Forum Settings
Forums

will the Scott Pilgrim anime be added to the database?

New
Pages (16) « First ... « 13 14 [15] 16 »
Dec 18, 2023 6:33 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to LegendaryRQA
@Klonoa7H At this point, pointing out hypocrisies with obscure or even high profile entries doesn't seem to matter because their decision isn't made on logic. You can't logic someone out of a position they didn't logic their way into.
@LegendaryRQA i guess the admins just do not want retroactive laws or rules
Dec 18, 2023 5:35 PM
Mar 2020
Reply to ParagonXXI
Joey(the anime man) made a video about it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXqAoH2RAh4
@ParagonXXI

I think the main reason this is still an ongoing debate and no conclusion is reached yet, is because the two popular YouTubers who covered this, are either misinformed, or not good at what they do. The first is Joey Anime Man, who seems like a fine guy, but his videos are low effort and have very little research.

Only other notable YouTuber to cover this, is Geoff (Mother's Basement) who literally filled his video with outright lies.

Proof:
NickLucarioDec 18, 2023 11:14 PM
Dec 18, 2023 6:45 PM
May 2020
Reply to NickLucario
@ParagonXXI

I think the main reason this is still an ongoing debate and no conclusion is reached yet, is because the two popular YouTubers who covered this, are either misinformed, or not good at what they do. The first is Joey Anime Man, who seems like a fine guy, but his videos are low effort and have very little research.

Only other notable YouTuber to cover this, is Geoff (Mother's Basement) who literally filled his video with outright lies.

Proof:
@NickLucario

Nah, they're right, it just takes a little bit of time to get that they don't have a real reason to not include it, just look the thread and you will find an admin saying that is something about home release lol
NekozillaMaruDec 18, 2023 6:50 PM
Dec 18, 2023 7:26 PM

Oct 2014
Reply to NickLucario
@ParagonXXI

Proof:
NickLucario said:

Really? Could you give some direct examples of the lies he's said? Do you have evidence that contradicts his claims?
Message me for Fate/ information
Dec 18, 2023 11:13 PM
Mar 2020
Reply to LegendaryRQA
NickLucario said:

Really? Could you give some direct examples of the lies he's said? Do you have evidence that contradicts his claims?
@LegendaryRQA the video I linked is me explaining all the parts of his video where he is spreading misinformation. I suppose it was uncharitable of me to say “lie”, well I mean functionally they are lies, but the more accurate thing is that he just didn’t research things that well so that’s why the facts in the video are wrong.

Just to clarify: I believe Scott pilgrim is an anime. As I say in the video. I just was mad he got the studios wrong for about 50% of the shows he talks about. He discusses the XMen American cartoon and says its by TMS (and even if he meant to refer to the X-men anime show, he got the studio completely wrong cause Madhouse did it),
He says TMNT was animated by TMS (what?)
And he also is misinformed about French animation, despite bringing it up constantly, he didn’t seem to research it.
Again my video goes over most of this.

I assumed I had to come in strong, cause I’ve never used MAL forums before. But I came off as a jerk. I’m sorry.
Dec 19, 2023 6:45 AM

Aug 2012
Sharing cause relevant.

Dec 22, 2023 11:32 AM
Jun 2007
So, what's the status of this show on AniDB? Is it still looked into?

Can't believe MAL is STILL not adding this anime to this site. It should be abundantly clear at this point that it is, in fact, anime.
I get why they were hesitant at first, before the show aired - they had every right to be suspicious whether this was anime or "Netflix anime" where they market some of their shows as anime (Like Castlevania or Blood of Zeus) even though it's at best stretching the definition...
But the evidence speaks for itself.
Dec 22, 2023 11:37 AM

Oct 2014
Reply to Shadow_Master_T
So, what's the status of this show on AniDB? Is it still looked into?

Can't believe MAL is STILL not adding this anime to this site. It should be abundantly clear at this point that it is, in fact, anime.
I get why they were hesitant at first, before the show aired - they had every right to be suspicious whether this was anime or "Netflix anime" where they market some of their shows as anime (Like Castlevania or Blood of Zeus) even though it's at best stretching the definition...
But the evidence speaks for itself.
@Shadow_Master_T

The discussion should have ended when it was found out that Science SARU handed the entire production.
Dec 22, 2023 11:42 AM
Jun 2007
Reply to LegendaryRQA
@Shadow_Master_T

The discussion should have ended when it was found out that Science SARU handed the entire production.
@LegendaryRQA I think there was room for suspicion even at that point, before knowing the entirety of Science SARU's involvement, whether they were heavily involved in this or simply outsourced.

That discussion's conclusion was clear before the first episode aired, because the staff credit roll was leaked beforehand and it was so overwhelmingly Japanese industry that even calling it a co-production does it injustice.
Dec 22, 2023 12:44 PM
Jul 2018
Reply to Shadow_Master_T
@LegendaryRQA I think there was room for suspicion even at that point, before knowing the entirety of Science SARU's involvement, whether they were heavily involved in this or simply outsourced.

That discussion's conclusion was clear before the first episode aired, because the staff credit roll was leaked beforehand and it was so overwhelmingly Japanese industry that even calling it a co-production does it injustice.
@Shadow_Master_T After seeing the credits, the things that make the difference are production translator, script translator and Japanese dub translator. Usually for anime, Japanese production studios have a say at those important things at least.

Nowhere near the level of let's say for example collaboration between Jean Chalopin, Bernard Deyriès and Mitsuru Kaneko in Mysterious Cities of Gold.
It was the latter who proposed to adapt the project, acquired the rights for the book by Scott O Dell and picked an animation team and Studio Pierrot for the production. He was also the one who approached the two Frenchmen to propose the project.
To get financial aid, he signed with CTL (a subsidiary of RTL Luxembourg) and DIC (Chalopin's company). The rights were split 49 for the French and 51 for the Japanese, while in Ulysses 31 it was the opposite. Helped by two Japanese script writers, Chalopin and Kaneko wrote and adapted the entire story, while Deyriès took care of the graphics department with the futurist designs and the solar energy utilisation. Divergence of opinions led to 2 different versions of the series, with some different scenes between the two versions and also different OST, the French version opting for a more adventurous music track. The French version ended being the more successful one.

Dec 22, 2023 5:05 PM
Nov 2020
considering the fact that SARU produced it, it was marketed as an anime, majority staff were japanese, AND stuff like edgerunners/afro samurai/porter robinson + good morning mvs are accepted here, I don't understand how this is anything but cope
Dec 22, 2023 6:00 PM
May 2020
Reply to Radologs
considering the fact that SARU produced it, it was marketed as an anime, majority staff were japanese, AND stuff like edgerunners/afro samurai/porter robinson + good morning mvs are accepted here, I don't understand how this is anything but cope
@Radologs

yeah that's what we're all saying but apparently they don't care to give a good service
Dec 22, 2023 8:06 PM

Oct 2014
Reply to Radologs
@Radologs

Cope is a good way to describe this attitude.
Dec 23, 2023 9:28 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Reply to Romar
Sharing cause relevant.

@Plaintiff
Good video, thank you for sharing!
Dec 24, 2023 12:09 AM

Oct 2020
It's not really an anime or anything is it??
julie 🐑˳⁺⊹
Dec 24, 2023 12:40 AM
Nov 2023
It think this is why they denied it:
YoshiYogurt said:
@mixerblaze The only explanation is that they are following the lead of aniDB, which certain torrent sites are also following aniDB's stance. So nothing will change until aniDB has it unfortunately.

AniDB is older and has a much larger database than MAL so for gray area cases like this they just follow AniDB's decision. This is also why you have to add a AniDB ID when submitting a new anime/manga on MAL.

If anyone wants this anime added here, I suggest you make a post on the AniDB forum first: https://anidb.net/forum/21/thread
Mister_KayDec 24, 2023 5:19 PM
Dec 25, 2023 11:20 PM

Oct 2014
Reply to Mister_Kay
It think this is why they denied it:
YoshiYogurt said:
@mixerblaze The only explanation is that they are following the lead of aniDB, which certain torrent sites are also following aniDB's stance. So nothing will change until aniDB has it unfortunately.

AniDB is older and has a much larger database than MAL so for gray area cases like this they just follow AniDB's decision. This is also why you have to add a AniDB ID when submitting a new anime/manga on MAL.

If anyone wants this anime added here, I suggest you make a post on the AniDB forum first: https://anidb.net/forum/21/thread
@ThisIsNotATest Do you think that's really the reason? I think it's probably a matter of pride at this point
Dec 28, 2023 6:59 AM

Jan 2012
Well, they denied it once again using the same arguments that were debunked in this thread many times already. Heck, I even made a post in the DB thread, hoping someone would actually read it. Turns out no one did.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?goto=post&topicid=1510673&id=70326684

Dec 28, 2023 11:23 AM

Oct 2014
People keep saying that the English Language Dub is the original, but is there any proof to that? The animation matches the Japanese better imo.
Dec 28, 2023 1:45 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to Romar
Sharing cause relevant.

@Plaintiff
While this video is interesting I don't quite agree that limited animation and "mouth flaps" are a trait that separates anime from American animation. On this point he pretty much only focuses on 90s American TV animation and ignores all TV animation from before and after that era. Where limited animation and the "mouth flap" technique, as he so professionally calls it, was also used up until the late 80s due to budgetary and time constraints, these constraints were less of a concern in the 90s and early 2000s when the US was experiencing both an economic boom and an influx of interest in more "serious" animation. These limitations did return after the 2008 economic collapse and since much TV animation is again limited animation where precise lip-syncing, lots of frames, and detailed artwork is much less of a concern. All you have to do is look at things like MLP:FiM or anything that has aired on cartoon network in the past 15 years to see what I mean.
KristiwazhereDec 28, 2023 3:15 PM
Dec 28, 2023 4:44 PM

Sep 2009
Hm. Now we have unannounced PV/CM/TV Specials types in the DB. Is this a sign of change? *sniff sniff*
I wonder why they do it, maybe to compete with a certain someone that have SPTO?

(still no TV Shorts lol)
Dec 28, 2023 5:12 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to Romar
Sharing cause relevant.

@Plaintiff

Simulcast Day 1 in Japan
Star-studded japanese voice actor cast
Animated by a prominent anime studio
Anime studio allowed to do whatever
Marketed in japan

MAL: "Hmm this doesn't seem like anime"
Dec 28, 2023 5:21 PM

Oct 2014
Reply to Cacti_Finder
@Plaintiff

Simulcast Day 1 in Japan
Star-studded japanese voice actor cast
Marketed in japan

MAL: "Hmm this doesn't seem like anime"
Cacti_Finder said:

Really, these are the only ones wich matter if we're being serious.
Dec 28, 2023 5:28 PM

Jun 2020
Reply to Kristiwazhere
@Plaintiff
While this video is interesting I don't quite agree that limited animation and "mouth flaps" are a trait that separates anime from American animation. On this point he pretty much only focuses on 90s American TV animation and ignores all TV animation from before and after that era. Where limited animation and the "mouth flap" technique, as he so professionally calls it, was also used up until the late 80s due to budgetary and time constraints, these constraints were less of a concern in the 90s and early 2000s when the US was experiencing both an economic boom and an influx of interest in more "serious" animation. These limitations did return after the 2008 economic collapse and since much TV animation is again limited animation where precise lip-syncing, lots of frames, and detailed artwork is much less of a concern. All you have to do is look at things like MLP:FiM or anything that has aired on cartoon network in the past 15 years to see what I mean.
@Kristiwazhere American TV shows still has the mouth flap limited animation going on, only the really high budget stuff bothers to do it, and even then its a case by case situation...and that could also be said for Japanese works. Its not like Japanese animation is all just strictly limited flap animation, they have and still do produce quality mouth flap animation when they can. Pinning it as a unique stylistic choice to Japan is just not true, STEVEM and his sources are wrong with this point.

"Don't let your memes be dreams."- Ancient Japanese proverb, probably
Dec 28, 2023 5:36 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to LegendaryRQA
Cacti_Finder said:

Really, these are the only ones wich matter if we're being serious.
@LegendaryRQA True but I just wanted to hammer in the point.

Also it can't even be style thing, as there is stuff on MAL that doesn't look like stereotypical anime, but it is considered anime.

Like:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/33430/Oscars_Oasis

Dec 28, 2023 6:15 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to Technopunk
@Kristiwazhere American TV shows still has the mouth flap limited animation going on, only the really high budget stuff bothers to do it, and even then its a case by case situation...and that could also be said for Japanese works. Its not like Japanese animation is all just strictly limited flap animation, they have and still do produce quality mouth flap animation when they can. Pinning it as a unique stylistic choice to Japan is just not true, STEVEM and his sources are wrong with this point.
@Technopunk
Really it wasn't the mouth flap stuff that bothered me the most, but the whole thing about limited animation in general. He only referenced a very specific era of American animation and completely ignored the fact that American TV animation was basically built on limited animation, to the point that many of the techniques were invented by American studios. Also that once the economic boom of the 90s was over there has since been a massive return to limited animation. He cherry picked a very specific era of American TV animation, one that has already long since passed and based his flimsy argument entirely on it.
Dec 28, 2023 6:23 PM

Jun 2020
Reply to Kristiwazhere
@Technopunk
Really it wasn't the mouth flap stuff that bothered me the most, but the whole thing about limited animation in general. He only referenced a very specific era of American animation and completely ignored the fact that American TV animation was basically built on limited animation, to the point that many of the techniques were invented by American studios. Also that once the economic boom of the 90s was over there has since been a massive return to limited animation. He cherry picked a very specific era of American TV animation, one that has already long since passed and based his flimsy argument entirely on it.
@Kristiwazhere Even the 90s was not perfect, there are many examples of limited animation from the 90s to counter his argument. Most of the time, just like in Japanese TV shows, smooth animation is saved for the important scenes, while the rest gets cost saving measures. Even Batman the animated series he uses for examples was not smooth butter through its entire run. As you said, we could cherry pick moments for an argument, but that would be disingenuous, especially in the case of such broad statements as "all of American animation" or "all of Japanese animation".

"Don't let your memes be dreams."- Ancient Japanese proverb, probably
Dec 28, 2023 8:26 PM
May 2020
Reply to Cacti_Finder
@LegendaryRQA True but I just wanted to hammer in the point.

Also it can't even be style thing, as there is stuff on MAL that doesn't look like stereotypical anime, but it is considered anime.

Like:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/33430/Oscars_Oasis

@Cacti_Finder

wtf i didn't knew this was in the site lmao
Dec 29, 2023 4:02 PM

Oct 2014
Pokemon Concierge is on here, which i agree with. But why is this on here and not Scott Pilgrim?
Dec 29, 2023 5:49 PM
Dec 2023
Boku No Daemon is a similar case: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2132077

Though it already has an AniDB and ANN entry, but I understand it's in a gray area also. Since the criteria is based off how Japanese a production is, I just don't get why Chinese and Korean productions with no Japanese involvement whatsoever are allowed?
Dec 30, 2023 4:44 AM

Nov 2011
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D.I.C.E. D.I.C.E was originally recorded and aired in English first and is on the database.
Dec 30, 2023 8:15 PM

Oct 2014
Reply to Klonoa7H
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D.I.C.E. D.I.C.E was originally recorded and aired in English first and is on the database.
@Klonoa7H You should really compile all of those into a list
Dec 31, 2023 6:43 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to Klonoa7H
@Klonoa7H I am going to agree with @LegendaryRQA in that you should keep a list of this stuff. Makes it a lot easier to keep track of where these arbitrary lines in the sand are being drawn.
Jan 3, 10:31 PM

May 2014
add this shit already
Jan 4, 12:18 PM

Oct 2014
Reply to ChokeMe
add this shit already
@ChokeMe Seconded
Jan 9, 1:57 AM

Jul 2014
If Afro Samurai and Shelter have a place on the MAL DB, SPTO deserves a spot too.
Take care of yourself

Jan 9, 5:06 AM

Jan 2012
Newtype published two interviews with series creators.

Abel Gongora:
https://webnewtype.com/report/staff/entry-28004.html

Shuuhei Handa and Masamichi Ishiyama:
https://webnewtype.com/report/staff/entry-28005.html

Lots of settei in the second one.
Jan 10, 2:15 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to ukloim
Newtype published two interviews with series creators.

Abel Gongora:
https://webnewtype.com/report/staff/entry-28004.html

Shuuhei Handa and Masamichi Ishiyama:
https://webnewtype.com/report/staff/entry-28005.html

Lots of settei in the second one.
@ukloim To summarize from the two articles:

• They knew from the start this was an anime adaptation of the Scott Pilgrim work.
  • They were originally expecting to redo the same story, but the creator wanted to tell a new version.
  • They asked the creator what their input was during the creative process, at best it was color corrections to characters outfits and to stick to the early 2010s era for the setting.
  • Originally they went with more realistic designs for the characters, but decided later to use the comic as a basis for the artstyle. Specifically a mix of volumes 2 and 3. In addition to wanting to preserve small artistic details from the source material.
  • The creative process never had a slow response time for the western and japanese sides.
  • It is recommended watching it in both english and in japanese to get different performances from the voice cast.
Jan 12, 10:08 PM

Oct 2014
It seems pretty cut and dry to me that it should be on MAL.
Jan 16, 9:21 PM

Oct 2014
Bump~
Jan 20, 6:00 PM

Nov 2015
What’s this doing on mal? It’s for a western audience.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/56285/Ninja_Kamui

HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jan 20, 8:35 PM
Mar 2015
I liked the original SP.
Jan 20, 11:24 PM

Aug 2017
Reply to Old_School_Akira

https://myanimelist.net/anime/56285/Ninja_Kamui

Old_School_Akira said:

It's not approved. Maybe it won't ever be, just like SP.
Feb 12, 5:22 PM

Nov 2015
Reply to St0rmblade
Old_School_Akira said:

It's not approved. Maybe it won't ever be, just like SP.
@St0rmblade they added it now.

They should add Scott Pilgrim if Ninja Kamui is allowed here.
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Mar 17, 7:41 AM

Jan 2012
Scott Pilgrim's entry on AniDB has been granted and will soon be added to their database.

https://anidb.net/admin/creq/17805731

MAL should follow.
Mar 17, 7:02 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to LegendaryRQA
Pokemon Concierge is on here, which i agree with. But why is this on here and not Scott Pilgrim?
@LegendaryRQA Whats your point, exactly? While I wouldn't mind seeing that Scott Pilgrim animation in MAL Anime Database, I don't see a reason to bring up Pokémon Concierge to the convo whether Scott Pilgrim: Takes Off is an anime eligible to be in the MAL database, or not. Pokémon Concierge is a stop-motion anime based on Japanese franchise, created by a studio from Japan; despite having sever dubbed versions to choose from, Japanese version is the original one. As I remember, in SPTO's case, the main arguments were: 1) that Scott Pilgrim is a Western franchise and is not dedicated mostly for the Japanese market; 2) that not all, or vast majority, of core members of the staff are Japanese. Whether one agrees with it or not, Pokémon Concierge didn't generate that kind of doubts or questions.
Mar 17, 7:03 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to ukloim
Scott Pilgrim's entry on AniDB has been granted and will soon be added to their database.

MAL should follow.
@ukloim Perhaps it will be added to MAL Anime Database now, after SPTO jas been recognized as an anime by the AniDB.
Apr 1, 12:20 PM

Oct 2014
Reply to ukloim

MAL should follow.
@ukloim Does it actually work like that?
Apr 2, 5:27 AM

Nov 2013
Reply to LegendaryRQA
@ukloim Does it actually work like that?
@LegendaryRQA
It doesn't.

1) AniDB and MAL are separate database with slightly different rules and "it's approved on the other database" is not taken into consideration

2) That link is for an entry that wasn't approved yet on AniDB and is the same as a pending unapproved entry on MAL (though AniDB has a better system in that you can have a discussion directly under the pending entry regarding the acceptance or not).
You all need to watch Nami.

Apr 2, 6:09 AM

Jan 2012
Reply to abystoma2
@LegendaryRQA
It doesn't.

1) AniDB and MAL are separate database with slightly different rules and "it's approved on the other database" is not taken into consideration

2) That link is for an entry that wasn't approved yet on AniDB and is the same as a pending unapproved entry on MAL (though AniDB has a better system in that you can have a discussion directly under the pending entry regarding the acceptance or not).
abystoma2 said:

It will be approved 100%, just waiting for the owner of the creq to do it.
Pages (16) « First ... « 13 14 [15] 16 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

734 by fluffycow17 »»
10 hours ago

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8796 by JohnnyNumbuh28 »»
Yesterday, 3:15 AM

» Seperate entries for robotech and macross

princefaking - Jun 12

2 by abystoma2 »»
Jun 25, 2:26 PM

» Flame of Recca Streaming Platforms

gayboiash - Jun 25

0 by gayboiash »»
Jun 25, 12:52 AM

» Why is Blue Eye Samurai not on MAL? ( 1 2 )

-DxP- - Dec 1, 2023

56 by Supahz »»
Jun 24, 5:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.