Forum Settings
Forums

Are any battle shounen anime worthy of the title 'masterpiece'?

New
Which Battle Shounen is a masterpiece?
One Piece
18.9%
Naruto (Shippuden included)
11.4%
Bleach
2.8%
Fairy Tail
3.4%
Katekyo Hitman Reborn
1.1%
Hunter x Hunter 2011
30.3%
Dragon Ball Z
8.0%
Hokuto no Ken
1.2%
Yu Yu Hakusho
6.4%
None
16.4%
760 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (31) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Feb 18, 2014 3:43 PM

Jan 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
HxH & FMA are the only ones worthy.

And JoJo.

And I wonder if we could count SnK in this?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 18, 2014 3:44 PM

Apr 2013
judals said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

And JoJo.

Can these be considered battle shounen?
Feb 18, 2014 3:45 PM

Jan 2014
They got superpowers, people biting their hands luffy/naruto style for "large" effect.
And they got battles.
And shonen.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 18, 2014 3:46 PM

Sep 2012
I think the point of the thread is to contemplate which is the best long running one though..
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Feb 18, 2014 3:50 PM

Apr 2011
Other : Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
Feb 18, 2014 3:52 PM

Sep 2013
Kenshin is the closest to a masterpiece for me. It's not quite up there, though. Every other shounen is way too childish in some way for me to consider them masterpieces.

I haven't seen HxH though.
Feb 18, 2014 3:55 PM

Feb 2013
Hunter x Hunter and One Piece if it keeps getting better. Bleach and Fairy Tail aren't even close and I can't say anything about the others.
Feb 18, 2014 4:00 PM

Jun 2012
IKKIsama said:
Other : Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
Less than 100 episodes = Not worthy.
Feb 18, 2014 4:03 PM

Feb 2010
judals said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

And JoJo.

We can include Jojo, fair enough. SnK wasn't good enough though, imo.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 18, 2014 4:09 PM

Jun 2011
Forgetfulness said:
No love for Reborn!? :c

Come on, even Fairy Tail and Bleach have at least 3 votes :/

How about we vote for it? But you first. :)

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
SnK wasn't good enough though, imo.

Indeed, imo.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 18, 2014 4:09 PM

Jan 2013
Watch:

Yu Yu Hakusho
JJBA (2012)

Read:

Toriko
Project ARMS
JJBA
Salmon is delicious.
Feb 18, 2014 4:10 PM

Jun 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
judals said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

And JoJo.

We can include Jojo, fair enough. SnK wasn't good enough though, imo.

It's still got some time to show itself but for now, I agree. Despite that I'm still a fan.

Feb 18, 2014 4:11 PM

Sep 2011
DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho.
Feb 18, 2014 4:34 PM

Oct 2013
I'll say hxh and yu yu hackushoo. Where the fuck is attack on titan? Its doesn't drag out its fight like other shonens. 1 episode a fight and that's it.full metal alchemist and ruroni kenshin should be on the list. The op is on crack. reborn doesn't even have a vote lol fail...
Feb 18, 2014 4:39 PM
Mar 2013
keragamming said:
I'll say hxh and yu yu hackushoo. Where the fuck is attack on titan? Its doesn't drag out its fight like other shonens. 1 episode a fight and that's it.full metal alchemist and ruroni kenshin should be on the list. The op is on crack. reborn doesn't even have a vote lol fail...
shingeki no kyojin isn't a long-running battle shounen
Feb 18, 2014 4:41 PM

Apr 2013
keragamming said:
Its doesn't drag out its fight like other shonens.

that's cute
an egomaniac and a fool

Feb 18, 2014 4:46 PM

Jul 2013
HxH perfect story,no bullshit romance, logical fights, no useless filler/fanservice characters, people actually are able to die,the godly animation of madhouse and the best "super power" system i have ever seen in a shonen to date.
Feb 18, 2014 4:51 PM

Sep 2008
Absolutely Yu Yu Hakusho

Ragna the Bloodedge...YOU'RE STUPID!!! ~Noel Vermillion (>^.^)>
Feb 18, 2014 4:56 PM

Dec 2013
I just realized something, is Fist of the North Star even shonen? I think its miss labeled on MAL. Its rated R-17+ for gosh sakes, and not only that, if the tone is anything like the Movie that doesn't match Shonen either.
Love and Peace!!!
Feb 18, 2014 4:58 PM

Nov 2010
Thund3r1 said:
I just realized something, is Fist of the North Star even shonen? I think its miss labeled on MAL. Its rated R-17+ for gosh sakes, and not only that, if the tone is anything like the Movie that doesn't match Shonen either.
It was published in Shonen Jump so it's a shounen.
Feb 18, 2014 5:00 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
From the poll options: One Piece.

tsudecimo said:
Kitsu-nee said:

For anime I'll go with Naruto, it may be getting worse, but still is enjoyable, got used to it and it's plotholes after so many years of watching it, I guess.

What plot holes?

I'll give you two:
Feb 18, 2014 5:03 PM

Aug 2013
I don't really think so. The only one that could be considered this is Dragon Ball Z. Though the selling factor was that it was testosterone filled, even the dubs theme song was just to make 12 year olds excited.
moonkingdomifyFeb 18, 2014 5:06 PM
"Canaan. You're a victim whose past was taken away by war. And she's a defeated person who lost her past in a power struggle. Soldiers who are born within destruction take hatred as their weapon. Even though you and her became soldiers for the same reason, you both live differently. Listen Canaan, you cannot counter hatred with hatred... ever." -Siam, Canaan
Feb 18, 2014 5:43 PM

Dec 2012
BatoKusanagi said:

tsudecimo said:
Kitsu-nee said:

For anime I'll go with Naruto, it may be getting worse, but still is enjoyable, got used to it and it's plotholes after so many years of watching it, I guess.

What plot holes?

I'll give you two:

What?
Feb 18, 2014 5:51 PM

Dec 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Thund3r1 said:
It was published in Shonen Jump so it's a shounen.

Wow, I forgot that the Japanese have no problem including an unlimited level of violence in anime targeted for tweens and teens.
Love and Peace!!!
Feb 18, 2014 6:30 PM

Aug 2010
From the ones in the poll Hunter x Hunter
Feb 18, 2014 6:46 PM
Sep 2013
Hunter x Hunter (2011) followed by FMAB followed by JJBA. And how are the last two not in the poll?
Feb 18, 2014 6:54 PM

Jan 2014
One Piece.. No Fullmetal Alchemist?
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Feb 18, 2014 7:04 PM

Dec 2013
I think if you want to judge a show with some degree of objectivity its important to take into consideration that we are talking about shonen here. "A Tale of Two Cities" is considered a masterpiece and so is "The Lorax" but it wouldn't be fair or make sense to judge "The Lorax" and "A Tale of Two Cities" by the same standards.

That being said, I think the ultimate downfall of battle shonen anime is the length. It seems like even series that start out really good start to fall apart due to an over abundance of filler, slow pacing, or the author running out of ideas, or the show becoming too repetitive.

The anime I consider to be Masterpieces are usually under 100 episodes. I have yet to see an anime series that beats this curse/ challenge.

Actually, the more I think about it maybe DBZ is a masterpiece? At least for its time, maybe it was super ground breaking. I mean a lot of us now consider it pretty trite simple and overly repetitive, but maybe its because its been copied off of so much since it came out (I'm lookin at you Yu Yu Hakusho!). I'd like to hear what people think about this, I don't think seen an anime series older than DBZ.
Love and Peace!!!
Feb 18, 2014 7:09 PM

Dec 2013
Cresherhsm said:
Hunter x Hunter (2011) followed by FMAB followed by JJBA. And how are the last two not in the poll?

People, read the first post! the person who started the thread specified that he's talking about long running series. I really don't think you can call any show less than 100 episodes "long running"
Love and Peace!!!
Feb 18, 2014 7:18 PM

Nov 2010
i like dragonball over Z any day... but to say it's a masterpiece? not realy, no...

as for bleach and naruto the story is realy draggin on (more so in bleach) DBZ just dragged on the episodes (5 minuits in the anime took 3 seasons or something)

i kind of grew out of the constant find stronger opponent and get stronger yourself, find stronger opponent, ... where the hell where those strong opponents at the start? :D
Feb 18, 2014 7:21 PM
Jul 2018
Despite all it's faults, I consider DBZ to be a masterpiece. I can re-watch the fights as many times as I want, only to be satisfied that they still deliver.
Feb 18, 2014 7:23 PM

Feb 2014
Thund3r1 said:
I think if you want to judge a show with some degree of objectivity its important to take into consideration that we are talking about shonen here. "A Tale of Two Cities" is considered a masterpiece and so is "The Lorax" but it wouldn't be fair or make sense to judge "The Lorax" and "A Tale of Two Cities" by the same standards.

That being said, I think the ultimate downfall of battle shonen anime is the length. It seems like even series that start out really good start to fall apart due to an over abundance of filler, slow pacing, or the author running out of ideas, or the show becoming too repetitive.

The anime I consider to be Masterpieces are usually under 100 episodes. I have yet to see an anime series that beats this curse/ challenge.

Actually, the more I think about it maybe DBZ is a masterpiece? At least for its time, maybe it was super ground breaking. I mean a lot of us now consider it pretty trite simple and overly repetitive, but maybe its because its been copied off of so much since it came out (I'm lookin at you Yu Yu Hakusho!). I'd like to hear what people think about this, I don't think seen an anime series older than DBZ.

It's a mixed bag for me.. I think DBZ Kai is better but I felt some of the fillers added to the story I the original.. You're right most shonens get repetitive after awhile.. To me the Frieza(Namek) Saga was just great all around it should've ended there.. But he made the Android/Cell Saga which some say was better and that could've been a good ending but Toriyama pushed himself and made the Buu Saga and it ended up bad.. It had potential but it wasn't well executed and it was messy..

A lot of anime gets inspired from the series.. But in terms of repetiveness Hunter x Hunter has rarely shown that and that's takes a lot of talent to do that.. Same with FMA... I could call the DB series a masterpiece but I think Hunter x Hunter and FMA are the pinnacle of shonen
Feb 18, 2014 7:25 PM

Feb 2014
kickthebucket said:
i like dragonball over Z any day... but to say it's a masterpiece? not realy, no...

as for bleach and naruto the story is realy draggin on (more so in bleach) DBZ just dragged on the episodes (5 minuits in the anime took 3 seasons or something)

i kind of grew out of the constant find stronger opponent and get stronger yourself, find stronger opponent, ... where the hell where those strong opponents at the start? :D

I'm not catching what you're getting at.. Everyone knows where Frieza/Vegeta/Cell came from as it was explained

Buu on the other hand just seemed to pop out of nowhere
Feb 18, 2014 7:31 PM

May 2010
i only saw 66 episodes of yu yu hakusho sofar but the dark tournament arc was simply fantastic and it wipes it ass with battle shounen like naruto,bleach,fairy tail and probably the others that i didnt see/had no interest to see.

hunter x hunter 2011 is excluded since that shit is on a whole different level. so my vote goes to HxH + YYH because they come closest to being a masterpiece sofar.
KerozinnFeb 18, 2014 7:39 PM
Feb 18, 2014 7:36 PM

Aug 2013
TheGrandSage23 said:
kickthebucket said:

I'm not catching what you're getting at.. Everyone knows where Frieza/Vegeta/Cell came from as it was explained

Buu on the other hand just seemed to pop out of nowhere
Buu was sealed away years ago before Frieza by the East Supreme Kai.
Feb 18, 2014 7:36 PM

Jun 2011
Aylaine said:
Despite all it's faults, I consider DBZ to be a masterpiece. I can re-watch the fights as many times as I want, only to be satisfied that they still deliver.

I can rewatch DBZ as many times as I want to, and not get bored.

Edit: Naruto took the lead and KHR still remains with no vote. ~.~
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 18, 2014 7:37 PM
Sep 2013
Thund3r1 said:
Cresherhsm said:

People, read the first post! the person who started the thread specified that he's talking about long running series. I really don't think you can call any show less than 100 episodes "long running"

Strange, I skimmed it but for some reason I missed out the most important sentence in bold. Lol.
Feb 18, 2014 7:54 PM
Nov 2010
Naruto and masterpiece in the same sentence? And it's winning the poll???!!

None of them are masterpieces, but Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is the best battle shonen I've seen.
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
Feb 18, 2014 7:57 PM

Sep 2012
Only One Piece gets close to it, and it's still not a masterpiece.
Feb 18, 2014 7:58 PM

Jul 2012
alot of us are saying HxH (my vote as well)

its been so fantastic i'm scared it will fall off and suffer the same fate as (sometimes good, often bad) Naruto.

i am fucking cheering for this series and i hope it doesn't disappoint!
Feb 18, 2014 7:59 PM

Sep 2010
It's either HxH, Fist of the North Star, Dragon Ball Z, or Yu Yu Hakusho.
Feb 18, 2014 8:15 PM
Aug 2011
Hi, I would like to change my vote to Reborn just so that it won't be at 0.
Feb 18, 2014 8:50 PM

Dec 2012
parfaited said:
Hi, I would like to change my vote to Reborn just so that it won't be at 0.

Me too..
Feb 18, 2014 8:55 PM

Jan 2013
None. Battle shonen in the end is just a cheap imitation of super hero comic books.

Batman: The animated series tools all these cheap knockoffs.

Comic books vs the mangas is just an even worse stomp. Allen Moore >anything & everything every Japanese shonen mangaka has or could ever write.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Feb 18, 2014 8:59 PM
Sep 2013
MajinSaga said:
None. Battle shonen in the end is just a cheap imitation of super hero comic books.

Batman: The animated series tools all these cheap knockoffs.

Comic books vs the mangas is just an even worse stomp. Allen Moore >anything & everything every Japanese shonen mangaka has or could ever write.

Agreed. Well done sir.
Feb 18, 2014 8:59 PM

Aug 2013
I gave KHR my vote, it was depressing seeing it not have any votes (And it's the only manga on this poll that I have completed, although the ending is disappointing). But if you had to ask me which one I think is a masterpiece, I can't really decide since a lot of these series haven't finished yet, so none for me at the moment.

Also since you are looking for long-running battle shounen (At least 100 episodes), how about adding Inyuasha, Zatch Bell, D-Grayman, Saint Seya, or MÄR (I bet a lot of you don't know what the hell this is) to the list.
Feb 18, 2014 9:08 PM

Dec 2012
In opinion, 2:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Kurokami

Most battle shounen are lacking some of criteria for 10 however, and thus I can't rate them as such.
KruszerFeb 19, 2014 2:46 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 18, 2014 9:11 PM

Jan 2014
StefanHere said:
HxH perfect story,no bullshit romance, logical fights, no useless filler/fanservice characters, people actually are able to die,the godly animation of madhouse and the best "super power" system i have ever seen in a shonen to date.

And they still have better romance than most anime still
Feb 18, 2014 9:27 PM

Jan 2014
If we're talking about anime, then none of them. Manga? One Piece.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (31) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - Yesterday

6 by LenRea »»
1 minute ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream? ( 1 2 )

BroDa2545 - Apr 16

56 by Gensouori »»
1 minute ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime ( 1 2 )

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

56 by LenRea »»
3 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Apr 25

74 by epidemia78 »»
7 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

61 by LenRea »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.