Forum Settings
Forums

Light Novel 'Shinmai Maou no Testament' Receives Anime Adaptation

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 19, 2014 10:14 AM

Jan 2008
Nidhoeggr said:

Here we have variety.
I admit three shows are sports series, but they all have a completely different focus.

VARIETY IS GOOD - but tell you something even LN/Manga/Whatever medium can be different as well!

Still, you can blame the people who buy such stuff, blame Japan.
Blame Anime / Manga fans for their stupid taste.

I do so. It helps.
Mar 19, 2014 10:15 AM

Apr 2009
GREW said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Here we have variety.
I admit three shows are sports series, but they all have a completely different focus.

VARIETY IS GOOD - but tell you something even LN/Manga/Whatever medium can be different as well!

Still, you can blame the people who buy such stuff, blame Japan.
Blame Anime / Manga fans for their stupid taste.

I do so. It helps.

If only they would adapt the LN like Zaregoto that people rave on about. I'd love to see more of Kino, Baccano and other series as well!
Adapting the same stuff ten times per season is not why I call variety, though.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Mar 19, 2014 10:18 AM

Sep 2013
rederoin said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Imagine a season without harems, romcoms, LN adaptions, ecchi series, 4girl SoL Seinen 4koma adaptions and edgy action Shounen...

It'd be a horrible season.

This is when anime dies.
Mar 19, 2014 10:18 AM
Dec 2011
Nidhoeggr said:

If only they would adapt the LN like Zaregoto that people rave on about. I'd love to see more of Kino, Baccano and other series as well!
Adapting the same stuff ten times per season is not why I call variety, though.

Oh yes, if only they adapted things you liked.

Isn't this guy reasonable? What a nice guy!
Mar 19, 2014 10:20 AM

Dec 2011
Nidhoeggr said:

if we cut down ecchi romcom LN from ten to let's say one title per season

Ecchi romcom LN... okay let's think of all the series that fill all three of those that started airing in the current season... err... there aren't any.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Mar 19, 2014 10:21 AM

Apr 2009
kuuderes_shadow said:
Nidhoeggr said:

if we cut down ecchi romcom LN from ten to let's say one title per season

Ecchi romcom LN... okay let's think of all the series that fill all three of those that started airing in the current season... err... there aren't any.

Oh come on, this was exaggerated example...
Mar 19, 2014 10:27 AM

Dec 2011
Nidhoeggr said:

Let's go back to autumn then.

We have a fair few there. More than in most other seasons

Strike the Blood... NouCome... YuuShibu... Infinite Stratos...

How the bloody hell do you call this 'generic'? You might not like some of them and that's fine. But they're all wildly different from each other. You couldn't cut any one of them out without significantly reducing the variety of what the season had on offer.

EDIT: removed Machine-Doll from the list as it isn't really a romance.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Mar 19, 2014 10:30 AM
Mar 2010
Nidhoeggr said:

While I understand where you're coming from and I understand your frustrations, whining about it won't do any good. I'm not trying to be rude here, really. I'm telling you a fact. I could whine and whine and whine that only LN romcoms get anime and shoujo romcoms never do but...what would I gain by whining? Absolutely nothing.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Mar 19, 2014 10:33 AM

Nov 2011
Nidhoeggr said:
rederoin said:

It'd be a horrible season if we would cut out 75% of all anime.

A lot of those shows are Day-time/NHK-e shows, its not like they are trying to get those BD's sold.

Be honest, if we cut down ecchi romcom LN from ten to let's say one title per season: Would you *really* miss the 9 LN that didn't get an adaption? Take this series for example. 95% here have posted that this looks just like most of the series in that genre and that they will pass. Would it really make an impact for you?
And all the otaku can still buy the LN and the discs of the one or two harem LN that would get aired.

Ecchi harems are not that big of a problem, at worst, they make up 10% of a season.

But a season that cuts outs the remaining 65-70%+/- that isen't ecchi harems?

it'd cute down my
hype for spring by a lot. A season without Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?, M3, Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san, Akuma no Riddle, Escha & Logy no Atelier, Soul Eater Not! and Love Live! 2nd season. Almost makes it seem pointless.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Mar 19, 2014 10:38 AM

Aug 2008
phoenixalia said:
Nidhoeggr said:

If this hypothetical season would be Spring we'd have:
Abarenbou Kishi!! Matsutarou (sumo manga from the creator of Ashita no Joe),
Baby Steps (Praised sports manga),
Captain Earth (BONES mecha with star Driver staff),
Fairy Tail,
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders (both non-edgy Shounen with huge followings),
Mahou Shoujo Taisen (Gainax original show),
Mushishi S2 (one of the imho best anime of all times),
Ping Pong (Yuasa directing an adaption from the Tekkonkinkreet mangaka),
Sidonia no Kishi (Nihei manga adaption) and a lot of other stuff I can't remember right now.

Most of these shows will probably flop though...

I'm not questioning their quality or anything but these kind of anime don't sell usually...

My perfect season would be a season with equal number of shows for men and women. I don't mind the harem, cute girl shows, ecchi, whatever. I just want a season with at least 12-13 shows aimed at girls as well. Or rather, more than being aimed at girls, if more anime were gender balanced, I'd be content.

This is just my opinion and longing though...

Thought I'd wade in: These won't necessarily flop at all. Heck Jojo and Mushishi are getting sequels specifically because the first seasons were very successful. Same with Fairy Tail.
The Cart Driver <-- My awesome anime blog
Mar 19, 2014 10:38 AM

Jun 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
rederoin said:

It'd be a horrible season if we would cut out 75% of all anime.

A lot of those shows are Day-time/NHK-e shows, its not like they are trying to get those BD's sold.

Be honest, if we cut down ecchi romcom LN from ten to let's say one title per season: Would you *really* miss the 9 LN that didn't get an adaption? Take this series for example. 95% here have posted that this looks just like most of the series in that genre and that they will pass. Would it really make an impact for you?
And all the otaku can still buy the LN and the discs of the one or two harem LN that would get aired.

You do know that the people that post in the news thread are a really tiny minority of MAL, right? And that MAL is not the only internet anime community in the west, right? The real big majority of the fans in the west are gonna watch those shows, and they will miss them if they're gone. Just because they don't post here doesn't mean they don't exist.
The only True Ending is the Harem Ending.
Mar 19, 2014 10:39 AM

Apr 2009
kuuderes_shadow said:

Let's go back to autumn then.

We have a fair few there. More than in most other seasons

Strike the Blood... NouCome... YuuShibu... Infinite Stratos...

How the bloody hell do you call this 'generic'? You might not like some of them and that's fine. But they're all wildly different from each other. You couldn't cut any one of them out without significantly reducing the variety of what the season had on offer.

EDIT: removed Machine-Doll from the list as it isn't really a romance.

How the hell is Infinite Stratos NOT like most other harem? :D
Strike the Panty is also not at all outstanding. Shounen, Supernatural, Action... let's see what we have in this season and other recent seasons alone: Noragami, Code;Breaker, Hamatora, Nobunagun on the top of my head.
YuuShibu... I actually had to look that one up because it was so "remarkable". Judging by the amount of users who completed it in comp. and the ratings my initial assumption about this seems to be pretty spot on though.
Noucome.. that one I tried because I was told it was actually a parody. Dropped it pretty fast as well because the tropes of the characters were once again old and tired. That ERABE gimmick was a nice idea, but not really well-executed.
Of course, each of them is a bit different. But with leftovers and the neighbouring seasons taken into consideration they don't stand out all that much. I doubt anybody will remember Strike the Panty in ten years, for example. That's fine, not anything has to be outstanding. But if a series doesn't even stand out when you expand the scope a tiny bit I doubt you'd really lose anything if they weren't there.

Andan210 said:

You do know that the people that post in the news thread are a really tiny minority of MAL, right? And that MAL is not the only internet anime community in the west, right? The real big majority of the fans in the west are gonna watch those shows, and they will miss them if they're gone. Just because they don't post here doesn't mean they don't exist.

How much anime do people watch on average? If we are honest we know that on MAL gather people who are usually way more into anime than the normal watcher. And I have trouble believing that you'd actually miss "remarkable shows" like that YuuShibu thing.. sometimes I feel like people don't even know half of the anime in a season exist.

phoenixalia said:
Nidhoeggr said:

While I understand where you're coming from and I understand your frustrations, whining about it won't do any good. I'm not trying to be rude here, really. I'm telling you a fact. I could whine and whine and whine that only LN romcoms get anime and shoujo romcoms never do but...what would I gain by whining? Absolutely nothing.

True, I guess I might as well just drop this argument right here.
NidhoeggrMar 19, 2014 10:48 AM
Mar 19, 2014 10:41 AM
Apr 2012
I'm always more inclined to give LN adaptions a watch, they rarely let me down and most of my favourite series are based on LNs. The synopsis sold me on it more and more with every line and to top it off it has some gorgeous art. Looking forward to it. Certainly right up my alley.
Mar 19, 2014 10:49 AM

Dec 2011
Nidhoeggr said:

How the hell is Infinite Stratos NOT like most other harem? :D
Strike the Panty is also not at all outstanding. Shounen, Supernatural, Action... let's see what we have in this season and other recent seasons alone: Noragami, Code;Breaker, Hamatora, Nobunagun on the top of my head.
YuuShibu... I actually ahd to look that one up because it was so "remarkable". Judging by the amount of user who completed it in comp. and the ratings my initial assumption about this is pretty spot on.
Noucome.. that one I tried because I was told it was actually a parody. Dropped it pretty fast as well because the tropes of the characters were once again old and tired. That ERABE gimmick was a nice idea, but not really well-executed, though.

Firstly, I was saying THAT season. After all, you were talking about cutting back in specific seasons, right? If you got rid of those series there would be nothing to replace them in THAT season. Otherwise you could say that all sequels are generic because they're the same as their initial season was. You'd probably have more of a point there, actually, which is rather amusing.

With regards to StB, you compare it to 4 manga series that are all more similar to each other than to StB itself. Or the first 3 are, anyway. Nobunagun is nothing like any of them. So well done, you've just demonstrated how generic manga adaptations are. Why do you not rant and whine for all them to be abandoned?

Whether or not something is enjoyable (or indeed whether or not someone drops something) has nothing whatsoever for the vast majority of people with how generic it is. And again, this misses the point. Pupa is in no way generic, yet it is the most dropped series of the current season.

It seems like you're using 'generic' when you mean 'things Nidhoeggr doesn't want to watch'. And almost every single post you make reinforces this.
kuuderes_shadowMar 19, 2014 10:52 AM
Mar 19, 2014 10:53 AM

Feb 2012
Love the art, awesome MC but still I think it is to soon for an anime adaptation.I have a feeling they will ruin the novel with a cheap full of fanservice anime especially while the author tries to improve other aspects of his work like character development,battle action etc.
Mar 19, 2014 10:54 AM

Apr 2009
Sigh... if you can trace back the thread the initial point I made about the seasons was that the composition of the season stays almost the same.
The point about LN adaptions of this kind being too common is a bit different. Obviosuly, not all of these LN will air in the same season but the quantity and quality of certain genres is tiresome overall.
Mar 19, 2014 10:55 AM
Mar 2010
5camp said:

Thought I'd wade in: These won't necessarily flop at all. Heck Jojo and Mushishi are getting sequels specifically because the first seasons were very successful. Same with Fairy Tail.

That's why I said 'most' not 'all'. I knew Jojo would sell well since it's first season sold great too. Mushishi...I'm not so sure. It had it's first season a while back and usually sequels which get adapted after a few years don't do well. Fairy Tail is also popular.

But others like Ping Pong!, Sidonia no Kishi, Baby Steps to name a few from that list, will be lucky to reach 2k I think. Unless they have great bonuses.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Mar 19, 2014 10:55 AM

Sep 2012
tsubasalover said:
Synopsis
"Hey, you said you wanted a little sister, right?"
Nope.
Mar 19, 2014 11:06 AM

Dec 2011
Nidhoeggr said:
I find the quantity and quality of certain genres tiresome overall.

Fixed this for you.
Mar 19, 2014 11:16 AM

Jun 2008
Nothing new x)
But i love cliché stories.
Mar 19, 2014 11:23 AM

Jul 2013
good news can't wait to see the anime version of this LN, i read the manga and i quite enjoy it well this will be something for ecchi, harem fans i wouldnt recommend it to people that dont like those genres
Mar 19, 2014 11:25 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Can all of the meta discussion on what gets adapted and what we would like to see adapted, etc. end here please. This is a topic extraneous to this thread and a moderator will probably need to clean some of it, at least, since it spans a good portion of the 4 pages.
______

Mecasonic said:
tsubasalover said:
Volume 4 ranked eighth in its first week on the Oricon sales charts.
It was actually ranked 20th. The thread you're quoting remove all non-light novel or anime related books from the rankings and merge the Bunko and the non-Bunko sales charts so that's why it ended up at the 8th place in that thread.[/url]
Yes, we're aware that this list is only LN/anime-related and that it comes from the Book50 and Bunko50 charts as we're the ones who compile this list each week :) I can change the wording of this a bit, but the main goal of this sentence was to give a sales reference for users who are interested in these types of things - and those users should know how we compile the data for that thread. Thanks for pointing that out.

Mecasonic said:
tsubasalover said:
Nekosuke Ookuma illustrates the series, along with the light novel of Spring's upcoming anime, Hitsugi no Chaika.
He is not Hitsugi no Chaika's illustrator actually, for some reason someone mistakenly thought he and Namaniku ATK (who's Hitsugi no Chaika actual illustrator) are the same person when they aren't.
Interesting; seems we've got a mistake in our DB then. Thanks for this note, I'll change the post and get the DB entries fixed up as well.
KinetaMar 19, 2014 11:37 AM
Mar 19, 2014 11:46 AM

Sep 2012
Seems rather boring.. Probably wont try. I'm hoping more horror/seinen shows come out :c There aren't many...

I guess the japanese don't like "mature shows!?"
Damn otakus |:
Mar 19, 2014 11:47 AM

Nov 2010
Another anime that most people complain about before it even comes out, but that most of them will still watch week to week for some illogical reason while spending all the days between each episode complaining on forums and insulting people. Solid life and healthy habits right there. It would actually be interesting to check all the negative comments and later on, when the anime starts airing, cross-check to see the percentage of people who complain(ed) but still watch.

Anyway, this will most likely be a pass for me as I wasn't particularly interested by the synopsis.
Mar 19, 2014 11:50 AM

Apr 2009
tsubasalover said:
Synopsis
"Hey, you said you wanted a little sister, right?" First year highschool student, Toujo Basara, was suddenly asked by his father and fell into a state of panic. On top of that, the eccentric father told him he will be getting remarried. He then departed overseas after bringing Basara two beautiful step-sisters. But Mio and Maria's true forms are actually the newbie Demon Lord and a succubus!? Basara was almost entered into a master and servant contract with Mio, but a "reversed" contract was formed by mistake, and Basara is now the master!? Moreover, Basara is being hit by ecchi situation one after another due to the contract, but Mio's life is being pursued by other demon tribes and hero tribes!! The most powerful contractor's desire action drama begins! (Source: MU)

Throw in a few clichés more, and it could turn into an artistic statement.
Mar 19, 2014 11:55 AM
May 2012
Cool, just saw Shinmai Maou no Testament's MAL page a few days ago and now it's getting an Anime adaption, will watch this :3
Mar 19, 2014 11:56 AM
May 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:

Hoppy said:
ranzero said:
is it gonna be another harem with utterly brainless character ?

with so many come and go harem anime nowadays makes me really bored, or probably it's become the main otaku's fetish atm....

not sure if want....

Yeah I'm experiencing the boredom and worse distaste in many of the new ecchi series this year, 2014 is the worst year for this genre to date. Also, the little sister concept needs to take a 1-3 year hiatus for anime adaptations it's getting bad enough that I don't even want anything to do with them anymore.

Same can be said for lolis and cutesy shit and idol stuff that we see so often these days, more so than little sister type but you would probably get butthurt because of that........

Imagine a season without harems, romcoms, LN adaptions, ecchi series, 4girl moe SoL Seinen 4koma adaptions and edgy action Shounen...

That would be.......sad, right???
Mar 19, 2014 12:11 PM

Jun 2010
I'm reading the manga of it but I don't know if I'm gonna watch the anime adaptation. It's too generic and cliche. Maybe I'll watch it if the animation is great. I'll just pretend that the characters are not annoying ;_; We'll see...
Mar 19, 2014 12:31 PM
Nov 2010
This will be a nice one. I was reading the manga not long ago and was satisfied.
Mar 19, 2014 12:34 PM

Aug 2011
""Hey, you said you wanted a little sister, right?" First year highschool student, Toujo Basara, was suddenly asked by his father and fell into a state of panic."

Why would you fall into a state of panic?? I don't?? Is there something wrong with wanting a little sibling is there something fundamentally incorrect here am I missing something.
Mar 19, 2014 12:40 PM

Jul 2012
Strike the Blood II? I'm out, unless it gets good animation.
Mar 19, 2014 12:44 PM
Jul 2012
Synopsis is ruined when it says something about love or something after I finished reading it. Will skip that show.
Mar 19, 2014 1:02 PM
Aug 2011
Nice to see more stellar LN getting adapted. Oh boy I don't know what i'd do without them.
Mar 19, 2014 1:12 PM

Dec 2010
It almost makes me want to tear up when thinking about how this shit will sell more than 10 times as much as actual good shows.
Mar 19, 2014 1:26 PM
Sep 2012
This way expected as it's the typical hero/harem anime, but I am glad that it actually came true. Have been readin the manga from chapter 1 and I think it's pretty amusing.
Mar 19, 2014 1:47 PM

Aug 2012
Expected this coming. It's freaking generic, but enjoyed it nonetheless.
Can't wait for the animated Banishing Shift XD
Mar 19, 2014 1:52 PM

Sep 2011
Idk about everyone else as I have not read the VN but the synopsis makes it sound so different from what it really is (imo). The synopsis makes it seem like it's some incest romcom which to me I don't see at all. I think people should give the manga a shot it's bad as everyone is pointing it out to be imo.

I'm glad it's getting a anime I was hoping it would.
Mar 19, 2014 1:53 PM

Aug 2008
At least main heroine is not a flat, annoying dipshit with mental issues voiced by Rie. It alone makes me want to see the first episode. But I doubt it will be worth going any further.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Mar 19, 2014 1:56 PM

Mar 2012
I can't wait till the anime airs. I been reading the manga an I love Mio as the main character. So I'm hyped about this finally getting an anime. Just hope the graphics aren't stupid.
Mar 19, 2014 2:03 PM

Jan 2013
Antanaru said:
At least main heroine is not a flat, annoying dipshit with mental issues voiced by Rie. It alone makes me want to see the first episode. But I doubt it will be worth going any further.

There was a PV for the light novel recently and I'm fairly certain I heard Kirino's VA from OreImo. Not sure if the VAs will be the same for the anime but I'm already not looking forward after I saw that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuOrK-IAloA
Mar 19, 2014 2:06 PM
Apr 2012
DarkDooM2 said:
It almost makes me want to tear up when thinking about how this shit will sell more than 10 times as much as actual good shows.

What's the future like? I presume you're capable of time travel since you already know this show will be shit.
Mar 19, 2014 2:07 PM

Jul 2010
Antanaru said:

Are you me? agreed 100%
Mar 19, 2014 3:06 PM

Jul 2013
Hm, I'll consider watching it. I'll try reading the LN later..
Mar 19, 2014 3:54 PM

Dec 2010
EighteenSky said:
DarkDooM2 said:

What's the future like? I presume you're capable of time travel since you already know this show will be shit.

It's an adaption of a LN that also has a manga adaption, that's how I know.
Mar 19, 2014 4:03 PM
Apr 2012
According to your list you haven't read the manga adaption nor the LN. You also don't know if the anime will be faithful to the source material. Yet you judge it already without so much as a PV let alone an episode. Right...
Mar 19, 2014 4:05 PM

Jun 2012
This does seem pretty bleh after reading the synopsis.
Mar 19, 2014 4:11 PM

Nov 2013
The manga has sum nice ecchi ;)
Mar 19, 2014 4:24 PM

Dec 2010
EighteenSky said:
According to your list you haven't read the manga adaption nor the LN. You also don't know if the anime will be faithful to the source material. Yet you judge it already without so much as a PV let alone an episode. Right...

..using mal for manga? That's stupid.

I said it'll be shit because that's exactly what the source material is.
Mar 19, 2014 4:43 PM

Mar 2012
I hope someday LN like Gekkou instead that get adapted. Well not that I'm complaining but I'm not expecting much about this. At least I will have my Blade Dance soon.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Mar 19, 2014 4:46 PM

Jul 2013
NeoAnkara said:
I hope someday LN like Gekkou instead that get adapted. Well not that I'm complaining but I'm not expecting much about this. At least I will have my Blade Dance soon.

^This, it would be nice to see some mystery LNs getting animated (Maybe then, Hakomari can get adapted)
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Arknights: Rise From Ember' TV Anime Announced

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

6 by malvarez1 »»
56 minutes ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

19 by BirdyTheMighty »»
3 hours ago

» Q2 2024 Anime & Manga Licenses

Snow - Apr 5

2 by alpha_shadow »»
8 hours ago

» 'Overlord: Sei Oukoku-hen' Movie Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer, Fall 2024 Premiere

Doshigatai - Mar 22

6 by rikazkhan »»
10 hours ago

» 'Tensei shitara Dainana Ouji Datta node, Kimama ni Majutsu wo Kiwamemasu' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Mar 4

1 by AxaraCereb »»
Yesterday, 2:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.