Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 19, 2011 9:32 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I didn't know they had leggings in the 80s - I just saw Akemi wearing one! I tell you if I didn't know this was the 80s I'd never have believed it. The story line is a bit silly at time but quite realistic - I love that.
Nov 18, 2011 7:37 PM

Sep 2011
I don't understand wtf Godai was trying to do I mean why was he trying to throw her down??? No girl is gonna like that, to me he is kinda to forceful always trying to grab her and shit its a little weird.
Nov 29, 2011 2:36 AM

Sep 2008
xLegionx said:
I don't understand wtf Godai was trying to do I mean why was he trying to throw her down??? No girl is gonna like that, to me he is kinda to forceful always trying to grab her and shit its a little weird.

Have to agree. He seriously seems to be lacking in the common sense department... He seems no better than a molester sometimes. @_@;;
Jul 12, 2012 4:01 PM

Oct 2009
merle_noir said:
xLegionx said:

Have to agree. He seriously seems to be lacking in the common sense department... He seems no better than a molester sometimes. @_@;;

He is certainly a sukoshi over desperate. I'm sure things would have surely backfired had he actually succeeding in grabbing her or w/e he was attempting...just think how things went after he tried that minor kiss after their failed first date...something tells me this would have gone a lot worse lol.
El Psy Congroo

まだまだだね!!!
Dec 26, 2012 12:27 PM

Dec 2011
Great episode...
After reading so far into the manga, watching this episode reminded me of what the relationship was like.
Feb 11, 2013 5:30 PM

Apr 2012
Godai certainly has some strange ideas about how he should advance his relationship with Kyoko. I think him creeping up behind her while she was preparing the food was one of his worst though - it probably is not a good idea to surprise a woman when she is on edge and wielding a knife.
Jul 29, 2013 6:27 AM
Aug 2007
This is one of the things I don't like about how Godai behaves.. he seriously looked like a rapist when he was trying to grab her.. I mean, what else does he want to do after taking hold of her?!

Another thing I don't like about him is how he keeps saying that she should forget Soichiro and keeps saying that "he's dead" so insensitively..

Two minor things, but they both annoy me.. its pretty much the only thing about the whole show that annoys me though..
May 8, 2014 1:16 PM

Mar 2010
This episode was incredible.

The way they juxtaposed the two scenes after he leaves the room was really cinematic. And, that heartrending "Godai's a real gentleman. I'm a coward." line made for a very emotional moment.

You could tell they spent a lot of time on this one. There was even a little "camera" movement style animation when he went for the grab under the kotatsu.

This is the kind of stuff 10s are made of.
Jul 24, 2014 1:06 AM

Apr 2012
This dude's a fuckin rapist. How do these nerds praise this as a "good romance"?
Oct 2, 2015 1:01 AM
May 2015
Slow development of love, I like it very much,
Oct 2, 2015 1:04 AM
May 2015
MyLonesomeCowboy said:
This episode was incredible.

The way they juxtaposed the two scenes after he leaves the room was really cinematic. And, that heartrending "Godai's a real gentleman. I'm a coward." line made for a very emotional moment.

You could tell they spent a lot of time on this one. There was even a little "camera" movement style animation when he went for the grab under the kotatsu.

This is the kind of stuff 10s are made of.
this
Apr 30, 2016 6:18 PM

Jun 2014
I'm loling at some of the left-wing comments in this thread.

Godai, a rapist? Please, that was called "Makin' the moves" back in the day. Women would never initiate anything, especially not in those days.

Although, It's probably best that he didn't do anything, as she's still a bit attached to her dead husband.

Aug 7, 2016 1:04 AM

Jan 2013
Seiya said:
I'm loling at some of the left-wing comments in this thread.

Godai, a rapist? Please, that was called "Makin' the moves" back in the day. Women would never initiate anything, especially not in those days.

Although, It's probably best that he didn't do anything, as she's still a bit attached to her dead husband.

Interesting insight.

This episode was pretty frustrating, good thing none of the moves worked after he tried to escalate things after failing to hold her hand. But, this anime is good at not taking anything too far to the point of becoming too annoying. As it ended with them going out to the shrine. They need to bond more before anything will happen.
Apr 20, 2017 12:29 PM

May 2009
Godai needs to stop listening to his "Johnny"! You're in love with her yet that behavior looks like someone who just wanted a "fling". He better pull his act together! ( I know Godai is better than this, so he better not do this type of stuff again!)
Sep 28, 2017 1:55 PM

May 2015
For 3/4 of this episode Godai looks like rapist.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 27, 2018 6:56 AM
Aug 2018
I wish Godai wasn't so perverted. He tries to "touch" Kyoko whenever he is near her.
"She could cry or ream, and no one would interrupt us!"
"I'll take her for my own!" Urgh. I agree with FrozenRaider, rapist alert.

That's the one character trait I hate the most about Godai. Is he really so megahorny?

Would be funny if Kyoko would start taking Karate lessons to beat Goudai whenever he comes too close.

I guess their relationship would develop way faster aswell if he wouldn't ruin every single romantic moment with her by forcing himself upon her.

tr25a3Nov 27, 2018 7:11 AM
Dec 2, 2018 4:16 PM

Nov 2016
Godai has still a lot to learn, but first he should grow a pair.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 12, 2018 1:39 PM

Apr 2009
tr25a3 said:
I wish Godai wasn't so perverted. He tries to "touch" Kyoko whenever he is near her.

That's the one character trait I hate the most about Godai. Is he really so megahorny?

Would be funny if Kyoko would start taking Karate lessons to beat Goudai whenever he comes too close.

I guess their relationship would develop way faster aswell if he wouldn't ruin every single romantic moment with her by forcing himself upon her.

Raitei said:
This is one of the things I don't like about how Godai behaves.. he seriously looked like a rapist when he was trying to grab her.. I mean, what else does he want to do after taking hold of her?!

Another thing I don't like about him is how he keeps saying that she should forget Soichiro and keeps saying that "he's dead" so insensitively..

Two minor things, but they both annoy me.. its pretty much the only thing about the whole show that annoys me though..

I was waiting for someone to point these things out. I've heard lots of praises for this anime. It is entertaining alright, but Godai creeps me out at times and this episode especially was uncomfortable to watch even though it was probably meant to be funny.I hope this changes soon. Also, I feel like Godai doesn't truly care about Kyoko, he only loves her pretty face and thinks about laying her all the time. Even though they are living together for over a year he still seems to be in love with an image of her.
shiroi-ookamiDec 12, 2018 2:17 PM
Dec 12, 2018 2:49 PM

Jun 2012
shiroi-ookami said:
tr25a3 said:

Raitei said:

I was waiting for someone to point these things out. I've heard lots of praises for this anime. It is entertaining alright, but Godai creeps me out at times and this episode especially was uncomfortable to watch even though it was probably meant to be funny.I hope this changes soon. Also, I feel like Godai doesn't truly care about Kyoko, he only loves her pretty face and thinks about laying her all the time. Even though they are living together for over a year he still seems to be in love with an image of her.

How much have you actually watched? Putting the moves on someone forcefully is not rape. These days putting the moves on someone is frowned upon but back in the day it wasn't exactly socially unacceptable. It was definitely not seen as rape.

Godai's early attempts to win Kyoko over are immature yes, because he is a stupid kid and doesn't know any better way to go about it - and he is obviously unsuccessful with it. This is less than 20 episodes in. He doesn't ultimately win her over by immaturely putting the moves on her, it's part of his character development.
Shoot first, think never.
Dec 12, 2018 6:49 PM

Apr 2009
Open-Dice said:
shiroi-ookami said:

How much have you actually watched? Putting the moves on someone forcefully is not rape. These days putting the moves on someone is frowned upon but back in the day it wasn't exactly socially unacceptable. It was definitely not seen as rape.

Godai's early attempts to win Kyoko over are immature yes, because he is a stupid kid and doesn't know any better way to go about it - and he is obviously unsuccessful with it. This is less than 20 episodes in. He doesn't ultimately win her over by immaturely putting the moves on her, it's part of his character development.

I'm 21 episodes in. Even if it was prob socially accepted back in the days I'm still creeped out by his behavior. And I'm glad that it's not "socially accepted" anymore, or at least not in some countries. But I highly doubt, that putting moves forward means "I'll have my ways with her and she can scream all she wants, nobody is gonna hear her". The tennis coach guy was pushy as well, but he never acted that way. Yes, he did touch her boobs once, but that was an accident.

And I still think that he doesn't seem to really care about her, he wants her to forget her husband, gets frustrated over it but never bothered to ask her about her feelings, why she wouldn't want to forget her dead husband and so on. Has he ever tried to really get to know her? So far I don't see much effort. I'm still watching it since it is entertaining, and I hope that he grows and become mature as you said. I'm still early in the show, this is just my initial impression.

shiroi-ookamiDec 12, 2018 6:55 PM
Dec 12, 2018 7:10 PM
Aug 2018
He does mature. Although it takes him quiet a while. The story spans over several years, can't recall how many exactly, but I think it was 4+.

But yeah, in the beginning, he acts like a horny brat. But it gets better and it's worth the journey.
Feb 16, 2019 8:37 PM
Jul 2017
This episode is gross, by far the most controversial of them all so far. Godai is beyond inappropriate with how he contemplates overtaking Kyoko. Its clear that his better judgement didnt even give him shame for his brutish behavior. While he believes his cowardice kept him from achieving something (something very rapey) he didnt actually do anything and he is prone to an overactive imagination. i understand that Kyoko is also in fear of succumbing to the sexual whims of her main love interest while being left all alone with him, but homey got no game! he could have even used this time to connect for real for real bc usually the only thing holding him back are his housemates. it was too much honestly
Sep 18, 2019 12:44 AM

Jul 2015
Godai had some nice safe there with the "i want to go skiing too"

Nov 13, 2019 5:04 PM
Feb 2016
I'm annoyed by how many people think Godai is trying to rape Kyoko. Seriously all he's trying to do is initiate contact with her. If she rejects I'm sure he won't rape her. Some of you are weird for thinking that. It's clear that Kyoko has feelings for Godai but rejects them because he still doesn't want to betray her dead husband. I'm fairly sure that Godai knows this and is trying to get her to move on. I'm sure that Kyoko is afraid to be tempted by Godai so that's why she hoped he wouldn't pull anything.
Jan 14, 2020 10:20 PM

Jun 2016
Godai's virgin ass was trying to do all kind of shit to the manager lmao.

I won't be surprised if his imagination kills him in the future,this dude kisses street lamps,falls in bath water so next he will imagine himself on a highway driving with Manager and will end up getting ran over by a truck fr.

Also it shocked me when the little brat called his father I did not even know the dad lives there with them or I missed it (skipped the filler ep) but anyway that dad must be one chill ass guy who stays in his room all day and don't bother with the other tenants.
Feb 7, 2021 4:22 AM
Jul 2019
This has to be the worst episode or one of the worst...🤦🤦🤦
Jun 30, 2021 7:44 PM
Sep 2019
they shouldve made this an earlier episode
kinda makes all the developments in ep 15,17 go to waste
b.t.w the art in this episode was amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
all the characters look so aesthetically pleasing
especially kyoko-san
May 2, 2022 6:03 PM
Mar 2015
Kyouko desperately trying to trust Godai while he thinks about raping/forcing himself on her.
Truly the pinnacle of discomfort, at least for me. Many seem to enjoy such a romantic setting.

I won't give up though, I just have to hope that he stops being an idiot before he does something irreversible and unforgivable.
Sep 6, 2022 5:47 AM
Sep 2019
Why is goday being a creep? Smh.
Nov 15, 2022 8:32 PM

Apr 2016
I had to chuckle to how the misunderstanding for Kyouko was that he is not a creep like Akami warned her and she's just undervalue him but hey! Kyouko! at least he ask for your consent when he was daydreaming about it.

This show has yet to start getting good when it comes to romance.
Jul 2, 2023 9:55 PM
Mar 2019
Gordai- kun better watch out while Kyoko is using a knife in the kitchen not unless he wants a knife in the eye.

Kyoko & Akami made Gordai seem like he was sxx offender 
but then I remembered he did walk in on Kyoko when she was topless a couple episodes back 
so I think that's were they would get the idea.

As for the way Gordai was acting with Kyoko his inner Ataru Moroboshi was coming out.
Oct 29, 2023 8:33 AM

Jul 2022
Character development i guess?
Jan 22, 2:04 PM
Sep 2020
Adding myself to the list of people over the years who are watching this series for their first time and found Godai's behavior extremely offputting but are keeping fingers crossed that he matures significantly since there are so many praises for this anime

Seriously, as someone else said, knowing Kyoko was panicking inside while Godai was just thinking "She could cry and ream and no one would hear!" was extremely uncomfortable. I find that currently, I hate Godai. I can only hope he truly does mature and become respectable, because I don't WANT to hate him, but right now I do
Feb 4, 8:45 PM

May 2022
Trains
EPs 14/96
In total 29 (+2)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 1 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 25, 2009

38 by Playcool »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 63 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 9, 2009

31 by Inter_anime »»
Apr 21, 12:20 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 9 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 26, 2009

24 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 21, 10:49 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 8 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 26, 2009

30 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 21, 8:47 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 7 Discussion

hellogoodbye - Jun 2, 2011

20 by breddie_sucks »»
Apr 14, 9:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.