Forum Settings
Forums

from what minimum score are you willing to watch?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 3, 2020 1:37 PM

Nov 2016
From now on I refuse to watch anything below a 9 tbh.

And mark my words, by 2030 it will be officially the new cut-off score for casuals.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 3, 2020 1:40 PM

Jun 2007
There are currently only 557 titles rated 8 or above, so restricting yourself to a floor of 8 will leave you running out of options before too long. Given that your average rating of 8.29 is considerably above the MAL average, you'll probably find most shows in the 7s range acceptable, depending on their individual genres and premises.

I usually don't notice scores until after I've taken an interest in a title and added it to PTW, but I imagine scores in 6.2-6.4 range and below might make me have second thoughts. Even in those ranges, there could easily be shows that're generally trashy, but are in a genre that appeals to me in an "even when it's bad, it's good" way. And I'm not above checking out some entries specifically because of their "legendarily bad" reputations.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
May 3, 2020 2:01 PM

Aug 2015
From 5 above, but if I am really interested in a show I usually don´t care.
May 3, 2020 2:11 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
Don't watch to MAL score, that's other ppl taste not your.

They failed several times already with series like Never Promised Neverland, Vinland saga, and Mob Psycho. It's good but it didn't feel very impressive compare to the mid-late 00s and early-mid 10s.

Your taste don't align with other so don't judge anime by the rating. Look at the genre/synopsis
May 3, 2020 2:16 PM
May 2016
depends on what you mean. if it's the average ranking on MAL, I'm usually skeptical if the rank is 6 or 5, but I'm still going to try it. As for personal ranking, I only do 3, 6, or 9 for series that are incomplete. I don't watch 3s, I give 6s some time, like three episodes or so, and I almost always keep up with 9s
May 3, 2020 2:26 PM

Dec 2017

scores are an indicator of how a community feels about a show, but is not a defining factor. Especially when tastes are different and not everyone likes the same thing. You may like a show that the community has rated a 6.5, and you may dislike a show that the community has rated a 8.5+. Do your own research and find shows you enjoy and look beyond the score.

And besides, a lot of people here don't use the scoring scale properly anyway.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

May 3, 2020 2:28 PM

Sep 2008
my own. mal's scores don't mean shit. stop relying on them.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
May 3, 2020 2:36 PM

Oct 2018
I deliberately seek out the anime with the lowest scores and watch them. Many are so terrible, they're awesome.
████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████
██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
████░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░████
████░░▄██████████░░░░░░██▀░░░▀██▄░░████
████░░███████████░░░░░░█▄░░▀░░▄██░░████
█████░░▀▀███████░░░██░░░██▄▄▄█▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░░▄▄▀░░░████░░░▀▄▄░░░░░██████
█████░░░░░█▄░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░█▄░░░█████
█████░░░▀▀█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀██▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░▀█▄░░█░░█░░░█░░█▄▀░░░░██▀▀▀▀
▀░░░▀██▄░░░░░░▀▀█▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▀▀░░░░▄█▀░░░▄▄
▄▄▄░░░▀▀██▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄███░░░▄██▄
██████▄▄░░▀█████▀█████▀██████▀▀░░▄█████
██████████▄░░▀▀█▄░░░░░▄██▀▀▀░▄▄▄███▀▄██
May 3, 2020 2:40 PM
Dec 2018
Pylia said:
I watch shows from any average score, as there can be found great anime from almost the entire scale as long as you know how to interpret the overall ratings and their correlation with your taste.

An obvious example being older shows having tendentially a lower score on average, while titles with a heavy mainstream(young audience) focus happen to have higher scores based on how their corresponding audience utilizes their rating scale.

You know what would be interesting. What if there an analytic of people’s rating. Like you can see data of the demographics and then see how they might like or dislike an anime. Like we could see a breakdown of score based on age, gender, or even based on mean anime score.
May 3, 2020 2:42 PM

Sep 2016
Other people's score is trash.

I wouldn't watch something I think I won't give at least a 6 to, but well, if you see my list, sometimes I get to watch something unexpectedly bad
bruh
May 3, 2020 2:44 PM
Dec 2018
How I decide I want to watch an anime is from recommendations(I love Gigguk’s seasonal anime videos. I like to watch those and I always get sold on one or two of the seasonal anime), and when I’m on this site, it’s based more on description and sometimes from looking though other people’s watch anime list who have similar tastes to me. On occasions I’ll look at the reviews.
May 3, 2020 2:45 PM

Dec 2014
I usually go from 8 upwards, that way I'm usually never disappointed with the series.
May 3, 2020 2:46 PM
Apr 2020
Honestly, I can safely say that I've never looked at the rating of an anime before I watched it. I see why people do it but I've always found ratings to be quite misleading. So honestly any rating is fine.
May 3, 2020 2:58 PM

Jul 2019
I mean, I don't really check mean score. Usually, I only check reviews and the synopsis and based on that judge how much I would rate it. I will watch anything that I think would at least be worth a 7.

I've even turned on the "hide score" option in the MAL app, it helps me not get persuaded by the masses ;p
I'm looking for recommendations, always. Please message me if you have any really good (maybe relatively unknown) anime for me!
May 3, 2020 3:01 PM
Jul 2018
0. I have no respect for myself or my time.
May 3, 2020 3:39 PM

May 2015
I guess 6.00 is my minimum score, anything with 6.00 or above is fine, anything bellow it is also fine sometimes, it doesn't really matter.
May 3, 2020 3:39 PM

Feb 2016
I will watch any anime if they interest me because ratings are subjective. Average scores lower than 7 irk me slightly, since my scores are lower than the average for most anime, but it never deters me from watching. I haven't watched many under 6.5 though, and for those that I have watched, they've given me all kinds of grief...so maybe 6.5 is my unofficial cutoff point.
May 3, 2020 3:44 PM

Dec 2012
Other people's scores don't decide whether I watch something. The plot description and whether it sounds interesting to me does. I usually drop something if I am the one rating it a 5 or below though.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

May 3, 2020 3:47 PM

Apr 2015
Probably 7.5. I used to not look at scores but after I started to because I have less spare time to watch anime and needed to be more picky, I found my average score going higher and dropping series much less.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
May 3, 2020 3:53 PM

Jul 2016
5 is almost always the lowest score I give to an anime I finish nowadays, though 4 could be the case sometimes.
though If I watch the first couple episodes and decides to drop the anime from various reasons, I give it, almost always, between 4-2 (Never saw something that deserves 1 though)

"We become what we think about"

If you want to succeed in life, plant the next goal you want to achieve in your brain, and work toward achieving that goal. write as specifically as you can the path you need to go through to get to the goal, and If that is really what you wished for, work toward it, and you will achieve it.
Blog

May 3, 2020 4:03 PM

Sep 2017
I admit I'd be reluctuant to watch a show scored under 7, except if it's shorts episodes which are usually rated lower even if they're good
May 3, 2020 5:16 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
guestkun said:
Fario-P said:

The title literally asks "from what minimum score are you willing to watch?" and not a "what are some good anime to watch" kind of question, not to mention that this is a thread placed in Anime Discussions and not in Anime & Manga Recommendations forums. Not to be rude, but I don't see what's so surprising about not getting recommendations when this seems more of a regular discussion thread than a recommendation thread.

since I'm too lazy to cut it down to just your response to me...

Frickin cut it down, don't be a lazy hack.

x.O; perhaps I just wasn't clear -.- no one was giving examples of anime with lower than 8 that are just as good if not better than 8+ anime. There was no "such as..." or "to prove my point..." It was simple repetition of what was said by the person who posted right above them.

No you were perfectly clear, that's why I gave recommendations right after addressing your post.
May 3, 2020 5:19 PM

Jan 2020
Anything below a 6 just doesn't look good at all. So I try to stay above 6.
May 3, 2020 5:23 PM

Apr 2020
People actually choose anime based on MAL scores...? Crazy. I just watch whatever
May 3, 2020 5:27 PM

Jul 2013
I'll try almost anything from morbid curiosity, as long as it's not hentai.

I'm more hesitant about things rated ridiculously highly.

By the way, you should really watch this cool 5 minute anime called "Tenshi no Drop." It's a hidden gem.
May 3, 2020 5:29 PM

Aug 2016
Any, I've seen low scored series that are decent and highly scored series that are trash for the brain dead masses. MAL scores don't equal realistic quality, so I don't see why anybody should use them as a basis for what to watch.

When in doubt, check it out.

Think of all the trash movies that made hundreds of millions, popular opinion is meaningless and hardly any measure of quality.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
May 3, 2020 5:30 PM

Jul 2017
not at all i do not trust the scores anyway because most of the ppl here have shit taste
May 3, 2020 8:41 PM

Oct 2019
Anything above a 5 seems credible to me because I see that as an "average" show. I don't think I've purposefully visited anything below a 6 cause I'm still kind of in that stage where I want to catch up to all the popular and praised shows. I might eventually try a really low scored show because I generally don't agree with most ratings of shows on MAL
May 3, 2020 9:02 PM

Oct 2019
i completely disregard 5s, but depending on the genre, i don't necessarily find high scores to be indicative of whether or not i enjoy it.

for example, A Destructive God Sits Next To Me is rated at a 6, but i thought it was really funny. Anohana, Clannad, and Kimi no na Wa are all high 8s/9s, but i didn't particularly enjoy them.
May 3, 2020 9:21 PM

Sep 2014
I used to rather watch shows with 8+ ratings, atleast older ones (airing scores are always changing) and only watched lesser scored shows when I got them recommendated or for a specific genre. But I noticed I quite like some 7 or even 6 shows more than 8, 9 or 10s. And some top scoring shows highly disappointed me (cough FMAB cough). So I dont care as much. Though when I just want something new to watch I still go by score tbh. How else would I randomly chose a show?
I dont care as much when a seasonal turns out generic by why would I watch a generic seasonal from 10 years ago? Thats why I bother about scores even though they are likely not true for me.
alshu said:
I never check the average score - not sure why people are doing it...desperate to be part of the herd?
Obviously so you dont waste your time. When 10 people before you get burned and tell you fire is hot there is a chance they are lying, you are a targaryen or you get burned too. If the risk is worth it depends on the score I think.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 3, 2020 9:26 PM

Dec 2016
From 1.00.

MAL scores don't decide for me.
May 3, 2020 9:45 PM

May 2019
I stopped caring about score ever since Kimetsu no Yaiba got a 8.81.

So i'll just watch it and see if it is good.

May 3, 2020 10:09 PM

Aug 2015
I'll watch just about anything since I feel like I need to understand what a bad anime (yes there are objectively bad anime, its usually when the sound becomes cancer or the animation just fails outright) is or something I don't like. Then I can make better decisions on what I will like. Also it can be fun to rip something I don't like to shreds.

Roevhaal said:
Considering Skelter+Heaven(1.89) is better (less bad? more watchable?) than half of the MAL top 50 I have have absolutely no faith in the avarage rating and would never use a cut off point based on avarage ratings. It might be a minor influence at times but I'd never use it as an important tool to decide what I watch.

I see we are going for the dark horse approach. I can respect it.
May 3, 2020 10:34 PM
Nov 2018
if the anime is very popular then its genre is more important than the rating itself like those in top 100/200 in MAL as most popular anime are rating 7 and above . When it comes to less popular anime , generally a score of 7 below a nope for me.
May 3, 2020 10:46 PM

Nov 2019
I have to admit that if I see that an anime has a score lower than a 7, I usually investigate a little to see what are the problems that people has encountered. But I end up watching it anyways if it triggered my attention.
May 3, 2020 10:51 PM

Oct 2017
Imagine letting MAL scores dictate what you watch
May 3, 2020 11:05 PM

Aug 2018
Anything below like 6.5, at this point so many people rated it low scores that there's probably a valid reason for it, and the series itself probably has some issues, above around 6.5 is where the show becomes watchable
May 3, 2020 11:08 PM

Oct 2017
To be honest, I don't really look at the scores of the anime before I watch it. I only watch it if I find the anime's concept interesting.
May 4, 2020 1:07 AM

May 2018
Comander-07 said:
When 10 people before you get burned and tell you fire is hot there is a chance they are lying, you are a targaryen or you get burned too. If the risk is worth it depends on the score I think.

- How about being cautious and not put your hand directly in everything you don't know?
- If 10 people before me have told me that DBZ is the best anime ever created I would stop listen to their preferences about anime. (Actually I did exactly that.)
May 4, 2020 1:33 AM

Apr 2020
I don't let ratings factor into my watching habits because all people are different, but when I'm pressed for time and don't want to waste it watching bad anime I'll say that the lowest I'll go is a 6 or 7.
May 4, 2020 1:35 AM
Mar 2017
A 4 is the highest score I’ll give something I regret watching. 5s and 6s are shows that had enough good that they’re at least interesting, 7s are shows that are enjoyable but not great, and 8s and above are shows that genuinely impress me.
May 4, 2020 1:37 AM
Jul 2018
I used to avoid anime under 7. But since I have witnessed some anime under 6, I will humbly accept to watch any anime (except for hentai) in any score.
May 4, 2020 2:36 AM

Oct 2018
I usually browse netflix or crunchy roll for interesting things to watch cus i know seeing mal scores will subconsciously get to me. Though when i do search for anime on MAL I don't really watch anything below a a low 7. Unless it's like an OVA or special cus they tend to be low for some reason.

youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
73 6f 6d 65 74 68 69 6e 67 73 20 6f 64 64 20 61 62 6f 75 74 20 6d 79 20 70 72 6f 66 69 6c 65 0d 0a
May 4, 2020 5:18 AM

Aug 2009
i pretty much watch whatever looks interesting, i don't really care that much about the score

also to people that don't watch low rated shows, pls watch some badly rated shows so you'll appreciate better shows a alot more
May 4, 2020 5:21 AM

Jan 2020
Usually I don't really watch shows below 6.5 score on MAL.

May 4, 2020 5:22 AM

Mar 2020
mal has shit taste its scores dont concern me
May 4, 2020 5:40 AM
Dec 2018
From 6

But If The premise seems interesting then i'm can Give it a try.
May 4, 2020 5:42 AM

Mar 2019
i'll watch anything if it seems interesting enough, MAL scores aren't really indicative of anything tbh
May 4, 2020 5:43 AM

Feb 2010
There is no minimum score. It all depends on the kind of show, my own preferences, how popular it is and who watched it. You need to know how to interpret scores, if you just treat them like they mean the same for every show they are not gonna be that useful.

For example when you're like me and you enjoy independent, experimental, artsy kind of shorts, there is no minimum score because MAL in general does not like those, but still watches them because they're a quick +1 to people's lists. So almost all of those have scores under 6, many even under 5. You'll find an amazingly creative gem next to some extremely generic, forgettable music video sharing the same score.

You'll find one of my top 3 anime from last year in the 5.xx range because it made the mistake of being simulcast to the casual seasonal audience, while being the opposite of what they like - short, episodic, artsy, experimental. There's a few hundred active people on MAL (if not less) who are into that kind of stuff, and most of them probably appreciated the show as much as I did, but the other ~3000 seasonal people who only watched it for a quick +1 to their list, without actually being interested in what it's trying to do, dragged its score in the 5.xx range.

And that's just one example of how scores need to be interpreted. First you need to accept that scores mean nothing for shows that don't already interest you based on their synopsis etc... Never watch something that sounds boring to you, just because of the score. Scores normally can tell you, with some margin of error, how the people who were the target audience liked the show. It almost never tells you how people who weren't interested in it liked it, because those are in the minority among viewers (unless it's an exceptionally niche show that got simulcast, like the example I mentioned in the last paragraph.).

Other score related things worth keeping in mind are which genres are popular and which aren't among anime fans - the former will tend to have inflated scores because they attract a lot of casuals with inflated scoring systems, while the unpopular types of show will tend to have lower ratings because not many people watch them and those who do tend to be more veteran fans with lower average scores, using the full scale. That goes for most shows with like less than 10k or 5k viewers, but especially experimental and independent shorts as I mentioned, as well as oldies that aren't extremely well known classics, and just niche shows in general and to some degree also any show whose artstyle deviate from the traditional, generic anime designs.

So yeah, taking score into account makes sense, but only if you know how to interpret them and not just take them at face value no matter what the show.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 4, 2020 6:10 AM

Feb 2018
Depends on the length. Two to four minute short or something like that? Sure, I'd watch it at really any rating since it isn't taking up much of my time. However, if it's a show or a longer movie, even I'm doing it for an AWC challenge, I'd be hesitant to watch it if it's below a 6, and even more reluctant if it's below a 5. I'll still watch between a 5 and 6 tho (who could pass up the experience of watching School Days...), and I'm fine with anything above 6 since they're often at least fine (with a few exceptions).
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Do you feel shameful listening to cutesy Anime Song?

Dragevard - Today

29 by traed »»
18 minutes ago

» Which big name anime(s) were you late watching or still haven't watched?

IpreferEcchi - Jun 2

35 by dankmitris »»
21 minutes ago

» How do you celebrate your favorite franchize even if doesn't pump up any material? Any customs or events?

Catalano - 11 hours ago

14 by SgtBateMan »»
22 minutes ago

» Rate my top 10 shows of all time!

Iron_Leopard - 2 hours ago

9 by Phloup »»
33 minutes ago

» What's an anime people consider messed up that has no effect on you

isseixkoneko - May 26

42 by dreamingneon »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.