Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 2, 2015 2:10 PM

May 2014
Shiroharu said:
yuliyana29 said:

The same thought cross my mind while watching those scenes. I'm ok with the manservice; but this probably pleases them. After all, that's why they're watching this series for.

I seriously feel offended by this because well I do enjoy manservice but I havent paid that much attention to it in Young Black Jack. It doesnt interest me that much in this show and this also goes for the boys love. Of course I can's speak for everyone but I dont think that fujoshis are watching it bc of that.
I can watch this show and enjoy it even without thinking thats BL

Sorry if that sounds too angry but I think that this is unjustified :/

I agree with this.

You can just state your opinion on the matter, you don't have to generalize and talk about some type of people that you don't know about.

Everyone has their own way of enjoying things.

Anyhow, I like the addition of this new doctor, he has a fun personality and it seems like Hazama finally has a rival (Kinda).
The torture scenes were painful to watch..

Nov 3, 2015 3:47 AM

Mar 2013
moeanao said:
I barely even notice the manservice you guys are talking about. Aren't you just oversensitive or something?

And why do so many people here think it's wrong to torture women but not men? Do you think women suffer more than men when they are being tortured or something? And in this, the woman didn't even get tortured much as it was interrupted while Hazama even passed out from the torture he received. Isn't it Hazama you should feel sorry for?

That's because there's a history of men inflicting violence against women en masse. Especially with a show with such a high female fanbase, seeing women being abused by men can really hit home because it's an ENORMOUS problem in all societies. I'm sure more than one person in this thread has seen/suffered it first hand. It's really people brushing it off like this when they see it that's making people think hitting their female family members/lovers/even strangers is ok too. It's not. You should be outraged and make a fuss, it'll make a difference.

Plus, seeing a group of men torturing a defenseless woman who's only established as a translator, as opposed to a guy that's pretty ripped (that we've seen getting chained up in almost every episode so far anyway) or a bunch of soldiers? Yeah, that's way different.
Nov 3, 2015 4:12 AM

Mar 2013
Bibimbapski said:
Shiroharu said:

Thank you. I saw it that way too thats why I was saying I havent paid that much attention to it because it fitted the situation and didnt seem as manservice for me.
But anyhow I enjoyed the episode because it was so intense

This. I'm bisexual and have been with both men and women intimately and I have not found a single moment in Young Black Jack arousing or hot at all.

I don't enjoy yaoi that much, I prefer yuri but there are some yaoi series that I've enjoyed in the past. Still, as I watch YBJ, contrary to popular and stupid belief I'm not shipping Hazama with any of the other shirtless men in the series just because they're fucking shirtless.

These insecure boys in MAL bitching about the "manservice" (who coined that retarded word anyway?) are overreacting. It's a FUCKING WAR, dipshits. You expect everyone to be clothed 24/7? Would these idiots complain if it was a girl who was topless and beaten? Nope, because that would've been acceptable to see tits and ass on a girl but they immediately cry tears of blood whenever a guy is shirtless.

If we're going by this logic then DRAGON BALL Z's, ONE PIECE's and BLEACH's shirtless scenes were all made "simply to satisfy fujoshis," right? Ugh.

Also people saying they were uncomfortable seeing Phan get tortured, then you shouldn't be watching this series or any war-themed Anime or manga. In actual war, women are treated worse. They get raped, spit on, murdered, etc. Every orifice in their body is used for pleasure, torture and cruelty.

Hazama and his male companions being tortured while bring shirtless does not equal manservice, Jesus Fucking Christ. Their captor's intent was to humiliate and torture them to the point they admit and submit. Obviously, very few people here know what actually happens in a war.

Except they're treated differently here. It's got fuck all to do with what the characters in the show intend the torture to do but all with how the author chose to portray it. If they wanted this scene to be harrowing, IT WOULD BE HARROWING. This show's portrayal of torture is obviously meant to be erotic instead. Just look at the opening sequence - these weird loving shots of Black Jack's bare torso and then him struggling against bondage. BDSM is a real kink people have and the author obviously has it too. Hell, have you even read some of the posts on other sites about this show??? I've seen people posting nonstop about how the torture turned them on or how they liked watching that guy piss himself. So yeah, just because it didn't do anything for you doesn't mean it wasn't really obviously supposed to do it for other people.

Plus, comparing this to a bunch of shonens? LMAO. The shirtlessness there isn't even in the same context. Goku's shirt comes off because he's powering up or getting beaten in a fight. It's meant to be powerful and show how strong he is, whereas Black Jack's always shirtless because... uh... Well, half the time, there isn't really a reason. He just is, just like how he has all those random shirtless panning shots in the very first episode for literally no reason other than "we want to appeal to people that find this attractive". Just like there was no reason for Black Jack's water to glitter sensually as it ran down his throat. People aren't complaining because Black Jack's shirtless, they're complaining because every shot of him being shirtless is them shining spotlights on his oversized nipples and zooming in over his waistline.

Also this "don't watch a war show if you don't want to see Phan getting tortured" bs... This isn't a war show. It's a medical show. This is just a short arc within it. Black Jack is also not a realistic show anyway. The 2004 version even had disclaimers about how much bullshit they were making up for their portrayals of "medical science".
Nov 3, 2015 4:41 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
straggy said:

Are we watching the same show? Hazama has not been chained up almost every episode. Just episode two and this one...and honestly, it's like you said, BDSM could be a fetish to some people, YET that doesn't make it "obviously meant to be erotic." Because not everyone who would usually be into "manservice" actually likes it or takes the torture scene that way. Your "obviously" is debatable, it's not as obvious or unnecessary as say Neko's boobs bouncing in K or the crotch shots of Seri. My point is, the torturing CAN be considered fanservice, if that's your fetish, but I'm pretty there are more people who don't find bondage to be a turn on. Granted the other sites I visited don't have a lot of activity, but if people mentioned the torture at all, they said that it was either hard to watch or it was like reality. The only other place that mentioned it as detailed as you did was ANN's review, in which, surprise, most of the responses didn't even refer to. Why not? Because many people simply didn't see it as fanservice or just don't care about it.

Also "oversized nipples"??? I had to go back and see what you were talking about. They're literally just circles drawn with thin lines that are barely noticeable, is there really a reason to complain about that? Everyone else shown shirtless had nipples too, depending on how big their presence was in the frame. There was only one shirtless panning shot in the first episode, and there was a reason. It was all to show to the audience who don't know anything about Black Jack, that Hazama has a bunch of scars, and to make you feel the same way as Okamoto, wondering what happened to Hazama in the past. And with few people's complaints about being shirtless, others have given reasons why he was in those scenes.
Episode 1 - to show Hazama's scars (because not everyone is familiar with Black Jack)
Episode 2 - they needed to examined the six people to see who qualifies for the heart transplant. They stay shirtless because why give them back their shirts, there's no point for the guy who kidnapped them.
Episode 5 - torture, because torturing with clothes on doesn't hurt as much as with clothes off...

But your point about the water flowing down Hazama's throat is valid, although it seems like you really have something against Hazama, otherwise you might as well have pointed out that water also sensually ran down the doctor's throat.
Nov 4, 2015 4:49 AM
May 2007
Monjoex said:
Indirect kiss between males..

I ship.
Nov 4, 2015 9:43 AM

Sep 2010
Another great episode and it seems like the story will now lose it's episodic vibe which still wasn't too bad.

Really great show, looking at my current watching list, in this season I would rate it second best and it's only because OPM is unfair to compare.

I once again looked over the comments here, and once again can't stop laughing. Yep this is definitely Yaoi series and it's all about showing those bodies HAHAHAHAHA! Hazama x Yabu!!!!!! :)

Serious again, I can't understand why anyone would focus on male bodies being shown with this kind of story that is really absolutely not about that. Sure maybe the studio is doing it on purpose but seeing this story this is kind of normal. As someone pointed out
[Episode 1 - to show Hazama's scars (because not everyone is familiar with Black Jack)
Episode 2 - they needed to examined the six people to see who qualifies for the heart transplant. They stay shirtless because why give them back their shirts, there's no point for the guy who kidnapped them.
Episode 5 - torture, because torturing with clothes on doesn't hurt as much as with clothes off...]
Yep, that's probably the reason why there are shirtless scene, not anything else.

Then someone wrote something about character designs but so far I never had a single complain about it (I didn't watch the old series so I don't know about Hazama's change). From now on I will do my best to find those long noses as I didn't caught them yet.

Design wise, I don't have any complains and this show doesn't need excellent animation or production value either. It's good enough that it wins with the story, seriousness and the setting of the world and evilness alone. The production is still on average+ level, nothing bad, nothing great (with exception of how the flying stitches that look magical and awesome! :))
Nov 4, 2015 7:18 PM

Jul 2012
Wait, there was manservice? What did I miss out on? I do admit, I fangirled at the sound of Suwabe Junichi's blessed voice. Good ending to this arc. I'm a bit drowsy right now so I won't write much.

"You girls are only watching this for the manservice and hot guys!" Shut the fuck up, you insecure male.

Do you really need to post this shit every week whenever you feel uncomfortable with the sight of a half naked man? I'm sorry your cock doesn't behave the way you want it to. Like the other two girls in this thread, I'm offended as fuck with these bullshit comments. I guess I should go find every other male-targeted show and comment on how "Oh I bet the guys must have screamed in delight when Tsundere A's shirt broke and her tits fell out in front of Generic Protag Male."

Who the fuck would watch Young Black Jack to get turned on? There's tons of fucked up BL doujins out there for the people into BDSM and shit. This show is too tame and serious and shouldn't be taken as a joke/fanservice show.
MayukaNov 4, 2015 7:24 PM
Nov 5, 2015 7:01 AM

May 2014
Fucking hell what an episode. First off I wanna know what the American doctor planned on asking our Hazama. Sc?
He looked like a bad fucking guy but not only was he okay but the moment he gave his water bottle to our Hazama I was happy af. And his stare towards Hazama when he was drinking, young bromance blooming.
Alao that story at the end with the frog and the scorpion, what a deep and intricate story for twenty seconds. Why did the scorpion sting the frog? Can anyone tell me?
Nov 5, 2015 10:58 AM
May 2007
KamSung said:
Alao that story at the end with the frog and the scorpion, what a deep and intricate story for twenty seconds. Why did the scorpion sting the frog? Can anyone tell me?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scorpion_and_the_Frog
Nov 5, 2015 2:18 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
KamSung said:
Fucking hell what an episode. First off I wanna know what the American doctor planned on asking our Hazama. Sc?

The doctor was probably going to ask Hazama about his scars. He started saying "ki", which was most likely the first syllable to "kizu," meaning wound/scar/scratch, etc.

And nice catch, I don't always watch the episodes previews, so I didn't hear it. I guess they wanted to say that while it's in the nature of the scorpion to sting, it is in the nature of doctors to save, regardless of who they're saving?
Nov 7, 2015 6:03 AM

Mar 2013
tingy said:
straggy said:

Are we watching the same show? Hazama has not been chained up almost every episode. Just episode two and this one...and honestly, it's like you said, BDSM could be a fetish to some people, YET that doesn't make it "obviously meant to be erotic." Because not everyone who would usually be into "manservice" actually likes it or takes the torture scene that way. Your "obviously" is debatable, it's not as obvious or unnecessary as say Neko's boobs bouncing in K or the crotch shots of Seri. My point is, the torturing CAN be considered fanservice, if that's your fetish, but I'm pretty there are more people who don't find bondage to be a turn on. Granted the other sites I visited don't have a lot of activity, but if people mentioned the torture at all, they said that it was either hard to watch or it was like reality. The only other place that mentioned it as detailed as you did was ANN's review, in which, surprise, most of the responses didn't even refer to. Why not? Because many people simply didn't see it as fanservice or just don't care about it.

Also "oversized nipples"??? I had to go back and see what you were talking about. They're literally just circles drawn with thin lines that are barely noticeable, is there really a reason to complain about that? Everyone else shown shirtless had nipples too, depending on how big their presence was in the frame. There was only one shirtless panning shot in the first episode, and there was a reason. It was all to show to the audience who don't know anything about Black Jack, that Hazama has a bunch of scars, and to make you feel the same way as Okamoto, wondering what happened to Hazama in the past. And with few people's complaints about being shirtless, others have given reasons why he was in those scenes.
Episode 1 - to show Hazama's scars (because not everyone is familiar with Black Jack)
Episode 5 - torture, because torturing with clothes on doesn't hurt as much as with clothes off...

But your point about the water flowing down Hazama's throat is valid, although it seems like you really have something against Hazama, otherwise you might as well have pointed out that water also sensually ran down the doctor's throat.

You really gon sit here and tell me you don't think this young Black Jack was designed purposefully to be dark, mysterious and sexy or that these scenes weren't all shot in a seductive way LMAO, were you even watching the same show? All the manga art for this I've seen has been him almost naked, they even got the guy that sings the OP to cosplay as him half naked and pull sensual faces, there is no goddamn way this isn't intended to be erotic! You are just kidding yourself at this point because it doesn't personally turn you on.

Lemme go over what you said...

Episode 1 - We got hella close ups of Black Jack running lovingly over his body. The wider shots are of a darkened room where his female associate is gasping at him. Without audio, it looks like the start of one of those romance scenes where someone is nervous about bodily disfiguration so they show their partner their scars and get a gentle caressing. There was... literally no reason to shoot it that way other than to get people hot and heavy under the collar for the guy.

Episode 2 - lol, the issue isn't that they're shirtless, I'm not saying "shirtless man = instant bad!!!!!!", jesus christ. This episode involved a ton of Black Jack straining against handcuffs, something this show obviously likes a lot (just look at the damn OP) and the weird sexual connotations of that are the manservice. Him on his knees in front of an elderly guy that's showering him with money? All I saw about the preview shot for that was endless prostitution jokes so yeah, that scene looked really sexual.

Episode 5 - AGAIN, IT'S THE WAY THE SCENE IS SHOT! Are you not listening? When Phan is tortured, it's from a wide angle. Black Jack had panning details, slow mo of him spurting liquid from his mouth (they even coloured it white to make it extra ambiguous and let you imagine whatever you wanted coming outta there), and the scene itself is just really in detail and pretty long. There is no way showing a shirtless guy writhing against ropes in a bunch of slow mo and panning shots isn't meant to be sexual. That really wasn't how to make the scene seem harrowing or like the guy was in serious pain lol, it was the way to make it appeal to people that are into that.

Honestly if you can look at this show, imagine a woman in the role, and then know it's gonna have a bunch of people calling it trash because all the scenes were shot unnecessarily sexually, THEN IT'S MANSERVICE. You can deny it all you want but this show is INTENDED TO TURN PEOPLE ON. They WANT YOU TO FIND BLACK JACK SEXY, for some godawful reason. Shoulda thought about not making him ugly as goddamn sin first of all, that'd have been a nice start.
Nov 7, 2015 2:48 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
@straggy

Again, I think it's debatable (and depends on perspective), but clearly neither of us are going to agree with each other. I appreciate the effort you put into your last post though. And to reiterate, no it didn't turn me on, and whether you believe my words or not is up to you, but I know best how I feel. I'm not ignoring your arguments about the camera techniques, I just don't wish to put any more of my time on discussing this issue.

As for the manga art, I'm not going to lie that it's not meant to pander to females, but I've been reading the manga up to volume 8 now, and yes Hazama does get sexualized--however only in the colored page right after the volume covers, as well a a few chapter covers. When in context of the story, there really isn't all that much shirtlessness (most of that were in the chapters corresponding to the scenes already shown in anime) nor is there sexualization of the male body within the story. The intention of the show is not to turn people on, that's really exaggerating it. That sounds like everyone here is watching hentai or something.
Nov 7, 2015 6:50 PM
Mar 2012
New doc nice techniques & med knowledge.
mor topless men
Hard to watch Hazama & Phan torture. Forest heatstroke expresses that atmosphere very well.
Nov 7, 2015 8:48 PM
Jul 2018
That was an awesome episode, for the torture scenes I’m just glad Phan didn’t get raped tbh. This is way easier than that, still feel bad for everyone that got tortured though. While the manservice is way less than almost any series with fanservice this season, it’s most likely going to attract the fujoshis and I don’t want to read stupid shipping comments. Best part in this episode: hearing SUWABE JUNICHI voice the American doctor!!!!
Nov 8, 2015 12:30 AM

Jul 2008
Black Jack got one upped this time and rightly so. You are not a jedi yet.
Nov 8, 2015 4:05 PM

Jul 2012
straggy said:
You can deny it all you want but this show is INTENDED TO TURN PEOPLE ON. They WANT YOU TO FIND BLACK JACK SEXY, for some godawful reason. Shoulda thought about not making him ugly as goddamn sin first of all, that'd have been a nice start.

I guess Jojo fits that too
Nov 9, 2015 12:12 AM

Mar 2012
mayukachan said:
straggy said:
You can deny it all you want but this show is INTENDED TO TURN PEOPLE ON. They WANT YOU TO FIND BLACK JACK SEXY, for some godawful reason. Shoulda thought about not making him ugly as goddamn sin first of all, that'd have been a nice start.

I guess Jojo fits that too

Let's not forget about Hokuto no Ken. Kenshiro's always ripping his shirts to show off his fabulous abs. Clearly intended to turn people on.
Nov 13, 2015 1:21 AM

Dec 2012
I found this episode good. It's the first arc of the serie and it is nice to watch so far.
The new doctor is skilled and he is intrigued by the Hazama's scars.
Poor american, they were beaten up so hard :/.
Nov 14, 2015 4:37 AM

May 2010
Just LOL'ed when they said "Frankenstein", seeing Hazama's scars XD

And Bob's dramatic repeated yelling out of Phan's name cracked me up as well. I lost it at the last "PHAN!" when he slammed the wall LOL
Nov 28, 2015 7:09 PM

Feb 2008
And like people called it in the previous thread, people complaining about "manservice". Yes, a guy getting brutally beaten was definitely fanservice, just like Fhan getting tortured was fanservice for guys right?

Pretty good episode. Weird to see Kiriko without an eyepatch and actually helping people rather than euthanizing them lol. I haven't finished the manga, so not sure if this clashes with their first meeting there.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Dec 11, 2015 7:41 AM

Jun 2008
thebrentinator24 said:
Shiroharu said:

I seriously feel offended by this because well I do enjoy manservice but I havent paid that much attention to it in Young Black Jack. It doesnt interest me that much in this show and this also goes for the boys love. Of course I can's speak for everyone but I dont think that fujoshis are watching it bc of that.
I can watch this show and enjoy it even without thinking thats BL

Sorry if that sounds too angry but I think that this is unjustified :/

I'm not saying every female is watching this because of the manservice, I just wanted to point out that there was a fair amount in this episode. Even as a guy, I personally don't mind the manservice. As long as the anime doesn't start focusing on that more than the actual story, I have no problems with it.

If it starts focusing more on it then it's obviously a show for the gals and we are better to stop watching because we will get annoyed unless we like seeing manservice. But as for now it really isn't bothersome at all, you can easily focus on the story and ignore the slight bishounen thing.

moeanao said:
I barely even notice the manservice you guys are talking about. Aren't you just oversensitive or something?

And why do so many people here think it's wrong to torture women but not men? Do you think women suffer more than men when they are being tortured or something? And in this, the woman didn't even get tortured much as it was interrupted while Hazama even passed out from the torture he received. Isn't it Hazama you should feel sorry for?

Especially males are more shocked by women getting tortured and even more if they are decent looking females because males have a natural instinct of protecting their women by nature so the worst for them is seeing the women ending in a bad situation like that. The looks also play role because men are visuals creatures that appreciate beauty more than anything and seeing something beautiful getting destroyed is always more sad than seeing something ugly getting destroyed anyway and if you add the attraction and protection feeling then it get multiplied.
That is how you get the psychology behind the reactions.
MonadDec 11, 2015 7:32 PM
Dec 30, 2015 5:59 PM

Jun 2015
I'm quite surprised by how the VCs have long hair lol, and how a guy said "Frankenstein" after seeing the scars on Hazama's body (considering the fact that almost no one in Vietnam at that time know about Western literature, hence alone Frankenstein).
Jan 12, 2016 3:10 AM

Aug 2014
and it was love from first glare~~~

haha, but the second half was nice while the first half was uncomfortable to watch tbh. at least nothing more happened to phan.

straggy said:
This show is so far up America's ass that it's honestly embarrassing.

that's it.
Dec 10, 2020 5:55 PM

May 2016
This series just keeps on getting better and better and it's not because of all them manservice~

Hazama's past explaining how his body turned out to be like that because of a terrorist attack and the grisly treatment of POWs by the Viet Cong were very grim moments to learn about but Yabu's new-found determination and that thrilling medic did very well to counter the despair in this episode with hope! Very nice, very nice.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 1, 2015

193 by KuriPuri »»
May 8, 1:47 AM

» Thoughts on Young Black Jack

Hydre_Ito - Sep 19, 2020

4 by removed-user »»
Nov 10, 2022 6:21 AM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2015

74 by Delgear »»
Nov 11, 2021 2:25 PM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2015

50 by gl1tchedshad0ws »»
Jul 22, 2021 5:19 PM

Poll: » Young Black Jack Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 8, 2015

125 by gl1tchedshad0ws »»
Jul 20, 2021 4:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.