Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 25, 2009 5:05 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Y'know this would have made for a nice twist if the summery for this show didn't out right tell you that Kyoko's was married and said husband died. Still, this episode showed me that this series can do drama and, by all accounts, do it well. The best thing I can say is that it didn't feel cheep, it felt real. So, good job.

On a side note, I'm really digging Maison Ikkoku's soundtrack so far. Especially the OP.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 29, 2010 9:20 AM

Oct 2009
I din't read the summary and it is a twist for me. I didn't think that there is a place for drama here.
Dec 19, 2010 12:13 PM

Apr 2009
I didn't read the summary either... so it was a rather shocking scene...
May 31, 2011 11:33 PM

Feb 2010
Godai's monologue is, in a word, haunting. To paraphrase, "If he were alive, she would have discovered faults. Death has made him invincible. [...] Her memories will grow; flower. Don't ignore reality. Your husband is dead. I'll be a good man and protect you. Kyoko, look ahead. Watch where you're going. Look ahead..."

Speak of human insight. Speak of greed. This kind of writing is almost too good for anime.
May 31, 2011 11:42 PM

Feb 2010
Having gone through the trouble of rewording that, I'll add that there are probably better alternatives to #TenchiDomain subs.
Nov 18, 2011 2:33 AM

Sep 2008
I was a bit disappointed that the whole dramatic scene with Godai saying that was killed with a stab of comedy. What's so bad with keeping it serious for a while? And this was unexpected to me, too, but I'm glad it ironed out the whole thing with 'Souichiro'. It was starting to get very creepy that she was so attached to her dog, and now at least there's a good explanation for it.
May 25, 2012 7:06 AM

Jan 2010
"Soichiro is husband Otonashi" O_____O

*shock*
Jul 7, 2012 10:48 PM

Oct 2009
Ah so Soichiro's her deceased husband, now it's making sense. And yeah I didn't read the summary either, so it was a nice twist for me as well. =)
El Psy Congroo

まだまだだね!!!
Sep 30, 2015 9:44 AM
May 2015
Wow! Amazing! What an episode!
Aug 5, 2016 5:43 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode, I can see why it would take 96 episodes now. A lot of healing and moving on before she could start seeing Godai as a lover.
Apr 6, 2017 6:34 PM

May 2009
The moment Godai is told that the deceased was Kyoko's husband was quite fitting, especially with the wind fiercely blowing and the serious mood. Godai, try your best to win Kyoko's heart, but also help her mover on first!
Sep 27, 2017 10:45 AM

May 2015
Awww I read summary :((((
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Oct 24, 2017 4:03 PM

Jun 2016
This episode is my favorite so far. I really like what her secret was.
Nov 13, 2018 10:46 AM

Nov 2016
Lol, then I'm lucky that I didn't read the whole synopsis.

This will make things regarding Kyoko and her relationship with Godai way more interesting.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 11, 2019 9:59 PM

Jul 2014
It's a good thing I don't read the synopsis before I watch the episode. This was shocking and really entertaining. Tbh I love Kyoko with her hair down. Beautiful episode.
"That smile was like the sun on a hot summer day...with eyes like ice."
Sep 16, 2019 9:44 AM

Jul 2015
Kyoko's relation with Soichiro has been revealed, I must say the reveal was imressive

I wonder how Godai is going to handle this, now that he knows

Jan 6, 2020 9:05 AM

Jun 2016
Good thing I did not read the summary or I did but forgot. it was a nice twist.
Dec 21, 2020 12:36 PM
Jul 2018
I REALLY like the dub voice of Kyoko's niece. WOW. I can't believe of all dubs, it's a 1990 dub that hires an ACTUAL female child to VOICE a female child... instead of an adult woman.
Too bad they couldn't do that for the kid living in Godai's boarding house as well.
But this IRL female child that voices the niece... she does an EXCELLENT job. This is a 90's dub, where dialogue is generally bad, even for adults and especially for children. I was surprised by the voice of the niece, as it's better than most dubs for little girls in modern anime as well.
It's almost out of place here because it's just that much better than the rest of the dubbing.
Well performed.
Mar 10, 2021 5:15 AM

Mar 2016
karineyn said:
This episode is my favorite so far. I really like what her secret was.

For me as well. I have liked the aesthetic in every episode so far, but the story developments in this episode made me want to keep watching.

My blog about about games and stories of any kind. Recent posts: Captain Tsubasa Rewatch Season 1 & Season 2.
May 29, 2021 1:19 PM

Jan 2018
I think I read the synopsis a long time ago before I even started watching Urusei Yatsura, and then forgot about it. And then before I reached episode 6 I read it again... I get it that it’s only the 6th episode of a series that has nearly 100 episodes but still this will discourage me into reading the synopsis of future anime. I remember the synopsis of Re:Zero Season 1 used the name "Satella" to refer to the silver haired half-elf so it was surprisingly spoiler free even for the first 3 episodes.

0451May 30, 2021 1:11 PM
May 30, 2021 1:15 PM

Jan 2018
merle_noir said:
I was a bit disappointed that the whole dramatic scene with Godai saying that was killed with a stab of comedy. What's so bad with keeping it serious for a while?
Sure there's a comedic flair but I didn’t see it that way. At least not the only way. I think it perfectly encapsulates that although Godai talks big, he's nowhere near being worthy to Kyoko, at least not in his current form. He still has a long way to go.
Jun 28, 2021 3:38 PM
Sep 2019
hellogoodbye said:
Godai's monologue is, in a word, haunting. To paraphrase, "If he were alive, she would have discovered faults. Death has made him invincible. [...] Her memories will grow; flower. Don't ignore reality. Your husband is dead. I'll be a good man and protect you. Kyoko, look ahead. Watch where you're going. Look ahead..."

Speak of human insight. Speak of greed. This kind of writing is almost too good for anime.

so true that monolouge was powerful
sucks they turned it to a comedy at the end
Aug 27, 2022 9:37 PM

Apr 2016
The beginning with his friends asking about his relationship with the manager and then the scene of Hanae joking about Kyouko ignoring Yuusaku were funny.

It's weird seeing Yuusaku being insightful when referring to Kyouko's husband, if only he would apply that way of thinking to everything else about his life.
Sep 1, 2022 6:27 PM
Mar 2016
"Godai? Look ahead when walking down the road."
Feb 6, 2023 7:58 PM
Mar 2019
I already knew about Kyoko's dead husband before I starting the series. So when Kyoko says Soichiro on the roof in episode 2 and screams his name in episode 3 I actually felt sad for her. When Kyoko's revealed that that's her husband grave I got chills I blame the OST.
May 5, 2023 8:50 AM

May 2016
FMmatron said:
Lol, then I'm lucky that I didn't read the whole synopsis.

This will make things regarding Kyoko and her relationship with Godai way more interesting.
I didn't read it either luck I guess.
Well things gonna get a lot more interesting and complicated thanks to this.
Jan 30, 12:56 PM

May 2022
"I have a feeling fate is someway involved"

Trains
EPs 4/96
In total 8 (+1)
Mar 27, 3:28 AM

Nov 2022
Godai's monologue in the end, IMHO, has aged well given the track the manga traversed. What began as an immature sign of possessiveness would become something more nuanced and beautiful. And with the outro music playing, the feels is weighing upon my chest. This is, beautiful.
Apr 2, 5:26 AM

Jun 2021
Good thing I did not read the summary or I did but forgot. it was a nice twist.

Yeah. Poor Kyoko, she seemed too young for having already faced something this horrible, but it actually happened and i'm fine for how everything was handled. Godai's speech seemed in fact an immature sign of possessiveness, but i think it can become something better even if i didn't enjoy the series a lot until now.
Yesterday, 10:41 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Well, I already knew that due to stupid summary, so it was not shocking, but I wonder how it would have been otherwise.

I liked how they revealed the secret, I guess they will use that soundtrack whenever such a mood comes eventually again, for a very well old anime this was well done.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 19 Discussion

meneope - Jun 19, 2011

34 by Playcool »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 10 Discussion

hellogoodbye - Jun 3, 2011

30 by Ethan348 »»
Yesterday, 6:00 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 12 Discussion

hellogoodbye - Jun 4, 2011

20 by Playcool »»
Yesterday, 3:48 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 4 Discussion

good-time - Jul 28, 2010

20 by Playcool »»
Yesterday, 5:11 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 1 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 25, 2009

38 by Playcool »»
Apr 24, 5:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.