Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Konosuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Feb 21, 2016 12:46 PM
Jul 2018

I may be pointing out the obvious, but still...
Feb 21, 2016 1:52 PM

Dec 2015
Shinjisus said:
Firstly I thought you were a simple troll but now, now you have my attention.

I'm fan. I found you worthy of my time so please continue enterteining me like this. Your posts are hilarius :)

I personally don't find anything funny about the current predicament this community is in; rather I'm bemused that people continue to be so antagonistic towards my views for practically no logical reason.

Sangaz said:

As I said, while it may be fiction, the very fact that the story has such sexist elements should put its credibility as a work into question.
Feb 21, 2016 1:59 PM

Mar 2013
ichii_1 said:
fateoffate said:

Not surprising if you think like this. The Anime doesn't reach far enough.
She is about as lazy as Kazuma if not more. She suck up his money fast.

SansrivaaL said:

Incase you forgot Kazuma just DIED, it seems you dont know how heavy death is then if you think you can laugh it off, what kind of education did you get?

What does she get? she was the reason why they're in a huge debt in the 1st place.

And who is repsonsible for his revival each time? I'll be waiting for your answer.

Maybe she should have let dullahan kill a couple million people then flood him, that would be better right?

Think. Why do you think Dullahan only come to complain? If there is no one there, he already raid that town.
Spoiler here but

So no. That town was never in any danger.

Aqua stop working when Kazuma become rich. The only reason she work is because she doesn't have money yet.
Kazuma can't even escape from Aqua through death. It is a hell you can't escape no matter what.
fateoffateFeb 21, 2016 2:25 PM
Feb 21, 2016 3:17 PM
Jul 2018
CherryLover said:
Sangaz said:

As I said, while it may be fiction, the very fact that the story has such sexist elements should put its credibility as a work into question.

Why should it? I honestly don't see why.
Just as an example: Last week Walking Dead, little kid got eaten. Now I didn't sit there thinking "gosh, I object to such treatment of a child!", I was thinking "thank fuck for that, I hate child actors".

I really don't see why a work of fiction can cause such an upset with some folk. It's as if we're in 1960 and the book Lolita just came out.
I'd have thought with out progressive society that we'd be past getting out knickers in a twist over fiction.
Feb 21, 2016 5:13 PM

Jan 2010
Wait... this whole topic isn't a joke? oh my god people really think that way about this anime. Urgh I'll go watch last week's episode again to feel a little better.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 21, 2016 5:28 PM

Dec 2012
Ryuku-Tsukuyomi said:
Wait... this whole topic isn't a joke? oh my god people really think that way about this anime. Urgh I'll go watch last week's episode again to feel a little better.
Someone, please save me from these people who can't take a joke! I'm going to lose my mind.
Feb 22, 2016 5:15 AM
Jan 2016
Aqua is really a dump goddess.
Feb 22, 2016 6:47 AM

Oct 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:
Ryuku-Tsukuyomi said:
Someone, please save me from these people who can't take a joke! I'm going to lose my mind.

saving the GIF picture here!!! thank you!
Feb 22, 2016 7:02 AM

Dec 2015
Sangaz said:
CherryLover said:

Why should it? I honestly don't see why.
Just as an example: Last week Walking Dead, little kid got eaten. Now I didn't sit there thinking "gosh, I object to such treatment of a child!", I was thinking "thank fuck for that, I hate child actors".

I really don't see why a work of fiction can cause such an upset with some folk. It's as if we're in 1960 and the book Lolita just came out.
I'd have thought with out progressive society that we'd be past getting out knickers in a twist over fiction.

Oh, right. Then I suppose we can just handwave things like rape hentai and the like because they're fiction then. It's not about progressiveness here, I'm not even being radical. It's just basic to feel disgusted by actions that are naturally disgusting.
Feb 22, 2016 8:26 AM
Jun 2010
Feminist 101:
1. State your opinions as facts.
2. Talk over and interupt the person you're debating against. (Only apply when discussion are verbally taking place in close proximity.)
3. If the stacks are against you, derail the discussion.
4. Lie and slander the target indivual.
5. Play the victim card.
6. Rinse and repeat.

Stick to the thread topic and quit trying to derail it.

If you're disgusted, fine, no one here cares about your feeling. The discussion is about the anime, so stick to the topic.
Feb 22, 2016 9:21 AM

Oct 2014
Back to topic, huh?
Now that I think about it:
ichii_1 said:

But Aqua doesn't act like a retarded person.
She acts like a normal girl from this generation.

Oh no what had happened to this world? =D
Feb 22, 2016 9:53 AM
Jun 2010
Lol.

The way I see it most of them act out of self interest, and not really bullying.

Aqua - create problems, greed, and tries to shift problems onto Kazuma out of self benefits. A complete drunk later on.
Megumin - rejected by all other parties and blackmails Kazuma into inviting her into the party. Screw loose with her love for explosion.
Darkness - Perverted Masochist, not really much to say there.
Kazuma - Likes to seek (not exactly the right word) retribution on others regardless of gender. If given the chances, will be perverted, a scum lazing around, etc. later on.

They all both negatively and positively affects each other.

Aqua causes Kazuma to not be lazy and actually do work, and vice-versa, but Kazuma prevents Aqua from accepting obvious quest that would be considered suicdial. But in the case that death doea happen, Aqua can resurect the dead if time hasn't past by that long.

Kazuma teaches Megumin the importance of learning other magic, but decided to let her stick to her explosion obsession. As for Megumin influence on Kazuma, is more on the negative side, but she does help a lot being the one who can make a blow strong enough to bypass their battle level limitation.

Darkness causes Kazuma to have some connections, while Kazuma influnces. Darkness to be more flexible in her speech and decisions.
LazyLuongFeb 22, 2016 10:03 AM
Feb 22, 2016 10:09 AM
Jul 2018
CherryLover said:

Oh, right. Then I suppose we can just handwave things like rape hentai and the like because they're fiction then.

Absolutely, yes.

No one is being hurt. It's utterly pathetic to go on a rampage over a made up story.
There's a manga called Mai-chan's Daily life which I read years ago (some of the older member may know of it). It was about as fucked up as it gets. My reaction? "Urgh, Nah this really isn't my cup of tea", then I moved on.

Seriously, just go apply your neo-feminist opinions somewhere where it actually fucking matters.

Sorry for derailing to the rest of you. I'm done here.
Feb 22, 2016 12:19 PM

Mar 2013
Sangaz said:
CherryLover said:

Oh, right. Then I suppose we can just handwave things like rape hentai and the like because they're fiction then.

Absolutely, yes.

No one is being hurt. It's utterly pathetic to go on a rampage over a made up story.
There's a manga called Mai-chan's Daily life which I read years ago (some of the older member may know of it). It was about as fucked up as it gets. My reaction? "Urgh, Nah this really isn't my cup of tea", then I moved on.

Seriously, just go apply your neo-feminist opinions somewhere where it actually fucking matters.

I agree. In fiction, everyone should go all out.
Let out all your weird fetish. Show your view on the world or something.
No one get hurt from fiction. Well okay, the fragile heart of idiots get hurt but those aren't worth mentioning.
Feb 22, 2016 12:23 PM

Nov 2009
CherryLover said:
Look, if the show wasn't sexist, we wouldn't be angry at it. This show is sexist. Therefore we are angry and we would like others to not watch this. It's simple logic.

CherryLover said:

The way I see it, the show isn't sexist. You can argue that Kazuma is sexist (but he's probably just mean all around and horny), you can argue that Darkness is sexist (and willing to push her hentai-based stereotypes on any male she meets), but the show itself isn't. It does quite a lot of fanservice to the males, though.

If you can't handle sexism exhibited by the characters, not by the show, you aren't qualified to push feminism.

The way I see it, the main characters are all rather messed-up people, and the show derives much of its humor from that.
I'd say Kazuma and Aqua are rather realistic people with poor self-control (unlike Darkness and Megumin, who are totally unrealistic people with poor self-control).

Revvie-chan said:
Now that I think about it:
ichii_1 said:

But Aqua doesn't act like a retarded person.
She acts like a normal girl from this generation.

Oh no what had happened to this world? =D

Legends say of a better time in the past, a golden age when people were stoic and selfless, the 20th century. It's all in the past now, with people just looting ruins of the past age.

SansrivaaL said:
These guys tho, guys please, before posting make sure you freaking understand what youre going to post. You feminist are more funny than the show itself lol.

The story goes around an MMO type plot
Aqua isnt an ideal party member, so is Darkness, fcking Kazuma would be happy if they left him for the narcissist dude.
Since when was it alright for your arch priest the one thats supposed to heal you and support you ends up laughing at you from being chased by a giant frog? and tells you that you should worship them and give them food if he wants her to help him? like srsly wtf? LOL I would have left them in a blink of an eye if they did that to me.

Im guessing Ichi and Cherry has never played an mmo before hence why they dont understand shit of what theyre saying.

It doesn't have to be a MMORPG. It works the same for any team effort. MCs aren't a good team.
Kirito would have walked away on his own, occasionally helping out other people, then leaving.
Shiroe would have found a way to make use of their talents that didn't involve getting eaten by frogs.
Kanata (from Kuusen Madoushi) would have worked a lot to improve their teamwork.
But there's nobody like them in this team. Kazuma's planning ability is only on a battle shounen MC's level.

A_Little_Birdy said:
Kirito is just handed a bunch of free power because PLOT ARMORRR, it had nothing to do with his beta status. Seriously tho he is fine example of a cancerous MC archetype that exist in todays modern animes but this is a bit off topic but w/e.

If anything, KonoSuba's MCs live and breathe plot armor. Kirito can never measure up to what they have done in episode 6.
Feb 22, 2016 12:25 PM

Oct 2015
Sangaz said:
CherryLover said:

Absolutely, yes.

But watching hentai leads to a 1000% increase in rapes xP

Joking aside, I'm in total agreement. Don't like the show/manga? Stop watching/reading and find something else. It's really that simple.

LazyLuong said:
If you're disgusted, fine, no one here cares about your feeling. The discussion is about the anime, so stick to the topic.

I do notice that feminists like to use the Appeal to Emotion fallacy (along with many other fallacies) waaayyy too often.
Feb 22, 2016 12:32 PM

Jul 2014
flannan said:

SansrivaaL said:
These guys tho, guys please, before posting make sure you freaking understand what youre going to post. You feminist are more funny than the show itself lol.

The story goes around an MMO type plot
Aqua isnt an ideal party member, so is Darkness, fcking Kazuma would be happy if they left him for the narcissist dude.
Since when was it alright for your arch priest the one thats supposed to heal you and support you ends up laughing at you from being chased by a giant frog? and tells you that you should worship them and give them food if he wants her to help him? like srsly wtf? LOL I would have left them in a blink of an eye if they did that to me.

Im guessing Ichi and Cherry has never played an mmo before hence why they dont understand shit of what theyre saying.

It doesn't have to be a MMORPG. It works the same for any team effort. MCs aren't a good team.
Kirito would have walked away on his own, occasionally helping out other people, then leaving.
Shiroe would have found a way to make use of their talents that didn't involve getting eaten by frogs.
Kanata (from Kuusen Madoushi) would have worked a lot to improve their teamwork.
But there's nobody like them in this team. Kazuma's planning ability is only on a battle shounen MC's level.

Never said or meant that its exclusively for MMORPG only, I used it as an example because its this show's plot. Other than that I dont know what youre trying to prove here.
Feb 22, 2016 9:54 PM

Nov 2009
CherryLover said:
I agree. KonoSuba is a show that passes off degrading and insulting treatments of females as comedy, and tries to justify it by various means. In a way, it's worse than shows like Shokugeki, because those don't bother to justify their sexist scenes. KonoSuba though, is appalling in that matter. In fact, in episode 5, Kazuma calls himself someone who supports gender equality, which is obviously untrue. He's making fun of the feminist movement and I simply cannot stand a show that tries to drive such political messages through so-called comedy.

Did you hear that putting females on the pedestal is sexism too? Women aren't fragile flowers to be adored.

Rime55 said:
I do notice that feminists like to use the Appeal to Emotion fallacy (along with many other fallacies) waaayyy too often.

Probably because their opponents try to pretend to be emotionless, because that's so macho.
Feb 24, 2016 9:57 PM
Feb 2015
ichii_1 said:
-kazuma is obviously the author, an edgy otaku, hikikomori, (former) neet.
-the prejudice against Aqua has to stem from somewhere, author couldn't be a part of the popular girl's group and now she makes her into a bimbo.
https://animecommentaryredux.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/konosuba-15.png?w=640
-darkness could also be a factor, she's used as a punching bag for the author to vent her frustration.
-megumin is chuunibyou and anger/destructive impulses (explosion).

1) actually the author's self insert is another girl from Megumin's village Arou. ~Confirmed by the author~ and Arou isn't much like Kazuma (he bullies her too) nor is she a wall flower unpopular girl. She's basically a Chuuni Author.

2) It looks like you have no sense of humor if you can't get the buddy comedy slapstick humor going on between kazuma and aqua. As a sidenote: one of the long running joke in both the LN and WN before it is how all the bad things that happen in this world are tied in some way to one of the people Aqua resurrects. See, some of her character traits are she's lazy and of sub-average intelligence. This of course leads her to give god like powers to people of questionable moral and ethical grounding and sending them off into a fantasy world without a care or oversight on how they then chose to use that god like power.
. Of course all of this is played for laughs by the author. because this is a comedy.
-the idea the author has something against pretty and popular girls falls flat when you see all the positive examples of pretty AND popular girls in this anime/series. The issue isn't that Aqua is pretty and popular, it's that she's a horrible person, someone who has direct parallels to plenty of MALE sidekick characters who is basically there for things blowing up in her face after she gets smug and to make the mc's life both miserable and enjoyable. If you've seen Clannad, you'll see a pretty strong parallel to aqua in the MC's best friend Sunohara; they basically play the exact same role in the story. The only difference is aqua also doubles as the "mascot" character of the series, which means she's far more prominent, but her basic role is pretty much identical to that of Sunohara in Clannad

3) All you've seen of darkness thus far is that Darkness is a gag character the author invented to top Aqua and Megumin; if you read the LN the author builds the audience's expectations for an even weirder character and slowly builds into darkness's weird tastes. By the time the audience grasps how messed up darkness is, the joke is spent and the first novel is basically over. As a result she doesn't really start to fill out Darkness's character until the 2nd book. She's twisted yes, but also lonely, and as we see in book 3 (paired with certain reveals later) she's actually one of the most pitiable and shockingly HUMAN characters in the story. The reality is the most mercilessly bullied female characters in this story are Wiz and Yunyun, neither of whom fit any trope you're currently trying to claim the author is or is not due to the female characters she bullies with the plot or other characters

4) Megumin was one of two main love interests in the WN; and while the story varies a bit in the light novels from the web novels it appears that megumin remains the main or one of the main love interests in the story. So claiming that Megumin represents some sort of chuuni rage or rage against chuunis or author hate against chuunis is silly. If you're saying it represents the author's love of chuunis, you're probably right, afterall, her own self insert is another crimson chuuni, Arou.

CherryLover said:
I agree. KonoSuba is a show that passes off degrading and insulting treatments of females as comedy, and tries to justify it by various means. In a way, it's worse than shows like Shokugeki, because those don't bother to justify their sexist scenes. KonoSuba though, is appalling in that matter. In fact, in episode 5, Kazuma calls himself someone who supports gender equality, which is obviously untrue. He's making fun of the feminist movement and I simply cannot stand a show that tries to drive such political messages through so-called comedy.

You're in the wrong place to complain about gender equality in anime. First of all it's called comedy. A twisted fact about comedy is 95% of it is LAUGHING AT SOMEONE. Shokugeki no Soma (written by a man) shows more gratuitous male nudity then female. And yes, it's pointless fanservice, and yes it's played for laughs because it's absurd. KonoSuba's roots weren't in a visual media like manga, but a written one. So instead of mostly VISUAL gags (like SnS) konosuba is filled with a majority of verbal situational and characters ones. As a result the MC is the brunt of the joke. the female leads are the brunt of the joke. the heroic white knight is the brunt of the joke. EVERYONE is made fun of, made a fool of and insulted or joked about at some point in time all in the pursuit of FUNNY

Furthermore, this show is a PARODY. In a parody nothing is sacred. Watch Gintama some day, the idiot males do stupid stuff and the idiot girls do stupid stuff and it's all mostly in the persiut of a laugh. We see the same thing here.

Now if you want to examine the oppressive role of the patriarchy in anime there are LOADS of anime i could point you to right now which are MANY times worse then Konosuba. Some even airing right now. (Erased for example) The only reason you're not blowing up those forums is because (for example) in Erased is the MC in Erased isn't verbally insulting stupid people when they do stupid stuff, because Erased is not a comedy. However Erased and many of the other shows airing this season like most seasons are all shining examples of sexism in anime, and you're wasting our time spilling your outrage on a show which not only was written by a woman but which is a very cleverly written parody comedy (a source of entertainment you clearly do not appreciate)
azanimefanFeb 24, 2016 10:17 PM
Feb 24, 2016 10:17 PM
Jun 2010
That's quite the insightful post azanimefan, I enjoyed reading it =)
Feb 24, 2016 10:27 PM
Feb 2015
LazyLuong said:

NP; I probably took the feminist outrage too seriously. Personally I mostly think the "sexism" complaints are more a meme or form of moderate trolling then anything else. They're certainly shallow complaints compared to what a real tried and true feminist would be offended by in anime. Frankly this is a horrible form of entertainment for feminists or christians to find fun watching, as nothing about anime is particularly feminist or christian. Japan lags behind the west BADLY in women's rights, and it bleeds into most of their media, especially anime. The few "true" feminists I know and have known can't even sit through 5 minutes of pretty much any anime before becoming so offended and disgusted they won't watch anymore; so the idea that Konosuba is so unpalatable to feminists while the rest of the series airing this season get a pass strikes me as fake outrage
azanimefanFeb 24, 2016 10:32 PM
Feb 25, 2016 12:52 AM

Sep 2015
AHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHHA

Ratohnhaketon said:

Are you stupid?The whole anime is clearly a subliminal message of sexual discrimination!!Baka!
Feb 25, 2016 3:48 AM

Nov 2007
I don't read the LN but all I can say that there is no one, absolutely no one deserves to be treated more badly than Aqua.

— She is extremely rude. She made a mockery of Kazuma's death
— She is a prick. She is only ever thinking why she must to be worshiped
— She is all talk. She makes life harder for Kazuma when she was supposed to make it easier
— She is unbelievably selfish. She only thinks about how to hog all (or majority) of the reward money
— She has double standards. She only talks about equal share when there is debt, not to mention she was the reason for it
— She lacks self respect. She is arrogant in one second (belittling Kazuma) and desperate in the next (clinging on to Kazuma)

This is not about discrimination. This isn't even about abuse. This is well deserved and I like it the way it is. :)
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 25, 2016 4:55 AM

Mar 2015
how the fuck this thread not locked yet because being derailed? lOl.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 25, 2016 7:52 AM

Sep 2013
^were all on topic :(

@azanimefan I noticed you didn't even take into account the amount of times Aqua saved everyone (they turned evil but is that her fault? why don't blame the system?) and gets shit in return and treated like garbage, there is a clear contradiction and bias there, saving/reviving people = useless/debt

Feb 25, 2016 9:29 AM

Apr 2014
Has to be a troll right? I think the only reason I log onto MAL now is for a dose of CherryLover.

CherryLover said:
Of course we aren't implying that all women who do not support our ideals for equal rights are outcasts. They just haven't understood the importance of feminism yet

Seriously, I can't stop laughing. Too fucking good.
Feb 25, 2016 10:28 AM

Mar 2013
ichii_1 said:
^were all on topic :(

@azanimefan I noticed you didn't even take into account the amount of times Aqua saved everyone (they turned evil but is that her fault? why don't blame the system?) and gets shit in return and treated like garbage, there is a clear contradiction and bias there, saving/reviving people = useless/debt

Low luck. Basically everything Aqua do will come back to bite her.
All other Gods are sick of her being arrogant jackass so they get rid of her when they get the chance.
You can even say that Kazuma choosing her is due to her bad luck.

And as everyone said, author self-insert is not Kazuma. The author made both Kazuma and Aqua jackass for fun.
Author self-insert is someone from Megumin's clans. The character is an aspiring chuuni writer. Guess what kind of anime is this?

Why the fuck you take everything in comedy anime seriously anyway? Triggered because your life is similar to Aqua?
Before you spout Aqua is held back by author nonsense again, I will tell you everyone get hold back by something too so shut up.
fateoffateFeb 25, 2016 10:39 AM
Feb 25, 2016 11:20 AM

Jan 2011
azanimefan said:
LazyLuong said:

NP; I probably took the feminist outrage too seriously. Personally I mostly think the "sexism" complaints are more a meme or form of moderate trolling then anything else. They're certainly shallow complaints compared to what a real tried and true feminist would be offended by in anime. Frankly this is a horrible form of entertainment for feminists or christians to find fun watching, as nothing about anime is particularly feminist or christian. Japan lags behind the west BADLY in women's rights, and it bleeds into most of their media, especially anime. The few "true" feminists I know and have known can't even sit through 5 minutes of pretty much any anime before becoming so offended and disgusted they won't watch anymore; so the idea that Konosuba is so unpalatable to feminists while the rest of the series airing this season get a pass strikes me as fake outrage

GG, bro. I'm glad someone realized sexism and misogyny exist even when there aren't insults flinging or women being beaten. Sexism can be present even within a "gentlemen." I do, however, believe it's possible for a woman to support sexism and misogyny despite their gender. Not to the benefit of their group as with the creators of other isms, I think. The idea of the male hero always saving the girl and being a gentleman at all times in spite of the nature of the girl can be seen as very sexist. It reduces the heroine to the position of a valuable commodity that needs to be obtained and protected in order for the male hero to assert his moral character. He is always righteous, she is always attracted to him, he is always defined by his deeds, she is always defined by her worth in his eyes, etc. A helpless princess in a castle being saved by a knight in shining armor can be just as "sexist" as a male and female soldier from two warring nations ripping each other apart. I think it's not how the female character is treated but rather how she is treated because she is female.
I do believe that sexism and misogyny is a serious problem in all places in the world including Japan and the United States (don't feed me the bullshit about how we're a developed country, tech/resources =/= racial/gender equality). And whether we realize it or not even as a male it can have devastating consequences on us as well, be it you're the son of a single mother who makes less as a woman than as a man, you having to sit through the pain of having a bunch of people asking your girlfriend what she was wearing at the time of said rape or how many drinks she had, or why you weren't with you. And let's not forget all of the societal expectations that force men into a mold of stoicism that restricts them from properly regulation their emotions that don't equate with anger, or dominance. The idea there isn't only superiority and strength and weakness doesn't exist within a "real" man, anything less makes you less than a human being in the eyes of others, including women.

Sorry for the rant, I think Konasuba has sexist elements in it not unlike pretty much all works when you think about it, be it costumes, the goals of female characters, the satellite effect among men, or the inevitable nerf of character many seem to get once they fall in love. The blinkered perception some feminist have regarding certain topics doesn't disqualify the movement to it's core, it just shows how comfortable some have gotten with the "conveniences" that are, in fact sexist and fail to realize it.
QWERTYFish25Feb 25, 2016 11:23 AM
Feb 25, 2016 11:22 AM

Dec 2015
azanimefan said:
LazyLuong said:

I'd love to hear why you think, for instance, ERASED is so much more sexist than Konosuba (which I don't think is particularly sexist)
Feb 25, 2016 11:24 AM

Jan 2011
asaspades said:
azanimefan said:

I'd love to hear why you think, for instance, ERASED is so much more sexist than Konosuba (which I don't think is particularly sexist)

I haven't watched that, not to slide off-topic but what would be the key sexist things regarding that anime?
Feb 25, 2016 12:45 PM

Jul 2014
azanimefan said:

Could not resist but...
Feb 25, 2016 1:00 PM

Dec 2015
QWERTYFish25 said:
asaspades said:

I haven't watched that, not to slide off-topic but what would be the key sexist things regarding that anime?

Minor spoilers: I assume it's mainly that the MC (a guy) goes back in time to save a girl from his class who was killed (and his mother by extension, since she ends up being killed by the same person in the future). It's a little bit damsel in distress but it's executed effectively, and I don't think a trope is sexist in and of itself.

I was just curious since he mentioned it was more sexist than Konosuba which is a criticism of Erased I haven't seen before.
Feb 25, 2016 1:21 PM

Jan 2011
Ah, I figured, that's a tough one. I think as long as the creator doesn't try their damn-est to make the female least unnecessarily helpless or dependent on the male lead I think it's alright. I mean if the main girl is a 10-yea-marine vet and the guy is some stereotypical nerd there shouldn't be a reason he outdoes her in her own field. Granted if he is a "nerd" and depending on her precise job in the service there could be many ways for him to stand out in his own right in terms of ability or character. The contrast could him softening her up after years of war, rather than the typical other way around (like beauty and the beast But then again he was a selfish prick and she had a considerable level of independence that didn't seem to waver like with other characters.)

I dunno, If I were to write a story I would try to avert gender roles unless the time period justifies it (1600s Europe, feudal Japan etc.) That's not say that Every character should lean away from femininity and every man should avoid to masculinity, to some degree, no mater how perfect a world is it has standards and cultural norms that persist, even in the near future. But what I do notice is male character are given much more should room in that regard. A man can be a her, a coward, a villain, or a regular person, where as a woman, is fitted into this role with some kind of catch, if they're not the villain they're often from exceptional circumstances. For instance; being the daughter of a noble or powerful family who had no male heirs and therefore she not only has to take up the role but overcompensate to quirky levels. There is some truth in this thanks to sexism in itself. Sadly, fiction is often a mirror of our surroundings.

As I was saying gender roles wouldn't exist in a work of mine unless it was consistent to the setting or a particular plot. In my story the royal family of one of the countries is matrilineal, and the people of said country by comparison to others don't see women as helpless things that need to be secured. Nearly 40% of of their military are women. This, of course doesn't make the setting sexist proof but it does allow a greater variety of female roles ranging from the "normal" ones to the less common ones such as combat soldiers and female autocrats.
QWERTYFish25Feb 25, 2016 1:28 PM
Feb 25, 2016 1:30 PM
Jun 2010
I'm going to go off-topic for some adovacating.

Sexism has many flaws, there's no. denying that, but sexism is what causes men to bare the risk for a chance of the reward. It is also causes chivalry from men, and wanting to provide for their family and women. Since modern society treat sexism as the plague, so did the whole ideal of chivalry and providing everything for their women, carrying the women's burden as well.

With the ideal of sexism, Kazuma is going out of his way to support the girls in his party despite their flaws and carrying the danger that comes with those flaws. He is willing to let the girls take advantage of him and his money while he is to carry the burden and debt cause by his team members. It is program into him from all his ero game being the male hero (diluting him into intially thinking he was special with cheat stats.) If it was not, he would have ditch the girls and the party a long time ago, because it is already establish that Kazuma is a jerk. Being in a component party will make his work and life safer.

Is he bullying the girls because they are female? No, he reprimand and treat the girls the way he do in the series because they are all mess up, and in the same way Kazuma is mess up, the girls does the same back to him.
Feb 25, 2016 1:46 PM
Nov 2015
How did it end up like this?
But it seems my AquaKazuma-ship just hit an iceberg, which is pretty sad. D:

*sob
Feb 25, 2016 5:14 PM
Feb 2015
asaspades said:

see this post

QWERTYFish25 said:
Sexism can be present even within a "gentlemen." I do, however, believe it's possible for a woman to support sexism and misogyny despite their gender. Not to the benefit of their group as with the creators of other isms, I think. The idea of the male hero always saving the girl and being a gentleman at all times in spite of the nature of the girl can be seen as very sexist. It reduces the heroine to the position of a valuable commodity that needs to be obtained and protected in order for the male hero to assert his moral character. He is always righteous, she is always attracted to him, he is always defined by his deeds, she is always defined by her worth in his eyes, etc. A helpless princess in a castle being saved by a knight in shining armor can be just as "sexist" as a male and female soldier from two warring nations ripping each other apart. I think it's not how the female character is treated but rather how she is treated because she is female.

sums up why Erased is sexist pretty well.

Now understand, When i was talking about other anime triggering feminist outrage, I wasn't supporting the outrage in the least. The USA has enough issues far more pressing then some lingering sexisum, if you've ever been homeless and hungry you learn very quickly how little any of this SJW nonsense matters in the grand scheme of things. It's like complaining about the toothache when you just had your arm chopped off. Sure the toothache sucks but there are far greater issues of concern in daily american life then to spend time getting angry over a japanese cartoon treating cartoon characters badly. Especially when it's done strictly for laughs. When you get a shotgun shoved in your face and a roomate is dead on the floor from that same shotgun and same gunman all over a robbery of < $20; you'll realize just how nonsensical most people's daily concerns and outrages are

truly a first world problem.
Feb 26, 2016 2:01 AM

Jan 2011
azanimefan said:
asaspades said:

see this post

QWERTYFish25 said:
Sexism can be present even within a "gentlemen." I do, however, believe it's possible for a woman to support sexism and misogyny despite their gender. Not to the benefit of their group as with the creators of other isms, I think. The idea of the male hero always saving the girl and being a gentleman at all times in spite of the nature of the girl can be seen as very sexist. It reduces the heroine to the position of a valuable commodity that needs to be obtained and protected in order for the male hero to assert his moral character. He is always righteous, she is always attracted to him, he is always defined by his deeds, she is always defined by her worth in his eyes, etc. A helpless princess in a castle being saved by a knight in shining armor can be just as "sexist" as a male and female soldier from two warring nations ripping each other apart. I think it's not how the female character is treated but rather how she is treated because she is female.

Now understand, When i was talking about other anime triggering feminist outrage, I wasn't supporting the outrage in the least. The USA has enough issues far more pressing then some lingering sexisum, if you've ever been homeless and hungry you learn very quickly how little any of this SJW nonsense matters in the grand scheme of things. It's like complaining about the toothache when you just had your arm chopped off. Sure the toothache sucks but there are far greater issues of concern in daily american life then to spend time getting angry over a japanese cartoon treating cartoon characters badly. Especially when it's done strictly for laughs. When you get a shotgun shoved in your face and a roomate is dead on the floor from that same shotgun and same gunman all over a robbery of < $20; you'll realize just how nonsensical most people's daily concerns and outrages are

truly a first world problem.
I'd prefer not to play oppression Olympics with regards the problems which may be unique to us from time to time. I get what you're saying but there a bit of a problem with that logic, when I mentioned sexism being a first world problem I didn't mean it as a problem exclusive to those type of places. People here are more vocal about it because there's a tad more support, less risk (on average) and better networking. It's not a foreign, outlandish comcept. Much like how white people are kissing MLK's ass as he turns over in his grave to the last lingering thoughts of what he considered towards the end of his life the march into "a burning house" Those same kind of people would be the one's spitting in the faces of boycotters. Now even the most conservative Right-wing won't argure MLK was right in the end, that's the comfort zone the face of white people in America have acquired. The same thing can be said regarding sexism among other things. I wouldn't regard social justice as nonsense in the least, especially considering literally the same percentage of white people who believed racial equality was a reality back in the 50s and 60s say the same thing today. You wouldn't be taken serious as a human being if you said that about the 60s now.

While I do understand there are more dire things in the moment of their that are rampant in our world we also have to understand that they have a root. Things like entertainment are often one of the biggest contributors of our thoughts and take on reality, even when we know them to be an exaggeration we still use them as a relative point for understanding things. And so the conveyance of media is a major player in how both men and women treat...well men and women. While I do believe the arguing over how sexist Kona Suba is is fruitless, flawed, and blinkered towards the anime industry as a whole I still do believe there is some significance towards the thoughts about it. My beef is how selective the complaints are towards this.

I also believe people have a right to gripe about anything they feel is rigged or unnecessary. That's not to say talk about racism and oppression while you're performing open-heart surgery or something. But I don't believe the extent of suffering a human being may experience on the other side of the globe somehow invalidates what one may being try to do in order to make life more enjoyable, for all we know there may be a connection to it all.
Mar 18, 2016 10:10 PM
Mar 2016
QWERTYFish25 said:
People get so bent out of shape over this, I see nothing wrong. Too many times have I seen similar works where the guy is borderline loser (whatever that means) and the girl is a total babe with some "special qualities". The girls follow the guy and bitch him out along the whole way, he does something good it gets overridden by the accidental pervert trope. She gets into trouble he has to get her out of it with barely a real thank you. People complain this show is sexist or misogynistic but in reality it more realistic than "serious" anime. Here the girl bitches and gets bitched back at, rightfully so I will add. There's no puppy eyes and running into a corner for her until he apologizes for showing genuine emotion towards her stupidity. He's not willing to just stand there and be the breaking back for the group with nothing in it for him, he's not gonna sit there and be swindled out of his belongings simply because there is a vagina across from him, or he's not gonna allow a well deserved lesson be thwarted simply because a couple of women (that asshole knight's party) have a problem with him. He's a genuine character by comparison to a lot who share a genre.

People in this thread complain about sexism. But where is the complains about the excessive nudity, the oblivious and overly innocent girls that infest anime who, by the way operate in a society that consistently regulates limited standards for them? And let's not forget the opposite, the "mature" often older woman who always seems to fall out of her clothes with each step? You know, the one who keeps throwing herself on the protagonist, has a history of being used by former lovers, or even, fawns over the protagonist in a way that screams "rebound."

I don't know about you guys but as much as I like ecchi I really dislike the-dimensional, obnoxious, guiltless heroine with a built-in sensitivity-switch that manages to get her out of taking responsibility for any stupid deed she does or says.

Very interesting.

LazyLuong said:
Lol.

The way I see it most of them act out of self interest, and not really bullying.

Aqua - create problems, greed, and tries to shift problems onto Kazuma out of self benefits. A complete drunk later on.
Megumin - rejected by all other parties and blackmails Kazuma into inviting her into the party. Screw loose with her love for explosion.
Darkness - Perverted Masochist, not really much to say there.
Kazuma - Likes to seek (not exactly the right word) retribution on others regardless of gender. If given the chances, will be perverted, a scum lazing around, etc. later on.

They all both negatively and positively affects each other.

Aqua causes Kazuma to not be lazy and actually do work, and vice-versa, but Kazuma prevents Aqua from accepting obvious quest that would be considered suicdial. But in the case that death doea happen, Aqua can resurect the dead if time hasn't past by that long.

Kazuma teaches Megumin the importance of learning other magic, but decided to let her stick to her explosion obsession. As for Megumin influence on Kazuma, is more on the negative side, but she does help a lot being the one who can make a blow strong enough to bypass their battle level limitation.

Darkness causes Kazuma to have some connections, while Kazuma influnces. Darkness to be more flexible in her speech and decisions.

Seems like it. Thanks for the perspective.

Like a lot have said here, it's not as if she doesn't deserve quite a bit of it.

At the start, I can only imagine how hurtful it would be if someone laughs hard on such a death then even hide dangerous footnotes before signing a contract.

I can understand how it can be considered low comedy but I really enjoy it and I hope there'd be more of it.

I also hope that there'd be more material for people who don't like the show due to another preference. I can understand some frustration due to the realistic nature of numbered studios, limited time and budgets.
Mar 19, 2016 3:32 AM

Jan 2014
I get the point of Aqua being bullied, perhaps sometimes too much, but I really don't see where her gender comes into play. Kazuma calls her lazy, selfish, and a good for nothing, and bullies her because of that. That could apply to a guy all the same, and the other two girls actually tend to agree with him: did no one notice Darkness staring at Aqua in episode 10 when they needed more mana?

In fact, this thread exists because people tend to think they should go easy on Aqua because "she's still a girl". That's not how equality works. If Aqua was a male character this thread would not have existed, and you know it. We'd get comment like "poor sod", "lol, lol, lol, Aqua getting trolled again", and that'd be the end of it.

Regarding Aqua in the cage, again the other girls had the same stance on it as Kazuma, and Aqua wasn't traumatised. Real trauma doesn't dissappear after a quarter of an episode, after someone comes around that worships you as a goddess. It only served to underscore Aqua's haughtiness. Kazuma also said that specific episode that he just doesn't care about gender, and will strike against people if they have it coming, using whatever he can against them.

I actually like Aqua as a character, I still ship Kazuma x Aqua, and I do think she's bullied too much sometimes, but really feminism and gender have nothing to do with it.

azanimefan said:
asaspades said:

see this post

But then,.. what about Hiromi?
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Mar 19, 2016 11:24 PM
Mar 2016
Laionidas said:
I get the point of Aqua being bullied, perhaps sometimes too much, but I really don't see where her gender comes into play. Kazuma calls her lazy, selfish, and a good for nothing, and bullies her because of that. That could apply to a guy all the same, and the other two girls actually tend to agree with him: did no one notice Darkness staring at Aqua in episode 10 when they needed more mana?

In fact, this thread exists because people tend to think they should go easy on Aqua because "she's still a girl". That's not how equality works. If Aqua was a male character this thread would not have existed, and you know it. We'd get comment like "poor sod", "lol, lol, lol, Aqua getting trolled again", and that'd be the end of it.

Regarding Aqua in the cage, again the other girls had the same stance on it as Kazuma, and Aqua wasn't traumatised. Real trauma doesn't dissappear after a quarter of an episode, after someone comes around that worships you as a goddess. It only served to underscore Aqua's haughtiness. Kazuma also said that specific episode that he just doesn't care about gender, and will strike against people if they have it coming, using whatever he can against them.

I actually like Aqua as a character, I still ship Kazuma x Aqua, and I do think she's bullied too much sometimes, but really feminism and gender have nothing to do with it.

azanimefan said:

see this post

But then,.. what about Hiromi?

Kinda reminds me when Kazuma admitted he believes in some gender equality and would dole out a drop kick on a girl instantly LOL.

Gonna rewatch the anime again but yeah I think on a few times, he was just mean like when Aqua arrived with extra food from somewhere then Kazuma ragged on her as being useless... but LOL when she crocodile teared the next day :P

Yeah for now, I still like Kaz x Aqua in my own fantasy.

Pointless but I would like to see an alternate where Kaz and Aqua hitched it of better, even as friends. That's what I thought where it was generally heading after ep. 1. ...not that I would no longer love the material if the author still kept doing usual slapstick (or w/e else its called) Kaz x Aqua.
Mar 20, 2016 3:28 AM

Jan 2014
tubers said:
I think on a few times, he was just mean like when Aqua arrived with extra food from somewhere then Kazuma ragged on her as being useless... but LOL when she crocodile teared the next day :P

Yeah, I didn't like that part either, and commented on it before. I guess it happened at least a few times the other way around too though, and let's not forget that had Aqua showed some restraint, the entire party would have been loaded by now (city walls incident).

I do think Kazuma and Aqua are in fact very close. Whenever he reflects on how he likes his life, even with or especially with his useless teammates, he always thinks of Aqua first (and often only). We're just not used to a main male character who is himself a tsundere.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Mar 20, 2016 9:26 AM
Dec 2014
Laionidas said:
tubers said:
I think on a few times, he was just mean like when Aqua arrived with extra food from somewhere then Kazuma ragged on her as being useless... but LOL when she crocodile teared the next day :P

Yeah, I didn't like that part either, and commented on it before. I guess it happened at least a few times the other way around too though, and let's not forget that had Aqua showed some restraint, the entire party would have been loaded by now (city walls incident).

I do think Kazuma and Aqua are in fact very close. Whenever he reflects on how he likes his life, even with or especially with his useless teammates, he always thinks of Aqua first (and often only). We're just not used to a main male character who is himself a tsundere.

I think Aqua x Kazuma is only possible if Aqua loses her godhood. In fact it's very possible she will. Remember she broke the rules of heaven to revive Kazuma.

It's a shame they skipped the chapter where Kazuma tried to solo a dungeon. Aqua actually showed her good side that time but in the end Kazuma still bullied her.
Mar 21, 2016 12:50 AM

Oct 2014
Huex3 said:

I think Aqua x Kazuma is only possible if Aqua loses her godhood. In fact it's very possible she will. Remember she broke the rules of heaven to revive Kazuma.

The fact that heaven immediately got rid of her once they got the chance (by Kazuma choosing Aqua as his "special power") is actually the strongest evidence of Aqua losing her Godhood status :P
(though that doesn't mean she will lose her God power. As long as the Axis cult stands strong & worships her, there simply no way she will run out of God power.)

But Aqua x Kazuma is a different thing.
It actually has no relation to whether Aqua retains her status as Goddess or not. (The writer can simply develop the plot that way. We've seen it millions of times, in many literature, Japanese or non-Japanese.)
But it's still a difficult thing to happen.

But I do think that there will be an Aqua x Kazuma development.
Mar 21, 2016 3:27 AM

Sep 2010
Existence of this thread screams of fucking FemiNazis...
99.9% of anime, it's okay for a girl to abuse the male MC for literary nothing. But 0.1% of anime, if a girl is abused (in this case, is this actually abuse) by male MC for valid reasons, it's pitchfork time.
Mar 21, 2016 9:39 AM
Dec 2014
Revvie-chan said:
Huex3 said:

The fact that heaven immediately got rid of her once they got the chance (by Kazuma choosing Aqua as his "special power") is actually the strongest evidence of Aqua losing her Godhood status :P
(though that doesn't mean she will lose her God power. As long as the Axis cult stands strong & worships her, there simply no way she will run out of God power.)

It actually has no relation to whether Aqua retains her status as Goddess or not. (The writer can simply develop the plot that way. We've seen it millions of times, in many literature, Japanese or non-Japanese.)

Sorry but how far are you in the Light Novels? You've read it right?
Mar 21, 2016 10:04 AM

Sep 2014
imo
Aqua gets bullied mainly because she is stupid.
Mar 21, 2016 10:43 AM

Oct 2014
Huex3 said:
Revvie-chan said:

since anime is over, Il think talking this here now won't really be that much of a spoiler. But still I keep to the rules of using spoiler tags.

Nah, only as far what we, the international community, already have
Mar 21, 2016 1:20 PM
Jun 2010
very nice post about intelligences and wisdom not being the same. I definitively agree with you on that.
Mar 21, 2016 1:34 PM
Dec 2014
Revvie-chan said:
Huex3 said:

since anime is over, Il think talking this here now won't really be that much of a spoiler. But still I keep to the rules of using spoiler tags.

Nah, only as far what we, the international community, already have

ahh the fanfic. I see

Mar 23, 2016 10:27 AM

Oct 2014
Huex3 said:

ahh the fanfic. I see

hmm...
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2016

282 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 14, 1:12 AM

» Who will end up with Kazuma ?

lightning_angad7 - Apr 3

25 by trinitroglycerin »»
May 7, 12:19 PM

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Karoshi- - Jan 12, 2016

389 by JLDAVYD_ofc »»
May 2, 7:05 PM

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2016

416 by knowndisc »»
Apr 28, 1:54 PM

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 17, 2016

219 by Comander-07 »»
Apr 27, 3:11 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.