Forum Settings
Forums
New
Rate the Dressrosa Arc
Jun 30, 2015 5:45 PM
Jun 2015
What do you think about it? What did you like/didn't like about it?

In my opinion it was better than FI and Punk Hazard (very weak arcs in general)
I would rate it a 7/10, it was good but could have been a lot better

I hope Oda returns to Pre-time skip greatness soon (we need another Water 7/Enies Lobby type of arc)

What I liked:

- the first half was great, until Bird Cage it was very well paced and ultimately made me expect more than what we got

- some awesome new characters (Kyros, Viola, Cavendish, Bartolomeo etc.), also Doffy is probably one of the best villians in OP so far

- Laws flashback was very well done (classic Oda style), I really felt for the guy, also poor Corazon

- Doflamingo vs Luffy was the only good fight in this arc, not a fan of Gear 4 but it was still satisfying

What I didn't like:

- Doflamingo's crew was a joke, I can't believe these guys made it this far in the new world,they had potential but turned out to pathetic and got owned by everyone

-most fights were also rather underwhelming as Oda never really focused on one fight und just skipped over them until he ended them in a unsatisfying matter with one shots

- lack of focus on the Straw hats, getting rid of half the crew was just lazy and the others didn't fare much better
I like OP because of the Straw hats and their interactions, the Colloseum group wasn't really interesting (apart from Cavendish and Bart), I feel they got way too much focus

- Gear 4 looks ridiculous and ugly, after the epicness of Gear 2 this was a let down

- Rebecca was useless (basically just cried for 90 chapters) and a very weak character, not a fan of the Tontattas either (like the kids in PH they just seem to be there for the forced feels)
Maou293Jun 30, 2015 5:58 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 30, 2015 8:07 PM

Feb 2010
6/10 Dressrosa Arc.

10x better than previous post time-skip arcs.
And the only thing I liked about the Dressrosa Arc would be Bartolomeo & Sabo obtaining Ace's Mera Mera no Mi.

Everything else dragged on a bit too long, it felt like I was reading another Alabasta Arc (Rebecca/Vivi; and I didn't like that arc as well lol).

Luffy's 4th Gear reminded me of his Thriller Bark days, and I think he'd entertainingly fight well with Kung-Fu Point Chopper.

Hoping they can move off quickly so Law can reunite with his crew.
Jul 1, 2015 3:35 AM

Mar 2012
1/10

The arc had one redeeming factor and that was the flashback. The rest was somewhat garbage.

- Doflamingo's character was ruined, and now he's just another generic evil guy.
- Again, we have to bear through lots of unimportant side characters, strawhats or otherwise, deal with fodder to fluff up the length of the story needlessly.
- Way too much action, and none of it was any good. No clever tricks, no emotional impact. Just throwing punches.
- The story was lazily written. Once again Luffy simply has to clamber up the fodder ladder to get to the main villain (who's not any better), and the conflict is that the guy is just "really really bad and has to go away"
- It was extremely long and not at all needed. A 100 chapters for something that could have been skipped altogether. The whole thing was filler. This is the second worst offender of this crime in manga after the Shinobi War Arc.

I still haven't watched the latest 20 chapters but I doubt they're any better. So my score won't change and I already voted.
End Zionazism
Jul 1, 2015 8:48 AM
May 2015
4/10

Now that it's ended (I hope) my rating should stabilise here. This arc is one of the rare ones where the build up was never worth it. But unlike most people I haven't lost faith in One Piece just yet.

Mikasa said:
1/10

I still haven't watched the latest 20 chapters but I doubt they're any better. So my score won't change and I already voted.

Oh boy, you gave it such a low score yet haven't even watched the worst part yet. There will be a lot of skippable chapters (like the last one), Doffy will become a fodder and the whole "Luffy must be the one to fight the main villain" formula will be brought to a whole new nonsensical level.

Still, 1/10 is too low, I mean how would you rate LRLL arc then?
Jul 1, 2015 8:56 AM

Aug 2014
4/10 it's dragged too long.
Jul 1, 2015 9:14 AM

Jun 2013
Rating things is kinda... whatever I'd say 7/10, since '7' is good here, it was a good arc. Had great moments in it. However it did fail a lot, focusing on character like the Tonataras, I mean will they be all that important to the overall story??

Felt really dragged, fights were underwhelming. It did have some cool things to it tho, like the reveal of Sabo, Law's past (and by this I mean Corazone, since the thing before we got introduce to Corazone, we've seen that before, similar to Robin), Gear 4th (many were disappointed, tho by now I got used to it, and it's design its cool).
Jul 1, 2015 9:19 AM

Nov 2014
6-7/10 for me. It had some excellent moments Sabo, Sanji + big mom, Gear 4, Laws past etc.
However I thought it dragged on a bit too much. Some characters seemed useless and the fights weren't that great.
Jul 1, 2015 1:39 PM

Mar 2012
Marco86 said:
4/10

Now that it's ended (I hope) my rating should stabilise here. This arc is one of the rare ones where the build up was never worth it. But unlike most people I haven't lost faith in One Piece just yet.

Mikasa said:
1/10

Oh boy, you gave it such a low score yet haven't even watched the worst part yet. There will be a lot of skippable chapters (like the last one), Doffy will become a fodder and the whole "Luffy must be the one to fight the main villain" formula will be brought to a whole new nonsensical level.

Simply a 0/10. As with Fishman Island. Zero redeeming factors.
PH I gave 1/10 as well because the end of 698-700 were cool and Doflamingo upped the ante, though now that he turned out to be a joke it should technically be a 0 as well.
End Zionazism
Jul 1, 2015 3:43 PM
Jun 2015
Mikasa said:
Marco86 said:
4/10

PH I gave 1/10 as well because the end of 698-700 were cool and Doflamingo upped the ante, though now that he turned out to be a joke it should technically be a 0 as well.

The post time skip arcs aren't perfect but you are just exaggerating as hell
0/10? 1/10? C'mon

Why are you even reading at this point if you hate it this much?
Jul 1, 2015 4:10 PM

Mar 2012
8animet said:
Mikasa said:

The post time skip arcs aren't perfect but you are just exaggerating as hell
0/10? 1/10? C'mon

Why are you even reading at this point if you hate it this much?

I'm not. If I never liked anything about the arc why give it points? Pity points?

I don't even know why I put up with it anymore. This recent arc was the last straw, if the next doesn't impress, I may have to drop the manga as well.
End Zionazism
Jul 1, 2015 5:53 PM
Jan 2014
Isn't over but right now 8/10.
Jul 1, 2015 10:23 PM

Dec 2013
Overall it's probably is a 7-8/10

It definitely had it's moments but it was too dragged out.
Jul 1, 2015 10:58 PM
Jul 2018
A solid 8/10.
Jul 1, 2015 11:28 PM

Apr 2010
5/10

Those side characters dragged the story. It consumed a lot of pages. I just hope Oda would give a good role on those characters.
Jul 2, 2015 12:01 AM

Mar 2009
4/10. Only thing that got my hyped was Sabo's return. I still remember that chapter. Great stuff. In fact, anything with Sabo was pretty good, and a breath of fresh air in this very long arc.

I didn't even give a shit about Gear Fourth.
Jul 2, 2015 12:38 AM

Mar 2012
Seems many people are giving it 1/10 and other low scores
End Zionazism
Jul 2, 2015 7:12 AM
Jun 2015
Mikasa said:

Even though 1/10 is too low, this arc was definitely overhyped so no wonder that people are disappointed

Everyone expected greatness which we didn't get
Jul 2, 2015 7:44 AM
Mar 2015
6/10, can't believe this arc started March 2013. 20 freaking 13.
Jul 2, 2015 8:03 AM

Aug 2010
Potential was 10/10 with the dragging I'd say 8/10
Jul 2, 2015 8:54 AM
Jul 2018
Mikasa said:
And in other places it scored far higher with significantly more voters. http://poll.pollcode.com/13974455_result?v.
Jul 2, 2015 9:23 AM

Jun 2013
GunplaIsFreedom said:
Mikasa said:
And in other places it scored far higher with significantly more voters. http://poll.pollcode.com/13974455_result?v.

People have different tastes, I thought it was good, it had great moments, but some were really bad... I get why people are upset, it was pretty hyped, and Doffy himself was a pretty hyped villain, it just didn't do that much (for me), fights were underwhelming, Doffy vs. Luffy was somewhat decent, but the whole 10 minutes stuff, was 'meh' for me. Hope it'll be better in the future ^ ^
Jul 2, 2015 9:32 AM
Mar 2014
This arc was a 7.5/10

People who are giving it less than a 5 have no clue what they're talking about, and should drop the manga as of this chapter. Seriously, why would anyone ever read something that they considered 1/10??

Idiots
Jul 2, 2015 9:52 AM

Nov 2013
I'd give it a 6,5

First half was really nice. Dofla, the toys, the Mera Mera no mi, Sabo, Big Mom, CP0, Sugar fainting ... 10/10

Second half was terrible. The flashback and 1 or 2 other chapters were cool. Other than that it was shit. 50 chapters that should have been done in 25. 3/10
short_reviewJul 3, 2015 12:47 AM
Jul 2, 2015 10:24 AM

Aug 2013
8.5-9/10

It could have been shorter.Anw this arc is one of the most important ones for what is going to unfold but I'm not here to convince people or to try and change their minds.

I will agree in a certain degree with the OP about DDs crew,it was disappontment for me.
Jul 2, 2015 10:35 AM
Jul 2018
short_review said:
I'd give it a 6,5

First half was really nice. Dofla, the toys, Sabo, Sugar fainting ... 10/10

Second half was terrible. The flashback and 1 or 2 other chapters were cool. Other than that it was shit. 50 chapters that should have been done in 25. 3/10
Funnily enough I actually think the first half was the part that is noticeably longer than usual. 3-4 volumes of fighting and flashbacks is pretty typical of a long OP arc (Alabasta, Skypiea, EL, Thriller Bark and Marineford all fall into this range). It is much rarer for the build up portion of an arc to be as long as it was in Dressrosa.
Jul 2, 2015 10:47 AM

Nov 2010
short_review said:
I'd give it a 6,5

First half was really nice. Dofla, the toys, Sabo, Sugar fainting ... 10/10

Yeah, first 40 chapters of this arc had been amazing, but then Oda made some very stupid decisions that dragged the arc forever and made the climax underwhelming. Nevertheless, there were plenty of great moments spread throughout but the climax as a whole did not live up to the expecatations.

So 7/10 from me so far, might bump it up to 7.5 or even 8 if Oda drops something amazing at the very end.
Jul 2, 2015 10:50 AM

Mar 2012
3/10. It was long and boring. So boring that I stopped like half way now I need to catch up.
Jul 2, 2015 11:02 AM

Feb 2013
10/10, like all the arcs from One Piece.
Jul 2, 2015 11:56 AM
Jun 2015
Too draggy...
Jul 2, 2015 12:05 PM

Jun 2015
Some of you guys are really harsh lmao.

Some crazy stuff happened in this arc. Big Mom showing up and Sabo returning. These events made this arc the best post-time skip arc so far. I was happy until the birdcage came into play. That's when the arc started to drag out and become dull. I'm sure Oda has his reasons for doing this. Whenever he spends so much time on an event, it usually has great significance later on in the story. I assume the straw-hats will face something similar in the future and thus be able to deal with it more swiftly thanks to this experience in Dressrosa.

I'll give it an 8/10. A definite improvement from Punk Hazard
Jul 2, 2015 1:06 PM

Feb 2015
i rate it 7/10
i don't know why but the 'hype' starting post-marinefold arc has been down from Epic to standard...
anyway i'm glad this turned that way...

have more respect for Fujitora...
i hope he's the same type as Smoker and Kuzan....

Jul 2, 2015 2:28 PM

Apr 2014
-Perfect First Half, Classic One Piece at it's finest. +2
-Introduction of new character that I quite like (Fujitora, Barto, Cave n Dish, Sabo) +1
-Luffy made a lot of new friend that actually able to help him in the future. +1
-The birth of new God. +1
-The Villain(Mingo and d'gang) and the supporting cast(Kyros, Rebecca, Viola). +1
-Luffy new Gear. +2
-Zoro new 'Black Sword' and Sabo win the Flare Fruit.+1
-More insight to the future event (Fujitora motive, Reverie, Kaido etc) +1.
-Law Past with Corazon and some info about the D's. +1
-No Sunny team showed since they're last suicide mission. -1.
-Really Dragged out second half with the Tontatta and stuff -2.

Overall 8/10
tr1ckst3rJul 2, 2015 2:31 PM
Jul 2, 2015 2:33 PM

Apr 2010
For me, this was the worst One Piece arc, unfortunally.
It had so many great possibilities, and the only good things were Law's past and Usopp becoming a hero.
- Corrida Coliseu? Bad.
- All the side characters introduced? Terrible bad.
- Dozens of chapters dedicated to these people that we didn't care. Not meaning the royal family, but about those fighters.
- Half of Luffy's crew disappeared.
- Fujitora and Sabo were both underused.
- All the fights were fragmented and diluted during so many chapters. Trying to follow Zoro's fight was a nightmare.
- Gear 4th. Urgh.
- The final battle was just... lame.
- All this dragged over 2 years and a half.

I really hope that Oda gets his s**t together for whatever comes next.

4/10
Jul 2, 2015 3:50 PM

Mar 2012
It's a 7.5/10.

Like the majority of people say, the buildup of this arc was really good, it brought in new characters and questions.But the arc dragged out too long, and was quite poorly written.

The reveal and confirmation of Sabo to still be alive was definitely worth the hype over with him eating the Mera Mera no Mi, but still was given no coverage pre-timeskip on what he was doing (I assume this will be shown later though, maybe soon).

Fujitora is definitely the best Admiral currently now (of course, we havent seen the other new one), but how humble he is definitely makes him to be a good guy.

New pirates were alright, but I think were given too much time and dragged out. Oda spread out different fights and keeps jumping one from another which made it lack focus, and thus, lowered the enjoyment of any fight in the series.

It's also ridiculous how weak Doflamingo's executives are, far from their Captain's power level, it surprises me how they were able to fair off in the New World with that kind of strength, they were utterly portrayed as fodder in this arc, each and every of them were defeated with a single attack which seemed easily avoidable.
Even the coliseum fighters are fodder, except for Bartolomeo, and the Tontattas. There were a lot of characters that shouldn't have the amount of screen time that they were given.

Just like how Kuroko ended, I felt like Luffy won against Doflamingo due to the sake of him being the protagonist, in reality, Luffy should never have been able to beat Doflamingo in a one on one (though there was some part of Law helping him defeat him so that can be used as an excuse I guess).
skwok-ravenJul 2, 2015 3:53 PM

"Have you ever encounter a wild beast that guarantees to never bite anyone?" ~ Roronoa Zoro
Jul 2, 2015 4:10 PM
Jun 2015
Raven-kun said:
It's a 7.5/10.

Like the majority of people say, the buildup of this arc was really good, it brought in new characters and questions.But the arc dragged out too long, and was quite poorly written.

The reveal and confirmation of Sabo to still be alive was definitely worth the hype over with him eating the Mera Mera no Mi, but still was given no coverage pre-timeskip on what he was doing (I assume this will be shown later though, maybe soon).

Fujitora is definitely the best Admiral currently now (of course, we havent seen the other new one), but how humble he is definitely makes him to be a good guy.

New pirates were alright, but I think were given too much time and dragged out. Oda spread out different fights and keeps jumping one from another which made it lack focus, and thus, lowered the enjoyment of any fight in the series.

It's also ridiculous how weak Doflamingo's executives are, far from their Captain's power level, it surprises me how they were able to fair off in the New World with that kind of strength, they were utterly portrayed as fodder in this arc, each and every of them were defeated with a single attack which seemed easily avoidable.
Even the coliseum fighters are fodder, except for Bartolomeo, and the Tontattas. There were a lot of characters that shouldn't have the amount of screen time that they were given.

Just like how Kuroko ended, I felt like Luffy won against Doflamingo due to the sake of him being the protagonist, in reality, Luffy should never have been able to beat Doflamingo in a one on one (though there was some part of Law helping him defeat him so that can be used as an excuse I guess).

Agreed on all points
Oda focused way too much on the Colloseum fighters, except Bart and Cavendish they were all fairly forgettable, a shame half the crew was shafted in favour of them

Doffy's crew was a complete joke, I expected difficult 1v1 fights with the Straw hats (think Enies Lobby or Alabasta) and instead we got lame and unsatisfying fights that ended abruptly
Jul 3, 2015 12:21 AM

Mar 2009
ProtonShift said:

Some crazy stuff happened in this arc. Big Mom showing up and Sabo returning.

But Oda did nothing with Big Mom.
Jul 3, 2015 12:55 AM

Jun 2011
DiegoCCamara said:
It had so many great possibilities, and the only good things were Law's past and Usopp becoming a hero.
- Corrida Coliseu? Bad.
- Dozens of chapters dedicated to these people that we didn't care. Not meaning the royal family, but about those fighters.
- All the fights were fragmented and diluted during so many chapters. Trying to follow Zoro's fight was a nightmare.
- Gear 4th. Urgh.

4/10
Sadly, Fujitora being underused was the intention. As for your last point, it could've been wrapped up within 2 years if not for the constant break which should be understandable by real fans of One Piece.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jul 3, 2015 1:14 AM

Mar 2012
Holy crap 7 1s and 20+ 4s... It's kinda nice that people are less biased toward the series and more are giving it what it deserves.

ProtonShift said:

Some crazy stuff happened in this arc. Big Mom showing up and Sabo returning. These events made this arc the best post-time skip arc so far. I was happy until the birdcage came into play. That's when the arc started to drag out and become dull. I'm sure Oda has his reasons for doing this. Whenever he spends so much time on an event, it usually has great significance later on in the story. I assume the straw-hats will face something similar in the future and thus be able to deal with it more swiftly thanks to this experience in Dressrosa.

I'll give it an 8/10. A definite improvement from Punk Hazard

Except she was completely useless and Sabo returning simply ruined his death, much like Obito's.
End Zionazism
Jul 3, 2015 2:40 AM

Apr 2014
Mikasa said:
1/10

Translation:
"I gave it 1 because I didn't like it even though I didn't read all of it yet and to why I didn't like it? because I didn't like it.lolz."
Jul 3, 2015 2:47 AM

Jun 2013
ToG25thBaam said:
DiegoCCamara said:
- Corrida Coliseu? Bad.
- Gear 4th. Urgh.

4/10
Sadly, Fujitora being underused was the intention. As for your last point, it could've been wrapped up within 2 years if not for the constant break which should be understandable by real fans of One Piece.

Its not because of the breaks, I reread it actually and it still feels dragged in the second half, had some epic moments, fights were underwhelming, it focused too much on certain side characters, I really hope they will be relevant in the next arcs, other wise the stuff with the Tontara and some gladiators will just be there.
Jul 3, 2015 2:56 AM

Jun 2011
metsujin said:
Its not because of the breaks, I reread it actually and it still feels dragged in the second half, had some epic moments, fights were underwhelming, it focused too much on certain side characters, I really hope they will be relevant in the next arcs, other wise the stuff with the Tontara and some gladiators will just be there.
Can't fully deny that (haven't reread it myself tho), but I was mainly talking about the 2 and a half year time duration. Without the breaks the arc would have been done with within 2 years.

tr1ckst3r said:
Mikasa said:
1/10

Translation:
"I gave it 1 because I didn't like it even though I didn't read all of it yet and to why I didn't like it? because I didn't like it.lolz."
One Piece got too popular for it's own sake.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jul 5, 2015 11:07 AM
Jul 2015
I think it was amazing, this is the first real arc post timeskip; in terms of story progression and a visible power up from 2 years training (Punk hazard and fisherman arc annoyed me as it felt like the same crew/luffy from pre-timeskip + haki) also trafalgar law was present thats enough to sell any arc. The only real problem was its pacing, like how the donquixote general got a chapter each when no one really cared about them and the fact it was like 2 years real time, constant 2 weeks of chapters followed by week of breaks ruined the experience for a lot of people but thinking back to it it was a great arc and so much happened. Doflamingo is literally the best villain we've seen in OP the evilness is overwhelming but i love it. Enjoyable parts were that we find out Dolflamingo's past and he's a tenryubito and general godly power level, you find out laws past, the epicness when sago alive was revealed and now with mera mera, luffas gear 4th although looks bad i still love it due to its creativeness which is one piece's niche, i guessed it would be muscle related but never imagined a retraction within the arm, kyros story,generals reveal and plans with shichibukai and I've been left with a conspiracy theory of what an awakened df is, and all the times it has showed cameo appearances since the first chapter.

i rate it a 9/10 arc and guarantee ( i hope anyway) that if you binge read this arc instead of wait week on week (or 2 :/) for a chapter you would rate it highly too
Jul 8, 2015 11:29 AM

Nov 2012
I give it a 5.5/10, It had some awesome characters and scenes, some terrible characters and scenes, that were mostly surrounded by mediocre to decent setup chapters. The pacing is the worst One Piece has ever been, that wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't spent mostly on characters I didn't care for like most of the gladiators, the dwarves, Viola and Rebecca, random citizens etc.
Jul 8, 2015 6:09 PM

Jun 2009
best arc soo far and lots of law luffy even soo the arena parts wernt all soo awesome it was still amusing so 10 of 10 from me for the best arc and best antagonist doffy + flashback is awesome of LAW
Jul 8, 2015 10:54 PM

Sep 2011
I agree with some of your points OP. For me it's a solid 8/10.

The arc dragged on a bit too much towards the end. Some characters were pretty disappointing, especially Rebecca. I also don't like the way Gear 4 looks aesthetically, though I like the idea.

I did enjoy the flashbacks, the town + Colosseum, Kyros, Tontattas, Viola, most of Doffy's crew and the new Admiral. Overall, I think it's the best arc post-timeskip, closely followed by Fishman Island.
Jul 8, 2015 10:58 PM

Mar 2014
Enjoyment = 6/10

Objective rating = 6/10
Jul 10, 2015 12:51 AM

Jan 2014
5-6/10

mediocre arc, even fishman island was more interesting than this garbage
Jul 10, 2015 1:39 AM

Jan 2012
8/10 would be 10/10 if it didn't drag on. it had boring parts about the tontattas/people running away etc
Jul 20, 2015 7:26 AM

Jun 2012
I'm still at the Punk Hazard arc but a friend of mine is hyping the Dressrossa arc like crazy. He told me that the Dressrossa arc is better than the Marineford arc. Is that true? Kinda looking forward to it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 20, 2015 7:27 AM

Jun 2014
VonSchiller said:
I'm still at the Punk Hazard arc but a friend of mine is hyping the Dressrossa arc like crazy. He told me that the Dressrossa arc is better than the Marineford arc. Is that true?
No.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1114 Discussion

AhriTheS3xyFox - May 1

25 by ryzxgum »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1100 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Mei-o_Scarlett - Nov 27, 2023

58 by Xpection »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » You Favourite One Piece Opening?!

UnstableBrat - May 7

16 by Asoockie »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 403 Discussion

VARIAchan - Sep 28, 2010

11 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
May 7, 3:29 PM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 401 Discussion

VARIAchan - Sep 28, 2010

10 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
May 7, 1:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.