jul 2009
Kiev said:
Cejara said:

Yeah I thought her leg colour was messed up too, but she's wearing high socks don't forget (although it some sequences it really doesn't look like it)

And I so didn't notice the missing bag. Did someone take it or is that an animation problem?
Feb 2, 2016 11:26 AM

Apr 2015
They paced it really well up until now but the death scene was too flat and rushed, it needed a few more dramatic shots IMO. Without them I couldn't immerse in their emotions.

And would you cut out the lyrics in the music, please?
Feb 2, 2016 11:32 AM
Jan 2016
Ryuutobi said:
PantsOnHead said:
The way they Kill goblins is the least realistic aspect of the show. Being unable to hit an enemy from behind unless your job is a thief is as far removed from reality as you can get. If this was truely a show about realistic fantasy, then the combat wouldn't be constrained to video game tropes.
You seem to have a bad memory. In episode 2, Ranta stabbed the lone goblin from behind. It's the attack that made him said "Did I just cut into his bone?" while trembling. Mogzo too hit the goblin's head from behind.

But according to the thief, it wasn't a "skill".
Feb 2, 2016 12:05 PM

Nov 2010
Manato > Goblins > Others Characters

Damn, now i'm with these badass gob' >>
BrunechildFeb 2, 2016 12:09 PM
Feb 2, 2016 12:06 PM

Jan 2016
Dragon_Slayer_X said:

I actually have no idea how someone made this dumb assumption when it wasn't Haruhiro's fault at all (he even got injured trying to protect Manato at the start).

Because no ones ever been blamed for something that was out of their control before, right?

Just like Kirito wasn't blamed for the deaths of those in his party in SAO, even though he tried to warn them and did his best to protect them ;)

All sarcasm aside, you may very well be right and most likely are, but you can never rule out other theories until you have more information.
Feb 2, 2016 12:37 PM

Feb 2013
Inugirlz said:
Kiev said:

Yeah I thought her leg colour was messed up too, but she's wearing high socks don't forget (although it some sequences it really doesn't look like it)

And I so didn't notice the missing bag. Did someone take it or is that an animation problem?

Yup but in that scene she wasn't wearing any, it looks like the one who added the colour to that scene mistook her legs with the high socks :I

and about the bag, I think it could be a perspective problem rather than a drawing mistake.
Feb 2, 2016 12:57 PM
Aug 2012
Isuru said:

Because no ones ever been blamed for something that was out of their control before, right?

Obviously Manato would only blame the MC instead of the whole team right.......even though he was injured trying to protect him. Considering Manato was a nice person who looked after all of them and good friends with the MC.............his last words wouldn't really be I'm sorry, for counting on you (I'm dying because of you).....lol.

Isuru said:
All sarcasm aside, you may very well be right and most likely are, but you can never rule out other theories until you have more information.

Just want to point out that your second theory wouldn't really work considering what we have been shown about the characters so far. Maybe the sorry part is vague but the later part is more or less clear.

Feb 2, 2016 2:41 PM

Mar 2010
So what is a noob group going to do without a healer.. I wonder if the MC becomes healer now or something.. doubt it.. but it sure will be very hard now to do anything.

nice episode.
Feb 2, 2016 4:53 PM

Apr 2015
I watched it while on the way to work today and almost started bawling in the elevator... no!!!! If the next episode does this to me I might have to drop it.
Feb 2, 2016 8:09 PM

Nov 2012
Overconfidence to what would lead to a grueling struggle and a heartbreaking death. None of that in this adaptation.
Horrible episode.
Feb 2, 2016 9:10 PM

Jan 2013
This pacing... Three eps of nothing and then suddenly manato dies.
Feb 2, 2016 9:12 PM

Jan 2016
It was nice to see that there is little shield when it comes to death but they could have held off just a little longer.. Great episode anyway
Onei
Feb 3, 2016 12:11 AM

Feb 2014
Wow this episode got kind of dark.

The squad got careless and this was the result. RIP Manato
Feb 3, 2016 2:17 AM

Jan 2009
WinnDixieX3 said:

As soon as I heart Haru saying "There are many other chances to ask" I jumped from my chair and went like "Did you just freaking raise a death flag?!" and the next sentence confirmed it and it was so saaad :(
Poor Manato... And also I feel sorry for the pink haired girl...

I wonder how the group will now act without their "leader" (and a priest as well, they will have to find someone with a healing skill or acquire it somehow by themselves)...
Exactly the same here, I was like "NO, NOT THE DEATH FLAG ;A;" "NOW YOU'VE DONE IT". Gawd, well it was expected to some degree.

:( This show is good and it hurts.

:(
Feb 3, 2016 3:18 AM

Jul 2013
Poor Manato, he received the Akame ga Kill's treatment (not that his death wasn't obvious taking into account the deaths flag of the beginning and when Haruhiro had that thought of "so I believed".

The death scene wasn't too emotional to me, but the funeral part was well done. Now that the plot device is dead, the plot can move. Btw, dat Jouji Nakata priest this episode.
Feb 3, 2016 3:18 AM
Apr 2015
after the water color image the pace became gruesome. showing them standing around not knowing what to do after they spread the ashes is a good thing but showing it for so long with nobody moving but there hair flying around is stupid. 1. there were still some ashes on the sheet in the shot before so they aren't even finished. 2. yume is not standing straight and she wouldn't do that for so long while having someone lean on her.

the insert song completely failed its purpose since everybody (as seen in your comments) really noticed that there's a song and that just takes away from the experience.

this episode should have picked up the pace but for me it really didn't. next episode seems to be about them coming to terms with his death so that's gonna be slow too. right now i don't think the pace will ever pick up.

since they're always telling us that this isn't a game but they have been put into this situation by someone and there a whole bunch of rpg mechanics i think they're lying at this point.
Feb 3, 2016 4:48 AM

Jan 2016
Did like the episode very much, A lot of feels to get a hold off. This series is certainly a nice watch :)
Anime Community Owner - https://discuss.moe
Feb 3, 2016 5:25 AM

Jul 2015
IzayoiSk said:

I already said that this will occur in the Vol. 3. after the death of his first love.
Haruhiro is the only character who wins development and maturation, among the main characters, Haruhiro is the only one that has relevance to the plot and story.
- Yume has the genki mentality, along the LN it does nothing of relevant, importance and nothing that deserves prominence, in addition to not add a lot to story and plot. Yume is the character of fanservice of Grimgar.
- Ranta is the stupid and retarded friend of the MC, Ranta is the character who does stupid things and retarded throughout the show and serves to comic relief, but he also has the aggravating factor to be boring and annoying.
- Manato is the character of self-insertion of author as Hayato Hayama was Oregairu, that character that is perfect at all and still have all girls interested in him.
- Mogzo not much to talk about he.
- Shihoru like this as Yume is another heroine generic, Shihoru is shy stereotype, like this as Yume and Ranta, Shihoru does nothing of relevant and prominent along the LN and also not add or not add anything to the plot and history of Grimgar.
even the new characters that appear throughout history in LN and supporting characters seem more important and relevant, in addition to having moments and more prominent important, relevance and memorable along the LN, Apart from adding and be more relevant to story and plot that Grimgar than Yume, Ranta, Mogzo and Shihoru together throughout LN.
really people's knowledge about the LN is practically non-existent.
if you guys do not want to read the LN or at least seek information and knowledge about source material of Grimgar, you guys should wait at least the show ends, and stop publishing these ridiculous and biased evaluations and conclusions about the story and the characters.

No matter what is the best character in the show, the plot-driver, the one who pushes the narrative forward. because in the end we will have a generic and repetitive waifu, without POV, without interior monologues, without development, with shit personality, Mary-sue, CGDCT or Moe, plot device for developing the MC, just the love interest of MC, a character to fanservice, without depth, poorly written, repetitious, beating in men and/or in the MC throughout the show, most often barely have screen time, useless, does not add anything at all to story and plot of the show.
Completion in 95% of shows this character will be the most popular of the show.
So it is no surprise that 95% of the shows in MAL has this type of character as the most popular of show.
And as expected, in Grimgar is no different, and again this kind of character is the most popular of the show.
Cr7_vi_BritanniaFeb 3, 2016 5:13 PM
Feb 3, 2016 5:48 AM
Nov 2014
I honestly didn't feel anything for the death of Manato.

He always felt a little distant as a character, as if he was hiding something about himself or about the world.

His death was somewhat foreshadowed by the brief talks he had with Haruhiro. You felt some impending doom from him.

Art is superb as always.
Feb 3, 2016 8:22 AM

Sep 2014
Cr7_vi_Britannia said:
IzayoiSk said:

I already said that this will occur in the Vol. 3. after the death of his first love.
Haruhiro is the only character who wins development and maturation, among the main characters, Haruhiro is the only one that has relevance to the plot and story.
- Yume has the genki mentality, along the LN it does nothing of relevant, importance and nothing that deserves prominence, in addition to not add a lot to story and plot. Yume is the character of fanservice of Grimgar.
- Ranta is the stupid and retarded friend of the MC, Ranta is the character who does stupid things and retarded throughout the show and serves to comic relief, but he also has the aggravating factor to be boring and annoying.
- Manato is the character of self-insertion of author as Hayato Hayama was Oregairu, that character that is perfect at all and still have all girls interested in him.
- Mogzo not much to talk about he.
- Shihoru like this as Yume is another heroine generic, Shihoru is shy stereotype, like this as Yume and Ranta, Shihoru does nothing of relevant and prominent along the LN and also not add or not add anything to the plot and history of Grimgar.
even the new characters that appear throughout history in LN and supporting characters seem more important and relevant, in addition to having moments and more prominent important, relevance and memorable along the LN, Apart from adding and be more relevant to story and plot that Grimgar than Yume, Ranta, Mogzo and Shihoru together throughout LN.
really people's knowledge about the LN is practically non-existent.
if you guys do not want to read the LN or at least seek information and knowledge about source material of Grimgar, you guys should wait at least the show ends, and stop publishing these ridiculous and biased evaluations and conclusions about the story and the characters.

No matter what is the best character in the show, the plot-driver, the one who pushes the narrative forward. because in the end we will have a generic and repetitive waifu, without POV, without interior monologues, without development, with shit personality, Mary-sue, CGDCT or Moe, plot device for developing the MC, just the love interest of MC, a character to fanservice, without depth, poorly written, repetitious, beating in men and/or in the MC throughout the show, most often barely have screen time, useless, does not add anything at all to story and plot of the show.
Completion in 95% of shows this character will be the most popular of the show.
So it is no surprise that 95% of the shows in MAL has this type of character as the most popular of show.
And as expected, in Grimgar is no different, and again this kind of character is the most popular of the show.

Yikes. Something tells me we won't get to Vol.3 thought. I really hope this "GF" of his isn't the one I'm thinking of because that would actually make me sad.
Feb 3, 2016 9:16 AM

May 2009
Honestly I thought the series would've made a real good start if they'd just bluntly killed off a character. But frankly.... it didn't, in my opinion.

The pacing is really ridiciously slow. Even the animations on some parts are just ridiciously slow. In my opinion it doesn't feel realistic. It just feels so awfully slow and it annoys me at times.

The fact that I don't care about Manato dying has everything to do with that. I don't have any "feels" at all, not even for one second. I believe it's a good thing to show people how harsh life can be and how easily someone dies in a RPG-"realistic"-world. But not this way. It's just... plain bad to be honest. It feels very forced. The part where the group is "sad" also felt very forced.

For a 12 episode anime I really wonder how they are going to pull things off. I still watch because I'm actually still interested in the plot and how they are going to introduce "the real life" or "how everything was before". But if it's just going to be plain fillers then I'll probably drop it even if it means to drop at episode 7 or so.
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Feb 3, 2016 2:11 PM

Aug 2011
Really surprised at what happened in this ep. I didn't think it had the courage to kill off one of the group, let alone a healer at that. Even though I didn't care enough about Manato himself, I certainly felt how it negatively affected the group.

I have a feeling that there will always be a air of sorrow underlying this series and I'm really interested in how the group will progress from this loss. I'm getting more hooked week after week.
Feb 3, 2016 2:47 PM

Apr 2014
moeanao said:
Manato was like the only character I kind of liked. Rather than sadness, I felt anger instead? I did see his death coming tho. Now that he's dead, I wish I would like any of the other characters even a little, but I don't feel anything for them.

That's because Manato was type a boy you can find in Shojo, or manga for girl something like this. So they killed him for have impact on viewer.

Time for Haruhiro to be a mon-mon-monster killer ! like we said in cs:go. btw when you see "Drama" in "genre" of the anime you know someone will die and this rules is universal (90% animes ). Thanks for spoil MAL. <3

(sry bad english xP )
AkaihiroFeb 3, 2016 2:52 PM
Feb 3, 2016 3:03 PM

Feb 2013
it is sad-na
but a good reminder to let them grow-na
I like how Yume telling stories-na
the way of her speaking-na, very intresting-na!

wait, I think it is more cute than interesting-na
yume cute-na
I like her :3
hahaha
MyAnimeList』 『』 『MyMangaList
Feb 3, 2016 4:52 PM

Jun 2015
Really enjoying this anime so far, did not expect to see a death so early in the series and I was shipping Manato and Shihoru... hopefully Shihoru becomes stronger after this incident.
Feb 3, 2016 6:57 PM

Mar 2015
Now THIS is a good episode! Made me feel some stuff, and I'm really digging the slow-pace feel, honestly. I think the insert song this episode was actually pretty well placed, helping to kind of simmer down after the angst fest. Can't wait to see how the story will progress after this tragedy. Glad I kept watching after the first three mediocre episodes, and hopefully the entertainment value just keeps going up.

(awkward moment when a character death equals entertainment?? idk I have a weird mind)

Although, I think the line Haruhiro said before he got shot was really cheap, since it was basically a disclaimer "okay viewers, get ready for Manato to die!" But, that's probably my only gripe. Which is a new record for this series, so there ya go

Feb 3, 2016 7:46 PM

Jul 2012
I wonder if he will stay dead though. A lot of action shows like to revive their dead characters, so I still have a bit of hope left. Manato was best boy.

Nevertheless, I'm still sad because I didn't like anyone but Manato and the MC. They need to step up their game and improve the rest of the characters.

Also, I think this show is overdoing the music. An insert song in EACH FUCKING episode. You know the acoustic guitar song they use in the "Next episode preview"? Yeah, just use that during the sad scenes and I might have cried more. They have a fantastic seiyuu cast. You don't need any insert songs to cover it up.

shuryukan said:
This pacing... Three eps of nothing and then suddenly manato dies.
yeah lol, it's too weird.
Feb 3, 2016 9:52 PM

Apr 2012
Mayuka said:
I wonder if he will stay dead though. A lot of action shows like to revive their dead characters, so I still have a bit of hope left. .

nah they cremated his ass

RIP

Feb 3, 2016 9:56 PM

Jul 2012
Zeally said:
Mayuka said:
I wonder if he will stay dead though. A lot of action shows like to revive their dead characters, so I still have a bit of hope left. .

RIP
Well, it's a video game or fantasy world. Anything could happen.
Feb 3, 2016 10:21 PM

Mar 2014
Mayuka said:
Zeally said:

RIP
Well, it's a video game or fantasy world. Anything could happen.

he got cremated so its pretty much all over. if they had left manatos body the deathless king would have breathed false life into him and turned him into a zombie. its realistic enough in the sense that the dead dont return to life but its still a fantasy setting with an already established king of the undead so yeah obligatory reanimated corpses lol...
Feb 3, 2016 11:32 PM

Jan 2013
im just happy this kind of genre are not made for comedy/entertainment. god im sick of those shows.
Pages (10) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 10, 2016

430 by ChewySlimeI »»
Apr 24, 4:57 PM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2016

463 by T-h-u-n-d-e-r »»
Apr 22, 10:17 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 24, 2016

281 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 14, 9:11 PM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2016

206 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 13, 12:46 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2016

176 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 13, 12:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.