Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 1, 2015 6:55 AM
May 2015
Given the notion of this booth help commit suicide, I think I can come up with several topics.

1.Is the right to commit suicide to be legalized? Can one deprive him/herself of his/her life? or Is the life absolutely inviolable even by the owner?(Maybe some people will contend that one can't be the sole owner of his/her life for his/her existence or absence affects other people around him/her more or less. I wanna hear these people's detailed opinions too.)

2.If legalized and installed, should the suicide booth be accessible to the minors?(Some may put this on the same lines as the fact that alcohol or cigarettes are not accessible to them and others won't.)

3.What kind of side effects do you expect from installing these booths?

As far as I'm concerned
1.Yes. I think that one has a total control over his/her life. If you wanna have a hamburger as lunch, you can and should be able to. If you wanna go to beach for this summer vacation, you can and should be able to. The right to commit suicide is but an extension of this notion of freedom. Of course, it goes without saying that you notify those who can be influenced by your exercising the right to opt for nonexistence of that you will quit leading your life, just like you do when you quit your job. About the opinion that one's life has too big an effect on others to be excised intentionally, I object that all other behaviors which are done very frequently in our lives also influence those around him/her and that the intensity or degree of that impact may well be different quantitatively but not qualitatively.

2.In limited occasions such as an explicitly incurable and so painful disease. One of the biggest reasons for suicide I think is because he/she is extremely afraid of the unpredictable and probably tragic future. However, as we know from our experience of life, many of them will turn out trivial and not worth such agonies and anguish. I think minors are still in lack of the experience and mental ability to determine whether or not what they're worrying about is this kind of thing so that they shouldn't be given the right to give up on what can never be regained. So I think my reason is the same as that for liquor or cigarettes; absence of ability to use them properly or opportunely.

3.Scarcely had I written down this topic than I was reminded of some of my old friends who defied one another to do insanely dangerous mischief like hanging from the banister of a skyscraper. No doubt that some kids will try to use the booth right before the suicide process is completed in order to prove their courage(well, actually not courage but just insanity.).

Plus, I would appreciate it if you recommended some animes or mangas featuring suicide.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 1, 2015 6:57 AM
Jul 2018
Is the right to commit suicide to be legalized?

No.
Jul 1, 2015 6:58 AM

Dec 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember suicide booths in futurama.
Jul 1, 2015 7:06 AM

Aug 2014
_Charl said:
Is the right to commit suicide to be legalized?

No.
Why not? We're always told "You can do whatever you want with your life". Why is it that when it comes to suicide, suddenly we can't do what we want?
Jul 1, 2015 7:07 AM
Jul 2018
MechaKiryu said:
_Charl said:

No.
Why not? We're always told "You can do whatever you want with your life".

Sorry, but my :religion: tell me that.
Jul 1, 2015 7:21 AM

Oct 2012
Suicide isn't illegal here.
Suicide booths as envisioned in Futurama are a bad idea.
Too many people will die who could have benefited from alternative treatment, or who were forced in.

Suicide with a doctor's supervision, following your consent, an interview as to why you would like to die, and offers/ attempts at remedies to your suicidal condition... that's fine.

It's better that people go through a doctor, someone who would try to steer them away from suicide if they could, and at least make sure they died painlessly if they could not... than people attempt things less thought-out and potentially more painful when really they are looking to end pain.

It is better to live than to die, most of the time, but it is nobody's right to force another human being to live just so they can be a background character in the stories of other people, whilst hating their own.

~ join the MAL suicide pact! ~ ~ ★☭★ ~ ~ embrace nuclear annihilation! ~
Jul 1, 2015 7:27 AM

Jun 2015
I really hate how people look down on people who commit suicide. I hear it all too often. Things like "If that idiot killed himself, then he probably deserved it. What a selfish prick."

Yes of course, suicide is selfish. But it's still a valid fucking choice. If a person doesn't want to live, then they have every right to choose to do so.

So yes. Suicide should be legal, and it shouldn't be looked down on. People need to stop acting like guru's on life, and let people do what the fuck they want.

Errrr. I kind of went off on a rant... Sorry ~
Feel free to chat to me ~
Jul 1, 2015 7:32 AM

Jan 2013
MechaKiryu said:
_Charl said:

No.
Why not? We're always told "You can do whatever you want with your life". Why is it that when it comes to suicide, suddenly we can't do what we want?
People don't want to feel sad lol
Jul 1, 2015 7:34 AM
Jul 2018
MechaKiryu said:
_Charl said:

Sorry, but my :religion: tell me that.
Go figure...

Personally, if people want to commit suicide, I wouldn't give a shit about it. It's their choice tbh. However, ima religious person, 'they' would call me a heretic if I say, "Idgaf, it's their life, not my life."
Sure, it's complicated.
Jul 1, 2015 7:38 AM
May 2009
People always have a choice.
Regardless of the reason of why they take their own life. I can not judge.
So may take their own life in exchange to save another.
Some will take it to repent for sins
Some will take it to regain their Honour
Others to escape from troubles and what can only be considered a living hell.

Should it be legal? This again depends on what the law is trying to do.

In reality you can't punish a dead man. Other than to seize their estate for the state treasury. But I doubt the public would take to kindly to that idea.

To be honest I don't think Suicide is illegal where I live, I know it is in some countries. But because I don't believe it is illegal, there is no reason to make it legal.
Jul 1, 2015 8:19 AM

Mar 2013
I don't think anyone wants to commit suicide if they can help it.
Jul 1, 2015 8:21 AM

Jan 2015
If people wants to legalize all, why not just burn the constitution and make an anarchic state? people wants anarchy it seems
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jul 1, 2015 8:29 AM
May 2015
It doesn't matter is suicide is legalized or not. It would make absolutely no difference. Dead people don't care about the law. People who want to commit suicide do it regardless of whether or not it's legal, because they won't be sticking around for the consequences.

Anyone who says that suicide being illegal is what's stopping them from doing it is a liar, and only wants comfort or attention. They don't really want to die, and they wont bring themselves to do it, so it's pointless to worry about them.
Jul 1, 2015 8:51 AM

Sep 2013
There are many reasons for people to choose suicide. Those who choose suicide because of a terminal illness are different from those facing stress at work or school. The former is unable to change the situation he is in while the latter can seek help.

The law sets the boundaries for what is acceptable in society. IMO it is acceptable to choose to end your life to shorten your suffering as the result of a terminal illness. However, choosing to do so because of other reasons would not solve anything. The suicide booths would turn into a kind of 'rubbish dump' for people who can't cope in the current society instead of trying to change society to accommodate these very people.

Potential for misuse is also very high and it may become a tool for murder. Minors have their whole lives in front of them and it would be a shame to end it so quickly. They are also very impressionable and bullies might even knowingly bully their victim into using those booths.
Jul 1, 2015 9:42 AM

Mar 2014
Majority of the decisions people take under depression are illogical and nonsense anyway. Providing them the option of suicide would be giving them a free ticket to end their lives without struggling. Too damn inefficient, I will never concede for suicide.

By antagonizing suicide, you prevent majority of those decisions. Yes, suicide does become justified under a few circumstances but all hell has to break loose before one reaches those circumstances. Better to prevent the disease than to look a cure for it.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Jul 1, 2015 9:44 AM

Aug 2014
Don't try suiciding.
Jul 1, 2015 10:01 AM

Oct 2014
I think it should be properly administered by a doctor. In the US I've heard that people are required to have less than six months to live in order to be allowed assisted suicide. This does make sense, but if an athlete becomes a paraplegic and doesn't have any reason to live anymore, we shouldn't force them to live the rest of their life if they won't enjoy it. Suicide for short-term depression is harder to justify.
Jul 1, 2015 10:04 AM

Jan 2015
This is a tough one, while i believe everyone should have the ability to take their own life and subsequent death into their own hands I don't believe we should do things that would encourage or make suicide a social norm. By making suicide a readily available choice that anyone could make at a whim you are in turn making depression, anxiety, PTSD, and other mental health issues into a potentially increasingly more "terminal" illness. In other words by making it more readily available and relatively easy you don't give a person the opportunity to possibly rethink their options and or their choice, for the greatest deterrent of suicide is time.
Jul 1, 2015 10:07 AM

Dec 2014
Yes, for suicide booths. I wouldn't use them, just build them.
Jul 1, 2015 10:32 AM
Jul 2018
Doesn't matter if its legal or not. No one is going to chase the person through death and bring them to court.

I wouldn't mind having these booths installed. It's their own life, people can do what they want.
Jul 1, 2015 10:34 AM

Mar 2013
RedTie47 said:
Doesn't matter if its legal or not. No one is going to chase the person through death and bring them to court.

I wouldn't mind having these booths installed. It's their own life, people can do what they want.

But what about mental illness, ya know, depression and all that? Should we allow people to die when they're not in a good mental state?
Jul 1, 2015 10:51 AM
Jul 2018
PeripheralVision said:

But what about mental illness, ya know, depression and all that? Should we allow people to die when they're not in a good mental state?

I don't think its up to anyone but them to get treatment, no one should force it into them. Plus we don't have the right to keep anyone alive when their entire existence is a burden. The wrong thing to do imo is not allow them the relief they so desperately want.
Jul 1, 2015 10:56 AM

Jan 2014
It's only a matter of time.

OT: Suicide is a preversion, so no.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 1, 2015 10:57 AM

Mar 2013
RedTie47 said:
PeripheralVision said:

I don't think its up to anyone but them to get treatment, no one should force it into them. Plus we don't have the right to keep anyone alive when their entire existence is a burden. The wrong thing to do imo is not allow them the relief they so desperately want.

That's where I disagree. If people can't make decisions for themselves then they shouldn't. I think the fact is we should force people into treatment. In fact we already do. We should live in a society where we take care of the ill and downtrodden, even at the expense of certain liberties, and I believe this is one of those cases where the government has to step in to prevent people from hurting themselves. After all, do we allow prison inmates to commit suicide? How about regular citizens? You see, no one wants to die, and they shouldn't feel forced. It's a sort of...paranoia? Iunno.
Jul 1, 2015 11:01 AM

Jan 2014
PeripheralVision said:
RedTie47 said:

That's where I disagree. If people can't make decisions for themselves then they shouldn't. I think the fact is we should force people into treatment. In fact we already do. We should live in a society where we take care of the ill and downtrodden, even at the expense of certain liberties, and I believe this is one of those cases where the government has to step in to prevent people from hurting themselves. After all, do we allow prison inmates to commit suicide? How about regular citizens? You see, no one wants to die, and they shouldn't feel forced. It's a sort of...paranoia? Iunno.

That's awfully bigoted of you! What gives you the right to validate someone else's decisions? It's their life, stop being a control freak! (sarcasm).
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 1, 2015 11:06 AM
Jul 2018
PeripheralVision said:

Treatment isn't guaranteed to work for all. What will you do with those who can't be helped with any kind of medication and therapy? Will you still keep them here suffering just to fulfill the selfish wish of someone that's not in their shoes taking the pain?
Jul 1, 2015 11:14 AM

Mar 2013
RedTie47 said:
PeripheralVision said:

Treatment isn't guaranteed to work for all. What will you do with those who can't be helped with any kind of medication and therapy? Will you still keep them here suffering just to fulfill the selfish wish of someone that's not in their shoes taking the pain?
I don't think you realize how effective treatments are. And yes, I would, unless we're talking physical pain, for which case there are methods already available.

Here's the thing, by opening the floodgates to more accessible suicides you threaten to unleash the treatable in there. And to an extent, everyone is treatable. This isn't about letting the "untreatable "die, this is about the commercialization of suicide into being more accessible. But with it are consequences. Treatable people die, and that's unnecessary.

If we don't allow people with mental illness to make even the most basic decisions such as healthcare, etc, how can we expect them to pull then plug?
Jul 1, 2015 11:20 AM

Mar 2014
Please no >.<

I have my reasons for saying this that I'm not comfortable with sharing, but a device such as a suicide booth will not be a pleasant thought.

Their are many people who have random stints where they feel like commiting it, but afterwards they regret ever thinking it. Having access to an easy device to do it will basically make these people who do have a liking to their most of.their lives consider the implications less due to the public access as well as legality.
"I am the Bone of my Sword
Steel is my Body and Fire is my Blood
I have created over a Thousand Blades
Unaware of Loss,
Nor aware of Gain.
Withstood Pain to create Weapons, Waiting for one’s Arrival
I have no Regrets. This is the only Path
My whole life was Unlimited Blade Works"
Jul 1, 2015 11:36 AM
May 2015
People who choose suicide are weak people and they need treatment.They have given up on life because they can't stand anymore their miserable reality.Suicide is not ok.It musn't be legalized.You didn't give life to yourself.God who gave you life and created your soul.It's up to you what you do in life,but suicide is not.You know what?Only god can take a life or not.Everything happens for a reason,and when someone goes through hard times its ok.If someone didn't fall over and over,he wouldn't have learned his mistakes.What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.FOR my rest of my life i wouldn't regret any mistakes i made or bad things that happened and ruined my life.WHY?Because behind every single fall there is a lesson,and if i hadn't fall, i wouldn't know that important lesson.Those defeats and falls are the things that made me the person i am today.I don't feel sad about anything bad that is happening with me because everything happens for a reason and i trust god in everything.Some people escape their reality by doing suicide,but it is just plain wrong.Legalizing it is like saying that suicide is ok.And it's not.
-______m-Jul 3, 2015 6:19 AM
Jul 1, 2015 11:39 AM
Jul 2018
PeripheralVision said:
]I don't think you realize how effective treatments are. And yes, I would, unless we're talking physical pain, for which case there are methods already available.

Here's the thing, by opening the floodgates to more accessible suicides you threaten to unleash the treatable in there. And to an extent, everyone is treatable. This isn't about letting the "untreatable "die, this is about the commercialization of suicide into being more accessible. But with it are consequences. Treatable people die, and that's unnecessary.

If we don't allow people with mental illness to make even the most basic decisions such as healthcare, etc, how can we expect them to pull then plug?

I wouldn't call the treatment we have now effective. First of all, talk therapy is basically useless. You spend good money on tips and tricks that anyone can get off the internet. More often than not you get stuck with a therapist that doesn't really care about the patient at all and is content with just taking money.

The other choice we have is putting them under anti-depressants. Medicine that often comes with the warning that it can actually "produce" feelings of suicide and a host of other complicated side effects. A lot of times you even have to try different combinations of anti-depressants in order to find the one that works uniquely for them. This could take forever, time that the patient doesn't really have because he is in critical pain.

Plus if you take their own freedoms away, who exactly are they living for?
removed-userJul 1, 2015 11:43 AM
Jul 1, 2015 11:43 AM

Feb 2013
I never knew suicide was illegal in the first place.
If you kill yourself you go to jail or what?
Jul 1, 2015 11:45 AM

Mar 2014
Ulquiorra1923 said:
I never knew suicide was illegal in the first place.
If you kill yourself you go to jail or what?

You go to jail in the afterlife.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Jul 1, 2015 11:46 AM

Aug 2014
Syrup- said:
MechaKiryu said:
People don't want to feel sad lol
Wait, what?
Jul 1, 2015 11:53 AM

Jul 2014
No
Jul 1, 2015 4:06 PM

Jun 2012
MechaKiryu said:
_Charl said:

No.

Wrong, we can't do whatever we want in life, it's called morality. In most countries it's illegal to kill people. We don't own our bodies, because we didn't create them. Our parents created us but they don't own us either, because they used their bodies to create us, which they don't own. And it goes on forever. Meaning you can't kill yourself because you don't have the right.
Shoot first, think never.
Jul 1, 2015 4:10 PM

Jun 2011
Open-Dice said:
MechaKiryu said:
Why not? We're always told &quot;You can do whatever you want with your life&quot;. Why is it that when it comes to suicide, suddenly we can't do what we want?

Wrong, we can't do whatever we want in life, it's called morality. In most countries it's illegal to kill people. We don't own our bodies, because we didn't create them. Our parents created us but they don't own us either, because they used their bodies to create us, which they don't own. And it goes on forever. Meaning you can't kill yourself because you don't have the right.
fuck that, I have the right.... if I want to taste a gun barrel that's my business
Jul 1, 2015 4:12 PM

Aug 2014
Killaclown said:
Open-Dice said:

fuck that, I have the right.... if I want to taste a gun barrel that's my business
This is sums up what I was going to write.
Jul 1, 2015 4:13 PM

May 2012
Open-Dice said:
MechaKiryu said:

This logic makes no sense. If I bought something from the store, it is MINE. If you take it from me, you have stolen something I own. Just because I didn't create something, doesn't mean I don't own it.

And lol at we do not own our bodies. I can cut of my dick, I can get tattoos, I can do as much drugs(legal) as I want and no one can stop me.

Did you think this through?
Jul 1, 2015 5:06 PM

Jun 2012
PoeticJustice said:

I can cut of my dick

By all means do so if that's what the laws allow. But in an ideal society, the laws are there to stop people bringing harm to themselves and others, and people like that should instead be institutionalized and psychologically treated for their insanity.

Same goes for anyone who wants to kill themselves... They are mentally ill.
Jul 1, 2015 5:10 PM

Aug 2014
Open-Dice said:
PoeticJustice said:

I can cut of my dick

By all means do so if that's what the laws allow. But in an ideal society, the laws are there to stop people bringing harm to themselves and others, and people like that should instead be institutionalized and psychologically treated for their insanity.

Laws against it? WTF? What do they do with you? Take your dead body to court and lock you up in jail?
Jul 1, 2015 5:12 PM

Jun 2011
MechaKiryu said:
Open-Dice said:

Laws against it? WTF? What do they do with you? Take your dead body to court and lock you up in jail?
if you fail they will lock u up in an institution
Jul 1, 2015 5:14 PM

Aug 2014
Killaclown said:
MechaKiryu said:
Well that's messed up.
Jul 1, 2015 5:15 PM

Mar 2014
MechaKiryu said:
Killaclown said:
Well that's messed up.
they get you help. Which usually makes you want to kill yourself more.
Unaware of Loss,
Nor aware of Gain.
Jul 1, 2015 5:18 PM

Aug 2014
Rumanshi-xanic said:
MechaKiryu said:
Well that's messed up.
Let me guess, by help, do you mean shitty drugs? If so, I would want to kill myself even more if I had to take those too.
Jul 1, 2015 5:18 PM
May 2015
2-methylgeniol said:
Majority of the decisions people take under depression are illogical and nonsense anyway. Providing them the option of suicide would be giving them a free ticket to end their lives without struggling. Too damn inefficient, I will never concede for suicide.

By antagonizing suicide, you prevent majority of those decisions. Yes, suicide does become justified under a few circumstances but all hell has to break loose before one reaches those circumstances. Better to prevent the disease than to look a cure for it.

This idea that I've never come up with really impressed me cuz I think this opinion is in line with why liquor or cigarettes are forbidden to minors; lack of ability to think and determine reasonably enough. I really appreciate your sharp opinion.
Jul 1, 2015 5:20 PM

Mar 2014
MechaKiryu said:
Rumanshi-xanic said:
Let me guess, by help, do you mean shitty drugs? If so, I would want to kill myself even more if I had to take those too.

Nah, they make you talk to them about your problems. Which you don't want to tell anyone. Then you make up shit to tell them and then they try and fix these made up problems.
Unaware of Loss,
Nor aware of Gain.
Jul 1, 2015 5:21 PM
May 2015
By the way, I'm sorry if I used incorrect or opaque expressions so that you misconstrue no.1.
With 'legalize the right to commit suicide', I mean providing some social tools to commit suicide not punishing the dead.
Jul 1, 2015 5:26 PM

Mar 2014
prkbjoctght said:
By the way, I'm sorry if I used incorrect or opaque expressions so that you misconstrue no.1.
With 'legalize the right to commit suicide', I mean providing some social tools to commit suicide not punishing the dead.
please no. I wouldn't be here if there were, and if there was some sort of afterlife, I would regret it.
Unaware of Loss,
Nor aware of Gain.
Jul 1, 2015 5:42 PM
May 2015
Open-Dice said:
MechaKiryu said:

Nice. I think you successfully confuted my opinion that there is a quantitative difference but no qualitative difference. This is a reason I couldn't think of for denying one's total ownership of his/her life. Not from the influence our existence has but from who and what contributed to our existence. Certainly, I cannot help conceding that no small part of my existence is not only from my own and that I owe some of what I am now to my parents, my relatives, my friends, and finally this society and country which I belong to. I hazard a guess that this kind of idea that one's existence is half from him/herself and the other half from the society he/she lives in can help solve many moral dilemmas such as the draft(Here in S.Korea, all men are obliged to serve the army for about 2 years. There are so many people averse to this. I, however, agree with conscription per se but want for this system to be implemented more fairly and justly inasmuch as many of the established successfully circumvent their obligations.)
Jul 1, 2015 5:45 PM

Jun 2012
prkbjoctght said:
Open-Dice said:

Nice. I think you successfully confuted my opinion that there is a quantitative difference but no qualitative difference. This is a reason I couldn't think of for denying one's total ownership of his/her life. Not from the influence our existence has but from who and what contributed to our existence. Certainly, I cannot help conceding that no small part of my existence is not only from my own and that I owe some of what I am now to my parents, my relatives, my friends, and finally this society and country which I belong to. I hazard a guess that this kind of idea that one's existence is half from him/herself and the other half from the society he/she lives in can help solve many moral dilemmas such as the draft(Here in S.Korea, all men are obliged to serve the army for about 2 years. There are so many people averse to this. I, however, agree with conscription per se but want for this system to be implemented more fairly and justly inasmuch as many of the established successfully circumvent their obligations.)

Good point.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Apr 24

20 by deg »»
43 minutes ago

» Who is the most perverted person you irl ?

Thy-Veseveia - 11 hours ago

9 by tsukareru »»
43 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - 5 hours ago

9 by Otakupervert890 »»
1 hour ago

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

39 by ProGoddess »»
2 hours ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

25 by KitsuFrost »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.