Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Jan 17, 2016 1:00 PM

Jan 2015
Great episode, finally enjoyed gate, for the first time after the first 2-3ep of season1. Hopefully they can keep up with the good quality, and dont get boring like season1.
I was also happy to see that 'our world' aka Japan finally grew some balls and striked on the other world a little bit, with both the bombing of the senate and that fight in the palace. :D 10/10 ep

There are different opinions about who started the war-both WW1 and WW2-You can't state those as a fact. Even historians disagree with each other.
I would really recommend Ken Follet's century triology for those who are interested in this matter, it gives you a really good NON-biased insight of what was going on back then.
BestBoiErenJan 17, 2016 1:08 PM
Jan 17, 2016 1:18 PM

Jul 2011
NIM7 said:
eslej said:

Like you said, whoever has the power make the rules. They wanted to know about the kidnapped japaneses. Prince refuses to answer risking the consequences. Doesn`t matter if slavery is ok in their world, neither JSDF nor the goverment needs to give a shit what it is ok to them. When facing an overwhelming power, you comply with their demands or die.

At least it's not without excuse, if they wanted to do whatever they wanted, they could anytime they wish. But no, they went out their way treating refugees, trying out peace talks, atc. Not to mention the whole world is watching the JSDF and their actions.

Also for a culture who sees slavery and torture as the norm, the only way to get the message across is to send a message in their language. The Empire is ruthless in the special reigns (Just as in our medieval history). In that world, it's always been show of force.

Plus they did mention that no civilians/inno died in the bombing, reinforcing the fact that they aren't out for blood. The JSDF have been very benevolent compared to the rest of the special region, yet they still use show of force because that's the most effective route for peacefuk negotiations. They try to establish the fact that there's nothing to gain by opposing the JSDF, but much to gain by trading/allying with them.

Also, I'm quite sure the bunny girl has a hidden agenda because I don't see the point of showing the contrast in her actions otherwise.
MirorinJan 17, 2016 1:51 PM
Jan 17, 2016 2:34 PM
Oct 2012
GenesisAria said:
Eh, it's not really worse, it's more that the american viewpoint spreads like cancer because of the media dominance.

Yes, it is actually worse because it is only too easy to see what is bad about the US, it is much much harder to understand how overwhelmingly good the US's impact on the world has been. Pax Americana was the best thing to ever happen to the globe, I only hope that you will not be alive to see what most likely will come after it ends.

GenesisAria said:
UK+colonies did the ass kicking on the western front, and USSR was pushing their end hard. Whenever i've heard from Europeans on the subject, i'm usually told that USA may have been there, but they weren't very helpful, and did a lot of credit taking for places cleared out by other forces (there were places liberated by canadian forces alone, as UK itself was running dry), giving the impression that USA was largely helpful. USA was mostly fighting Japan, and Japan was holding their own too. USA didn't become really powerful until the Cold War era.

The UK would have lost the Battle of the Atlantic had it not been for lend lease and massive US support (despite being "neutral"). Had the UK lost it, they would have been starved into surrendering. Likewise after the US entered the war, the UK and USSR would not have been able to maintain their forces without massive US aid. Likewise, without US aiding the Nationalists in China, Japan would have been able to both defeat China and be poised to strike the USSR.

GenesisAria said:
Another long ramble, but i didn't mean they wend in there and started picking a fight necessarily, it was more proxy agitation. Meddling about and leaving behind messes which blow up in their faces.

Meddling exactly how? Iraq invaded Iran on its own. Syria was a Soviet client state, and the Soviet's invaded Afghanistan. The prime places the US supported was Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Egypt. The rest was either screwed up by Russia, or were screwed up by local people. Even Iran, which is the one thing the US did "meddle" with (with the Shah's restoration) was more screwed up by Iranians than the US.

I have no problem stating where the US has messed up, but let's be factual about such things.

GenesisAria said:
Though to the episode, i'd rather see some cases where the medieval people actually can give the SDF a run for their money and not keep being cannon fodder like masochistic morons. Just because they had less sophisticated weaponry, doesn't mean they were moronic barbarians. Most fiction just shows them as charging all their warrior into the enemy blindly with no strategy or anything: it's false and rather demeaning.

Well, it would be ridiculous to pretend that any medieval state could match modern weapons. Only magic or the divine could do the trick, and in this world magic is too weak and the gods still uninvolved. Now I completely agree that the best medieval people were as intelligent as any person alive today, but the gap in technology is too great. As for the Emperor and Prince, the number of noble Nobles in history is far far less than the number of brutal thugs.
Jan 17, 2016 3:45 PM

Dec 2009
Takuan_Soho said:
Yes, it is actually worse because it is only too easy to see what is bad about the US, it is much much harder to understand how overwhelmingly good the US's impact on the world has been. Pax Americana was the best thing to ever happen to the globe, I only hope that you will not be alive to see what most likely will come after it ends.
Thing most people misunderstand, is that no matter what the politics of a nation are doing, for the average joe things are mostly normal. There were plenty of places in europe where people lived and would have had no idea there was a war going on without the radio unless troops started marching down the streets. And as far as russia being nasty? I haven't actually gone there to assess the sociological status first hand, but whenever i've heard, say, Putin's speeches or lines, i can almost agree with that morality, even if it may not be somewhere i'd be cosy. There's always this impression that NA is the best place to live, when i hear things very much to the contrary when people travel and interact with people on a personal level in various nations, including many places most people haven't even heard of.

Takuan_Soho said:
The UK would have lost the Battle of the Atlantic had it not been for lend lease and massive US support (despite being "neutral").
From what i'd gathered, they sat on guard duty mostly so that the UK could go offensive.

Takuan_Soho said:
Meddling exactly how? Iraq invaded Iran on its own. Syria was a Soviet client state, and the Soviet's invaded Afghanistan. The prime places the US supported was Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Egypt. The rest was either screwed up by Russia, or were screwed up by local people. Even Iran, which is the one thing the US did "meddle" with (with the Shah's restoration) was more screwed up by Iranians than the US.
I don't know, there's a whole slew of brainwashing going on all over the world, it's hard to get a straight picture of anything. So what if peoples fight eachother in the middle east, it's not the USA's business. Much of the poverty of the 3rd world is also due to the necessity of money in the modern world, in which countries like the USA, (Britain in the past) stick their noses everywhere and make so much reliant on money and resource trade, that suddenly these places give away their stuff and are left with little.

Takuan_Soho said:
Now I completely agree that the best medieval people were as intelligent as any person alive today, but the gap in technology is too great. As for the Emperor and Prince, the number of noble Nobles in history is far far less than the number of brutal thugs.
Bullets beats sword/shield, but bayonet (without rigorous training/experience mind you) does not beat sword or shield.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jan 17, 2016 3:58 PM

Mar 2015
how the fuck this thread turned into politic bullshit?

nationalism is fucking normal, you know why middles eastern and africa always in wars until now? that's because they lack of nationalism, so they are easy to provoke.

as long as it not "in your face" propaganda (cough cough "happy sience movie" cough cough), i don't fucking care.

OT: this episode thou, i feel the pace soo fast. but at least the story detail is not really messed up. 7/10.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 17, 2016 6:04 PM

Sep 2014
I'm really hoping that other countries eventually join in bringing "democracy" to the barbarians.
Jan 17, 2016 7:05 PM

Jun 2014
I thought the earthquake was gonna be a LOT more intense.
Also, I thought the king would be SO much more pissed off. But he's just like "Whatever"

Also, Where is the dragon we were promised?
And will Tuka ever realize her dad is dead?
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Jan 17, 2016 7:18 PM
Oct 2012
GenesisAria said:
I don't know, there's a whole slew of brainwashing going on all over the world, it's hard to get a straight picture of anything.

So in the end you are ignorant and expect everyone else to be as ignorant as you.

GenesisAria said:
IMuch of the poverty of the 3rd world is also due to the necessity of money in the modern world, in which countries like the USA, (Britain in the past) stick their noses everywhere and make so much reliant on money and resource trade, that suddenly these places give away their stuff and are left with little.

No, poverty is the norm. The only time poverty has been beaten has been because of the US and UK. 3000 years before either country existed the world was drowned in poverty, the only time nations have risen above subsistence for the majority of the population has been because of US or UK assistance. May I suggest that if you do not understand this reality that you perhaps should read more "neutral" history books?
Jan 17, 2016 7:20 PM
Oct 2012
Kuma said:

nationalism is fucking normal, you know why middles eastern and africa always in wars until now? that's because they lack of nationalism, so they are easy to provoke..

I have to disagree. Nationalism is a recent aberration, long before nationalism existed people were even more willing to hack their neighbor.
Jan 17, 2016 10:04 PM

Aug 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed the first half.. kill them bitches and whose them show's boss!
Just can't wait to butcher all of them like life stock.
Demn I'm not going to enjoy the drama for Tuka.
I don't like this depressing stuff.
And still no Rory. T^T
Jan 17, 2016 10:47 PM

Jun 2012
So they kidnapped Japs and they arent fucking them up after figuring out? Beta as fuck.
Jan 17, 2016 11:01 PM
Jul 2011
Sugawara understands why this is happening.
He understands why the king is saying why loving the people of its own country too much that it will leads to own destruction.
The king admits what would Sugawara actually think of his country.

I don't know how much Sugawara is knowledgable about the old era's history.
But let's say he knows his own country so well, since his country was once an imperialsitic country.
Sugawara's country, Japan lived tremendously longer than the Empire in the Special Region.
We could all say even though what the King says loving too much is a weakness, but that weakness is overcame long time ago.
So it is actually his country's strong point.

Since the king does not know how exactly Sugawara's world runs, he must have not known about Japan's true weakness.
I guess Sugawara is rather feel sorry for the king or maybe people in the Special Region to live in this harsh timeline in his mind, but kept his calm posture boldly in front of him.
I wonder what would that little female child from the episode 13 would think of that if she witness that kind of scene.

In a situation where surrounded by Empire solders outnumbered, Sugawara let Itami angry in his stead to punch Zorzal, Kuribayashi comforting Noriko untying the ropes and Tomita providing extra cloth behind Noriko.
Pina, the King, Zorzal, and the Empire soldiers and servants witness this and discussed about it in the Senate and yet Zorzal wonders why Pina sides with them.
Itami's superior even wondered if he would whether punish Itami or not about his "reckless" action commands, I was wondering the same thing actually.

To me im still not really sure however, it's like Sugawara's meaning of Nationalism is love for his country's people and not power of military's strength, but the power of love of the country's people that motivates the power, he believes in that kind of power.
True or false maybe this kind of Nationalism I should look up to, no matter which country it is.
Even though it may seems somehow hypocritical compared to real life, but the author and the editors knows most people would agree with action that Itami and company took in this episode in the castle, I agree too.

I rewatched the episode again, it is really the best part of this episode for me.
rladls717Jan 17, 2016 11:06 PM
Jan 18, 2016 12:01 AM

Oct 2008
Itami & Kuribayashi & the JSDF crew totally wrecked the brother of Pina & the Imperial Army! Damn so cool moves of Shino Kuribayashi! so lethal!
5/5!

Jan 18, 2016 1:02 AM
Jul 2018
That was an awesome episode, I’m actually surprised that bunny he was basically raping last time actually defended him, well whatever I'm glad he was beat up in front of her. What Itami was awesome, Kuribayashi going all out against him was amazingly satisfying to see as well and I can’t wait to see next time since it looks like Itami will tell Tuka that her dad is not around.
Jan 18, 2016 1:25 AM

Jul 2015
permission for open fire got me so hyped. why is the bunny warrior supporting him though :( it's good to see the empire getting absolutely destroyed every so often.
Jan 18, 2016 2:10 AM

Jan 2015
YES THE FUCKING BLONDE SHITHEAD GOT OWNED

I really don't like the way he treats those girls

When I saw the japanese girl I raged lol

Itami my man made the right choice and started the fight YES!

I'd freaking destroy the whole kingdom and beat the the shit out of the blonde fucker. Those girls deserve 1000% better treatement.

And yeah good episode overall, Pina looking nice as always.

BEST GIRL RORY NEEDS MORE SCREEN TIME!!
AhoNoGinJan 18, 2016 2:13 AM
Jan 18, 2016 3:07 AM

Dec 2014
Lol the went total badass in this episode
Jan 18, 2016 5:39 AM

Mar 2015
Takuan_Soho said:
Kuma said:

nationalism is fucking normal, you know why middles eastern and africa always in wars until now? that's because they lack of nationalism, so they are easy to provoke..
I have to disagree. Nationalism is a recent aberration, long before nationalism existed people were even more willing to hack their neighbor.
you mistranslated it with fascism. nationalism is just loving your country as it is and admit you are one of them. nationalism make you concerned about your country. you not see your nation is higher than anything else, but you have high priority of it.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 18, 2016 1:22 PM

Jun 2015
Bloody hell Kuribayashi is brutal asf, I find that kinda cute.. Im glad that scum got beat up. But he doesn't deserve that bunny girl..
Jan 18, 2016 2:02 PM

Dec 2009
Takuan_Soho said:
No, poverty is the norm. The only time poverty has been beaten has been because of the US and UK. 3000 years before either country existed the world was drowned in poverty, the only time nations have risen above subsistence for the majority of the population has been because of US or UK assistance. May I suggest that if you do not understand this reality that you perhaps should read more "neutral" history books?
Lol you need to study more history. There are countless civilizations that flourished with plenty for long periods of time. Actually, all of the major civilizations lived with plenty until they fell due to loss of resource (drought or w/e). For example: daily life for a Roman wouldn't have been hugely different from today, other than we have globalism and all kinds of tech.
ps: it's a fact most of these places lived quite well until the europeans started sticking their noses everywhere. there were also a number of civilizations and peoples wiped out by bringing european diseases to them.

Takuan_Soho said:
Bahahah! no it's not, even the native american tribes were more or less nationalist.

The medievals in this anime are treated like primitives and ignorants. This is demeaning, because the only times in history where civilizations went dead-beat without dying is when one of them went into it's dark ages, where there was massive backtracking and it was plagued with ignorance and control. Ancient Mesopotamia, ancient China, ancient Greece, Rome, these places invented many of the systems like proto-democracy an so on that we now improved on and use today.

I just wish they showed the other world people being more civilized.

Jan 18, 2016 2:08 PM
Oct 2012
Kuma said:
you mistranslated it with fascism. nationalism is just loving your country as it is and admit you are one of them. nationalism make you concerned about your country. you not see your nation is higher than anything else, but you have high priority of it.

Not confusing it. Nationalism, the identification of an individual with a nation usually, but not always, as a unified ethnicity, is a 19th century conception, thus relatively recent. And even then it was primarily a European movement with a couple of exceptions (Japan being the main one), until the early part of the 20th century. Before that most countries were either Clan based, Kingdoms (where loyalty was to an individual leader) or Empires (which were transnational in structure).

Communism was supposed to be a reaction to Nationalism (by being about an international workers movement), Fascism was a reaction to Communism (combining state economic control with explicit nationalism). The irony is that Communism ended up actually spreading Nationalism (this is sometimes called anti-colonialism), as the situation in China demonstrated (few people realize the Nationalists started out as a Soviet Client State, then declared their independence; the same thing happened 2 decades later with Mao The difference between the Nationalists and the Maoists is the difference only in the leaders personalities).

History is interesting stuff, particularly when unadulterated!
Takuan_SohoJan 18, 2016 2:12 PM
Jan 18, 2016 2:10 PM

Nov 2013
I'm finding this season to be a lot darker than the first season so far. :D
Jan 18, 2016 2:27 PM
Oct 2012
GenesisAria said:
It's a fact most of these places lived quite well until the europeans started sticking their noses everywhere. there were also a number of civilizations and peoples wiped out by bringing european diseases to them.

First, they were not "European diseases", they were old world diseases that were common throughout Asia, Africa, and Europe. Second, "living quite well" is a strange romantic myth. The vast majority of people were serfs or slaves. In Africa slavery was endemic throughout the region and into the Middle East over a 1,000 years before Europeans arrived. In East Asia the average peasant was in constant peril of starvation because the leaders took all the food; study the plight of an average peasant in Japan, Korea or China (or for that matter in the Roman Empire), they were not "good times".

GenesisAria said:
Bahahah! no it's not, even the native american tribes were more or less nationalist.

You should not confuse tribalism with nationalism. Words have meaning despite your not understanding them.

GenesisAria said:
it's dark ages, where there was massive backtracking and it was plagued with ignorance and control.

There never was a "dark age", that was invented by the people in the Renaissance/ Enlightenment to prove how wonderful they were. Did you know that witching burning started at the same time as the Renaissance, the idea that there were massive witch burnings in the "Dark Ages" was invented by a early 19th century French hack. Now yes, given constant invasions by the Germans, the Slavs, the Huns, the Moslems, and the Vikings, there were periods of time when authority was destroyed, however civilization itself advanced. Most of the essential inventions that started the modern age were invented during those "dark ages" (crop rotation, iron plows, yokes, etc).

GenesisAria said:
iAncient Mesopotamia, ancient China, ancient Greece, Rome, these places invented many of the systems like proto-democracy an so on that we now improved on and use today.

Outside of a handful of Greek cities, and a couple Italian cities that copied them, there had never been anything remotely similar to even proto-democracy in the world.

Ancient China has always been either an Empire or warring states, Japan as well. All three were totalitarian to the point where only a Hitler or Stalin could pass them. Mesopotmia were either Kingdoms or Empires, likewise with despotic control.

I really have to question what books you have ever read on ancient history. You sound like someone who has watched only the "History Channel", which I guess does prove the damage western culture can have on some people....
Jan 18, 2016 4:38 PM

Dec 2009
Takuan_Soho said:
First, they were not "European diseases", they were old world diseases that were common throughout Asia, Africa, and Europe.
Smallpox and other diseases decimated the Americas. Without those, the colonials most likely would have lost the war for the new world.

Takuan_Soho said:
Second, "living quite well" is a strange romantic myth. The vast majority of people were serfs or slaves. In Africa slavery was endemic throughout the region and into the Middle East over a 1,000 years before Europeans arrived. In East Asia the average peasant was in constant peril of starvation because the leaders took all the food; study the plight of an average peasant in Japan, Korea or China (or for that matter in the Roman Empire), they were not "good times".
Them living horribly is a pessimistic myth to romanticize the modern day. We act like these devices make us live better, they don't really. Modern working class are the same as peasants and slaves. We just get to chose who's slave we be, and we get payed in money instead of food to justify it an give the illusion of freedom.

Takuan_Soho said:
You should not confuse tribalism with nationalism. Words have meaning despite your not understanding them.
*Sigh* I actually have a study history in First Nations... Their tribes behaved more like miniature nations than tribes. They were very worldly and interacted on large scales, but they didn't gather into unified settlements.

Takuan_Soho said:
There never was a "dark age", that was invented by the people in the Renaissance/ Enlightenment to prove how wonderful they were. Did you know that witching burning started at the same time as the Renaissance, the idea that there were massive witch burnings in the "Dark Ages" was invented by a early 19th century French hack.
You really need to study more world history dude, and from multiple perspectives, not just a single nations influenced textbooks. It was called the dark ages because when the intellectual (scientific/philosophical/artistic high culture) movement died out in the middle east and shifted to Europe, they started to see how stagnant that time period had been. Thus titled it the dark ages, a period of no enlightenment (advancement or opposition to ignorance).

Takuan_Soho said:
Outside of a handful of Greek cities, and a couple Italian cities that copied them, there had never been anything remotely similar to even proto-democracy in the world.
Again, it's common knowledge that Romans were heavy contributors to the development of the democratic system, it's even on wikipedia, the knowledge is that mainstream. They're also the first significantly ethnically mixed civilization.

Takuan_Soho said:
Ancient China has always been either an Empire or warring states, Japan as well.
Just because there was feud between territories which acted like nations at the time, doesn't mean there wasn't high culture and civilized living.

Takuan_Soho said:
I really have to question what books you have ever read on ancient history. You sound like someone who has watched only the "History Channel", which I guess does prove the damage western culture can have on some people....
That's my line. What you speak of is the kind of stuff you see in highschool textbooks and the History channel. I remember that stuff, it's harshly misguided.

Whatever, i don't exist for the sake of convincing you of the truth. I merely express my distaste for typical hollywood unrealistic misrepresentation of past civilizations. I won't be responding anymore (ignorance is tiresome).
GenesisAriaJan 18, 2016 4:51 PM

Jan 18, 2016 5:41 PM

Mar 2015
Takuan_Soho said:
Kuma said:

Not confusing it. Nationalism, the identification of an individual with a nation usually, but not always, as a unified ethnicity, is a 19th century conception, thus relatively recent. And even then it was primarily a European movement with a couple of exceptions (Japan being the main one), until the early part of the 20th century. Before that most countries were either Clan based, Kingdoms (where loyalty was to an individual leader) or Empires (which were transnational in structure).

Communism was supposed to be a reaction to Nationalism (by being about an international workers movement), Fascism was a reaction to Communism (combining state economic control with explicit nationalism). The irony is that Communism ended up actually spreading Nationalism (this is sometimes called anti-colonialism), as the situation in China demonstrated (few people realize the Nationalists started out as a Soviet Client State, then declared their independence; the same thing happened 2 decades later with Mao The difference between the Nationalists and the Maoists is the difference only in the leaders personalities).

History is interesting stuff, particularly when unadulterated!

ehh, that's not what my history teacher said to me. communism/socialism is reaction to capitalism not nationalism. comumnism happened because the gap between the rich one and poor one that make poor one unsatisfied with this system. comunism starting as economical movement, but in the end, it united people which is lead political power unlike capitalism wich is individual centered.

funny enough that one used for anti-colonialism propaganda in my country in late imperial age is nationalism.

correct me if i am worng thou. we are the one that receive the whole ideology, we are not the one that make it.
Jan 18, 2016 5:50 PM
Oct 2012
GenesisAria said:
Smallpox and other diseases decimated the Americas. Without those, the colonials most likely would have lost the war for the new world.

Not true, the Spaniards defeated the Aztecs and Inca without much help from disease, and those were the two most advanced Native societies. Deaths from disease came later.

Much like Gate, "colonial" technology was too superior. Only at Little Big Horn did the Indians ever have greater firepower. But even more damaging for the Indians was their government, they were too divided, perpetually preying on each other, it made them easier to divide and conquer. The one telling exeption were the Iroquois Confederation.

GenesisAria said:
Them living horribly is a pessimistic myth to romanticize the modern day. We act like these devices make us live better, they don't really. Modern working class are the same as peasants and slaves. We just get to chose who's slave we be, and we get payed in money instead of food to justify it an give the illusion of freedom.

Now, you are switching your argument, before we were talking about specific regimes, and yes in those regimes life was miserable. You are now talking about the problems of materialism and commercialism. Different discussions, and the later is not appropriate for a thread about Gate.

But to return to your first argument. The romantic idealism of Rousseau and Melville never existed. Even on those supposed "tropical paradise", there idea of taboo completely restricted and controlled ever aspect of the islanders life. Yes, the Aztecs did kill 10,000 people in one day by cutting their hearts out. I suggest you read the excellent book "War Before Civilization".

GenesisAria said:
I actually have a study history in First Nations... Their tribes behaved more like miniature nations than tribes. They were very worldly and interacted on large scales, but they didn't gather into unified settlements.

I have to chuckle, when I wrote the above about the Iroquois I did not know that you had mentioned them below. So yes, I will grant you one exception. However, to be clear, even the Five Nations suffered from excessive tribalism and constant warfare. Again suggest "War Before Civilization", often denounced, never refuted.

GenesisAria said:
It was called the dark ages because when the intellectual (scientific/philosophical/artistic high culture) movement died out in the middle east and shifted to Europe, they started to see how stagnant that time period had been. Thus titled it the dark ages, a period of no enlightenment (advancement or opposition to ignorance).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages_%28historiography%29

For a good basic summary of why the term is a myth. Most scholarship of the past 40 years has rebuked your traditional narrative.

GenesisAria said:
Again, it's common knowledge that Romans were heavy contributors to the development of the democratic system,

Do not disagree, which is why I said "and some Italian cities that copied them".

GenesisAria said:
They're also the first significantly ethnically mixed civilization.

Not during the Republic, only during the Empire. And remember what I said above? Empires are transnational and because the ruler wants to rule multiple races, were the antithesis of "nationalism".

GenesisAria said:
Just because there was feud between territories which acted like nations at the time, doesn't mean there wasn't high culture and civilized living.

Please stop with the strawman arguments. Civilization can occur in any political structure (indeed one could argue that the more restrictive the government, the better the culture), our argument was about the lives of the vast majority of people. I have no issues praising non-western culture, it was often far superior to western culture. However if we are talking politics, then there is no comparison.

GenesisAria said:
Whatever, i don't exist for the sake of convincing you of the truth. I merely express my distaste for typical hollywood unrealistic misrepresentation of past civilizations. I won't be responding anymore (ignorance is tiresome).

I always like when the loser says "I won't respond anymore" because, well that is all a loser can do.

That said, I do agree with your critique of "Hollywood culture", had your argument began and ended there, I would have been in agreement.
Jan 18, 2016 6:14 PM
Oct 2012
Kuma said:
ehh, that's not what my history teacher said to me.

Never listen to a high school history teacher. They are either too rightist or leftist.

Kuma said:
communism/socialism is reaction to capitalism not nationalism.

Marx was the person who popularized the term "capitalism", so one really cannot say that Communism was a reaction to something that Communism defined. Capitalism really has no definition, it covers every possible economic system including most systems considered "socialistic". So "free market", "mercantilism", "State Capitalism", "State Socialism", "Mixed economy", "Corporatism", and myriad of other economic systems are all considered "capitalism" even though they are all very very different creatures.

To summarize (and admitting that any summary is too simplistic), Marx viewed nationalism as a class ploy by the elites to divide and conquer the workers; he likewise saw industrialization as a tool to isolate the working class (though Marx was smart enough to avoid the pitfall of "wage slavery" that many concurrent and later Marxist fell prey to). To counter both trends, Marx envisioned an international working class.

Communalism long predated either communism or "capitalism", it dates back to the origin of Judaism and Christianity (it is also prevalent in romanticized Japanese, Korean and Chinese histories, though this is modern wash and has little basis in historical reality).

The most important thing to understand about Communism is that Marx was a Hegelian. Hegel was a German philosopher who thought that history could be turned into a scientific discipline, and proposed that there were certain "forces" in history, if, understood, could make history as predictable as a planet's orbit. For Hegel this was culture, for Marx economics. Unfortunately for history, Marx (and Hegel) were completely wrong.

History is not science, there are no forces at play. As in all things related to humans, once humanity understands the idea, then humanity reacts against the idea. So when Marx wrote Das Capital, nothing he wrote in Das Capital could explain anything (this is different from the understanding that Marx completely whiffed on nearly everything in Das Capital - my Nobel winning essay on this subject is held up in committee discussions), because Humanity already incorporated the idea.
Jan 18, 2016 6:17 PM

Dec 2009
>Losing
>to some wannabe intellectual on the net
>lolwut?

(replied once more for the lulz)

Jan 18, 2016 6:23 PM
Oct 2012
GenesisAria said:
>Losing
>to some wannabe intellectual on the net
>lolwut?

(replied once more for the lulz)

Yep, you are a loser, a wannabe, and the lulz. Have the common decency to crawl back to the deep, dark, recess of the internet, where similar trolls are spawned
Takuan_SohoJan 18, 2016 6:30 PM
Jan 18, 2016 7:20 PM

Dec 2009
Gotta love ad hominem.

Apologies to other readers, for that back and forth. It really didn't need to happen. (unproductive convo is unproductive)

Edit: apologies for getting this guy started.
People should put that kind of mental energy into something actually productive.
GenesisAriaJan 18, 2016 7:47 PM

Jan 18, 2016 7:32 PM
Oct 2012
GenesisAria said:
Gotta love ad hominem.

Apologies to other readers, for that back and forth. It really didn't need to happen. (unproductive convo is unproductive)

LOL, if you had any self respect you would apologize for your based attempt to politicize this thread. Just crawl back under your rock troll.

That said, if you want to discuss history, fell free to bring it. I haven't even begun to draw up my rebuttal. One can only rise to the level of the competition, which in this case cannot be even measured in centimeters.
Jan 18, 2016 7:48 PM

Aug 2014
That was so fucking satisfying. Also, I'm really interested in what Tyuula's deal is.

5/5
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Jan 18, 2016 8:14 PM
Apr 2015
Seeing the damned prince beaten up by Kuribayashi in this episode really satisfying. It's shame not showing scene when she break his finger
Jan 18, 2016 8:21 PM

Jul 2015
Its feel so good when Kuribayashi punch that madafaka prince.
Jan 18, 2016 8:26 PM

Jan 2011
Jan 18, 2016 9:46 PM

Apr 2015
Nice Episode.
thanks to Pina by the way, SDF fine that girl and beat that prince.
Jan 19, 2016 1:10 AM

Mar 2015
Whoa... Kuribayashi just went on a slaughter... nice!

It seems next episode will be getting Tuka into Itami's harem lol. Since this episode seems to indicate that Pina have joined the circle of harem lol.

Jan 19, 2016 5:06 AM
Jul 2018
Cr7_vi_Britannia said:
Fucking best episode finally the son of a bitch got what she deserved.
a pity that the bunny girl slut did not took a beating too. This bunny girl deserves to be stoned or die, to stop being woman of trickster and heroin of Hentai-NTR.

I love me a bit of NTR, but I don't see where it plays a part with her.
Jan 19, 2016 6:29 AM

Jul 2011
Cr7_vi_Britannia said:
Sangaz said:

after both being abused, the bitches spend to like the abuse and the abuser, passing the defend him and staying with him, becoming sex slaves.

She has her reasons, you will see why on the next ep. If you really wish to spoil yourself to find out, read the manga haha.
NIM7Jan 19, 2016 6:37 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 19, 2016 6:38 AM

Jul 2008
This episode is just freaking good, wow that machinegun fight in the palace put those guys back in their place :D I actually think this season is a lot better than the last one. It was so satisfying to see the prince beaten up by a girl :)
Jan 19, 2016 6:55 AM
Jul 2018
Cr7_vi_Britannia said:
Sangaz said:

after both being abused, the bitches spend to like the abuse and the abuser, passing the defend him and staying with him, becoming sex slaves.

Aye, but that's not NTR, chief. Sorry to be a nitpicker but Netorare is when a woman cheats on her husband and goes on about how much better the other guy is in bed to her husband, whereupon he then breaks down in tears (usually also sporting a hard-on).

Even better when the woman starts off as a sweet and loving housewife btw.
Jan 19, 2016 10:27 AM
Jun 2014
This episode was not as good as the last tbh. i liked the reaction that the SDF gave when the earth quake happened but i think that was about it tbh.

I did not like the fact even though they showed the prince having a slave from japan, that they would just punch the prince and kill all the kings men in front of him strait away? To be fair i would not expect a prince in the middle ages to be any different, but you don't do that in front of the people you want a peace treaty with. a bit dumb.

Also i was expecting the prince to be better at fighting due to him being a prince and him having to be trained in fighting. Wanted the prince to win tbh.

other than that i liked the episode and series atm.
Jan 19, 2016 11:57 AM

Jun 2015
Nothing257 said:
I did not like the fact even though they showed the prince having a slave from japan, that they would just punch the prince and kill all the kings men in front of him strait away? To be fair i would not expect a prince in the middle ages to be any different, but you don't do that in front of the people you want a peace treaty with. a bit dumb.

When you are vastly technologically superior to the fucktards horrifically abusing your people after you've treated theirs with some dignity, then yeah, that's exactly what you do.

If I was in their position, I'd be tempted to just level the palace and move on versus negotiating with cavemen. It would take an absurd amount of self-control not to.
Jan 19, 2016 3:02 PM
Jun 2014
RealityRush said:
Nothing257 said:

When you are vastly technologically superior to the fucktards horrifically abusing your people after you've treated theirs with some dignity, then yeah, that's exactly what you do.

If I was in their position, I'd be tempted to just level the palace and move on versus negotiating with cavemen. It would take an absurd amount of self-control not to.

i agree, but they cannot say that even know they want to, everyone also knows that if this was real japan would have taken the world over by now. but we all know that is not going to happen, because at the moment everyone is all for peace and stuff when really the only good parts in this atm is when they either kill the other guy or when the other guy gets beaten up by a small Japanese lady. I mean i like small Japanese army ladies beating up the prince of a kingdom in front of him family as much as the next guy, but if they was going to go down the dark rape, slavery, torture route they should have also went down the route of all out war.

Love the show though.
Jan 20, 2016 6:45 AM

Nov 2014
Damn, the SDF were badass! A-1 delivered.
Jan 20, 2016 10:21 PM
Nov 2012
Next PV is up at the official site.

Incidentally, this coeur of episodes is officially numbered from 13. Up next, episode 15.
Jan 21, 2016 4:46 AM

Oct 2011
Why did the emperor just stood there unfazed while Itami and Zolzal were having a clash? Not to mention the execution of the tone shift was mediocre thus making it seem impulsive. The peace negotiations will just get complicated from now on because of that encounter.
Jan 21, 2016 10:09 AM

Nov 2013
Is I am fed up with MCs who are too kind to their enemies, I enjoyed watching this episodes. Itami doesn't fuck around.
You all need to watch Nami.

Jan 21, 2016 10:15 AM
Jun 2014
abystoma2 said:
Is I am fed up with MCs who are too kind to their enemies, I enjoyed watching this episodes. Itami doesn't fuck around.

Well the guy he was fighting was not a girl or anything so of course he wound, otherwise he would not have done much.
Jan 21, 2016 12:57 PM

Sep 2013
That bunny sexual abuse :O

These medieval guys need to go into mind warfare or something cause they have no chance head on XD
The real threat is gonna be the gods and apostles.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 19, 2016

136 by Jagermeister-kun »»
Mar 25, 3:18 AM

» Season 3? ( 1 2 )

AshAkinola - Mar 25, 2016

56 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Jan 18, 6:16 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2016

231 by Estefan »»
Jan 17, 7:42 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

333 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 6, 2023 7:14 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

190 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 6, 2023 6:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.