Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Barakamon
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 23, 2014 11:49 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Lol, I bet Seishuu feel a bit trolled this episode. It's funny how much the kids wants to learn from though. Snsei, FIGHTO

I really like what the kids made this episode with their ideas. Oh and the girls' yukata looked great too. I think this episode is definitely going to leave a memory in these kids and Seishuu as well. 5/5.

Oh Naru, you don't want to kill sensei with those firecrackers right? LOL
Aug 23, 2014 12:48 PM

Jan 2012
This episode was the first not to use material from the first 26 chapters right? That's up to where I'm at at the manga and I'm pretty sure I don't remember reading this anyway...

Well regardless pretty fantastic and relaxing once again, but that's to be expected with this one, the best anime of the season pretty easily. At least from the one's I'm watching. :D
Aug 23, 2014 12:55 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
"Sensei, you ain't taking life seriously!"
-- random kid, reflecting on Sensei's (lack of) bug catching skills

That dream at the end...

Oh, I wonder how Naru will punish Sensei for his generosity? That was a dangerous gift.
CratexAug 23, 2014 1:00 PM
Aug 23, 2014 1:09 PM
Jan 2014
This was a very heartwarming episode. From Naru's birthday to the grave visiting.

Kentarou's group were really desperate on impressing Naru with bugs. Handa had bad luck encountering them. Falling from the ladder and getting blamed for that wasn't very pleasant. Not to mention squishing that Hercules beetle, poor thing.

Handa totally lost his privacy when he came to Goto, 5 keys are a bit too much for his household. He kind of delayed Naru's welcoming too, but made up with his "creative" present.

It's always nice to see Naru's enthusiastic grandfather, even if it was for a short amout of time. Her grandma was probably the same. I wonder what happened to her parents though.

Miwa and Tamako looked great in those yukata.

Seeing Hiroshi as a part of the play was unexpected. Funny how they even tried to stalk him. Naru better be careful with those firecrackers.

The ending though. Handa sure has some pretty weird dreams.
Aug 23, 2014 1:41 PM

Mar 2012
animefan8800 said:
This episode was the first not to use material from the first 26 chapters right? That's up to where I'm at at the manga and I'm pretty sure I don't remember reading this anyway...
Haven't read the manga, but it looks like they're preparing to wrap up the anime. What Tama said near the end sounded like foreshadowing.

-Resident- said:
The ending though. Handa sure has some pretty weird dreams.
He does, doesn't he? I mean, that dog wasn't even speaking the dialect, just Standard Japanese, the hell was up with that?! XD
Aug 23, 2014 1:42 PM

Jan 2014
Such a heartwarming episode. :3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 23, 2014 1:52 PM

Apr 2013
Such a nice episode, Beetle hunting with those kids was pretty funny, and the ending with the fireworks was nice too. I wonder how Naru will use her gift from Handa.
Aug 23, 2014 1:55 PM

Jun 2013
vonPeterhof said:
Haven't read the manga, but it looks like they're preparing to wrap up the anime. What Tama said near the end sounded like foreshadowing.

Seems like it. Incoming waterworks :(

Handa will definitely have to decide whether his new social life with the island villagers or his professional life as a calligrapher is more important. This anime has done a great job of drawing me into Handa's state-of-mind and his development, so I don't look forward to this anime ending so soon :(
Aug 23, 2014 1:57 PM

Jan 2013
Gekkan shoujo can be pure comedy, but Barakamon is heartwarming comedy.
Such a great episode.
I Wonder how the series will end.
Aug 23, 2014 2:20 PM

Jan 2012
vonPeterhof said:
animefan8800 said:

Well I'm hopeful we'll get a second season since I know the manga has something like 9 volumes of material and I don't think we've even covered half that, but I guess if it does end with him leaving that might not be possible.
Aug 23, 2014 2:24 PM

Apr 2014
Great Episode! that dog at the end tho. :P
Aug 23, 2014 2:28 PM

Jun 2011
Naru's birthday was sweet. But why did they say they only held a birthday party for Naru because sensei was there?

Barakamon is so great, it's killing me. I don't want it to end. Ever. I want there to be another episode every week until I die.

... Maybe a little too much to ask.
This episode was especially heartwarming though. Definitely my favourite of the season. Probably my favourite anime from 2014. A 5/5 and 10/10 as usual.
Aug 23, 2014 2:34 PM

May 2013
Naru was so happy with Sensei's gift lol. The second half of the episode had a more relaxing feel to it.
Aug 23, 2014 2:35 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
xpaula said:
Naru's birthday was sweet. But why did they say they only held a birthday party for Naru because sensei was there?
Adults are often disconnected from a kid's world unless that kid is their own child (and even then...). Her grandfather, still working the fields, is probably to tired and distracted to think of those things. These kids feel Handa is somehow part of their world, and part of Naru's world in particular, and I figure they just assumed he would be involved and happy to have a party at "his" place, which is more "their" place really.
Aug 23, 2014 2:45 PM

Nov 2007
Beautiful heartwarming episode:')
Aug 23, 2014 2:50 PM
Aug 2013
Loved the episode. This anime is definitely my favorite this season. I'm so sad we only have 4 left, but since they starting serializing the manga in English, I'll just buy it to read the whole thing.
Aug 23, 2014 2:56 PM

Nov 2007
Summer insects capturing. Having fun though many difficulties.

Wow, extra copies of keys! It's the girl's b-day.

Main girl's grandma's tomb sweeping. lol @ his face when he got attacked by the highschool girl from capturing the "parashoot".

Wait, dog looking guy?

No broadcast next Saturday...
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 23, 2014 3:04 PM

Sep 2011
this ep was so heartwarming ;u; <3

Cratex said:
"Sensei, you ain't taking life seriously!"
-- random kid, reflecting on Sensei's (lack of) bug catching skills

LOL
Aug 23, 2014 3:12 PM

Jan 2014
"It'll probably grow even if i dont water them....." to "She'll probably grow even if I wasent here"

I wonder about Naru's parents too. Are they always away on work or something?
Aug 23, 2014 3:17 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Bikdu866 said:
"It'll probably grow even if i dont water them....." to "She'll probably grow even if I wasent here"
Ohhh, awesome catch!
Aug 23, 2014 3:17 PM

Feb 2014
Really liked the episode, it was Naru's birthday and sensei tried tio catch bugs, but he ended uo killing them, this environment is not really made for him.
Then they went to visit a the graves, looks like everyone likes Naru's grandma, she was probably a good person in that village.
Aug 23, 2014 3:21 PM

Nov 2011
tsubasalover said:
No broadcast next Saturday...

It's not airing next week?
Aug 23, 2014 4:48 PM

Nov 2013
Heartwarming stuff. When I started watching this show I thought that Naru would irritate me somewhat but you just can't help but love her.

How's the manga going anyway? Is it popular? I hope there's a possibility for a season two ;___;
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Aug 23, 2014 5:13 PM

Apr 2014
Vexper said:
Heartwarming stuff. When I started watching this show I thought that Naru would irritate me somewhat but you just can't help but love her.

same here

Did anyone else think of island beetle farming in animal crossing new leaf while watching this episode? B) haha
Aug 23, 2014 5:16 PM

Jun 2013
I love this Naru focused episode seeing Sensai genuinely care on what to get on her birthday as well as his curiosity of the whereabouts of Naru's parents. Laughed at this episode too and I enjoyed the touch of seriousness that this one brought. My kokoro is warm now. 5/5

Damn, even the kids are wise on this island. I gotta find me the next ticket to the place soon! XD
Aug 23, 2014 5:35 PM
Mar 2014
A really nice episode, but it's starting to get a bit serious here with all the talk of leaving.
Aug 23, 2014 5:40 PM

Sep 2012
The comedy wasn't as good as usual, but it still remained heartwarming.

OK episode!
Aug 23, 2014 5:48 PM

May 2013
That was a cute episode towards the end c:
Aug 23, 2014 5:49 PM

Aug 2008
Naru is super adorable! I liked the second half a lot! I'm glad they mentioned the absence of Naru's parents in the anime.
Aug 23, 2014 6:05 PM

Jul 2010
Naru's birthday starting a beetle hunting group! Those imaginary scenarios :)
Sensei competing with the kids xD
Kenta and the other children really enjoying Sensei playing with them!
All those spare keys to his house :O And one is lost too!

Bon festival with grave visiting. Naru's grandma seems like quite the wonderful person since lots of people visit!
Miwa elbowing Sensei to catch the parachute xD Tama's comment!
Naru enjoying the festival a lot more than usual with Sensei around! ^w^

Naru's parents!?! I tend to think about the worst situation though >.>
Aug 23, 2014 6:15 PM

Nov 2012
As delightful as ever.

Lol'd @ Sensei getting bitten and squashing the beetle,RIP Heracles.

Miwa stealing the catch from Sensei and Sensei's evil eye XD.

Grave visiting scene was heartwarming.

I hope Sensei never leaves the island/Naru.
VanishingKiraAug 23, 2014 6:19 PM
Aug 23, 2014 6:20 PM

Aug 2014
Bikdu866 said:

Abandoned her, maybe ?
Aug 23, 2014 6:43 PM

Mar 2013
Enjoyable episode. Especially the short at the end with Hanada's dream of Puchi.
Aug 23, 2014 6:55 PM

Dec 2012
My goodness, I love this anime so much. Great episode! Like others have said, it was really heartwarming. I really wonder what's up with Naru's parental situation. I noticed during the first part of the episode during her birthday, she said "Oh, that's right! It's my birthday!" or something along those lines; as if she wasn't even reminded. I'm probably looking too far into it since I'm sure her grandpa remembers, but hey, it kinda seemed that way.

On another note, I wish this anime was at least 24 episodes..
Uber_DewberAug 23, 2014 7:01 PM
Aug 23, 2014 7:05 PM
Mar 2013
Yasuba said something calm and thoughtful again.
"Take a look at the fire of the candle. She's smiling."

I love Puch's debonair way of speaking at the last part, too.
Aug 23, 2014 7:36 PM
Jul 2018
Poor Handa, he isn't good with bugs. Naru loved his gift after all.
Aug 23, 2014 8:06 PM

Jun 2014
Only 4 more episodes left and that makes me sad!

This anime is such a great heartwarming comedy! I think the reason I enjoy it so much is that it reminds me a lot of Usagi Drop in the way every episode touches your soul.

Here is hoping they announce a second season and this will definitely be a day one buy for me when it releases on blu-ray/dvd!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Aug 23, 2014 8:22 PM

Jul 2013
brilliant episode once again. i hope this show gets a 2nd season
Aug 23, 2014 8:50 PM
May 2009
QuestForMaiWaifu said:
Bikdu866 said:

Abandoned her, maybe ?

Or maybe Naru was adopted by the grandpa and grandma, and is actually an orphan?
Aug 23, 2014 9:10 PM

Apr 2014
You know, this entire time I've thought of Naru as very outgoing and definitely one of the major sources of the lightheartedness in this anime, yet I've never stopped to consider what her personal life is like. It's apparent that she seeks others, but for some reason I never realized that her real family is pretty much absent. She never talks about her parents, and I imagine she would, so I'm thinking there must be some sort of bad experience there. But even so, the townsfolk are her family of sorts. All of them seem like a giant family, with how close they are to each other; each person is familiar with everyone else and I never sense any animosity between people in this anime.

But Naru, Naru. We know so much and so little about her. All of what we've seen of Naru in Barakmon is just a surface appearance; we know she's cheerful, but what stood out to me most is that it's a mystery even to Handa what she really likes. It's also a question about what her family is like, and where she goes home to sleep at night. Does she miss her parents, or do the friendships of all the people in her village fill that gap? Even though she has so many people who adore her, I doubt it can still be the same thing as having parents would be. In essence, she's really just a child of the town. Her behaviour reflects that of everyone- outgoing, playful, always with a smile on her face, very welcoming, open-minded. Perhaps, since it appears as though she's indeed been raised by the people of the island, Naru is that way because that's all she's ever known. It's quite often that children come to, at least partially, reflect the outlooks of their parents and family, isn't it?

Handa provides another perspective. Because of his calligraphy, he missed out on being able to have fun and be outside. It's not saying that calligraphy isn't fun, but it's also something that detracts from the other experiences that he could have gone through in his life. Now, as a young adult, he's experiencing his rightful childhood. And that's nothing to be sneezed at; there's no rule that dictates when you can have those experiences. The problem is, in a childhood, the viewpoint of most children is clear, innocent, unmarred by the experiences of later life and the negative things in this world. The older you get, the more paranoid you get, expressed as simply as when Handa fears touching the bug. Now that he's going through childhood experiences, he can't really experience it the same way as the children do because he's already seen much of the world. I've noticed adults tend to see the more negative things in life. Knowledge is good, but there's also many instances where it can detract from happiness.

Take Charlie Gordon from the novel Flowers for Algernon. A mentally disabled young adult, he undergoes an operation to make him more intelligent, which should, ideally, contribute to his happiness. But it does quite the opposite. He discovers that his friends only hung around him because they liked to make fun of him, he discovers that love is much more complex than even him, as a now intelligent being, can understand; he is fired from his company because everyone fears his intelligence, and for that same reason many people stop associating with him. With his intelligence, he gains an awareness of this world. So in a sense, he might be more mature, but he can also realize what terrible things happen in our society.

It's not as severe with Handa, of course, but the idea of trying to be too conscious of what's going on in the world and then becoming more and more distraught certainly applies. On the island, he learns that it's better just to do things, and take things as they come and go. Life changes; there's no such thing as something being truly routine. If Handa had continued to be wary of everyone, he wouldn't have made friends with the people of the village. So he embraced the more easygoing view of the world, didn't focus on trying to intelligently analyze everything as though they were algorithms, because really, even though math can play a big part in nature, it doesn't truly account for how humans function and socialize. A mathematical equation or an instruction booklet can only do a poor job at best of telling you how to socialize with others.

This is a good segue into my other point. The problem with Handa and his calligraphy is that he consciously tries to be creative. I mean, trying new things is fine, but it seems like he's just forcing himself to be creative. Creativity is an unconscious process most of the time; you don't develop an art style by setting rules and trying to form it out of your own will, it kind of just evolves over time. I can't describe how my art has progressed to where it is now. I didn't consciously try to make many of the changes that I've seen occur in my art style, yet nevertheless, they continued and still do appear. It's not something that you can manipulate and force into happening; yes, you can stimulate creativity, but it doesn't really have a definite shape. It can't be molded into the desired product, and quite often the products of creativity aren't really what you had envisioned, but they are unique to you. This is something difficult for me to explain especially since it's an unconscious process, but I tried my best to make it as clear as possible. So Handa needs to just let his unconscious do the work, and someday, he'll find something that he can call his own.

And as a last note, what the dog said was very interesting. Handa has only ever been completely accepted in this island town. When he lived back in the urban areas, there were always people who would criticize him because he didn't conform to societal expectations. On the other hand, in the village, there are many different types of people with many different personalities, but one factor unifies them all- they're all welcoming and tolerant of everyone. It matters not if Handa's attitude and upbringing is very different from that of everyone else's. I actually find that it's rarely mentioned, how much he stands apart from everyone else, and that's because the townspeople consider him to be one of their own. Yes, they do make comments about how life is different here, but they've never spoken about the city-dwellers in a derogatory way. What's sad is that people living in urban areas will often make offensive comments about people living in the countryside or rural areas. But I guess that's a difference in attitudes...

[ a ] [ i ] wo atsumete
たくさん の あい お あつめたら
tumblr
ことば で きみ に とどけよう
deviantart
みえない きもち お かたち に したら
last.fm
こころ の なか まで とどく から

Aug 23, 2014 9:22 PM

May 2009
The bug catching was hilarious!
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Aug 23, 2014 10:05 PM

Jun 2013
God this show pulls my heartstrings with the littlest of things. That's a testament to how much I love these characters.

I'm anticipating some strong feels regarding Naru and her parents...
Aug 23, 2014 10:16 PM

Apr 2014
SENSEI! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!? THE HERCULES BEETLE COST 12000 BELLS IN ANIMAL CROSSING!!! You have committed a great sin...
Aug 23, 2014 10:25 PM

Oct 2013
Another exceptional heartwarming episode. Feeling good~
Aug 23, 2014 10:27 PM

Dec 2011
The bug catching was fun. Getting bitten by the stag and squashing the Hercules... hahaha. Naru's reaction to that card is gold!

And it finally touched one of the things I want to know in the series... just where is Naru's parents? Can't wait to see when we get her flashback.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 23, 2014 10:35 PM

Oct 2013
GAAAAHHHH. This anime is so damn charming. I'm going to be depressed when it's over. ;_;

I hope it gets a second season. ;____;

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Aug 23, 2014 10:56 PM

Aug 2011
Man I love this show
Aug 24, 2014 1:13 AM
Jul 2018
Another sweet and heartwarming episode. It's shame that is has only four episodes left to go.
Aug 24, 2014 1:32 AM

Apr 2009
Heartwarming Q_Q
Aug 24, 2014 2:27 AM

Dec 2011
LOL, they caught Handa-sensei trying to do butt calligraphy, while coming to tell him that Naru's birthday is here!

Hahahaha, Handa-sensei thinking about Naru's reaction to his presents and especially to the hand mirror was hilarious.

Wow... getting told by kids that life and bug catching aren't that easy as he thinks lol.

Formation beta failed hahahaha.

C'mon sensei... getting scared like that...

HAHAHAHA, Handa-sensei smashed Hercules-chan XD.

Awwww, Naru's turning 7 and she's one step closer to being legal for sensei mwahahahaha :3

Damn Naru was really thrilled when she got her beloved Handa-sensei's present XD.

Naru's grandma T.T

LOL, Miwa just bish slapped Handa-sensei with her elbow XD.

Yeah... switching from talking serious shit like Handa-sensei returning to Tokyo if his punishment was lifted to talking about freaking homework lol.

Naru's so sweet and adorable :3

Still... I wonder where Naru's parent really are hmmm...
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2014

158 by Euonymus »»
Mar 20, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

337 by Devonnius »»
Feb 21, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 5, 2014

400 by Devonnius »»
Feb 20, 10:31 PM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

175 by Softhenic03 »»
Jan 24, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2014

148 by Softhenic03 »»
Jan 24, 10:04 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.