Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Witch and the Beast
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 10, 5:57 AM

Oct 2008
I hope that Necromancer feels beyond regret pissing-off Kristoff hAHAHAHa!
5/5.

Feb 10, 6:48 AM
Jul 2023
I'm pretty sure Johan was just really jealous from her being so physically close to an other man😂
Feb 10, 3:12 PM
Jan 2024
Great animation and plot!
Feb 10, 4:37 PM

Apr 2023
Great decision to watch this anime 2 episodes at a time as they released. This necromancy arc was a very good watch.
Feb 10, 5:07 PM

Mar 2022
its a shame I like these two way more than the main characters. I hope we get more of them.
Feb 10, 11:00 PM

Jan 2011
This show needed an arc like this. We're back on trick. I'm interested to see mroe of these two.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Feb 10, 11:02 PM

Jan 2011
Reply to Marinate1016
Man learning about what happens to strays’ souls after the necro spell wears off is horrible. Last week I said it was morally grey, but it’s not even in doubt anymore. Bringing people back to life is a purely selfish choice for the living person. The necromancer got exactly what he deserved. Very satisfying episode.

Things went about as I expected with Phanora pretending to be captured and Johan playing the bait. But Phanora’s big reveal as a witch was surprising as hell. I knew she had a trick up her sleeve, but didn’t know she had THAT. Her abilities are so scary, she’s extremely powerful but what’s more is that she totally changes how I looked at witches in this series. We’ve kinda been made to think they’re all bad, but apparently there’s good ones too.

I’m assuming Guideau already knows she’s a witch too since they’re part of the same org? Haven’t seen them on screen together yet to be 100 percent sure

The look on the necromancer face when he realised he fucked up by capturing literally the two worst possible people 😂 man Hayamin’s voice during Phanora reveal was so good. Very bloody ending to those negotiations as well.

Making the necromancer maintain all the people he’s revived as well as basically making his reunion with his beloved impossible is a perfect ending to this mini arc. She might not act like it at times, but Phanora clearly cares a lot for Johan and while she may abuse him, she’s not gonna let anyone else do it lol.

I hope we get to see more of them. They reminded me a lot of Tsuguru and Aya from undead girl as does the series in general tbf.
@Marinate1016 Guideau is about to want to throw hands with her.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Feb 11, 6:00 AM
Jan 2018
The hate y'all have for blonde Revy is unreal. I'm super excited to see her come back next episode.

As far as Phanora and co, I guess y'all really have a type. At least she's not a kid or sex doll with crazy body proportions. I just can't understand the idea of wanting a fictional character. But anime makes money off people like y'all, so go head and do you.

This anime has BIG BIG Darker than Black vibes, right down to the two part episode structure. Admittedly, Hei is a lot cooler than Guideau and Smoke Magician, but I kinda got the intention the mangaka of Witch didn't want to make another run of the mill wish fulfillment story. Which is why Guideau does whatever the hell she wants, to my complete and utter enjoyment.

But I would be lying if I said the story so far has sold her as well as say Revy was in Black Lagoon. IMO, it fits in well with this anime being a slow burn, character growth, journey anime. I love that Revy from Black Lagoon never fundamentally changed, even if she softened up just a little bit. My money is on this 12 parter not getting renewed for a second season, so I guess I'll have to read the manga to feel sad about Guideau growing a conscience and becoming nice.

Phanora doing the Soul Eater thing of being on the side of the angels was something I waiting for this whole time. No story worth it's salt makes all bad guys bad, and this story is too great to not have sympathetic witches in it. I wonder what the next sympathetic witch is gonna look like. Will she have to knock Guideau out?
Feb 11, 9:28 AM
May 2011
1/5 for me. The characters weighting eternal damnation so lightly is too dumb for suspension of disbelief to be possible for me. The previous arc also had a problem with the motivations of the grimoire holders not making sense. The animation quality is average. I'll keep watching for now as the manga seems to be well reviewed.
Feb 11, 1:46 PM
Jan 2020
It felt really good to see Phanora utterly destroy the necromancer dude's whole plan and then effectively enslave him. More anime need to let pieces of hypocritical garbage get their full comeuppance.
Feb 11, 4:50 PM

Apr 2021
Man I love these two. I wish they got more screen time.
Feb 11, 5:53 PM
Jan 2024
First of all: Phandora and Johan are better than the main duo. Second: I kept thinking all the time that Phandora was a necromancer, but like, undead at the same time, since she was always cold, I thought she was dead. Usually, I always guess the plots as they are quite obvious, but in this anime, it surprised me several times, and that's a pleasant surprise.

Feb 11, 9:39 PM

Jul 2019
Man, I kind of wish Phanora and Johan were the main characters, I enjoyed their dynamic way more then Ashaf and Guideau.
Feb 12, 5:28 PM

Apr 2012
Undead muder farse can exist alongside this anime.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Feb 12, 5:40 PM
Jan 2018
somehow they managed to get the Phanora and Johan stuff right, now can they PLEASE keep that up for the main stuff and stop messing with it?? damn
Feb 12, 11:47 PM

Mar 2008
I actually really liked this episode. That was some crazy level of power from Phanora

That is really a dark fate for people that get resurrected. What a weird bittersweet ending. This guy gets to be with his love again but only for her to eventually fall back into the void.

Jackson1333 said:
Man, I kind of wish Phanora and Johan were the main characters, I enjoyed their dynamic way more then Ashaf and Guideau.

Yeah I think everyone likes them more so hopefully they get shown as frequently as Ashaf and Guideau. I assume why Ashaf and Guideau are the main characters are because they are more goal oriented but I totally could have rolled with some series where it's just Phanora and Johan in a sort of occultist slice of life drama.
traedFeb 12, 11:50 PM
Feb 13, 3:10 PM
Apr 2020
Ashaf is hiding that phanora is a witch from guideau 🤣
Can't wait to see if this secret unfolds.
Certainly the best episode so far death knights were cool
Feb 14, 2:08 PM

Nov 2020
The new Duo makes me want to watch this anime but it's still hopeless, in the previous episode we have secrets and in this one again everything is simply explained in the monologue of the villain who is again easily defeated, it's really boring xD
Feb 15, 7:03 PM

Mar 2007
As I suspected, Johan is undead, but it wasn't until the reveal that we find out Phanora is also a witch! The animation of the scrolling runes was just beautiful.

Is it bad that I frankly love the Phanora / Johan pairing more than the original duo? Phanora's VA's voice is just so lovely to listen to, it kind of reminds me of the lady from xxXholic.
Feb 16, 5:41 AM

Oct 2016
Ok I liked the aesthetics in the first episode but this is as far as I can go with this one. The second pair was better than the protagonists but not by much. The mini arcs are boring because half of them are about explaning basic and well known occult stuff, while the other half is watching out of league one or two dimensional main characters easily stomping way weaker one dimensional villains with petty reasons.

And the switch from action to a slow occul detective and drama work wasn't done well with how edgy and poorly written the series is, it would have been better if it kept being an action show instead.

Even the music, which I liked the most, changed to something more typical in later episodes, and at times it even tries to sound like horror even though there's nothing here that comes off as scary.

I like the Beauty AND Beast aspect of it though.
Feb 16, 1:20 PM

Jun 2020
A man who looks like a banana I forget for a month talks about how he likes beautiful things. Pls start from yourself
Feb 16, 7:03 PM
Mar 2019
Ok, so Phanora is scary OP. haha Also, I like the expansion to this world with her, and Johan's addition to the story.
Feb 18, 2:56 AM

Jan 2017
Dang, didn't expected that woman to be a witch and Johan to be an Undead...
Feb 18, 4:43 PM

Apr 2016
Reply to NoelleIsSleepy
I didn't know if I was really feeling the anime until this episode, but now I can get into it. I hope they keep it up!
@Noelle43 Same! I personally like Phanora and Johan wayyyyyyyy more than the MC duo
Feb 25, 4:42 AM

Jan 2014
So the organisation employs a witch? There were a few hints but I didn't thought this would be the case. And she is a necromancer on top of that. This could have been a great episode if it wasn't for the children's writing villain. It gets less complex as we go on.
Feb 25, 7:34 AM
Jul 2014
Although it was expected to some degree, it was a fulfilling and cathartic episode to watch
Mar 1, 1:32 AM

May 2015
I thought necromancy requiring maintenance or else you lose your mind was bad. But your soul is doomed to a void forever too? What an evil fate for the Necromancer to force upon others. I'm glad Phanora gave him a taste of his own medicine.
Mar 13, 10:27 PM

Nov 2017
GREAT ep, almost makes up for the weird chick who adopted boys near maturity just to get closer to her boyfriend/fiance…

Uh, yeah. *scratches head with wondering*
Mar 20, 8:39 PM
Oct 2019
i liked the twist at the end. the death knights, the luggage servant being an undead, etc. and then killing, resurrecting, and essentially making that crazy guy a permanent caretaker for the undead he created was true justice
Mar 30, 6:27 AM

Feb 2021
The Death Knight is much more powerful than those undead :)
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 10, 6:29 PM
Mar 2024
Anime isn't Best But It's so Cool
Apr 29, 4:37 PM

Aug 2019
Don't let Guideau know that she's a witch or is going down lmao
May 27, 11:44 PM

Aug 2018
Coming up on the midway point and it’s pretty interesting.
Jun 24, 7:25 PM

Apr 2021
Good episode without the main characters, that guy got what he deserved for throwing so many people into the EMPTY.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 4

90 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 21

39 by Matheus050 »»
Sep 3, 2:30 PM

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 14

56 by Matheus050 »»
Aug 28, 6:46 AM

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 7

49 by Matheus050 »»
Aug 21, 8:38 PM

Poll: » Majo to Yajuu Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 29

42 by Matheus050 »»
Jul 12, 10:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.