Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (18) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 » ... Last »
Apr 7, 2014 7:54 AM

Mar 2014
OMG I love it beyond my expectation !!

It's been quite a while to see a show where the MC is a bad-ass !!!
Apr 7, 2014 10:29 AM
Nov 2009
Didn't even know there was a "hype" for this.

I enjoyed this first episode due to the nice fluid animation on the hand to hand combat scene and it looks very promising so I'll continue watching :)
Apr 7, 2014 11:09 AM
Oct 2013
I'll say this the start is going to be pretty slow, the first like 2 vol was basically world building and I guess for people who have enough patience to read a book or something its not so bad as it does have good character build and such. But for avg anime viewer? idk could come off pretty slow until they get out of the first arc and in to the second. But to be honest this series isn't that action heavy which is what was so nice because the action are everywhere lot of build up to the epic action =X

As for the whole implied incest thing, as some one who read all the LN, its not incest Period. Get explained way later but it make sense.

I don't care if it feels implied, you know most of the greatest moments in any story is when something is heavly implied to mislead you than flip it on your head later on.
Apr 7, 2014 11:25 AM

Sep 2009
I was bored throughout the entire thing. The only good thing about it was the OST and the opening. Probably not gonna watch any more.
Apr 7, 2014 11:27 AM

May 2013
Nice animation, everything else was generic LN stuff I have seen a hundred times.
Also, lol at that "We have magic coz science did it" infodump.

Apr 7, 2014 11:42 AM

May 2009
nameskizo said:
Didn't even know there was a "hype" for this.

I enjoyed this first episode due to the nice fluid animation on the hand to hand combat scene and it looks very promising so I'll continue watching :)

I think so too. It's generic anime. First episode is average. Don't really care how bad is writing of LN. MC is ok for me.
Apr 7, 2014 12:01 PM

Oct 2013
Wow the characters are great and I think this anime is the best one for this season or maybe a week friends , too.
Apr 7, 2014 1:02 PM

Jul 2013
interesting stuff indeed. looking forward to how this is going to turn out
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Apr 7, 2014 1:03 PM

Jul 2010
It was okay. Wasn't particularly great, but wasn't bad either.

I just don't find the premise that interesting.
Although, I liked the brotherxsister interaction. We get some romantic hints, but at the same time it's not overly cute and exaggerated like last season, and there seems to be a lot of "dark family past" mixed up into it. ;)
Apr 7, 2014 1:03 PM

Jul 2013
interesting indeed. looking forward to how this will turn out
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Apr 7, 2014 1:32 PM

Dec 2013
What did Tatsuya do when he raised his hand in the minor conflict at the end. Did he delay the gunshot or was he just analyzing the situation?
Apr 7, 2014 1:36 PM
Oct 2013
Anon1409 said:
What did Tatsuya do when he raised his hand in the minor conflict at the end. Did he delay the gunshot or was he just analyzing the situation?

He was going to do something to protect Leo but then stopped coz Erika got there ahead of him. Then when the girl was about to use magic he stopped Miyuki from interfering coz he already read the magic and knew it was harmless.
Apr 7, 2014 2:11 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
So far so good, I picked the LN one month ago (on the third volume now), obviously most of the details are lost, the LN focus alot into Tatsuya thoughs, he is a very clever person, and is contantly analyzing the enviroment around, and from that you get lots of info.
Also the fight scenes are superb, Madhouse ftw!
Apr 7, 2014 2:42 PM

Dec 2013
OP is awesome, and I really enjoy it. At the moment I'm pleased with 1st ep. Can't wait for next one.
Apr 7, 2014 2:43 PM
Apr 2014
Pretty good. I expected a set up episode so I don't mind all the characters introduced. Also, that animation was sooooooooo good. Combat is gonna be real cool in this show
Self Proclaimed Paradigm of Optimism!
Apr 7, 2014 3:32 PM

Nov 2012
Season 2 when?

Also I predict atleast 60k sales, either beating SAO/SnK or coming very close to it in numbers. This is going to be the best ride of 2014.
Apr 7, 2014 4:16 PM

Jun 2009
Naxrrhid said:
Season 2 when?

Also I predict atleast 60k sales, either beating SAO/SnK or coming very close to it in numbers. This is going to be the best ride of 2014.

Think it'll beat Madoka Blu-Ray volume 1? Which had 68k sales?

Seriously though, it's still too early to predict such a number.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2014 5:02 PM
Oct 2007
Can anyone tell me why?

Why is he Tatsuya pretending to be an irregular? Why is he hiding his true capabilities? He was afraid of having Chibata read his aura. He is hiding something and his true skill would of come out if the Student Council did not show up in time he was about to cast a spell. Than to keep from getting dragged in for statements he covers it up as if it was a demonstration.

I asked this in Animesuki forums and now find I HATE that forum! The entire thread is full of nothing but deletes! It's become censor haven! Do not know why anyone discusses anything there anymore. That was the whole damn reason for Spoiler tags!
Apr 7, 2014 5:30 PM

Mar 2012
Lots of oniisama~, infodump, the MC's pretty interesting.
Apr 7, 2014 5:59 PM

Oct 2011
molitar said:
Can anyone tell me why?

Why is he Tatsuya pretending to be an irregular? Why is he hiding his true capabilities? He was afraid of having Chibata read his aura. He is hiding something and his true skill would of come out if the Student Council did not show up in time he was about to cast a spell. Than to keep from getting dragged in for statements he covers it up as if it was a demonstration.

I asked this in Animesuki forums and now find I HATE that forum! The entire thread is full of nothing but deletes! It's become censor haven! Do not know why anyone discusses anything there anymore. That was the whole damn reason for Spoiler tags!

It'll be explained in the anime one way or another. Just be patient.
Apr 7, 2014 6:15 PM

Oct 2013
What are you guys talking about? I will love Miyuki as my imouto any day. I'm not really shipping them but I love how two siblings can have that special kind of bond. This will definitely be interesting and I'm looking forward to it. 4/5 for the first episode.
Apr 7, 2014 6:16 PM
Jan 2014
molitar said:
Can anyone tell me why?

It is not simply that he is pretending to be an irregular, it is partly because how they measure practical skill is in ways that do not fully capture a person's potential as a mage, and Tatsuya is good in ways that is not covered in the practical exams. What things the practical exam miss I won't say, as it will probably be mentioned in episode 2.
besides that, this is something that can be surmised from the first episode but that it seems no one that just watched the anime and had not read the light novels have realized yet, so I will spoil in case I missed why they wouldn't realize it.

Anything more and I would be talking about things that cannot be guessed from first episode and go into real spoiler territory.

edit: making my post more coherent.
edit 2: Also sent you a message with more in-depth spoilers in order to fully explain the situation. Done since thread specifically asks for no spoilers from LN or manga.
SinarBloodApr 7, 2014 9:50 PM
Apr 7, 2014 6:22 PM

Sep 2013
This honestly looks like a good series, just gonna have to wait for more though.
Apr 7, 2014 6:52 PM

Jul 2010
Looks very promising.

Could someone tell me if the relationship between Tatsuya and Miyuki is going to be incestuous? Or do they just share some sort of special bond?
Apr 7, 2014 6:58 PM
Jan 2014
Kalisto said:
Looks very promising.

Could someone tell me if the relationship between Tatsuya and Miyuki is going to be incestuous? Or do they just share some sort of special bond?

Tatsuya only possesses brotherly love for Miyuki, and does not look on her romantically.

Miyuki idolizes Tatsuya for a specific event that happens in the past, and only started calling him onii-sama from that point. I can say that in all 12 light novels currently out no incestuous relations occurred. When you know their past you will understand that they have quite the special but platonic bond. If I give any more info it would be a major spoiler.
SinarBloodApr 7, 2014 7:02 PM
Apr 7, 2014 7:03 PM
Oct 2010
If he's OP I don't even care at this point as long as the fights are animated like the hand to hand stuff. The only things I didn't like were glasses girl and his sister having ridiculously similar names and the incest vibe that was going on, but the show seems quite self aware of this so it's not a big deal.

Also, why do so many of the glasses girls in anime are the ones they give the big tits? lol
Apr 7, 2014 7:05 PM

Jul 2010
SinarBlood said:
Kalisto said:
Looks very promising.

Tatsuya only possesses brotherly love for Miyuki, and does not look on her romantically.

Miyuki idolizes Tatsuya for a specific event that happens in the past, and only started calling him onii-sama from that point. I can say that in all 12 light novels currently out no incestuous relations occurred. When you know their past you will understand that they have quite the special but platonic bond. If I give any more info it would be a major spoiler.

I appreciate the info, thanks!
Apr 7, 2014 7:34 PM
Oct 2013
Good first episode, I can see it setting up for greater things. I have a passing interest in finding out why this thread has over 600 replies already but, I can't really be bothered to read through it all.
I have a tendency to like these sort of shows where you're given time to understand the workings of the setting and you're slowly being led deeper into it. In the vein of Fate/Zero and a lot of Historical anime/manga, as well as western fantasy literature.
Apr 7, 2014 8:54 PM
Dec 2012
Damn so much in the first episode. It definitely hit every check box for what I look for in a show in one episode.
1. good animation
2. good dialogue
3. clearly good action scenes
4. Diverse cast
5. clearly already working towards an overarching plot of some sort imo
6. actually makes me want to go in read the source material. Like I have never been tempted to read an LN before because i'm a visual kinda of guy. That and once I find something I like to read I'll generally finish it in one sitting.

Also I heard there was some sort of special episode that kinda explained whats going on. Because I'm quite interested in the difference between the bloom's, and the weeds since It clearly seems like both groups can use magic, and what Tatsuya power is.
Apr 7, 2014 9:42 PM
Apr 2014
SinarBlood said:
molitar said:
Can anyone tell me why?

It is not simply that he is pretending to be an irregular, it is partly because how they measure practical skill is in ways that do not fully capture a person's potential as a mage, and Tatsuya is good in ways that is not covered in the practical exams. What things the practical exam miss I won't say, as it will probably be mentioned in episode 2.
besides that, this is something that can be surmised from the first episode but that it seems no one that just watched the anime and had not read the light novels have realized yet, so I will spoil in case I missed why they wouldn't realize it.

Anything more and I would be talking about things that cannot be guessed from first episode and go into real spoiler territory.

edit: making my post more coherent.

As im explaining you should watch mahouka for dummies to know more how magic works in this series :) its only has 3 episodes that last for 3 min that explains everything that you dont know about the series. About tatsuya hiding his true abilities it cant be expalin beacause its a huge spoiler but I can say that tatsuya is a irregular because he is not good with magic :) There are two types of magic (I think) Ancient and Modern.
Apr 7, 2014 9:57 PM

Dec 2013
Other than the borderline incest parts decent intro. Really liked the action scene and the animation.
Apr 7, 2014 10:54 PM

Nov 2011
when tatsuya mentioned numbers, what did he mean by that?
Hate Keeps me warm
Apr 7, 2014 11:05 PM
Oct 2010
Gr33ncar said:

Going out on a limb here but the numbers are likely the type of spell they are going to use. Since he saw the number and knew what the girl was going to do.
Apr 7, 2014 11:13 PM
Apr 2014
skudoops said:
Gr33ncar said:

Going out on a limb here but the numbers are likely the type of spell they are going to use. Since he saw the number and knew what the girl was going to do.

They might explain it on the next episode but if not numbers are families that are basically good with magic on the top of that numbers are the ten master clans starting 1-10 like saegusa means seven in some Japanese word xD ( I don't know what Japanese language)
Apr 7, 2014 11:16 PM
Oct 2013
skudoops said:
Gr33ncar said:

I'm pretty sure he said that after hearing the names of the two girls: Saegusa Mayumi (the Student Council Presisdent) and Chiba Erika (the red-haired girl)

no need to spoil anthing ! ^_^
Apr 7, 2014 11:22 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Guns, magic and wincest. Sounds 10/10 already but we'll see.
Apr 7, 2014 11:23 PM
Apr 2014
UltraZulwarn said:
skudoops said:
Gr33ncar said:

I'm pretty sure he said that after hearing the names of the two girls: Saegusa Mayumi (the Student Council Presisdent) and Chiba Erika (the red-haired girl)

no need to spoil anthing ! ^_^

Haha is that even a spoil :) cause I'm pretty sure that in the novel and manga they explain that in the scene where tatsuya meets mayumi right?
Apr 7, 2014 11:31 PM
Jun 2013
the fighting scene was good.

i wish the episode 2 will satisfy those who dont read the manga/LN.

edit: didnt english lol
Apr 7, 2014 11:38 PM

Feb 2014
Only good thing I can say about this is the animation but it's Madhouse, so that's expected....
Will give another ep or 2.
Apr 7, 2014 11:40 PM
Apr 2014
Jackfrost12 said:
Only good thing I can say about this is the animation but it's Madhouse, so that's expected....

Give it three episode because that's the final episode for the enrollment part
Apr 7, 2014 11:44 PM

Apr 2012
Gr33ncar said:

Saegusa/七草(七 = seven) and Chiba/千葉 (千=thousand) carry a number in their names, hence numbers.

I blame the subs for this( I watched the HS one), they should provide translation note there.
Apr 7, 2014 11:51 PM
Oct 2007
As im explaining you should watch mahouka for dummies to know more how magic works in this series :) its only has 3 episodes that last for 3 min that explains everything that you dont know about the series. About tatsuya hiding his true abilities it cant be expalin beacause its a huge spoiler but I can say that tatsuya is a irregular because he is not good with magic :) There are two types of magic (I think) Ancient and Modern.

Thanks after searching for it I found it on Doki and downloading now. I have learned not to expect answers in anime made from Light Novels many times nothing is answered.. Blaz Blue to this day I don't know what I watched as none of the background was explained.

I have learned to expect this in a lot of LN translations. They just do not do Anime right and give the characters thoughts or that. This has the cause that you do not know the character thoughts or emotions which ruins much of the story as it leaves huge gaps often. These Anime's need to have commentaries of the characters at times so things just make sense.
Apr 8, 2014 1:31 AM
Oct 2013

The foreshadowing at the beginning. Oh well. I haven't read all the LNs but I guess its from the flashback volume. The OP/ED or whatever it is just spoiled so much of the story oh well... They just skipped all the explanations, too.

Apr 8, 2014 3:43 AM
May 2013
iFourier said:

The foreshadowing at the beginning. Oh well. I haven't read all the LNs but I guess its from the flashback volume. The OP/ED or whatever it is just spoiled so much of the story oh well... They just skipped all the explanations, too.

WUT.

Apr 8, 2014 4:11 AM

Jul 2013
KillaBlitz said:
Jackfrost12 said:

Nope, that will be the end of Vol 1, not the arc yet. The pace is around 2 chapters per episode so this arc will end in episode 6.

Enrollment Chapter (Vol 1-2) 12 chapters = 6 episodes (1-6)
Nine Schools Competition Chapter (Vol 3-4) 14 chapters = 7 episodes (7-13)
Summer Holiday Chapter (Vol 5) 2 chapters = 2 episodes (14-15)
Yokohama Disturbance Chapter (Vol 6-7) 13 chapters = 7 episodes (16-22)
Reminiscence Chapter (Vol 8) 18 short chapters = 4 episodes (23-26)

The above is the most plausible way this adaptation will go for now imo, unless they can work some magic to compress any of the arcs to be even shorter than mentioned above without having it felt too rushed, which I currently doubt they can.
EasyGo-erApr 8, 2014 4:19 AM

Apr 8, 2014 4:32 AM
Aug 2012
EasyGo-er said:
KillaBlitz said:
Jackfrost12 said:

Nope, that will be the end of Vol 1, not the arc yet. The pace is around 2 chapters per episode so this arc will end in episode 6.

The above is the most plausible way this adaptation will go for now imo, unless they can work some magic to compress any of the arcs to be even shorter than mentioned above without having it felt too rushed, which I currently doubt they can.

Summer Holiday may need to add one more chapter in my opinion.....but OVAs would also work out. Another approach would be to make the Reminiscence Arc into a movie. That will free up some episodes for the other two arcs. Let's see what Madhouse has in store......

Apr 8, 2014 5:03 AM

Jul 2013
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
EasyGo-er said:
KillaBlitz said:
Jackfrost12 said:

Summer Holiday may need to add one more chapter in my opinion.....but OVAs would also work out. Another approach would be to make the Reminiscence Arc into a movie. That will free up some episodes for the other two arcs. Let's see what Madhouse has in store......

By that chapter, did you mean the Memories of Summer chapter? I think it would work better as an OVA since it didn't contribute much to the story.

I think they would want to include the Reminiscence Arc in the first season any way they can to answer all the important questions regarding the siblings or it would be pretty awkward to leave it just like that after the Material Burst scene. This would also give a nice closure to the season while leaving it open to another season since Maya would also appear near the end to indicate a bigger plot in the series. I also think that the last scene from Vol 8 narrated by Miyuki is a perfect spot to end the season with the end showing the present siblings enjoying their peaceful days. :)

Apr 8, 2014 5:15 AM
Oct 2013
Reading volumes 6 and 7 right now. Hope they'll get adapted as well. so epic.
Apr 8, 2014 5:41 AM
Aug 2012
EasyGo-er said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
EasyGo-er said:
KillaBlitz said:
Jackfrost12 said:

By that chapter, did you mean the Memories of Summer chapter? I think it would work better as an OVA since it didn't contribute much to the story.

I think they would want to include the Reminiscence Arc in the first season any way they can to answer all the important questions regarding the siblings or it would be pretty awkward to leave it just like that after the Material Burst scene. This would also give a nice closure to the season while leaving it open to another season since Maya would also appear near the end to indicate a bigger plot in the series. I also think that the last scene from Vol 8 narrated by Miyuki is a perfect spot to end the season with the end showing the present siblings enjoying their peaceful days. :)

I agree with you but my fear is that the other arcs may suffer because of the pacing. Adapting 5 volumes would have the better idea. Well just have too see how they pull it off. The main focus should be given on 9SC and Yokohoma arc.

iFourier said:
Reading volumes 6 and 7 right now. Hope they'll get adapted as well. so epic.

That's something we all agree on............

Apr 8, 2014 6:04 AM

Feb 2014
There are a few youtube impressions on the first episode so far.

Here's two of the best that I watched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLyI8lh7rLM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYKtJ006WvA

AzlanApr 8, 2014 7:24 AM
Pages (18) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

248 by Fortunekeks »»
May 15, 6:20 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2014

248 by otakuweek »»
May 13, 6:42 PM

» Sooo is there incest in this anime ? (may contain spoilers )

Zyro_Plaze - Apr 26

33 by Champiggy »»
May 3, 8:12 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.