Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Oct 18, 2015 4:25 PM

Nov 2014
Loved this part in the manga, the adaptation was glorius
Oct 18, 2015 4:26 PM

Jul 2014
A shame my AOTY aired back in spring; Kekkai sensen. Iunno where we're going with this favourite attacking tho.

Edit: What the hell does this discussion have anything to do with AOTY anyway?
YehartOct 18, 2015 4:33 PM
"Hi!"
Oct 18, 2015 4:27 PM

Jul 2012
Another awesome episode filled with crazy dramatic suspenseful build up that ends up going to a super stupid funny drop, That is what makes this series great, great comedy and awesome quick action shots. Cant wait to see what they will have in store for us in the next episodes.

Here is my full review on the episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXsthIR06sk&feature=youtu.be
Oct 18, 2015 4:30 PM

Oct 2011
Feels like I'm reading the manga all over again. Madhouse is staying true to the origins (^▽^)

Oct 18, 2015 4:37 PM

Aug 2012
I need to follow his regimen so I can become stronger
Oct 18, 2015 4:49 PM

Mar 2015
I can't believe he is more worried about the sales than the rampaging thing lol! Saitama is the best hero ever?????

The comedic value is 10/10 animation is clearly 10/10 and whoa I'm so enjoying this anime. I thought being OP wouldn't really be good, but this anime proves me wrong.

I hope we got to see more of Genos, he is nice. But somehow I feel that he's here just so there is more action and battle scenes because Saitama is just too OP.

Oct 18, 2015 4:52 PM

Jul 2015
100 pushups, 100 squats, 100 sit-ups and running 10 km an optimal formula to stay strong and almost a god XD
Oct 18, 2015 5:02 PM
Feb 2015
EW! What shitty squat form. He didn't even go below parallel. How did he even get so strong with such bad form.
Oct 18, 2015 5:26 PM

Sep 2013
I wonder WhyTF are those Eps feeling like they are 3 mins long..? seriously, I have to watch them 7 times (3x7=21=normal Ep..xd) at least to start actully get enough of them..lol

Yatorin said:
100 pushups, 100 squats, 100 sit-ups and running 10 km an optimal formula to stay strong and almost a god XD
Indeed..
Now, 100 pushups, 100 squats, 100 sit-ups and running 10.2 km won't do..
you should perform 100 pushups, 100 squats, 100 sit-ups and running 10 km to get that power..xd
Oct 18, 2015 5:37 PM

Jun 2015
[size=90]Genos was awesome when he destroyed the building hahaha
His supposed to be "secret" training was no surprise but it was still hilarious

Oct 18, 2015 5:42 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode, played out the only way it could.
Oct 18, 2015 5:54 PM

Nov 2014
I'm dying. This show is pure gold. XD Oh my god next week's going to be hilarious too. XDD Looking forward to it :))
Oct 18, 2015 6:08 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
At least this show is getting better each week. It added a little bit more substance this time around.

Still is not "laugh out loud funny" like people are attempting to make it out to be. It got a few chuckles out of me, but that was about the extent.

Action continues to be the only consistently good thing about this show. Oh, and the art/animation.
Oct 18, 2015 6:10 PM

Apr 2014
goku is officially weaker than saitama because he's not bald yet lol
Oct 18, 2015 6:23 PM

Jan 2013
The fight was great. Good to see it in animation I thought this episode will be boring. I can't wait for the next.
Oct 18, 2015 6:27 PM

Jul 2010
I feel like the comedy in the manga hits a lot better than the anime does but still enjoyed this episode.
Oct 18, 2015 6:28 PM

Jun 2009
Sweet, we're getting Sonic next episode. ^^
Oct 18, 2015 6:31 PM

Apr 2014
Todd_ said:
At least this show is getting better each week. It added a little bit more substance this time around.

Still is not "laugh out loud funny" like people are attempting to make it out to be. It got a few chuckles out of me, but that was about the extent.

Action continues to be the only consistently good thing about this show. Oh, and the art/animation.
while i agree comedy is subjective so taking that into consideration with other ppl is pretty illogical
Oct 18, 2015 6:46 PM

Jul 2015
This week's episode was good, but not as great as last week's.
Oct 18, 2015 6:51 PM

Jul 2014
This episode felt kinda weid -_-".........
well, whatever, still great episode. ^^
Oct 18, 2015 7:04 PM
Feb 2015
Another amazing episode, if this series keeps the pace it has it will be AOTY. I just hope a second season comes around at one point in the future.

Off topic:
moodie said:
Worst Anime of Summer 2015: God Eater

Is it really that bad? I mean, I am interested but I haven't watched it yet.
Oct 18, 2015 7:06 PM

Aug 2015
Can't get enough of that OST. Good episode.
Oct 18, 2015 7:13 PM

Nov 2013
Unfunny and starts to get repetitive
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Oct 18, 2015 7:39 PM

Apr 2015
Eh, starting to find this a bit overrated. Sorry, OPM fans. It's still watchable I just find the humor to be a bit unfunny. Still pretty entertaining.
It's time you look inward and begin asking yourself the big question, "Who are you, and what do you want?" - Uncle Iroh
Oct 18, 2015 7:56 PM

Jan 2013
This anime is so epic xD i'm loving it so much xD
I love how they change from action to comedy ahahaha
All that time he was taking so much punches because he almost missed the day with big discaunts in the supermarket ahahah that was epic xD
That moment when Genos destroys their superficial base that had 8 lvl and it was supposed to be full of traps :D
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Oct 18, 2015 8:01 PM

Jan 2014
Fun stuff.........but I have to admit, people's responses in this thread are funnier. It's been 3 episodes and some people are already expecting the satisfaction of an entire series.
Geez folks, get with the program.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Oct 18, 2015 8:01 PM

Dec 2012
Love how Genos destroys the whole building as soon as they get there.
Always great to see Geno fight even though he lost.
Finally get to hear how Saitama has become so strong. The explanation and reactions was so good.
Saitama quickly taking out Ashura Kabuto cause he can't miss out on those bargains at the supermarket.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Oct 18, 2015 9:18 PM

Aug 2013
NO FUCKING AROUND ON SATURDAYS.

The animation, my goodness…

Thank you Madhouse for this amazing adaptation. <3

NEXT EP, a Modern Ninja (Sonic) shows up!
Oct 18, 2015 9:32 PM

Feb 2014
YEEART said:
Right, so basically talking to you was a waste of time then Ici. Pretty much what half of this fan base is anyway.

I like the show but anyone can see that the score is quite inflated from a big fan base from the manga combined with the massive fan base on this forum for Studio Madhouse. I mean its already in the top 50 based on 3 episodes. If it keeps up the quality then sure it might deserve its rating.
Oct 18, 2015 9:53 PM

Feb 2015
Another great episode. Hoping Saitama could make it to the bargain sale.
Oct 18, 2015 9:57 PM

Sep 2013
How does Genos not pwn the shit outta these guys?!?! I mean he annihilated that tower and everything around it like he just sneezed! Fantastic animation and OST but I saw the sale bit coming a mile away.
Oct 18, 2015 10:04 PM

Nov 2011
This was the worst episode so far, which isn't to say it was bad, but it wasn't nearly as productive or amusing as the first two episodes. I got a few smiles out of some parts, such as "not being into dudes" or Genos blowing the building away on the spot. The only part I found considerably amusing was the "modern art" quip.

The workout regimen and actual day of the week jokes fell flat, unfortunately.

As a non-manga/webcomic reader, I have a theory about Saitama's actual power source (using his explanation as a basis):

Nidhoeggr said:
Once again, the point is not about creating an exciting fight with Saitama. He is overpowered, he will always win. That is obvious from the very beginning. But unlike all the other power fantasies where they just focus on giving you a fake sense of underdog status or stakes (looking at you Mahouka), the show fully embraces the consequences such a character has on the writing. Why do you think Saitama gets to be the last to do something every arc? Why do you think he is purposely designed to be extremely apathetic? Why is the show obviously focussing on side characters a lot? It's to show off a point. Watchmen pulled something similar when it contrasted Dr. Manhattan with the normal superheroes like the Owl. However, this is not meant to indulge in philosophical ramblings first and foremost, but rather be a lighthearted, more action oriented execution of a similar concept specifically aimed at clichees. It's dry and deadpan on purpose and it slowly expands its leitmotif over time after the initial establishment.

In this sense, the show does more with its theme than any SAO, Mahouka, Cavalry, etc. will ever be able to achieve, as its core premise already foregoes the inevitable conclusions the writing of afrementioned shows will have to reach, provided they featured competent execution. This is the mark of a good parody. Add excellent sound direction, animation and overall production value to it and you got a show that makes no mistakes when it comes to craftsmanship except maybe lingering too much on a few side gags. Of course this obviously does not sit well with people who enjoy conventional power fantasies as it deconstructs the primary motive for watching these shows: (In)direct selfinsertion, the joy of excerting dominance or experienceing popularity via proxy. And once again, as we progress with the show this will be indirectly adressed through OPM's plot as well and played for laughs.

I'll bite, but first, a distinction: There is a difference between a satire and a parody. A satire seeks to criticize with emphasis on reforming whatever its target is, and thus is mostly serious in its goals even though it can employ humor. However, a parody is affectionate in nature despite acknowledging the flaws in its target, and thus is mostly silly. While they both point out issues with common tropes, their purpose is different.

I would like you to determine whether you're considering this primarily a satire or a parody. For now I will respond under the assumption that you think this is mostly parodic-- please correct me if I'm wrong in that assumption.

With that out of the way, I would like to point out first and foremost that a premise does not and will not ever make a story good in and of itself. The premise can be bad, good, tired, novel, etc., but that in itself does not make the overall story good or bad. Likewise, a theme being present does not equate to the theme being meaningful or "good" any more than characters being present equates to characterization being good. Further, a premise and a theme are not the same thing; you can go any direction you want with a premise-- idealistic, cynical, lighthearted, dark, whatever, so the core premise (Saitama defeating his enemies in one punch) does not have any bearing on what has been or will be done with the themes-- this very well could have gone the route of the so-called "Western power fantasy" with the exact same premise.

So, the first thing I'm going to have to ask you about is exactly where the show has "done" anything with its theme ("power is meaningless") beyond merely introducing it. We got the introduction to the theme and a bit of exploration of it in relation to Saitama's character in the first episode, but the second episode was devoted almost wholly to introducing Genos's character and setting up the plot for this and (presumably) the next episodes, and this episode did absolutely nothing to develop said theme. It merely continued to present the theme in stasis. Unless you can show otherwise, that means the themes are an inadequate defense for this episode.

Next, and with this we're getting to the meat of the matter, the goal of a parody is comic effect through exaggeration. Unlike a satire, it is generally a direct mimicry of its target. It's not intended to incite change in society, nor to vent frustration through humor. Rather, it is simply fun for the sake of fun. In essence, it is a hybrid of the comedy genre. That's not to say it can't produce something meaningful, but that is to say that a show's success as a parody is heavily dependent upon whether or not it manages to be humorous. Therefore, if a show that is primarily a parody isn't funny, then it is a failure.

What makes this interesting is the themes-- if the show does indeed end up developing and focusing on its themes more so than trying to be humorous, then it has morphed into a satire and can be judged primarily on the grounds of a satire, but until that happens (or, again, if you can show that it has already happened) the comedy holds more weight than the themes do since it is more appropriate to judge this as a parody than a satire.

Also, as an aside, I found the implication that everyone who finds the comedy flat must be a fan of traditional superhero stories-- and further that those who enjoy those stories must do so for the purpose of escapism-- to be in poor taste.

Edit: Wording issue.
TripleSRankOct 19, 2015 8:49 AM
Oct 18, 2015 10:08 PM

May 2015
I thought for a sec that Saitama regretted his decision to fight Carnage, like he was too strong for him. But, no, all he was worried about was his sale. LOL.

No matter how strong the opponent is, it seems like he doesn't give a fuck, because he'll always win in the end.

Oct 18, 2015 10:35 PM

Oct 2011
Don't mess with Saitama when a sale comes around XDDDd
Oct 18, 2015 11:44 PM

Jul 2014
I subconsciously really wanted to not like this show because it was so hyped up, specifically by people who are generally snobby when it comes to their tastes in anime, but this is just too good/funny to not love haha
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 19, 2015 12:11 AM

Aug 2014
god i love saitama

also could it be that the scientist responsible for genos be among people investigating the charred remains?

kabato was disturbing in the sense that I know he is supposed to be a cross with a stag beetle but his horn made me think of something else. ////
Oct 19, 2015 12:24 AM
May 2015
GosuGian said:
Dat reveal on his training secrets... That's incredible!

One hundred push-ups!
One hundred sit-ups!
One hundred squats!
Ten kilometer run! (Every single day)
And of course, make sure you eat three meals a day.
Just a banana in the morning is fine.
But the most important thing is to never use the Air-con / Heater in the Summer or Winter so that you can strengthen the mind.
and save money
Oct 19, 2015 1:13 AM

Jul 2015
Animation quality when fighting is on point as always.
Oct 19, 2015 1:17 AM

Jan 2013
Oct 19, 2015 1:21 AM

Oct 2012
this shows is getting pretty boring, sorry but totally not living up to any of the hype.
Still a fine show, but not great like it was made out to be.
Oct 19, 2015 1:36 AM

Jul 2013
The premise is getting old very fast as expected.

I won't mind if it's actually funny but the last part at the end when he realized that he missed the supermarket sale day was so painfully predictable. I mean just how cliche can you be? I've seen that type of joke so often it's not even funny. As a matter of fact that applies to almost every joke in this episode. Anyone who've seen enough comedy would be able to guess every punch line.

I hope it at least improves on the combat from here on because (I think) this is supposed to be comedy but it has so far failed spectacularly in that regard.
Oct 19, 2015 1:43 AM

Jun 2014
OMG this episode was hilarious!

"You turned Genos into a piece of modern art" and the ending where he thought he missed the sale had me rolling!

He thought he was going to have a real challenge when Kabuto entered carnage mode, but again all it took was one punch.
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Oct 19, 2015 1:47 AM

Dec 2014
Yet another stellar episode. 5/5
Started laughing half way through when Saitama started realizing what today was xD
Oct 19, 2015 1:51 AM

Mar 2012
Oh man, this just keeps getting better and better xD

neolucaman said:
goku is officially weaker than saitama because he's not bald yet lol

Krillin and Tien are clearly holding back ;)
Oct 19, 2015 2:25 AM

Jul 2012
Hmmm... Just marathon-ed the first 3 eps and I'm already praising Madhouse to high heaven. OP Man delivers. And it delivers good.

Comedy can be a hit or miss thing. OP Man is no exception. But one can't deny it's quite superb for what it is: a Shounen battle manga parody/satire. Heck the deconstruction of major themes in shounen battle series is what got me hooked in the first place. And for some reason, I just can't hate Saitama. He can be quite strangely profound at times. You'll see that side of him in the later arcs. The development of the side characters is also handled very well.

And for the record, I happen to like series such as Mahouka, Cavalry, SAO etc. I like OP Man just as much if not more. It's just a matter of taste in the end. No need to get on each others throats too much.
Oct 19, 2015 2:47 AM
May 2013
Damn this is fucking awesome, I love the manga and this anime is just great. Creeping closer onto my top 10 list evey episode
Oct 19, 2015 3:02 AM

Jan 2011
Another fantastic, action-packed episode. I really liked how the episode began with a really long explanation from the Gorilla cyborg from the previous episode. Genos even told him to summarise in 20 words or less, that was great. Genos destroyed that building within seconds. He definitely has some amazing firepower. Saitama wanted to at least see what they had in store for them though, haha.

Carnage Kabuto was one huge crazy mutant. Genos had a tough time against him. Carnage sensed that Saitama was so strong just by being around him close up. Saitama's secret to being so powerful was your a pretty believable training regimen which was hilarious. Carnage's transformation's colours remind me of Eva 01 with the whole purple and green, that's pretty cool if it was intentional. I knew Saitama was thinking about the bargain sale at the supermarket during the fight. It's so funny that he worries about such things during a fight because he knows he one-shots every opponent and this fight was no exception. xD
5/5
Oct 19, 2015 3:17 AM

Nov 2009
My favourite episode so far, was laughing hysterically nearly all the way through. Best bits were the Genos afro and the training routine explanation "you gotta train like hell until your hair falls out" absolutely brilliant.
Oct 19, 2015 3:31 AM

Apr 2015
And yet another amazing episode that hasn't failed to entertain the audience. This episode contained everything, from seriousness to funny as hell. Genos afro, the training and... the supermarket ending xD Definitely loved this episode.
Oct 19, 2015 3:37 AM

Mar 2013
Oh this was nice watch than the last two.
The actions scenes with the OST and visuals was such a nice treat :D
Genos is such a bad-ass... again.

And loved the House of Evolution stuff. Tho I wonder if I'll get to see Daisuke Namikawa aka Dr. Genus again...

Also, lmao at Saitama's training regime :v
This ep had more funnier facial expressions than the last two lol XD
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Live Action Movie gets new writers (Rick and Morty writer and creator)

OvergrownRover - Apr 14

2 by Kadano »»
Apr 23, 12:40 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2015

346 by Mobesho-SAN »»
Apr 22, 2:24 AM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2015

986 by larryfirst »»
Mar 28, 5:27 AM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2015

337 by Mobesho-SAN »»
Mar 18, 12:48 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2015

791 by Jiborjas »»
Mar 13, 8:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.