Forum Settings
Forums

Which anime separate Casual fans from Hardcore fans?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 6, 2023 9:40 AM
May 2022
Evangelion, Code Geass, Gintama, ONE PIECE, and Hajime ipo.
BEASTARS Season 3 will be the best anime ever :)
Jan 6, 2023 11:12 AM

Oct 2013
I say it's not about animes, not in most of cases at least. It's more about behavior. It tells more who is genuinely interested in the medium and who is just a tourist not caring about basic elements of Japanese animated shows.
Jan 6, 2023 11:14 AM

Jul 2016
SobbleBoy27 said:

I saw Evangelion. I will watch Gintama. Not interested in the others.
Jan 6, 2023 11:22 AM

Aug 2018
sorry but it isn't any of those elitist anime like LOGH, Lain, Evangelion etc. People watch those to prove that they're "not like the typical cringe anime fan".

Code Geass I see as a stepping stone. It's got a bad rep here in the west for having all of the things that makes anime uncool.
Jan 6, 2023 11:25 AM

Aug 2018
IpreferEcchi said:
SobbleBoy27 said:

I saw Evangelion. I will watch Gintama. Not interested in the others.
What happened to your anime soul? If you don't watch Code Geass, you're not allowed into anime heaven.
Jan 6, 2023 11:29 AM

Oct 2013
epidemia78 said:
sorry but it isn't any of those elitist anime like LOGH, Lain, Evangelion etc. People watch those to prove that they're "not like the typical cringe anime fan".

True. In reality I noticed fans of these shows, who go with that kind of approach, acting like model "edgy anime fans saying cringe stuff", lol. Self-proclaimed elitists do be like that, I guess.
Jan 6, 2023 11:33 AM
Jul 2018
Harcore fans are the ones doing real-life organizing, cosplaying, social events. I'd say that anime fanatics who drive hundreds of miles to conventions can be considered hardcore fans. 

Also, anime fans who learn japanese with the main reason being able to understand/translate animanga can be considered hardcore. The latter especially, takes a lot of blood, sweat and tears but these guys do it.
Jan 6, 2023 11:39 AM

Jul 2016
epidemia78 said:
What happened to your anime soul? If you don't watch Code Geass, you're not allowed into anime heaven.

Are you forgetting that I invented anime soul? It's MY rule book.

Anime soul has specific standards set by me.

1) Look at the scores YOU gave every ecchi which has a MAL average of 7 or higher. For the majority of those, you must have scored them at least 7.
2) You must have at least one loli bait anime you enjoyed, and at least one incest bait anime you enjoyed.
3) You must sincerely believe that Japan as a country is infallible, because they produce the best entertainment on the planet.
Jan 6, 2023 11:40 AM
Oct 2021
I'd say Revolutionary Girl Utena. Almost 30 years later, it still has a passionate and active fandom that creates new beautiful art work and thoughtful analysis every day, but it's not as well known by the general public. It's not that it's dark and deep, even if it is both of those things as it deals with heavy topics in a beautiful way, but that the fandom is so involved after all this time.
Jan 6, 2023 11:45 AM

Jan 2019
Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Monster, Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong The Animation...
Jan 6, 2023 11:48 AM

Aug 2018
IpreferEcchi said:
epidemia78 said:

Are you forgetting that I invented anime soul? It's MY rule book.

Anime soul has specific standards set by me.

1) Look at the scores YOU gave every ecchi which has a MAL average of 7 or higher. For the majority of those, you must have scored them at least 7.
2) You must have at least one loli bait anime you enjoyed, and at least one incest bait anime you enjoyed.
3) You must sincerely believe that Japan as a country is infallible, because they produce the best entertainment on the planet.

Your anime soul is all gross and smelly.

Our lord and savior Madoka (praise be her name) condemns you to anime hell for all eternity!
Jan 6, 2023 11:51 AM

Oct 2013
Two of my first few anime were Ikkitousen and Inukami, so I'm not the best judge of that. That's not even a joke...I went from FMA being the first series I watched all the way through almost immediately to the first season of Ikkitousen.
Jan 6, 2023 11:56 AM

Apr 2012
I'm not sure if I fully understood OP, but if I see someone have Kaiji, Lain and Darker than Black as favorites, then I'm unlikely to assume that this person is under 20 years old.
Jan 6, 2023 11:56 AM

Apr 2012
I'm not sure if I fully understood OP, but if I see someone have Kaiji, Lain and Darker than Black as favorites, then I'm unlikely to assume that this person is under 20 years old.
Jan 6, 2023 11:59 AM

Jul 2016
@epidemia78

I already like Madoka Magica. I gave it a 9. And I like the hentai drawings of it.

I ship KyoSaya and KyoHomu primarily.

And I've seen a very nice dakimakura with Madoka's bare butt. Her bare butt is in the opening for the anime, by the way. I always point it out to people.
Jan 6, 2023 1:21 PM

Oct 2014
Something that on the surface seems inaccessible and strange, like any of Yuasa's works (not Devilman), Legend of the Galactic Heroes, or maybe Haruhi/Lucky Star/Monogatari. Like yes they're pretty popular but no casual will ever watch them
Jan 6, 2023 2:21 PM

Jun 2021
Deathko said:
Gundam fans still butthurt their fav couldn't do in 36 seasons and billions of eps what NGE did in 24 eps in 1995.
At least GUNDAM aren't gay and it doesn't have oversexualized children. NGE is crap.
ねえ、それはあなたです! あなたがカズマやトーマが好きなエッチ/ハーレムファンなら、女性を「平等に」扱うので、女性を殴る/軽蔑する2人のマッチョな男性か、Free!/YOIが好きだがフェアリーテイルの悪を話すTumblrファンガールです/ DxDとSAOは、ファンサービスがあり、アニメやマンガでBL / LGBTQ +ファンサービスが好きで、自分を「フェミニスト」と呼んでいるためです。自分は偽善者に過ぎず、価値観を再考し、これらの二重で停止する必要があることを知ってください。標準。 真剣に、それを止めてください😁。 #MenHaveTheRightToWorkInShortsInHotDays #MALMemberSince2010#Kirisuna Nico Nico no Hyouryuuken!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMsHeAUgW0lgREhidvVfUeeXb2M5WTADZ (Music about God).

*Bill Clinton's voice* I did not have sexual relationships with that anime girl. *Hilary Clinton's voice* waifu's rights are human rights, and human rights are waifu's rights. *God Emperor Donald Trump's voice* Yaoi anime will soon be illegal. All fujos will be arrested.

Jan 6, 2023 3:02 PM

Oct 2011
The monogatari set of anime without a doubt and really any out there like all the avant-garde stuff.
Jan 6, 2023 4:03 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
DoisacChopper said:
Rinrinka said:
Legend of Galactic Heroes aka Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (OVA version).

No mere casuals are willing to watch 110 episodes of 80s anime full of politics and war
I wonder if anyone whos seen the original could ever prefer the new version
the new artstyle really turned me off

also sometimes I wish I could find anime out there that are in the same vein as LoGH for politics and war
its really just a masterpiece beyond mortal comprehension 
I tried watching the new LOGH, it looks decent and alright, prob worthy of 7 or 8 of score. But I couldn't really watch it either~

It looks inferior than the OVA version, I couldn't really watch it because the OVA version is just too good and perfect already, watching new version feels like eating instant ramen after you just tasted a plate of expensive spaghetti from luxury restaurant^^;

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 6, 2023 4:12 PM

Feb 2020
Rinrinka said:
DoisacChopper said:

also sometimes I wish I could find anime out there that are in the same vein as LoGH for politics and war
I tried watching the new LOGH, it looks decent and alright, prob worthy of 7 or 8 of score. But I couldn't really watch it either~

It looks inferior than the OVA version, I couldn't really watch it because the OVA version is just too good and perfect already, watching new version feels like eating instant ramen after you just tasted a plate of expensive spaghetti from luxury restaurant^^;
tis crazy how remakes usually can't beat the og
i think all the love and labour put into past stuff just isn't put into most remakes and sometimes even sequels

Jan 6, 2023 4:21 PM

Oct 2021
Stage 1 - Non anime fans : People who watched an anime or a few but don't have an interest in the medium.

Stage 2 - Casual fans : People who watch anime irregularly. They up popular mainstream titles, interesting series, top recommendations, and may also watch seasonals. 

Stage 3 - Hardcore fans : People who watch anime regularly and love it as a form of entertainment. They have a good arsenal of watched series, and they watch many seasonals. Anime is one of their primary sources of entertainment, but they'll prioritize themselves and their lives over anime.

Stage 4 - Extreme fans : People whose whole life and identity revolve around anime and its underlying culture. They spend a lot on anime goods, watch anime most of the time, wish they could be in Japan, might be shut-ins, and might indulge in unhealthy behavior. Some may indulge themselves too much in online activity.

There could be a category placed between 3 and 4 but I lumped it into 4.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Don't try and get me to cook
I can take care of anything
else but not that

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Jan 6, 2023 4:46 PM

Feb 2021
I'm quite sure casual watchers don't watch Himegoto. Now that's hardcore. 
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Jan 6, 2023 5:02 PM

Mar 2019
Wouldn't really say that there's such a thing as a hardcore "anime fan", hardcore "entry x" fans sure. Everyone's a casual at heart anyway, don't really feel like one anime would make any meaningful distinction, but sure everyone's a casual until they've seen Sexy Commando gaiden: Sugoi yo!! Masaru-san.
KumiveneellaJan 6, 2023 6:21 PM
Jan 6, 2023 6:28 PM

Nov 2022
I think casuals are those who only watch the big three (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece) or their modern equivalents (FMAB, SNK(AOT), MHA, Boruto, Demon Slayer, Fairy Tail)

Everyone who watches and likes more is above casual.

From there it just branches out into different directions or interest clubs/pools which are more or less equivalent to one another in terms of casualism.

You can argue that some have shit taste and such, if they do not like stuff you do and like what you do not, but it is up to individual tastes from there on.

Such as:
CGDCT fans (Gochiusa, Anima Yell, Hinako Note)
otaku lifestyle fans(Lucky Star, Watamote, Hitori Bocchi MaruMaru no Seikatsu)
action fans
other waifu shows fans (CGDNSCT) (GuP, Dolls Frontline, KanColle)
cyber/tech fans (GitS, SEL, technolyze)
harem fans
dark show fans
weird show fans
Geass Fans
Eva fans
Fate series fans but excluding Fate/Zero
Fate/Zero fans but excluding other Fate series
Gen Urobutchi shows fans
Ghibli fans
<insert yet another fetish here> fans.

Sometimes you can see arguments between say Fate/Zero and Fate/Other fans about which show is better.

Or argument on which girl from Fate is better. That one is bound to produce a lot of disagreement due to differences in taste in women.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2067102
Here is even bigger bitter heated disagreement on which girl is better.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2026879
You can try put before Eva fans if Rei or Asuka is best girl, I wonder if hell will go lose that way.

Now we even have anime affinity bar so that we can tell at glance if any user shares your stances on any of the above.

I would not say there are no other shows that can serve as limitus test. Closets to that would probably be Lucky Star because of many otaku culture references, but even this is not for everyone.

In fact I think we should better study and analyze thse interest clubs so we can better target anime to different tastes.

You can also say that people who watch and understand SEL or other symbolic anime is an upper tier fans, but that way there will be too few of them. And it would not indicate much, since few fans who watch these actually understand between the lines symbolic messages from these shows.
EmperorThorJan 6, 2023 6:56 PM
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Jan 6, 2023 6:44 PM

Dec 2008
Hardcore fans = manga/LN readers. Casuals are the ones who only watch anime.
Jan 6, 2023 7:15 PM

Dec 2021
IMO, it's not WHAT you watch, but WHY

If you only watch X because it's a popular anime, and it's "cool" to like that anime and set a character from that anime as your PFP, then you might be a "casual"

If you watch X because you actually legitimately enjoy watching it, completely out of context from how popular / unpopular it is. Then you are a "true anime fan"
Jan 6, 2023 7:52 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Lucky Star. I showed this to a friend early in on their anime watching journey and they did not like it all that much but then rewatched it 6 months later after they became more immersed in the culture and what not and did an absolute 180 and was quoting it to me.
Jan 6, 2023 7:53 PM

Jul 2022
Hidden gems. Not many casuals will watch unpopular shows will they?
Kek

Jan 7, 2023 4:05 AM

Oct 2021
rohan121 said:
Only hardcore weebs love ecchi anime so I vote for that.
-Monster Musume
-Ishizoku Reviewers
-Heavens Lost Property
-Shimoneta
-Queens Blade
-ect
You sure about that I just can't agree
Jan 7, 2023 4:27 AM

Feb 2021
It is not which anime but the quality of series that you have already seen.
Jan 7, 2023 4:31 AM

Mar 2021
anyone who doesn't spend a dime or spends very little on the medium is effectively a casual. The same people that complain how shows like 86 ain't getting another season probably aren't even buying anything from it, or not enough to where it will make a contribution.

Almost every newer fan is effectively a casual., since they have no affinity to any show but the shiny new toy. Anyone who have only watched shows like fmab, death note is a casual since those shows are like retired ips.

People who buy the figures, spend on the gachas, any related merch are hardcore.

Any anime that isn't a big name shonen needs hardcore fans or it won't get many subsequent seasons.
Jan 7, 2023 4:34 AM

Mar 2021
Kazu-chan-san said:
Deathko said:
Gundam fans still butthurt their fav couldn't do in 36 seasons and billions of eps what NGE did in 24 eps in 1995.
At least GUNDAM aren't gay and it doesn't have oversexualized children. NGE is crap.
Well the new G-Witch show is basically just that. Absolute blasphemy of the franchise.
Jan 7, 2023 4:39 AM

Mar 2021
TheMechaManiac said:
tchitchouan said:
Hideaki Anno's Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Can't agree with this one at all. In fact I'd say it's one of the most casual "adult" anime there is.
Now Kidou Senshi Gundam, THAT is the kind of anime that separates a genuine hardcore anime fan from a casual that's subservient to critics making up shit. In fact mecha is by far the strongest pleb filter there is, if you enjoy mecha you're automatically a hardcore fan of anime.
Other strong filters are: Mahou Shoujo, Ecchi and Harems. Those genres all filter out a vast majority of casual anime fans. For example, if somebody claimed to have only watched Madoka and seen all good magical girl anime - that's not a hardcore fan, that's a casual who listens too much to the critics and doesn't use his own brain. But, if someone says they enjoyed Cutie Honey, Nanoha, Symphogear, My-Hime - that's a hardcore fan right there, they went against what's popular and against what the critics say and made their own taste.
Evangelion fans are way more hardcore than Gundam fans. Just look those pricey evangelion figures people buy. And how much people talk about a show in 90s that barely has installments.
A lot of Gundam fans are pretty much just plamo addicts, and many haven't even watched maost of the franchise. Gunpla outside p-bandai is priced cheap enough it is not something just hardcore gundam fans buy.
Not to mention gundam fans here have such a poor understanding of their own franchise, they don't understand the hierarchy of shows.
Jan 7, 2023 4:48 AM

Mar 2021
IpreferEcchi said:

Which anime separate Casual fans from Hardcore fans?

I lean towards the thinking that one can't really point to any specific Anime. Everyone's experience is different and not everyone has the same tastes in Anime either. You can arbitrarily point to one Anime call it what ever you want and both a casual Fan and a hardcore Fan could both have watched the same Anime before.
Jan 7, 2023 5:44 AM

Feb 2018
Kazu-chan-san said:
Deathko said:

and GUNDAM, -on average- at least benefits from attractive Mecha Design, so there's always that...

Jan 7, 2023 5:46 AM

Nov 2020
What the fuck? Why are so many people saying Evangelion?
Jan 7, 2023 6:12 AM
Jun 2021
ZechTearz said:

Because a lot of MAL users are basic normies who haven't ever seen a serious anime that's not Evangelion.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Jan 7, 2023 7:57 AM

Mar 2021
ZechTearz said:
the gundam fans that have flooded forums recently. Doesn't help they bent the knee to npcs due to G-Witch, and it has become a rallying point for yuri. As someone who has seen almost all of Gundam and all of Eva, Eva is a far more complex and philosophical show than any of the Gundam series.
icefirestone23Jan 7, 2023 8:03 AM
Jan 7, 2023 8:51 AM

Feb 2016
icefirestone23 said:
Eva is a far more complex and philosophical show than any of the Gundam series.
I didn't realize this was a competition. There's no reason to watch either show in that case, as Astro Boy is better.
その目だれの目?
Jan 7, 2023 9:05 AM

Mar 2021
I dunno mate
Casuals sometimes can watch shows that hardcore fans won't even tpuch
So can't really pinpoint that type of show
Jan 7, 2023 9:06 AM

Jul 2012
Rinrinka said:
DoisacChopper said:

Well for me, even if I still think the OVA is superior, DNT is amazing as well.
Yeah, the artstyle looks pretty generic but that's probably my only real issue with the show (which by now it's not really a problem cause I got used to it).

OT: Koni-chan.
Jan 7, 2023 9:11 AM
Pirate King

Oct 2022
icefirestone23 said:
ZechTearz said:
the gundam fans that have flooded forums recently. Doesn't help they bent the knee to npcs due to G-Witch, and it has become a rallying point for yuri. As someone who has seen almost all of Gundam and all of Eva, Eva is a far more complex and philosophical show than any of the Gundam series.

>Eva is a far more complex and philosophical show

we are in  2023 and people are still using this meme
kek
Jan 7, 2023 9:23 AM
Jul 2021
Hardcore fans can sit through 1000 episode anime imo casuals like me only watch shorter anime
Jan 7, 2023 9:24 AM
Feb 2022
PriinceYuki said:
Stage 1 - Non anime fans : People who watched an anime or a few but don't have an interest in the medium.

Stage 2 - Casual fans : People who watch anime irregularly. They up popular mainstream titles, interesting series, top recommendations, and may also watch seasonals. 

Stage 3 - Hardcore fans : People who watch anime regularly and love it as a form of entertainment. They have a good arsenal of watched series, and they watch many seasonals. Anime is one of their primary sources of entertainment, but they'll prioritize themselves and their lives over anime.

Stage 4 - Extreme fans : People whose whole life and identity revolve around anime and its underlying culture. They spend a lot on anime goods, watch anime most of the time, wish they could be in Japan, might be shut-ins, and might indulge in unhealthy behavior. Some may indulge themselves too much in online activity.

There could be a category placed between 3 and 4 but I lumped it into 4.

I also probably land somewhere between 3 and 4 because I do watch anime most of the time and consistently spend money on anime goods, but I do prioritize myself and my life before anime as my life does not completely revolve around anime.
Jan 7, 2023 9:31 AM
Jun 2021
icefirestone23 said:
ZechTearz said:

>Eva is more complex
>when it literally rips off Raideen and Ideon
>both are Tomino shows

Lol, lmao even.
Must be an Evageeks visitor.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Jan 7, 2023 9:32 AM

Mar 2021
Lucifrost said:
icefirestone23 said:
Eva is a far more complex and philosophical show than any of the Gundam series.
I didn't realize this was a competition. There's no reason to watch either show in that case, as Astro Boy is better.
Gundam itself is just a gateway to plamo addiction. Which is arguably as bad as drugs since it kills your space, time, and money. But since plamo makes so much money, they pretty much milked that train for 40 years.

When the show was released, Gundam got cancelled, and the followup series also underperformed.

So for your wallet and personal space's safety, eva is the bettter choice. Also the gundam fandom is toxic af. You will be hardpressed to find a fandom that hates 90% of their shows.
Jan 7, 2023 9:34 AM

Mar 2021
TheMechaManiac said:
icefirestone23 said:

>Eva is more complex
>both are Tomino shows

Lol, lmao even.
Gundam fans won't admit that they show more or less got carried by toys. Majority of Gundam fans are plamo addicts, and are only defensive because they spent their paycheques on toys.
Also Gundam fans hate 90% of their own shows and most of the franchise is considered subpar. Eva doesn't have a single "bad" entry.
icefirestone23Jan 7, 2023 9:38 AM
Jan 7, 2023 9:41 AM

Apr 2017
I feel like you should first establish the difference between what is considered Casual from Hardcore. 
I read that a lot of people think that "rebel" watching or going against what's popular, means you're a hardcore anime fan-
But why?

Do you not consider somebody ONLY focussed on one anime, but absolutely obsessed with it like One Piece watchers, Pokemon watchers, Naruto watchers etc, to be hardcore fans? They know every piece of lore that is to know and you would then by definition of popularity consider them casual?

And i'm then not considered a hardcore fan even though i've watched more anime than most people i know irl? 

Your question will never be answered because there is no answer, it's impossible to answer without establishing what you mean as casual or hardcore. I don't think any anime separates hardcore fans, it is the amount of obsession that counts in my book.
 L + RATIO + DIDN'T ASK + ELITIST + NOBODY CARES + FOLDED + U FELL OFF + CRY
Jan 7, 2023 9:46 AM

Feb 2022
icefirestone23 said:
TheMechaManiac said:

>Eva is more complex
>both are Tomino shows

Lol, lmao even.
Gundam fans won't admit that they show more or less got carried by toys. Majority of Gundam fans are plamo addicts, and are only defensive because they spent their paycheques on toys.
Also Gundam fans hate 90% of their own shows and most of the franchise is considered subpar. Eva doesn't have a single "bad" entry.
How i saw it was it only had 2 ok entries rebuild 1 and 2. The original is painfully dated.
Jan 7, 2023 9:47 AM
Jul 2018
If you haven't seen every anime from the 70s- till now, that has a girl in a bunny suit featured in them, and gone out of your way to categorized them, you are not hardcore in my eyes.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Modern chill anime osts like these?

Atmogenic - Yesterday

18 by SubstanceAnime »»
45 seconds ago

» Would you watch gender swapped Mushoku Tensei?

rohan121 - 4 hours ago

15 by combatcarlos »»
6 minutes ago

» What are the requirements for an anime to get "reanimated"?

Ventus_S - Jun 15

19 by Flick_on »»
15 minutes ago

» What's your favorite anime OST?

Gashadokur0 - Jun 15

38 by 8oomer »»
15 minutes ago

» Would you quit Anime if Anime caters to the West?

Dragevard - Jun 15

45 by Gashadokur0 »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.