Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 8, 2022 12:56 PM

Sep 2007
At about 15/16 years of age in 2003/2004, met a classmate and became friends has subbed anime archive burned onto DVD-Rs (pre-officail streaming era and alot of fansubs).

He introduced to me shows like Death Note, Naruto and Fate/Stay night. Probably wasn't aware of the concept of dubs back then.
May 8, 2022 2:41 PM
Jul 2018
Greece fortunately followed the Italian school of anime thought.

not focusing just on sci-fi like USA and ignoring everything else or forbidding violent mecha like Germany.

So there was a bit of everything.

First anime memories blurred as cartoons : (mid- to late-80s)
Little Prince, Superbook, Tao Tao, Maya, Heidi, Nils Holgerson, Jack and Beanstalk Princess Saphire, Dogtanian, Willy Fog etc

Distinct series that made me realize this is anime:
Ulysses 31, Candy Candy, Sandybelle, Getter Robo, Lazerion, Harlock, Locke the Supermarn, Kabamaru, Jetter Mars, Plawress Sanshiro, Lensman, Blue Noah, Windaria, Saber Rider etc

Though mid-90s to early 2000s I took a break. Last series I watched on TV was sailor moon R. When Dragon Ball and Pokemon became popular I stopped watching. Not my cup of tea.

was still impressed by Warrior's of the wind around that time

Started again around mid-2000s
May 8, 2022 9:11 PM
Jul 2018
When I was 6, I watched Doraemon and Bakugan. I also had the opportunity to watch anime such as GGO football and Captain Tsubasa.
May 8, 2022 9:29 PM

Jul 2013
Cousin wanted me to watch Elfen Lied with him when I was 10 to see my reaction. What he thought would be a joke ended up being my introduction to anime.
May 8, 2022 9:31 PM

Oct 2008
I saw anime for the first time in 1999 I think "Hana no Ko Lunlun".
I got reintroduced to anime in 2005 with "Shaman King".
I was 8 the first time and 14 the second.
Both anime aired on TV at the time in my country.
First manga would be "Akuma na Eros". I became a seasonal watcher in 2011 and since then I've been watching a whole lot more.
May 9, 2022 8:08 AM

Feb 2018
ggultra2764 said:
MasterTasuke said:
one of the early, mid-80's single-episode FHE volumes, perhaps?

I don't recall too many of the particulars of the single VHS volume I had of it. But do recall that there were two episodes on it and they were of the Macross episodes that Harmony Gold hacked up to form the 80s series. At least doing a quick search, it looks like a number of the FHE releases of Robotech had two episodes per tape on them, so it was likely one of those volumes I had considering the time period when I seen it.

probably the 1990's FHE double-episode ROBOTECH volumes such as the ones that constituted my own first-ever Anime videotapes, back around 1996...
May 9, 2022 12:30 PM

Feb 2021
Dragon ball was pretty much my entire childhood since I was 6 up to like 5th grade and I stopped when dbs came out. After that I watched a few popular shounen series for the next 6 years and it wasn't until I was 15 I started watching everything
May 9, 2022 12:38 PM
Propmaker/Etsy

Jun 2014
I always liked anime, I rembmer watching DBZ when it was on toonami, but I never got into at that time.
After highschool so probably 18 to 19 yro I started watching anime again.

Started with DBZ then FMBA to NGE and so on.
May 9, 2022 12:49 PM

Oct 2020
I have a couple of friends who really like it, one day i was listening to a rap song and it had a code geass reference asked my friends if it was worth it and decided to watch it

Not counting dragon ball, captain tsubasa, pokemon etc... otherwise it started when i was a kid watchiong tv
May 9, 2022 2:28 PM

Dec 2014
I met my now husband in June 2013 he has been watching anime since the 90s so he showed me Vampire Knight (i loved twilight and so he recommended this anime as it is quite similar) i then got fully invested into anime in 2014 after we watched Magi. I was completely hooked it is still to this day one of my favourite anime.
I am 27 years old.
May 9, 2022 3:23 PM

Jan 2021
I have been watching anime all my life, I remember when I was like 4 already watching Dragon Ball and Pokémon, so I have known anime ever since I can remember.
May 9, 2022 3:23 PM
Nov 2021
It was either late 90s or early 2000s. It was the early ps2 era. And my brother and my friends were playing dragon ball z Budokai the first one on PlayStation 2. I remember them going crazy specifically over Gohan during the cell arc. If I had to guess the game came out before the cell saga was completed. So that's why they were going crazy of the reveal of Gohan. Kind of similar to how the most recent Naruto game came out during that insane filler arc where everyone was caught in a genjutsu during the war. And the game basically finished the story while the show was still in that 100 episode filler arc. Anyways, seeing them go crazy over the game made me play the game. And then I saw the show on tv. And it was kind of a dominoe effect from there. I ended up watching Naruto bleach One Piece all the normies shounen that was on tv. I also seen alot of weird obscure pretty garbage anime on the Syfy network that I don't remember lol.
May 9, 2022 7:52 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Well, I've been watching it on TV since I can remember, but after a while it was all reruns, and nothing new got licensed. For years that was really all my engagement with anime until I rediscovered it when Naruto came out in my country. I binger the hell out of Naruto when I was around 13-14, watching the sub 'cause I couldn't wait for the dub. Death Bote, GITS, Ph my goddess followed and the rest is history.
I'll be 31 by October.
BatoKusanagiMay 9, 2022 8:18 PM

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
May 9, 2022 8:02 PM

Aug 2021
I watched A Silent Voice and a few episodes of Saiki K when I was maybe 14, but I didn't get into anime until I was sixteen and my friend kept talking about My Hero Academia, so I finally decided to give it a shot. I'm a huge sucker for superhero stories of any kind, so I was immediately hooked, and after I finished binging it I just kept asking for recommendations and watching more shows. Fun times.
May 9, 2022 8:04 PM

Oct 2016
Being part Japanese I've always watched children anime like Anpanman but I started watching it seriously as an art form around 2010 on Youtubers with stuff like Lucky Star
May 9, 2022 8:08 PM
Jan 2022
The first image of an anime that i remember is from that film Ponyo from the Ghibli Studios, but the first anime that i really watched was Death Note. After this phenomenal anime, i started watching more and more, and now i'm here, posting in a topic of MAL instead of sleeping for my class
May 9, 2022 8:10 PM

Jan 2022
I watched some few series in our local TV when I was a kid, and my friends would recommend me some shows when I was 13. I just got addicted and started to watch a lot of series thanks to the pandemic.
May 10, 2022 1:33 AM

Apr 2022
One day I turned on the TV, and there were catgirls! Never looked back since. ๐Ÿ“บ๐Ÿ˜บ
May 10, 2022 5:43 AM
Apr 2022
My cousin first introduced me to anime
For a long time i knew about anime but didnt wanna watch it.My cousin and friend convinced me to watch an episode of mha. I fell in love with anime as soon as i finished the episode
May 10, 2022 7:27 AM

Jul 2019
I started reading manga at a really young age way before I even knew about anime. I was 12 years old when one of my friends mentioned a show she liked, which happened to be my first anime...It was Diabolik Lovers lmao

I quickly learned not to trust her anime taste, but after that I kept watching anime :D

May 10, 2022 7:32 AM
pookie

Nov 2015
when i was 12 i was bored and decided to take "what should be your first anime" or something along the lines, got another and it got me hooked so here i am, still here
May 10, 2022 7:58 AM

Mar 2018
In 2013 a friend recommended Black Butler, I started reading the manga online and started watching the anime. My actual first anime was Pokemon when I was a kid (early 2000s). Now I'm 23 and still watching anime and reading manga.
May 10, 2022 8:00 AM
Oct 2017
I started watching anime at around 12 years old and still do now at 28.. Dragon ball z was the one that got me into it. Its weird cause I had no resistance for watching but it seems some people lowkey trip about me watching but never tell me but are passive aggressive about it. Its dope and I like it and manga
May 10, 2022 8:20 AM

Nov 2021
i was 10 when i watched pretty rhythm: aurora dream on animax. wish it didn't get shut down.
May 10, 2022 8:25 AM

Nov 2020
my very first one I was like 7yo saw it on TV simply because I was bored at home. what got me interested was when I was around 12, I was once again bored but now with a broken phone. then I literally just peeked through what my sibling was watching then ever since then I watched a good amount of shows up until now. as for the manga I started a year after just because one of the shows I watched ended in a cliffhanger and I was hooked.
May 10, 2022 8:36 AM

Aug 2020
I can’t remember what age I was but it was while ago, it was before 2015 and I’m currently 17 now. My first anime was Attack on Titan although only season 1 was out at the time, I rewatched it so many times as well as SAO. I started watching it because my favourite youtuber at the time always talked about attack on titan so when I saw it on Netflix I tried it out and loved it, that youtuber also made me watch kill la kill. Well I guess I also watched Pokemon when I was younger, but AOT was what got me into watching anime.
Please stop, I don’t want to see any more Dekugo๐Ÿ˜ญ
May 10, 2022 9:27 AM

Jul 2016
I was 13 and someone in my class told me attack on Titan was great, so I watched it.
Penguins are funny
May 10, 2022 9:44 AM

Jul 2021
i am really surprised to find so many adults here. 16 here
started when i was 14-15 during pandemic period.
saw death note , continued watching
May 10, 2022 9:55 AM

Aug 2021
I obviously started with Pokemon but didnt know it was anime.

The first two animes a friend showed it to me on his phone, high school of the dead. It was kind of the guilty pleasure when he came over cuz all the boob jiggling was hilarious to my 3rd grade brain. Around that same time I started watching Naruto and seeing memes just through the internet and it basically became my gateway to anime.

After many years of naruto in 2020 I kinda just went into anime and binged a lot cuz of covid, starting with the big hits like demon slayer and AOT.
May 10, 2022 10:04 AM

Apr 2021
Right after graduated from high school, 2020. Was pretty much bored after watching the same movies on TV so I tried to watch Kotonoha no Niwa and the rest is history. Before that, I knew about anime/manga e.g. Bleach, Naruto, Detective Conan, etc. But didn't bother to get into it. Now, most of the time I read manga or manhwa because it's more practical but I'll try to watch more after this semester ends because college took over most of my schedule.

(ใ€œ๏ฟฃโ–ฝ๏ฟฃ)ใ€œ

May 10, 2022 11:34 AM
Like, nya.

Jun 2013
Discarding things I watched as a babychild before I knew what anime was (Sailor Moon, Digimon, Pokemon, Card Captor Sakura), my first anime was either Inuyasha, Bleach or Full Moon wo Sagashite at age 12ish.

I watched them illegally posted to YouTube uploaded into 3 parts per episode, just like god intended โ˜†ใ€œ๏ผˆใ‚ใ€‚∂๏ผ‰

แƒฆ last.fm แƒฆ

May 10, 2022 11:55 AM

Aug 2018
It all started with Cardcaptor Sakura and Rurouni Kenshin when I was around 4 or 5 years old.
May 10, 2022 2:23 PM
โ€ข Mafumafu Fan โ€ข

Apr 2018
Ok so this is actually a pretty funny story of how i got into anime.

Its 2017, I am 16 years old and in high school. Netflix just uploaded a movie named "Death Note", sounded like an interesting title so i decided to watch it. After watching it i actually liked it, but reading reviews online everyone was bashing it, and saying how it did the anime dirty. So I, someone who hasn't watched a single anime to that point. decided to do my own research and watch Death Note.

And now im here.

AMQ: StephWeeb
Discord: drsteph
Join me on AnimeMusicQuiz!
May 10, 2022 3:27 PM

Sep 2018
Liked Pokémon as long as I could remember. Started reading manga not related to Pokémon when I was 10, mostly CLAMP stuff. Started watching anime on YouTube in shitty little parts when I was 12. Accepted my fate as a dweeb loser when I was 13.
May 10, 2022 3:34 PM

Feb 2018
Back when I was 5-6 y/o & started with Pokemon, Digimon, DBZ, OP. Nothing was as exciting as getting up early during the weekends watching 'cartoons' on TV.
May 10, 2022 4:34 PM
Aug 2021
At that time I only watched Naruto, Naruto Shippuuden, Boruto & Detective Conan on TV then I found out that there were many other anime besides that
May 10, 2022 5:49 PM

Feb 2014
Primary schooler catching Dragon Ball and Pokemon on TV.
May 10, 2022 6:18 PM

Aug 2020
May 10, 2022 6:31 PM

Aug 2020
When I took my laptop to be formatted, and it returned with some animes on it.

:)
I love bread

May 10, 2022 6:41 PM
Jan 2021
I started watching regularly around 10-ish maybe. I watched SAO with my sister because she had heard abt it and thought we'd like it since we were and still are very into video games. I then moved on to Black Butler which, despite being relatively mediocre from a modern standpoint, I fell in love with and the rest is history.
My "regular watching" is watching in on and off cycles tho; I stop for a little bit and then binge and stop and so on but I digress.
May 10, 2022 6:46 PM

Sep 2018
I include shows like Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Digimon, etc. so I started with those when I was 6. Also watched DBZ at the same time but I'd never seen the original Dragon Ball so I didn't really understand what was happening, I guess I just liked the characters and the cool art/animation which seemed novel and fresh to me at the time.
โ™ช MAL card collector and anime challenge enjoyer
โ™ซ My alignment is Chaotic Stupid™

โžฆAnime Challenges
โžฆCard Collection
โžฆDELIVER HERE!
May 10, 2022 6:56 PM

Oct 2017
IDK if I can count on Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon because back in the days I was just a kid and I had no idea what anime was, I watched them as regular ''cartoons''.
Anyway if we count them so I started at the age of 8 when DBZ aired in North America.

I first had an idea of the medium as a whole when I was 14yo, when I got to watch subbed anime such as Full Metal Panic and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, I was heavily influenced by my elder cousin, who had a fucking ton of anime VHS, she lived nearby and I would visit her so I could get to watch them, Ghost in The Shell was my first movie, then Akira, The Animatrix, etc.

She also recommended Serial Experiments Lain and other cyberpunk/psychological fiction.

So I'd say I started watching anime at the age of 14, and my cousin's taste pretty much influenced my genre taste as well.
''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
May 10, 2022 8:59 PM
May 2021
I started at 15 with Naruto. I had this mindset that no anime could be better than Naruto till January 2021, when I started AOT.
ASOIAF is the best piece of fiction

May 10, 2022 10:27 PM
Sep 2021
I started at 10yo, for my 10th birthday my aunt got me the first manga volume of dbz (not dragon ball, I also started with Raditz). To say I was hooked was an understatement, although it took me another year before I actually watched an anime series in full, and that one was Death Note
I'm almost 18 now and I'm still into anime, can't get enough of it
Jun 3, 2022 7:32 AM
suii

Dec 2018
i'd have vhs's when i way was young and i ''watched'' but i wasnt really into it like later. time passed then i mustve found it on yt when i was 12 by accident. dont remember if i watched rosario + vampire or sekirei first. ( but back then i gamed alot so i watched like 2, then i'd guess 7-8 months passed, then i went on youtube again and just searced my school days or something, cause i wanted to hear people talk about their school days.

then i found school days in parts on youtube. it infuriated me though the mc, so much i took a 2 year break after. (or i mightve wathed SD first, then them after, i dont remember, but i remember the 2 year break) but then one day i said to myself, wait, what was that called again? then i found anime on anime sites and pretty much started watching.
evangelionfanJun 3, 2022 7:58 AM
Jun 3, 2022 8:19 AM
Jul 2018
I love reading all of these responses!!

I started watching anime when I was 5 with a bunch of ghibli movies (my favorite used to be Ponyo), but I don’t really count that as my real start! I count my real start when I watched Black Butler at the ripe age of 11 (I know. Jesus Christ LMAO). I was so incredibly cringey with my pentagram necklace, tattoo choker, and my “not like other girls” mentality, but I was so happy back then! Not that I’m not happy now, but I was so little and I was very cringe, but I wouldn’t change that phase for the world lol.
Jun 3, 2022 8:33 AM

May 2020
First anime i watched was Slamdunk on TV when i was just a 7 year old.
It was also the first anime i completed.

Watched a few shounens like OP, AOT, Detective Conan, Yugioh, & Rurouni Kenshin but that was it back then.

Then i started taking anime watching seriously by late 2018 & never looked back since.

Im currently 23.
" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

Jun 3, 2022 8:53 AM

Jul 2021
i started at the age of 17...
randomly found some youtube videos on anime...
my first anime was 'maid sama'
Jun 3, 2022 8:55 AM

Feb 2021
idk I explored my curiosity, that's a first.
Jun 3, 2022 9:41 AM
Feb 2014
I started at about the age of 7-8 years old, we used to have a Parabolic antenna at our apartment block and it could catch foreign TV channels, so i watched a lot of German television growing up, at that time TV channels like RTL II used to broadcast a lot of anime, that's how i watched my first anime.

I believe it was probably either Anime Sanjuushi, only briefly before it was replaced by another anime or Attack No.1, but i didn't really follow either of them as they didn't really interest me, so the first anime i was actually invested in and followed every day religiously, was either Ai no Wakakusa Monogatari or Alps Monogatari: Watashi no Annette (I can't remember which one was broadcasted first, but i loved and watched both of them daily, every day!)

The first anime i watched, however, after i learned what anime really was since back then i didn't know they were even called "anime" was: Shin Shirayuki-hime Densetsu Prétear!
I was probably 15 years old at that time, i think.

Now i'm an adult, i still watch anime and enjoy most of the anime i watch, my parents and grandmother were always ok with it (I even watched many anime together with my mother and some with my grandmother too!) only my sister told me to grow up and stop watching cartoons all the time, nedless to say i just ignored her and continued to watch anime lol.

My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» If ONE Piece is this long, imagine if this was 100 piece

jhzs0029 - Jun 15

24 by henmwats »»
2 minutes ago

» Would you quit Anime if Anime caters to the West?

Dragevard - Jun 15

44 by SwordBreaker36 »»
9 minutes ago

» Anilist Or MyAnimeList ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Attackergoal - Jan 19, 2021

380 by Ezeeql »»
13 minutes ago

» Would you watch gender swapped Mushoku Tensei?

rohan121 - 2 hours ago

9 by Catalano »»
15 minutes ago

» Do you have animes you've rated 5 and under on your completed list, why? ( 1 2 )

melodyily - Jun 15

70 by Animeinsight101 »»
16 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.