Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 »
Dec 13, 2016 11:51 PM

Sep 2016
I really enjoyed this episode it relates to me soo much, shuichi not trying to hurt katou's feelings but at the same time tries to address how he adores someone else, Ive had that problem many times in high school its tough ha also kousaka(bae) with trying to find others who can relate and understand her than just anyone.
Facta Non Verba
Dec 22, 2016 12:45 PM

Aug 2016
frequency15k said:
the shift in uniforms randomly was kinda weird, but overall another great episode

This is a very late reply, so I apologize for that. But their uniforms are different because in Japan, they have seasonal uniforms; different uniforms for the seasons Summer and Winter. As of this episode, they were in their Summer uniforms.
Jan 4, 2017 2:15 PM

Sep 2013
I think black haired girl's words were weird. Main character doesn't feel (at all) like the kind of person who wears a "mask". Or is "mean" (I don't know how it was translated to English, but I guess you get what I'm saying). At best, it seems like she is a sad person... but not a bad one. She has a good heart, but can't handle her feelings that happened in the past. But it doesn't mean her happiness around her friends is fake or anything; it actually just shows she might be overcoming her old misery with this new start.
Feb 7, 2017 5:20 PM
Feb 2017
This episode was just absolutely beautiful. I literally had chills watching it.

Why is it that anime about music always seem to have the best visuals? They already have good audio as backup. This doesn't seem fair. But I guess that just makes it all the more better I guess.

By the way, poor Hazuki. I feel so bad for her mainly because she is probably my favourite character in the anime thus far. She's so freaking cute that's why. Oh well. Let's see what happens next. ^_^
Apr 20, 2017 5:26 PM

Jun 2013
able to come up with a surface level read, but I'd love to read more interpretations.

The way I see it, Kumiko hates confrontation, and so she tries to keep her blunt observations to herself, which she often fails due to her hopelessly impulsive nature; she has an issue with being authentic.
Meanwhile Reina has a distaste for fitting in just for the sake of it, as she's afraid of falling into pretenses: she fears becoming a fake. She doesn't want friends, she wants one friend who really understands her.

And this is where the potential in their relationship comes from: with Reina, Kumiko doesn't have to be afraid to be herself, because Reina's favorite part about her is her bluntness. In return, Kumiko might just help Reina in indulging her spontaneous side more often, just as she did now. After all, it was Kumiko that Reina chose to bring along on her little hike on the hill, while everyone else was enjoying the festival downtown.

Their dynamic also promises equal partnership: Reina insists that they should take turns in carrying their instruments, as the euph is a lot heavier than the trumpet.

Of course, this amazing scene was only one part of the episode. Shuuichi does the right thing and rejects Hazuki, who reacts way too well, but later has a good cry on Midori's shoulders, which reassured me that she was gonna be okay. In the en

Edit: as VersoSciolto pointed it out to me, Reina indeed plays the trumpet, not the trombone. Oops.
LeeTailorApr 22, 2017 6:57 PM
May 13, 2017 5:55 AM

Nov 2013
I clearly see what are you doing here KyoAni and you are not gonna get me through this.
That's just strong teasing fanservice and everybody will forget about all these events.
Jul 1, 2017 3:11 PM
Jul 2018
Episode 8 I discovered I can't only have Midori-chan but her sister as well!
Feb 6, 2018 6:21 AM

Dec 2015
Wonder if they're hinting at a Reina x Kumiko? Episode was really down to earth +much needed after what happened in ep7.
~
Apr 17, 2018 6:55 AM

Feb 2017
That ED kinda calmed me in many ways
Apr 19, 2018 7:41 AM

Nov 2016
No, this isn't shoujo ai.

Still a great episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 15, 2018 8:34 AM
Apr 2017
Wow, this is the best episode so far, I can see how this show get its score now

And that dose of YURI IS PERFECT
Nov 26, 2018 2:36 PM
Jul 2018
Magnific, simply magnific.
The emotion transmitted by monologues and dialogues is indescribable, it is a rejoicing experience.
Jan 14, 2019 10:23 AM

Jun 2013
Brilliant. Best episode so far.
Jan 29, 2019 2:40 AM

Oct 2017
what in the name of lesbian heaven happened in this episode holy shit
[url=https://myanimelist.net/profile/mifti]
[/url]
Feb 23, 2019 10:22 PM

Oct 2017
This one focuses on the incoming town festival.
Of course Hazuki wanted to go with Shuichi and he ends up going with her after being rejected by Kumiko. There, Hazuki rather quickly confessed her feelings to him but he obviously likes Kumiko so he can’t return her feelings.

Kumiko ends up hanging out with Reina that night instead. The two hike up a mountain and play their instruments together, as well as go through some nice bonding. Those two seem to be getting pretty close.

Also, Kohaku is so dang adorable, I want 5 of her.
Jun 20, 2019 5:24 PM

Feb 2018
Gosh Katou was rejected. Finally Kumiko went to the festival with Kousaka
Jul 24, 2019 2:03 AM

Mar 2018
Guess the triangle was done in nicely
I'm all for the yuri ship tho

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Jul 26, 2019 5:54 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Super episode!

Damn, that’s a lot of Yuri tease between Kousaka & Kumiko. I don’t think I’m completely on board with the Yuri side of things though but I certainly wouldn’t mind the story progressing that way, although it’s already clear that it won’t. Lol @ that “so when are we going for the festival” bit considering the circumstances was hilarious for some reason. Got to appreciate the scenery and some of the wonderful shots of Kousaka, in particular, during the whole final scene of the two at the mountain cliff though, it was simply gorgeous and breathtaking! A different ED showing the others was a really nice touch too!

On another note, seeing the heartbroken Hazuki was .. painful. Midori and Little Midori’s hug there was really sweet, in response. Little Midori really is Midori’s splitting image and Hazuki’s speechlessness was totally understandable. Goto-senpai’s “you’re cute ~” and that shy “thanks~” reply was seriously .. Great, lol. Anyway, I feel like Kumiko’s hidden feelings for Shoichin was fairly obvious this episode, I’m really curious to see how she’ll react to the rejection. Hopefully, her ‘bad personality’ won’t kick in and devastate Hazuki more so than already.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 6, 2019 8:55 AM

Jan 2018
I like Kousaka's definition of Kumiko's personality lol
They have a very unique friendship~

Kumiko's kinda a laid back male MC
And Kousaka, the mysterious pretty girl MC
the opposite works quite well too
Aug 19, 2019 4:36 PM

Jul 2012
God damn. I don't think I've ever shipped any yuri ship this hard before LOL
Aug 24, 2019 6:52 AM

Aug 2018
llcruz said:
The scenes with Kousaka were so incredibly good. I'm just out of words to describe them. I guess I will just replay those scenes 10 more times. Kousaka is perfect. 10/10, she makes the show for me, especially when she is with Kumiko, that's when she truly shines.

And that confession was so out of nowhere... wasn't expecting it to happen so fast. It was obvious she would get rejected but I guess it was a nice try.
I literally repeated it more than 20 times.

"The most amazing and interesting story in this world ever existed is the story of the world itself where all stories happened"
-Hassaan Lightstone-
Aug 24, 2019 6:58 AM

Aug 2018
Episode 8 is the episode which watched this anime for but later I was diverted in love with this series because if it's characters and everything.

"The most amazing and interesting story in this world ever existed is the story of the world itself where all stories happened"
-Hassaan Lightstone-
Dec 19, 2019 12:23 PM

Apr 2013
I really thought this would turn into yuri a few times this episode, is Kousaka actually into girls? Kumiko isn't a terrible person, just a straightforward one... with some people.
Feb 26, 2020 6:19 AM

Feb 2019
Liked how this episode didn't really go according to how I expected or really dragged out the drama needlessly.

Just like that, Hazuki managed to ask our Shuichi. And she confessed too, really quickly, like it wasn't dragged out and made so dramatic. And then she just got turned down. Seems Shuichi really does have a thing for Kumiko. I like how she handled it though. She got turned down, and is instead now supporting him with Kumiko. But it still hurts, and my eyes watered a little when she started crying, her sound completely covered by Reina and Kumiko's trumpet and euphonium.

The bonding between Reina and Kumiko was really weird and unique, but I love their dynamic and how they interact. It's refreshing because I can't really predict where it's going. Somehow they don't seem to match up, at the same time they get along so well because of that.

Looking forward to see how all this develops - Reina and Kumiko, Kumiko and Shuichi. As much as I like how Reina and Kumiko goes so well together, I'm kinda hoping more for Kumiko x Shuichi to be honest! There's just something about that childhood friend vibe. Especially when the childhood friends aren't too unrealistically close but not too unrealistically distant and mean to each other either.

Also, Sapphire's sister is the spitting image of her and so cute!
May 18, 2020 3:20 AM
Apr 2020
same tbh i wish they just get together already

but its kyoani they always do that to us :T
May 18, 2020 4:20 AM
Apr 2020
uh
Pen3 said:
Smudy said:

LOL at these yuri fans. If every two female getting close means they must become lesbians, then half of the female population will be lesbians.

uhm no its just this anime is teasing us abt it i mean who does that to their friends well i dont n i havent seen it irl either

plus kyoani likes to tease people with this kind of stuff :/
Jun 6, 2020 1:49 AM

Sep 2018
Episode in which the figure of Kousaka, already very sui generis from the beginning, acquires an even more particular connotation that makes it stand out as never before. From a psychological point of view, this anime is doing an egregious and intense job, and is carrying out a truly flattering character management, even if I believe that there will be no room for everyone; now together with Natsuki, Kaori and the character of Yoshikawa are also having more space in the story, together with Asuka and Ogasawara, this can only please me, hurray! Excellent drawings and animations. However Shuichi should not allow himself to break the heart of Katou, a person who is parched with feelings and tact.
Aug 7, 2020 3:09 AM
Apr 2019
I'm glad the directors know what kind of flaws they are leaving behind,
Like I complained about the president being too shy,they resolved it.
Kumiko has a terrible personality,now Kumiko knows that.
Kumiko is cute,specially when Shuiichi asked her out in washroom,the sound that she made was so cute .
I'm starting to get behind her,simple but beautiful .Good job KyoAni !
Sep 6, 2020 12:30 AM

Jul 2015
I like how Kousaka goes with the flow of Kumiko trying to escape Shuuchi asking her out and them going on a double date with their instruments.

Ah young love, gotta give props to Hazuki for confessing and handling the rejection like a champ. I'm also glad that Shuuchi didn't just accept it after being sort of silently rejected by Kumiko's poor attempt to escape him asking her out.

Oct 24, 2020 3:37 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Still don’t entirely get kousaka’s character but let me just say she’s a champ for hiking up a mountain in a dress and heels and even carried a freaking euphonium up part of the way. And that shot of her with the city lights blurred in the background is one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen in anime.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 27, 2020 8:11 PM

Mar 2018
The Reina x Kumiko vibes hit maximum frequency on this episode and I'm so here for it.
Feb 7, 2021 2:31 AM

Feb 2020
Sigh.. Cliche romange garbage. I didn't enjoy this episode too much.
Mar 13, 2021 10:02 PM

Jul 2020
If Katou is going through all this pain, while trying to help Shuichi to get Kumiko, just for the mental-disordered Kousaka to do her moves and take advantage, I swear I'm about to break my screen.

Just NO.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Check my latest web novel on Our Greatest Comeback🦊⛩️ and please drop a like or comment if you liked it!
Apr 19, 2021 3:04 PM
Dec 2019
For the whole episodes I had my hopes up about this love triangle and it working out in some way, but it is what it is.
I loved seeing Sapphire and her sister they were so adorable in every scene together.
The last scenes were brilliant. Beautiful music by Kumiko and Reina, the mood was really emotional but in a good way in my opinion. I loved seeing the two get closer, it was really heartwarming to see this kind and cute side of Reina.
Great episode overall.
Apr 23, 2021 12:46 AM

Apr 2009
So Hazuki-Shuuichi is not shipping anymore but Kumiko-Reina is now being built somehow from the keel up, and I have mixed and conflicted feelings now. LOL

Ah Midori's little sister is like her little carbon copy.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Sep 4, 2021 2:42 AM

Jun 2020
Not sure if I missed something here, or if someone can explain this.

(ep. 01) I remember when Kumiko first saw Reina in high school she was scared to talk to Reina due to middle school tournament incident.

Then at the end of this episode Reina says lets play a piece from their middle school concert band repertoire atop the mountain.

So the events in-between, was there a scene that shows Kumiko going up to Reina and "hey, remember me from middle school?" or does Reina remembers Kumiko from middle school but never mentions it.
Nov 19, 2021 9:50 AM
Aug 2021
So, we all saw this coming. Hazuki gets rejected. Poor girl she put a smile on her face but she must've felt terrible on the inside.

Reina really does stand out from everyone when she plays the trumpet:) (also she got the potential to make someone a lesbian with her charm)

Jan 4, 2022 1:36 PM

Dec 2016
That was one of the best episodes of anime I have ever seen. I feel ashamed I have not picked up this anime until now.

I love the way Reina said she wants to peel off the front Kumiko puts up to understand her real self. I think Kumiko needs someone like that. Thats the only way she will be able to become close to someone because of her distant nature.

Ahh their interaction made me feel so warm and fuzzy inside. And KyoAni didnt fail to encapsulate it all in a beautiful way. The view from that mountain top was incredible.
Jan 8, 2022 5:26 PM

Jul 2020
Confession of love? Psssh I wish
Feb 12, 2022 8:29 AM

Jul 2017
Man, this ep was beyond precious. Really reminded me that dialogue is easily everything. KyoAni had the atmosphere on point, but the exchanges between Kumiko and Reina really made it all. Can't remember the last anime that had me engaged in character interactions that felt this genuine.

That "pervert" retort from Reina made me absolutely lose it. That whole scene was just gold xD

Reina hits too different, it's bewitching. She just takes control. Was not ready for this girl lmao.

Jul 7, 2022 3:12 AM

May 2020
Ive never wanted yuri more, this is like if Bloom into You was actually good and realistic and with two solid characters
Aug 15, 2022 11:57 PM
Jan 2021
i cried this episode just hits like a truck
Sep 23, 2022 2:28 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Oh yes the summer festival, though that's sad for Hazuki but I expected it this guy is obviously in love with Kumiko while Kumiko and Reina had a great time together at the mountain
Sep 25, 2022 3:49 PM
Mar 2020
very pog, reina is very pog
we love reina chan
Oct 16, 2022 7:53 PM
Sep 2022
their conversation is too cute for us to handle
Oct 25, 2022 9:38 AM

Aug 2020
i have to give this show a 10 bro that made me feel all oogy woogy inside 😔

i've had a really great time watching this anime and this episode was just perfect.
Jan 30, 2023 6:18 AM
Mar 2022
da,m i like seeing girls togetehr vert mucj
lyst_0884Jan 30, 2023 8:06 PM
Jun 14, 2023 1:53 PM
Aug 2021
Reina is just too fascinating, I wasn't ready for this ~.~
Her interaction with Kumiko was amazing.
Aug 13, 2023 7:19 AM

May 2020
This is a music show right? Or atleast it was supposed to be, until we dived into confessions, rejections and hinted pairings here and there.

I would've loved to joke about how the complete second half with Kumiko and Kousaka was as yuri as it could've been, but holy god the direction and dialouges, along with those surreal backgrounds leave no such place. Just pure brilliance from KyoAni.

Also whoever designed the girls in casual clothing this episode deserves an award.
Feb 14, 1:50 AM

May 2021
That was a surprisingly mature confession, right from the proposal to the way she handled it.

Another confession, by Reina this time, though I feel like she might have a different idea of love than normal people.

Pages (10) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2015

394 by shichirouji »»
Apr 22, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2015

193 by BritishBlitz87 »»
Apr 18, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2015

286 by luisfunes99 »»
Apr 2, 9:04 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 5, 2015

242 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Mar 28, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2015

180 by teraphIl1000 »»
Mar 24, 6:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.