Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 1, 2009 1:34 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Great episode, probably the best one as far as development of the relationship between Kyoko and Godai. And the best thing about it is that most of the development wasn't in words, it was Kyoko realizing how much Godai cares for her by putting the coat on her and little things like that. Really good writing is this episode.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 24, 2010 2:14 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Yeah, really nice episode. Specially loved what Godai writes in the card. He's definitely growing up
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 10, 2011 3:36 AM

Feb 2010
Agreed, the ending was worthwhile.
Jul 2, 2011 12:28 PM

Jun 2009
If I was Mitaka I'd retire right now, probably heart broken a bit, but I'd give up. If ur money and social status isn't enough to attract a woman then I don't know what will
Dec 12, 2011 4:32 AM

Sep 2008
meneope said:
If ur money and social status isn't enough to attract a woman then I don't know what will

Maybe a less inflated ego and actually getting a personality? That'd attract a woman, no? o_O

Anyway... Yes, this episode was super sweet. Godai's friend really bugs me sometimes. How can he be so irresponsible and treat others' things so poorly? I hope he finds and gives back Godai's back with everything in it, so Godai can give Kyoko her Christmas gift. Even if it's belated, there's always New Year's Eve for a gift-giving opportunity!
Mar 12, 2012 10:07 AM
Dec 2010
hoho woah really ? Might that have been litte progress in their relationship finally ?
NIce :) "doki doki when waiting for ya" thing :)
Sent with Mal Updater

merle_noir said:
meneope said:
If ur money and social status isn't enough to attract a woman then I don't know what will

Maybe a less inflated ego and actually getting a personality? That'd attract a woman, no? o_O

Anyway... Yes, this episode was super sweet. Godai's friend really bugs me sometimes. How can he be so irresponsible and treat others' things so poorly? I hope he finds and gives back Godai's back with everything in it, so Godai can give Kyoko her Christmas gift. Even if it's belated, there's always New Year's Eve for a gift-giving opportunity!

Agree with less ego thing.
All pll around Godai are pretty much irresponsible to others and keep on making other ppl life harder, what an unlucky guy to be centered in middle of those..
I tough they will pick up his present for Kyoko when Godai said lets go home and lets take it long way. They didn't though :-/
greenmartyMar 12, 2012 10:15 AM
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
May 7, 2012 8:18 AM

Jun 2009
greenmarty said:
hoho woah really ? Might that have been litte progress in their relationship finally ?
NIce :) "doki doki when waiting for ya" thing :)
Sent with Mal Updater

merle_noir said:
meneope said:

Agree with less ego thing.
I don't know what you people understand by personality and the personality-without-ego thing, but whatever meaning you people attach to 'personality', watching this again, I still consistently fail to see anything Godai has to offer more than Mitaka!?!
As for Kyoko in this ep. I think she was incredibly rude by ignoring Mitaka completely and this knowing fair well that he's wooing her and she even left without even saying a word.
Jul 14, 2012 5:31 PM

Oct 2009
Great ep, finally some progress. Wow, we're on the third X-mas already...although we are on ep 40. It's been two years and the development between Godai & Kyoko hasn't progressed much...hopefully things will pick up soon, and seriously why does Godai continue his semi-relationship with Nanao? Hope he ends it soon!
It was nice to see Kyoko's emotion towards Godai, she often worries very anxiously whenever he's not around.
El Psy Congroo

まだまだだね!!!
Jan 9, 2013 10:04 PM

Dec 2011
Good filler arc.
I liked seeing Kyoko worry about Godai.
Although, it seems too sudden how she's caring for him compared to earlier episodes.
Aug 8, 2015 6:22 PM
Mar 2014
This is the best singular anime episode I've seen in a while, and my favourite from the show so far. I hope there's more like this down the road.
Oct 7, 2015 9:57 AM
May 2015
Amazing, amazing, amazing! What a ending!!
Dec 31, 2015 7:19 PM

Dec 2014
okso this was 3rd christmas episode.... I think
May 7, 2016 11:26 AM

Jan 2013
Apparently it is a filler arc and a damn good one. Can't wait to finish off this anime and go read the manga!
Aug 10, 2016 9:10 PM

Jan 2013
Hopefully this development sticks a little.
May 17, 2017 12:56 PM

May 2009
Even though I felt sorry that Mitaka wasn't able to get Kyoko's attention throughout the party, I still think he wouldn't have succeeded with Akemi's constant clinging to him lol
Godai sure had bad luck throughout the episode, but it showed his goodwill and dedication to accomplish his promise to Kyoko, even though it brought back memories of Souichirou. The ending was also nice because Kyoko forgot about the rock to go after Godai :)
Oct 5, 2017 4:34 AM

May 2015
Awwwww that was so nice. Really like this episode. Akemi is real hero. :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Sep 24, 2018 5:43 AM

Apr 2014
good episode but how many years has it been lol, feel like every few episodes its either a year anniversary of that or holiday of this
Nov 2, 2018 1:29 PM

Aug 2013
RedPlaty said:
good episode but how many years has it been lol, feel like every few episodes its either a year anniversary of that or holiday of this

like 2 years because the first christmas was just when kyoko arrived
Feb 3, 2019 12:11 PM

Nov 2016
Great episode, you could totally see how much they care about each other.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 20, 2019 3:10 PM

Jul 2015
Godai goes through pretty great lengths in order to get the rock back, shows how much he cares about Kyoko

Feb 2, 2020 9:15 PM

Jun 2016
Very stressful first half. Anyway. good episode.

The tenants were like: 'ok now Coach is gonna get jiggly in there with akemi.'

since Mr ichinose is also there I wonder with whom Kentaro stayed with.

Poor Yotsuya dancing alone,I don't think he has any other friends other than those tenants. No wonder he likes to mess with Godai.
Oct 5, 2020 5:00 PM

May 2012
good episode, had a tear or 2 towards the end of it
Jun 9, 2021 2:33 PM

Jul 2020
This episode was absolutely beautiful. Man I wish I can cherish this old animation forever
Jul 8, 2021 8:50 PM
Jul 2018
The character Godai was incredibly mature in this episode. I don't know if it's just the dub VA change or perhaps how the style changes each episode -- but Godai seemed a lot less frantic, even if he was chasing different trains and digging through the trash. He was relatively calm throughout which is a display of personal growth I'd say, unless otherwise unintentional.

Godai seems a bit older in these later episodes. Was there a time skip I don't know about?

On the other hand, my only issue was that the manager Kyoko spent an entire party visibly depressed and secluded, simply because Godai didn't show up. Talk about a party-pooper lol. She could've at least feigned SOME interest. I think her 'depressed scenes' were a bit much, and they could've dialed it back a little bit. If she's gonna mope the entire party, then it's clear she's in love with Godai. To a level that STILL seems a bit early for a series of this length. We're not even at the halfway point yet. The manager usually tries not to appear emotional in front of the tenants, but she couldn't have been more obvious here. Even the coach would have no choice but to believe she's not only crushing on Godai but in love with him -- which is why I think the show should've dialed back a bit, because Mitaka still needs the instilled hope that he's a candidate. Of course, he did notice Kyoko's sadness and tried to do something about it with Akemi -- admirable, for sure. Mitaka somehow matured as a character big time. That was another highlight for the episode. But once again, backs up my complaint -- it's uncharacteristic for Godai's rival to ensure that Godai has meaningful alone time with the manager. At least before the halfway point of the show.
(Not the anime's fault -- I'm sure they're just adapting the manga.)
(This complaint of mine is very trivial too. I didn't affect my enjoyment of the episode.)

This was a great episode and is definitely a highlight for the entire series though. Really good plot, and a unique one too, revolving around the rock.
removed-userJul 8, 2021 8:54 PM
Feb 23, 2023 9:09 PM

Jun 2022
Aww that was really wholesome, made me tear up a little bit. Definitely the best episode so far, and the best Christmas episode out of the 3 too (although the previous ones weren't that bad either). It was neat to see how Godai figured out where the rock was. The letter was nice too. 
Mar 9, 2023 7:44 AM
Mar 2023
I really love the bgm when Kyoko reads the letter from Godai, a beatiful arrangement of "Silent Night", i'm looking for it from tooo time (about 30year..) 
Can you guys help me to find it ?
Apr 15, 2023 1:28 PM

May 2022
Awesome episode and I agree with every comment here so far.

I really liked the violin/sello part at 16:55-> Godai san read the card he got from Kozue chan and decided to write similar one about Kyoko san's stone :)

Akemi san keeps teasing Mitaka san knowing nothing will happen between them and she kept him away from Kyoko san.

Kyoko san was thinking about Godain san all the time she was at the party, not even Mitaka san interested her. And she ran after Godai san - again - while tipsy - in snow.

I like it when this show takes things serious for a while and don't ruin the moment with some witty comedy.
PozoyMar 15, 12:38 PM
Jun 19, 2023 7:16 AM

Apr 2016
Well, if he's not going to mess up the situation, he can always trust his friend to do it for him :D

Shun needs to give up, she's a lost cause.
Nov 12, 2023 9:25 PM
Apr 2019
Part of me feels pity for mitaka but godai deserved this win. Love how kyoko left the rock behind to chase after godai really shows the progress of their relationship.
Mar 15, 12:48 PM

May 2022
When Kyoko san said her heart was racing while she was wating for Godai san to arrive, was it because she was wating to get the rock back, or was it because she wanted to know what the rock actually was, or was she just wating for Godai san himself. We knew the answer when she ran after Godai san and left the rock behind her :)

As you can imagine, we got a bunch of trains in this episode. I try to count the same train only once but it was bit tricky in this episode.
New episode record and we got over hundred already!
Trains
EPs 33/96
In total 103 (+11)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 19 Discussion

meneope - Jun 19, 2011

34 by Playcool »»
Yesterday, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 10 Discussion

hellogoodbye - Jun 3, 2011

30 by Ethan348 »»
Apr 26, 6:00 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 12 Discussion

hellogoodbye - Jun 4, 2011

20 by Playcool »»
Apr 26, 3:48 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 6 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 25, 2009

29 by Playcool »»
Apr 26, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 4 Discussion

good-time - Jul 28, 2010

20 by Playcool »»
Apr 26, 5:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.