Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Case Study of Vanitas
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 27, 2021 11:35 PM

Sep 2018
Esmera said:
Not sure what the manga readers are complaining about. I just watched the episode and read the manga chapters that got adapted and I think the anime adaptation was pretty good. Yes, some explanations about the world formula and some parts that shed a bit more light on Vanitas's character were shortened/cut-out, but it's not such a big deal that makes the anime "suck" compared to the manga. Please stop making such a fuss when Bones is doing such an amazing job compared to most other manga-to-anime adaptation I've seen.

...Anyways, great episode. I really liked the conversations between Noe and Vanitas and some of the comedy bits actually made me chuckle a bit. Didn't think Roland would make an alliance with our two MCs so quickly but I like his character so I'm looking forward to seeing more of him. Thought it was a weird way to end the episode, but well, it did make me curious to see what Vanitas is planning next lol.
Manga readers truly are sad, pathetic people. "Oh noes, this chapter wasn't adapted perfectly page by page, better have a cry now!" Clowns....
Aug 28, 2021 1:13 AM

Mar 2021
So Roland is actually a funny guy 😅 Finally, we learned about some of Vanitas' past, that's why he was familiar with the pathways in the catacombs. Lastly, the hostage act by Noe was so funny 😂
Aug 28, 2021 1:25 AM

Mar 2020
GakutoDeathGlare said:
Esmera said:
Not sure what the manga readers are complaining about. I just watched the episode and read the manga chapters that got adapted and I think the anime adaptation was pretty good. Yes, some explanations about the world formula and some parts that shed a bit more light on Vanitas's character were shortened/cut-out, but it's not such a big deal that makes the anime "suck" compared to the manga. Please stop making such a fuss when Bones is doing such an amazing job compared to most other manga-to-anime adaptation I've seen.

...Anyways, great episode. I really liked the conversations between Noe and Vanitas and some of the comedy bits actually made me chuckle a bit. Didn't think Roland would make an alliance with our two MCs so quickly but I like his character so I'm looking forward to seeing more of him. Thought it was a weird way to end the episode, but well, it did make me curious to see what Vanitas is planning next lol.
Manga readers truly are sad, pathetic people. "Oh noes, this chapter wasn't adapted perfectly page by page, better have a cry now!" Clowns....
Thats rich considering its coming from a clown himself. (I wonder who was the person who created 2 useless threads)
234MannanAug 28, 2021 1:49 AM
Aug 28, 2021 2:25 AM

Sep 2018
234Mannan said:
GakutoDeathGlare said:
Thats rich considering its coming from a clown himself. (I wonder who was the person who created 2 useless threads)
LOL, OK guy with three Jun mangas, six Jun characters and Jun herself in his favourites lolololol. You are NEVER to be taken seriously in these threads again. Touch grass, Jun doesn't know you exist pal
GakutoDeathGlareAug 28, 2021 2:33 AM
Aug 28, 2021 2:38 AM
Oct 2007
This is shaping out to be so good for me personally. Every episode gets better and better.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 28, 2021 4:11 AM

Apr 2015
Nice little battle between Roland and Noe at the start wise nice to see, but somehow I expected more.

The interactions between Noe and Vanitas never fail to amaze me, they are entertaining to watch. I love how Noe turned Vanitas' idea to take a hostage into Vanitas being the hostage, they make such a great duo. The way he threw him away, only to kick him mid air was pretty great. Just like that it was enough to make a proper talk with Roland and Noe's face of making a new friend was s. Now they will together investigate the doctor.
Aug 28, 2021 5:40 AM

Mar 2020
GakutoDeathGlare said:
234Mannan said:
LOL, OK guy with three Jun mangas, six Jun characters and Jun herself in his favourites lolololol. You are NEVER to be taken seriously in these threads again. Touch grass, Jun doesn't know you exist pal
Are okay buddy?I thought clowns never got angry but i guess i was wrong. On a serious note your reaction is priceless and cute(The classic tantrum kid yeah i love that so much)
And correction 17 jun characters. And so sad Jun doesnt know i exist...what a pity.. i should commit suicide now hehe....
(On a serious note take your own advice buddy because touching grass is very beneficial for your mental health)
Have a good day
Aug 28, 2021 7:50 AM
May 2018
It was an ok episode I guess. I have read the manga and this one was fine for me. And I do agree, they did cut some stuff from the manga and I really wished that the fight scenes were longer. But, I'm not going to outright say that this is a bad adaptation just because of that. I was underwhelmed yes, but I'm still putting my hope in the crew. I'm just thinking that they're trying to end the first cour with the Catacombes arc, so they can allot the whole of the second cour, or maybe more than that, to the whole of the next arc which is astoundingly long, in my opinion. And from what I see, the first three arcs seems like it's just an introduction of the main cast with which our story is going to revolve, with the exception that we meet new ones along the way. It's also quite good to hear that anime-only watchers are finding this one good. That being said, this is not a perfect adaptation, but this did uplift me today when I was not feeling well.
Aug 28, 2021 8:15 AM
Mar 2021
Laplace_kun said:
DaPlane said:
It gets worse and worse each episode. The show has less of a sense of direction then zoro.

>Introduces curses and mentions bourreaus and chasseurs in first episode. Vanitas and Noé's partnership enters 1st stage. Endgame foreshadowing.

>Shows a bourreau hired by Ruthven in second episode. Luca mentions about brother. Hints at Human-vampire war and a participator at it, Jeanne(2nd episode)

>gives Noé's past flashbacks. Mentions the other village children. Domi uses collar on Noé, which might seem random(3rd episode)

>Explains the world and astermite. Shows Vanitas' character. Explains why Domi uses collar (4th episode)

>Gives a part of Noé's past and explained all his motivation from earlier episodes. (5th episode)

>Naenia mentioned in reference to Charlatan. Ruthven mentioned in 2nd episode introduced. Vampire powers and how they work foreshadowed when Vanitas praised Veronica eyes. Hints about Vanitas' character shown in past episodes now given. Vanitas and Noé's partnership enters second stage. Endgame foreshadowing. (6th episode)

>Sets up relationships between main characters. Gives a big revelation to the core of Vanitas' personality. (7th episode)

>As a follow-up to the events so far, makes Luca's position clear, and his brother mentioned in 2nd episode. Hints at many crucial plot points. Shows the devil-may-care attitude of Vanitas setup in previous episodes. Gives more insight into Vampire politics post war (mentioned in earlier episodes). Chasseurs come to the picture, mentioned in 1st episode. Vanitas' focus on emblem shown. (8th episode)

>Explains the role of chasseurs, explains vampire powers hinted in episode 6, uses Vanitas' string used only in episode 1 so far, doesn't waste time answering Vanitas' connection to the church. Also explains why he has treated humans and vampires equally with indifference. (9th episode)

I can give nearly a hundred of other connections and how focussed the plot is, but seems like people would rather have a "I want to collect some Dragon balls" or "i wanna become Pirate King" so I start making friends, train, go to adventures and fight the villain before having the well planned swimsuit episode.

Even having no "direction" for the most part, Gintama has managed to a masterful job of crafting one of the most beloved franchises. So this is pretty much an empty complaint.
you could still have connections to a story but it doesn’t even feel like it’s going anywhere after the 6th episode
Aug 28, 2021 8:24 AM

Nov 2019
DaPlane said:
you could still have connections to a story but it doesn’t even feel like it’s going anywhere after the 6th episode

I have mentioned the direction of the story through my episodic events. Unless you are the dense type, you should have figured out already how focussed it is to reach certain points, while not loosening down on character buildup and world-building.
And I also mentioned how a story with apparently no direction can spew fire because it knows what it's doing.

Sigh. Suit yourself.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Aug 28, 2021 9:33 AM

Oct 2016
It still makes me laugh how out of the infinite numbers in existence, Vanitas is called No. 69 lmao. Maybe there's a hidden meaning to it that I don't know of besides unga bunga sex.

Great episode! A shame about the cut content though, there were some pretty important characterization in there. But I guess they can always just show it later on a different scene or maybe even flashbacks.

Action was fantastic though, Noe vs Roland was great and Noe and Roland becoming friends was also great. Really looking forward to the next episode! Fuck that bitch ass Moreau. That was a beautiful cliffhanger though lmao.
Aug 28, 2021 10:49 AM

Oct 2020
Not bad, but not my favourite, I liked the previous eps more. seeing how the anime adapts each chapter this will likely end up adapting chapter 23.
Aug 28, 2021 11:14 AM

Jun 2021
Jeez, does every freaking character in this show have to be over the top?

I don't mind the occasional funny face/shouting for comedic relief, but they were going way overboard in this episode. It's to the point where it was quite annoying.

Aug 28, 2021 3:17 PM
Sep 2020
The ost in this episode is just for me, I have the mangas and was watching along with looking at the manga and wow did bones do an amazing job...
Aug 28, 2021 4:03 PM
Mar 2021
Laplace_kun said:
DaPlane said:

I have mentioned the direction of the story through my episodic events. Unless you are the dense type, you should have figured out already how focussed it is to reach certain points, while not loosening down on character buildup and world-building.
And I also mentioned how a story with apparently no direction can spew fire because it knows what it's doing.

Sigh. Suit yourself.
the entire story so far has been going point a to b to c with sprinkles of a story connecting them. With the show only having 3 more episodes i don’t see the show actually following through the events without a second season
Aug 28, 2021 5:30 PM

Sep 2018
sKyBlazer08 said:
It still makes me laugh how out of the infinite numbers in existence, Vanitas is called No. 69 lmao.

It's what we've come to expect from Jun, just more silly cheap tricks that the fangirls lap up. Of course there's meaning there.
Aug 28, 2021 7:27 PM

Oct 2019
xspacedoll said:
i felt like this episode just swept the serious back story of vanitas under the rug... so ganna for sure listen to everyone and read the manga.

Wait till the anime’s done, then read the manga. The episode was pretty good after rewatching it.
Pandora Hearts is the best manga ever made and deserves an anime reboot
Aug 29, 2021 1:38 AM

Apr 2014

"Hoero, Zabimaru!" oh wait, wrong anime.
Aug 29, 2021 2:00 AM

Oct 2008
someone said this episode had 18 animation directors!? w0w...
well the action seems a bit sakuga?...i thinks...
5/5.
lolz they well all through the mess but they should have said so in the first place in order to not let this mess happen...but y'know oh well...haha

Aug 29, 2021 2:15 AM

Sep 2015
DaPlane said:
Laplace_kun said:

Sigh. Suit yourself.
the entire story so far has been going point a to b to c with sprinkles of a story connecting them. With the show only having 3 more episodes i don’t see the show actually following through the events without a second season

Don't worry, it is scheduled to have two cours - so 24-25 episodes in total. Although since the manga is still on-going, we will have to wait if they ever decide to adapt more than that.
Aug 29, 2021 4:25 AM

Apr 2020
Vanitas, Noé, and their regular fights are so entertaining to watch. really liked the animations of that chain sword and the music. The hunters are after them and they're quarreling all the way. Number 69 :))
I like to see those Vanitas flashbacks (in the manga) but... meh... it's fine.

Aug 29, 2021 10:34 AM
Nov 2020
I’m enjoying the series but I feel like I need to go back and rewatch everything now that so many new characters are appearing and we’re seeing more world building; kinda forgot what our main goal is in all of this lol
Aug 29, 2021 6:22 PM
Dec 2011
Dr. Moreau! lol Hard to say if Vanitas really likes him or is just trying to gain some advantage by being docile. Anyways, really liked the interaction between Roland and Noe. Def some strong Yaoi vibes lol no homo tho
Aug 29, 2021 8:06 PM
Mar 2020
Is the manga really that great? I mean I don't really know if I should read the manga because the anime is already enjoyable itself.
Aug 30, 2021 12:32 AM

Jul 2015
fav episode so far!
Aug 30, 2021 1:03 AM

Sep 2015
Arshad-san said:
Is the manga really that great? I mean I don't really know if I should read the manga because the anime is already enjoyable itself.
In my opinion the manga is better in terms of information, art and pacing. But the anime has its perks as well, and both are great. So if you already like the anime, and don't really like reading manga then no need. There are some details missing in the anime that serves as extra world building/characterisation, but if you'd really like to know them later you can always read it then!
Aug 30, 2021 7:36 AM

Jul 2019
I really like Roland for some reasons. I dislike a lot of the characters in this anime so I'm happy about that. lmao Glad he's now an ally.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Aug 30, 2021 11:47 AM
Mar 2021
Laplace_kun said:
DaPlane said:

Sigh. Suit yourself.
ight im tired of arguing have a nice day ig
Aug 30, 2021 11:49 PM

Jul 2016
Man, Roland talking about God and shit while not listening to Vanitas and Noé sure was annoying. Good thing he kept his mouth shut the needed time for Noé to explain himself tho. Now they are BFFs.

OK episode overall. More comedy-focused from what I was expecting but hopefully, things will get more serious next week. Especially since it seems next episode will explore Vanitas' apparently turbulent past.
Aug 31, 2021 9:16 AM
Aug 2020
Hey y'all i really love this anime but i don't know where to read the manga do you guys know where can i read it or what app should i use?
Aug 31, 2021 9:39 AM

Mar 2020
Arshad-san said:
The manga is really that good. However the anime is a very good adaptation except maybe episode 9 but thats only due to cut character dialouges which the directors might have rearranged(I guess i overreacted.)(Art is debatable tbh I personally love the manga art more except for the fight scenes and some colourful backgrounds in the anime and everything so u can say they are pretty much equal but manga art is very consistent and impeccable). You cant really go wrong with either though if u appreciate little monolouges a darker atmosphere and more dialouge then yeah manga.Overall manga so far is > but the anime is still close with its music,couourful art and direction. Again i repeat you cant really go wrong with either
234MannanAug 31, 2021 9:44 AM
Aug 31, 2021 10:29 AM

Nov 2014
Kobeanie said:
There were a lot of hints in this episode about how dark Vanitas's past was, from the reveal that he was a human experimentation subject, to the fact that he's mentally detached himself from that truth, to the way he views kindness as a weakness.

I think Noe & Roland are gonna be a great pair cause they both have that child-like wonderment to their personalities.

I just love how completely unpredictable this anime is. This episode took so many turns I didn't expect it to and that's something that happens every week.
Are you katy_potaty on Disqus? I just saw a reply in the comment section VERY similar to yours, if not the same xD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2021 10:31 AM

Nov 2014
SebCyrSC2000 said:
Serawii said:

please dont say that, im a manga reader and i dont think the anime is that bad, besides you might be making anime onlies drop it and they wont check the manga either
let them enjoy it, and believe it or not, most of them do.
if they enjoyed the anime, they will definitely check the manga after if finishes airing

Ok, I changed my mind. This episode was really good. I rewatched it and really liked it. DON’T DROP THIS ANIME PLEASE.
Which one is it? Is the anime bad or is it not? xD

And also, I read the manga and I think it's a fair adaptation.
Aug 31, 2021 12:10 PM

Oct 2019
TheOneOfSeven said:
SebCyrSC2000 said:

Ok, I changed my mind. This episode was really good. I rewatched it and really liked it. DON’T DROP THIS ANIME PLEASE.

The anime is not bad.
Aug 31, 2021 12:15 PM

Nov 2014
SebCyrSC2000 said:
TheOneOfSeven said:

The anime is not bad.
That 180 turn though after the reply Serawii wrote.
Aug 31, 2021 12:38 PM

Oct 2019
TheOneOfSeven said:
SebCyrSC2000 said:

The anime is not bad.
That 180 turn though after the reply Serawii wrote.

Well, I watched it again after that reply and liked it a lot more the second time around. End of story.
Aug 31, 2021 1:54 PM
Mar 2021
heartfiliaaa said:
Hey y'all i really love this anime but i don't know where to read the manga do you guys know where can i read it or what app should i use?

You can buy it here:
https://yenpress.com/series-search/?series=yen246-the-case-study-of-vanitas&supapress_order=publishdate-asc

They update the English version the same or almost the same time with the release in Japan (if author not hiatus or release new volume then every month).

That's the legal one, but the illegal one, you can search in google and website that have it will appear.
Sep 1, 2021 11:34 AM

Mar 2017
TheOneOfSeven said:
Kobeanie said:
There were a lot of hints in this episode about how dark Vanitas's past was, from the reveal that he was a human experimentation subject, to the fact that he's mentally detached himself from that truth, to the way he views kindness as a weakness.

I think Noe & Roland are gonna be a great pair cause they both have that child-like wonderment to their personalities.

I just love how completely unpredictable this anime is. This episode took so many turns I didn't expect it to and that's something that happens every week.
Are you katy_potaty on Disqus? I just saw a reply in the comment section VERY similar to yours, if not the same xD

I am indeed haha I usually just copy & paste my comments from disqus to MAL :P
Sep 3, 2021 4:46 PM

Jul 2013
I love how comedic this show is. Seeing Vanitas and Noe banter immediately lifts my mood!
Sep 4, 2021 6:09 AM
Jul 2018
Good episode, but I personally expected more since it had 18 directors
Sep 4, 2021 3:55 PM
May 2010
10 out of 10.
This series is so enjoyable to watch!
Sep 10, 2021 4:19 PM

Jul 2019
Well, they outed Roland himself lmao. And they get him to join the team. Done obviously in the most fun way possible. Good job Noe on that part lmao.

Now time for Dr and no. 69 (nice) reunion.
Sep 11, 2021 2:30 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
The music between the first fight was similiar to the Fate music. Atleast in my opinion. Good episode!
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Sep 11, 2021 2:43 AM

Mar 2020
CorayyAnime said:
The music between the first fight was similiar to the Fate music. Atleast in my opinion. Good episode!
Because Yuki Kaijura is invloved?
Sep 14, 2021 1:19 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Vanitas as an experiment, oof, that Roland guy is sure a special one, and same for Moreau from what we can see..
Oct 19, 2021 2:11 PM

Aug 2017
What a weird guy, I like him lol. This anime is getting better and better.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 14, 2021 5:27 PM

Oct 2019
"If we explain the situation and clear up this misunderstanding.." (after the blonde psycho Captain said multiple times that no vampire gets out of there alive...). Noé is intolerably naive and yet -somehow- his naïveté was effective in that case. Quite incredibly it worked with the blonde fanatic.

For a while I was confused and thought that the Chasseurs who were chasing them were all modified by Dr Moreau. Vanitas said that Moreau's 'Chasseurs' were enhanced humans and by that I thought he meant that green drug they injected themselves with before battle.

However it appears all Chasseurs take that drug, so Moreau's 'Chasseurs' must be enhanced in some other way. Since one of them took out three dhampirs they must be quite strong. And Moreau looked like he had at least two of them. So the next episode will also feature quite a bit of battle. I think Vanitas wants to kill Moreau. Will he succeed?

The battle scenes of the episode did not disappoint at all.
Jan 10, 2022 11:22 PM

Mar 2014
lmao the noise Vanitas made when he saw the two goody-goodies cooperating.

Vanitas became the hostage when he pissed off Noe loool why does their chemistry just work so perfectly sometimes?

Nice that we're finally learning a bit more about Vanitas and some of the reasons for why he is the way he is
Jan 13, 2022 12:45 PM
Jul 2018
I enjoyed the episode and I remembered I enjoyed watching this show. We got to learn more about vanitas' past and an unexpected team up happened. I also laughed at the funny moments I think.

It's been awhile since I watched episode 8 Aug 25, 2021 8:12 PM this time was taken on Vanitas no Karte Episode 8 Discussion. I don't know the reason. Maybe I wanted to wait for more episodes and then watch them or I forgot the show.

I tried to remember badly what happened in episode 8. It's been a few months since episode 8 so I had to think while watching the episode.
Mar 13, 2022 11:33 AM
Feb 2022
The end was very interessting
But the rest of the Episode was kinda boring
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Dubbed versions

Vanitas_BMkin - Jun 4

2 by Reevansingh21 »»
Jun 4, 7:38 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2021

126 by nikki05 »»
Apr 15, 10:30 AM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2021

242 by Sasutaschi »»
Apr 6, 4:48 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2021

158 by wallus81 »»
Mar 25, 7:29 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2021

148 by wallus81 »»
Mar 24, 12:54 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.