Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 20, 2009 1:02 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Really good episode. It's interesting how episode 3 seems to be the turning point for both this and its predecessor. I expect great things out of the last three episodes.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 19, 2009 9:18 PM

Aug 2008
What an entertaining episode. The twins look like freaks, but I'll withhold judgement until I see them do something evil. I really was expecting to see NoNo in the new Gunbuster, but I guesss that really wouldn't make sense since I'm sure she's supposed to get the titular Diebuster.
Jun 2, 2010 11:00 PM

Apr 2008
I want to struggle Nono, I hate her voice.
Nov 29, 2010 10:21 AM

Jan 2009
Tycho awesome performance. One of best episodes so far.
Feb 6, 2011 2:24 PM

Aug 2010
TuzoAnime said:

WAT HOW DARE YOU

I actually hated Tycho this episode. I wanted Nono to pilot that Buster Machine.
Mar 11, 2011 3:00 AM

Oct 2009
I knew it Tycho who was gonna get that Buster Machine, Nono will probably get the most badass one XD
Mar 17, 2011 9:09 AM

Sep 2009
Well, the childhood regrets story wasn't too original, and I wanted Nono to pilot that machine as well, but the ending made me smile.
Apr 8, 2011 10:58 PM
Mar 2009
Those twins are pretty nightmarish looking.

Lol, Tycho destroys her gunbuster and then gets another one in the same episode. Guess Nono is gonna get the really badass that will display the uber hax.

The ending was seriously LOL. A physically impossibly cold temperature and she does it anyway. Actually, how the hell is that even possible in the first place? Ice requires moisture and well guess what? Outer space doesn't have moisture.

Oh Gainax, defying logic one anime at a time.
May 5, 2011 4:54 PM

May 2010
TuzoAnime said:

Aw dude, Nono's hot; I'd love to "struggle" with her as well.
May 25, 2011 3:36 PM

Apr 2009
LulzWorthy said:
TuzoAnime said:

Aw dude, Nono's hot; I'd love to "struggle" with her as well.

LOL I suppose he meant 'strangle' there first but I could be wrong. I probably ruined the joke already but hey I want to "struggle" with her too! XD

Wow they even got Quatre-Vingt-Dix straight out of the box in a clear plastic holder complete with accessories. :D And it's the first time I've seen a mecha do a magical girl transformation so forgive me. *teary eyed* sniff,sniff...

Ah man, Nono didn't get the Buster Machine but there's still 3 episodes left.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
May 30, 2011 6:21 PM

Aug 2009
I'm really enjoying this so far. This and Gunbuster are starting to become one of my all time favourites.

Looking forward to seeing what Nono will end up piloting.
Aug 10, 2011 2:16 PM

Nov 2009
hah this episode was way better than the first two. it has a purpose after all. nono was actually really great at the end with the earrings and the snowman. partial redemption. this is suchhh at throwback to gunbuster. when tycho challenged nono to a duel or whatever i couldnt help but laugh. jung did it so much better.

well anyway. step 1 for nono's character redemption.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 20, 2011 6:15 AM

Apr 2011
Bad science is bad. -300something is the bottom-most temperature limit. You CAN'T have anything below absolute zero because by that point all heat and motion have stopped. Even atoms stop spinning in their orbits. Spitting out "-10,000,000,000" degrees is just retarded, as it making it snow in space. Any moisture in the void would already be frozen.

Pretty meh episode compared to the first two, I dunno what the rest of you are watching :P The 'turn your tracker off, I challenge you to a duel!" was done much better in the original. Ending was cliche and boring. I hope this series doesn't start going downhill from here.
Mar 19, 2012 3:33 PM

Jan 2012
Blind_Guardian said:
Bad science is bad. -300something is the bottom-most temperature limit. You CAN'T have anything below absolute zero because by that point all heat and motion have stopped. Even atoms stop spinning in their orbits. Spitting out "-10,000,000,000" degrees is just retarded, as it making it snow in space. Any moisture in the void would already be frozen.

Pretty meh episode compared to the first two, I dunno what the rest of you are watching :P The 'turn your tracker off, I challenge you to a duel!" was done much better in the original. Ending was cliche and boring. I hope this series doesn't start going downhill from here.

You're saying that going below absolute zero (-273.15 C) is impossible even after ten thousand years from now?

Hell they even have people with superpower and human-like robot plus people living all over solar system. Not to mention all these robots with ridiculous moves with unknown particles flying everywhere.

strong logic is strong
Sep 7, 2012 4:44 AM

Sep 2012
Not as awesome as the two last episode, but still good.
Jan 30, 2013 2:22 AM

Jul 2008
So Jupiter is a ship now, at least there is continuity. I wonder was that the Exelion...
Feb 26, 2013 8:09 AM

Sep 2008
She didint get to pilot a BM for 3 episodes :<
~_~ !
Apr 25, 2013 10:13 PM

May 2010
Blind_Guardian said:
Bad science is bad. -300something is the bottom-most temperature limit. You CAN'T have anything below absolute zero because by that point all heat and motion have stopped. Even atoms stop spinning in their orbits. Spitting out "-10,000,000,000" degrees is just retarded...

Interestingly enough, you actually CAN have negative temperatures. You can't have absolute zero, but you can still end up with less than that. The reason is because in quantum mechanics temperature is defined as an inverse of change in entropy per change of energy in any given system. In other words, a negative temperature is one where if you add energy, the system actually becomes more ordered. Probably not what the guys at Gainax had in mind though...
“Money can't buy dere”
Oct 2, 2013 10:34 PM

Sep 2012
They do point out in the same breath that such a temperature is against all the known laws of the universe. That's the whole point of the Topless. They do the impossible. See the invisible. Row row fight the powah!

That wasn't intended but I had to follow through once I got started.
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
Nov 17, 2013 8:27 AM
Jun 2009
Lets see: she destroyed a buster machine recklessly, something that must be insanely expensive/difficult to make, given the age of the working ones and the rate of production. She get's no punition and they give a new one to her w/o further thought? WTF?

And somehow there seems to be exactly the same number of topless as there is machines for them to ride... even given the fast obsolescence of the former. How is that?
Dec 27, 2013 4:13 PM

Apr 2012
With all the other TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE MAGIC MISSILE DRESSES I don't think -millions degrees is too far-fetched. Maybe it refers to quarks or other crazy subatomicness, 0 kelvin is so 20th century.

Also, this started with Shostakovich's 5th. Arguments are hereby invalid.
BlackoutingDec 27, 2013 4:19 PM
Feb 28, 2014 2:38 PM
Sep 2013
Haha I knew Nono wouldn't pilot 90 because of it's design. That was a side character mecha unfit for her.

The energy in the presentation of this show is great. Gainax in its good years.
Jul 9, 2014 11:00 AM

May 2012
Pretty lovely episode, the action at the end was great and the little sad backstory was also quite lovely! I did however expected that Nono would be controlling that new gunbuster but well let's see what will happen next!
Jul 9, 2014 5:49 PM

Oct 2013
fucking sick episode
wish nono got the mecha sense its pink but it worked out for the better I suppose
ending was great with the little snowman and the earrings
when they said - one trillion degrees maeks me think of the over-the-topness of TTGL
haha great series so far 3 episodes left hope there as good as these 3
[/quote]
Sep 11, 2014 5:06 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
This was def my favorite episode thus far.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Aug 9, 2015 9:13 AM

Nov 2011
NONO HEALS ALL

The snow scene was great.
If only this show took itself seriously and dumped fanservice aside.

Not even $600 could save it.
Aug 10, 2015 7:44 AM

Jul 2014
That was a great episode.
Seeing Tycho use that impossible freeze beam attack was cool.
Nov 4, 2015 10:43 AM

Feb 2013
Nono deserved the roboto :(

Jul 25, 2016 1:36 PM

Sep 2015
Narratively this series is starting to remind me a lot of FLCL. As with that series this third episode is mostly devoted to expanding on a supporting character. Here we learn about Tycho the pig tailed other female pilot as she has to grapple with her past in order to aid in another big space battle at the end. It was some pretty textbook tsundere characterization, she's angry and hostile but it's because she's sad and insecure! But it worked, it was handled strongly and played on what we already knew about her and the world this series inhabits. I liked the revelation of why she was a self loathing topless. She realized early on with her chronically ill friend there was a limit to just how powerful it made her. And so she became disillusioned. It was a little maudlin but it worked.

I liked Tycho a lot and I hope we see more of her. She's got a fun personality, cute design and is voiced by the incomparable Miyuki Sawashiro in an early role. Considering how grim a lot of Gainax series can end up being (including the original Gunbuster which also focused on a new character in its third episode with more tragic results) it was nice to see her triumphantly beating off the kaijuu at the end in her new buster. Though I'm sure as I enter the back half I'm in for some dark twists and turns ahead.

One of the things that interested me most about this episode was the pivotal part Nono played in the big fight at the end. Though she doesn't ride along with Tycho, she is the one who motivates her to finally activate the Buster. Basically Nono's role in the series and how active she is in it is interesting to me. She seemed like an adorable moe airhead through most of the first two episodes. But the revelation she's a robot and the interest both Nicola, Casio and Dix Neuf have shown in her suggest she's something a little more complicated. I wonder if she really was just single mindedly trying to activate the Buster because she wants to fight with Onee-sama. Or if it was all part of some larger plan to inspire Tycho.

Well with half the series done I'll know before too long. I have a lot of expectations for the next episode. All of them so far (unlike Gunbuster) have featured pretty awesome mech fights. But Episode 4 of Gunbuster stands as the real turning point of the series, that set the template for all Gainax series to come (well most). I'm excited to see how Diebuster's own 4th installment will stack up.
Sep 17, 2016 12:32 PM

Feb 2015
Do not like Tycho, please show less of her.
Dec 1, 2016 3:51 PM

Aug 2014
Ah, I'm always in bliss when I hear Maaya Sakamoto and Miyuki Sawashiro on the same show.

Not even going to bother trying to remember the names of all of these new characters.

Lol, so let me get this straight :
Nono = Noriko
Lal'C = Kazumi
Tycho = Jung
Nicolas = Coach

Once again, Nono is acting as the voice of reason in this episode, I'm liking her more and more with as time goes by. She deserved that Buster Machine imo.
And everybody keeps referring to her as "robot", no idea what they mean by that.
KashKetchumDec 1, 2016 3:59 PM
Mar 20, 2017 12:16 AM

Jul 2013
Nice explosion but the writing is just blaa,blaa,blaa and the fanservice is off putting.
Nov 10, 2018 11:32 AM
Oct 2017
It lacks the hype of the prequel. The writing and the story aren't really going anywhere as of now.
Kuruwin said:
Nice explosion but the writing is just blaa,blaa,blaa and the fanservice is off putting.
Kuruwin said:
And I agree this feels like the fan service is just there cause "boobies" cause why not.
Jan 21, 2019 3:00 AM

Nov 2011
Negative temperature is in fact can also be deduced from 2nd law of classical thermodynamics..
The equation is dS=dQ/T, so if addition of energy mean reduction of entropy then that means T as temperature is negative right ? No, that is not how to read that equation..

What we usually mean by temperature is particles motion itself, zero means particles stop moving..
And in this episode we saw that Tycho freezed space monsters.. They really should say that they reached zero temperature instead ...

This anime is not bad, but it doesn't feel like the original Gunbuster.. Science is Gunbuster is quite legit.. Or it is only because they are live in the really far future, that they found out how wrong our science is, I don't know..
Jim_HeartJan 21, 2019 3:14 AM
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jun 6, 2019 11:26 PM

Sep 2013
Tycho's angst really got on my nerves this episode.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Mar 25, 2020 9:07 PM

Jun 2015
Negative one trillion temperature? Science, hello? Never mind, it's Gainax
Apr 20, 2022 6:05 PM

Dec 2018
first decent episode, still want to know where the creatures are coming from if they feed off of stars most of the stars were btfo in the first series
Dec 21, 2023 10:53 PM

Jun 2021
I can't imagine space battles in the future with mechas like this, imagine living in 2848 in middle of a planetarian war with billions of deaths and that mechas looking like power rangers with lgbtq+ colors and the crazy shit because our generation of engineers are otaku as fuck and they inspirated that future generations in creating gurren lagann in real life.
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH

More topics from this board

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MK - Aug 12, 2008

147 by Jacktwelve17 »»
Jan 5, 9:45 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 5 Discussion

Veethorn - May 15, 2010

27 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:50 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 4 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Sep 19, 2009

48 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 22, 2023 4:00 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 2 Discussion

naikou - Sep 30, 2008

46 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 20, 2023 5:08 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

56 by OneMoreFinal »»
Nov 20, 2023 10:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.