Forum Settings
Forums

Do people REALLY cry when they watch a sad anime?

New
Pages (12) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 11, 2014 8:31 PM

Dec 2012
Tearing up is one thing, but full out "WAAAA UGHHH AUUUUUUUAUAUUUAUAU" crying? That sounds really embarrassing. Ironically I get very emotionally invested into anime to boot, just full out rivers of tears, mucus, and face twisting sadness never arrive.
Apr 11, 2014 8:33 PM

Jun 2012
ThisNameSucks said:
mattbenz99 said:
Hulmy said:
Clannad I can understand.

AnoHana I have no idea because I haven't seen it.

But Angel Beats! wasn't sad at all... I think people bullshit when they say they cried. Hmm... maybe they are just that sensitive?

no angel beats was sad if you accepted the stories unconditionally. if you question them at all it became much less sad
The only scene that (nearly) got me in the series is when
I'm feeling indifferent to the rest of the scenes. Most people find the ending much sadder which I have no idea why since

The only True Ending is the Harem Ending.
Apr 11, 2014 8:35 PM

Oct 2010
I cry easily when it comes to good works of fiction (goes for anime, literature, and theatre, all), but I have to say, AnoHana, in particular, left me gasping for air I was crying so hard through the final episode. Ugly, coughing, gulping, wheezing crying. Not pretty at all, at all. (So what did I do? Of course I invited a friend over to marathon the whole thing with me. She, too, spent the entire final episode with tears rolling down her cheeks, but in a much more sophisticated fashion than I had gone about it, ehehehe.)

Clannad, on the other hand? More like rolling my eyes.

What speaks to any given person is different, and how those people physically manifest their emotions is different, too.
Apr 12, 2014 2:26 PM

Mar 2014
to be honest i've cried at least once in every anime i've watched weather it was because it finished or a certain character was having a hard time
Apr 12, 2014 2:40 PM

Sep 2013
I havent actually CRIED since elementary school but there definitely are moments like One Piece when
that even emotionless bastards like me are on the brink.
Apr 12, 2014 2:45 PM

Jan 2013
Praland said:
Every person is different, i don't find any of those you named being sad.
But i find Joe and Monster sad, for example.

The magnificent Steiner. Let me add that guy to my favorite characters real quick
Apr 12, 2014 2:48 PM

Feb 2013
i shed a few manly tears to some unexpected moments in LOGH, RahXephon and Bokurano

anohana, clannad and such didn't get you , because you were (most likely) expecting them to be all sad and feely
Apr 12, 2014 2:50 PM

Feb 2013
I never really cried but sometimes I got really upset for certain anime.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Apr 12, 2014 2:55 PM
Aug 2013
Old_Raven said:
I havent actually CRIED since elementary school but there definitely are moments like One Piece when
that even emotionless bastards like me are on the brink.
One Piece makes even the manliest men cry like girls. That's why we love it so much.
Apr 12, 2014 2:58 PM

Dec 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:
Tearing up is one thing, but full out "WAAAA UGHHH AUUUUUUUAUAUUUAUAU" crying? That sounds really embarrassing. Ironically I get very emotionally invested into anime to boot, just full out rivers of tears, mucus, and face twisting sadness never arrive.

Incidentally, I wish they'd cut that shit cliche out of anime entirely. It drives a stake through the heart of subtle impact and makes (imho) more eyes roll than tear. But maybe I'm wrong...

As for Angel Beats, I believe Maeda's Ost is the major tear factor, not the story.
DouluoApr 12, 2014 3:02 PM
Apr 12, 2014 3:08 PM

May 2013
Most of the time, no. The majority just say this to make a series appear greater than it actually is. I have also been guilty of this offence previously, unfortunately.

The only 2 series to actually make me shed a tear, much less cry are Toradora and Voices of a Distant Star.

Jan 2014
Every human is different, yknow? Some can be more easily emotionally moved than others. Not that hard to understand, is it OP? He even abandons his own thread, what a joke.

Jun 2008
I've only actually cried once for an anime, and that was One Piece.

There have been a few anime that have got me really close, though.
Fate/Zero

AnoHana

and Mawaru Penguindrum
Apr 12, 2014 3:56 PM

Feb 2014
I've definitely cried watching anime. As for Angel Beats being sad? I didn't find anything from that anime to be very sad. It had it's moments sure, but when I watched it I expected more from it.
TisumiiApr 12, 2014 3:59 PM
Apr 12, 2014 3:58 PM

Oct 2010
If this is the current "what anime made you cry" thread, I made my list in the previous one, so...

But on topic, I can talk from my experience and say that I have got teary-eyed and quite often. I guess though that people tend to exaggerate their reactions when they write about the show, to increase the hype, but there's no reason to deny that they found the anime sad (or whatever) and that it affected them.
Apr 12, 2014 4:02 PM

Jan 2014
Yhuuro said:
Every human is different, yknow?

If only some people realized this.....
Apr 12, 2014 4:07 PM

Feb 2013
If i ever state i "Cried" it isn't entirely false i didn't Balling eyes cry, but like shed like a few tears, i have a medical reason i can't ball eyes cry but i wont talk about that in detail. The Saying "feels" rather annoys me though it just sounds so stupid when said aloud i don't know how that became a trend :P. but alas everyone is different "yada yada". some "cry" some don't.
Argue? Nah Too lazy For That...
Are You Ready!~Gulcasa
Apr 12, 2014 4:09 PM

Jun 2013
After Story is the only anime that has made me cry. Ano Hana wasn't bad, but Angel Beats! got me close. Besides AS nothing has got me to cry.
Apr 12, 2014 5:20 PM

Mar 2013
My eyes teared up when I was watching the end of Shinsekai Yori, but that was mainly due to being slightly drunk. My defenses were down, damn them!
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Apr 12, 2014 5:26 PM
Nov 2013
I cried in Kara no Kyoukai 7, Bakemonogatari episode 12, Mimi wo Sumaseba, Haibane Renmei, Cross Game, Naruto and Naruto Shippuuden, Natsume Yuujinchou, Hanasaku Iroha, Cowboy Bebop, Mushishi, Eve no Jikan, Toradora, Fruits Basket, Hotarubi no Mori e, Kimi ni Todoke, Kobato, Sweet Blue Flowers, Clannad After Story and The Lost Canvas. Anyway, my point is: I'm pretty sure is not a lie.
Apr 12, 2014 5:46 PM

Aug 2013
DerpHole said:
My eyes teared up when I was watching the end of Shinsekai Yori, but that was mainly due to being slightly drunk. My defenses were down, damn them!

This happened to me, I always find myself drunk when watching sad stuff. Clannad Afterstory, i was drunk all day and watched it all in that one day. There was many manly tears shed.
Apr 12, 2014 5:53 PM
Nov 2010
Only when it's done well and actually causes the viewer to empathise, while drawing him in into the perspective of the character.
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
Apr 12, 2014 7:46 PM

Sep 2012
Yeah, they do.
I've found some anime very sad (though far from being those shitty Angel Beats and AnoHana), but only cried with a manga.
Apr 12, 2014 7:54 PM

Jun 2012
Please stop saying manly tears. Either way you're crying like a little bitch.
получить деньги моего друга
Dec 2013
Mugen-No-Ou said:
Yhuuro said:
Every human is different, yknow?

If only some people realized this.....

Yeah..some are short some tall, some are stupid the others not, otaku and anti-otaku, pervert and not perverts, cold people and 'it was so sad' people...
And then there are perfect people like me.

Jul 2012
OK complete pussy alert

when naruto is in a truly awesome arc (lets face it, it is truly awesome or totally shitty)
i don't know, a sad situation comes up, and they play that goddamn sad music and i melt like a bitch. pisses me off.
Apr 12, 2014 8:21 PM

Nov 2013
I only shed a tear with clannad.
Different thongs make different people sad.

I can see you

Apr 12, 2014 8:25 PM

Jan 2014
I think it's lucky if people can cry over an anime, they have more emotional experience and attachment to the series. I can't do that but I really want to, it always makes me frustrated when I feel like crying but the tears don't want to come out. I just find it hard to cry even if I force myself to.

Apr 12, 2014 8:26 PM

Mar 2013
MasterGlyth said:

Whenever I see a man wearing a thong it makes me sad.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Apr 12, 2014 8:32 PM

Nov 2013
DerpHole said:
MasterGlyth said:

fuck me...
I'll leave it

I can see you

Apr 12, 2014 9:00 PM

Jul 2011
I very rarely cry about something like an anime or manga. Which I feel is odd for me because I tend to be a very weepy person.
Apr 12, 2014 9:05 PM

Nov 2010
daintybiscuit said:
OK complete pussy alert

when naruto is in a truly awesome arc (lets face it, it is truly awesome or totally shitty)
i don't know, a sad situation comes up, and they play that goddamn sad music and i melt like a bitch. pisses me off.
Everyone cries here.
Apr 12, 2014 9:20 PM

Jun 2009
I donno

If people cry when King Kong dies, I don't see why people can't cry for better stories,

I mean seriously, a monster ape died, boohoo.

EDIT:

Personally though, I haven't cried myself, though I wouldn't have minded crying to 3~4 anime scene.

One manga in particular, I felt a bit bad for not crying to it when I read it. It's such a realistic yet emotional piece, and I simply won't tear up.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2014 9:26 PM

Sep 2013
I've never been much of a crybaby, but I can be manipulated into shedding a few tears, although I probably haven't bawled out loud since I was very young. As with any other genre, anime scenes that are emotionally manipulative in the right way can make me cry a little. Overtly emotional melodrama of the type that is done so amazingly well in Maria-sama ga Miteru can blast right through my usual hard-headed cynicism and make me shed some tears. I actually like it when that happens; for a few precious moments, it makes me lose track of the fact that I am actually a cynical, pessimistic, unpleasant bitch. But when it is over, my cynicism returns, and I go back to hating the world just as much as I always have.

It isn't just anime that can have this effect on me; a good, emotionally manipulative story in any genre can do this. The opera La Boheme reliably gets the tears flowing; I just have to hear a few notes from the sad scene at the end and I melt into a blubbering blob. The novel The Portrait of a Lady, by Henry James, also has a strong effect on me, and the movie Modern Times, Charlie Chaplin's masterpiece, moves me to tears while also making me laugh.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Apr 12, 2014 9:31 PM

Jul 2012
DerpHole said:
MasterGlyth said:

that avatar... now i'm just trying to fuck with you and losing
Apr 12, 2014 10:01 PM

Aug 2012
How can we REALLY cry if our eyes aren't REAL?
Apr 13, 2014 12:43 AM

Apr 2012
Welcome to the club of cold hearted bastards OP!
Best I managed was also getting teary eyed, I never actually cried to anime. Last time I cried to a medium was when I was like 7 or 8 at the ending of Ice Age 1.
I guess some peoples range of emotions are just placed differently. I think mine is heavily placed on the happy/funny side, as I tend to laugh at every little shitty joke in comedy and am really easy to please regarding comedy, but hardly get sad at all. In a way its good as I am constantly happy and hardly sad, but I still feel like a cold hearted bastard.
Apr 13, 2014 12:45 AM

May 2013
I AM A MAN

MEN DONT CRI BBY
Apr 13, 2014 1:01 AM

Apr 2009
Sad is different from tragic.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 13, 2014 1:13 AM

May 2012
Apparently people do. Hell I was called out for not crying.
Apr 13, 2014 1:15 AM

Aug 2013
I've shed tears but not exactly full-on sniffling cry.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 13, 2014 1:20 AM

May 2012
xchee said:
I've shed tears but not exactly full-on sniffling cry.

I call bullshit.
Apr 13, 2014 1:26 AM

Oct 2012
I've never cried for real over an anime. Maybe get a little teary-eyed. Is that crying?

I also very rarely laugh to comedic moments, which is the reason I don't like the comedy genre.
f42f21f24aApr 13, 2014 1:30 AM
Apr 13, 2014 1:26 AM

Mar 2014
hmm.. i don't really watch much sad anime so.. so far, the only anime that made me cry was also DBZ when it ended XD i had to run to my room so no one would see.

but i think people who really get into the anime would cry if something really sad happens, especially to their favorite characters. i've never watched the ones you mentioned but maybe you were just less emotionally attached to the characters than the others, for some reason. that you couldn't relate to them, for example. that's why they received less sympathy from you and you didn't become emotional... or something.
“Almost all Japanese animation is produced with hardly any basis taken from observing real people, you know.” - Hayao Miyazaki
Apr 13, 2014 1:28 AM

Nov 2013
Though, I did cry for Clannad and Angel beats !. I don't go around admitting it. ( Kinda ashamed about it). But those are not the only ones I've cried for. Maybe it's because I cry easily.
Apr 13, 2014 1:29 AM

Dec 2012
Yeah, I legit cried watching Angel beats, Clannad AS and even in Fate/zero second season
Apr 13, 2014 1:43 AM

Jun 2009
Yes, and quite often too.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 13, 2014 1:50 AM

Sep 2010
I cried like a baby in the last 6 episodes of Clannad After Story. I've shed a tear or two in quite a lot of the anime I've watched. I am emotional. Nothing to be ashamed of LOL
Spring 2014: NANANA WINS ALL.
Check out my blog :) http://castlebell.blogspot.com/
Apr 13, 2014 2:05 AM

Feb 2014
Hmmm.... I didnt cry at Elfen Lied, and at Angel beats, but some other animes got me...
I think one of the few animes that got me really hard was Calnnad, and Cowboy bebop. At some other animes i shed a few tears, and im not really ashamed of it....
Apr 13, 2014 2:12 AM

Jul 2012
To be honest, I've never seen the three anime mentioned in the first post, but if they're supposed to be sad, yeah I'd probably cry over them. I even cry over happy moments in happy anime, I'm a sap.

But I don't think you're cold hearted if you don't cry. Like many other people have said, I think it depends on the person and how dis/connected they feel to whatever they're viewing.

On a side-note, although women do tend to react more emotionally than men, I don't think gender has anything to do with it.
Pages (12) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 8 minutes ago

4 by Rhaelynne »»
19 seconds ago

» Skibidi toilet piece part 2 (the sequel)

Cyborgium - 4 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
4 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 10 hours ago

26 by BerriesSan »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

22 by Rhaelynne »»
6 minutes ago

» What animes/manga where you suprised where made by the same creator?

Lol1268 - Apr 22

21 by bucciest »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.