Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 27, 2015 5:48 PM

Jul 2011

Don't get me wrong I am NOT hating on Haikyuu, I just don't understand how can this show be rated so high and be so popular among the MAL community. I haven't started the second season yet but when I watched the first season I didn't get what was so cool about it. It may be because I don't fancy the sport of Volleyball but at the same time I don't even like Ping Pong but I enjoyed the hell of Ping Pong the Animation. I like Kuroko no Basket for its flashy animation and ridiculously basketball superpowers as well as SOME of the characters ( I disliked Kuroko the character ). My favorite sports anime is Diamond no Ace, I just love that show; the characters, the chemistry, the character development and pretty much everything. But I can't find anything to REALLY like about Haikyuu. I am interested in what you find special in this anime and as well as to know if you guys are interested in Volleyball or so.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 27, 2015 5:51 PM

Jul 2012
Volleyball is not my favourite ball sport. It's soccer and baseball. HQ somehow makes the sport really exciting and worth crying over because of how talented and hard working the characters are.

I especially like HQ for it's refreshing atmosphere, story, and great cast of characters. Everyone's so peppy and hard working and tries to be the best they can be. They have goals and they aim for it. HQ reminds me of older sports anime just like Daiya no Ace where it's very linear and classical - MCs aim to be the best at a sport. That's it.

There's also other superficial things: Great art, animation and OST.
Oct 27, 2015 5:52 PM

May 2008
Because the characters are great. Sure, the designs aren't amazingly unique and the characters may seem kind of generic because of it, but they're fun.

Then again I love the shit out of KageHina, Kenma and Shimizu but am kinda ehhhh about everyone else (Yachi is great so far though).

It's a slower-paced sports anime so I get why some people wouldn't care about it as much, but it's good.
Oct 27, 2015 5:54 PM

Jun 2014
Fujoshis and shonenfags are the only people watching it so no one's there to rate it down.

Same situation with KnB where the later seasons are rated higher because less members to criticize it.
Oct 27, 2015 5:54 PM

May 2008
Jerkhov said:

Same situation with KnB where the later seasons are rated higher because less members to criticize it.

That's all sequels, though.
Oct 27, 2015 5:55 PM

Jul 2012
Jerkhov said:
Fujoshis and shonenfags are the only people watching it so no one's there to rate it down.

*sportsfags

I don't care much about the shippings in any of the sports anime I watch. And I'm one of the few who critisized KnB.
Oct 27, 2015 11:56 PM
Jan 2015
Extreme3708 said:

Don't get me wrong I am NOT hating on Haikyuu, I just don't understand how can this show be rated so high and be so popular among the MAL community. I haven't started the second season yet but when I watched the first season I didn't get what was so cool about it. It may be because I don't fancy the sport of Volleyball but at the same time I don't even like Ping Pong but I enjoyed the hell of Ping Pong the Animation. I like Kuroko no Basket for its flashy animation and ridiculously basketball superpowers as well as SOME of the characters ( I disliked Kuroko the character ). My favorite sports anime is Diamond no Ace, I just love that show; the characters, the chemistry, the character development and pretty much everything. But I can't find anything to REALLY like about Haikyuu. I am interested in what you find special in this anime and as well as to know if you guys are interested in Volleyball or so.

I think the main reason for Haikyuu 's popularity is the character is easily likeable and of course some chemistry between characters and such, almost same reason as why I like Diamond No Ace.. eventhough I don't play baseball and volleyball..and it's realistic too..and FYI , may be u can compare this to DnA's beginning ? because there's still long way to go before this show's most epic match..which has already been delivered by DnA (Summer Final)

well , may be it's just a matter of your preference of anime/character? being popular doesn't mean all people will always like it ... everyone got their own personl like/dislike of anime/characters and such..I also find myself sometimes in same positon as you..curious why the anime so popular despite I thought it's not that good..for my case it will be Gintama and Durarara
Oct 28, 2015 11:12 AM

Jun 2008
It's funny and has likeable characters.
Oct 28, 2015 12:10 PM

Dec 2013
It's characters and refreshing atmosphere is what made me love Haikyuu!! so much. All of the characters are likeable imo. The matches itself does keep me at the edge of my seat as well.
Oct 28, 2015 8:14 PM

Jul 2007
Honestly, it's one of the few animes that actually gets me laughing. It's refreshing in how realistic it is and that none of the characters have ridiculous, overpowering skills (see Kuroko no Basuke)
Oct 29, 2015 9:51 AM

Sep 2010
It's also worth to remember that this is a second season.

All second seasons have lower audience as only those that watched the first season will watch the second. Those that though of first season as bad have to be masochists to watch the second and while there are some people that watch some anime to complain and downrate it afterwards, that number is considerably lower for second season as well, meaning in the end the second season is watched by those that enjoyed the season first a lot.

Then the obvious reason for the high score is that haikyu is pretty damn good. Even though there weren't any matches yet which are the highlights of the show, I already enjoying the series a lot.

But yes, I agree that for the show that only just started and the show that I wouldn't consider absolute masterpiece to be placed so high in the general rankings of all anime history which TOP ANIME on mal is. Still that is the issue with the score counting system on MAL.

In the end every anime that rises in rankings gets this tread so for me right now it's just a funny sight as to why people keep on wondering about the rankings.
Oct 30, 2015 8:14 AM
Oct 2015
personally i think haikyuu is great because it doesn't make karasuno the "good guy", in other words, it doesn't do the thing where "everyone outside karasuno is BAD" and some of the characters have really good development.

i don't particularly like/hate oikawa as his cockiness and pride kinda annoys me but it's also understandable why he's like this as he works really hard to be a good setter because he doesn't really have the talent but then the talented kageyama comes along and naturally, he'd feel rather intimidated and threatened... i really like the character development for oikawa hehe.

additionally, if you read the manga / watched the 2nd season thus far you'll realise that the characters aren't always shown playing volleyball... what I like about the 2nd season is that it shows that the characters have lives outside playing volleyball competitively and how they deal with their (failing) academics and i think that's rather relatable to the school athletes than happen to watch this anime ^^

tl;dr : individuality of school teams, character development, characters not all "volleyball is life!!11!1!", also, i feel that there is never a boring moment :-)
Nov 3, 2015 9:37 AM
Sep 2012
I played volleyball throughout middle school and part of high school. I've noticed that HQ nails a lot of the real elements of school volleyball without going too far off the deep end like other sports shows. The inter-high prelims in particular felt extremely authentic to me.

To me, HQ has been pretty informative about the world of competitive volleyball. For example, HQ taught me about the libero position, as I stopped playing just before the libero was in widespread use in the US. Also, I don't feel that the show is unrealistic about the abilities of these high school players. There are shorties that can spike like Hinata and there are massive powerhouses like Ushijima.
Nov 3, 2015 10:48 AM

Jul 2013
Art, character design, animation, no gay shit, no superpower shit, no shit stuff, pure sport.
Nov 3, 2015 10:51 AM

Aug 2015
mayukachan said:
Volleyball is not my favourite ball sport. It's soccer and baseball. HQ somehow makes the sport really exciting and worth crying over because of how talented and hard working the characters are.

I especially like HQ for it's refreshing atmosphere, story, and great cast of characters. Everyone's so peppy and hard working and tries to be the best they can be. They have goals and they aim for it. HQ reminds me of older sports anime just like Daiya no Ace where it's very linear and classical - MCs aim to be the best at a sport. That's it.

Thats a big fat lie......
Its all about the Fujishit flag/bait... thats why girls like it.
Nov 3, 2015 3:39 PM

Dec 2013
MeinKaiser said:
mayukachan said:

God, I am sick and tired of people saying that the reason why people like Haikyuu is because of fujobait. Sure, some girls and boys might like the show because of that, but there are many others like myself watched the show because of the characters and their character development, the realistic and refreshing atmosphere, and the sports itself.
Nov 3, 2015 3:58 PM
Jun 2015
It's more slice of life than sports anime. People could hate watching sport and still enjoy Haikyuu. Practice and general day to day life issues are just as fun to watch as their official games, perhaps even more so. The comedy is first rate, and is often remarkably subtle; usually it's just the little things. The Manga is exceptional and the anime follows it closely. You can tell the voice actors are a very close knit team, genuinely having fun, which makes everything fit together naturally. Production values are very high. The OST is as good as anything else.

It's not mind blowing like Steins Gate, and doesn't have the depth & artistic merit of something like Ginga Eiyū Densetsu. But Haikyuu is the most fun I've ever had watching anime, which automatically makes it a 10/10 for me.
Nov 3, 2015 9:29 PM

Jun 2011
MeinKaiser said:
mayukachan said:

Exactly my thought. Same with Daiya no Ace. The drawing is cute, and the characters - usually young boys, act really cute, that's why most of the girls watch this show, and like them. If this show have Abarenbou Rikishi! Matsutarou's artstyle, its score probably wouldn't even be in the 7 's. This is hardly realistic in the sense that it's realistic, more like it isn't as unrealistic as Kuroko no Basket. The comedy is intrusive within the match, very often breaking the tension.

People, especially girls, really have to ask themselves if they would like the series as much if it doesn't have cute art and cute boys. well the comedy is pretty good outside the matches
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 3, 2015 9:31 PM

Jul 2012
MeinKaiser said:
mayukachan said:

I don't give a fuck if it's about cute boys or not. That's certainly a plus to have an attractive art style. I like sports anime for the story, character development and sports aspect (strategic play bruh).

Stop enforcing gender roles. Sports are something both girls and guys can enjoy. Look at Ping Pong or Yowamushi Pedal. Ugly ass characters. Highly rated.

ToG25thBaam said:
If this show have Abarenbou Rikishi! Matsutarou's artstyle, its score probably wouldn't even be in the 7 's.
Because it's just a shitty show?????? l o l
If Matsutarou followed a proper sports anime formula like Ippo or Major, I would have scored it much higher. Oh, and if he didn't act like a douchebag too.

Knowles said:
God, I am sick and tired of people saying that the reason why people like Haikyuu is because of fujobait. Sure, some girls and boys might like the show because of that, but there are many others like myself watched the show because of the characters and their character development, the realistic and refreshing atmosphere, and the sports itself.

+1
Nov 3, 2015 9:48 PM

Jun 2011
mayukachan said:
ToG25thBaam said:
If this show have Abarenbou Rikishi! Matsutarou's artstyle, its score probably wouldn't even be in the 7 's.
Because it's just a shitty show?????? l o l
If Matsutarou followed a proper sports anime formula like Ippo or Major, I would have scored it much higher. Oh, and if he didn't act like a douchebag too.
[Off topic] It's not a shitty show. Shitty animation maybe, but not a shitty show. It's not a show for everyone though, one have to be pretty open minded to like it's type of humour. There were also instances of heart warming moments. Matsutarou is a horrible person, but that's part of his charm. The show is actually not about the sports though, it just uses sports as a medium to tell the story of Matsutarou and how it has changed his life, for better for worse.

mayukachan said:
Stop enforcing gender roles. Sports are something both girls and guys can enjoy. Look at Ping Pong or Yowamushi Pedal. Ugly ass characters. Highly rated.
I wouldn't say that Yowapeda's art is ugly, just different. It can be seen as cute if you adjust your perspective, and the funny after-ED-segment helps a lot, especially in the case of the red hair and dark hair main characters. Also, I have not seen a sports series with as huge of a female fanbase as Haikyuu, with the exception of Kuroko no Basket maybe. You can't deny that this show has certain level of fujobait. I love the hell out of Oofuri, but even that show is a fujobait on certain level.
Edit: Oh and how many girls actually watched Ping Pong?
Nov 3, 2015 10:03 PM

Jul 2012
ToG25thBaam said:
Edit: Oh and how many girls actually watched Ping Pong?
Every one of my "fujoshi" or "sports anime trash" female friends have seen it. The one that they dismiss are the older sports anime like Major or Ippo :/
Nov 3, 2015 10:14 PM

Jun 2011
mayukachan said:
Every one of my "fujoshi" or "sports anime trash" female friends have seen it. The one that they dismiss are the older sports anime like Major or Ippo :/
What's a "sports anime trash" friend? Friends who don't like sports anime?
Nov 3, 2015 10:15 PM

Jul 2012
ToG25thBaam said:
mayukachan said:
What's a "sports anime trash" friend? Friends who don't like sports anime?

Friends who love sports anime lol

Like me liking utapri. I call myself utapri trash

I've never considered Ping Pong an obscure/unpopular show since everyone around me has heard of it or watched it. It's not on SnK or SAO levels though but higher than Kuroko and Haikyuu!! at least.
Nov 3, 2015 10:28 PM

Mar 2015
i used to think the same thing until i started watching it.
the characters have unbeatable chemistry, the story resonates really well, and they'll hit ya with the jokes in a hot second!!
honestly, it's so much fun to watch. it's damned goofy and it pulls on my heartstrings, i'm satisfied
weird "trash" nicknames don't matter bc most people who say those things condescendingly to other people are grumpy & jealous that someone is enjoying something
Nov 4, 2015 1:27 AM

Jun 2012
hmm idk, the character interactions and the hard work they put in. I like all the characters and it cracks me up in most episodes. And it's serious at times as well, like the most recent ep. I actually dont even like volleyball, but these matches excite me a lot, really well done imo.
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Nov 4, 2015 5:32 AM

Oct 2013
I know of a lot of people who played volleyball like it because it portrays the sport realistically.

Though I think most people like it because the characters are likable. Not just the main team, but all the teams. Every side is portrayed sympathetically there really is no 'bad guy'. For the most part it's light-hearted but also has some intense emotions that make you feel really sympathetic for the characters.

It's great that it doesn't try too hard to be super serious nor does it have any romance or outside drama to weigh it down and distract from the focus on volleyball. So with the light atmosphere and lovable characters it's easy to see why lots of people find it easy to like.

It might not suit everyones tastes but I don't see anything about it that is so offensive that it would bring haters. It's advertised as an anime about volleyball and that is exactly what it is, and it's a good portrayal of volleyball at that. It might not be the best anime to ever exist but I'd say it's one of the best sports animes.
Nov 4, 2015 5:39 AM

Apr 2014
another sport show with Volleyball theme that don't has anything special.
Nov 4, 2015 6:55 AM

Jan 2010
ToG25thBaam said:
MeinKaiser said:

Exactly my thought. Same with Daiya no Ace. The drawing is cute, and the characters - usually young boys, act really cute, that's why most of the girls watch this show, and like them. If this show have Abarenbou Rikishi! Matsutarou's artstyle, its score probably wouldn't even be in the 7 's. This is hardly realistic in the sense that it's realistic, more like it isn't as unrealistic as Kuroko no Basket. The comedy is intrusive within the match, very often breaking the tension.

People, especially girls, really have to ask themselves if they would like the series as much if it doesn't have cute art and cute boys. well the comedy is pretty good outside the matches

I won't deny that may be truly the case for some girls (as I've seen in the fandoms of Haikyuu and Yowamushi Pedal). But saying it is for all girls is wrong. I, personally, strongly dislike shipping and I don't have any shippings in any sports anime (the only one I have in Haikyuu is Hinata/Yachi and that's it). I don't like the characters because they look 'cute'. I like them because of their personalities, their development, their interactions. I do like Haikyuu's art style, for example, but even if it didn't have this style, I would still like it. I won't lie saying that a nice appearance is attractive, but it's not ALL of it.
I do think the matches feel quite realistic, none of the characters really have extraordinarily special powers (One of my teachers was small as Hinata and could jump as high as him!) and everyone has a nice chemistry.
One of the things I specially like about Haikyuu is their interaction, the teamwork, the friendship. I don't see any kind of 'forced fujobait fanservice', I only see it in Yowamushi Pedal and even the author admitted it because the fans ask for it. Haikyuu feels much more natural thanks to avoiding this kind of thing. I like how they shows that girls play volleyball. I like the attention towards the rival teams.

But being honest here, it is annoying when people keep saying everyone likes x sports anime just because of 'fujobait'. Some may be like that, but not everyone is (and honestly, it does bother me how some people could like this kind of anime just because of that, when the focus is obviously NOT in romance, but oh well).

And I don't want to sound offensive, but you also have a bunch of shows with a lot of cute girls and a cute art style with high rating. Even so, I don't come here to say "you obviously only like it because they are cute girls!". Just saying.
Nov 4, 2015 7:02 AM

Jul 2012
I, personally, strongly dislike shipping and I don't have any shippings in any sports anime (the only one I have in Haikyuu is Hinata/Yachi and that's it).

same

i may be fujoshi (aka a girl who likes BL) but i only ship couples if there's chemistry. haikyuu!! only has friendship at most.
Nov 4, 2015 2:21 PM

Jun 2011
mayukachan said:
Friends who love sports anime lol

Like me liking utapri. I call myself utapri trash
That's a really weird way to put it.. lol.

mayukachan said:
I've never considered Ping Pong an obscure/unpopular show since everyone around me has heard of it or watched it. It's not on SnK or SAO levels though but higher than Kuroko and Haikyuu!! at least.
There was a period where Ping Pong was hailed as the savior of anime sort of, so I guess it's rather popular on MAL. It's not the type of series that is easily accessible to more casual anime watchers tho.. I know at least I wouldn't be going into this type of series 5 years ago.

Kyuuh said:
I won't deny that may be truly the case for some girls (as I've seen in the fandoms of Haikyuu and Yowamushi Pedal). But saying it is for all girls is wrong. I, personally, strongly dislike shipping and I don't have any shippings in any sports anime (the only one I have in Haikyuu is Hinata/Yachi and that's it). I don't like the characters because they look 'cute'. I like them because of their personalities, their development, their interactions. I do like Haikyuu's art style, for example, but even if it didn't have this style, I would still like it. I won't lie saying that a nice appearance is attractive, but it's not ALL of it.
I do think the matches feel quite realistic, none of the characters really have extraordinarily special powers (One of my teachers was small as Hinata and could jump as high as him!) and everyone has a nice chemistry.
One of the things I specially like about Haikyuu is their interaction, the teamwork, the friendship. I don't see any kind of 'forced fujobait fanservice', I only see it in Yowamushi Pedal and even the author admitted it because the fans ask for it. Haikyuu feels much more natural thanks to avoiding this kind of thing. I like how they shows that girls play volleyball. I like the attention towards the rival teams.

But being honest here, it is annoying when people keep saying everyone likes x sports anime just because of 'fujobait'. Some may be like that, but not everyone is (and honestly, it does bother me how some people could like this kind of anime just because of that, when the focus is obviously NOT in romance, but oh well).

And I don't want to sound offensive, but you also have a bunch of shows with a lot of cute girls and a cute art style with high rating. Even so, I don't come here to say "you obviously only like it because they are cute girls!". Just saying.
I am not saying that every girls who watched HQ are only watching it for the cute boys, I am saying that because there is a noticeable gap between the female viewers for HQ and other sports series (just this thread alone would prove it). Sometimes even I, a guy, would watch a series for the cute boys when it's not blatant bait.
I actually agree with you on the good points of HQ!, such as having chemistry and teamwork, and putting focus on the opposite team, but HQ! is not the only series to have done that, and it certainly doesn't make it stand out more than others series deserves. What separate this series from other sports series of similar genre is definitely the artstyle.
P.S. Just me, but I actually like it more when the fujobait/yuribait is done more subtly, it allows more freedom for my imagination, so it doesn't matter if there are actual scenes of shounen ai..

I wouldn't deny it, I love a lot of cute series because they are cute, but just like in Haikyuu's case, it's a combination of a suitable art style for the right type of series. Nobody would want to watch a slice of life series with ugly art, right? (well there may be exception depends on how they wanna go with it) I am not trying to say that it's bad, it's normal to like cute things, but sometimes it's frustrating when people try really hard to deny it, even worse when they are being hypocritical and not giving other series a chance because of the art.

Also, in Daiya no Ace's case, (if anyone has seen it),
Nov 4, 2015 3:22 PM

Mar 2009
The show has a lot of passion.
Nov 5, 2015 5:32 AM

Jan 2010
ToG25thBaam said:
Kyuuh said:

I am not saying that every girls who watched HQ are only watching it for the cute boys, I am saying that because there is a noticeable gap between the female viewers for HQ and other sports series (just this thread alone would prove it). Sometimes even I, a guy, would watch a series for the cute boys when it's not blatant bait.
I actually agree with you on the good points of HQ!, such as having chemistry and teamwork, and putting focus on the opposite team, but HQ! is not the only series to have done that, and it certainly doesn't make it stand out more than others series deserves. What separate this series from other sports series of similar genre is definitely the artstyle.
P.S. Just me, but I actually like it more when the fujobait/yuribait is done more subtly, it allows more freedom for my imagination, so it doesn't matter if there are actual scenes of shounen ai..

I wouldn't deny it, I love a lot of cute series because they are cute, but just like in Haikyuu's case, it's a combination of a suitable art style for the right type of series. Nobody would want to watch a slice of life series with ugly art, right? (well there may be exception depends on how they wanna go with it) I am not trying to say that it's bad, it's normal to like cute things, but sometimes it's frustrating when people try really hard to deny it, even worse when they are being hypocritical and not giving other series a chance because of the art.

Also, in Daiya no Ace's case, (if anyone has seen it),

Oh, okay then, sorry if I sounded rude. It seemed like you were saying all the girls liked it because of the fujobait and it's something that have been quite annoying for me, now I see your point. Yes, HQ!! is not the only series doing all of that, but somehow, it got really popular because of it. I only got into HQ!! out of curiosity because I wasn't really a big fan of sports anime, but now I find them pretty fun and makes me want to watch others (like Daiya no Ace, Ping Pong, or even the older ones, like Major, which sounds really interesting). I have to agree with you about the artstyle being the differential thing in HQ too. Really sorry if I sounded offensive or anything like that.
P.S: I am someone who doesn't like much fujobait/yuribait, or rather, I think I just don't see it in that way... I don't like shipping, so even when I do have ships, it's more because there are pretty obvious hints XD

You have a point. I do agree with that and it's sad when people don't give a series a chance just because of the art (and I think that would work not only for animes, but also for games).

I didn't watch Daiya no Ace, but I read what you said and... Well, I still have to watch it, but I see your point there and it's something that bothers me. Would Daichi case be similar, then? Because I don't see many people liking him, they normally like much more the other captains, and well, he definitely isn't 'cute' like the other characters and has more of a plain and older appearance (as said by the author, Furudate, himself). When I see people liking him, they just talk about shipping him with Sugawara or Kuroo (which is something that bothers me a lot, because it sounds like he is only liked to be shipped?)
Nov 5, 2015 7:22 PM

Jun 2011
Kyuuh said:
P.S: I am someone who doesn't like much fujobait/yuribait, or rather, I think I just don't see it in that way... I don't like shipping, so even when I do have ships, it's more because there are pretty obvious hints XD
To me, shipping is not something I take really seriously, and more often do I ship not because they truly deserve to be together, but rather because they look cute together, and it's fun as a viewer to watch their interaction, that's all. It's the platonic way instead of a romantic/sexual way. Sometimes because of bromance too, if you know what that means. XD

Kyuuh said:
I only got into HQ!! out of curiosity because I wasn't really a big fan of sports anime, but now I find them pretty fun and makes me want to watch others (like Daiya no Ace, Ping Pong, or even the older ones, like Major, which sounds really interesting).
You definitely have to explore more of the sports genre, it's a misconception for people to think that sports anime is boring because it resembles real life sports. The interesting part about sports anime is not the sports itself, but rather the character focus, because we're following the life of the main characters who happen to play sports. Sports series usually have more character development than anime of other genres due to its focus on the characters.

Kyuuh said:
You have a point. I do agree with that and it's sad when people don't give a series a chance just because of the art (and I think that would work not only for animes, but also for games).
Yeah I agree, and this really bum me out.

Kyuuh said:
I didn't watch Daiya no Ace, but I read what you said and... Well, I still have to watch it, but I see your point there and it's something that bothers me. Would Daichi case be similar, then? Because I don't see many people liking him, they normally like much more the other captains, and well, he definitely isn't 'cute' like the other characters and has more of a plain and older appearance (as said by the author, Furudate, himself). When I see people liking him, they just talk about shipping him with Sugawara or Kuroo (which is something that bothers me a lot, because it sounds like he is only liked to be shipped?)
I suppose people prefer the fun type more than the serious uptight type of character, and in a lot of cases that I know, the charm of the serious type character is often brought out by his friends, in Daichi's case it would probably be Sugawara and Kuroo, that's why people enjoy watching their interaction. I am guessing that their "shipping" is not really shipping, but rather like what I said, they just enjoy watching the interaction between the two. That's just my take on the situation tho, I could be completely wrong. But yea, Daichi doesn't have much favorite point compared to the other characters.
Nov 5, 2015 7:25 PM

Sep 2013
Because it's good?
The characters are all likable and the matches are intense.
Nov 6, 2015 3:28 PM

Jun 2014
ToG25thBaam said:
The drawing is cute

Personally, I don't think the art in Haikyuu is cute. Sometimes I think it can be called cute, but I think the art shines in those cool or intense moments.
Nov 6, 2015 4:30 PM

Jan 2010
Extreme3708 said:

I like Kuroko no Basket for its flashy animation and ridiculously basketball superpowers

Because some people prefer realistic high school sports, and some prefer ridiculous overpowered high school sports. It's preference. That's all.
Nov 7, 2015 1:30 PM
Jun 2015
Personally I love it because it's so motivational. I've watched countless sports animes and something about this one just puts it above the rest. The way hinata is viewed as the underdog yet is their greatest power yet not all mighty is amazing. It leaves room for charater development and improvement overall for everyone. It's similar to diamond no ace how sawamura keeps improving. We keep watching because we WANT to see these charaters improve and how far they can go. Something about a charater never giving up regardless of their short comings is captivating. Regardless nothing can be loved by everyone it's all up to how you precieve it. Still it's a great show to me and a lot of others.
Nov 7, 2015 1:50 PM
Mar 2015
Extreme3708 said:

Simple reason about is - motivation. You can compare this anime to everything. I'm CS:GO player and i want to be the best - like Hinata. CS:GO is teamplay game with 5-skilled guys - when volleyball is same with few more.
I'm watching it and getting pumped to train and get better - meanwhile having fun, because anime is just beast.
After all i was good in volleyball like 8 years ago in elementary school when i was like best in my class and top in gymnasium, but i stopped to train, later broken my leg so i lost my strength, didn't practice for long and don't have skill anymore.
But after i watched Haikyuu - i got motivated to play volleyball, even i can't play good, im better in getting tosses and can attack - just because i can imagine i'm like Hinata.
Nov 8, 2015 1:33 AM

Nov 2007
Huge pluses such as the characters and their development, their interactions, realistic approach, background music, animation quality, etc. aside, to me, the biggest thing about Haikyuu is that this show has got a heart; and a BIG ONE at it. Despite of being a sports shounen, it somehow gives the same feeling when I am watching shows like Non Non Biyori or Uchuu Kyodai for example. It has this warm and fuzzy feeling about it. It's very inspirational and makes you want to do your best in whatever you are doing (like Uchuu Kiyodai) or think about all that is beautiful about life (like Non Non).

The introduction of the Murabito B certainly added more to that in this season. :)
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 11, 2015 2:06 PM

Feb 2014
I watched a lot of sports animes (Diamond no Ace, KnB, Yowamushi Pedal) but Haikyuu is simply one of most engaging.
Unlike KnB where I didnt give a F about Seirin after season 1 Haikyuu makes you want to root for Karasuno since they are really underdogs and the characters are actually struggling and losing.
Also the series has a lot of energy thanks to his great main character Hinata.

I have to add that the manga is really unappealing to me due to the art style, anime however is really well made, mostly high quality animation and soundtrack.
Nov 11, 2015 2:28 PM

Jul 2015
Chibi-Alice said:
It's funny and has likeable characters.

Yeah. I also don't really like volleyball but the anime made it appealing and interesting. It's very engaging even though not a lot of big things happened so far, compared to KnB.

LastIllusion said:

I have to add that the manga is really unappealing to me due to the art style, anime however is really well made, mostly high quality animation and soundtrack.

Agreed. I tried reading the manga before the second season started airing and I just couldn't get into it like the anime. The artstyle is better in the anime. Sports or shounen series are better as anime usually because they benefit a lot from the animation/art/color and sound.
Nov 16, 2015 3:07 AM

Feb 2015
I don't get what's so special about it either.

I'm not into sports animes. The only one I really enjoyed was Kuroko no Basket. Even though I didn't like how ridiculous the basketball plays became in Seasons 2 and 3, I felt like it had an original story: the golden generation, interesting characters with different abilities, and Kuroko was just so unique.

However, I watched the first 9 Haikyuu episodes and I was so bored because everything was so slow, generic and cliché. There weren't any exciting matches, I couldn't stand Hinata (a shounen charcter we've seen over and over again) and I really didn't care for any characters.

I get that some people might like sports animes and that they might have fallen for these characters and their relatinoships but I think it's suuuuper overrated. Ranked #15 in MAL?! That's insane.
Noragami reading/watching order: http://blessedyuki.tumblr.com/noragami-guide

"2016 will be the year of Sanji" - Eiichiro Oda
Nov 16, 2015 4:06 AM

Jan 2015
Uve23 said:

I get that some people might like sports animes and that they might have fallen for these characters and their relatinoships but I think it's suuuuper overrated. Ranked #15 in MAL?! That's insane.

Naturally anyone who doesn't like it, will feel that it's overrated. I feel the same way about Gintamas various seasons hogging many places of the Top 10 and I'm sure there are people who feel that way about Mushishi.

There is no such thing as cliché anymore. Everything has been done a thousand times, virtually everything is cliched. You didn't stick around until the tournament and the real matches started which I can't blame you for. Also if it doesn't connect with you, it doesn't connect with you, nothing anyone can do about it.

Is there anything in Haikyuu S2 which makes it a godly, wonderful series that everyone should like? Of course not. Nor is there in any other Anime. But is Haikyuu a well done Anime? Yes, it is. It may be my unique position, but I never cared about Volleyball one bit and still think it is really boring in the real world. But Haikyuu makes it exciting. The characters aren't unique, how could they be? But the relationship between the characters, the comedy, the intense matches all make Haikyuu worthwhile. If you care about it (which I don't, as long as it is acceptable quality) the animation and OST are outstanding, which I don't think anyone will reasonably dispute.

Would I rate it in the Top 15 of my personal Anime list? Probably not. But ultimately the most important thing is if people enjoy it and how much they enjoy it. Despite S2 again having a slow start with the training arcs lots of people seem to enjoy it. It of course helps, that as a matter of standard sequel operating procedure it dropped two thirds of its viewers from S1 (same with Noragami or Kuroko from S1 to S3).

Those threads are pointless. I don't get what is supposed to be good about Stein's;Gate but lots of people enjoy it and its not necessarily overrated just because I don't like it. It might just not be to my taste. Nothing insane about it.
Nov 16, 2015 4:34 AM
Nov 2012
I can see why people don't like this anime. But the fact that Haikyuu is slow-paced and focuses on every character's development is what makes it special to me.
Unlike other sports animes which are all about matches, Haikyuu actually shows the characters struggling and improving, which is why they're so likeable to the audience

btw this thread is ridiculous, everyone has his own taste, yours isn't better than anyone else's. So if Haikyuu is high ranked, it is because many people liked it, deal with it.
Nov 16, 2015 4:58 AM

Mar 2008
Slow paced? I don't think I'd agree there. I suppose it did take a relative while for the team to be fully formed and for them to be competition-worthy, but I think Haikyuu's pacing is actually quite deft when compared with other sports anime.

If by slow-paced, we mean the preference for quieter character interactions over constant cliffhangers, high-stakes drama, and grindingly long games, then yeah, I guess it's slow paced.

I would think Haikyuu's popularity comes from its tight execution (consistent animation, exciting 'action' pieces) on top of its effective character/writing-side.
It's certainly by-the-book sports-team tourney stuff, but the show hardly steps out of line story-wise. The production's a service ace, and so, we have an agreeable and well handled friendship try-hard sweatofyouth boy's-love sports action-drama.
Nov 16, 2015 4:26 PM
Apr 2012
Ckan said:
sweatofyouth boy's-love

stop right there.
Nov 16, 2015 4:29 PM

Jul 2012
Fumito said:
Ckan said:
sweatofyouth boy's-love

stop right there.

he's joking

Uve23 said:
because everything was so slow, generic and cliché.
rlly?????????
Nov 17, 2015 4:12 AM

Feb 2015
Of course, everyone has its own tastes. And, like I said, if you've become attached to these characters, I can see why many people will like to see them evolving, as well as their relationships, etc. (Not to say that the majority of the fandom seem to be very interested in the yaoi side of it).

And yes, I know that nearly 99% of animes nowadayas are cliché and pretty much the same story with just different characters, but I still try to find that one element that will make an anime unique and, therefore, stand out. That's why I mentioned Kuroko no Basket, which added the element of the golden generation, the different pasts and abilities of the main characters, Kuroko's game style and the fact that Kuroko himself is an unusual main shounen character (being quite, unnoticed and ignored all the time was refreshing).

When I started with Haykuu I felt like I had seen it all before: main character who's innocent but strong-willed, teamwork over individuality, easy running gags, etc.
Noragami reading/watching order: http://blessedyuki.tumblr.com/noragami-guide

"2016 will be the year of Sanji" - Eiichiro Oda
Nov 18, 2015 1:27 AM

Mar 2012
Jerkhov said:

Since when is it only fujoshis or people who like shounens that watch a sports anime? Is it a rule now that guys who watch anime are a bunch of horny people that only watch anime for tits and ass? Or that every girl that watches a sports anime is automatically a fujoshi? That's as idiotic as calling people who enjoy shounen anime "shonenfags." Really MAL, grow up.
Nov 18, 2015 1:30 AM

Jul 2012
Avenger-senpai said:
Or that every girl that watches a sports anime is automatically a fujoshi?

Obviously, like, how can a girl enjoy sports anime without shipping each boy character? All girls like to watch are shitty romcoms. Girls can't be into sports at all! Or character development! Pfffttttt.

/sarcasm

Also, you can be a fujoshi and be able to like a sports anime for it's non-gay stuff. lmao Fujoshi just means you like gay stuff in addition with hetero stuff. It doesn't mean you ship homo pairings in every show.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Second Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2016

252 by egeD19 »»
Apr 4, 7:44 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Second Season Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2016

130 by iamsnakeuu »»
Apr 3, 11:36 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Second Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2015

111 by iamsnakeuu »»
Apr 3, 11:03 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Second Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2015

111 by iamsnakeuu »»
Mar 16, 8:28 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Second Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2015

110 by iamsnakeuu »»
Mar 16, 7:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.