Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 15, 2015 6:55 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Omg, that got bloody literally.

The Archangel Michael really is someone to be feared tbh. Really also liked how the episode highlighted the ongoing war with the siege and old fashioned artillery. Unfortunately, Maria seems to be on the verge of getting executed in public..

A very intense conclusion tbh. Loved it :D
Mar 15, 2015 7:07 AM
Jul 2014
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Omg, that got bloody literally.

The Archangel Michael really is someone to be feared tbh. Really also liked how the episode highlighted the ongoing war with the siege and old fashioned artillery. Unfortunately, Maria seems to be on the verge of getting executed in public..

A very intense conclusion tbh. Loved it :D

I guess you know who dies fighting Michael?
Mar 15, 2015 8:08 AM

Jul 2010
"I may have done something I should be sorry for, but that doesn't mean that I was wrong."

Viv was pretty awesome in the sense that she dared challenge Michael as the rate to succeed is really low, but low isn't zero at all! So that is what happens when Ezekiel pierces someone :/

I thought that bombardment looked weak til that last one. Seeing the effects of war, wow, seeing the people smiling as someone is being burned too.

Viv having the same dream as Maria ^^

Edwina's way of entering xD Curse the sunlight!!! How she barely made it through was fun, every familiar having humanoid form too. Joseph vs Galfa!

Really looking forward to next episode and the after events too.
Mar 15, 2015 8:16 AM

Jun 2012
Yoooooooooooooooooooooo
Mar 15, 2015 8:20 AM
Jun 2014
good episode. tbh i wanted maria to burn and viv to die but i knew it would not have happened. Michael was badass definitely got Viv to shut up.
Mar 15, 2015 8:42 AM

Sep 2007
Edwina's lines were AWESOME looool. And her spells actually looked stronger than Viv's in my opinion (since all Viv really did was borrow stuff that was already around)

JOOOOSEEEEEPPPHHH!!!!!!!!!
Hang on! Your damsel-that-was-in-distress is about to go save your butt now! (LoL)

Gawd, Galfa's arm gets more and more disturbing every time I see it. ("Spikey fingertips mode"? SRSLY?!)

If Edwina didn't show up I thought for sure Bernard was gonna do something to stop the burning but looks like he's still "broken". (LOL)

EDIT: Now that I look at it a few more times...Isn't Edwina's cat the same girl that we saw talk to Gilbert a few times? Not 100% sure...
IkanoMar 15, 2015 8:51 AM
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Mar 15, 2015 9:01 AM
Mar 2014

Galfa's arm is so fucking metal!
Mar 15, 2015 9:03 AM
Mar 2014
Ikano said:
Edwina's lines were AWESOME looool. And her spells actually looked stronger than Viv's in my opinion (since all Viv really did was borrow stuff that was already around)

JOOOOSEEEEEPPPHHH!!!!!!!!!
Hang on! Your damsel-that-was-in-distress is about to go save your butt now! (LoL)

Gawd, Galfa's arm gets more and more disturbing every time I see it. ("Spikey fingertips mode"? SRSLY?!)

If Edwina didn't show up I thought for sure Bernard was gonna do something to stop the burning but looks like he's still "broken". (LOL)

EDIT: Now that I look at it a few more times...Isn't Edwina's cat the same girl that we saw talk to Gilbert a few times? Not 100% sure...

Yes she is thats why he had that shocked expression on his face when she transformed.
Mar 15, 2015 9:14 AM

Feb 2012
This show is alright. There's just nothing I really like about it because of my massive bias against the anti-war genre.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Mar 15, 2015 9:30 AM

May 2013
Edwina for the win. Some power that she had. I have a feeling that Galfa is gonna get rekt soon.
Mar 15, 2015 9:32 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
My god Michael is a grade A cunt...That beginning scene was brutal as fuck....My heart literally stopped when Viv got stabbed and seeing Ezekiel covered in blood was just unreal.....I'm really glad that she survived but man I feel so bad for her TwT

This episode just further showcased just how fucked up this world is and how messed up the people are....All those town folk are just sickening the church people are even worse

I'm glad that Edwina got the courage to help Maria as well and her performance was stellar (Her cat familiar finally transformed and she's so kawaii lol) Priapus and Artemis' roles were nice to see as usual

And man poor Ezekiel is so conflicted and in so much pain that I just want to give her a hug....I hope that she comes to her senses and finds a way to leave Michael because we need all hands on deck here >.<

I have a feeling that Galfa v Joseph is going to definitely end with someone dying....Personally Galfa is beyond saving imo so I wouldn't mind if he dies....This war against England is brutal too...Seeing that little girl next to her dead mother hurt my soul

This episode was just straight up intensity from beginning to end and I loved it....I hope Maria manages to somehow come out on top in the end and that they all stay safe because her almost being burned at the stake was cutting it a little too close and seeing her doubt her actions in jail....Man I hope that she found the answers that she's looking for :(
Mar 15, 2015 9:55 AM

Feb 2014
This was the best episode of Maria yet, things are heating up and it looks like the witches are going to band together. Hope we are heading for a Witches vs Archangel Michael conclusion
Mar 15, 2015 10:01 AM
Apr 2014
how great it would be if now Maria turned out "bad", wishing to destroy all the humanity, burning villages and stuff, ofc its not this kind of show so there is no way in hell something like that will happen, but it would be nice
elemeledudkiMar 15, 2015 10:04 AM
Mar 15, 2015 10:09 AM

Jul 2009
justbored said:
how great it would be if now Maria turned out "bad", wishing to destroy all the humanity, burning villages and stuff, ofc its not this kind of show so there is no way in hell something like that will happen, but it would be nice
Tack on saving children and you got a deal! lol
Mar 15, 2015 10:26 AM

Jul 2007
This is hands down the best show this season.

Underrated sleeper hit.

Love how it does not fear to explore the true face of religion.
Mar 15, 2015 10:30 AM

Aug 2010
Damn! The way Viv got stabbed was brutal :O

Maria's "Sa ne" at being baptized was lol XD Dat smug face :3

Thank u so much Edwina!! The relieved feeling in my chest after she came to the rescue felt so sweet :D Get REKT church assholes <_<
Mar 15, 2015 10:30 AM

Feb 2014
CookingPriest said:

Underrated sleeper hit.

Your only watching three things from season so I dont see how you can judge that, though it is under-rated for sure.
Mar 15, 2015 10:32 AM

Jul 2007
eXtacy67 said:
CookingPriest said:

Underrated sleeper hit.

Your only watching three things from season so I dont see how you can judge that, though it is under-rated for sure.

Death Parade is overrated case of the week stuff that is barely connected together.
Parasyte is just done hundred over hundred of times and half the shit in it does not make sense
Aldnoah is glorified Geass/Gundam rip off.

Yet people praise them and watch them in spades.

So yes, Maria and Yuri Kuma are pretty much THE best shows this season.

It explores the themes other shows fear to explore, it empowers its female cast, it provides a nice outlook towards religion and it has likeable cast and dark story.

And it is rated a 7. A SEVEN. YEah/...
Mar 15, 2015 10:46 AM

Feb 2014
CookingPriest said:
eXtacy67 said:

Death Parade is overrated case of the week stuff that is barely connected together.
Parasyte is just done hundred over hundred of times and half the shit in it does not make sense
Aldnoah is glorified Geass/Gundam rip off.

Yet people praise them and watch them in spades.

So yes, Maria and Yuri Kuma are pretty much THE best shows this season.

It explores the themes other shows fear to explore, it empowers its female cast, it provides a nice outlook towards religion and it has likeable cast and dark story.

And it is rated a 7. A SEVEN. YEah/...

Is your youtube account called Harry Dresden? I think I just seen you post in Chibi reviews.
Mar 15, 2015 11:33 AM

Nov 2011
Holy S**t! This show's so intense! Last episode I was raging, this time I was scared someone was going to die... Viv was awesome, saying what she said right in Michael's face. Edwina turned out to be quite powerful and that nekotsukaima-chan! Seeing Maria was so painful... Seeing Ezekiel was so painful... she's gonna snap, I mean I hope she's gonna snap and tell Michael to go to hell as a goddamn psychopathic murderer. Or reject God and become a Fallen Spear that Maria would wield against Michael! That would be cool.

GET DROPBOX HERE!
Bonus space for you and me with this link! Now 500MB per referral, up to 16GB from referrals alone.
Mar 15, 2015 11:54 AM

Aug 2014
Gotta freaking love Viv and Edwina......
And how about how freaking cute Edwina's familiar is in human form! ; w ;

On a side note, damn. This freaking episode had me in tears towards the end when it showed the battlefield/town..(I'm sorry, but seeing a child cry over her mother? That just got to me....)
Mar 15, 2015 12:00 PM
Aug 2009
This is an O.O episode, it's freaking ace, but the best part has to be that BGM. I need that BGM its awesome.

Amusing thing about Edwina's fight is that all throughout you could see she wasn't focused at the task at hand and instead worrying about repercussions for later hahahaha.
Mar 15, 2015 12:17 PM
Nov 2009
That piece of sh*t squire wants to burn Maria earlier because Bernard just converted into a deist.

This show is a lot deeper than what I thought it´d be from the beginning.

Next episode is a fight to death between Kagami and Kuroko.
Mar 15, 2015 1:05 PM

Sep 2012
awesome episode. nice job Edwina! Does anyone know the song that was used when she was flying away?
Mar 15, 2015 1:09 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This show is getting better by the episode. I think there's been some clues that Michael's boss might not share his outlook on things.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 15, 2015 1:28 PM
Apr 2014
Holy shit. Viv should have anticipated a reaction like that. Really should have seen that coming the moment Ezekiel got transformed. Damn even the blood was still on Ezekiel after transforming blood. Hopefully Viv doesn't die for that :(

lol Edwina worrying like crazy about the food and the cats just like "sure"

WOOOOOOOW Edwina to the rescue. WTF so powerful. Didn't expect that. Thought she was more of a "alchemist" than a "sorcerer" but that was BADASS as fuck.
NanashiMar 15, 2015 1:47 PM
Mar 15, 2015 2:08 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode, everything boring is out of the way.
I really didn't want to see Maria burned alive. That would have been so horrible.
Mar 15, 2015 2:18 PM
Jul 2018
Edwina came to rescue Maria, that's so sweet!
Mar 15, 2015 2:37 PM

Mar 2014
I really regret watching this show while it's airing, the waiting is killing me every week.

Please Joseph, put that Galfa out of his misery.
Mar 15, 2015 3:04 PM

Nov 2011
Tokoya said:
This episode just further showcased just how fucked up this world is and how messed up the people are....All those town folk are just sickening the church people are even worse

It's just horrible, right? I can't wrap my head around this kind of madness... Trying to imagine that these things actually happened... That people did come to watch innocent women being burned alive after being tortured in the most horrific ways... that's just too hard. But what's even harder to imagine is that it still happens. There are places in this world where women are still accused of witchcraft and burned. And no one helps them. Even "the police" don't intervene. I don't get how anyone can believe in a benevolent God living in a world like this - we don't even get shiny winged archcunts showing up in the sky.

GET DROPBOX HERE!
Bonus space for you and me with this link! Now 500MB per referral, up to 16GB from referrals alone.
Mar 15, 2015 5:13 PM

Oct 2013
So with this episode, I'm thinking that perhaps Galfa see's Joseph as a weakness of his that he has to get over, by no other way than killing or maiming him somehow. Or perhaps I was wrong all along and he was always just a scummy bastard & nothing more(although he's good at it), which would be a bit of a shame tbh. More importantly though, I just hope Joseph get's out of that fight in one piece.

Maria, I appreciate your dedication to stop wars & all but drop it already, at least for this fight and instead prioritize on finding & helping Joseph. I also dread the thought of a witch hunt. But what am saying here, she's way too dedicated & obsessed about it to stop.

At any rate, great episode as usual. It's even getting more intense as the final episodes kick in.
Mar 15, 2015 5:44 PM

Nov 2012
Edwina is best character, at least to me she's most relatable, I'd have some serious reservations risking my life for people I barely know too.

I always find it an interesting topic when things bring up wheat, cattle and bugs things about humans killing them and how it would make no difference if they could speak like the angel said.

Personally I disagree, if a bug in on my wall would say something asking not to die before I squash it I'd probably back down from killing it. I think the world would be much different if other animals could speak in ways human's understand.
EpicenterMar 15, 2015 5:51 PM
Jaywalker.
Mar 15, 2015 6:25 PM

Dec 2012
That cliffhanger. ;_;

Edwina's familiar is a real cutie, haha.
Mar 15, 2015 6:28 PM

Aug 2013
It's getting so intense..
Maria's starting to doubt what she was doing..
What, I thought Edwina just an alchemist, she can do magic too ehh..
The insert song near end is also great!
Mar 15, 2015 7:26 PM
Jul 2018
So the nun was Edwina's familiar... I knew from the manga about Edwina's familiar, but she infiltrating in the church as a nun is new...

Mar 15, 2015 7:27 PM

Jul 2009
Raghe said:
So the nun was Edwina's familiar... I knew from the manga about Edwina's familiar, but she infiltrating in the church as a nun is new...
Give me a piece of that familiar!
Mar 15, 2015 8:06 PM

Mar 2013
OK, I'm gonnna go against the main flow here. First of all, I got really angry about Viv's words that God doesn't know love, and that people invented love. What??? God created you, your friends, love and everything else, he allows you to exist and you're able to wield magic because he allowed it to function. You couldn't even take one breath of air or move a muscle without God's will. Just be grateful and don't be blasphemous. And whatever bad happens in this world, you just have to work hard and overcome it. The infinite reward in the afterlife more than covers for all wars and other stuff that you have to go through in this life. The life is the ultimate test. Don't lose the big picture here.

So, calm down people, don't badmouth God please.

Now, I agree the way they portraid Michael in this anime is not in a good light. But if you just stop and think about it, all he says is don't use magic and pursue your goals like stopping wars and saving your friends by normal non-magic human means.

And also, Maria is being arrogant and selfish. Just admit that you shouldn't have used magic extensively in front of people and ask for forgiveness. Instead she's being rebellious against God, who created her existence, her soul, gave her life and everything else.

Now, people's (includin priests') interpretation, understanding and implementation of religion is a whole other issue.
LoneUlfsarkMar 15, 2015 8:16 PM
Mar 15, 2015 8:15 PM
Jul 2018
Best anime of the season. Bravo.

Mar 15, 2015 9:42 PM

Jan 2011
Edwina you rock!!

Very well done episode between the cast.
Mar 15, 2015 10:16 PM

Dec 2013
Really good episode. First off we have Michael proving time and time again how out of touch he is with humans, and that he probably needs to find a new philosophy if he can't even follow his own rule of not interfering with the world's natural order, because last I checked, witches were human. Not beings who are required to bend to the whims/will of some angel (seems more like a demon at this point).

I'm glad Edwina came through for Maria. Speaking of which. Her familiar turns out to be the nun that Gilbert was getting his wonder medicine from, so I wonder how he feels knowing that he has already been collaborating with witches. I also wonder how he feels knowing that the same witches he was trying to kill are the same witches that probably helped him gain his current position.

Lastly, Galfa needs to either die, or loose a few more limbs. Give him the full Anakin Skywalker special. Either one would bring me great satisfaction. This guy has proven himself to be a real scumbag from very early on. Most of us either chose not to see it, or failed to see it all together.
Kuro_YuukiMar 16, 2015 4:01 AM
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Mar 16, 2015 12:26 AM

Jan 2008
After all Joseph's done for Galfa, including quite literally saving his life... That asshole's list of reason's to die are ever increasing. That settles it. Galfa needs to die by getting his dick chopped off. As that likely won't happen, I hope Joseph skewers the bastard.

And why did Joseph need to find glory at all? So he'll face an archangel for Maria, but won't go up against the church for a prison-break?

The heavens of this anime are totally the ultimate villains in the end. Ruling by fear and oppression, they kill anyone that stands in their way apparently. If money is the root of _all evil_ IRL, then God and religion takes that role in their world.
Mar 16, 2015 1:12 AM

Oct 2013
I'm still pro for Maria not getting involved in wars, at least not on a large scale and in such a flashy manner. It put's HER in danger and possible the other witches too. It'd get really messy if a witch hunt ensued due to her actions. Furthermore, we all know that just a fraction of the people she saves will be grateful to her and eventually and even that doesn't amount to much when the inquisition comes breathing down their necks.

I get that she wouldn't be herself otherwise, that she apparently get's a lot of self-satisfaction doing this but this concerns her own safety & well being for one thing and now possibly that of other witches. She can still help the wounded with medicine without causing an uproar.

What I'm getting at is that Maria should just look out for herself and her close ones more and stop trying to play hero so much towards people that'll end up cheering to see her burned at the stake at the drop of a straw. Even if she has the power to, it's just not worth it. Let people bleed each other to death, it's just how the world worked back then, and keep your close ones safe Maria, discreetly. I've really taken a liking to her and would be seriously pissed if she'd get killed trying to save all those ungrateful peasants.

ManlyTearMar 16, 2015 1:35 AM
Mar 16, 2015 2:52 AM

Jan 2013
This is one of a few adaptations that I won't ever try to look up the original even though I'm dying of curiosity about what will happen next.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Mar 16, 2015 10:26 AM

Jul 2009
LoneUlfsark, I'm through trying to explain things to you. I called you a hypocrite because you were believing in contradictory theories but it's clear you don't believe in the parallel world theory now... You're not a hypocrite, just someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. You believe in your God and the God-World Theory. Please keep parallel worlds out of your discussions because you clearly don't understand how they work.
Mar 16, 2015 10:31 AM

Apr 2012
Mini dark horse of the season. Series isn't great but it's not as bad as i initially thought it was.

Mar 16, 2015 1:18 PM

Oct 2014
DawnJ said:
This is one of a few adaptations that I won't ever try to look up the original even though I'm dying of curiosity about what will happen next.

Heh, that's my rule if I havent read it already, but curiosity got the upper hand for once.
Mar 16, 2015 4:07 PM

Jun 2007
Actually, according to the canon in the show the god's didn't create witches or magic, which is exactly why they are "out of God's realm" and not allowed to get in the way of God's creations. Not to mention this is a show with christian, norse, and even celtic gods, so clearly one 'true God' does not exist in the sense you're talking about in this show. Not to mention we've had no actual instances of any Gods (aside Cernunnos) existing, as we've only seen an archangel and some valkyries which there is no factual reason to believe cannot exist without the presence of a God or multiple Gods. Personal religious beliefs have no bearing on anything when you're speaking of a fictional universe that has in-universe facts that make the stuff you're saying totally irrelevant.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
ZelotMar 18, 2015 6:34 AM
Mar 16, 2015 5:18 PM

Dec 2013
Infinitely more enjoyable show than many that are on display this season.

Maria spends literally the entire episode pondering her reason for doing what she does, but in the end still asks to be transported to the battlefield. Without her powers, what does she hope to do there? Given she's seen first hand what normal folk will do to her when they capture and convict and sentence her to "religious cleansing", I wouldn't blame her if she took the high road and said "screw you all, just kill each other, I don't give a damn anymore". Yet she's still insisting on heading to the battlefield in order to stop the war. I no longer know whether she's being selfless or acting selfish to her own desires (with no regard towards other people's opinions). Hers is a very confusing psyche. Just hope she doesn't get raped again by the likes of Galfa (highly unlikely, since Edwina and her familiars are here).

Props to Edwina for stepping outside her comfort zone in order to retrieve Maria. Everything she said was spot on as well, Maria's actions would have sprung another long round of witch hunting/burning. In that sense, Maria was really selfish and really had no right to involve the other witches in her vendetta (however unconsciously she did so). I actually never thought about that before this episode, so I'm glad to see that pointed out.

I've been waiting for the confrontation between Galfa and Joseph for a while now. Given his physique, Galfa should still be able to beat the crap out of Joseph. Wonder what kind of explanation they'll make for Joseph to come out on top in this fight.

Surprisingly, everything seems to tie in quite well. It was because Viv tooks all the Englishmen's weapons to throw at Michael, that forced the Brits to retreat into some large French castle, changing the battle from a confrontational one to a castle siege.

Loving every moment that they besmirch the credibility of the French Catholic Church of the Middle Ages. Theology is such a fun topic to debate upon.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Mar 16, 2015 5:22 PM

Feb 2011
this anime gets better and better each episode.
so glad maria isn't dead/burned

10/10

Mar 17, 2015 12:13 AM

Dec 2013
This show has gotten so much better!

Glad Edwina survived :)

The witch burning scene was well depicted and reminded me of AgK.

Damn cliffhanger!!!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Adoption

sandwich-boy - Oct 18, 2023

2 by Animaticide »»
Oct 18, 2023 11:16 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 25, 2015

79 by EmperorThor »»
Jul 24, 2023 6:42 AM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2015

193 by WatchTillTandava »»
Jun 18, 2023 11:21 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2015

93 by Assassin2112 »»
Sep 13, 2022 10:13 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2015

114 by KhoaVN »»
Jun 10, 2022 7:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.