Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Black Butler
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 10, 2015 8:42 PM

Sep 2013
The_Steward said:
for those who know, did this get enough sales for there to be a chance for another season?
cheers

It has good sales (almost 7K average), not as much as the previous 2 series, but they're definitely getting profit and it's good advertisement for the manga and merchandise :)
It'd be stupid not to animate the best arc :(

Btw Book of Murder is the direct continuation, so watch that everyone.
Apr 7, 2015 3:04 AM

Aug 2010
I was expecting some sort of a sequel but I guess this just worked out just fine. Compared to the first Kuroshitsuji this one is more dark in terms of violence, themes, etc. which is how this series is supposed to be. It really brings out the Victorian era London feel and so far the best in an anime (not in manga though) I have seen. Quite honestly if it wasn't for those nasty censorship we would have been treated but I didn't really expect the violence judging from the first Kuroshitsuji. 9/10.
Apr 13, 2015 3:17 PM

Dec 2014
Damn, that was sad.
Apr 19, 2015 6:44 AM

May 2008
Wow, Book of Circus really surprised me with loads of epicness and an interesting plotline :D Didn't expect to enjoy the series this much, even though I had a feeling of what would be coming :)

Might have been an even better watch than the first season, left me feeling pretty melancholic, but in a good way :) I have to see Book of Murder immediately xD
Apr 23, 2015 8:26 AM
Aug 2014
Just wow...

That was so sad and heartbreaking. Really fucked up story arc. I was so conflicted which side to root for. I can tell I'll just be pondering this for the next few days. Really felt for the Joker and his gang, leading such tragic lives and still meeting a bitter end.

That last scene tho T_T

Really wanted to bitchslap Ciel in the last scene tho -_- douchebag
Apr 29, 2015 9:45 PM

Jul 2013
So the workshop Joker was talking about is the orphanage. I thought it was the circus.

This is good and all but it's kinda lame when you realize that the root of everything was just a perveted freak who fell in love with a guy and his son. Everything was going pretty well, he was helping orphans with disabilities until one day he became obsessed with some random dude and his son that he just met. And then it all went downhill from there. What kind of lame reason was that? What if this is what happened: " A guy so rich that he didn't know what to do with his money decided to help kids living in the streets. He kept doing this wonderful act until it reach the queen who then decided to give that guy an award. Some kind of nobel prize or something. But this angered many noble rivals as many were dreaming of gaining the queen's favor. The nobles, as envious bastards as they are, hired a hitman to kill the guy's wife and children. Realizing that after all that's he's done this is what he got in return, he lost the most precious thing in his life, his family. The agony and pain was so unbearable that he finally went pedo-crazy". See? That's way better than " OMG! that guy and his son is so damn adorable it makes my dick go craaazy! Screw my wife, she looks like an ape anyway. Imma go under plastic surgery and kidnap some kids and lobotomize the shit out of them! yay!"
Jun 24, 2015 9:59 PM

Jan 2013
WOW, that was a satisfying ending.
RIP Circus
9.5/10
Jul 18, 2015 1:47 AM
Jul 2015
That ending was intense, i cried like a baby. I also teared up a lot when Ciel was going through his flashbacks, i felt so bad. Im sad in a way that they died. I mean i know what they did was wrong but i also feel bad for them. The part that really messed me up was finding out those kids where long gone... how i cried and then i felt even worse for a sec because i thought Ciel was crying and then BAM! laughing 😂 what the hell Ciel?! All those kids are dead and he killed more and hes just laughing. Sebastian's went from wtf? To omg u crack me up and ge ends it with a smile.
Now someone please give a second opinion. If in season two, Claude says the reason Ciel soul is so important to Sebastian is because its a pure soul, then how is it still pure after all of that. In the end Ciel basically admits that hes messed up going on about how hes more demonic then a demon but his soul is still pure?
Jul 18, 2015 3:37 AM

Jul 2014
desiree2649 said:

Now someone please give a second opinion. If in season two, Claude says the reason Ciel soul is so important to Sebastian is because its a pure soul, then how is it still pure after all of that. In the end Ciel basically admits that hes messed up going on about how hes more demonic then a demon but his soul is still pure?

Second season is not canon. Actually, more than half of the first season is not canon. This season is straight from the manga (with maybe a couple of modifications). That being said, in canon, Sebastian never said that he wants a pure soul (unless I'm mistaken). What he likes about Ciel's soul is that is completely wretched and full of despair. He's attracted to it's blackness and he tries to succumb it into darkness even more, for a more palatable meal.
And I still completely love him.
Jul 28, 2015 10:46 AM
May 2015
This series is awesome. It's just so sad and miserable it's amazing. Definitely 10/10
Aug 8, 2015 7:36 AM

Jun 2015
overall it was OK you see, if i had watched book of circus before the first kuroshitsuji i might've liked it more.
there's a regression in the drawings as i have found the characters to be better looking in kuroshitsuji I.
the story was good weird and creepy as expected :) but the ending was a let down in my opinion.
Ciel's character is depicted as a helpless self centered brat in kuroII while he is much more than that, same for the undertaker who was one of my favorite characters once upon a time :(
disappointed.
Oct 4, 2015 11:05 PM

Feb 2010
I loved it! It was so good. Ciel went a little cray cray in the end XD
I feel so sorry for the circus crew they were doing that all for nothing :( I really liked them. They deserved better. I loved this but I feel a little heartbroken that they all died :/
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Oct 15, 2015 3:47 PM

Aug 2012
Loved this arc!! <3 But at the same time felt so sad about the circus crew... you could clearly see that they didn't like doing those bad things :(
That last scene TT^TT I cried like a baby when Joker appeared in the sky
At least it makes me feel a little better when I think they're free from all the unfairness and cruelty of the world and are finally able to live happily over the hills and far away T-T

Anyway 10/10 <3
IceyrynnOct 15, 2015 4:16 PM
Nov 11, 2015 8:50 AM

Jan 2012
this kid is crazy anyway time watch book of Murder.

Jan 28, 2016 11:58 AM

Sep 2014
Honestly I think Book of Circus was Really Good. I Enjoyed it. All the Circus members were Nice but Too bad they all were used and died for nothing.
Mikoshiba-sanJan 28, 2016 12:09 PM
Feb 19, 2016 7:53 AM

Apr 2015
Better than the 2nd season, no doubt. I feel sorry for Joker and the others who died.

That ending was so full of feels.

Next up is Book of Murder.

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Feb 26, 2016 9:44 AM

Jun 2015
It started off so funny and ended so sadly. You see, this is one hell of an anime.
Jul 28, 2016 4:31 PM

Jan 2016
It was absolutely great. Same old Ciel and SebastIan, get some laughs in the beginning. .last 5 episodes though...thrills...chills.. I loved when I seen Grell, hes the best shinigami 😄 but...the ending with Ciel's maniacal laugh and Sebastian staring at him...i found it to be very disturbing...very...

All in all I loved it. It's exactly what Black Butler should be. Great job on this one 😆
Aug 16, 2016 1:15 PM

Jul 2013
Wow, those flashbacks were really so sad of the Circus troupe when they were younger!

It was sad that they killed Doll, although he did go after them but it's a shame as I thought maybe he would get to be Ciel's one friend after all that but sadly that was not to be.

It seemed the work house was long gone and no children remained, neither did much of the building.

Ciel laughing at the end saying humans were worse than demons or whatever was surprising, even Sebastian looked like "damn, that's cold" when he saw him laughing tbh lol. I was like "even the demon finds that slightly inappropriate".

Ciel lost his ribbon off his top hat in the end and Sebastian couldn't catch it and then we got to see the ghosts of Joker and his crew go off in to the sky, that was kinda sweet.

It was a nice ending to the series and a great series overall!

Sebastian <3

I can't wait to see Book of Murder now! <3
Aug 19, 2016 1:57 AM

Jun 2016
The ending got to me hard. When they go to explore this "over the hills and far away" place the circus members oh so wanted to protect, they find the home of their new beginning in ruins. Every little thing they did was for nothing. Doll's death also made me surprisingly sad. One thing to say though, where did her boobs go when she wasn't in costume? Did they vanish?
Aug 29, 2016 4:19 AM

Mar 2016
Holy crap, this season, this episode, ripped my heart out and stomped on it.

I felt incredibly sorry for the Circus troupe, and readily understood how and why their lack of choices led them to where they were.

And it was Ciel's aristocratic arrogance (as well as Sebastian's demonic indifference) that led them to overlook what should have been readily apparent to both: the importance that having choices make in a person's life. A simple recognition of that fact could've let them get to the bottom of the case so much more quickly, without measuring their "success rate" in blood splatter and body count.

Joker, Beast, Dagger, Doll, Peter & Wendy, Jumbo, even Snake, were captured and tricked into damnation with the two most potent and dastardly weapons of the evil and corrupt: Compassion, and Hope.

They were in their way good and honorable people, in their feeling obligated to not only return the largess of their benefactor with service, but to also support the Renborn Workhouse and the "lost children" they firmly believed they were helping.

I'm not excusing their crimes in the least: they knowingly supported kidnapping and murder. But Ciel and Sebastian could have also given them a choice, an honorable choice, exposing and illuminating their "Father" and the Doctor for what they truly were, and co-opting the troupe to their cause.

Ah, maybe I'm just bringing too much 20th/21st century sensibility to my viewing; but I thought that killing the troupe right along with Renborn and the Doctor was a waste of valuable potential. They could have become valuable tools of "The Queens Watchdog," as well as productive members of society, truly supporting a real orphanage for "lost children" with their work in the Noah's Ark Circus.
I am the one you warned me of.
Aug 29, 2016 3:01 PM
Jul 2016
As amazing as that was, I couldn't help but feel a little bad for them. They were tricked into everything. They thought they could trust, and had to obey the man that saved them.

I also thought it was very deep about how Ciel thought it would be better for those kids to die rather then them having to suffer from the trauma they went through.

The ending was beautiful. You get to see how damaged Ciel really is, but he turns his brokenness into trying to avenge his parents. The monologue at the end just gave me all the feels. Couldn't have ended any better.
Sep 8, 2016 3:13 PM
Aug 2016
I started with Black Butler Book of Circus.
I loved it so much!
But, it made me felt very sad when the Circus people dies.
I was hoping that they will get mercy.
Nov 23, 2016 12:38 PM

May 2016
I really enjoyed watching this season I feel really sad about those guys but that can't be helped that is the way the world goes on May your souls rest in peace 🙏🏻
And for this season was epic I give it 9/10 the animation and sounds were great and I really fell in love with the opening though the first 20 sec of it was kinda meh after all I really love it
Dec 26, 2016 9:11 PM

Nov 2016
As the series was about to end it gets more heart-breaking. It was sad but that conclusion was too good and that's why I find Book of Circus to be better than the original seasons 1 & 2. I hope Book of Murder will be as good. I somehow get the feeling that this was already the peak of Kuroshitsuji.
Feb 26, 2017 3:30 PM

Feb 2015
That evil laughter by Ciel at the end, it was beautiful.
Jul 5, 2017 6:29 PM
Jan 2016
have no words except that the ending made me cry... It was at the end that I really began to love Joker, Beast, Dagger and the others. T_T
Jul 29, 2017 11:36 AM
Jun 2013
The way ciel handled doll was fucked up. Ciel sure can be evil. He's definitely a hard character to like. This was one big depressing ova. There was not a inch of happiness here.
Sep 18, 2017 1:45 AM

Jun 2016

Ohmygod. That was a very sad way to end this anime, maaan. Oh no, the Circus folks. I'm not okay. ;-; I hope they're at least living in peace now. My heart, maaan. :'(

Seeing their lives at the orphanage, them being very happy before the hell came to their lives. Joker was so handsome. Golly. I ship him with Beast. Goddamnit.

So, Sebastian killed Doll, too? ;-;

Nice seeing Undertaker for a brief moment there. I wonder what's going to happen to them remaining circus folks and Taylor Swift -- I mean Snake. Lmfao.

Goddamnit, even in death that Baron was still piece of shit lying to Joker and the rest of them. What the fuck. What the fuck. This hurts me more and feel bad for them. FUCK YOU, KELVIN! FUCK. YOU.

A solid 9/10 for this anime, maan.

P.S. Never skipped the OP, maan, too beautiful to skip.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Dec 21, 2017 10:40 PM
Oct 2013
gosh, that last part really got me!

It's sad that they were all doing those things for nothing, that just sucks.
Apr 24, 2018 4:08 PM
Jul 2016
this is years late but i only now got over the major cringe kuroshitsuji II caused me and watches this. It was fine and seems like they just kinda ignored kuroshitsuji II ever happening. However, that last scene gave me shivers, and not in a good way. I swear to god if they end this series with the same "turning into a demon" twist...
Apr 29, 2018 6:20 AM

Jan 2018
My cousin's been telling me to watch this for 3 years, and when she was right next to me, she pretty much forced me to watch it on Netflix. I'm going to be honest, this was 10x better than season 1! I liked all the characters, and when they all died I thought it was pretty sad tbh. Great story.

8/10
Jan 7, 2019 4:04 PM

Mar 2017
Personally I did not appreciate the ending, too many dark sides and scenes and facts too fast ... But the pessimist and sad quotes are always the top!
Feel pain, think about pain, accept pain, know pain... Shinra Tensei!
Apr 2, 2019 10:14 PM
Mar 2019
Pretty sure Freckles died. Ciel said “Sebastian” when he came charging and that was that. Yes, humans are more wicked than demons indeed!
Jun 4, 2019 3:12 PM
Jan 2018
This was great sad about what happened with a few the circus members my mind changed on them a bit. But still what they did was unforgivable but feel sad that joker was the only one to find out that they where's using real kids prosthetics etc

Still don't agree with what ciel did but I guess the panic attack was getting him confused but he might have thought they where better off

Still not sure what the stitches on the kids heads where ?

Anyways 8/10 had me engaged throughout the 10 epiosdes now I'm looking forward to watching book murders and the movie
Mattinator95Jun 4, 2019 9:22 PM
Sep 1, 2020 10:31 AM

Mar 2019
Damn, I have to say, that ending was so depressing. Seeing Joker and the others going to heaven was sad. Also, I like Ciel more cause he actually bought the orange from the girl and wanted to donate money, but man, I didnt want everyone to die :(. I loved Joker, Dagger, Beast( maybe ) and Freckles. The moment when Ciel yelled that he's the same as the kids was so good. Best season by far. So for this season I give 9/10 and I might lower the first season to 6/10 cause the difference in quality was so big. Now for the better books, murder and atlantic!!
Alex_TheForestSep 1, 2020 10:41 AM
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Sep 5, 2020 8:41 AM
Jul 2020
This is such a sad ending. None of them were aware that they were being tricked into fighting for something that was long gone

RIP Joker, despite his past and the things he was forced to do he smiled so brightly (╥_╥)
Oct 8, 2022 7:04 PM
Aug 2022
It's sad TBH, how Ciel insults all humans including himself but still...It was an awesome episode of this awesome anime,
Everyone's dead...and the end song just made me cry...
Oct 8, 2022 7:11 PM
Aug 2022
It's sad TBH, how Ciel insults all humans including himself but still...It was an awesome episode of this awesome anime,
Everyone's dead...and the end song just made me cry...
Nov 18, 2022 5:52 PM
Jul 2022
Beautiful Ending
Dec 5, 2022 11:55 PM
Aug 2022
reading this in the manga broke me and watching it was even worse :( i love doll so much, i wish she hadn't died.

i really wish they hadn't cut out the part with doll and the tooth fairy, it was so cute and really showed the bond between her and the rest of the circus performers. felt like a really important and emotional scene they shouldn't have cut out, i'm pretty disappointed. other than that i love how this arc was adapted! definitely my favorite arc of both the anime and manga so far :)
Dec 5, 2022 11:57 PM
Aug 2022
Mattinator95 said:
This was great sad about what happened with a few the circus members my mind changed on them a bit. But still what they did was unforgivable but feel sad that joker was the only one to find out that they where's using real kids prosthetics etc

Still don't agree with what ciel did but I guess the panic attack was getting him confused but he might have thought they where better off

Still not sure what the stitches on the kids heads where ?

Anyways 8/10 had me engaged throughout the 10 epiosdes now I'm looking forward to watching book murders and the movie

i could be wrong but i believe the scars on the kids' heads were lobotomy scars, considering how lethargic and lifeless they were
Jul 24, 2023 9:13 AM

May 2017
Amazing ending to a great season. 
Perfect showcase of how broken Ciel is.

I'm happy the new season announcement made me revisit this series. It's quite dark, especially for a series targeted at a Shounen demographic. 
Jul 29, 2023 6:04 AM

May 2020
this was a lot better than season 1
solid 8/10
onto the bookof murder now

Jan 3, 1:18 PM
Nov 2021
forgot how insufferable Ceil was! Love me some Sebastian though
Feb 25, 11:34 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Solid conclusion to the arc but there are a few things I need to get out of my chest...

Aside from the questionable moral question of whether it was right or not to kill the children (which I'll get to in just a bit), the whole conclusion of the arc felt pale in comparison to the early exciting developments of the arc. In hindsight, Sebastian just needed that one steamy session with Beast and from there on, it was just Sebas and Ciel to the later-burned mansion and the soon-to-be-wiped-out Joker's crew raid in the Phantomhive's. That's not exactly lively, imo. It felt a little too quick, if I'm to be totally honest.

Let's take it step-by-step. Ciel's trauma activated, leaving him speechless, despite the quack doctor's actions, and that's why he wasn't able to give the order in time. Check. At the same time, Sebastian could hardly care about that because he had no reason to intervene so he just waited until it started to take a grave toll on Ciel. Okay, that's reasonable. And then, Ciel proceeded to lose some form of composure, claiming only some kind of twisted power like his case with Sebastian could save them. Understandable from his point of view. But then, the real kick came in when he realised that the circus member's actions were completely useless and possibly a bit of guilt which led to that distorted reaction in the very end. Yeah, that makes a lot more sense. To be honest, I didn't quite know how to feel about this, so I figured taking it one-by-one would help clarify my thought process as well. A power too great, basically well summed up by Undertaker.

I really needed that. In terms of other departments, I really didn't have many issues. More time would've definitely flushed out more, both in terms of the plot and characterisation. Production values were great and I was a little concerned given the ending of Kuroshitsuji II but I'm glad to say that it's past me now, lol. Anyways, there's still about 2 OVAs and a movie before I'm caught up to the series, so I'll get to those asap.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 6, 3:03 PM

Nov 2017
Poor Freckles who discovered the deaths of his friends...

I forgot how moving the ending is!
ElyshionApr 22, 12:21 PM
Apr 23, 5:39 AM

Apr 2009
After rewatching this after 10 years, the story got me even more than before. I forgot most of the plot and now what shocked how dark it got with every reveal. I've never cared about villain characters like this before. One of the best stories I witnessed in anime.
Today, 3:57 AM
Mar 2022
OH WOW......... stronger than s1 i feel
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2014

154 by Apratim »»
Apr 23, 12:31 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2014

130 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 3:02 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2014

97 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 3:01 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2014

78 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 2:05 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2014

92 by Elyshion »»
Apr 6, 9:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.