Forum Settings
Forums

How can you be confident in your favorites if you've only seen them once?

New
Jun 6, 2014 10:45 PM

Nov 2012
A good way to see if a book, movie, TV show, game, or anime holds up is to revisit it and see if it can still capture the same positive reaction from you. People's tastes do change over time as they expose themselves more and more to said medium (mostly for the better), so it begs the question. I believe that if something is truly great, your appreciation for it will only increase as you expose yourself more to it.

"Every great film should seem new every time you see it."
Roger Ebert

Also, for those of you who jump to the "pretentious" card when you didn't quite understand a more abstract anime, try giving it a rewatch and reading up on some analyses before jumping to conclusions.

I'm not saying you can't have a favorite unless you've re-watched it, but rather, you can't be too confident in its greatness.
Harmonium94Jun 6, 2014 10:59 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 6, 2014 10:50 PM

Nov 2010
I agree to a point as I'm like that too. All of my 10s have been from anime I've rewatched, I didn't feel like they deserved it until after a rewatch. Though a couple of my favorites I thought actually got worse. But I was able to understand the reason why it's not as good after a rewatch, so it's fine. Not all anime need high rewatchability.
Jun 6, 2014 10:52 PM

Jan 2010
That's the thing. I haven't only seen them once. I've seen them two, three, even five times. Although, I've spent more time rewatching key scenes and episodes than full rewatches, and the time invested probably accounts to another full rewatch or three. Because of this though, most, if not all my favorites, aren't actually rated 10 since after so much time, I recognize the problems they have. Still, I consider them everything I look for in anime, which is why they're my favorites.

As an aside, not all shows are meant to be rewatched, especially with regards to shows that rely on shock and twists. I've actually heard of cases where people refused to rewatch stuff because they knew that if they did, they'd just find flaws with their favorites. This probably also extends into the realm of nostalgia, so it's interesting stuff to look into.
Jun 6, 2014 10:56 PM

Dec 2013
Hmm...I'd say the problem here is that "truly great" is a function of personal tastes and exposure. Anime that I thought fit that description when I started have been gradually demoted as I've expanded my horizons.

I'll have to rewatch my favorites someday to see how my opinions might have changed.
Jun 6, 2014 11:00 PM

Sep 2012
Rewatched Steins;Gate and it's still the best. Did I need to rewatch it to know that? Probably not.

If I felt like a show was a 10 after the first time I watched it, it will always be a 10 to me. If I grow older, watch said anime again, and it begins to lose it's luster, it doesn't matter. At the moment I watched that masterpiece, it was a 10 in my eyes, and it will always be that way.
Jun 6, 2014 11:02 PM

Jan 2011
ive rewatched all of my 10s except Legend of the Galactic Heroes an dont feel that I should lower their scores
in LOGH case, it hasn't been that long since I finished it but I don't think I could lower its score
Jun 6, 2014 11:04 PM

Nov 2012
Shocked said:
That's the thing. I haven't only seen them once. I've seen them two, three, even five times. Although, I've spent more time rewatching key scenes and episodes than full rewatches, and the time invested probably accounts to another full rewatch or three. Because of this though, most, if not all my favorites, aren't actually rated 10 since after so much time, I recognize the problems they have. Still, I consider them everything I look for in anime, which is why they're my favorites.

As an aside, not all shows are meant to be rewatched, especially with regards to shows that rely on shock and twists. I've actually heard of cases where people refused to rewatch stuff because they knew that if they did, they'd just find flaws with their favorites. This probably also extends into the realm of nostalgia, so it's interesting stuff to look into.

Yup. Relying too much on shock factor is a bad thing. The key is to include twists, but not have the enjoyment of the anime rely solely on them. It's a general rule of thumb in ideal storytelling.
Jun 7, 2014 12:21 AM

Jul 2012
I haven't rewatched season two of K-on yet, but I've seen the first season a few times and I love it just as much as before. Everything about that show is amazing.

But I do know what you mean. I used to think Clannad was one of the best shows ever but the more I watch it the less I like it and the more annoying the characters get. Guess the show loses some impact and fun when you already know all of the heroines stories. I don't think it'd be such a problem if I liked the characters more.
Jun 7, 2014 12:30 AM

Jul 2013
I watched all of my favorites more than once.
Jun 7, 2014 12:42 AM

Mar 2013
Recently rewatched 3 of the 5 shows that I have rated 10/10 (the other two are too recent to rewatch).

Turns out, Fate/Zero, Disappearance and Cowboy Bebop are all as good or better the second time 'round. For me, at least. Certainly my appreciation for Bebop grew significantly the second time 'round. Similarly for Fate/Zero as I read the novel before rewatching, and that added a lot to the experience. Disappearance was just really, really good both times.
Jun 7, 2014 12:48 AM

Nov 2012
I've rewatched some of my favourites and parts of the rest of them. They all generally hold up. I didn't need a rewatch to tell me that Book of Bantorra is and will continue to be my favourite show.
Jun 7, 2014 12:50 AM

Aug 2011
Because I have re-watched them all... Well, except for Uchuu Kyoudai, but that will get re-watched at some point.
Jun 7, 2014 12:51 AM
Nov 2008
because i thought it was fun and i don't have to prove anything to you.
Jun 7, 2014 12:58 AM

Apr 2011
Why is it assumed that favorites have to be a "great" series? Does that mean that something flawed like Code Geass can't be a favorite because of it's numerous flaws?

P.S. Just to stay more OT, I did re-watch CG around 5 times and I know of it's flaws. I still fucking love it. I've never rewatched Death Note since I prefer the manga (which I've read around 4-5 times) and as for Bakuman and Shinsekai, I've never bothered to rewatch them either. Still love them and know they're great series. Usagi Drop, I rewatched in one sitting last year and even before that, I knew it was great.
Jun 7, 2014 1:05 AM

Nov 2012
Heredity said:
because i thought it was fun and i don't have to prove anything to you.

If you got the impression that I needed approval from others through this thread then you are mistaken.
Jun 7, 2014 1:09 AM

Aug 2009
Because I don't care enough about anime to justify my interests.

Jun 7, 2014 1:40 AM

Nov 2012
FacelessVixen said:
Because I don't care enough about anime to justify my interests.

That's a perfectly reasonable response.
Jun 7, 2014 1:59 AM

Oct 2010
I have rewatched some of my favorites if that counts, but that's not what makes me confident, if anything it is having them fresh in my memory. Why should I rely on a rewatch more than a first viewing? What if I don't choose the right mood this time?

On the other hand, rewatchability is a quality I appreciate but not a given. Some anime rely on shock value, or building up a mystery, and saying that they are worse for this reason alone is probably unfair.
Jun 7, 2014 2:03 AM

Dec 2012
I've re-watched Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru once, Clannad both seasons once and TTGL like twice before even coming to MAL but never finished it because normal TV air times are a pain and finally finished it sometime last year and I'm happy to say that I enjoyed them all just as much as I first watched them
Jun 7, 2014 2:04 AM

Jan 2011
If it sticks in your head as one of the best then that should do.
Jun 7, 2014 2:35 AM

Dec 2012
I agree to some extent. Re-watching can make you appreciate your favorite anime more, and make you certain of it's quality, like my re-watch of Naruto.

I think re-watching is underrated.
Jun 7, 2014 2:54 AM
Jul 2018
I liked them damn a lot.
Jun 7, 2014 3:26 AM

Feb 2013
im confident because they stood out from other shows i've also seen once and generally had a lasting effect on me for days/weeks/months after finishing it
Jun 7, 2014 6:17 AM

Jan 2014
I am fully confident of them even without rewatching them. I have rewatched a lot of the other anime on my list, and my ratings hardly ever change except for the scores of the worst ones tend to drop after a while.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jun 7, 2014 6:40 AM

Oct 2010
Some things can only work for one go, but that one go can be splendid. ^^
Jun 7, 2014 6:55 AM

Jun 2012
I've re-watched/read everything in my favorites at least 3-5 times, if you haven't your love is clearly false.
Jun 7, 2014 7:10 AM

May 2013
Anything you watch more than once will slowly start to appear worse and worse. This applies to all media, not just Anime.

Besides, if you've seen something once, you most likely understand it fully. Only rarely does one go back to something they've already seen and discover something they hadn't the first time.
Jun 7, 2014 7:50 AM

Aug 2012
I've re-watched all of my favorites at least once already. So I suppose this thread is a bit irrelevant to me. But from what I understand, you don't need to re-watch something to be something that you're sure that it's one of your favorites - I just happened to be someone who likes re-watching.
Jun 7, 2014 8:16 AM

Nov 2013
I've seen all my favourites more then once, and I'm still confident in my decision.

But, as stated before, some things just won't have the same impact if you know what is going to happen. (I have that problem with FMA)

Strangely enough, the anime I've rewatched the most is the one who went down most in score (Gave it a 10 when I first watched it, realized how bad it was in some parts a little more with every rewatch, it's at 6 now).
All worship the great Tatsuya-nii-sama.
Kronie said:
Only those who are lost and empty seek guidance and fulfillment.
Jun 7, 2014 9:30 AM
Apr 2014
I've seen each of the current installments five times.

Needless to say I'm confident in them, still, you don't need to watch a show more than once to claim it your favorite.

Jun 7, 2014 9:35 AM

May 2012
Zergneedsfood said:
I've watched Texhnolyze like twice, am currently on a 3rd rewatch, and have rewatched individual scenes a few times.

Pretty sure I'm confident that I think it's the best anime ever.

At what part does it get interesting? I've seen 2 episodes and I'm a bit bored.
Jun 7, 2014 9:37 AM

Mar 2014
Because they are worthy of being in my favorites.
Jun 7, 2014 9:42 AM
May 2014
I've rewatched my Favorites enough times to make my eyes bleed from exhaustion and then became blind.
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.
Jun 7, 2014 9:45 AM
Jul 2012
romagia said:
im confident because they stood out from other shows i've also seen once and generally had a lasting effect on me for days/weeks/months after finishing it

Pretty much this
Jun 7, 2014 9:50 AM

Feb 2014
I've rewatched my favorites countless times.

Jun 7, 2014 10:05 AM

Apr 2014
DejWoSWK said:
I liked them damn a lot.
Jun 7, 2014 10:40 AM

May 2010
A few of my favorites I've rewatched 2-5 times. And some of the other ones, I have rewatched at least half of the episodes here and there. The only one in my favorites list that I haven't rewatched is Rose of Versailles, but I could tell from one watch that it was a favorite because of how fantastic the story was. I do plan on rewatching it sometime, but I'll wait till it's less fresh in my mind.
Jun 7, 2014 10:48 AM

Dec 2012
When watching an anime that turns out to be my favorite, I know somewhere towards the end that it was one of the more enjoyable series I've watched. I also watch scenes from my favorites over and over again whenever I feel the need to.. that's how I know it's truly a favorite.
Jun 7, 2014 1:42 PM

Nov 2012
I've rewatched all my favorites
Jun 7, 2014 3:58 PM

Jun 2014
I've seen my favorites a couple times actually, and the best ones like steins gate and shingeki no kyojin got better the second time I saw them, and even better after I saw the source material.
I didn't come here to play, I came to win. Now lets play.
Jun 7, 2014 5:17 PM

Jun 2012
I've seen each of my favorites more than once. i.e. I've watched Texhnolyze around 4 times now, and End of Evangelion almost 10 times if I remember correctly! SEL I've watched certain episodes again and again and rewatched the series a couple times years ago. Kaiba I've only seen two times, and I've watched Angel's Egg 3 times completely and 2 times to look at certain scenes. So, I'd guess I'm pretty confident in having watched them pretty extensively.
получить деньги моего друга
Jun 7, 2014 7:57 PM
Nov 2010
I didn't put any anime as my favourite.
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
Jun 7, 2014 9:57 PM

Apr 2014
I'm not a fan of repetition. I don't think I have ever rewatched a movie or tv show. After I know what happens, I just can't be arsed to watch it again, despite how awesome I thought it was the first time.
Jun 7, 2014 10:48 PM

May 2013
Well when I tried to rewatch my old favorite Death Note back in March 2013 when I was starting to really get into anime, it didn't hold up as much. I like it, but it's now far from the number 1 spot on my list. Contrast that to some of my current favorites, Evangelion, FMA, Trigun, and One Piece where I go back and rewatch scenes/episodes, and plan on doing full rewatches at some point. These shows are just amazing.
Jun 8, 2014 12:38 AM

Sep 2011
One time is enough. (though I have re-watched some of them) Plot twists, deaths, and sad scenes in general play a huge role in the first watch and wouldn't have the same impact the second time around. I do re-watch scenes from my favorite anime, but not the whole thing.

That being said, I'm pretty confident about my favorites.
Jun 8, 2014 1:09 AM

Jan 2014
I've watched my favorites multiple times and do so regularly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svpejQ1I7Z0
^^^This is all of you people t(^-^t)
Jun 8, 2014 1:25 AM
Jul 2013
There are times were i throughout some high scores just from watching it once. But I've rewatched all the anime I've watched so far and I change the score according to how i feel about it. But yeah i agree. You need to watch the anime over and see if it still holds the same value.
Jun 8, 2014 1:27 AM

Oct 2012
I've re-watched them, well excluding Hunter x Hunter's Chimera Ant arc 'cause it's not finished.
Jun 8, 2014 5:11 AM

Aug 2012
iv'e rewatched all of my favorites not just the 10's for 2-3 times so im confident.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

129 by FFandMMfan »»
32 seconds ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - Yesterday

17 by AverageRiceFan »»
2 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

71 by AverageRiceFan »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 3 hours ago

17 by Serafos »»
14 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

71 by AverageRiceFan »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.