Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 23, 2009 6:14 PM
Mar 2008
It's as the thread title states: suggest a manga series or two that you think should be one of HGM's Featured Series (Bi-Weekly) one of these days.

If you're going to suggest a series to be featured, please state why do you think it deserves to be featured in the club for 2 weeks.

PREVIOUS FEATURED MANGA
- Moon Child (shoujo, fantasy, supernatural, drama, romance)
- Telepathic Wanderers (shounen, supernatural, drama, mature)
- HGM's Best Romance Series winner: Mars (shoujo, romance, drama, psychological)
- Hunter x Hunter (shounen, action, adventure, fantasy)
- Fushigi Yuugi (shoujo, fantasy, adventure, historical, romance, drama)
- REAL (seinen, sports, drama, slice of life)
- Evyione (shoujo manhwa, fantasy, romance, historical, drama)
- Doubt (shounen, psychological, horror, mystery, mature, drama)
- Usagi Drop (josei, slice of life)
- Ghost Sweeper Mikami (shounen, supernatural, comedy, ecchi)
- Silver Diamond (shounen-ai)
- Shin Angyo Onshi (seinen)
- Dengeki Daisy (shoujo)
- Aflame Inferno (shounen)
- Basara (shoujo)
- Liar Game (seinen)

- Saraiya Goyou (seinen)
- Doukyuusei (BL, romance)
- Memories of Emanon (seinen)
- Karakuri Odette (shoujo)
- Gunjo (seinen, yuri)
- Four Shoujo Stories (shoujo)
- Orokamono wa Aka wo Kirau (BL)
- Genkaku Picasso (shounen)
- Olimpos (shoujo)
- Mail (shounen)
- Banana Bread Pudding (Shoujo)
- Eagle: The Making of an Asian-American President (Seinen)
- The Heart of Thomas (Shoujo, Shounen Ai)
-Tokyo Zombie (Seinen, Alternative)
-Firefighter! Daigo of Fire Company M (shounen)
-Pansy (shoujo)
-Peepo Choo (Seinen, Alternative)
-A Drunken Dream and Other Stories (Shoujo, Josei, One-shots)
-Shingeki no Kyojin (shounen, horror)
-Devilman (shounen, horror)
-Bakegyamon (shounen, youth)
-Natsuyuki Rendezvous (Josei, Romance)
-Gimmick! (Seinen)
-What's Michael? (Seinen)
-Futatsu no Spica (Seinen)
-Gakuen Sousei Nekoten! (Seinen)
-Zankoku na Kami ga Shihai suru [A Cruel God Reigns] (Shoujo)
-Bambino! (Seinen)
-Crows x Worst (Shounen)
-A Drifting Life (Gekiga, Biography)
-Kanata kara (Shoujo, Fantasy) [Discuss]
-Junji Ito's Cat Diary: Yon & Mu (Seinen, Slice of Life) [Discuss]
-Maou: Juvenile Remix (Sci-Fi, Shounen) [Discuss]
-Kakukaku Shikajika (Josei, Autobiography) [Discuss]
-13th Boy (Shoujo, Romance) [Discuss]
-Satoshi Kon's Opus (Fantasy, Seinen) [Discuss]
-Ran to Haiiro no Sekai (Fantasy, Seinen) [Discuss]
-2001 Nights (Sci-fi, Seinen) [Discuss]
-Voynich Hotel (Comedy, Horror) [Discuss]
-No Longer Human (Psychological, Seinen) [Discuss]
-Children of the Sea (Psychological, Seinen) [Discuss]
BrandJul 1, 2016 8:46 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 25, 2009 8:47 AM

Aug 2008
Kinou Nani Tabeta?

As a self-declared hater of slice of life, this manga is my exception. Maybe that's just Yoshinaga Fumi working her stuff. The synoposis says it all: "A story of a gay couple trying to live a peaceful normal life as well as sharing hearty meals together."

The main couple is gay, but there's no BL stereotyping going on. They have to deal with their sometimes overly "supportive," yet misunderstanding parents and oblivious coworkers. For older readers, it's easy to relate to the main character and how he gets lost in his cooking hobby to wash away all the worries and stresses of daily life. To him, there's nothing more important or joyful than creating a well-balanced meal for a good price and sharing it. This manga never fails to make me hungry. It has good descriptions and drawings of the meals. This is not a side gimmick, but a main focus. Leave it to Yoshinaga Fumi to make a seinen manga about two gay guys that love to share good meals together. :)

Silver Diamond

It's no secret that I love this one (my current favorite publishing work out of hundreds :O) and always want to find more readers of it. A veteran mangaka, Shiho Suguira seems to have planned out the story, world, and pacing very well. The art is absolutely beautiful and the characters highly enjoyable. Not sure what else to say besides it's just well-crafted and the pinnacle of the BL(ish) fantasy genre.
Apr 22, 2009 7:19 PM

Mar 2008
Hope to see Basara, Please Save My Earth, Kazan and alot more epic series to be featured soon!

I would also like to second Shinkeikaku's recommendation, Silver Diamond cause the series sounds interesting and it would be nice to have it as first shounen-ai featured series. The art is great btw..
Apr 22, 2009 10:44 PM

Aug 2008
Oh, PSME is great. :D I marathoned that manga in just a few days. I thought my eyeballs were going to fall out, but it was worth it.

I'm going to do something about that Silver Diamond summary in MAL Rewrite. It's an eyesore and certainly isn't helping it gain popularity. >.>
Apr 24, 2009 2:02 PM

Oct 2008
Yay, glad that you're helping with MAL rewrite shinkeikaku. Some of the summaries on MAL are seriously atrocious.

Anyways, I recommend:
- Kaze Hikaru (historical romance % drama, gender-blender, about a girl who disguises herself as a boy to join the Shinsengumi)
- Socrates in Love (SAD SAD romance but SO GOOD)
- FY: Genbu Kaiden (which, imo, is much better than the original)

KokoroChan: Nobody will beat our SuperAwesomeAsianNinjaSkillzzz (S.A.A.N.S.)!!!!!! l P h o t o s h o p G a l l e r y l
Apr 25, 2009 7:44 AM

Aug 2008
Just one more rec for the sake of a very different genre—Kyuuso wa Chiizu no Yume wo Miru.

Yup, yaoi. Good yaoi. This work manages to dodge many pitfalls that plague the genre. The men are actually men; characters aren’t magically gay for everyone; people don’t automatically fall for someone after being pressured into a relationship; etc.

These general statements are kinda spoilery for such a short work.

This was written by Mizushiro Setona (After School Nightmare) and was serialized in Judy, meaning it was made with older women in mind. I only wish the sequel oneshot was also available in English. It’s even better and adds to their story very well. :O

:looks at her other recs in the thread: lol, I swear I read stuff with straight people in it! But I think any of these 3 recs would offer some variety from what has already been featured.
Apr 25, 2009 10:09 AM
Mar 2008
@shinkeikaku: I'll definitely feature one of your suggested series in May. In fact, as admin, you can have the honors of picking one of the featured series in May = )

chichiriNoDa said:
Hope to see Basara, Please Save My Earth, Kazan and alot more epic series to be featured soon!

I would also like to second Shinkeikaku's recommendation, Silver Diamond cause the series sounds interesting and it would be nice to have it as first shounen-ai featured series. The art is great btw..

Not to sound mean chichiri, but I don't think I'm going to feature Basara or PSME anytime soon (unless either of them win the Best Unknown Series tournament). We've already featured 3 shoujo fantasy series.

I won't mind featuring Kazan though since it's a seinen series and the only seinen we've featured was REAL. My only problems with it is that it's no longer available in English (and probably won't ever again) and there are no scans for it. It'll be hard to "recommend" it to the club when the majority of members are not going to go out of their way to buy the remaining copies off eBay or something - they'll essentially have NO WAY of reading it = (

Susurrous said:
Yay, glad that you're helping with MAL rewrite shinkeikaku. Some of the summaries on MAL are seriously atrocious.

Anyways, I recommend:
- Kaze Hikaru (historical romance % drama, gender-blender, about a girl who disguises herself as a boy to join the Shinsengumi)
- Socrates in Love (SAD SAD romance but SO GOOD)
- FY: Genbu Kaiden (which, imo, is much better than the original)

Good suggestions! Too bad Viz is sooo behind on their releases of Kaze Hikaru. This series is already 25 volumes and still ongoing in Japan!

Socrates in Love is good as well for a oneshot!

And I agree with you about FYGK. Since we just featured FY not too long ago, I'll probably save this for much later, but it will eventually be featured!

Thanks you guys!
Apr 25, 2009 1:51 PM

Aug 2008
@sakura_rose: Sweet :D While Kyuuso is one of the few that could fight against Silver Diamond for my affections, I can't betray my true manga love. ;) Looks like yaoi will have to wait for its big debut.. lol.
Apr 30, 2009 1:24 AM
Aug 2008
Is it too late to nominate Ghost Sweeper Mikami?
Apr 30, 2009 4:22 AM

Jun 2007
Solanin by Asano Inio, 2 Volumes - 28 Chapter (Slice of Life, Drama, Seinen)

Asano Inio's best work imo. A short story about a group of youngsters who just came out of university, a couple, and a band. Throught all the struggles, they try to find a meaning and a direction for their life in a very big city. This manga takes a very detailed shot of the life of those people in one of the most important period in their life: the one when they definitely choose what they want (or will) to be. This short story does not fall in usual clichés, and results to be emotional, funny and sad, but also mature and reflective.

Apr 30, 2009 10:49 AM

Nov 2007
What about Anoko to Issho ? A realistic shojo, sometimes even considered a josei, I've only read three volumes, but it's a great serie if we're looking for a shoujo. Now that I think about it, it's really more like a josei, even though the characters are high-schoolers. Definitely a recommendation if you need a featured serie. I don't know if scans are available =/
(@shinkeikaku : I definitely think MAL rewrite is a great idea ! Anyway, could you have a look at the summary for Kanojo Iro No Kanojo and tell me if something is wrong with it, since when I wrote it I wasn't sure of the way to phrase it, I get confused between french and english when I write summaries/review and everything I write sounds weirdly worded when read out loud)
Apr 30, 2009 8:27 PM

Aug 2008
Nice to see more recs. :)

@Elthyra
It's great when people submit summaries. I'm glad you're doing it. :) I used to do it a lot more, but I got very tired of some dedicated stalkers stealing everything I posted and removing credits. -.-

The summary makes sense, but I would call her dream to be a "female mixed martial artist" instead. Her outfit, glove style, lack of female participation, and the fact that she uses her fists and legs hints at her type of fighting, even though the kanji is not very descriptive (it's just basically "female martial artist").

Oh, there's an interview with Megumi Fujii and she's definitely a mixed martial artist. lol, that was a lot more simple. So much for thinking it out ^_^;;
shinkeikakuApr 30, 2009 8:35 PM
May 27, 2009 6:45 PM

Nov 2008
I choose Lovenista. It's a very odd manga, but it's also very sweet. It has a bit weird parts, especially the first page, but I would reccomened it to anyone. I hope to see it... maybe.
May 27, 2009 6:58 PM

Jun 2008
I recommend that Yumekui Kenbun: Nightmare Inspector . It's very much like XXXholic, however, it focuses on making a confusing scene out of a person's nightmare, and having the reader piece the puzzle together with logic. It also has some of the BEST artwork I've ever seen.
May 27, 2009 7:06 PM

Aug 2008
littlemitsuki said:
I choose Lovenista. It's a very odd manga, but it's also very sweet. It has a bit weird parts, especially the first page, but I would reccomened it to anyone. I hope to see it... maybe.

I haven't read Lovenista, but I'm very aware of Kayono and her plagiarism. I certainly don't call the shots around here, but I don't think supporting a mangaka that blatantly plagiarized from another (and legally got away with it using her social connections) is the message we want to get across with the featured series. :/

Do you have another suggestion? :3 She's just the only major mangaka I can think of that really disrespected her own industry. ^_^;; Some people are unaware of the incident as well since she got to continue publishing with no repercussions, unlike the other party.

(For those unfamiliar with material the caused the (failed) lawsuit that barred the legitimate mangaka Takashima Kazusa from publishing for years, refer to this page. It's in Japanese, but I think it's rather self explanatory.)

Edit: That page has some NSFW boobs btw. ^_^;;
shinkeikakuMay 27, 2009 7:09 PM
May 28, 2009 4:15 PM
Mar 2008
@Galatea: Solanin is a great choice! I hope to feature this some day as well.

@Elthyra: Anoko to Issho seems good, though I wonder, is this series dropped? It seems like it hasn't been scanlated in awhile and I can't seem to find any signs that show that it's still ongoing = /

littlemitsuki said:

I'm going to have to go with shin on this one. The purpose of this club is to hype up and promote some great series out there that might have otherwise gone unread. Unfortunately, since the mangaka of Lovenista has committed such a serious crime in the manga industry with plagiarism, I don't believe that we should "support" her in this club.

Though I'm rather more interested to support those works that she plagiarized from 'cuz I'm sure they're a lot better than what she came up with xD

conankudo4 said:
I recommend that Yumekui Kenbun: Nightmare Inspector . It's very much like XXXholic, however, it focuses on making a confusing scene out of a person's nightmare, and having the reader piece the puzzle together with logic. It also has some of the BEST artwork I've ever seen.

I've read the first 2 or 3 volumes of Yumekui Kenbun. While I don't think that I'd like it enough to continue collecting it (since I like xxxHolic better), but I do think that it's definitely worth checking out, especially since it's one of those series that Viz has released under the radar = )

@shin: Thanks for the info! Even I myself, didn't even know that Kayano was a copycat :P
May 28, 2009 4:46 PM
May 2007
Shin Angyo Onshi is definitely a manga to be featured. I don't even know why its not in the list of manga associated with this club. This is a very very deep and at times dark manga, with a impeccable story line. Also the artwork in this manga, even though I hardly care about things like this, is undoubtedly the most exquisite I have ever seen. Even with such a heart wrenching story of lost love, and failed hopes, the characters of this manga truly shine making you wish you could just jump in their world and give them the comfort they deserve.

I'm not really sure, if this is a popular manga or not, but I still think this deserves the spotlight just as much as Basara does. Also, some sites say this is a manhwa, some say its a manga. It reads from right to left, and the only thing that makes me think its a manhwa are the names. (which some still have -san endings so i'm confused). All in all a good manga/manhwa.
May 29, 2009 8:32 AM

Nov 2008
Umm... okay I didn't know that... I just read whatever is good =\
May 29, 2009 11:08 AM

Feb 2009
There's a manga that just came to my mind, and I'm suprised to see that it wasn't reced before. And it's Kare Kano.

I remember reading this manga and being effected by it. It's a slice of life, drama, romance which made me think about my own life while reading it. I remember that I was able to sync with the girl protagonist and reflect her thoughts to my own life. I really enjoyed reading it even if it was 21 Volumes.
Jun 1, 2009 9:49 PM
Mar 2008
@kittenz73: I've read Shin Angyo Onshi and it's probably my favorite seinen manhwa. Technically it's a manhwa since it's made by Koreans but since it's serialized in a Japanese magazine, it's read like a manga. I still consider it a manhwa though. I don't always have time to keep the lists up to date, but yeah, I think that Shin Angyo Onshi is definitely one that deserves to be in the club relations = )

@Fin: I haven't read Kare Kano but it seems to be a classic. I always see people talking about it. I think it deserves to be added to the club relations as well, just based on its reputation alone xD
Jun 3, 2009 12:40 PM
Dec 2008
Liar Game - Drama, Psychological, Seinan
This manga is perfect for anyone who loves classics like Deathnote, and will really force you to use the mind.

Blade of the Immortal - Historical, Horror, Samurai, Supernatural
Haha talk about alot of genres. But seriously amazing art, unique story, and engaging storytelling!

Ok, just one more!

Uzumaki - Drama, Horror, Romance, Psychological, Seinen
From the master of horror, Junji Ito, Uzumaki displays the creepy events of a small Japanese town, and the mysterious spirals linking it all together!
Jun 4, 2009 8:59 PM
Mar 2008
@Kira_Shinigami: Those are some great picks! I'm going to have to put up a poll for some of these series in the near future, LOL.
Jun 6, 2009 11:39 PM

Jan 2008
With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child by Keiko Tobe. I think this manga deserve to be featured as it is rare to see a manga that talk about real life issues.
HatsumiShinoguJun 7, 2009 9:20 PM
Jun 8, 2009 9:24 PM
Mar 2008
@HatsumiShinogu: That's another good one. I'm kinda bummed that not even a chapter of it is scanned (for those that read scans first before buying) but it definitely seems like one that's under the radar kinda like Oishinbo (another series that isn't scanned but is licensed in English).

I'll definitely feature this one someday = )
Jun 11, 2009 10:24 AM

Dec 2008
Hello, I don't know if this is the right thread to post it (I am kind of new here, sorry if it's not) but I think that Amatsuki is a great candidate for this club...
yeah, I know the anime gives it some popularity so that it is not really hidden..but not many people pay attention to the manga..I wish they do, since the anime just takes one little issue about the manga and not the whole picture of it...This is a great story that calls your attention about what we think and perceive is reality and what is not..and how all that could be just a product of our brain work...combining that premise with science, brain research and a simulated reality in the edo period; where you see the supernatural like a product of programming and you always keep wondering what is real and what is not...while the characters struggle to understand all of this and you get to see different points of view and situations that make you think about what we call life, death, reality, fantasy, memories and God..definitely a must if you love those stories that make you think a lot..! :D
Jun 15, 2009 10:48 PM

Jan 2008
Akachan to Boku is another good slice of life manga series.
Jun 20, 2009 10:20 AM

Dec 2007
Zombie-loan is quite interesting. It's a horror, supernatural, drama, comedy. It's about two zombies that have to repay their loan by killing other zombies.
Jun 22, 2009 9:43 PM

Nov 2008
A manga I recently started.

Papillon - please look into it.
Jun 25, 2009 9:07 PM
Mar 2008
@Queen2408: Amatsuki is a good candidate. I've read a bit of the manga and the art is really nice! I own the art book = )

@HatsumiShinogu: I agree with Akachan to Boku (Baby & Me). It's probably the most underhyped of all of Viz's Shojo Beat line.

@Animatronix: I haven't really gotten into Zombie Loan, but it does have kinda a unique story : )

@littlemitsuki: I've been reading Papillon and it's pretty good despite how kinda cliche it is xD
Jun 27, 2009 6:40 AM

Jul 2008
Deep Love - Ayu no Monogatari!
Haha, seems like I'm nominating this manga again.

This manga isn't as well known, but heck, that shouldn't matter. It's a beautiful manga for many reasons, it's just amazing. More people should read it 'cause it's only every once in a while that you'll find a manga like this.
Jun 27, 2009 1:05 PM

Mar 2009
Anyone mentioned Banana Fish yet? Don't see it in the first post's list.

I've tied it for my favorite manga of all time with Maison Ikkoku (and I'm unwilling to put one ahead of the other given that they're different genres). If the theme is shojo/josei, this one is technically a josei, although it has wide appeal to the seinen audience too if you ask me.

I also didn't see one for Maison Ikkoku, the popularity of her other series baffled me after I read this. I've also noticed that it is part of the collage pic on the main page.
Jun 27, 2009 9:44 PM

Feb 2008
Ive probably mentioned this too many times already on the club wall, but.........

Bokurano

It's a fantastic series: drama, sci fi, action, psychological, seinan, and philosophical.
Jul 7, 2009 7:22 PM

Mar 2009
Parasyte and Historie are two great series by the same guy, I nominate them as well.
Jul 9, 2009 3:03 PM

Apr 2009
Harukana Machi-E

its about a middle aged man who miraculously gets a second chance to experience his junior high years again. by this he is also given the chance to find out why his father had suddenly left his family at that time.
its a rather short but serious manga and revolves about happiness in life

i enjoyed this manga very much and also liked the message the mangaka wants to pass on to the reader.

please look into it
Aug 11, 2009 2:35 AM

Dec 2007
I read too many so it's hard to actually choose just a few, but here goes:
- "Flat" by Natsu Aogiri
A very sweet slice-of-life that reminds me of "Aishiteru ze baby". A small boy who is very shy, but little by little will start to open up to his cousin who, despite being lazy, does the best deserts. Through this they develop a deep relationship and learn with each other.
It's a shame there aren't that many translated chapters, but it's good points are seen at the very first chapter.

- "Girlfriend" by Masaya Hokazono and Court Betten
This is an ecchi manga, but what I like about it are the various relationships it portraits.
Focused on a new couple every chapter, it never gets boring and it's different every time.

- "Kiss and Never Cry" by Yayoi Ogawa
This is a beautiful story with ice-skatin as its main theme, but going beyong just a simple sports manga.
It's the characters and their stories and traumas that actually drive us in.
Really beautiful.

I'm not sure I should put this one because I thought it was well known, but based on MAL it's not, so here goes:
- "Code Breaker" by Akimine Kamijyo
Funny, full of action, with a main character that seems like a villain and a witty and corageous female lead that does not stand back a fight, this manga is very interesting and has an amazing cast.

I have more, but I'll leave it for another time.
Hope some of these are admissable.
Aug 12, 2009 11:34 AM
Mar 2008
@Bou: I love Deep Love - Ayu no Monogatari. I might just add this to the next featured shoujo/josei poll because this really does need to be featured someday <3

@classicalzawa: I love Banana Fish was well. Though this lost in our previous shoujo/josei poll, I definitely plan to feature this within the next month or so (hopefully sooner).

Maison Ikkoku is definitely on the manga relations, we just haven't gotten around to featuring it yet. It will be featured eventually if not anytime soon = )

@SixFlags: Very unique choice! I haven't read that title yet, but I've read The Walking Man which was done by the same mangaka.

@DreamGazer: Thanks for all of your suggestions! Keep bringing them on!

I think that I'll add Code Breaker to the next shounen/seinen poll xD
sakura_r0seAug 13, 2009 7:32 PM
Aug 13, 2009 7:21 PM

Aug 2008
Eagle: The Making of an Asian-American President i believe more people need to read this really good manga on politics and a good drama
Aug 14, 2009 2:56 AM

Feb 2008
SixFlags said:
Harukana Machi-E

Seconding this. Fantastic manga.

Also, not sure if it's "hidden" since it has over a thousand members on MAL (of which only around 400 have completed the manga) and it's by the same person who wrote Hokuto no Ken but I'll throw in Sanctuary. Yakuza, politics and ideology blend together in this thriller of a series. The art is phenominal with a level of detail and shading not often seen in the current crop of mainstream manga. Characterization is nothing short of brilliant. It's one of the most entertaining manga I've encountered and without a doubt my favorite.
Aug 16, 2009 6:58 PM

Mar 2009
Has Please Save My Earth really not been featured yet?
Aug 16, 2009 9:05 PM

Jul 2008
I'd recommend Red River.
It's not totally hidden, but it's in the big club image thing and in the list of series, so someone else must think it's a hidden gem at least =3
Historical shoujo piece that actually takes place during the Hittite Empire (very unique lol) and has a great blend of action, drama, romance, political intrigue....Plus a strong heroine and male lead that eventually become one of the most epic power couples ever. The pacing (+plot) is excellent as well, there's always something interesting happening.
Aug 17, 2009 11:27 AM
Mar 2008
LucySky said:

Also, not sure if it's "hidden" since it has over a thousand members on MAL (of which only around 400 have completed the manga) and it's by the same person who wrote Hokuto no Ken but I'll throw in Sanctuary. Yakuza, politics and ideology blend together in this thriller of a series. The art is phenominal with a level of detail and shading not often seen in the current crop of mainstream manga. Characterization is nothing short of brilliant. It's one of the most entertaining manga I've encountered and without a doubt my favorite.

I think that Sanctuary is pretty "hidden". 1,000+ members is nothing compared to the 30,000+ people that are reading such series like Naruto and Bleach. Plus, Sanctuary is an older series that I believe many people might not have been exposed to. Great choice!

classicalzawa said:

Yes it hasn't been featured yet. At the time that we were going to feature it, we were already featuring too many supernatural/sci-fi series so I decided against it just that time just to add some more variety in the choices, plus were were only having a featured series every 2 weeks (not every week like it is now). Just be patient, it will get featured soon enough. I love this series too and it's definitely deserving of it = )

KuronoMizu said:
I'd recommend Red River.
It's not totally hidden, but it's in the big club image thing and in the list of series, so someone else must think it's a hidden gem at least =3
Historical shoujo piece that actually takes place during the Hittite Empire (very unique lol) and has a great blend of action, drama, romance, political intrigue....Plus a strong heroine and male lead that eventually become one of the most epic power couples ever. The pacing (+plot) is excellent as well, there's always something interesting happening.

Red River is another great choice!
Aug 17, 2009 11:30 AM
Mar 2008
LucySky said:

I think that Sanctuary is pretty "hidden". 1,000+ members is nothing compared to the 20,000+ people that are reading such series like Naruto and Bleach. Plus, Sanctuary is an older series that I believe many people might not have been exposed to. Great choice!

classicalzawa said:

Yes it hasn't been featured yet. At the time that we were going to feature it, we were already featuring too many supernatural/sci-fi series so I decided against it just that time just to add some more variety in the choices, plus were were only having a featured series every 2 weeks (not every week like it is now). Just be patient, it will get featured soon enough. I love this series too and it's definitely deserving of it = )

KuronoMizu said:
I'd recommend Red River.

Red River is another great choice!
sakura_r0seAug 17, 2009 11:42 AM
Aug 17, 2009 12:07 PM

Apr 2009
I'm new, so I don't know if I'm doing the recommendation right, but here it goes:

I'd recommend Mademoiselle Butterfly ( Drama, Historical, Romance, Shoujo). I'd describe it as a typical historical shojo manga that becomes sad only when it needs to, is a little predictable, and has a perfect ending.

I also suggest Glass Mask ( Drama, Romance, Shoujo) as it has a very unique main character that not only dedicates herself to acting; she gets absorbed in it, she can find solutions even for the hardest trials if it comes to acting.
Aug 18, 2009 4:11 AM

Jan 2008
X-Day by Setona Mizushiro. It's a really good pyschological thriller that noone seems to have read.
Aug 18, 2009 5:20 PM
Jul 2009
I would say let's feature "Iron Wok Jan"

Why? Because it's not read by many people and because it should be read. It's no love story at all though, but I still recommend it. I only read 12 volumes so far, (like a year ago) but I still liked it. (it has humor)

It's about a man, named Jan Akiyama. (he is so unexpectly an amazing character I have ever came across) Jan wants to pursuit his dreams of winning everything that involves food. (or cuisine) He is working in a restrurant and has many rival in the cooking world. He fights everyday with the other chief and even though he doesn't own the restrurant, he acts like he does. (By the way he was force to work in the restrurant in the first place.)

This guy can cook some odd food. (I almost threw up reading this one recipe I read in the manga) I still recommend it. That is all I can really say.
If I'm no longer replying back, means my life is busy. As simple as that. Will get back as life settle down.
Aug 20, 2009 11:36 AM
Mar 2008
timi said:
I'm new, so I don't know if I'm doing the recommendation right, but here it goes:

I'd recommend Mademoiselle Butterfly ( Drama, Historical, Romance, Shoujo). I'd describe it as a typical historical shojo manga that becomes sad only when it needs to, is a little predictable, and has a perfect ending.

I also suggest Glass Mask ( Drama, Romance, Shoujo) as it has a very unique main character that not only dedicates herself to acting; she gets absorbed in it, she can find solutions even for the hardest trials if it comes to acting.

Welcome!

Well, we don't usually feature short series like Mademoiselle Butterfly but I'll look into it ^^

Glass Mask seems like a shoujo classic (and it's still ongoing) so nice choice!

st_owly said:
X-Day by Setona Mizushiro. It's a really good pyschological thriller that noone seems to have read.

For 2 volumes, X-Day was pretty good. In a way, you could kinda relate to how some of the characters felt.

In the end . . .

@paigy_loli: That really seems like a hidden gem so very nice choice!
Aug 21, 2009 3:06 AM

Sep 2008
Oh if 1000 people reading manga is hidden I am going to recommend one of my personal favorites- Angel Densetsu .It is Comedy, School, Shounen and one of the best I have ever read.The main character is very memorable :) I could write a lot about this manga,but in my eyes it's a MUST READ.

Second thing that I think is truly a hidden gem is Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan It's Drama, Romance, Slice of Life, Seinen and I was touched by it's story.
NekkroAug 21, 2009 5:51 AM
Aug 24, 2009 10:39 AM
Mar 2008
Nekkro said:
Oh if 1000 people reading manga is hidden I am going to recommend one of my personal favorites- Angel Densetsu .It is Comedy, School, Shounen and one of the best I have ever read.The main character is very memorable :) I could write a lot about this manga,but in my eyes it's a MUST READ.

Second thing that I think is truly a hidden gem is Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan It's Drama, Romance, Slice of Life, Seinen and I was touched by it's story.

Angel Densetsu sounds interesting, especially since it's by the same mangaka of Claymore (a manga that I love).

Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan seems like another nice one since it's by mangaka Sumomo Yumeka = )
Aug 24, 2009 12:01 PM
Apr 2008
i would like to see jiraishin i think its one of the best suspense, drama, mature, seinen, action manga of its generation. The characters are all unique and they way it deals with life and a bunch of other things. but yeah i really think it should be featured
Aug 24, 2009 2:24 PM

Jun 2009
I don't think one work by Tezuka has even been mentioned. Just to throw it out there, but Buddha. Currently reading it and not too far in, but its wonderful and unique among all manga. For some reason, he is barely known outside of Japan but luckily his works are being published in English and increasing his popularity.
"In the Beginning, the creative energy radiates from within."
-
No, no. That's Lame. Sounds like something out of a Jodorowsky comic.

The Tokusyu Manga Club - Features alternative comics/avant-garde comics/outsider comics/psychdelic comics/surrealistic comics/underground comics + La Nouvelle Manga (part of Alternative).

If I'm here, its because I have nothing better to do.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Suggest a Hidden Gem of the Month! ( 1 2 3 4 )

Brand - May 2, 2017

181 by Mr_Libra »»
Apr 8, 10:06 AM

» April 2024 - Believers

Brand - Apr 3

0 by Brand »»
Apr 3, 6:22 PM

Poll: » Vote for the Hidden Gem of Manga - April 2024

Brand - Mar 17

0 by Brand »»
Mar 17, 7:24 AM

» March 2024 - Isabella Bird in Wonderland: Unbeaten Tracks in Japan

Brand - Mar 2

0 by Brand »»
Mar 2, 2:30 PM

Poll: » Vote for the Hidden Gem of Manga - February 2024

Brand - Jan 16

0 by Brand »»
Jan 16, 7:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.