Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Soul Eater NOT!
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 17, 2014 10:05 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Poor Anya, she's a bit stressed now :(

It was a bit of a tense episode. Liz & Patty joins this though and everyone is helping. Seriously, I would not want to ride with Liz on a bike. Does she even have a license? LOL. Anyways, I hope Anya and Tsugumi is able to stop the shit that Shaula has caused so far.
Jun 17, 2014 3:10 PM

Jul 2012
I'm curious to see how the foreshadowing(provided it was) from earlier in the season will be resolved

"I've heard of a meister with two weapons, but not a weapon with two meisters" or something like that.

I figure they'll find some way to make it work, then the three of them will stomp Shaula, followed by festival shenanigans
"Let's make a miracle happen using the power of friendship."
"If that was all it took, there'd be no need for training arcs!"

"Normal rabbits don't carry guns!"
Jun 17, 2014 3:11 PM

Dec 2012
I really hope this means there will be some more resonance between Anya and Tsugumi in the last episode! Seeing the bond between weapons and meisters is what makes this series!

But REALLY!?! Cameos from pretty much everyone Except for Kid???. . . . . .NO LIKE!!
The 2002 Tokyo Mew Mew adaptation is not as great as you remember it being.
Jun 17, 2014 3:12 PM
Mar 2012
Tsugumi turning into a flying scythe and Anya riding her... Highlight of the episode.
Jun 17, 2014 3:44 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
alexpte said:
Tsugumi turning into a flying scythe and Anya riding her... Highlight of the episode.

Halberd :>
Flying Halberd
quite the witch tool nowadays

Pls put flying halberds in new HP

This episode was nice, though super predictable. Though I felt the soul resonance scene was a bit cheesy, the soundtrack sounded really good and the animation for the fights were splendid.

Are we going to get Kid with Liz & Patty soon?
Will our cute girls defeat a witch and will Tsugumi eat her soul???
WILL SHE EAT ANY SOULS?????
cute girls shouldn't eat souls :c
Jun 17, 2014 4:08 PM
Oct 2010
Great episode, it is safe to assume that the body covered in cloth at Stein's house is Sid, but that he can't make a massive impact in the next episode as it won't flow into the Soul Eater manga/anime where he was a surprise as a zombie and there was room for Stein and Sid to be considered antagonists on introduction.

I was a little worried about the flying scythe thing as flying weapons are rather rare with the only ones in the series proper being EAT ranked weapons with a ton of witch souls behind them. I guess it is cool if they need a run up, fly poorly in comparison to Jacqueline and so on.

Looking forward to the final episode in two weeks time ( ) and hoping that this leads into a Soul Eater NOT where the NOT cast still get some more cameos as only Akane and Clay really make a showing later in the manga.
Jun 17, 2014 5:37 PM

Sep 2011
bleh, bad episode. though, once again, stein was the best part of the show. thats noting against stein but if you need to use a character that is so universally loved to make things interesting at all then you've failed at your job. the fights with including the original characters had no flair to them, the voice acting was below par for them as well, and was paced horribly due to time constraints.
Jun 17, 2014 6:12 PM

Jul 2011
Anyone mind explaining something for me.

Jun 17, 2014 6:21 PM

Dec 2013
Fairly good episode. It was pleasant to see the resolve of our main girls, and the soul resonance was a nice touch after so many episodes of Tsugumi's inability to decide on a partner and lack of control over her transformations.

I also enjoyed how the original SE characters are included, though I expected Kid to be more involved as he's yet to show up for the final showdown. We even got to see Ox being bad ass, so Kid better show up.

It's pretty predictable how this one is going to end. Anya and Tsugumi free Meme of the mind control, the three of them resonate together as a throwback to the statement earlier in the series about a meister having two weapons but not a weapon having two meisters, and they'll defeat Shaula... Happily ever after.

So, all in all, I'd say this episode deserves a pretty solid 7/10.
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Jun 17, 2014 7:18 PM

Aug 2013
NOT students taking on a witch? Come on.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jun 17, 2014 8:03 PM

Jul 2012
What an episode. :3

We got to see some cool action scenes with Maka, Black Star, and even Ox! Sweet! That was pretty cool. :3

So, Anya and Tsugumi are off to save Meme from the mind controlling powers of the witch! x3 Woot~! Go and save Meme you guys! x3

It's too bad the next episode has to be aired 2 weeks from now instead of next week. :P
Jun 17, 2014 8:21 PM

Dec 2010
Looks like Anya route achieved?

This was a good episode with some nice development! Too bad the animation quality isn't that good though, characters keep going off model like its going out of style!

I thought the whole flying halberd thing came from no where though. The only reason Jaquelin can do it is because she uses the propulsion from her flames to speed her around. So wings on a halberd seemed kind of odd, but I can go with it, I don't understand the science behind Soul Resonance after all!

Looking forward to the final episode in 2 weeks!
Jun 17, 2014 9:50 PM

Jun 2013
It's about time Black*Star gets the spotlight again.
Jun 17, 2014 10:02 PM

Jul 2013
Yay, Black Star gets some screen time in here, but I wish Death the Kid also stars in this episode. The festival is now in ruined and everything is in Chaos.

Now time to save Meme from being mind control. As always Steins is pretty much of a troll here XD.

Jun 17, 2014 10:17 PM
Apr 2014
I kinda got all blushy over that soul resonance. It's like watching a baby walk for the first time.

And Black*Star and Tsubaki are finally back, happiness.
Jun 18, 2014 1:35 AM
Sep 2013
Guys, if you're a 'Soul Eater' fan, the whole flying incident is pretty reasonable...Soul also turned into a flying scyth for Maka and stuff. I can't remember too well. Anyway, I can't wait for some action to happen next week! Too bad it'll be the last episode :(
Jun 18, 2014 2:05 AM

Nov 2011
Still very litle Death the Kid :(

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jun 18, 2014 2:13 AM

Dec 2010
It was cool that Tsugumi was finally able to turn into something, but I didn't like that she could fly...it took Maka and Soul such a long time to be able to fly, and for Tsugumi and Anya who are in the NOT class being able to fly after a soul resonance.. just no...
In the next episode I guess Tsugumi will finally find her determination, and probably turn into two weapons or something so that both Anya and Meme can be her partners. If this doesn't happen I hope for Anya and Tsugumi to partner up.
Jun 18, 2014 2:14 AM

Jan 2009
the music in the 2nd half of this ep was just epic.

9/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Jun 18, 2014 2:18 AM

May 2013
A flying Halberd. Not something you see everyday. Last episode next week. Meme is still under Shaula's control. Saying, "Kill".
Jun 18, 2014 2:30 AM

Jul 2011
soraibi said:
Guys, if you're a 'Soul Eater' fan, the whole flying incident is pretty reasonable...Soul also turned into a flying scyth for Maka and stuff. I can't remember too well. Anyway, I can't wait for some action to happen next week! Too bad it'll be the last episode :(

That was only after Soul
Jun 18, 2014 3:30 AM

Mar 2010
Well that's one way to get between Anya's legs... Iykwim
"Then again, if she's not my sibling, there's no bling, either" - Ararararagi Koyomi
Jun 18, 2014 5:58 AM
Dec 2013
the brakes, the brakes THE BRAKES!
Jun 18, 2014 9:32 AM

Oct 2011
Maka and Blackstar, fighting together !!!

I hope they can save Meme!!!
Jun 18, 2014 11:23 AM

Apr 2010
So it seems Tsugumi has the best connection with Anya after all and i was rooting for her.
Knowing anime however it will probably end with not choice at all which would be a shame and annoying, it's almost like anime want people to be indecisive.
Other then that it was a funny episode to watch.
Jun 18, 2014 12:14 PM

Jul 2011
infinitymonkey said:
That was only after Soul

I thought so too... the flying thing was just... eh.

They're just burdening everyone by trying to save Meme. >>

Well atleast we get a little bit of action from the original cast.
Jun 18, 2014 1:25 PM

May 2013
Sorry but the episode was just... bad.

So flying weapon, eh? Did Soul and Maka only take a long time to figure out at the end of the series with already having tones of power and experience... But hey, they got their girly heart wings on the first try without her even having a blade (which seems to me would be far, far below flying in the progresssion list of turning into a weapon but what do I know? They never even once showed them training together afterall!)

And their whole motivation just makes them look like selfish douchebags:
"We don't care about all the other people who are mind controlled and need help as long as Meme is save, so give us the (at that moment) ONLY sample of the anti-poison, we totally know what to do as NOT class students who never were in a actual fight or trained together, only with the power of friendship against one of the Gorgon sisters! You know what, I even wrote down our plan right here, take a look at it...

1. Get anti-poison
2. Find Shaula Gorgon
3. ????
4. Meme saved

Nothing can go wrong at this point!"

Together with the really sub-par animation at most parts and even the little fights of original Soul Eater characters this wasn't really good at all...

And I could excuse all this if they used the 10 episodes before this for more than just fillering around - More about the characters backgrounds, more about the classes in DWMA and their progression as characters instead of the same running gags over and over again. That's why I watched this anime in the first place, to know more about the world and the academy, because at the start of Soul Eater Maka and Soul are pretty much top EAT class students already who know how to use their powers. Here they took 10 episodes to progress with the stuff that could've happend in 4-5, 10 episodes until they reveal that Anya is a princess (Who would've thought? WHAT A PLOT TWIST!) and other minor details that we could already know at this point. Do I know anything more about the characters? No, I still know nothing else about Anja's or Meme's familiy or their motivations and this is episode 11, nor anything distinct about their fighting styles (you know, stuff beyond the few hints we have got) or their powers as Meisters (you don't just get accepted to DWMA for wanting to go there or atleast I was always thinking that you have to have a more powerful soul than a normal person to begin with).

And now here we are, they face a witch but not even any witch, one of the Gorgon sisters and if she has atleast a fraction of the power that Medusa or Arachne, no scratch that... a fraction of the power of Blair has then they are as good as dead (btw. we also know nothing about the villian of this series even though she looks really interesting... if only they had used a few minutes now and then to actually develop characters). Maybe I'm wrong and they talk her into giving up with selfish friendship above all else... but I would guess this is pretty much a situation where a fight is unavoidable... and somehow I just don't see a scenario that makes sense where they win this thing.

This rant is just my opinion as somebody who like Soul Eater alot. I don't want to hate this spin-off series but it doesn't make it especially hard NOT to do so... (oh btw. if this series is meant as Soul Eater "NOT" to be so different and more light hearted then please don't start creating a serious plot in the background that is clearly more like Soul Eater than it is NOT).
DancingJackJun 18, 2014 1:36 PM
"The fool who believed in miracles now walks among the dead." ~ Blade of the Phantom Master
Jun 18, 2014 2:07 PM

Sep 2013
Flying halberd... Nobody ever said Soul Resonance was only for battles and Tsugumi's ability and form in Soul Resonance through Anya could simply be a flying halberd.

And there isnt a chance in hell even the 3 of them could take on Shaula even with Soul Protect. But this leads to the question, if neither Sid nor Stein has made a Death Scythe, who defeats Shaula? Ill put money on Medusa; nobody likes someone else causing chaos during their experiment/investigation.
Jun 18, 2014 2:43 PM

Jul 2008
Crez said:

But REALLY!?! Cameos from pretty much everyone Except for Kid???. . . . . .NO LIKE!!

At this point of the story Kid isn't a student of Shibusen, he's probably not even in the city since he can travel where the fuck he pleases with his board. I mean if he found Patricia and Elizabeth in New York he's probably travelling a lot. Kid was always given some job by his father involving stuff far outside of Shibusen, probably because Death himself couldn't live the city so he wanted his son to act as his proxy.
Jun 18, 2014 2:43 PM

May 2014
Well, at least they were not flying at high speed ou with complexe movements, but I still don't like the flying halberb thing. If that weren't their FIRST RESONANCE IN LIFE the I could try to accept.

The only way I see the trio actually beating Shaula is if a two meister one weapon resonance make the weapon twice as powerful (and again with no training or something like that)
Jun 18, 2014 2:45 PM

Jan 2013
Lool lets be real here, What the fuck can they do ?

party: meme, where are you friends
meme: ahh, you're right *groans in pain* *spell breaks*

dont tell me its like that

Jun 18, 2014 3:50 PM

Jul 2008
destonyDbaby said:

Shaula absolutely cannot drop her soul protect to use magic, if she does then her position will be found out and Shibusen will easily be able to dispose of her. If both of them manage to inject the antidote in Meme and it actually works then they will be up against a magic-less Shaula and they actually stand a chance not that it will be an easy fight anyway.

They aren't in a bad position, Shaula is.
Jun 18, 2014 5:15 PM

May 2013
Shangetsu said:
destonyDbaby said:

Shaula absolutely cannot drop her soul protect to use magic, if she does then her position will be found out and Shibusen will easily be able to dispose of her. If both of them manage to inject the antidote in Meme and it actually works then they will be up against a magic-less Shaula and they actually stand a chance not that it will be an easy fight anyway.

Sorry but let's get real here... like Shaula needs her magic to beat those two. One sting and it is over and Shaula (as shown) doesn't need magic to do that.
"The fool who believed in miracles now walks among the dead." ~ Blade of the Phantom Master
Jun 18, 2014 5:15 PM
Jun 2014
Yeah, i know what you guys mean, I've only been keeping up with this show to see more soul eater law, and the plot and character development keeps going up its own arse.
1) why is everyone ok with sending two NOT students to (what should be) their death? the original soul eater characters couldn't last a minute against a witch in till about 3/4 of the way in.
2) How come tsugumi (sorry if thats wrong) is able to fly now? im pretty sure maka and soul could only do it because of their Grigori soul thing and the fact that soul was a death scythe.
3) Why is their motivation and plan to save meme so selfish and silly? literally every single character expect them has had a better solution for dealing with the witch.

I know its probably silly ranting about all this, at a show that's pretty much moe filler, but i kinda expected abit more quality from bones. This shows kinda been bugging me in small ways like this for the whole series, its ok as its own little thing, but i wish it could have been a little more, ya know :P
Jun 18, 2014 7:24 PM
Feb 2010
KINDA F'ED UP oh yeah..... she can fly......... maka could too.... like 120 chapters later im callin shenanigans
Jun 18, 2014 7:52 PM

Mar 2014
DancingJack said:
Shangetsu said:

Sorry but let's get real here... like Shaula needs her magic to beat those two. One sting and it is over and Shaula (as shown) doesn't need magic to do that.

Shaula has to be in closer range than how long the Halberd is.

even then, Anya has been trained since birth in physical prowess. there is no way a witch that relies on magic to fight can beat her without magic. that just isnt logical. Anya even has a halberd.
Jun 18, 2014 7:59 PM

Mar 2014
Kris006 said:
Yeah, i know what you guys mean, I've only been keeping up with this show to see more soul eater law, and the plot and character development keeps going up its own arse.
1) why is everyone ok with sending two NOT students to (what should be) their death? the original soul eater characters couldn't last a minute against a witch in till about 3/4 of the way in.
2) How come tsugumi (sorry if thats wrong) is able to fly now? im pretty sure maka and soul could only do it because of their Grigori soul thing and the fact that soul was a death scythe.
3) Why is their motivation and plan to save meme so selfish and silly? literally every single character expect them has had a better solution for dealing with the witch.

1. because a Witch w/o magic can't fight, as soon as they get Meme on their side, its gonna be a halberd and two Physically super trained girls against a witch that can't use magic.

2. some people just have different resonance, meaning their resonance can accomplish different things at different time compared to Soul/Maka. Soul has had his blade since before he even had a partner, yet this Halberd has two and she doesn't have one

3. by solution i guess you mean reason. even though they stated they wanted to save Meme first and foremost, they most likely care about everyone else. '

i mean if Maka's mother was in imminent danger, i would expect that to be Maka's top priority.
Jun 18, 2014 8:46 PM

May 2013
1. because a Witch w/o magic can't fight, as soon as they get Meme on their side, its gonna be a halberd and two Physically super trained girls against a witch that can't use magic.

I see you want to be optimistic about this but a witch without magic can still fight (which is proven by this show itself) and what I see here is a weapon without blade or any powers to speak off, wielded by a NOT class student and untrained meister (and I mean real meister training, not a bit of self-defense) who easily lost against a single, unarmed EAT class student versus a Gorgon sister who took out and turned many highly trained Shibusen agents without breaking a sweat or using any magic. ...Oh and killed Sid, a teacher, without any magic, I totally forgot about that (well, we know he is not really dead but she still beat him).

At this point I estimate their power to be around... getting killed by someone with a Kishin soul, like the ripper guy that Maka takes on at the beginning of Soul Eater. There is a reason why they are in a NOT class and I'm talking also about Anja and Meme as meisters...
Jun 18, 2014 9:55 PM
Apr 2014
Now for something that is entirely unrelated to why a witch can dispatch of the lowest tier not-even-agents from the DWMA.

Why is Tsugumi's soul purple? Do weapons have the same colored souls as witches? But even then in Soul Eater when characters would Soul Resonate both of their souls were shown as blue.
Jun 18, 2014 9:58 PM

Jan 2008
Lolwut at the flying. I guess Tsugumi must be special. Unless that's her soul resonance form or something (like how Soul's is Witch/Demon Hunter) which would be weird.

Well regardless, the animation felt pretty poor here. Lol'd at Anya trying to run away in high heels. Was hoping to see Zombie Sid.
Jun 18, 2014 10:17 PM

Mar 2014
DancingJack said:

I see you want to be optimistic about this but a witch without magic can still fight (which is proven by this show itself) and what I see here is a weapon without blade or any powers to speak off, wielded by a NOT class student and untrained meister (and I mean real meister training, not a bit of self-defense) who easily lost against a single, unarmed EAT class student versus a Gorgon sister who took out and turned many highly trained Shibusen agents without breaking a sweat or using any magic. ...Oh and killed Sid, a teacher, without any magic, I totally forgot about that (well, we know he is not really dead but she still beat him).

At this point I estimate their power to be around... getting killed by someone with a Kishin soul, like the ripper guy that Maka takes on at the beginning of Soul Eater. There is a reason why they are in a NOT class and I'm talking also about Anja and Meme as meisters...

ehehehe, excatly wtf? first of all

1. this show has not proven a witch could fight w/o magic. furthermore, basic logic would tell you that people who fight using magic are at a disadvantage when they don't have access to it.

2. spare me the whole "NOT" thing. let me tell you something, Black Star AND his weapon got their skills from their clans, not from some classes at the school. they were trained since birth, just like ANYA AND MEME. you actually think "a bit of self defense" could allow them to do what they have been doing throughout the show? (as in Meme's superior sleep-boxing, Anya's ability to cut multiple leaves in a second without a blade, ect).

3. every "kill" Gorgon has preform, she hasn't done with her own attack power. when she was using Meme's body, that was simply her using Meme's physical prowess to her advantage w/ remote mind control. in the fight with Sid, she used Meme as a distraction to inject poison.

4. You clearly think that being in NOT means you just aren't strong enough yet, which i consider not true. Obviously the reason as to why Anya and Meme aren't in EAT are for personal reasons (Meme's mission doesn't require her to be in EAT and Anya was clearly being sheltered by her family plus anya is just sightseeing)
Jun 19, 2014 5:40 AM

Nov 2013
Something really confuses me about the timeline of this show relative to the original series...
Jun 19, 2014 8:34 AM
Mar 2010
Botato said:
Something really confuses me about the timeline of this show relative to the original series...

Jun 19, 2014 8:46 AM

Nov 2013
GrayArchon said:
Botato said:

Jun 19, 2014 9:30 AM

Oct 2013
WhisperBit said:
Well that's one way to get between Anya's legs... Iykwim

Oh god! I'm completely oblivious to what you mean.. Do elaborate..
"Burn the heretics"
Jun 19, 2014 11:08 AM
Jul 2013
I think that, that was the most intense episode of Soul Eater Not.
Yay! Maka and Black Star were fighting :D
Only now I notice that it has only 12 eps :/
Jun 19, 2014 3:39 PM
Jun 2014
Botato said:

Jun 19, 2014 6:41 PM

Jun 2012
Wow it took soul forever to get wings and he needed to become a death scythe too. Tsugumi too op. lol

And yes Akane!! I ship him and Tsugumi so much.
Jun 20, 2014 12:30 AM

Jun 2014
I think everyone's a bit too strict on Soul Eater NOT, I don't think the people who wrote it really took every small thing into consideration; soul resonance; soul colour; timeline conflicts, etc. It's for the sake of the plot and the protagonist of the series that is, the 3 girls.

But I agree it is absurd to create a series based on an already well established background to miss points like this. I do think that Tsugumi's soul resonance could probably be more utility (wings) than Soul's witch hunter, keeping in mind Soul is in EAT (more combat orientated) and to each their own distinctive ability. Also the primary objective for resonating soul's there was to fly, how they knew if she could grow wings - no idea. (They missed out on the scene where they both yell "Resonance of Souls" and the souls combine. :c )

THEN AGAIN, it IS a slice of life, spin off series so relax and enjoy the series. I'm more than happy just to see the OG cast of Soul Eater (stein <3).

I want to see Shinigami-sama. T_T
junpantsJun 20, 2014 12:37 AM

"We live not to forget our past, but to learn from it!"

―Freya Crescent, Final Fantasy IX.
Jun 20, 2014 9:05 AM
Mar 2014
Oh gosh, this episode is what the whole series should've been like (not hating, just saying)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Soul Eater NOT! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2014

187 by UnholyAsian »»
Dec 8, 2023 8:27 PM

Poll: » Soul Eater NOT! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2014

129 by Jengmaru »»
Aug 30, 2023 5:48 PM

Poll: » Soul Eater NOT! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2014

81 by MizuhoKamui »»
Mar 14, 2023 8:39 AM

Poll: » Soul Eater NOT! Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 3, 2014

49 by MizuhoKamui »»
Mar 14, 2023 7:51 AM

Poll: » Soul Eater NOT! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 27, 2014

54 by MizuhoKamui »»
Mar 14, 2023 6:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.