Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 13, 2015 4:12 PM

Jul 2010
2 episodes left and some important unanswared questions left - like what will happen to Miyu and idol guy, who seems to be still there.What will Oculus do now? i'm really scared this won't finish good for Decim ._. never trust old guys with flower on their heads.
Young Chi-chan tho <3
Mar 13, 2015 4:19 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Borgov said:
DatRandomDude said:
Hooo yeah, now that the ep is not dark and shit and more calm and useful for the subplot people start to hate it again.

what a bunch of piece of shit, jesus.

Calling people who didn't find the episode interesting a piece of shit.

Boy I can tell you are great to be around and have a booming social life.

Usually i try to be more reasonable than calling people shit but this time ... nope. i didnt know what to say beside that.

and yes, my social life is good.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Mar 13, 2015 4:20 PM

Dec 2014
Old lady who has lived a happy, fulfilling life? Sure if it is high school level writing, but that's understandable if you consider the childish, shallow judging system (turns out you need to understand human emotion to properly judge them, what a surprise!) and every story elements we've seen and the way they are used there isn't many to expect from the creator from the first place. The animation and sound are fine but when you are making a story about life and death the more intriguing part is the creator's insight of certain matter that can decide whether the show can have any real impact on the viewer and it's a tall order to fill because we are all experiencing them everyday, you know the judgment system won't work and I know it won't work either, so any themes and massages the show trying to have is lost because the foundation is so weak and can be debunked at first sight. This show isn't deep, wise or intelligent, it's written with a brain and soul of a 12-year-old who just experience second-handed and still being confused and trying to get a hang of what the hell he should do.

I'm so pity the poor woman who was misjudged in the third episode, there shouldn't be a judgment system of any kind. We still don't know why the system exists in the ways it is. The creator seems like forget or doesn't care to explain but that is not a small detail. If the system is existed to judge human and by nature then it should have rules that suited to human's condition and and the arbitrators should be able to understand human emotions, simply logical thinking and for the sake of efficiency, and also no one wants to be judged like this after their death, anyone in front of the screen certainly doesn't.

It is not a topic this anime should tackle. It needs to be more mature and wise, and that takes time.

Or you can just be consistent with OP-kun; why so serious?
raveninthemuddleMar 13, 2015 4:24 PM
Mar 13, 2015 4:24 PM

Feb 2014
I loved the atmosphere of this episode so much!
Mar 13, 2015 4:25 PM

Feb 2015
Nothing257 said:
Way better than the last episode and i liked 95% of this episode except the ending. "please tell me everything" about what? How to have human emotions, About yourself or is it him asking her to tell him everything she knows about potted plants?
in all though it was a good episode 4/5

I believe it is more that Decim want's to fathom human emotion and they way humans act, in order to become a more qualified Arbiter. I don't think he is trying to learn how to experience human emotion. That's just something that is built-in, not something you can "learn" to experience.
Mar 13, 2015 4:26 PM

Feb 2015
chakracat said:
Nobody trusts Oculus.

But yeah, it's kinda said how Chiyuki is crumbling away.

Hopefully she gets judged soon.

Oculus is a creepy son of a *****, I don't like him.
Mar 13, 2015 4:34 PM

Jun 2014
Bit of a slow episode compared to last week, but it was still good. So onna's name is Chiyuki, huh? I reallyyyyyyy wanna see her memories o.o

Oculus is being creepy as usual. I think the next two episodes will be really good :D

But they'll be the last episodes, too... T-T
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 13, 2015 4:37 PM

Mar 2012
The grandpa from Death Billiards was in a card :o Nice one, I wasn't expecting it.
Mar 13, 2015 4:45 PM

Oct 2012
AaaaaaKun said:
We still don't know why the system exists in the ways it is.

But yes, we do. And they literally spelled it out this time - that people do need the meaning for their lives and only after they find it they are able to go away peacefully. The very meaning of this afterlife is to help them find it and prepare them for whatever awaits them.

I think your problem with the show is that you try to debunk just about everything logically. But that doesn't work here, this show should be approached on emotional level, you should ask yourself a questions, compare with your experiences and think about wrong and bad here as there are many clever meanings hidden behind bare facts.
I agree they could done better in some ways but it's really a shame that some people fails to see those little details and hints that makes this show great unless they are told plain in the face.
Mar 13, 2015 4:54 PM

Dec 2012
Finally get to know Onna's name, Chiyuki and a little more into her past.
That Old Lady was a mangaka. Good to see her reincarnated.
Nice little game of Old Maid and the cards having pictures of things related to the players.
Oculus wanting know what is going on.
2 more eps to go.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Mar 13, 2015 5:11 PM

Oct 2011
DatRandomDude said:
Borgov said:

Calling people who didn't find the episode interesting a piece of shit.

Boy I can tell you are great to be around and have a booming social life.

Usually i try to be more reasonable than calling people shit but this time ... nope. i didnt know what to say beside that.

and yes, my social life is good.

Mar 13, 2015 5:15 PM

Oct 2013
Decim is simply one hell of a Arbiter XD

At least Decim has human emotions unlike the other Arbiter!!

Chi character development has grown so much that made me love her even more :3

I think I like the ending theme more then the opening theme because it describes the whole anime!!

The animation is amazing!!
Mar 13, 2015 5:16 PM

Apr 2014
Oculus scared the crap out of me for some reason

Pretty chill episode, really curious to see how things are gonna get wrapped up.
Mar 13, 2015 5:28 PM

Dec 2014
Mich666 said:
AaaaaaKun said:

But yes, we do. And they literally spelled it out this time - that people do need the meaning for their lives and only after they find it they are able to go away peacefully. The very meaning of this afterlife is to help them find it and prepare them for whatever awaits them.

I think your problem with the show is that you try to debunk just about everything logically. But that doesn't work here, this show should be approached on emotional level, you should ask yourself a questions, compare with your experiences and think about wrong and bad here as there are many clever meanings hidden behind bare facts.
I agree they could done better in some ways but it's really a shame that some people fails to see those little details and hints that makes this show great unless they are told plain in the face.

And somehow it worked? The first two couples, what did they learn? What kind of new insights the woman and the man get after the devastating game in the third episode? And how did the system prepare the detective and the brother for whatever awaits them, especially in both reincarnation and go into the void, they don't retain the memory and experience if it is the typical reincarnation we are talking here. The word "peacefully" is very questionable, because the process and the results are never peaceful, and by definition of the system it is designed to force your dark side out and the last time I remember people are less rational and rarely reflect on what they've done if they are mentally unstable. No wonder the god in this realm left cause he was doing such a shitty job.

When you talk about sentimental, it should not be applied to the framework of the story and only for the execution of themes and characters. Cowboy Bebop is a fine example that is all about the experience; the world is easy to understand and serve just a framework for the story and characters. Westerny theme, bounty hunter, jazz and si-fi elements. That's it. You don't talk about how your viewers should project themselves onto the screen or force them to think for whatever there is to think when you don't even do a proper job of fleshing out the framework of the story. I mean which is better, which is more emotionally acceptable?, walking down the street and suddenly some random guy yells at you "you should rethink your life!", or a street guitar player singing about how much he misses his parents with a certain level of talent and passion who welcomes your appreciation even if you don't care? And how do I compare with them when the drama is nothing more than to provoke you emotional response when half of them are psychopaths and murderers, or people pushed to the extreme. Subtly everyone? Is that still a thing?
raveninthemuddleMar 13, 2015 5:39 PM
Mar 13, 2015 6:08 PM
Mar 2009
What an unconventional use of hair by "the boss guy"....

Who knows what will happen next... but I feel a little cheated that we didn't see the full memories of "Chi", as she is now calling herself. Did she die as a very young child, though, or is her apparent age as a young adult accurate?

In any case, this series was meant to be short so no wonder it is coming to an end.

Also, that Billards table makes me want to play it for real. Perhaps we can do that now with augmented reality.... or something like it.
Mar 13, 2015 6:18 PM
Mar 2009
AaaaaaKun said:
Mich666 said:

And somehow it worked? The first two couples, what did they learn? What kind of new insights the woman and the man get after the devastating game in the third episode? And how did the system prepare the detective and the brother for whatever awaits them, especially in both reincarnation and go into the void, they don't retain the memory and experience if it is the typical reincarnation we are talking here. The word "peacefully" is very questionable, because the process and the results are never peaceful, and by definition of the system it is designed to force your dark side out and the last time I remember people are less rational and rarely reflect on what they've done if they are mentally unstable. No wonder the god in this realm left cause he was doing such a shitty job.

When you talk about sentimental, it should not be applied to the framework of the story and only for the execution of themes and characters. Cowboy Bebop is a fine example that is all about the experience; the world is easy to understand and serve just a framework for the story and characters. Westerny theme, bounty hunter, jazz and si-fi elements. That's it. You don't talk about how your viewers should project themselves onto the screen or force them to think for whatever there is to think when you don't even do a proper job of fleshing out the framework of the story. I mean which is better, which is more emotionally acceptable?, walking down the street and suddenly some random guy yells at you "you should rethink your life!", or a street guitar player singing about how much he misses his parents with a certain level of talent and passion who welcomes your appreciation even if you don't care? And how do I compare with them when the drama is nothing more than to provoke you emotional response when half of them are psychopaths and murderers, or people pushed to the extreme. Subtly everyone? Is that still a thing?

You both have valid points.

Looking at it from a futuristic meta level, can the system be changed in any permanent way?
Where do arbiters come from, if not from the human world?
Many other open questions...

We know that Decim's boss changed the system slightly by letting the human assist in arbitration, and apparently giving him (Decim) human emotions, but it looks like that was a violation of soft rules and is going to be reset... but we don't know the origin of the system nor its future.

We do know that they have concerns over teh rising absolute death rate, and although it was not harped upon, the "special guest" in this episode seemed to have the most memories yet, e.g. she remembered her name and recognized her illustrations as well. In previous episodes they explained that they do a half-good job of preparing the memories, so, perhaps those two incidents are related, but perhaps not.

Although reincarnations may seem to be without memory, perhaps they are actually keys to access previous lives from the new incarnation. By "keys", I mean methods which might not occur to the average busy person but which monks and such could find through spiritual quests. Even without finding them clearly, perhaps they influences the emotions and personal culture of the next incarnation.

It seems that the general purpose of the system is to improve the quality of human creatures by seeding those who have shown positive virtues during the after-life trial period, despite how they may have lived and died.

Mar 13, 2015 6:31 PM
Nov 2013
Very relaxing episode, reminded me a lot of Mushishi. The old woman was so sweet, and I can't believe her husband is the old man from Death Billiards.

Onna is actually Chiyuki, a pretty name indeed. I wonder if she will be judged and move to the afterlife or magically end up staying with Decim for eternity? I don't think Oculus will let that happen.
Mar 13, 2015 6:32 PM

Feb 2010
So this confirms that death billards simply happened in-between the series.

I thought it happened later but the old man died before the old lady, so that's not possible. It can't be before the series either because onna was already Decim's assistant.
Mar 13, 2015 6:50 PM

Dec 2014
D5 said:

Although reincarnations may seem to be without memory, perhaps they are actually keys to access previous lives from the new incarnation. By "keys", I mean methods which might not occur to the average busy person but which monks and such could find through spiritual quests. Even without finding them clearly, perhaps they influences the emotions and personal culture of the next incarnation.

It seems that the general purpose of the system is to improve the quality of human creatures by seeding those who have shown positive virtues during the after-life trial period, despite how they may have lived and died.

Actually the Japanese modern view of reincarnation is that it's assumed that you can achieve spiritual growth through reincarnation, which imply that one's past life and decisions they made have some impact on the present life, it can happen to everyone, as long as you are self-aware and take responsibility for what is going on in your present life. "Colorful" is one anime film that explores this concept. I think this is what they are going for from the start but the show is just really careless or ignorant to do a proper exposition if that's the purpose of the system. But even if they do the exposition well the efficiency of the system is still highly questionable. It's no more than "it's easier to write a story when we criticize how a circle is not supposed to be drawn as a triangle!" A fallacy of its own.
raveninthemuddleMar 13, 2015 7:07 PM
Mar 13, 2015 7:35 PM

Aug 2013
heartwarming episode..
that grandma is the wife of grandpa in death billiards! D:
Mar 13, 2015 7:42 PM

Sep 2014
We finally get to know her name, Chiyuki, even cuter than she already is.
Oculus is quite scary for a god and I wonder what's going to happen to Decim.
Mar 13, 2015 7:46 PM

Aug 2013
I bet it'll only get more intense from here—it's a shame there's only a couple episodes left. Really liked that subtle throwback to Death Billiards.
Mar 13, 2015 8:51 PM

Aug 2013
Loved the subtle nods to Death Billiards in there.

Oculus's creepy tentacley beard that sucks memories really caught me off guard. Thought Clavis was gonna get messed up for a second there.

Scene after ending song... Is that a Harada-kun i spy?
Mar 13, 2015 9:14 PM

Apr 2014
KirijoCorp said:
Oculus's creepy tentacley beard that sucks memories really caught me off guard. Thought Clavis was gonna get messed up for a second there.

lmao parasyte flashbacks b/c the way it engulfed Clavis' head
Mar 13, 2015 9:35 PM

Oct 2013
Hmm Oculus is an interesting character
Mar 13, 2015 9:37 PM
Mar 2014
Mich666 said:
AaaaaaKun said:

I think your problem with the show is that you try to debunk just about everything logically. But that doesn't work here, this show should be approached on emotional level

because it doesn't have to be logical as long as it gives feels?
vegetablespiritMar 14, 2015 5:41 AM
Mar 13, 2015 9:38 PM

Sep 2013
GOOD ep.
Better than the last ep. filled with angst and a disappointing conclusion.

The old lady should have seen her death thou.
Mar 13, 2015 10:45 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode, some interesting reveals.
Mar 13, 2015 11:01 PM

Mar 2015
I actually prefer the slow paced, nostalgic and heart-warming episodes of this series. Occulus is somewhat badass with that beard. I'm really looking forward the final episodes.
Mar 14, 2015 12:43 AM

May 2013
Nothing out of the ordinary it seems. Onna, or rather, Chiyuki is going to have her limit expired. I assume that Decim will judge her too considering that she was human after all. Quin and Nona digging up to find Chiyuki's memories. I wonder what will they do with them. Oculus seems to doubt them now.
Overall, pretty laid-back episode.
Mar 14, 2015 1:59 AM

Feb 2014
It's pretty refreshing to see a guest that's calm throughout the judgement, despite knowing that she's now in the afterlife. Sachiko is a really lovely lady and, unlike her husband from the OVA, she was reincarnated.

So Onna's real name is Chiyuki. Nice name, and seeing her past self with her mother was properly heartwarming. =D

Sadly, Chiyuki's time with Decim is slowly running out, and Oculus has had enough being in the dark and thanks to his weird powers, he now knows what Nona's plans are as well as Decim's emotions.

Also, what is Ginti up to at the end there?
Mar 14, 2015 3:57 AM

Jun 2013
Onna's real name is Chiyuki.

Decim questioned about his judgment, but Nona reminded him to judge Chiyuki/Onna or else she'll be turn into a dummy if she goes too long without judgment.

Sachiko, the old lady, realized she's dead without having a memory of how she died. She saw her supposed illustration but she never had a chance to draw it, so she deduced the fact that she's in afterlife.

Lol @ Oculus. I laughed how he absorbed Clavis' memories, and the latter didn't know what happened. Oculus discovered that Decim possesses human emotions.

Interesting episode. I can't wait for the last two episodes.
Mar 14, 2015 3:58 AM

Jun 2013
So she had that weird white hair strip since she was a kid? I wonder if it means anything.

Nice episode, takes a break from the usual seriousness
Mar 14, 2015 4:02 AM

Dec 2013
Best episode in a while, loved this one, 20 mins felt like 5.
Mar 14, 2015 5:18 AM

Jul 2013
Very calm episode, but I'm guessing next ep will have some twists. I'm guessing that since the old man knows about Decim from Clavis it will be Ginti judging Chiyuki and Mayu? They both deserve reincarnation imo but I'm thinking there's something dark about Chiyuki's past since it seems to be a major point of discussion between Nona and Decim.

Also next episode is called "Memento Mori". Hope some Zero Escape fans enjoy that. :D
Mar 14, 2015 5:44 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This was such a beautiful episode that I almost cried

When I realized that the old lady was the wife of the old man from Death Billiards I couldn't stop smiling....I'm glad that they gave it relevance and made it canon just in case people thought that Madhouse just overlooked it.

The game itself was just great and the atmosphere that the old lady brought to this episode was really heartwarming and I just want to give her a big hug because she reminds me of my grandmother

And now we know that Onna's real name is Chiyuki and that in itself is a very beautiful name. I'm really happy that she finally remembers something from her past because that scene with her mom was just way too kawaii

(I'm tearing up now lol)

Oculus is shady as fuck though....I guess one can say that this episode was a calm before the storm type of thing because the look that he had on his face has me very concerned and Ginti's face at the end has me concerned too....I just know that something bad is going to happen with Mayu TwT And I wonder if the person in the PV is the idol guy??

Also, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that maybe Chi-chan died as a kid because of what Nona found out about her memories....Either way I'm also looking forward to seeing what Decim meant at the end too because I really like how his perspective of things are changing
Mar 14, 2015 6:57 AM

Sep 2014
Excellent episode. We FINALLY get to know a decent about Chiyuki's life. Her name is cute as hell too, total fits her. And I wonder what Oculus is gonna do now, I'm curious. Seeing Decim developing emotions was great too.
Mar 14, 2015 7:07 AM

Mar 2014
Ayooo old grandma's husband was old grandpa
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 14, 2015 7:16 AM

Apr 2013
wonderful episode

i guess chiyuki went ice skating on a frozen lake the ice broke and she drowned
Mar 14, 2015 7:27 AM

Jul 2013
Oculus has to be the creepiest thing I've seen in this show. what was up with that beard?!

Also Ginti what has you grinning like that!?
Mar 14, 2015 8:47 AM

Nov 2013
Amazing episode. I loved the slow pace and charm.
Mar 14, 2015 9:05 AM

Apr 2013
great episode!
Mar 14, 2015 9:23 AM

Aug 2014
Liked the episode. The old lady was apparently the wife of the old man in Death Billiards, I really liked how they correlated. I don't know why Oculus is so against having an arbiter with human emotions. Decim is actively defying the system of judgement, though only to make it better, and it looks like he'll judge Chiyuki soon.

I'm really wondering how this will end, there are only two episodes left and the grand scheme of things looks like alot of material to cover. Also, Ginti looks like he's up to something.

4/5
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Mar 14, 2015 11:10 AM

Jul 2009
nameskizo said:
Dang that old lady´s husband is the old man from Death Billiards.

I wonder if "God" is gonna do something about Decim becoming more humanized.

He isn't God himself, just the one more ''closer'' to him than anyone.

I knew this 'Oculus' (ahem) guy was a problem since he appeared.
Mar 14, 2015 11:48 AM

Jul 2012
I like how this related back to Death Billiards. Looking forward to next weeks episode!
Mar 14, 2015 12:12 PM

Dec 2010
for some reason, i'm getting the impression that chiyuki had a tragic death. with 2 episodes left, why do i feel like they won't be able to answer all our questions?

anyways it pains me that the grandma and grandpa won't be reunited :(
Mar 14, 2015 12:28 PM

Aug 2011
I loved the calmness of a simple card game; no crazy over-the-top brutality, just a peaceful an fun game. Sachiko was very positive through it all, not freaking out over being dead. I like her. Also, her being the Death Billiards' granpa's wife, that was a surprise :D
We finally got a name! Chiyuki, huh. Pretty. I'm getting a feeling it's gonna come down to Ginti to maybe judge her, since it doesn't seem to be working with Decim. I mean, why else would he (literally) flush Harada out again? (Then again, why did he even keep him in the 1st place...?) I'm not sure what to expect anymore...

Watch out for Oculus, that was a creepy encounter. I dunno, he always seemed kinda fishy to me.
死ねカス国に帰れ
Mar 14, 2015 1:03 PM

May 2012
It's pretty unfair that some judgements are performed with the pain & fear factor and some are not. But oh well, the whole system seems to be unfair, at least in my opinion...
Mar 14, 2015 1:21 PM

Oct 2013
vodall said:
I feel as if you could fall asleep watching this show and still not miss out on anything. Boring as hell.

Then stop watching it
Code Geass is the most fun anime of all time, objectively speaking.
Mar 14, 2015 2:03 PM

Apr 2011
Very chillaxed episode this week.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2015

215 by Seraschi »»
Yesterday, 2:01 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2015

450 by Seraschi »»
Yesterday, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2015

840 by sxrpente »»
Apr 23, 11:30 AM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2015

663 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 11, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2015

672 by NikoFool »»
Apr 2, 10:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.