Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Dec 27, 2015 5:06 PM

Apr 2015
I quite enjoyed this show overall; it`s definitely one of my favourites of the season (and the year).

The characters seemed much more complex and interesting than in a typical anime.
Dec 28, 2015 7:55 AM

Jul 2007
Tomislavr7 said:
This is a fine representative of the mystery genre. It wasn't anything outstanding, but it kept me interested and made sense. I also liked the production.

You mean except for the fact that it did not adhere to the genre rules at all and the actual "mystery" was a contrived asspully bullshit.
Dec 28, 2015 8:13 AM

May 2012
Fai said:
Tomislavr7 said:
This is a fine representative of the mystery genre. It wasn't anything outstanding, but it kept me interested and made sense. I also liked the production.

You mean except for the fact that it did not adhere to the genre rules at all and the actual "mystery" was a contrived asspully bullshit.

You mean everything becomes F hexadecimal stuff being used for the culprits escape? The rules shouldn't be followed all the time... They limit storytelling quite a bit which is why they're mostly used for the soft boiled subgenre.
Dec 28, 2015 8:23 AM

Oct 2008
This should have been a much longer series with a Carmen Sandiego-esque element to it where they try to pursue the antagonist (Magata), trough various locations and scenarios, but cant catch her because of her intelligence and wits.

Anyway the entire mystery should have been resolved in like half the series tops,the dynamics between the 2 main characters was actually pretty good and the overall tone was interesting and consistent as well,only resorting to having very minor jokes whenever it required to.
Dec 28, 2015 8:41 AM

May 2012
amateur said:
This should have been a much longer series with a Carmen Sandiego-esque element to it where they try to pursue the antagonist (Magata), trough various locations and scenarios, but cant catch her because of her intelligence and wits.

Anyway the entire mystery should have been resolved in like half the series tops,the dynamics between the 2 main characters was actually pretty good and the overall tone was interesting and consistent as well,only resorting to having very minor jokes whenever it required to.

There already is a series like that in anime and written much better also. Monster that is.
Dec 28, 2015 9:17 AM

Dec 2007
I saw this in one night... i love it. i guess you have to have an open mind to fully appreciate the complexity of the characters also the philosofical side of the anime. but i thought it was pretty good. none os this season anime had caught my eye yet, with this i can at least say there was one anime i liked
Dec 28, 2015 11:34 PM

Jul 2015
Faylicia said:
I really don't understand the logic of Magata-sensei. I just think she's crazy. What did she want to be free from? I can understand why she killed her parents but I don't understand why her uncle/lover and she herself had to be killed... I don't understand anything. Also does Saikawa-sensei want to be like her or does he not? I mostly relate to Nishinosono because come on, nothing makes sense. Magata-sensei doesn't make sense she just seems evil she is not pure at all... I don't know maybe they mean freedom from any rules? like "you mustn't kill" free from love free from hate... but was she really like that? I don't know I don't understand it, can someone explain please?
Overall kind of disappointed by these series to be honest. I expected more.

The majority of those questions were all answered. Be disappointed in yourself, not the series.
Dec 29, 2015 4:47 AM

Jul 2007
k11chi said:
Fai said:

You mean everything becomes F hexadecimal stuff being used for the culprits escape? The rules shouldn't be followed all the time... They limit storytelling quite a bit which is why they're mostly used for the soft boiled subgenre.

If one is willing to break the rules, one has to actually have the writing chops to make it work.

Whoever wrote is clearly did NOT have writing chops to make it work. Hence it all descending into completely pretentious, poorly written mess with no coherence or redeeming qualities.
Dec 29, 2015 5:45 AM

May 2012
Fai said:
k11chi said:

If one is willing to break the rules, one has to actually have the writing chops to make it work.

Whoever wrote is clearly did NOT have writing chops to make it work. Hence it all descending into completely pretentious, poorly written mess with no coherence or redeeming qualities.

Well I can see what the author wanted to do here.
It's a Very basic setting and idea for the case, but they decided to try to come up with a completely original trick for the locked room trick itself.
Dec 29, 2015 11:01 AM

Jan 2013
The biggest fucking twist was Gidou being Saikawa's sister.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Dec 29, 2015 4:11 PM

Nov 2014
Idk what to think about this anime. It was engaging, looked nice and characters weren't that bad, but at the same time it was too short and all the philosophical stuff felt forced.

FatalGaze said:
One other thing that I didn't understand is that why are they referring to her as doctor when she is a computer programmer? Doesn't make sense.

Possibly because of science degree (PhD)?
Dec 30, 2015 2:54 PM

Mar 2012
So the psychopath who seduced her uncle at the age of 13, manipulated him to help murder her parents, tried to manipulate her daughter to kill her but since that failed proceeded to chop of her dead daughter's limbs to help her escape and murder the uncle is still on the loose. Fantastic.

The thing I disliked most about the show was how bland these characters were. Moe was just a brat that was obsessed with trying to have Saikawa notice her and Saikawa just had a somewhat controversial way of looking at things going for him. Besides solving the mystery, he was basically there to make Magata's actions and reasoning seem less irrational to the audience when any sane person would see that she's just a calculative murderer in sheep's clothing. Besides those 3, the rest of the cast is pretty forgettable.

The mystery itself wasn't bad but the characters just made it into a boring experience for me. That and Saikawa's long philosophical talks which I didn't agree with didn't really help.
Jan 3, 2016 4:30 AM

Sep 2010
Pretentious shit of the season...

Finale - 2.5/5
Series - 6/10
Jan 3, 2016 5:53 PM

Aug 2014
To me, this was seriously the most unappreciated anime of the season.

Jan 4, 2016 12:24 PM

Jan 2011
"police"
11/10

Some of the stuff felt a bit uguu-ish though.
Have not much else to say that hasn't been said already.

mmm
9/10
(・へ・)
loliowoJan 4, 2016 12:25 PM
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jan 5, 2016 4:37 AM

Feb 2013
Fuck this was a good show. Great mystery, cool story, animation was great.....just wonderful.

9/10

One of the best of the season by far.
Jan 5, 2016 11:38 AM

Feb 2014
Nice seeing Magata free. I actually liked her just one bit at that point.
Jan 6, 2016 12:22 PM
Sep 2013
This one looks mediocre, when it comes to plot, and the sidekick is quite annoying. Still slightly better than the Sakurako anime (which is quite similar and airs in the same season) though.

6.75/10
Jan 9, 2016 6:53 PM

Oct 2008
Even the ending is weird!
You really can't understand the minds of psychological geniuses!
4/5.
7/10.

Jan 10, 2016 10:36 PM

Jun 2010
Been awhile since I have watch a mystery anime that doesn't spoon feed to the story like a child. This show keep me guessing right up to the end.
Jan 11, 2016 12:37 AM

Jul 2011

This. It's a shame, really. I had high expectations for this too. :/

Though I did like the last episode, with the bodyguard trick and probably the biggest reveal about Moe (her reason for change in behavior).
Jan 12, 2016 8:14 AM

Aug 2014
The scene between Magata and her daughter was the best part of this episode. Beautiful done!
Jan 15, 2016 4:04 PM

Apr 2011
The premise and first three episodes were so interesting... it's a shame that this ended up being so over the top negative and pretentious. Dr Magata was nothing more than a psychopathic child, who manipulated her crazy uncle and then murdered her parents... (the fact that Saikawa said their love came 'naturally' is insane.)
None of the characters were sympathetic, I kept waiting for SOMEONE besides Moe to point out how fucked up Dr Magata was and instead, we were shown how 'mysterious' and 'intelligent' she is! (Wtf?)
(Oh, and the way Magata kept 'enlightening' others was gross, I hate pretentious bullshit that props up vast negativity.)
Also, I wonder if that poor child of hers, really wanted to die? Considering this show didn't shame incest (wtf. again.), I don't see why the poor thing had to die. I wish she HAD killed her mother, the witch deserved death.

The only reason I kept watching this show was because the first part was so interesting, it just COULDN'T end that badly, right? (Wrong.)

The music was amazing, and animation was great. But sadly, that's the only positive thing about this series. 4/10
AngelicTotoroMar 3, 2018 8:24 PM
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Jan 16, 2016 12:42 AM

Feb 2010
Biggest twist in the show, the sister.

Jan 16, 2016 11:20 AM

Apr 2014
It went retard in the end, but still was better than many series of the season. 4/10
Jan 18, 2016 1:15 AM

Jun 2011
Shiki is one brilliant motherfucker! Not to say she is completely right in the mind though, going by today's social standard.

nihikun said:
Existentialism (and nihilism) at its finest. Magata was probably a bit schizo since she was talking to dead people. She was able to predict their exact answers (imo) though due to her high intelligence.
She killed her parents in order to grant freedom to her uncle which he refused. Until, 15 years later, he accepted Shiki's version of freedom, similar thing with her daughter. In her mind even the fact that you must be alive compromises your freedom, which in an extreme way of thinking is right.
It pleases me to see that the series left people both satisfied and unsatisfied. It wasn't just a mystery anime, it had A LOT food for thought and in a sence you are free to decide if it was right or wrong, proving to everyone that right and wrong are abstract concepts determined only by each individual.
In her mind even the fact that you must be alive compromises your freedom
I haven't thought of this. In theory, this statement in a way is true. I still don't quite understand why did she kill her uncle though. Why now, but not back then?

The mystery aspect of this show is great, I really liked how they spent the entire cour dedicated to this one particular mystery, instead of doing many half-assed episodic cases. My problem with the show has to be the characters, both Moe and sensei (don't remember his name LOL) are so bland as an individual, and their conversation often include some nonsensical pseudo intellectual/philosophical dialogues, which the meanings quite often escape me (lmao just call me an idiot). A series shouldn't be made complicated for no reason at all.

Definitely much better than Sakurako-san which is barely a qualified mystery show, if at all.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jan 18, 2016 7:05 AM
Apr 2012
private_eye said:
I don't really understand that last scene, can some one enlighten me?

Magata Shiki tells her daughter to never stop looking for answers, even whenever there's nobody to provide them, as she can look for them in herself.

Her daughter and the director then join Shiki's other 'personalities', having lost their bodies (or containers, as Shiki refers to them).
Jan 18, 2016 10:39 AM

Oct 2010
This was by far the best episode of the show. They wrapped everything nicely, and what an ending. Adding the dauthger and uncle to her personalities was to be expected but the presentation was amazing. There was still a lot of dialog but the pace was spot on.

It's such a pitty that while the last couple of episode are pretty good (so rare nowadays) the rest of show lacks so much.
huh?
Jan 18, 2016 11:05 AM

Jun 2008
Hm.

That's all I can say really..
HEY!
Jan 21, 2016 6:34 AM

Aug 2009
It was such a mystery that the only way to make sense of it all was an illogical psychotic twist of an ending.
Why couldn't she had just run away with her uncle and start a family in some remote country village and be free and happy?!
Instead, she had her uncle kill her parents, took the blame for it, and locked herself in some high tech facility and hatched a plan which involves killing her secret daughter(originally herself) and her uncle/lover in fifteen years for some twisted sense of freedom. What a genius!
I'm sorry. I guess killing the parents in order to elope with the uncle just doesn't cut it for me to start with.

I was also under the impression that she locked her self up on her own free will and she was free to leave at any time. I mean even if she wasn't free to leave, given the programming genius that she is, Magata could have written/ hacked the security system so that it seemed she was still in her room but had actually escaped with her daughter... 8 years ago! No one would have known since nobody entered her room and she could had easily created a robot that mimics her voice.

Great mystery/suspense. Face palm logic. WTF conclusion.

TLDR: That bitch be crazy!
Feb 4, 2016 9:59 PM
Jan 2015
toneytigre said:
It was such a mystery that the only way to make sense of it all was an illogical psychotic twist of an ending.
Why couldn't she had just run away with her uncle and start a family in some remote country village and be free and happy?!
Instead, she had her uncle kill her parents, took the blame for it, and locked herself in some high tech facility and hatched a plan which involves killing her secret daughter(originally herself) and her uncle/lover in fifteen years for some twisted sense of freedom. What a genius!
I'm sorry. I guess killing the parents in order to elope with the uncle just doesn't cut it for me to start with.

I was also under the impression that she locked her self up on her own free will and she was free to leave at any time. I mean even if she wasn't free to leave, given the programming genius that she is, Magata could have written/ hacked the security system so that it seemed she was still in her room but had actually escaped with her daughter... 8 years ago! No one would have known since nobody entered her room and she could had easily created a robot that mimics her voice.

Great mystery/suspense. Face palm logic. WTF conclusion.

TLDR: That bitch be crazy!

I agree :)

"you cant smoke underwater" amazing sentence accoding to Shiki
I loled so hard
Feb 16, 2016 6:08 PM

Aug 2015
Pretty interesting show overall. Had some good/bad moments. This episode was nice I'll say. Kind of hate Sensei's way with Moe. Like how he acts towards her. Other than that episode was good.
So many boobs in fairy tail, it's crazy.
Feb 24, 2016 7:54 AM

Jan 2014
Loved this, literally spent the last few episodes smiling in front of my screen. I thought it was really good, and it may sound weird, but it felt really upbeat to me. I think though, that in order to appreciate the characters, and consequently the show, you have to think like or along with Sensei and Magata. You have to accept that humanity is a construct and one that never applied to Magata to begin with. Of course with her morality she doesn't fit in with our society, but she never claimed to.

9/10 though the only reason it's not a 10/10 is because it would have to beat several other shows I've seen.

DawnJ said:
The biggest fucking twist was Gidou being Saikawa's sister.

Saw that coming from a mile away to be honest.

AP_974 said:
"you cant smoke underwater" amazing sentence accoding to Shiki
I loled so hard

It's amazing for several reasons: first of all it made no sense in itself, so Shiki could not predict it, secondly it was Sensei's answer to why he wanted to smoke. He wanted to smoke simply because he couldn't (even though that was probably false, because he was not really underwater). That expressed a very strong desire for freedom, earning Shiki's approval.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Mar 10, 2016 8:39 PM

Apr 2009
How is shit like Boku dake ga Inai Machi in the top 10, and this anime have a <8 score?

EDIT: reading the comments is funny.
This anime isn't a "open your mouth and let the milk flow in"

You need to think a little. Even the main characters encoureged the viewer to do it! They gave hints to understand the culprit.

There were a lot of great metaphors and phylosophy that let me think about existence and things.

Even thought we want to be free, but we don't want to pay with our 'smocking' - our habits, emotions, things we are used yo. That's our paradox as a thinking animal\thing\being\group of atoms. We have 2 contradicting things, a mind that wants unlimited possibilities, and a body that limits it. And one can't live without the other, yet they are complete opposites.
VirtueHunterMar 10, 2016 9:13 PM
Mar 20, 2016 1:05 AM

Aug 2011
The two first and two last episode was pretty interesting and fun but honestly, have way through the series, I was seriously questioning the length of the show and wanted it to pick up the pace as I found the it boring at times but I must say, I'm glad I continued till the end. For those 2 last episodes.
Mar 27, 2016 7:07 AM
Apr 2013
Really liked the ending and this show. Amongst the best mystery animes iv seen. Was so excited that I reviewed the anime too. Check it out : http://myanimelist.net/profile/thev_darkness/reviews
Apr 6, 2016 1:06 PM

Jan 2014
I loved it... I really loved everything about this. That's all I have to say ~
May 5, 2016 10:33 AM

Oct 2007
shitty, illogical anime

the entire time there is merely the pretense that any of these characters are geniuses ...

author tried to grasp something that is far beyond him and failed miserably due to his limited capacity

1/10 absolute and utter garbage anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 6, 2016 10:31 AM
Aug 2013
Very solid mystery anime, really enjoyed watching this and glad i got the experience. :')

Loved the characters, especially the dynamic and interactions between Saikawa and Moe was intriguing.
May 7, 2016 12:25 PM

Jun 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this series.

On the one hand, the detective part was quite well developed and it had a lot of suspense and twists, although sometimes the pace was a little too slow.

On the other hand, I found the philosophical dialogues rather interesting (mostly focused on the anthropological dualism theory and existentialism), not pretentious at all.

Magata Shiki's morals or ethics are completely abnormal in my opinion, but she has the right to think whatever she wants. However, her actions are absolutely unjustifiable even though Saikawa Souhei tries somewhat to justify them.

A good anime overall. 7,5/10
SisslithMay 7, 2016 12:29 PM
Rely on nothing under heaven
May 15, 2016 7:38 AM

Mar 2010
Im confused as fuck s might have to rewatch this to fully comprehend

8/10
May 18, 2016 5:49 AM

Nov 2012
Pretty decent mystery anime. Plan to read more about the last part of this episode and more about Magata Shiki in wikia but alas, it seems there isn't one.
Jun 4, 2016 10:57 PM
Dec 2014
The only conclusion I could think of about how Dr. Magata's daughter is alive: she gave birth to twins.
Jun 9, 2016 4:06 AM

Jan 2012
could have been done as a movie or 3 OVA eps instead

not too bad but not good either

6.5/10
Jun 30, 2016 6:55 AM

Nov 2011
After pausing for the anime series all this time, just to better understand its meaning, I find myself rather in not having understood anything yet, how sad!
I have proof under your nose, but do not know how to interpret it, that anger!
Only consolation is that at least the two main characters have found a point of agreement. However, it is a measly this anime series, for what concerns me. Only character to have me involved, is the Magata professor.

For now, my vote is 7/10.
Aug 22, 2016 11:43 AM
Jul 2018
Well, that was a nice episode to wrap things up.
Liked Saikawa and Moe's final talk and the way their relationship became stronger.
Also, it was interesting how Magata still got away in the end. Sakawa laughing was funny ahah.
Last scene was cool, some insightfull shit right there, either I agree with it or not.
Overall, nice anime. Liked the mystery and the drama.
Aug 24, 2016 3:34 PM

Mar 2012
I think it's underappreciated. Definitely some useless characters, Moe for likely the biggest example of the year....the show never became too dull or stale though. Crying pretentious is an easy accusation to fling around with the psychological genre, and the anime did well tying back it's logic with dialogue. Although i think it could have been done better in smaller, yet more numerous moments instead of one long ass 5-7 minute conversation of the same dialogue.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Oct 11, 2016 9:04 AM

Nov 2015
Nice show and some thoughtful conversations. :)
Nov 10, 2016 4:49 PM

Dec 2015
Very nice anime. It was just a little confusing.
I ship @Cewkie and @DarkZeroCalibur
Mar 8, 2017 12:36 AM

Jun 2016
When Saikawa Sensei Laugh... I know the resemblance.. about Dr. Shiki's disappearance...

You tricky... Doctor... So Far You win in the End...

Also The Ending is her Daughter Michiru... in Shiki's mind

After the Death of their Uncle I have a huge... flaws about the symbolism charismatic.. situation... about multiple Personality Disorder...

Best Shocking Twist Ending Ever... I want more of this....

11/10

Better than Ranpo Kitan actually..
HikiNEET021Mar 8, 2017 12:40 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 8, 2015

278 by wildhood »»
Mar 8, 8:29 PM

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 10, 2015

175 by 0arche »»
Jan 10, 9:11 AM

» For anyone who want to know why shiki escaped the island and her story in light novel

Baoyeuconpo9999 - Mar 10, 2023

3 by Thewatcher_22 »»
Mar 11, 2023 8:59 AM

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2015

172 by Floral_soap »»
Jan 14, 2023 11:06 PM

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2015

184 by Floral_soap »»
Jan 14, 2023 9:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.