Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jun 18, 2009 12:36 AM

Nov 2007
trekemonster said:
It looked like to me like Kuma saved their asses. I'm kind of glad he made Luffy disappear as well.

Agreed. I think Kuma's trying to help them, so I didn't feel that sad in this episode.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Jun 18, 2009 4:34 AM

Mar 2008
Oh god that was painful to watch! TT__TT
It was great but so so sad episode. Luffy's desperation was just... I almost cried ;___; Ugh I know these kind of moments are necessary but I just don't like them. They make me feel sad and depressed >.<
Jun 18, 2009 4:31 PM

Apr 2008
Sentoumaru said: "Whoever gets touched by Kuma's pads will be sent flying for 3 days & 3 nights".

The Strawhats will LIVE on!!!!!!!!!!

Epic episode.
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Jun 18, 2009 7:16 PM

Apr 2008
serious episode is fucking epic.
Jun 18, 2009 10:48 PM

Dec 2008
my eyes are leaking.
and its getting in the way of actually watching this episode.

aaahhh~ wtf fillers
Jun 19, 2009 3:19 AM

Jun 2009
It was so awesome everyone just vanishing one after another it was torture at its finest first physically drain victim to near breaking then one by one take away everything that is precious to them and finally when they have nothing left destroy your victim that’s what happened here.

And now we get to watch fillers :-( I guess this is a good spot for the fillers but I dislike them, I saw one filler but I didn’t like it so I just skip the fillers now.
peace be to all :-)
Jun 21, 2009 11:13 AM

Feb 2009
Great episode and i thought i wouldnt cry because i have known that that will happen cause of the Manga, but man it was extremely moving. btw was that the first time Ruffy cried for real(not something like that were lysop got back to his crew at water seven)
It was really emotional of him were he was in despair. I was really moved by that and couldnt stop my tears flowing down.
Jun 21, 2009 1:40 PM

Jun 2008
Damn fillers, like that period when Robin yelled "I want to live!".
But at least this time it's fillers with a new story yeeeeey *forced happiness*

They left us with a serious cliffhanger, I can't wait to see what happens next and I believe that Kuma is helping them somehow, based on the fact that he whispered something to the Dark King.
Was disturbing to see Luffy like that, I am used to him being always straightforward and sure of himself, but I guess that his biggest fear just happened in front of his eyes
Ahh and too tempted to read the manga now :S
//“The third time is for what will be. The way back will come but once. Be steadfast.”
Jun 23, 2009 7:25 AM

Jun 2007
Lol yes, they should have just rushed trough it, instead of giving it the time and attention a groundbreaking scene like this deserves. This episode was perfectly executed, and those flashbacks were in good taste. We've seen the strawhats for more then 400 episodes, now all of the sudden they get raped like this. It NEEDS to be done in a slow, more dramatic pace such as this, if you want a real impact.
Jun 23, 2009 10:03 AM

Jun 2008
mulderman said:
Lol yes, they should have just rushed trough it, instead of giving it the time and attention a groundbreaking scene like this deserves. This episode was perfectly executed, and those flashbacks were in good taste. We've seen the strawhats for more then 400 episodes, now all of the sudden they get raped like this. It NEEDS to be done in a slow, more dramatic pace such as this, if you want a real impact.

Agree completely :)
//“The third time is for what will be. The way back will come but once. Be steadfast.”
Jun 23, 2009 8:00 PM

Apr 2009
mulderman said:
Agreed.

Not to mention, It's 10 years since the anime started and we get something like this - 12 years since the manga.
Can't imagine how I would feel watching/reading a show/manga for a decade and not feel something from a moment like this - but I do know how it feels to have been watching it for 5-6 years and read for 4 - yet I still cried when I first read it and felt tears coming on this episode.

The only actual complaint I have on this episode is the 4:3 flashbacks.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
_Ghost_Nov 4, 2015 4:09 AM
Jun 26, 2009 12:30 PM
Jun 2008
and here my day was progressing very pleasantly

I shouldn't have watched this ep, kinda ruined my day

great epic episode though:P
Jun 26, 2009 8:46 PM

Aug 2008
One of the best use of flashbacks I've seen in any anime...
Jun 27, 2009 5:16 AM
Mar 2008
Crap. When they showed the flashback of Usopp begging to become nakama again I was laughing my ass off - and crying hard - at the same friggin time. In retrospect, I must've sounded pretty silly, but damn this episode hit me hard.

kisami said:

clearly he sent them somewhere. hopefully not separated.

I guess you're in for quite the shock. But why? Because they end up together, or because they stay separated? hmm....

_Ghost_Nov 4, 2015 4:14 AM
Jun 30, 2009 3:30 AM

May 2008
I just can't say a thing. When Zoro disappeared I started crying and I couldn't stop. This episode was frightening especially when Nami sais 'Help me' and when Luffy tries to catch Robin's hand. And then Luffy completely broke... it was hard to see how he cries and hit his own head to the ground.

And I've just catched up to the series... I'm really happy there are filler episodes cuz I have to rest a bit after such an emotionfull arc.
Jun 30, 2009 6:10 AM

Oct 2008
I was all fine throughout this awesome episode, until Luffy started crying and the stupid flashbacks of everyone. Then I started crying. It's just so sad, because Luffy has NEVER really cried like that and it showed how much he cared. Some nice filler should lighten up the mood, but I hope they get back to give some answers!
Aug 13, 2009 4:30 AM
May 2007
now about the actual episode: I really liked it, both the execution (for the most part) and the fact that for once they actually had to face the consequences of their captain's total carelessness. they got into that sticky stuation mainly because Luffy just had to beat the crap out of that celestial dragon bastard (although we all wanted to) and get an admiral on their tail, but that's also the reason why we love Luffy so damn much. the situation as a whole was a good wake-up call for both them and us. it reminds them that they aren't going to be protected by miracles forever.

I was kinda puzzled by their reactions to Kuma's actions. even after Sentoumaru told them, quite clearly, that those who are blown away aren't killed, none of them seemed to realize that Kuma arriving and sending them flying to kingdom come was the best thing that could have possibly happened to them, as they were all completely exhausted and facing a sumo wrestler that neither Luffy nor monstrous Chopper could even touch and a brand new doomsday weapon. as things were, they had a better chance of getting Gold Roger back from the dead to talk things out with Kizaru than of winning or managing to escape. the only thing I don't understand is Kuma's motives: why would "the tyrant" Bartholomew Kuma, the only Shichibukai that actually obeys the government turn his back on it all of a sudden, just to help some pirate crew to which he had no emotions? about what he whispered to rayleigh, it was probably something like "I'm going to save their asses now, so play along" and possibly his reasons. it also fits with Rayleigh's reaction.

the tension and dramatic elements in this episode were outstanding. they could have done a better job on the emotional part though. I've ranked this episode 4 out of 5 cause I know seen this show to be capable of more than that.

_Ghost_Nov 4, 2015 4:10 AM
Nov 5, 2009 8:36 AM
Mar 2008
sayami said:
...especially when Nami sais 'Help me' ...

more like "Help m-". Just had to watch that ep again. I still laughed and cried when usopp was begging, hehe *cry*
Nov 7, 2009 7:13 PM
Mar 2008
Awesomeness.
MUST SEE NEXT EPISODE ;_;
Nov 9, 2009 1:57 PM

Apr 2009
guys check this amv >_>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RraCyBkn9XE&feature=related

its perfect ...
Nov 14, 2009 5:50 PM

May 2008
....wow
Nov 28, 2009 10:19 AM

Nov 2009
oops i reacted bit too well to this ep. ;..; anyways well done. also the fillers. it was hard to see luffy shouting. :(
Dec 21, 2009 7:55 PM

Sep 2008
Very tired of emo protagonists, Kuma's plot was pretty obvious just from watching so watching this didn't make me feel sad one bit.

3/5
Feb 26, 2010 12:52 PM

Mar 2007
Well it would be MY perfect ending to this show. But ofc it isnt so i guess we'll be forever watching this show

_Ghost_Nov 4, 2015 4:11 AM

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Apr 13, 2010 3:43 AM

Oct 2008
Damn this is a state of Luffy that I haven't seen before. I feel so sorry for him. ><
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Apr 18, 2010 4:08 AM

May 2008
Awww man , what did Kuma whispered to that old man

Awesome Sig by Lailide
May 10, 2010 7:20 AM

Nov 2007
ahahaha loved the way brook said his last words
May 24, 2010 9:33 AM

Feb 2009
This was really powerful... One Piece is now officially my favorite anime ever.

I can't believe how could they bring so much emotion into this arc, it was mindblowing, there's no other adjective, well I'm gonna jump the filler for now, and continue with the story (these fillers with boss luffy are actually quite funny, I'll watch them later).
Aug 25, 2010 9:58 AM

Jun 2010
See if Kuma hadnt whispered whatever he did to Rayleigh id be more bothered, but I cant help but feel this is some bigger plan, but still why would Kuma go through the trouble, some big clue here is missing, too bad we have no idea what was whispered.
Nov 3, 2010 10:39 PM
Nov 2010
animefan82 said:
Crap. When they showed the flashback of Usopp begging to become nakama again I was laughing my ass off - and crying hard - at the same friggin time. In retrospect, I must've sounded pretty silly, but damn this episode hit me hard.

ro said:

emotional ep damn poor luffy cant wait 2 weeks new arc impel down starts. damn i wonder wats going to happened?

you skipped an arc. Impel Down arc starts after the next one.

kisami said:

clearly he sent them somewhere. hopefully not separated.

I guess you're in for quite the shock. But why? Because they end up together, or because they stay separated? hmm....
can someone tell me what happens now, is this episode the end of the crew or is there another episode that picks up where they left off, cuz 406 has no relation to what happend in 405, so can someone explain to me the situation?

_Ghost_Nov 4, 2015 4:11 AM
Nov 4, 2010 3:09 AM

Apr 2009
^406 and 407 are fillers
start from 408.. or 409 i forgot already
Apr 12, 2011 8:25 AM

Jan 2011
Eikichi_Onizuka said:
woot! great episode! hadn't cried on a One Piece episode for quite a time!
smokes said:
Eikichi_Onizuka said:
woot! great episode! hadn't cried on a One Piece episode for quite a time!

+1.
epic episode.

interesting what Kuda told to that old man ...

+1
I never cried for OP like this before! From the very start, when Zoro was gone, my emotions flew out (especially for Zoro). The flashback was sad, with the music too. And also when Luffy cried... I cried more T__T
I hate fillers, though x(

Waaaaaa~! T__T

Apr 13, 2011 2:36 AM

Jul 2007
I just have to make some comments on this episode and this arc as a whole.

First of all this has to be one of the most dramatic episodes in the whole series. No scratch that. This IS the most dramatic episode in the entire series. Truly a heart breaking moment and one that will completely change the show from here on. This is one for the history books. The utter complete defeat of the straw hats. Something we probably never would of expected to happen. Those who don't read the manga of course.

Although this was a very heartbreaking moment, like i predicted back in the thriller bark arc. I was actually correct and im glad i was. Kuma's motives were actually not to destroy the crew. But to actually save them from these enemies. He knew this was an overwhelming situation for the straw hats and if they progressed any further. Eventually the marine HQ would of probably killed them. Considering there adventure led them directly to the world governments door step. Once luffy broke the taboo on the island, that was is it for them. I love the crew but i honestly don't think they would of been able to overcome such an overwhelming power. Even by if some miracle, they managed to defeat the admiral, it would create war and chaos and the world government would just send some one else. After all, they are right below the holy land of Marijou.

Kuma's action was very surprising but it was pretty clear by the way kuma whispered something into Raylieh's ear and also saving one of the straw hats from a pacifista just in the nick of time by teleporting him away. Sentomaru also revealed that he has the ability to teleport people 2-3 days away. MY GOD. what an ability? I mean seriously? I believe there is something deeper behind his motives though. That is not yet explained. Like the bible he uses i think is a bible of the entire world. He might have the ability to pick which location he can send some one. Even when he stated to luffy, that he will never see his crew mates again. I think that was a lie. To try and make him self look like he is not completely disobeying the world the government. I think he has other ideas in mind for the straw hats, it would be interesting to see where they were sent. He stated that they were far away from each other though so im guessing none of them are close. I guess will have to see later.

Man, what a huge turn of events. I am sure this shocked everyone. I really loved how they used the brooks binks sake song at the end well they were showing all the little flash backs of when luffy met his crew mates. What even makes this more dramatic and just down right upsetting. is the fact that we were just getting to know brook. So there was a few amazing moments with him, which was sad. Cause i loved brooks. To bad, he could of had alot more shining moments in the show. But i guess oda wanted to move the story forward.

I guess from here on the story of one piece is taking a completely different turn and will no longer focus on adventures with the crew, at least for now but rather the upcoming war with the whitebeard pirates and the world government. Watching luffy in such despair and unable to save his comrades was really sad. He truly realizes the horror of this world and finally starts to see that the dream that he wants, the legendary one peice is much further away then he can imagine. His utter defeat probably damaged his ego. I don't think ive ever seen him cry like that before. I wonder how he will recover from this. I guess things are going to get alot more serous now. I wonder how are main protagonist is going to fit into the story now. Things are so unpredictable.

This arc was by far my most favorite arc in all of one piece. It has some of the most deepest mysterious of the show revealed, the new secret weapon of the thousand sunny, duvals shocking appearence, alot of the new characters introduced. The 11 super nova's. Including the "legend" Silvers rayliegh, first mate of gol D roger him self. A new admiral, the mysterious power known as "haki" was finally revealed, that shanks used back at the very start of the show and many more other things that i could write bout. Honestly i could write a full blown 3 page essay on this arc.

One of the most amazing concepts to the history and the story of OP that i found so intriguing was the world government. We already knew the world government and the marines under them were the true villains of the series. But i don't think it was truly realized until after this arc. The horrors of the world government and world nobles, using slavery against all humanity or pirates treating them like mere lap dogs. These guys are the true villains of this show. Make no mistake. Not only by there immeasurable power and ranks, but also there twisted goals of achieving what people say is "justice" in this war torn world. I can only hope that White beards crew annihilates the marines and the fcking world government. I guess those bastards think there safe living way up high on top of the red line looking out over the entire world like some royal gods that command the sea. This really makes me interested in seeing what the coming war will bring.

This is by far one of my favorite arcs in OP shown so far. People may disagree with me of course. But i really think this arc has a high lvl of drama, intensity, emotional conflicts, lots of mysteries revealed, surprising revelations. Also the history and the way the world works through the eyes of the world government. I think these things were some of the strongest aspects shown in the story of one piece thus far and that is why its forever going to remain one of my favorite arcs of the show.

anyways i watched a good 120 episodes now in one sitting. So im not sure if i want to continue. I might just take a small breather for for now.

Its nice to that the next episodes are little more light hearted, given the dramatic intensity of this arc. So we get a little break before things start to heat up again.
ArtimesGamerMay 12, 2011 9:46 AM

May 8, 2011 10:55 AM

Jul 2007
Monad said:
It was nice seeing them losing for once. I was surprised by the reactions of Luffy. He just stood there most of the time. I am wondering what power up they will get after this experience and the reasons behind Kumas actions.
About the last thing Kuma said to Luffy. What is the right one? "You won't see them again" or "We will not be seeing each other again"? Is Yibis wrong?

Ha! Ha! One Piece is over, after the fillers we will have "The adventures of Kuma".

He was confused, this is the first time luffy has seen his crew mates in such danger before his very eyes. He had no idea how to retaliate. It put him in utter shock.
ArtimesGamerMay 12, 2011 9:19 AM

May 13, 2011 7:58 PM

Jun 2009
Well....I'm not sure exactly what to say. The episode was probably one of the most emotionally intense parts of the series, I mean I was pretty much regressed to a crying baby by the time Luffy "disappeared" and god damn I felt his anguish in the very depths of my soul. Damn, that sounded corny.

But, it's very obvious that Kuma is actually "helping" the Straw Hat's in some way. I mean, it's heavily foreshadowed when Kuma whispers something to Rahleigh...so he may of even teleported them back to the Thousand Sunny or something. At least, if I'm right about my earlier hypothesis about what happened to Perona.

Which makes me wonder what in the hell Kuma is up to, it seems he may be a "good guy" in a way. Though this episode did a hell of an attempt in making him SEEM antagonistic, I'm...just not buying it.

This is going to be one hell of a learning experience for Luffy and the others. I hope they don't forget the despair they felt in this situation. Also, this wouldn't have worked nearly as well if the Straw Hat's hadn't been whooping as much ass as they have throughout the series.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 10, 2011 2:01 PM

Jul 2010
I really hated this episode, I never ever wanna see Luffy like that again, never! :(
Jul 4, 2011 10:54 AM

May 2010
There must be a reason to Kuma's action!!?! awww Anyway.. one of the most climatically and emotional episodes!! :-)))) Its unbelieveable that the strawhats were defeated! But it must be for the greater good because they cannot defeat Kizaru in their current state.. The ending with a short flashback and Bink's Sake in the background was soooo touching..
Looks like the arc has come to the end and fillers awaits us next haha..
Aug 4, 2011 2:41 AM

Aug 2010
HOLY FUCK
Aug 13, 2011 12:31 PM

May 2010
I love how anyone who didn't like it is a troll. Come on guys, people are allowed to have different opinions!
“Money can't buy dere”
Feb 2, 2012 7:49 PM

Jan 2012
oh my god luffy completely breaking down and hitting his head repeatedly against the ground was possibly the most horrifying character moment in the series thus far

there are no words and it's one of those sobbing things i've only seen real people do. you can see the weight of his guilt and his responsibilities almost literally crushing him. luffy summarizes it by saying, "what's wrong with me?" which shows what's clearly wrong with him

i cried when i saw that, my favorite characters are never main shounen characters because after hundreds of episodes i get sick of them, but i never got sick of luffy.
May 28, 2012 6:58 PM

Sep 2011
neenalie said:
oh my god luffy completely breaking down and hitting his head repeatedly against the ground was possibly the most horrifying character moment in the series thus far

there are no words and it's one of those sobbing things i've only seen real people do. you can see the weight of his guilt and his responsibilities almost literally crushing him. luffy summarizes it by saying, "what's wrong with me?" which shows what's clearly wrong with him

i cried when i saw that, my favorite characters are never main shounen characters because after hundreds of episodes i get sick of them, but i never got sick of luffy.

AUGHHHWAWAWAWA, well said neenalie. It's hard to watch Luffy be so frustrated and cry like that *clenches heart*. ;______;
Jun 16, 2012 8:11 AM
Nov 2009
Wow, first time Luffy became like that...I can really see him become more motivated to be stronger and protect his nakamas. But seriously damn... Will definitely be a development from here on. GG. I'm just thinking, what if OP ended here lol and new characters were introduced... jk Mugiwaras 4 life
Jul 2, 2012 5:53 AM

Nov 2011
wow, that hit my right in the feels. luffy was distraught.

somewhat disappointed that chopper didn't beat the living heck out of anyone this time. /:

and i /think/ i know what kuma told rayleigh, and i /think/ i know his motives. i guess i'll have to wait and see.

overall, another brilliant episode.
Sep 30, 2012 5:00 PM
May 2012
Grr... now i'm hate a lot Bartholomew Kuma. >:@ What he does makes me mad. >:@

(But this episode has epic, only the flashback and the fight of the crew, when Kuma makes Zoro and Ussop, Nami, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky and Brooke i dislike. >:@)

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
_Ghost_Nov 4, 2015 4:03 AM
Nov 18, 2012 10:54 AM

Mar 2010
Seeing luffy sulk like that didn't sit well with me.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Dec 6, 2012 1:30 AM

Oct 2010
Watching this episode in 2012 is sort of a downer, because you know that 1) the crew members are alive and 2) they will be together sooner than anything. I also think that Kuma is trying to help them. Zoro mentioned in the previous episode that he was saved by Kuma's mercy. What sounds weird for me is that Kizaru accepts his decision so easily. I mean... they were sold. And now they are teleported to some other place. Even if Kuma didn't have good intentions towards the Straw Hats, his intervention has saved them.

One way or the other, a very intense episode. Their despair and horror was flawlessly handled. I have never seen them in this situation. I mean, they have been on the verge of defeat, they have been about to die and sometimes were even defeated, but this feeling that the situation gets out of their hands is something that I don't recall in any episode. They felt completely helpless through the whole thing. And Luffy crying at the end was one of the best scenes in the series. It shows how much is this series about the crew.

The flashback was just the icing in the cake. What an episode, oh damn. And what an arc. Easily one of the most regular of the series, although Arlong and Water7/Enies Lobby hit me a bit harder emotionally.
jal90Dec 6, 2012 1:33 AM
Dec 29, 2012 7:28 PM

Nov 2012
jal90 said:
Watching this episode in 2012 is sort of a downer, because you know that 1) the crew members are alive and 2) they will be together sooner than anything.

Mhmm, and we totally know what's going to happen in the future events.

But man, this episode was just.. wham. The flashbacks had me on the edge of tearing up. Then, seeing Luffy cry like that got me.

Oh hey, everyone's gonna be back together next episode! *cough*
Apr 8, 2013 6:14 AM

Nov 2012
So that's it the anime ends. Good anime though, good ending.
May 7, 2013 3:17 PM

May 2009
So just take my tears already!
May 12, 2013 9:02 PM
Jan 2013
....yeah....I'm still crying......-.-
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1105 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - May 18

58 by Senior-Po »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 440 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Splitter - Feb 27, 2010

95 by bakakisima »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1092 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Jan 27

58 by llamav »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 439 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ninkendo - Feb 20, 2010

91 by bakakisima »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 438 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JusticeGundam - Feb 13, 2010

86 by bakakisima »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.