Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 4, 2021 10:35 PM

Mar 2020
Open - I dont care what anyone thinks of me so I have no reason to want to hide the fact I love anime.

If anything I take pride in liking anime and want others to enjoy it as well so I would tell people. I have anime tattoos its not like I am hiding this shit.
-Ecliptix-Jan 4, 2021 10:44 PM
Jan 4, 2021 10:38 PM
Jul 2018
I dont casually go on telling people that I like anime but most of my friends know about it and if someone randomly asks about whether I watch anime or not I wouldn't deny it.
Jan 4, 2021 10:43 PM

Jan 2021
I to an open fan because I don't really care about what other people think about me or anime, there was a time that while I was doing chores I was singing Shinzou wo Sasageyo and my sister just plainly told me "it's hard having a weird brother" and I just said, "it's hard having a normie sister" she just didn't respond anymore.
Don't be afraid to express yourself because you'll find more friends if you both know you have the same interest.
Jan 4, 2021 10:45 PM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
I don't talk about it as if I wanna convert people but I don't avoid the topic if it pops up. I may end up withholding details depending on who I am talking to
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Jan 4, 2021 10:47 PM

Mar 2020
Miyamura_IA said:
I to an open fan because I don't really care about what other people think about me or anime, there was a time that while I was doing chores I was singing Shinzou wo Sasageyo and my sister just plainly told me "it's hard having a weird brother" and I just said, "it's hard having a normie sister" she just didn't respond anymore.
Don't be afraid to express yourself because you'll find more friends if you both know you have the same interest.

Heh I didnt grow up with my sister and we dont see each other a lot and when she saw. all my comic book oriented, anime oriented, video game oriented tattoos she said "You are so fucking weird I wish I could disown you" mostly joking. And I replied "Dont talk to me you fuckin normie"

I will openly talk about how much I like characters like Renge from Non Non Biyori or how much I liked Zero Two from Franxx to people who have no idea what I am talking about. I have to listen to them talk about reality TV and shit so they can suffer through my anime babble.
Jan 4, 2021 10:51 PM
Aug 2020
I'm open about it because I don't really care about what other people think about me. Also if you are open about it than you can meet more people with similar interests.
Jan 4, 2021 10:52 PM

Oct 2018
I think anime as well as nerd culture in general have become more acceptable in the last 10 years. During my childhood, outing yourself as a nerd, was socially akin to a death sentence and you’d become bully target No.1. So for that reason I always have been more or less a closet anime fan.
Jan 4, 2021 10:57 PM

Mar 2020
MaceChan said:
I think anime as well as nerd culture in general have become more acceptable in the last 10 years. During my childhood, outing yourself as a nerd, was socially akin to a death sentence and you’d become bully target No.1. So for that reason I always have been more or less a closet anime fan.

I was never closeted about it but when I first got into anime people were pretty harsh about it. I already got a lot of shit for being into comic books and computers and gaming back then so it was just more on the pile. So it can annoy me when its now mainstream and accepted and "cool". Still has a lot of detractors though people still think its weird but its not as bad as it once was.
Jan 4, 2021 10:57 PM
Dec 2017
I never tell people about that stuff unless I'm absolutely, positively sure they're also into anime. Anime is more accepted now, but I still get nervous when mentioning it. I use to lose friends, because they would find out that I'm an anime fan. I'm retrospect, those people were never good friends in the first place. Still makes me anxious after all these years.
A psychic dwarf escapes from a prison. It was a small medium at large.

(×__×)
Jan 4, 2021 11:08 PM

Jan 2021
-Ecliptix- said:
Miyamura_IA said:

Heh I didnt grow up with my sister and we dont see each other a lot and when she saw. all my comic book oriented, anime oriented, video game oriented tattoos she said "You are so fucking weird I wish I could disown you" mostly joking. And I replied "Dont talk to me you fuckin normie"

I will openly talk about how much I like characters like Renge from Non Non Biyori or how much I liked Zero Two from Franxx to people who have no idea what I am talking about. I have to listen to them talk about reality TV and shit so they can suffer through my anime babble.

Fuckin same everyone in our house except my mother hates me because of my anime, and I'm like fuck yall imma blast my Jpop or anime ops and not care about what you think
Jan 4, 2021 11:10 PM

Jan 2021
Neimaj said:
I never tell people about that stuff unless I'm absolutely, positively sure they're also into anime. Anime is more accepted now, but I still get nervous when mentioning it. I use to lose friends, because they would find out that I'm an anime fan. I'm retrospect, those people were never good friends in the first place. Still makes me anxious after all these years.

Good thing you told them you like anime and left you alone because it's hard pretending to be someone you are not, go find a real friend that will accept your likes and dislikes
Jan 5, 2021 12:01 AM

Sep 2020
I prefer being a closet fan. People I know who watch anime usually watch isekai and action, I'm afraid of telling them what anime I watch. But I sometimes tell others what anime I have seen so we can discuss about topics.
Jan 5, 2021 12:42 AM

Apr 2017
I'm pretty open, but only those who are the same age or younger. I'm sure people older than me i know whom have no idea about anime would judge me on the spot.
It's nice to be important but it's even more important to be nice. - Dwayne Johnson
Jan 5, 2021 1:13 AM
Jul 2018
Every person under like 35 has watched anime in my country, it's really popular. So yeah I talk about anime the say way I talk about, like, The Last Airbender and BoJack Horseman for examples.
Jan 5, 2021 1:16 AM

Jun 2020
Open, I could care less and my friends are accepting anyway. You like what you like, who cares
Jan 5, 2021 1:17 AM

Mar 2016
Neither? If it comes up in conversation somehow, I won't hide it. But I never have a reason to tell people I watch anime.
"Wonder is always difficult until you forgive whoever destroyed your love of surprises"  Edmond Manning

Jan 5, 2021 1:19 AM

Oct 2020
Closet. I'm saying my anime side for when I snap so I can gain superpowers

Jan 5, 2021 1:23 AM

Sep 2008
I have a full cabinet of anime merch on display. I need a new one.
I talk about anime to my friends all the time. I said to, not with.
but I don't bring anime up in front of others, including my family.
and I don't watch anime with anyone in my room.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Jan 5, 2021 1:32 AM

Aug 2013
Open, if someone makes fun of me or judge me for that it just means I've found someone else to avoid.
Jan 5, 2021 1:38 AM

Nov 2016
Definitely open, not like I care about what others are going to think anyways, and my close friends do watch anime too.
Jan 5, 2021 1:41 AM
Sep 2020
If anime pfp on facebook and discord counts - i am an open fan, but honestly i don't think that letting everyone know about what I do in my freetime is the most important things i can do. I tell about it only when someone actually asks.
Jan 5, 2021 2:14 AM

Jun 2016
too open like "hey nice to meet you, my name is edo and I watch anime"
Jan 5, 2021 6:32 AM
Jul 2018
I’m neither open nor closeted. Where I go, the things that I value go with me. You may notice me listening to some vocaloid rap or an anime opening / ending song, my succubus phone case, my anime laptop cover, my scale figures in the living room, my dakimakura body pillows, my anime video games, my anime shows I’m currently watching, and you may even notice me around on MAL forums.

Wherever I go the things that I value go with me. And I will defend those things if you attack or judge me for them. This goes for everything. I may defend black people when some racist anime fan says something about them. I may defend anime when some black person says these cartoons are dumb. And so on.

removed-userJan 5, 2021 2:25 PM
Jan 5, 2021 12:44 PM

Aug 2009
kimshuuri said:
Are you a closeted fan where most people don't know about this aspect of your life?
Or do you let everything out in the open? And is there a specific reason for you being closeted or not?

Edit: sorry if I pushed anyone's buttons with poor wording lol but also take a chill pill B)

My family knows I watch anime. I see no reason to hide it. I like the stuff I watch and they like the stuff they watch.
Jan 5, 2021 12:51 PM

May 2018
I am quite opened about liking anime...but nobody actually cares thus no big difference for me.
Jan 5, 2021 1:07 PM

Dec 2018
I’m pretty open about it but wouldn’t go up to a stranger and ask them “do you watch anime?”

Jan 5, 2021 1:10 PM

Dec 2018
Lisa_Cosplay said:
I wear my anime shirts like everywhere so pretty much everyone knows I like anime at this point
And because I'm a girl no one cares
I wore my ahegao hoodie to school multiple times and people told me it's cute instead of judging
Literally no normal person would cross that line. Please. Stop.

Jan 5, 2021 1:23 PM

Sep 2020
Mostly closet since I don't think people would realize that fact about me but close friends know about it.
Jan 5, 2021 2:28 PM
Jul 2018
Cotaweb said:
Lisa_Cosplay said:
I wear my anime shirts like everywhere so pretty much everyone knows I like anime at this point
And because I'm a girl no one cares
I wore my ahegao hoodie to school multiple times and people told me it's cute instead of judging

I’ve seen plenty of people walking around on the streets with anime clothing and bags. They all looked like perfectly normal people to me. Maybe you are just insecure.
Jan 5, 2021 2:36 PM

Dec 2018
BasedAkko said:
Cotaweb said:

I’ve seen plenty of people walking around on the streets with anime clothing and bags. They all looked like perfectly normal people to me. Maybe you are just insecure.
I definitely do envy their confidence but never in my life will I wear an “Ahegao hoodie”.

Jan 5, 2021 2:37 PM
Jul 2018
Cotaweb said:
BasedAkko said:

I definitely do envy their confidence but never in my life will I wear an “Ahegao hoodie”.

Then get the hentai haven one instead. (Yes I have seen people wearing hentai haven T-Shirts and hoodies).
Jan 5, 2021 2:41 PM

Dec 2018
BasedAkko said:
Cotaweb said:

Then get the hentai haven’t one instead.
Uh... I guess that’s better than an ahegao one lmao

Jan 5, 2021 2:59 PM

Jul 2015
I'm pretty open about it. Quite a few of my friends and coworkers are also into it so there's no point in hiding it. It's nice talking about anime too.
Jan 5, 2021 3:02 PM

Oct 2017
I guess open? I have a Mushishi wallpaper for my laptop I usually took to school. I don't really own any public merch (more I just don't see the point to it) but I have had no issue reading manga in public. I don't feel embarrassed for liking anime or manga. I don't usually talk about it or my hobbies that much unless it's with a known friend though.
Jan 5, 2021 3:03 PM

May 2013
I have no shame, I let everything hang in the open. Why waste my time on people who aren't supportive of me and my hobbies?
Jan 5, 2021 3:16 PM

Jun 2017
Hmm while I don't go out there publicly announcing that I watch anime, it's not as if I hide it. I just don't consider it necessary to be so open about my interests/hobbies in general tbh, anime included.

It really depends on the situation and the people involved. There are certain situations in which I guess I wouldn't care, and some others where I really wouldn't want anyone to find it out. There are even times when I'm actually really enthusiastic and go out my way to let others know it.

Jan 5, 2021 3:17 PM
Dec 2017
Both really, my siblings know about it my close acquaintance know about it, but that's all.

If I met new people and they talk about anime, then I would want to talk about anime too
Jan 5, 2021 3:19 PM

Nov 2014
when i'm asked about my hobbies i talk about anime too,why should i hide it ? its like saying im embarrased to say i like to watch spider-man or watch tv shows
and i also have some friends who likes in it so
Jan 5, 2021 5:38 PM

Jul 2019
I feel as if I am in between both being a closeted and open anime fan. Like if you were to ask me if I watched anime then I would say yes, but going further beyond that? I don't really know.

It's just that many (not all but many who are more "open" about their love for anime) people around my age (high school, teenage, college, etc) rather being anime fans they are more or so weebs, and the whole stereotype of kids naruto running and just generally being kind of "off" is still very much alive (at least in the American public school system).

I have friends who also watch anime and we have/do watch the same shows, but to be honest I pick who to talk about anime with.

but i am on an anime forum right now so...
everwynJan 5, 2021 6:47 PM
Swagernator said:
God damn, another gay thread upon us.
Jan 5, 2021 5:42 PM

Jan 2020
Closet with the exception of family and close friends

Jan 5, 2021 6:09 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I'm an open anime fan.

01Sharjeel said:
Stop referring yourself as an otaku. It's annoying.
Why is it annoying to you-- enough to order someone to stop doing so-- when someone refers to themselves as an otaku?

BasedAkko said:
Cotaweb said:

Hm... in this case, I wouldn't call anyone insecure for raising a brow at it. There are actually a few places where you are banned from wearing the ahegao hoodie specifically-- mostly conventions.

If people want to wear it, I would maybe recommend having a change of hoodie or at least be prepared to be asked to leave places since establishments will have the right to do so. Other than that though, if they want to wear the hoodie then I say let them go for it.
SwiggyJan 5, 2021 6:53 PM

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Jan 5, 2021 7:33 PM

May 2020
I'm a closet fan but if people ask for recommendations I will openly give my recommendations
Jan 5, 2021 7:35 PM

Apr 2020
Im open even like 4 years ago when it was wierd i was still open about it.
Why?
Cuz anime is fricking great, and that 3% chance that Im talking to someone that also watches anime.
Jan 5, 2021 7:41 PM

Jul 2020
Haven't watched Black clover or Fairy tail but if I DO watch them both and I like them I'll be open about them in the community.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jan 5, 2021 9:02 PM
Dec 2019
open fan (not obsessed or anything). I tell people I like anime and literally no one cares so yea there's no reason for me to be secretive
Jan 5, 2021 9:07 PM
BL Connoisseur

Oct 2008
Open, because I'm not ashamed of what I love. Anime is literally a huge part of my life, it's impossible for anyone who knows me to not know about it. X'D Plus, I wear anime shirts and even Tanjiro's haori basically everywhere, and I don't care about what people have to say or think about it. I'm living my best life lmaooo

I even have some figures displayed on my office desk, and most of my colleagues and students know that I'm into anime. I've found some IRL friends that way, too.

People are ALWAYS, ALWAYS going to find something bad to say and/or think about you, even if that isn't related to liking anime. Since it's impossible to please everyone and make everyone like you, then just like what you want and be who you want to be! No need to care about what other people think, they literally have NO impact on how you decide to live YOUR life :D Yeah, yeah, I know - I went off on a cheesy tangent. But I think this is something people who like anime secretly should know.

Like what you want and be proud of it!
gwendal738Jan 5, 2021 9:11 PM

I am forever your most devoted believer.

Jan 6, 2021 3:13 AM

Apr 2018
I'm open, it could lead to a person who also likes anime! But I don't scream it out, I simply just answer honestly if the question is brought up.
Jan 6, 2021 4:41 AM

Oct 2015
Well I joked often about me being a hikikomori when I'm not working and to ask them to buy me an anime body pillow. Perhaps I'm just bold enough to do that.
Jan 6, 2021 4:57 AM

Feb 2019
pretty open nowadays. wasn't always the case though
Jan 6, 2021 5:08 AM

Aug 2018
I'm open to an extent.

If someone doesn't like, or just not interested in anime in general, then I'm not going to bug them with it.

I bring it up time to time, maybe, as I would a hobby - because anime is my hobby!
╔════════════════ • • ════════════════╗
Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind
I want to get off, but I keep riding the ride
I never really noticed that I had to decide
To play someone's game, or live my own life
- Get Free, Lana Del Rey

╚════════════════ • • ════════════════╝
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Create Your Perfect Staff:

APolygons2 - 3 hours ago

30 by APolygons2 »»
3 minutes ago

» Nominate 1 character from your Favorites that would be the best at Butt Sumo, and nominate 1 that would be the worst

IpreferEcchi - Jun 17

15 by Vaturna »»
5 minutes ago

» Do y'all fw Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

IssyBoy - Jun 17

76 by Kwanthemaster »»
19 minutes ago

» Would you watch gender swapped Mushoku Tensei?

rohan121 - Jun 17

38 by deg »»
19 minutes ago

» Last Reminder For Manga Round Registration

Ryzenn11_ - 23 minutes ago

2 by Ryzenn11_ »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.