Forum Settings
Forums

Can you speak another language besides your native one?

New
Jan 8, 2016 11:29 PM

Dec 2015
Can you ???

As in you are a native English speaker , but you also are fluent in French and understand it , and so and so...

In my case , i can speak both Spanish and English , as well as understand it , with the former being my native language.

I'm not 100% perfect in my english but i would say im at least 79%.

I would also love to learn Italian and French .

Do you want to learn a different language?
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 8, 2016 11:31 PM

Jul 2013
I can speak English and Maltese :') .

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jan 8, 2016 11:35 PM

Aug 2015
I only speak English. Altough I wouldn't mind learning another language, I just don't see the point in all the effort.
Jan 8, 2016 11:36 PM
Aug 2014
English and German. I also speak a little french, since i had to take a class in school for 4 years i think. No grudge against french people but i absoletuley hate their language

Also i speak fluent Weeaboo
Jan 8, 2016 11:41 PM
Jul 2018
Yea. I can speak one other than my native one. I would like to learn a third language eventually. Maybe French or German.
Jan 8, 2016 11:45 PM

Sep 2015
Just my native i guess, the one that i can speak fluently. I am not really good in English to be honest neither at writing nor speaking. Still need huge improvements on grammar.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Jan 8, 2016 11:46 PM

Dec 2015
I can speak Korean, English and little bit of French...
Jan 8, 2016 11:46 PM
Jun 2015
My native language is Romanian, but I can speak English (not perfect) and understand Russian. I am also learning Italian and Japanese (weaboo)
Jan 8, 2016 11:49 PM

Apr 2014
Spanish. Just a crap ton of Spanish.

I probably know enough Japanese and French to communicate with their 3-year olds though if that counts for anything.
Jan 8, 2016 11:58 PM

Jul 2012
yeahhh, mandarin chinese! :P native language is english
Jan 8, 2016 11:59 PM
Apr 2015
Korean and English

I want to learn Japanese but I'm too lazy.
Jan 9, 2016 12:00 AM

Jun 2014
I took spanish for two years cuz it was required but I forgot all of it, so nope
Jan 9, 2016 12:01 AM

May 2013
i know some spanish. learning japanese, will update with progress
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Jan 9, 2016 12:04 AM

Jul 2015
English and Spanish. I want to learn German.
Jan 9, 2016 12:06 AM

Oct 2013
If I didn't I wouldn't be typing this post
Jan 9, 2016 12:53 AM
Oct 2015
Native language is English and second language is Japanese. I can't really write in Japanese but I use it to communicate with my mom since she isn't good at speaking English.

I do want to learn Mandarin since it's a really important language for business.
Jan 9, 2016 12:54 AM

Apr 2015
English and Swiss German. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Jan 9, 2016 1:10 AM

Mar 2008
Not yet. I am trying to work on it but its hard when youre not a little kid immersed in it and have little drive.

I'm currently learning Eastern Norwegian ( bokmål), German, and French

I could not get into Spanish much so its off to the side for now. I also was learning Irish but put it to the side for now in case I may prefer to learn Scottish Gaelic instead.

I will give Russian a try some time but I need to learn the alphabet first. I will try out Welsh before I get frustrated as fuck at the shortage of vowels. Also considering trying out Swahili but I wont have much use for it so I dont plan on fluency.
Jan 9, 2016 1:12 AM
Jun 2013
Native Language = Koshur
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashmiri_language

Other languages I can speak

01 Hindi
02 English
Jan 9, 2016 1:19 AM

May 2015
Yeah, a few that I have to use irl fairly often+ a few I've been taught in school (not fluent, though).
EminemJan 9, 2016 3:20 AM
Jan 9, 2016 1:20 AM
Jun 2013
Which Indo European Language do U Speak ?

Jan 9, 2016 1:21 AM

Jul 2014
I don't even speak a native language

I dont talk

What are you saying
Jan 9, 2016 1:24 AM

Jul 2015
I can speak my native language and English. Not the best English speaker though :P
Jan 9, 2016 1:25 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I feel for sad for anyone above the age of 12 who doesn't have at least a decent understanding of English in this day and age..
Jan 9, 2016 1:39 AM

Feb 2014
English and some Mandarin.
----------------------
Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons.
It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.
-Walt Whitman

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jan 9, 2016 1:41 AM

Oct 2014
I speak English as my native language. In school I studied French for five years, I spent a total of seven months in Spanish speaking countries and learned Spanish there, and I have learned some Japanese from anime. Of my three second languages I know Spanish the best by far, French the second best, and Japanese the third best although I may be better at it than French sometime (my French is pretty bad). From these statistics I conclude that learning a language in school isn't very efficient.
Jan 9, 2016 3:11 AM

Nov 2013
Swedish, English, a little bit of german, and a little bit of japanese.

Swedish is my native language, english my second, german my third (but I studied it in school around 3 years ago, so I've forgotten a lot) and japanese my fourth - been studying that for 2 years now.
Jan 9, 2016 3:13 AM
Aug 2014
AiQ said:
Swedish, English, a little bit of german, and a little bit of japanese.

Swedish is my native language, english my second, german my third (but I studied it in school around 3 years ago, so I've forgotten a lot) and japanese my fourth - been studying that for 2 years now.

Guten Tag, wie geht es dir heute? Hast du heute schon deine SCHWEINSHAXEN gegessen und deinen PANZERKAMPFWAGEN geölt?
Jan 9, 2016 3:18 AM

Nov 2011
I can speak English and Weaboos. I think in English instead of my native language before I even realized it.

Jan 9, 2016 3:34 AM

May 2008
My native language is English and I'm semi-fluent in Japanese. I taught myself because I'm a huge fucking weeaboo. 後悔なし。
Jan 9, 2016 3:37 AM

Aug 2015
My native language are indonesian, but my local language is sundanese.. so i often mixed them up when speaking XD (almost everyone here do that imo).. it's not that perfect but i can speak english and also understand it and most of it i learned it myself.. i also can speak japanese, understand it and read it but only for beginner one and i can only read japanese if it is written in hiragana because i learn it in my school

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Jan 9, 2016 3:40 AM

Mar 2015
My native language is English and weeabooneese.
I can understand my mother tongue, but I don't speak it very well.
ViburnumJan 9, 2016 3:48 AM
Jan 9, 2016 3:47 AM

Oct 2015
Besides my native language I can speak English and German.

Sieg Heil. <3
Jan 9, 2016 3:50 AM

Oct 2015
ashishkaull said:
Which Indo European Language do U Speak ?

Slavic languages are top master stuff <3
Jan 9, 2016 3:55 AM

Aug 2012
Yes, My native language is Arabic, I know English and some French here and there.
Jan 9, 2016 3:56 AM

Feb 2013
Im a spanish native speaker and well as you know I know English.

Jan 9, 2016 3:57 AM

May 2015
YorKeY said:
Only English and Spanish, but if I were to learn a third language, it would be Chinese without a doubt. Chinese will be the most useful language next to English in 20 years, according to statistics and common sense. Trade, communication, and all those other platforms will involve the big 3, English, Spanish, and Chinese.

Chinese people should learn English instead.
Jan 9, 2016 4:07 AM

Mar 2014
First of all, I do not only have one native tongue, I actually have TWO native tongues, Swedish and French, so I am a very special snowflake (bilingualism FUCK YEAH)

I also speak English, a little bit of Italian and a tiny bit of Japanese (I'm still a beginner though)

I am going to start learning either Russian or Indonesian as soon as I've reached a certain level of Japanese knowledge
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 9, 2016 4:12 AM

Sep 2015
Comic_Sans said:
I am going to start learning either Russian or Indonesian as soon as I've reached a certain level of Japanese knowledge
Why Indonesian if i may ask? Are there any particular reasons why you pick those languages (esp Indonesian) to learn next? I am just curious
I'd actually like to ask this on your interview thread but i cant cuz i am not member.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Jan 9, 2016 4:13 AM

May 2008
ashishkaull said:
Native Language = Koshur

01 Hindi
02 English

This is probably a very stupid question, but is it similar to Hindi in any way? I have no knowledge of Indian languages, and some of the scripts look somewhat similar, but that could just be me being ignorant about it all. I understand they're all separate languages, but I'm interested to know if there's any overlap.

Meira_Eve said:
My native language are indonesian, but my local language is sundanese.. so i often mixed them up when speaking XD (almost everyone here do that imo).. it's not that perfect but i can speak english and also understand it and most of it i learned it myself.. i also can speak japanese, understand it and read it but only for beginner one and i can only read japanese if it is written in hiragana because i learn it in my school

Is the Sundanese script still used, or do people just write in Latin now, like Indonesian?

Languages are really interesting and I have a lot of questions because I am a huge nerd, sorry for sounding ignorant RIP.
Jan 9, 2016 4:15 AM
Jul 2018
I can speak English with a very good phonetics.
But my knowledge of English is very limited.
Jan 9, 2016 4:19 AM
Mar 2013
I can speak English and French well and I can speak other languages but not as well

My native language is technically Welsh which makes me the special-est snowflake in this thread, but since there aren't too many native speakers my ability has declined. My english is probably better.
Jan 9, 2016 4:22 AM
Jul 2018
Primary: Polish (fluent)
Secondary: English, Spanish (fluent)
Tertiary: French, Japanese (learning)
Jan 9, 2016 4:31 AM

Mar 2014
UpperCat said:
Comic_Sans said:
Why Indonesian if i may ask? Are there any particular reasons why you pick those languages (esp Indonesian) to learn next? I am just curious
I'd actually like to ask this on your interview thread but i cant cuz i am not member.
Japanese:
– Interesting culture
– The grammar is very different, and I'm always up for new linguistic challenges
– Good business language
– I'm interested in learning more about the Japanese society, hierchal structures etc

Russian:
– Beautiful language
– Rich culture
– The history of Russia is very interesting
– If I learn Russian I'll be able to understand other Slavic languages too

Indonesian:
– Good for travelling
– Cool culture
– Great food
– Easy to learn
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 9, 2016 4:47 AM
Jun 2013
Zazie122 said:
ashishkaull said:
Native Language = Koshur

01 Hindi
02 English

This is probably a very stupid question, but is it similar to Hindi in any way? I have no knowledge of Indian languages, and some of the scripts look somewhat similar, but that could just be me being ignorant about it all. I understand they're all separate languages, but I'm interested to know if there's any overlap.

Meira_Eve said:

Is the Sundanese script still used, or do people just write in Latin now, like Indonesian?

Languages are really interesting and I have a lot of questions because I am a huge nerd, sorry for sounding ignorant RIP.

Which language might be similar to Hindi ??( as U haven't mentioned the other language )
Few Scripts are similar . After all , Indo Aryan languages have come from Sanskrit .
Jan 9, 2016 4:56 AM

Sep 2014
In addition to my native language, I speak English (obviously). I understand German as well, but have a hard time wording myself when trying to use it. I can also speak some Swedish, and I'm picking up more and more Japanese words and phrases.
Jan 9, 2016 5:06 AM

Jul 2015
I'm bilingual and a half (English, Spanish, Italian)
Jan 9, 2016 5:06 AM

Sep 2015
Comic_Sans said:

--
Ah, i see. So basically just for kicks right? xD
I thought that you learn all of those languages cause you are planning to be interpreter or a kind of job that requires you to master them something like that.
Yea, i heard and watched on tv too that indonesian is quite easy to learn for foreigner, but not the opposite thing. I am indonesian but just learn english is really pain in the ass for me.
I have no idea how someone could manage to learn many languages that really different from their mother tongue.

Jan 9, 2016 5:09 AM

Mar 2014
UpperCat said:
Comic_Sans said:

--
Ah, i see. So basically just for kicks right? xD
I thought that you learn all of those languages cause you are planning to be interpreter or a kind of job that requires you to master them something like that.
Yea, i heard and watched on tv too that indonesian is quite easy to learn for foreigner, but not the opposite thing. I am indonesian but just learn english is really pain in the ass for me.
I have no idea how someone could manage to learn many languages that really different from their mother tongue.
Well, one of my dream jobs is to become a translator or an interpreter, so there's that too
Nico- said:
Jan 9, 2016 5:13 AM

Aug 2012
My native language is Spanish and my second language is English. But I know English more than Spanish because I had to repeat a year in first grade for not knowing much English. And from then on, I've been to English only classes instead of bilingual. I'm actually ashamed for not being 100% fluent in Spanish. Makes me feel distant from my family and culture.

I want to learn many languages, especially Italian and Japanese.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Hottest non Hollywood actor on YouTube?

scarydragon - 3 hours ago

3 by LoveYourEyes »»
2 hours ago

» What sort of education did you get? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 23, 2019

50 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago

» whats your shoe size ?

sussybakagirl420 - Mar 22

28 by elgatosaika »»
2 hours ago

» Who is the most perverted person you irl ?

Thy-Veseveia - Apr 26

10 by MalchikRepaid »»
2 hours ago

» Does knowing how MAL user looks like change how you see/treat them?

barababas - 3 hours ago

6 by elgatosaika »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.