Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 1, 2014 8:42 PM

Jun 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So these pale bald aliens who wear too much eyeliner come to mine this completely empty, lifeless planet and some spaceships suddenly attack them, and when they chase those spaceships down and fight them, I'm supposed think that they're the bad guys?

At first they call Desler's fleet "unknown enemies", but later correctly refer to them as being from Gamilus, so I don't know if the bald guys are supposed to know what planet that was or why the ships attacked them. Regardless, I don't have much sympathy for Desler's outrage at the perceived desecration of the planet since its largely his fault there's no one alive there to tell the pale aliens to go mine somewhere else.

After the talk about peace in various places and Kodai's angsting after the Yamato virtually annihilated the people of Gamilus in the first TV series, I'm a little surprised at how aggressive and violent the heroes are in this. I suppose the series has degraded into just being a sci-fi action show. It also makes Kodai's refusal to accept the eyeliner guys' desire for war material somewhat hypocritical. We don't even learn the nature of these wars they were talking about, so for all we know they're fighting to defend themselves from something or other. Moreover, these days they seem to be in love with Desler, who I wouldn't trust not to start some wars to "rebuild [his] empire".

I'm pretty ambivalent about Starsha's treacherous solution to her predicament as well. The pale guys were willing to accept a stop to the fighting (that they didn't start) and she killed them all.

The ending narration indicates that the new aliens are going to attack Earth, and frankly they're asking for it after all this. That's what you get when you start shooting people without even knowing what you're doing.

So really, this is a story about how Space Hitler ruined everyone's day.
Oct 4, 2014 5:06 PM

Oct 2009
Fronzel said:
So these pale bald aliens who wear too much eyeliner come to mine this completely empty, lifeless planet and some spaceships suddenly attack them, and when they chase those spaceships down and fight them, I'm supposed think that they're the bad guys?

Authors think for some reason that it goes without saying that those guys are bad... But, actually, it doesn't. Desler didn't even bother to ask them to leave first, he just attacked without any warning

Fronzel said:
Regardless, I don't have much sympathy for Desler's outrage at the perceived desecration of the planet since its largely his fault there's no one alive there to tell the pale aliens to go mine somewhere else.

And I don't have much sympathy for Desler's despair at the perceived destruction of the planet since its entirely his fault it was destroyed in the first place. If you didn't want to see your planet destroyed with your eyes, you shouldn't have actually destroyed it with your hands, man

Fronzel said:
After the talk about peace in various places and Kodai's angsting after the Yamato virtually annihilated the people of Gamilus in the first TV series, I'm a little surprised at how aggressive and violent the heroes are in this.

Me too. They arrive, see two sides fighting, and join sides with Desler - the very one who almost annihilated the whole humanity, and later joined forces with another enemy (but betrayed even them) - and mercilessly attack the other side, since Desler is an ally now. And they only later find out what are their objectives.

Fronzel said:
The ending narration indicates that the new aliens are going to attack Earth, and frankly they're asking for it after all this. That's what you get when you start shooting people without even knowing what you're doing.

That's what I thought, too. On one hand, Desler tells that Starsha is in need of help, and Earth is greatly indebted to her. On the other hand, Starsha is known to be able to speak for herself, and she never asked for any help. Quite contrary, in fact

Fronzel said:
We don't even learn the nature of these wars they were talking about, so for all we know they're fighting to defend themselves from something or other.

The wars are to conquer the whole Universe by default

Fronzel said:
I'm pretty ambivalent about Starsha's treacherous solution to her predicament as well. The pale guys were willing to accept a stop to the fighting (that they didn't start) and she killed them all.

Completely agreed. The only explanation may be that she may know a little bit more, but from where? So it's hard to believe

So Yamazaki bothers to take his gloves off, but Shima doesn't. Maybe Yamazaki's gloves were dirty or something

If Tokugawa doesn't want to be compared to his father, he shouldn't have come to the place where everyone knows him, and if he has, then he shouldn't complain about it

Yamato retracts her wings twice while taking off into space

Commander says that Yamato is the closest one to Iscandar, and that's why they are sending her. Like 55,76 million kilometres matter much when they are going to use warps, anyway
SerhiykoOct 4, 2014 5:12 PM
Aug 19, 2015 4:43 PM

May 2012
It sure was lovely to see Starsha and Mamoru again in this epic movie with intense action and great development!

The pacing in this movie was also very nice and together with that kind of ending, while sad and touching was still fantastic. So I'm really looking forward for what the sequel movie will offer us and then the third season!
RafaelDeJonghAug 19, 2015 4:54 PM
Oct 24, 2016 10:42 PM

Jan 2011
lololol even the baby Sasha was like Leiji has the art skills of a monkey and can only draw 1 woman so Yuki is a totally good replacement for my dead mom Starsha 'cause these bitches all look the same goo goo gaa gaa grabby hands at Yuki.
Mar 4, 2018 7:57 PM

Oct 2010
This thread has had a very high quality-to-length ratio... so far.

With old UC Gundam, I quickly got tired of the obsession (Tomino's?) with idiotic adolescent infatuation ending in doom. With Yamato I'm now tired of suicidal space babes, after Teresa and this. I've learned by now, if the girl agrees to go, she definitely has a secret plan wherein she still gets to tragically die.

Even assuming that the heroes' aggression was justified, Starsha could have achieved the same end by allowing Space Hitler to die. She chose saving Space Hitler over being around to raise her daughter. This kinda devalues the little Starsha bust on my desk.

On the positive side, it was more enjoyable to watch than the Saito bits of Yamato 2.
Jan 9, 2021 2:38 AM

Oct 2007
those bald guys were desecrating his planet, so Desslar was enraged. If he talked to them first, the element of surprise would have been lost. Although I do think attacking those bald guys was pointless, from the point of view of a viewer. However, imagine placing myself in Desslar's situation.. see my home planet being strip-mined.. I might have a different reaction.

and why do these old japanese yamato movies always have a fetish for suicidal women. lol

6/10
Liddo-kunJan 9, 2021 3:18 AM
Nov 14, 2021 9:32 PM

Jul 2007
Liddo-kun said:
those bald guys were desecrating his planet, so Desslar was enraged. If he talked to them first, the element of surprise would have been lost. Although I do think attacking those bald guys was pointless, from the point of view of a viewer. However, imagine placing myself in Desslar's situation.. see my home planet being strip-mined.. I might have a different reaction.

and why do these old japanese yamato movies always have a fetish for suicidal women. lol

6/10

Because Men are the workers, the money earners, and the front line fighters in a time of war, Women's only purpose is to surve as a wife or relationship girlfriend to the men and also clean up after them. Despite that though, women have a strong purpose in helping the Men overcome certain adversity and emotional distrought which is a huge help in keeping the men self oriented and with a level head but that being said, women dying in war/drama series like this, makes more of a emotional impact in the story especially if you have deeped seated relationships and development between major characters.
ArtimesGamerNov 14, 2021 9:36 PM

Apr 8, 2022 1:45 PM

Jun 2015
I feel sorry for Dessler. I never thought the day would come when I say this and all because of Starsha and her stubborn rock of brain. Couldn't she set a timer for the planet to self destruct? They did all of this to save her and she still chose to die with the planet. At least Mamouro and the baby survived.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.