Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 7, 2018 2:09 AM

Jun 2016
Kikuhiko's really not cut out for comedy. Hehe. But he's still exploring and figuring out what type of rakugo he's really for. :)

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jan 25, 2018 6:50 PM
Dec 2015
this shit's so good...
Feb 19, 2018 2:56 PM

Jul 2015
I can't say I was too big on any of the Rakugo performances (like, the show tries to show how Sukeroku's performance was really funny while Yakumo's was boring, but neither of the two got me close to laugh), but I liked the character drama of this episode.

Yakumo basically got abandoned after he got hurt in the leg and now he has to do a thing he doesn't like just for the sake of having a place to live, and let's see if that is even confirmed considering how poor was his performance according to the viewers. On the other hand, Sukeroku loves doing Rakugo and he got the public totally loving it, they are such complete opposites and it will be interesting to see more of their interactions.
Apr 10, 2019 9:29 AM

Feb 2013
Their childhood passed way too fast, it would have been nice if we could see some of their training there.
May 19, 2019 7:52 PM

Sep 2017
Quality episode. Excited to see the Yakumo's backstory. I like the dynamic he has with Sukeroku. It's also nice to see a globally acclaimed master of the art in the present not only initially struggle with such a difficult skill, but outright almost reject it.
Aug 26, 2019 1:50 PM

Mar 2010
I found Kikuhiko's performance easier to follow. Not sure if it was because of subtitles or not. I guess my brain works differently in appreciating this. Perhaps i felt sorry for Kikuhiko.

Sukeroku was more enthusiastic but that was that :D He is already good to the viewers eyes. Kikuhiko has a lot to improve and therefore telling the story from his perspective was a great choice to show character growth.
Dec 13, 2019 4:10 PM

Nov 2016
As expected, I really dig Shin's character and also the dynamic between him and Yakumo. And while I can't truly appreciate the rakugo performances, I still think they are amusing to watch.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 13, 2020 6:36 PM
Apr 2016
Yakumo certainly had a rocky start! Lovely backstory that I absolutely loved.
Jun 12, 2020 3:31 PM

Mar 2019
Nice episode.The backstory is good.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Sep 27, 2020 10:02 PM

Sep 2018
I feel bad for young Bon, I experienced that one time when I do an impromptu speech and I saw the judges and few audience don't care about what I want to say and they look bored.. it's very scary and sad at the same time.

I feel pity for him too, it's not easy to talk in front.. it takes a lot of courage to make people interested, listen and make them laugh.
Jan 3, 2021 6:48 AM

Jul 2017
This show really does benefit by being an anime compared to the manga. I love the attention to detail this show focuses on when showcasing the Kikuhiko and Hatsutaro's performances. It kind of reminds me of public speaking in school when I would do speeches whether its for assignments and presentations or Student Council related speeches.

While Kikuhiko memorized the story well to present it to the crowd, the lack of real body language shown by him with the lack of movement and pure stiffness from his body to his voice and his monotonous delivery of lines, especially when switching between characters in his performance made the crowd feel bored too. It felt like they were at a history lecture, forced to be there rather than wanting to be there.

Meanwhile what made Hatsutaro stand out with his rakugo performance was that said body language. He immediately yelled out his greeting, sending waves of shock and energy to the crowd and then proceeded to perform with so much passion and fire, constantly moving his body according to the actions that were happening in the story like him with the soba bowl or while counting, while his voice was adapting and changing to the situation and emotions at hand experienced by said characters with no monotonous or similar delivery at all for each character in that performance. His performance felt like people wanted to be there as they got to be entertained and experience the beauty of rakugo compared to Kikuhiko's, where they were just there for the sake of it.

This further reminds me of WWE promos. You have Hatsutaro almost be like The Rock, one of WWE's best ever in the promo business as he knows how to electrify a crowd with his voice, body language, lines and delivery, etc. While Kikuhiko sounds more like someone who's never spoken to the public in his life as he's forced to speak in front of a crowd to deliver lines and everyone just snoozes at his promo. It's all acting, but the delivery and energy is what matters cause for a lot of people who's there to experience that medium, its not always about the content but its more about the entertainment. That's why Hatsutaro got a wild reception that even made Kikuhiko smile at the end.

Overall, a great episode and start to the backstory arc with Sukeroku and the Yakumo from the current era. And I love how focused the show is with presenting the rakugo performances in full rather than cutting it short for the sake of progressing the story faster.
Oct 8, 2021 10:14 AM
Aug 2021
Love Yakumo and Sukeroku's dynamic!
The parallels between them are shown REALLY well.This series has some amazing voice acting.

Damn I could feel Yakumo's nervousness in his performance.
Apr 27, 2023 6:42 AM

Feb 2019
Sukeroku's performance was great!
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2016

262 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
Feb 14, 9:54 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2016

110 by itsagibbousmoon »»
Dec 21, 2023 7:15 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2016

196 by Abdullla_aah »»
Nov 25, 2023 9:10 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

203 by Shikkakku »»
May 2, 2023 1:48 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

134 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 7:40 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.