Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Sep 18, 2014 7:46 PM

Dec 2008
OMG! It can't just end like this!! Not after Kaneki's mastered the art of bad assery and made me fall in love with him!! He had that sadistic bastard counting backwards by sevens. Loved it!

Season 2?

Sent with Mal Updater
Sep 18, 2014 7:59 PM

Oct 2013
despite the anime as a whole being an absolute mess, it thought that was an amazing way to adapt kaneki's torture scene. I felt like I was there with him...... the shivers man. the shivers.
Sep 18, 2014 8:00 PM

Jul 2012
PEOPLE! Let's just take it as Tokyo Ghoul as a trailer for the manga. Tokyo Ghoul was a cool action packed anime. ANIME not MANGA so they change stuff. Just like Game of Thrones, they changed stuff from the books and killed characters that weren't even killed in the books. So i don't know why ya'll hate on it so much. True it should have been more episodes but I thought it was really good. But it's time to read the manga so let's see what is better (probably the manga)
Sep 18, 2014 8:01 PM

Aug 2013
So basically, Kaneki's mom raised him to be an M. Eek.

As a non-manga reader, I enjoyed it though there were times when I thought "this is going way too fast" or "they're just dragging this now."

I feel like this episode should have been episode 11, or perhaps there simply should have been one more episode. While this episode was surely action-packed, I feel like I've been trolled. Kaneki finally does something...end of story. *blank face*

Episode 1 was awesome. The earlier episodes were too. And then when the honeymoon period was over, it was just...well...entertaining. Had this been 2-cour, it would've been great. Second season please.

7/10
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 18, 2014 8:14 PM

Mar 2011
Some of the MAL trolls need to take a seat and relax. Stand alone without touching the manga this series was really really good. The ending was well done and over all I liked it a lot. After reading the deadman wonderland manga first then watching the anime, I ended up hating the anime and dropped it. I learned my lesson and decided to watch the Tokyo Ghouls anime first and I loved every second of it. There's always that group of people who BM something that's good just because they feel like they have to go against the crowd. Some times you have to give credit where credit is due..

Sure the ending was incomplete but of course that will happen when you try to fit a 70+ chapter manga into 12 episodes. But for the material they used it was a great anime. Treat the anime as a prequel and go read the manga if you have to.
BossTheKidSep 18, 2014 8:19 PM
[Input amazing signature]
Jelly?
Sep 18, 2014 8:16 PM

Oct 2013
I'm gonna continue reading the manga since I'm on chapter 29 as of this time. :)
Sep 18, 2014 8:16 PM

Aug 2013
Wowwww...that was every bit as fucking terrible as I expected it to be, and then some.

I will give the show SOME credit: the torture scenes with Rize in his head were pretty accurate, even though it dragged on a bit. Though that's what happens when you adapt shit faithfully, IT TAKES TIME (take the hint Pierrot).

Though of course they still had to go fuck things up, and the root of the problem starts back in episode 11. They totally butchered the reason Kaneki was getting tortured in the first place.

Not really any point in spoiler tags now so here goes:

In the manga, Kankei is abducted by Aogiri we all know that. While he's there he's being held prisoner, and is kind of kept around with Banjou and all the other worthless ghouls. Eventually they all plan a breakout. When escaping they get caught, and Yamori tells Kaneki that if he becomes his apprentice that he'll let everyone go. Kaneki agrees, but Yamori tricks him; taking everyone back and torturing Kaneki instead.

That was the first issue from episode 11, the issue for episode 12:

When he was left with the choice to let one person die and save the other one, it was different in the manga. In the manga was two people he tried to escape with, and they happened to be mother and daughter, not husband and wife.
- the outcome was still the same, so it doesn't matter as much...but still...if it aint broke don't fix it.

Crazy badass Kaneki said some cool lines, but was pretty monotone about it. The manga portrayed him as a bit more crazy and I kind of expected to see that done better.

Fight scene was short, but decent. For how shitty some of the animation was in this show, this fight was pretty crisp.

3/5 for the episode, 4/10 for the adaptation.

KanjiKano said:
Much like the manga it ended in the most abrupt out of no where fashion.

Literally was in tears laughing when I read this.
Sep 18, 2014 8:22 PM

Apr 2008
BossTheKid said:
Some of the MAL trolls need to take a seat and relax. Stand alone without touching the manga this series was really really good. The ending was well done and over all I liked it a lot. After reading the deadman wonderland manga first then watching the anime, I ended up hating the anime and dropped it. I learned my lesson and decided to watch the Tokyo Ghouls anime first and I loved every second of it. There's always that group of people who BM something that's good just because they feel like they have to go against the crowd. Some times you have to give credit where credit is due..

Sure the ending was incomplete but of course that will happen when you try to fit a 70+ chapter manga into 12 episodes. But for the material they used it was a great anime. Treat the anime as a prequel and go read the manga if you have to.

Can't do that since they are publishing this as an ADAPTATION
Sep 18, 2014 8:25 PM

Mar 2011
Darklight0303 said:

Can't do that since they are publishing this as an ADAPTATION

Given all the crappy harem light novel "ADAPTIONS" we've been getting lately with the same linear character designs/types I think this is a step up in the right direction...
[Input amazing signature]
Jelly?
Sep 18, 2014 8:32 PM

Sep 2013
The fight was gooood it have been longer but whatever :)

Kaneki's whole world was based on his mothers words "it's better to be hurt than to hurt others" he never thought that they were wrong and they really aren't, but now he's forced to accept that IN THIS WORLD his mother was wrong and a weak person, his own mother and in turn himself.

The white flowers were showing his nice, naive and weak self which isn't necessarily wrong, while the red was showing his transformation by blood into the real world, where the weak and naive are hurt and killed by the strong because they can.
In the end his mother really isn't that wrong, kindness is good "what's wrong is this world" a world where violence and murder are rewarded and the kind are killed.
Sep 18, 2014 8:41 PM

Oct 2013
BossTheKid said:

But that's exactly why this felt rather disappointing as a stand-alone. You don't end a stand-alone anime like that. It's a bit contradicting to say to treat it as a stand alone then to treat it as a prequel. But doing that, there are better way's to end a prequel. Ga Rei Zero come's to mind as one such anime and tons of people liked/loved it.

However, I do think people are being way too harsh on it. I gave it a 7/10 since I found it quite enjoyable but I just can't completely ignore this ending.
Sep 18, 2014 8:42 PM

Jul 2009
Oh sweet Jesus, that was stressful.
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Sep 18, 2014 8:43 PM

Aug 2013
A weird place to end the anime, but at least it was epic for the last few minutes.
Okay series overall, 7/10
Sep 18, 2014 8:46 PM
Jan 2014
Meh.. was loving it even though I read the manga and well.. I don't know.. So many nice Mangas that get adaptaded into 12 eps that get rushed or incomplete..

I'll give it a 8/9 since I rate it based on enjoyment. even though I really loved it this ending.........
Sep 18, 2014 8:49 PM

Jul 2013
GUYS GUYS GUYS, finally it happened

A COMPLETE BETA-FAG CHARACTER FINALLY UNDERSTANDS WHATS WRONG WITH BEING A BETA-FAG CHARACTER

HALLELUJAH IT FUCKING FINALLY HAPPENED

whole show 4-5/10

kaneki after he learns 100000000000000/10
Just an anime fan, doing what an anime fan does
Sep 18, 2014 8:53 PM
Oct 2012
it's hard for me to update the list on my account to be completed.
Please tell me there'll be a sequel.
The manga ending is already tragic even so, i still love Tokyo Kushu
Sep 18, 2014 8:55 PM

Nov 2012
Thank you Tokyo Ghoul, now I'm never watching another currently airing manga adaptation by Studio Pierrot ever again. 4/10
Sep 18, 2014 8:58 PM

May 2012
I guess after you've read the manga, it's kinda hard to give this adaptation a good rating. I'd give it a 5.5/10 since it was enjoyable, but it was a horrible adaptation.

Strikefreedom117 said:

A COMPLETE BETA-FAG CHARACTER FINALLY UNDERSTANDS WHATS WRONG WITH BEING A BETA-FAG CHARACTER

whole show 4-5/10

And this is one of the main reasons I disliked the adaptation.

Kaneki was already decent at fighting in the manga since he trained with Touka and Yomo, but he was an absolute pushover in all the fights that happened in the anime.

Hell, they didn't even introduce Akira in the anime T_T

Sep 18, 2014 9:03 PM

May 2013
Olem said:
I guess after you've read the manga, it's kinda hard to give this adaptation a good rating. I'd give it a 5.5/10 since it was enjoyable, but it was a horrible adaptation.

Strikefreedom117 said:

whole show 4-5/10

And this is one of the main reasons I disliked the adaptation.

Kaneki was already decent at fighting in the manga since he trained with Touka and Yomo, but he was an absolute pushover in all the fights that happened in the anime.

Hell, they didn't even introduce Akira in the anime T_T

No, she did have a cameo when Amon visited Mado's grave.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Sep 18, 2014 9:06 PM

Sep 2013
i can't believe they ruined the manga like this.
wha t was that ending seriously.
the manga may have finished all of a sudden but it was way better than this. Honestly the only good thing about this adaptation was the OP.

5/10

Sep 18, 2014 9:08 PM

May 2012
SweetCoconut said:

No, she did have a cameo when Amon visited Mado's grave.

Yeah, a cameo, but she wasn't actually introduced into the story

:P

Sep 18, 2014 9:08 PM

Mar 2013
I didn't expect anything out of the ordinary from this adaptation. All I'm going to say was I did like the soundtrack and the voice actors. Other than that, yeah... That's Studio Pierrot for you. Nothing new.
Sep 18, 2014 9:09 PM

Sep 2010
NeutralSide said:
Episodes you only need to watch.
Episode 1
Episode 6
episode 8
Episode 12
If you'll excuse me while I searched for the HD version of this Episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v98kMEeG83g
Sep 18, 2014 9:09 PM

Jun 2014
That's how they decided to end it...

Oh well.
Sep 18, 2014 9:13 PM

Sep 2010
This episode 9/10: Great animation, Great Build Up, Great character development. -1 For cliffhanger :/

Series 7/10: Great characters, Great animation at points. -1 For plot jumping and skipping -1 For 12 episode cour series. -1 Needs better studio (Perriot also does Naruto which has below average animation).
Sep 18, 2014 9:14 PM

Aug 2013
Pretty cool episode too bad your basically forced to read the manga to get a proper ending. Not sure why they included the whole raid from the last episode if they weren't going to finish it. At least the fight was awesome and Keneki finally became a badass.
Sep 18, 2014 9:19 PM
Apr 2014
There was a few episodes of this adaptation I actually liked, but as a whole it was just ok. Weak 6/10. Was not a fan of the first arcs of TG but the Aogiri arc is where it really took off for me. Too bad they ended it here because I enjoyed the last ep. At least the anime was successful in attracting people to the manga i guess.
Sep 18, 2014 9:25 PM

May 2010
As a whole, the show was good but not great. But this episode was really great imo. Pretty horrific too. Never read the manga so I don't have anything to compare it to haha.
Sep 18, 2014 9:31 PM
May 2012
That's it? I'm mean.. like... seriously? That's it!!?? Noooooo!!! Second season, please. :)
Sep 18, 2014 9:45 PM

Jun 2013
Uh, so they just end it with everything happening outside? It was cool to see Kaneki beat the daylights out of Jason, but still, there's way too much left unfinished.

I enjoyed watching this series for sure, but bah, it's just way too open ended. Another thing is the censoring, oh god, I need to see an uncensored version so bad.
Sep 18, 2014 9:55 PM

Aug 2014
I was going to rant about how disappointing this was and why people gave this ep a 5/5, but decided against it. All I can say is that read the manga from the beginning if you actually want to experience Tokyo Ghoul.
Sep 18, 2014 10:01 PM

Apr 2011
I personally thought the censorship was as awful as ever. When Jason was choking the woman they blacked out half the screen well before any blood would have appeared, and from the looks of it she didn't bleed at all. The censorship is getting ridiculous, and when compared to the glorious lack of censorship in Akame ga Kill!, I can't believe it's necessary. They just want to sell more Blu-Rays.

BTW, taken by itself the episode would not have been half bad, maybe even one of the better episodes of the series ... but as a finale? OMG no.
Sep 18, 2014 10:25 PM

Sep 2013
Since this adaptation was a mess, inconsistent and lack poor characters I'm planning on reading the manga hoping it's going to be at least somewhat better. Should I start reading from the beginning? Thanks in advance.
sic mundus
Sep 18, 2014 10:28 PM

Apr 2014
meh...this episode. Well, the animation was good and the torture scene was nice and all, but even for a cliffhanger, this is so bad. :S
Sep 18, 2014 10:32 PM

Aug 2014
It was super good. The gore was crazy. I was hooked and then the end got me when he sortof accepted Mrs.Riza/ he went off on tht psycho
Sep 18, 2014 10:37 PM

May 2012
Rastafa21 said:
Since this adaptation was a mess, inconsistent and lack poor characters I'm planning on reading the manga hoping it's going to be at least somewhat better. Should I start reading from the beginning? Thanks in advance.

Yep. The anime was different in a lotta ways, so you'll want to start right at the beginning

Sep 18, 2014 10:40 PM
Oct 2012
Ugh, I dislike how Rize is really there. But whatever.
It wasn't really terrible but as an ending episode it really leaves a lot hanging.
I can't really see a second season happening, they cut so much stuff out and foreshadowing which turned out to be more important than expected..
It looks like Kaneki suddenly became ridiculously strong, in the manga he struggles more than that but it's expected since they were in such a rush.
This is like the only episode Kaneki actually gets character development.
Sep 18, 2014 10:43 PM

Jul 2013
I LOVED how Kaneki adapted the finger clutching thing from Jason.
It must be a tick from tortures... after all they both went through the same kind of tortures.
"I'll become Hokage, and find One Piece... so that can kill all the Titans."
-- Guts Freecss
Sep 18, 2014 10:46 PM

Jan 2013
was great, hoping for s2~~
Sep 18, 2014 10:48 PM

Apr 2012
7/10

the last episode was probably the best episode
kaneki finally surrendered to his ghoulish side. A fitting conclusion I guess lol

manga time probs

Sep 18, 2014 10:54 PM

Nov 2009
The fight was nice but holy hell so many things were unresolved that could not be called an ending. Would've given 7/10 if there was a proper ending, but without that I give 6/10.
Sep 18, 2014 11:04 PM

Dec 2009
Even before I knew that this was a crappy adaption of the manga there was a few things about the anime that bothered me. It felt rushed but at the same time felt as if it wasn't going any where for a while and never gave much details as to what the f was actually going on. Then suddenly with like 4 episodes left in the 12 planned to air there was tons of actual story telling.

As I haven't read the manga (and I may never will) I can't say what the direction of Tokyo Ghoul was going, but what started off as something interesting just slowly disappeared. What was the point of half the characters or even most of the episodes? I'm all for open endings, I find them interesting and thought provoking. This was not an open ending, this was an episode where most of it should have been in episode 11 and half of or most of episode 11 should have been the last episode. This would have saved the show from dropping down from an 8 to a 6.

The sad thing is that it wasn't horrible, but with bad editing it just fell really short. If there is going to be anything specials/second season/extra episode in the future that can some how fix this big mess that is the last two episodes then I might rethink my current score. Though I doubt this will happen.

Sep 18, 2014 11:16 PM

Mar 2012
This needs a remake, not a second season. They changed too many things.
Sep 18, 2014 11:20 PM

Jun 2014
As an anime watcher I really enjoyed they way they ended the season!

From years and years of watching adaptations of books into movies, I have learned that they will never be able to fit every detail of a book into a film, anime, or TV series. So I think this anime included all the details I needed to know to understand what was going on.

Overall I give this anime an 8/10!

Really hoping that I see a second season someday. Even if I have to wait 8 yrs like I did with Mushishi!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Sep 18, 2014 11:20 PM

Oct 2011
Was cringing every time Kaneki screamed in pain TwT. Then I was tearing up because of how much he was suffering. Then when those two died I was like : 0 Holy.....Then finally white hair Kaneki BAD@SS against Jason. He got what he deserve 1000-7
Sep 18, 2014 11:27 PM

Mar 2012
I'm about 25 chapters into the manga right now and now I could see what everyone's gripes are about. This would have served better being a split season... and done by another studio.
Sep 18, 2014 11:31 PM

Jan 2011
Holy shit fucking really they capped it at 12! WTF
Sep 18, 2014 11:35 PM

Nov 2012
Well I still hoped until today, that maybe it will have 24 episodes.
Sep 18, 2014 11:48 PM

Dec 2013
I felt this episode was actually really well done. I love the character development for Kaneki and I thought the whole torture scene was really well done. However as a finale (if you can even call it that) it was dissapointing. There was so many loose ends from the last episode and the fight between Kaneki and Jason felt rushed. It would be a 5/5 if it wasn't a finale so I'll give it a 4/5 for this ep instead and a 7/10 overall for this anime.
Sep 18, 2014 11:54 PM

Oct 2007
I think this ending could be better if there's no censorship. Felt good though, was waiting a long time for the boy to grow up.
Pages (17) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Tokyo Ghoul ss3 killed all the hope I have for this series

DatajI - Mar 9

4 by zero00guard »»
Mar 12, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

349 by AkiFosu »»
Mar 8, 11:42 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2014

430 by AkiFosu »»
Mar 7, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

319 by AkiFosu »»
Mar 6, 10:12 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2014

859 by WarlockGames17 »»
Feb 2, 1:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.