Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 25, 2014 10:20 AM
Dec 2008
Glasslip S2: Kakeru returns....with more weed!
Sep 25, 2014 10:24 AM
Jul 2018
I feel bad for Jonathan.

Because she's a hen. Named Jonathan.

Screw the philosopher's name shit, don't they realize these are female chickens?

*plot twist*
Sep 25, 2014 10:36 AM

Jun 2010
P.A. WORKS DIDN'T FIND A WAY.

Time to add this to troll recommendations for newcomers, saying that they should marathon it for the exciting awesome twist at the end.
Pure evil.
Sep 25, 2014 10:38 AM
Sep 2014
I joined this site for one sole reason.....

Can someone explain to me the significance of Kakeru's 'clones'? I don't get what happened at all just about.

I feel like I'm in English class and the professor just asked the class about the significance of 'X' passage and I am the only one in class who didn't understand wtf I just read.

I was really hoping for closure on the whole visions thing, and was just about to pass it off when the very end, she had to have another one by staring at the sun. Granted, when I look directly at the sun, I see visions for about 5-10 minutes while my retinas are dying.
Sep 25, 2014 10:39 AM

Nov 2012
so uhh.. david disappeared?
well, whatever. i'm just glad it's over.
2/10
Sep 25, 2014 10:44 AM

Oct 2010
It's funny how after people enjoyed Nagi no Asukara so much, many were really hyping this anime, only for it to disappoint big time. While I could understand its appeal, I personally found Nagi to be severely overrated, so I didn't start watching this with any expectations... And yet I was still disappointed, Lol.
Sep 25, 2014 10:45 AM

Jan 2010
Well this was bad. It somehow hooked me up in the beginning for it was strange but then probably the fire nation attacked or something and it went all to hell. Only good thigs were the scenery and ost but srsly.. what the hell was that all about. Every week i was like "maan, what the hell" and was expecting some good explanation or at least resolution or just... something! But, nah! go to hell! shoo shoo!

BTW "the part" where they hated David for... breathing? I suppose. That was probably one of the most WHY? moments this year.

4/10 and now I am closing both my eyes and praising the sun in hope that PA Works won't make something similar.
Sep 25, 2014 10:46 AM

Jun 2010
Cloudcroft said:

Can someone explain to me the significance of Kakeru's 'clones'?

AUTISM.
Sep 25, 2014 10:55 AM
Oct 2010
Laciie said:
Can someone explain to me??? Like what happened? What was this series even about? What????
It's just a normal teen romance story... between two schizophrenics.
xbobx said:
Cloudcroft said:

Can someone explain to me the significance of Kakeru's 'clones'?

AUTISM.
Narcissistic schizophrenia... like what happened to Jack Sparrow at the world's end. XD
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Sep 25, 2014 11:01 AM

Mar 2012
Finally glad this series is over, especially since it was a big slap in the face for those that were expecting "another Nagi no Asukara" from it.

Final score: 2/10
Sep 25, 2014 11:08 AM
Jun 2010
Rayzer said:
cavr said:
Never hated so much a series like this before... It is finally over, at least...

Mostly high production values, but the story and most of the characters were just awful, making the whole thing just painful to watch. Tried to give it the benefit of the doubt up until the end, but it really did not deliver for me at all.

Seems like from now on I am going to need to lower my expectations towards PA Works productions a bit (I did not like Red Data Girl either, but I also did not hate it like this). You cannot win every time after all… :-(

2/10

Congrats with your very first post and a HATE Post.

Well... You have to start somewhere. ;-)

And... I am not a native speaker, so... It makes me REALLY lazy to write anything whatsoever in another language. This ending just got me motivated enough to do it.

Besides, I did say that I hated the show, but I did not use any "hate speach" itself (you know the internet... It could have been MUCH worse than that). I even praised its production values. It is just the story that drives me nuts. And it's just my opinion after all.

Anyway... I will do my best to have nicer things to say next time and thank you for your comment. :-)
Sep 25, 2014 11:11 AM

Apr 2014
This show really is fragments...of incoherent writing and contrived imagery/symbolism.
The plot, like Touko's beads, is tossed and scrambled, not linked together and did not guide character development. Maybe this show wasn't suppose to make sense?
Anyway, not really my cup of tea...4/10 for the music and scenery.
Sep 25, 2014 11:12 AM

Dec 2012
Christ, this is the worst anime I've ever watched.
Sep 25, 2014 11:13 AM

Oct 2011
What an ending...

Kakeru will be back for the fireworks in Winter.
Sep 25, 2014 11:13 AM

Mar 2014
Cloudcroft said:

Can someone explain to me the significance of Kakeru's 'clones'? I don't get what happened at all just about.

It's like a process of complicated thoughts, "What should I do ?" run/eat/sleep - So each choice represents a clone, it's similar to angel and devil in many other anime which represents good and bad doing choices.

Well if you don't like the explanation above, then maybe this helps :

Sep 25, 2014 11:17 AM

Jan 2009
It was one, or maybe even The most f*cked up coming-of-age teen drama anime I've ever seen.
Sep 25, 2014 11:18 AM

Jun 2010
I can't believe I watched the whole thing.
Sep 25, 2014 11:19 AM

Apr 2014
cometta222 said:
i enjoyed this series. the ending was beautiful. the moments between touko and kakeru really did pulled my heart string. this is my understanding; so, kakeru decided to follow his mother, but no matter apart they are, they can still see and hear each other. kakeru wont be alone anymore. it's a bit heart-rending but their relationship is honest.

8/10 for me ^_^

Agree, Touko and Kakeru had some great moments throughout the show. It was a nice depiction of a teenage summer love. A sort of open ending, but I don't mind. I kind of hope he packed up the tent and is living in his house now (that's assuming he's attending the school and didn't leave with his mom). But even if he's not there, I know they will see each other again :D

rodac said:
I think one of the keys to this episode were the conversations between Touko's parents, and also between Touko and her mother. We have the exchange about how her father proposed during the meteor shower, and soon after we're shown all three couples watching the meteor shower in separate locations. Touko's mother also talks about the "fragments of the future" and acknowledges that Touko is an adult (as does Kakeru's father to him in another conversation). The way her family left Touko in the care of Kakeru's also looked pretty much like a symbolic acknowledgement of their relationship ("Please take care of our daughter..." although not directly said was pretty much implied).

Back in the first episode we were given the foreshadowing that this would be the last summer that the original five friends would be together. That was true, as by the end of the summer things have changed forever--Hiro and Sachi go back to school as a couple, Yuki goes back alone as Yanagi rides the train to her modeling career, and Touko too is alone with her thoughts of Kakeru--the stranger who played a pivotal role in disrupting the comfortable world of childhood and moving them forward into adult relationships. This really was a slice of life, not in the sense we usually think of--cute girls doing cute things in a meaningless club after school--but in the sense of showing fragments of an important transition between two stages of their lives. It wasn't an easy show and it required a lot more effort than we normally have to expend to understand, but I think it was rewarding in the end.

I loved the family scenes! Great analysis by the way, I enjoyed reading your post :) I think enough was answered for me. I'm glad the supernatural elements were downplayed actually. I like the slow slice of life theme about growing up much better. A little bittersweet, but just a lovely show about friendship and romance :)
Sep 25, 2014 11:20 AM
Mar 2008
Damn, nothing happened from start to finish.
Sep 25, 2014 11:22 AM

Apr 2013
Wow, this anime is even worse than Pupa. P.A makes DEEN look good
Sep 25, 2014 11:24 AM

Jan 2013
y123y said:

This is just PA trying to make money off the Asukara success.

Fun fact: NagiAsu was a commercial flop. a big one.

Also I give this show 3 swags out of 10. I'm glad it's over. what a piece of shit
Sep 25, 2014 11:25 AM

Sep 2010
y123y said:

lol what money? Its probably going to sell around 1k if that. I would be surprised if this series breaks even. Unless P.A Works has a strong fanbase who will buy whatever they throw out its probably a flop.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Sep 25, 2014 11:27 AM

Oct 2013
soulelle said:
My goodness, people, I don't understand what is so complicated about this show that everyone has troubles comprehending. Everything's very, VERY simple.

There are two main characters in this show, around who evolves the main theme of the show: feeling oneself at home.

Jonathan is not a mere chicken! Learn your director already! Nishimura Junji uses chickens all the time in his shows! This is his freaking trope! Go watch True Tears if you don't believe me. It also has snow and chickens. As for Glasslip, most of the times Jonathan represents Kakeru himself. To be more precise it represents the problems that Kakeru struggles with.

Remember the 1st episode? The scene where Kakeru meets Touko at school for the first time? The dialogue about free-range Jonathan vs living in a cell? Have you all forgotten about it? If yes, it's now the best time to recall it! Kakeru, having no particular place where he feels at home, is the one who DOESN'T like the concept of free-range animals. Kakeru shows Touko how dangerous a life for Jonathan is if it's up to go around wherever it wants. Kakeru is the one who says that he'd rather live in a cell - he's tired to change his place of living all the time. He wants his home to be set in stone like a cell for an animal.

Why the heck do you think Kakeru lives in the tent? Have you ever even tried to think about it? It's so freaking simple - because he changes houses all the time, because his family always moves from one city to another! So the only CONSTANT place for him where he can sleep and feel himself home is his freaking tent! This IS his cell that always stay the same, regardless where he is located geographically.

Do you understand why there's always such an accent on the sea birds crying in the show? They DO as well represent Kakeru - they keep changing their home from season to season. They spend winter in one area and then move back to another area for summer. This is what brings Kakeru troubles and loneliness. This is what Touko felt and got scared of - Kakeru will "fly away to another place once the season changes", e.g. when it gets too cold.

So Kakeru now faces a challenge. He has two options. Option 1 - he keeps "flying" with his mum, losing Touko, experiencing the loneliness he's so tired of. Option 2 - he settles down to stay with Touko who makes him feel home here. But option 2 is also scary, because then he's losing connection to his mother and has to actually start living his own life. Kakeru is obviously scared of this heavy responsibility - once he decides to stay, he won't be able to quit if something goes wrong by moving to another place. So he's frustrated in choosing between the two options.

And believe it or not, Touko is no less scared. Having lived in this one city for so long, she's scared that her friends will leave and they will no longer meet to watch the fireworks together. Again, THIS is what the show has started with in the first episode! She wants the people dear to her to remain close and connected to each other. And what's more, she's now even more scared to lose the one who she fell in love with. Because unlike the chicken Jonathan, who can't fly despite being a bird, Kakeru can actually fly away if he decides to go with his mother.

Because of their love, because of their fears, and because of their sensitive nature, Touko and Kakeru experience and share their emotions through imagination, otherwise known as "fragments of the future". It has nothing to do with alternate worlds, fates, other dimensiona, timelines, or other bullshit - it's just their vivid imagination. They learn about each other and about each other's feelings and emotions this way.
And THIS is what this show is about. Everything that happens around them is just a romantic slice of life setting that drives this dramatic world. People meet, fall in love, some have their feelings unrequited, some have to fight for and win their love, etc. The actual drama is however between the two main characters - will they stay together or not, will Kakeru find his home with Touko or will he leave till better times, will Touko find the way to see the fireworks all together or not? These are the questions raised by the anime.

^ From episode 12 discussion

That interpretation of this entire series, I think, is spot on. After thinking about it for a bit, the explanation made sense. However, I think the inept storytelling completely rekt any chances of this anime appealing to the general MAL mass. So for me, with said quote in mind, I enjoyed the ending.

bumped up to a 5/10
Sep 25, 2014 11:29 AM

Feb 2014
What a bad ending to a bad show. Virtually no closure whatsoever.

This episode was really confusing and a lot of random stuff happened. Nothing was really explained, and the whole "let's make stars with these beads!" thing was stupid.

I'd give this show 3-5/10. Fantastic visuals, a good soundtrack (especially the OP!), and Johnathan really couldn't bring up the quality of this show too much. All of the MCs (except Hiro) were mostly unlikable and the romance drama was consistently awful. It's like decorating a garbage can and spraying Febreze on it. It may look and smell nice, but you can't hide that fact that it is, indeed, garbage. This show is not worth watching at all.
Noodle070Sep 25, 2014 11:36 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 25, 2014 11:29 AM

Oct 2008
y123y said:

This was 95% friendship and 5% romance. It was advertised as a romance, but we barely got any of that. Just that forced kiss scene between Touko and Kakeru, and that emotionless confession from Yanagi to Yuki.

Compared to Nagi No Asukara's 40% friendship,59% one sided infatuation/crushes and 1 % romance that still sound rather good in comparison....
Sep 25, 2014 11:35 AM

Mar 2013
Love the Characters, not the story. 8/10
Sep 25, 2014 11:38 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
So, is the ability to see the fragment genetic, as Touko's mom used to see them too?

Okikura and Touko's conversation about the fragments was really boring. Even Yanagi's feeling of Okikura leaving the city soon was a better version of future than their fragmented visions.

Artificial Shooting Stars scene was nice but absurd to an extreme extent. I'm sure neither Okikura or Touko has superhuman strength to throw those glass pieces up so high like that.

Yup. I knew all along that Jonathan was named after an adventurer. A bizarre adventurer would probably be a precise way to put it.

Horrible ending. Okikura's mom playing Frédéric Chopin's "Impromptu No. 4 in C-Sharp Minor, Op. 66 -Fantaisie-Impromptu-" was probably the best part of this episode.

Top notch animation, great soundtrack and shit story factors into the score of 5/10. Such a waste of budget..

Sep 25, 2014 11:40 AM

Jul 2012
Cool, so what was the purpose of this anime? Story didn't make any sense.
Sep 25, 2014 11:41 AM

Jan 2014
I really enjoyed this and the ending was beautiful.^^
If a show makes me think about it so much, I, then,
love it and yes I'll give it a high rating on MAL, too!
Sep 25, 2014 11:41 AM

Dec 2013
So many questions were left unanswered. If it wan't for the top animation this anime would be downright horrible.

5/10 purely for Johnathan(dat chicken), take away Johnathan 3/10

Whats my age again? WHERE IS MY ASIAN FRIEND!!!!!!!
Sep 25, 2014 11:42 AM
ざわ・・ ざわ・・

Oct 2012
haha after reading some of the comments, i'm glad i dropped this early
Sep 25, 2014 11:44 AM

Dec 2011
13 episodes of nonsense and it's over, just like that, fucking nothing.
It was a great unintentional comedy at least. I'm going to miss those cringeworthy moments piling up every week, "pls stay attractive" was my favorite.
Sep 25, 2014 12:00 PM

Jul 2012
My overall reaction for this anime:

Wow, I didn't think one could screw up a finale so hard. No questions answered, open ending for all of them, no resolution or ending (huge difference compared to an amazing finale like Free! ES's...) Even if they didn't answer any questions, at least they could make this episode somewhat better.

For a show that was "focused on friendship", it barely had that in the end, as we saw that everyone break into couples and these couples weren't even well constructed. The couple that I wanted to see get more development (Yuki and Yanagi) never got any and all we know is that they're as close as family and jog together. I don't even know wtf Toouko and David are still. Their dialogue is the most cringe worthy.

Anyway, that is all. Never expected myself to rate a PA Works anime below a 5 lol
Sep 25, 2014 12:04 PM

Jul 2012
^ I doubt Glasslip will get any more sequels after this. LB had a fanbase while Glasslip is hated worldwide and I don't think it's selling very well either.
Sep 25, 2014 12:05 PM
Mar 2008
y123y said:
And then Refrain was released, and it became amazing..

No, it didn't.
Sep 25, 2014 12:08 PM

Jul 2012
Okay, now that I got the rage out of my system, here are a few things I did like about the show, even with everything else taking it away:

- Summer feel; PA Works never disappoints. It still felt summery and was a good way for me to escape from this school atmosphere lol
- Music; Other than BGM, the other good music was the insert song in this episode. OP/ED I didn't care much for
- Unintentional humour; Please stay attractive! I like the name Touko...but I also like the name Hiro. #bestdialogueofanime #totally
Sep 25, 2014 12:19 PM
Jul 2018
Trainwreck: The anime

The only good thing about this anime was classical music.

2/10
Sep 25, 2014 12:30 PM

Aug 2014
I don´t understand a thing about this show.. No closeure. No explenation. What is happening.. But some fucking dumb reason. i saw hole season and something in me likes it??? what?

It´s like looking at art by a big talent but you don´t even understand why and what you looking at?
Sep 25, 2014 12:32 PM

Oct 2012
Eh, this was the worst series of this season o_O

Souless anime without any kind of story with nonsensical dialogues, bad characterization and annoying stop-motion. That pretty much sums it all.
Not to mention they haven't explained anything.

Bleh, this was suffering waste of time.

3/10 ani I am still pretty generouss.
Way to go, P.A.Works, few more series like this and you are done.
Sep 25, 2014 12:49 PM

Aug 2009
You know, I've liked the anime for the first few episodes... but then *sighs*
PA Works please make another Uchouten Kazoku or something like that ლ(ಠ ಠლ)
Sep 25, 2014 12:55 PM

Dec 2008
Talk about Glassloppy!!!
Lol I think I only liked the art and music :P
Sep 25, 2014 12:57 PM
Jul 2014
cometta222 said:
i enjoyed this series. the ending was beautiful. the moments between touko and kakeru really did pulled my heart string. this is my understanding; so, kakeru decided to follow his mother, but no matter apart they are, they can still see and hear each other. kakeru wont be alone anymore. it's a bit heart-rending but their relationship is honest.

8/10 for me ^_^

I think Kakeru stayed, but forever, this is the reason his tent is gone he moved to inside the house. But anyway i loved the show, one of the bests in this season.

Nov 2012
Mark my word, 100 years from now Glasslip will be revered as the most influential anime of all time although some will argue that Boku no Pico is.

Jun 2008
I actually looked forward to this anime every week(mostly because I love Touko's voice) and I'm going to miss it. It was very relaxing. Still, I have to punish it for the "plot?" so I'll give it a 5/10.
Sep 25, 2014 1:03 PM

Oct 2013
Yes when Touko said something dramatic, I knew the Fantaisie Impromptu would be played. CALLED THAT BABY!
Sep 25, 2014 1:05 PM
Jul 2018
ObliviousSenpai said:
Mark my word, 100 years from now Glasslip will be revered as the most influential anime of all time although some will argue that Boku no Pico is.

Yes,it will be commonly used as guide to "How NOT to make an anime".
Sep 25, 2014 1:07 PM

Jun 2013
HOLY CRAP THIS SHOW IS BAD. Even the audience agrees in the poll how much of a let down the "finale" tried to be. Nothing was really explained ever since episode 2 introduced that future seeing thing. 5/10 (that's generous) and that is because P.A works simply made the animation and sound good on such a train-wreck of a story.

To the director of this story and the people who actually "liked" the show...
[spoiler]
shinjimae! shinjimae! shinjimae! shinjimae! shinjimae! shinjimae! shinjimae!
[/spoiler]
Sep 25, 2014 1:12 PM

Feb 2014
This was so weird and confusing, it could have been much better, but I enjoyed it anyways that's why I'll give it 7/10.
Sep 25, 2014 1:15 PM

Jul 2013
6 hours of my life wasted over the course of 13 weeks. I tried giving this a shot but nothing outstanding happened in the last episode either. The dialogues were everywhere, abrupt/awkward cuts and transitions, the characters were absolute shit and the pacing was terrible too if it even had one.. I'm pretty sure the staff had no clue what they were doing either.

Pretty but shitty 3/10
Sep 25, 2014 1:20 PM

Jul 2011
shit. this show was complete shit. the artwork didn't even compare to PA Works's other stuff. 1/10
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Can someone explain the end ?

Shomix - Dec 5, 2014

22 by oooo3333 »»
Apr 3, 12:09 AM

Poll: » Glasslip Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

179 by oooo3333 »»
May 18, 2023 2:25 PM

Poll: » Glasslip Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2014

211 by oooo3333 »»
May 16, 2023 2:52 PM

Poll: » Glasslip Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

153 by oooo3333 »»
May 16, 2023 1:12 PM

Poll: » Glasslip Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2014

343 by oooo3333 »»
May 16, 2023 1:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.