Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 25, 2009 4:29 PM

Mar 2009
^ Buddha is a great one.
I'm also going to say MW, Ode to Kirihtio, Phoenix, and Astro Boy, which are all underappreciated in America.
Aug 27, 2009 10:54 PM

Feb 2008
I suggest that A, A' should be featured... or heck, anything by Hagio Moto, that woman deserves way more love outside of US.

paigy_loli said:
I would say let's feature "Iron Wok Jan"

Why? Because it's not read by many people and because it should be read. It's no love story at all though, but I still recommend it. I only read 12 volumes so far, (like a year ago) but I still liked it. (it has humor)

It's about a man, named Jan Akiyama. (he is so unexpectly an amazing character I have ever came across) Jan wants to pursuit his dreams of winning everything that involves food. (or cuisine) He is working in a restrurant and has many rival in the cooking world. He fights everyday with the other chief and even though he doesn't own the restrurant, he acts like he does. (By the way he was force to work in the restrurant in the first place.)

This guy can cook some odd food. (I almost threw up reading this one recipe I read in the manga) I still recommend it. That is all I can really say.

I rule agains featuring Iron Wok Jan...

I just finished the whole thing yesterday and it didn't really go anywhere. the food just got weirder, Kirikos breast didn't stop to grow while her waist just got smaller, the characters got zero development, Jan didn't stop being a jerk and it took like 2 volumes to finish the judging of the final tournament while the actual ending got a coverage of like 2 chapter. I am really disappointed at how this turned out. It was pretty entertaining at times but since it didn't develop at all so it kinda felt like a waste reading all 27 volumes.
[fancy signature here]
Oct 18, 2009 3:35 PM

Jun 2008
"Dear my girls" is a shoujo manhwa with an absolutely amazing art. That´s my suggestion^.^
http://myanimelist.net/manga/10356/Dear_My_Girls

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Oct 20, 2009 5:05 PM

Mar 2009
Think I'd like to throw a shout-out for Club 9 and What's Michael?, both by Makoto Kobayashi. Sadly, I can't seem to find either of these online and Dark Horse never even bothered to finish printing volumes 4 and 5 of Club 9 in volumes edition (although they did print them in Super Manga Blast!), and What's Michael? can just be a bitch to find (except volumes 10 and 11, which are fairly easy still). Anyway, I really enjoyed what I got to read of both of these series, hope they get considered!
Oct 24, 2009 8:39 PM

Feb 2008
maybe one month we can do a hidden gem one-shot? If so, I reconmend, "Island"

I also reconmend "Antique Bakery"
Oct 27, 2009 9:17 PM

Mar 2008
I definitely recommend Kimi ni Todoke to be featured, even if it waits in line or for my b-day or valentines or something!!!!
Nov 24, 2009 1:55 PM

Mar 2009
If we're still all over short series and need a seinen to show next, Seizon -Life- should be considered
Nov 29, 2009 4:23 PM

Mar 2009
even though it only has like 500 or 600 people that have read it, watashitachi no shiawase na jikan is amazing. I'd recomend it to anyone really.
Dec 11, 2009 1:59 PM

Mar 2009
How does Kekkaishi have less than 2000 ratings? I nominate this one for feature, if you ask me, it's easily one of the best shonen series this decade.
Dec 28, 2009 4:51 PM

Oct 2008
A good josei series would be "kimi wa petto".
So far it looks like only one Josei series has been featured, plus i really like this series. An woman keeps a younger man as a pet. Kinda sounds like a bad hentai or ecchi series, but its not.

For shounen I'll second whoever suggested Angel Densetsu.
It's a pretty entertaining series for whoever likes shounen type mangas.
Feb 6, 2010 5:04 AM

Dec 2007
There's two I want to put forward:
Memories of Emanon by Shinji Kajio and Kenji Tsuruta
and
Garden by Usamaru Furuya (it's not on MAL yet,but by same mangaka of Music of Marie)
Gremlin's World - School Daze - The Comedies III
Feb 15, 2010 9:54 AM

Dec 2007
How about some of Furuya Usamaru's work? He's the guy behind The Music of Marie and Jisatsu Circle.
However, the two I think we should look at are Plastic Girl and Garden. Very different stories.
Apr 25, 2010 12:10 PM

Jan 2008
its a little bit over 1K but I think it worth much more.(in my top 10) http://myanimelist.net/manga/1595/Vitamin
read online here:
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/vitamin/
and awesome manga with superlative info about martial arts:
http://myanimelist.net/manga/15426/Kenji
read online here:
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/kenji/
Apr 28, 2010 4:17 AM

Jan 2008
http://myanimelist.net/manga/1343/Sexy_Voice_and_Robo
another one with less then 300 member, and less then 100 member who actually read it.
Apr 30, 2010 9:28 PM

Mar 2009
I want to suggest "Living Game" by Mochiru Hoshisato. The manga was read by only 786 people according to myAnimeList.

I will quote wikipedia for a brief introduction to the story:

"Raizo Fuwa is a 25-year-old salaryman living in a cramped home and working in a crowded office in Tokyo. His hopes for improved conditions are dashed when the new office building his company is supposed to move into is condemned as unsafe because the construction company has been cutting corners.

Since the old building is already being demolished, they have no choice but to "temporarily" move the office into Fuwa's new flat. The final complication arrives in the form of the new employee Izumi Hiyama, a high school dropout the boss has promised to take care of as a favour to her family. No landlords are willing to rent to a 15-year-old girl, so she too has to move into Fuwa's home/office....

Both Izumi and Fuwa struggle with their own maturity and very small network of relationships, and the 10-year difference in their age is dismissed as an unimportant factor in their romantic relationship.."

end quotes

It is a romantic comedy, but it also examines the problems of rampant real estate speculation that happened in Japan during the 80s. It's just difficult for ordinary people to find a comfort place to call home in a city like Tokyo (or any major city on the world). In a way the atmosphere of the manga is similar to the very famous "Maison Ikkoku," but it is more light hearted. The manga also has its serious moments. I find the theme is more concrete/focus than Maison Ikkoku.

It has a total of 10 books. Not too long and not too short. There are complete scanlations available...
May 9, 2010 1:19 AM

Oct 2008
Might I suggest Undercurrent, a good, quiet slice of life covering a single woman's life after her husband leaves her with nary a word.

Also, Miriam, a heartwarming Shoujo set in the Wild West.
May 14, 2010 7:01 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
May 15, 2010 9:08 PM

Mar 2009
Seeing how Veritcal just started releasing Twin Spica, perhaps we should feature it to remind everyone to go out and buy their copies and support Vertical for being so awesome to license this amazing series?
Jun 10, 2010 1:42 AM

Dec 2008
http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=18365
I really liked this manga. A lot. But it seems its not very popular.

Later edit:
http://myanimelist.net/manga/20215/Akai_Michi
By the same artist.
Really awesome oneshots. =)
VanillaMoonJun 10, 2010 1:53 AM

Jun 24, 2010 7:23 PM

Feb 2008
I highly reconmend "Ooku: The Inner Chambers".
Here's the synopsis:

In an alternative timeline of feudal Japan, a strange disease that only affects men caused a massive reduction of male population, thus females have to pick up men's jobs, changing the social structure. Now, after 80 years of the initial outbreak and current man:woman ratio of 1:4, Japan has become completely matriarchal, with women holding important political positions and men being their consort. Only the most powerful woman -- head of Tokugawa shogunate -- can keep a harem of handsome yet unproductive men, known as "Ohoku."
Jun 25, 2010 4:47 AM

Mar 2010
I would like to recommend Cesare (http://myanimelist.net/manga/1067/Cesare)

Sypnosis:
Based on exhaustive research in collaboration with a Dante scholar, Souryo brings Cesare Borgia, one of the most enigmatic figures in history, to life in vivid detail. Bookish and naive, Angelo da Canossa is unprepared for life as a student in a university that hums with tension and intrigue in Renaissance Italy. Will his innocence remain intact when a chance encounter with the charismatic Cesare draws him ever deeper into the darker side of the Renaissance? (Source: Manganews.net)

This is best historical manga I have ever read. I think that is really hard to find manga that is purely historical + interesting enough... Well, who isnt interested in infamous family Borgia? Really remarkable.
Jul 5, 2010 9:54 PM

Jul 2010
I just joined this group so I'm not sure if these have been featured as of yet but I figure what the heck right lol
~Immortal Rain
~Fushigi Yuugi: Genbu Kaiden
~Black Bird (i am currently reading it right now and I really like it)

you fear for the things you care for, and you become accustom to it
Jul 9, 2010 6:41 AM

Oct 2008
Can I suggest The Walking Man ? Has a feel very similar to YKK- slow and contemplative feel with the central character enjoying the smaller things in life, and very good art to complete the package.
Jul 20, 2010 3:50 PM
Aug 2009
I'm not sure if this is already mentioned or not, but I really recommend Hakkenden - Touhou Hakken Ibun. It's mysterious and the story is very captivating the more you read along. It's loosely based off of a 19th century epic novel, Nansō Satomi Hakkenden, by Kyokutei Bakin.
Aug 1, 2010 2:23 PM

Mar 2008
I'd like to recommend the following Hakuouki Junrenka

Hakuouki needs more love its such an interesting series. What with how they took a sim dating game, with a historical background. Not only that but giving it a supernatural flare to go with it!

Also another manga I don't hear a lot of raving on would be

Hoshi wa Utau

Its by the same mangaka that created the popular series Fruits Basket. It has a slice of life meets dark sides implemented into it. I find it too needs more attention, for its by far one of the more deserving mangas in my own opinion.
XxThageXxAug 1, 2010 2:28 PM
What you saw at the castle on that windy night ,and what you saw at the bridge last night .. how I smiled, never utter a word to anyone. If you dare speak .. I will find where you are .. And I will kill you. Kill you. I will rip you apart .. crush your bones And eat your flesh.. I will drink your blood. I will .. devour you.

Aug 9, 2010 12:24 AM

Mar 2009
Having finally gotten to finish it, I must once again mention Club 9, which is criminally underlooked if you ask me, and too simply dismissed because the art style is kinda weird, but it's so awesomely charming within the series.
Aug 25, 2010 7:54 PM

Dec 2009
What's about Banana Bread Pudding? :) It presents strange and somewhat surrealistic story, but I really liked this manga.
Sep 17, 2010 1:51 AM

Dec 2007
I was having a look at your relations list and I'm amazed that Ai Ren hasn't made it on to the list yet. I think it's well worth giving this a shot. It's a beautiful story dealing with love, loss and coming to terms with trauma.
Sep 28, 2010 10:25 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
How about Terra e... that has 585 members and was published in English and is a really good look at 70's sci-fi shoujo.

Ode to Kirihito also has similar numbers here on MAL and is a great first look into gekiga and Tezuka.

Heart of Thomas, a paltry 188 members on MAL for such a great title. Another great look at 70's shoujo, and early BL.
Sep 28, 2010 12:32 PM

Sep 2007
Brand said:

Ode to Kirihito also has similar numbers here on MAL and is a great first look into gekiga and Tezuka.

Ode to Kirihito was actually already featured. I still have to read it, it's been on my "Plan to Read" list for some time now. ^^;;;;;

My own suggestion:
Gokusen: It has quite a bit readers (I thought it had less when I mentioned it on the club's comment wall), almost 2000, so I'm not sure whether it is hidden enough to be featured. But I do think it is a gem: Nice blend of slice-of-life and comedy. It may be unrealistic (about the mofia aspects of the story), but it was genuinely inspiring with likable leads. The main heroine really inspires you with her determination, and it's refreshing to see an older female as the lead (albeit she isn't really that old, only 23 at the start of the manga). I also found it pretty entertaining and refreshing that the typical teacher x student scenario was reversed. We get an older female teacher and a younger male student (who thankfully does not play the "feminine" role, don't understand why the "feminine" role even exists...but that's a rant for another day, where he's easily flustered and indecisive and weak. While Shin, the main male lead, is certainly not as strong of a character, both physically and emotionally, as the main female lead, he isn't portrayed as weak and in need of constant help from the "masculine" lead. He's got attitude, he's very intelligent and he does his own thing, often trying to help Kumiko, the female lead, even though he's weaker than her and he knows it). I think most of the characters are well written as well.
Mar 21, 2011 11:52 AM

Aug 2007
I suggest 'Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa' if it hasn't been featured yet. It's genre's are similar to Fukumoto's other works(Drama, psychological with tints of comedy) except minus the gambling.

I just finished it, and had a great time with it. Strong lead character who provides some amusing misunderstands that had good intentions. If any of you guys have enjoyed Kaiji/Akagi, no reason why you wouldn't enjoy Kurosawa.

Mar 25, 2011 11:42 PM
Mar 2011
I suggest Hana no Namae/The Name of the Flower. I don't think it's very well known, so I'd definitely call it a Hidden Gem of manga. It's considered Shojo, but I'd call it Josei if for no other reason than the protagonists are adults.

Hana no namae is about a girl, Chouko, whose parents died in a car crash so she goes to live with a distant relative (third-cousin-once-removed-type thing). The relative is a famous novelist, Mizushima Kei, known for his dark and depressing novels and he has a cold, melancholic attitude as well. He's a loner, hardly ever leaves his house and wears old-style clothing. She doesn't talk for about a year, but working in his garden, she eventually grows out of her depression to become a kind cheerful girl and Kei warms up to her as well (or as much as he warms up to anyone). When she's in collage, Kei and Chouko independently realize they love each other but Kei's intense depression keeps getting in the way of his being happy with her.

It's really good. I suggest it to anyone who likes Slice of Life, Shojo or Josei. It's pretty deep but manages to not be too depressing itself, even though it goes into how depression and dwelling on hard things in life can interfere with finding happiness.
Apr 29, 2011 10:45 AM
May 2007
Mirai Nikki

Great psychological manga with a ton of plot twist. It's about time travel (the best plot device ever) and it just gets better and better with each page. Definitely deserving to be featured.
Apr 29, 2011 7:00 PM

Aug 2008
Really? It's #35 in terms of popularity. Come on now.
May 6, 2011 7:37 PM

Oct 2010
Anyone ever heard of Koujitsusei no Tobira? Sure it's a BL, but I find the art and storytelling very absorbing.

Set in France, it's about a person who suddenly had to take care of his deceased brother's son. But it seems like he had secrets of his own.
Things were unraveled slowly in the early chapters, but the rush went in the middle. This is a mature and elegant story, guess it had similar vibes with est em works. Do give it a try.
Jun 4, 2011 3:22 AM

Sep 2009
shinkeikaku said:
Really? It's #35 in terms of popularity. Come on now.
Ignoring the whole "total fan-pandering crap" thing.
Jun 23, 2011 3:03 PM

Feb 2009
I suggest Aphorism
http://myanimelist.net/manga/11544/Aphorism

I really like this manga, filled with high-school life, friendships, horror and action scenes and a dark atmosphere. would like you to put it in the manga list at the front page of the club :)
Aug 7, 2011 8:23 AM

Jan 2008
I would like to suggest Mr. Fredward's Duck:
http://myanimelist.net/manga/7293/Mr._Fredwards_Duck
I am currently reading it and I love it a lot. It has such a delicate feel to it, similar to Shimizu Reiko's mangas. At first it may seem a little episodic, but later on things start to add up really nice. The subjects it deals with are quite serious too. I stumbled upon it by mere accident I am glad I did.
Sep 15, 2011 11:10 AM

Oct 2009
I'm not sure how hidden is considered to be hidden, but I would like to suggest Battle Angel Alita: http://myanimelist.net/manga/768/Battle_Angel_Alita
It has a unique feel and is one of those series that's really good for lovers of Ghost in the Shell... like GITS, it's philosophical, sci-fi (cause of the robots/cyborgs), and has tons of action & plot development.
-
Sep 16, 2011 10:58 AM

Nov 2007
I guess this is hidden
Valkyrie-Ryu said:
I'm not sure how hidden is considered to be hidden, but I would like to suggest Battle Angel Alita: http://myanimelist.net/manga/768/Battle_Angel_Alita
It has a unique feel and is one of those series that's really good for lovers of Ghost in the Shell... like GITS, it's philosophical, sci-fi (cause of the robots/cyborgs), and has tons of action & plot development.

This is already on the list its one of the pictures on the main page. :)

banana
Sep 16, 2011 11:00 AM

Nov 2007
Sehio Goy's High School
less than 600 members know it
http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=3418

its a shoujo about guys in an all guys school! i think its rare to find good shojo with guys as the main characters. its full of funny moments. romantic encounters with "rare to find women". I find the story very cute and fun to read. :)

banana
Sep 17, 2011 9:47 AM

Feb 2009
I recomend Tom Sawyer. The story is based on Mark Twain's story and the manga is drawn by the mangaka of Saikano. Is'a really short but nevertheless fun read.

Tom Sawyer
Silent89Sep 17, 2011 9:51 AM
Sep 25, 2011 9:58 PM

Feb 2008
for the love of god, why has Ooku: Inner Chambers been featured yet?? So you guys not understand how epic this series is!

just kidding and ranting! but seriously, feature this!
Dec 21, 2011 2:23 AM
Mar 2011
Going to suggest Ilegenes~Kokuyou no Kiseki. I feel like it's pretty unknown. It has great art and an interesting story.
Feb 12, 2012 5:58 AM

Jun 2009
Kore wa Koi no Hanashi (Romance, Shoujo)
It`s very good manga,if you liked Usagi Drop than you will probably like Kore wa Koi no Hanashi.

Feb 15, 2012 5:46 AM

Aug 2011
I suggest Ryuguden, which is a very bizarre and interesting manga I read some time ago. Despite having less than 30 chapters, a lot of different themes are featured (e.g. racism, innocent youth, time travel, prostitution). Contrary to what the art style could suggest, it is a psychological/seinen work with sometimes difficult scenes. Definitely a great discovery for me.
Feb 16, 2012 12:31 PM
Sep 2010
I suggest Global Garden same author of PSME. A fantastic story with a different drawing http://myanimelist.net/manga/1535/Global_Garden
Feb 21, 2012 5:30 PM
Apr 2009
I suggest the manga Ultra Heaven. If you want my exact reasons for why this is a gem, I have written a review for it. I any case, it is an extremely trippy series with superb art and style, and an interesting story. I consider this manga to be revolutionary for how it utilizes panels, something which many people underestimate their value and importance in manga.

Score: 8.271 (scored by 70 users)
Ranked: #388
Popularity: #6046

I think this should show that it really is a gem which has not received the attention it deserves.
Feb 23, 2012 7:49 AM

Apr 2009
I suggest Japan Tengu Party. I realise that this one isn't really everyone's cup of tea, but it really fits the definition of a "hidden gem". The artwork might seem repulsive at first (though it gets better in later chapters), but although Kuroda Iou's drawing skills kind of suck, the guy surely knows how to draw manga, and uses this medium well. Beyond that, Japan Tengu Party has a clever and thought-provoking (as much as I hate to apply such overused description) story that often balances between mundane and surrealistic. JTP is rather short, but has much to tell and is pretty fast-paced, with nothing redunant.
Mar 12, 2012 2:33 AM
Jul 2018
I suggest the manga SOIL.
http://myanimelist.net/manga/7166/Soil
It sets a new standard for mystery manga and it is more well written than the best mystery that Naoki Urasawa has written.

I also suggest Ressentiment.
http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=1238
It is a more realistic, satirical approach to otaku culture with a bit of dark comedy mixed in. It started out slow, much like Hanazawa's other manga. I ended up empathizing with the characters despite the fact that they're kinda disgusting sometimes, but they're human beings at the core who crave companionship and love. Also the ugly caricatures emphasized the unsavory nature of their personalities. Having read some of Kengo Hanazawa's work, I have to say that this is something that he likes to do in his manga, that is: to reveal our imperfect Human Nature. Also, this manga perfectly talked about Human Desire of wanting to escape reality and escape responsibility, something I am certian that we all want deep down in our minds. And also it dealt with how people will go to extreme measures to complete this desire.
removed-userMar 12, 2012 2:43 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vote for the Hidden Gem of Manga - October 2024

Brand - Sep 15

0 by Brand »»
Sep 15, 9:23 AM

» September 2024 - Flying Witch

Brand - Sep 2

3 by ilias23 »»
Sep 2, 2:18 PM

Sticky: » Suggest a Hidden Gem of the Month! ( 1 2 3 4 )

Brand - May 2, 2017

186 by xxxATiON »»
Aug 12, 9:52 PM

» August 2024 - Helen ESP

Brand - Aug 4

0 by Brand »»
Aug 4, 4:01 PM

Poll: » Vote for the Hidden Gem of Manga - July 2024

Brand - Jun 20

1 by Brand »»
Jun 20, 9:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.