Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 18, 2018 9:14 AM
Sep 2015
Studio Pierrot's trying to go for Studio Bones' block style, but I believe this is not the optimal point between fluidity and detail. The loss of detail has greater impact than fluidity gain.

Animation besides, Asta is as great as ever, now two of Diamond Kingdom's soldiers have heel-face turn that can even make a comedic relief. (And yes, I still love Mars despite his heart belong to Fana)

And the biggest mistake in this episode is the lack of Petit Clover ;)
Dec 18, 2018 9:20 AM
Aug 2018
Fantastic episode the fight is insane!

Best episode yet ez
Dec 18, 2018 9:41 AM
Apr 2014
Thinghest32 said:
Viz said:

Hmm rewatch how Asta fly around 6:37-6:44 minute

In the anime for reasons of spectacularization it was all exaggerated.

Exaggerated or not, it's a mistake.

Even so far in the manga, Asta still doesn't show the ability to fly at whim using Black form. He relies heavily on Black Meteorite attack to guide him.
Dec 18, 2018 9:46 AM

Apr 2016
Wtf animation
all the hype and then this bullshit
Dec 18, 2018 9:52 AM

Jun 2017
Thinghest32 said:
AwesomeAlfie27 said:
Meh

No emotion, pointless motivation,

Um, what do you mean? Do you think there is no motivation behind it?

Yes, it's not when Asta is at his lowest, The guy even jokes about it; This doesn't happen with emotion, it just happens because a Witch set Asta up, it's not an earned moment, i feel Nothing because it is shallow

waste of a plot point(You mean to tell me that such an important transformation is used against a nobody and has no build up whatsoever?,

[quote]The nobody in question is the equivalent of a captain with a very powerful ability that practically no one could stop and that was just strengthened.
Do you think little? What construction must there be? it is clearly an enemy made to be the victim of Asta's new power.[\quote]

Again, this is big for Asta, it changes everything he's ever done and it finally explains What the hell is that sword
Does the fight happen with his rival?No
Does the fight happen with a well-developed villain who is Asta's contrary?No
Does the fight happen with an evil yet charming villain who you can't help to love to hate?No
Does the fight with a clichèd villain that has the "I use people" mentality(executed poorly i Might add) and that was put there randomly at the end of this arc?Yes

I watched the fight, i didn't experience it

That's your problem,

Yep, i watched a nice fight, but it was Nothing more
Everybody can just watch 2 people fight, but if you don't care or if you're not able to care it remains 2 people punching each other, and that is the worst thing a fight scene can be
May our sweet and Merciful Madoka be with you
Dec 18, 2018 9:52 AM

May 2018
Oh shit, Asta may have kicked Ladros' ass, but he become the Queen of Witches puppet, so will Yuno be around to help him 'cu'z imo Asta could have been the reincarnation of the Demon?

ya know instead of them moving to the last member of the Midnight Sun it's gonna be the Queen of Witches for the time being.
Dec 18, 2018 10:02 AM

Apr 2014
Viz said:
Thinghest32 said:

Even so far in the manga, Asta still doesn't show the ability to fly at whim using Black form. He relies heavily on Black Meteorite attack to guide him.

Dude they just took liberties to make the fight cool. Not really a big deal. Same thing happened in One Punch Man with Saitama vs Genos.
Dec 18, 2018 10:04 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
The storyboarders went batshit insane for this episode, holy!! The exaggerated and over-the-top feeling elevated the fight. Some of the fight was hard to follow, mostly because some cuts lacked the amount of key frames or in-between frames it needed, which made certain moments choppy. But that didn't interfere with the experience because the hard-to-follow nature is what made the fight feel more unreal. It's not the best and it could've been better, but it's still Black Clover's best episode, with the episode literally being non-stop sakuga.

Even the comedic moments like Asta's body hurting, or simple moments like the demon form taking over or Asta's body being controlled, were all supported with a lot of different animations going on. It makes everything feel much more dynamic that how the series normally is.

Hopefully every cour features one sakuga-heavy episode. The change is style is what makes these episodes more memorable. It's kinda like Naruto, where when you start an episode and see a much more simplistic art-style, you know the animation's gonna be dope.
Dec 18, 2018 10:04 AM
Jan 2012
The story was good. The episode flowed well. Even the fighting and scene composure was good, but the art was just too messy for my liking. It felt like someone painted some of the backgrounds and special effect visuals with microsoft paint tools. This style can work, but it felt poorly executed and honestly out of place for this anime. It's weird how all these anime try to have edgy fight scenes by experiment with animation techniques in the middle of a show.
Dec 18, 2018 10:17 AM
Nov 2018
Viz said:
Thinghest32 said:

Asta follows the mana of Laros, and since these in the soul levitates without aid he follows him,
Dec 18, 2018 10:20 AM
Apr 2018
lmaoo how tf people say this has good animation??? speedlines, cgi, barely any background art..
Dec 18, 2018 10:25 AM
Nov 2018
AwesomeAlfie27 said:

Yes, it's not when Asta is at his lowest, The guy even jokes about it; This doesn't happen with emotion, it just happens because a Witch set Asta up,

Asta was dying.

The queen has only given help, nothing more-

[quote]
Again, this is big for Asta, it changes everything he's ever done and it finally explains What the hell is that sword

Does the fight happen with an evil yet charming villain who you can't help to love to hate?No
Does the fight with a clichèd villain that has the "I use people" mentality(executed poorly i Might add) and that was put there randomly at the end of this arc?Yes

Sorry but where is it written that it must happen as you say? Perhaps you do not remember that in Naruto the first use of the fox was on Haku?

It will not be a clash with the rival, but against a very strong enemy, is linked to Auction in some ways (Ladros if you think it's nothing but a version of its steroid syndic) on the fact that it is poorly built I remind you that Black Clover is always was a very fast souls, even the queen witch if for this reason it is present from (relatively few episodes), also Vetto at the end had the sole function of being the enemy of the temple arc etc.

Everybody can just watch 2 people fight, but if you don't care or if you're not able to care it remains 2 people punching each other, and that is the worst thing a fight scene can be
Even if we talk about the protagonist who overcomes his limits and beats an invincible enemy?
Dec 18, 2018 10:28 AM

Mar 2015
howamI said:
lmaoo how tf people say this has good animation??? speedlines, cgi, barely any background art..

Are you blind?

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/65607
MightyM16Dec 18, 2018 12:02 PM
Dec 18, 2018 10:39 AM
Apr 2018
MightyM16 said:
howamI said:

Are you blind?

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/65509

how does that disprove me??? it has everything i listed before, speedlines, cgi, and barely any background art.
Dec 18, 2018 10:43 AM

Aug 2018
That was probably the worst animation I have ever seen in my life!!!
Been waiting ages for this and THAT was the delivery?!
Dec 18, 2018 10:53 AM
Mar 2015
The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
Dec 18, 2018 11:01 AM

Jun 2017
[quote=Thinghest32]
AwesomeAlfie27 said:

Yes, it's not when Asta is at his lowest, The guy even jokes about it; This doesn't happen with emotion, it just happens because a Witch set Asta up,

Asta was dying.

Sorry but where is it written that it must happen as you say? Perhaps you do not remember that in Naruto the first use of the fox was on Haku?

It will not be a clash with the rival, but against a very strong enemy, is linked to Auction in some ways (Ladros if you think it's nothing but a version of its steroid syndic) on the fact that it is poorly built I remind you that Black Clover is always was a very fast souls, even the queen witch if for this reason it is present from (relatively few episodes), also Vetto at the end had the sole function of being the enemy of the temple arc etc.

Even if we talk about the protagonist who overcomes his limits and beats an invincible enemy?

In fact i don't like how the fox was introduced in Naruto, even though it kind of Made sense, that fight was nearly perfect for me, The only problem I had was the fox power being introduced

It's not written anywhere, but it's how you make a compelling fight
You brought up the Haku and Zabusa fight, imagine What would have happened if they randomly showed up and attacked Naruto,Sasuke and Kakashi, without confronting and establishing Zabusa and Kakashi's rivalry, it would have been shallow and just an opportunity to show off a new power, which is What this BC fight is, imagine if Asta awakened his demon form when fighting the crazy red girl or when the Witch Queen was controlling him and that transformation was Asta's way of never giving up and it would have established his growth and power

You are right about the fast pace and you are correct that it's not easy to build enemies when you move at that pace
I'd argue that the show is building Licht and whatever Vengeance is really well, but did we really need another throwaway villain that only serves the purpose to increase the power scale?The show has shown that it's capable of creating villains for one fight only, but this was just bland
May our sweet and Merciful Madoka be with you
Dec 18, 2018 11:33 AM

Aug 2014
the animation looks great :ok:
w e l p
Dec 18, 2018 11:44 AM
Nov 2018
AwesomeAlfie27 said:
Thinghest32 said:

You must take it with the manga, since the clash takes place exactly one volume after the introduction of Ladros.

If the rhythms are those you can not complain.

I'd argue that the show is building Licht and whatever Vengeance is really well, but did we really need another throwaway villain that only serves the purpose to increase the power scale?

The rivalry between the kingdom of Clover and the Diamond's reign is mentioned in early episodes.

After Mars we had three arc in which the villains were the Midnigth Sun, then the sclilling generals were introduced as the equivalent of the captains of Clover. And since you mention them you have to show them, especially considering that the first visas are defined as "scraps" replaced by a new generation (Mars and Ladros)

In this arc the villains were both the Midnigth Sun and the Diamond wizards. We had Fana and two generals, one of whom was allied with the protoagonists. So it remains Ladros. And the remaining generals have yet to be shown.
Dec 18, 2018 11:51 AM
Apr 2018
Kinda reminded me of naruto and kurama, this asta and the strange black demon... but it turns out to be totally different ( he really can control it , without having the power of friendship, more because of his will to be good), so that’s good for me...

The animation and art style....
If they planned to do it like that, for a new atmosphere and feeling with the black stuff , then that’s great
But if it was just because not enough time/ money/ etc it is a Niveau comparable to nothing I’ve ever watched before...

I think, it’s the positive point
Dec 18, 2018 12:03 PM

Mar 2015
howamI said:
MightyM16 said:

Are you blind?

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/65509

how does that disprove me??? it has everything i listed before, speedlines, cgi, and barely any background art.

You don't know what "sakuga"is at all.
Dec 18, 2018 12:05 PM

Jan 2015
Can't believe that Black Clover actually is good for once and people shit on it. The animation was godlike and reminded me of the animation changes in naruto that Pierrot did. That fight was sick.
Dec 18, 2018 12:15 PM

Aug 2017
Saiche said:
Can't believe that Black Clover actually is good for once and people shit on it. The animation was godlike and reminded me of the animation changes in naruto that Pierrot did. That fight was sick.

Though while that fights animation was very fluid and animated, Goddamn was the art fucked up as all hell.

Thankfully the art here didn't get as fucked up as the art there.
I used to be a watchmaker.
Dec 18, 2018 12:20 PM

Jan 2016
Smh MAL and retarded users, name a better combo?

The animation was fantastic, and to have that level of animation you sacrifice the background art. Don't like it? Be my guest, but don't be an idiot and call it bad animation

Anyways the fight was amazing, I tend to enjoy these kinda fights and the animation was breathtaking. More like Pain vs Naruto than Mob Psyco esque but anyways very impressive. The staff must've worked extremely hard on this so hats off for them
Dec 18, 2018 12:42 PM
Oct 2017
What the hell's wrong with the animation?! This could have been legendary!!
The producers should have really taken a week off and worked on the animation part more..,only if ...
Well, anyway, leaves a lot to imagination. Great episode.
Dec 18, 2018 12:49 PM

Jan 2009
lol at people calling this bad animation

they tradeoff or sacrifice detailed drawings/art for better animation here that is how sakuga usually is anyway and most probably because of tight production schedule

but ye episode 65 of Boruto is still the best episode of this year no doubt
Dec 18, 2018 12:50 PM

Feb 2012
I'm usually a sucker for when Shounen does the whole MC is taken over by a inner demon and loses control. (ex: hollow ichigo, naruto with the nine tails..etc) However this was kind of disappointing. The fight felt underwhelming and wasn't very visually appealing outside of a few moments.
Dec 18, 2018 1:00 PM

Jan 2008
Wasn't a fan of the sanic fast animation style they chose to go with the majority of the fight but I didn't dislike the episode. At least it was more enjoyable than most fights we've had, despite not having any idea what was going on at some points.
Dec 18, 2018 1:12 PM

Aug 2013
Since Asta apparently has anti-magic flowing within his body, why was the Witch Queen able to take over his body?
Dec 18, 2018 1:30 PM

Dec 2017
FireFistYK said:
Smh MAL and retarded users, name a better combo?

the same people that called Naruto v Pain fight bad, which wasn't
i can kinda agree that it was too fast at some segments due to the dynamics of the fight but overall it was amazing
Dec 18, 2018 1:48 PM

Apr 2015
Gotta love this kind of animation! Brings me back to Fate/Apocrypha... It may have been very fast and sometimes hard to follow, but some shots were just outright awesome! Didn't quite live up the hype it got on Social media, but I would prefer this anytime over the still images as animation that fairy tail uses... (and I am a big fanboy of Fairy Tail, but even that annoys me at times)
Dec 18, 2018 1:54 PM

Jul 2014
Hmm, this ep was ok. The animation seemed a bit off in when they were flying around and I couldn't really tell what some of the stuff were but I still enjoyed it.

Watching this ep, I had flashbacks to DB (any of them).. What with the trailing lights and mass destruction being made/ left behind.
Dec 18, 2018 2:06 PM
Dec 2018
I was so excited for this eps and then... THIS... THEY Screwed ONE EPS THAT COULD BE THE BEST OF ALL TIMES... ...with the WORST ACTION animation that I ever ever ever see in my entire miserable life. WELL DONE

i still love this eps though
Dec 18, 2018 2:46 PM

Jun 2014
Such an amazing fight, but oh god they had to fuck it up with this shit animation (or art, or whatever you wanna call it: the visual content during the fight).

And I seriously don't understand the people who praise it, it's utterly lacking in detail and it deforms the characters and environment, it's DISGUSTING.

Otherwise, the episode was awesome.

PD: You can say this is a specific style of animation, but it just looks like they were low on budget. Other fights that came before were so much better animated, like Asta vs Vetto, or Yami vs Licht.
Cazador75Dec 18, 2018 3:28 PM
Dec 18, 2018 2:48 PM

Apr 2014
The animation was the entire selling point of this episode, and to a certain extent it definitely delivered. Yes, the backgrounds were sloppy in a lot of scenes, but the kinetic energy was really good, and the fight was quite easy to follow. My favorite scene animation-wise was the one inside Asta's head,that was the best looking part of the episode.

And for all the people who think that this is animated poorly, I have a few things to say:
1. Not liking how something looks in animation =/= that it is animated poorly.
2. If you want actual bad animation look at the early episodes of this arc.
3. You probably think that mouth flaps moving with a high quality still image = Good animation, which is wrong on so many levels.
Dec 18, 2018 2:49 PM

Apr 2014
skeyupower said:
Since Asta apparently has anti-magic flowing within his body, why was the Witch Queen able to take over his body?
As she was controlling his blood (I think)
Dec 18, 2018 3:23 PM

Aug 2010
while the animation wasn't that bad, the art made it very hard to follow and made the entire fight really underwhelming...
Dec 18, 2018 3:26 PM

Apr 2014
Cazador75 said:
Such an amazing fight, but oh god they had to fuck it up with this shit animation (or art, or whatever you wanna call it, the "visuals").

And I seriously don't understand the people who praise it, it's utterly lacking in detail and it deforms the characters and environment, it's DISGUSTING.

PD: You can say this is a specific style of animation, but it just looks like they were low on budget. Other fights that came before were so much better animated, like Asta vs Vetto, or Yami vs Licht.

The details are sacrificed for the sake of dynamic movement and camera angles that otherwise wouldn't have been possible. And no this is far better than Asta vs Vetto or the other ones.
Dec 18, 2018 3:32 PM
Mar 2018
Finally the demon takes the center stage. Asta gains brand new powers and a transformation (a typical shounen trait). Although the animation according to me kind of felt off, it kept on toggling; sometimes it was sloppy and sometimes it was awesome and that includes the fight sequence between Asta and Ladros. The internal struggle for the body between Asta and the Demon reminded me the fight between Naruto and Kurama; when Kurama tried to gain control over Naruto's body ((Not saying that Black Clover ripped it off from Naruto, it's another one of shounen's old formulae when beasts and humans share the same body; kind of similar in Fairy Tail as well, though the concept was a bit different)). Nonetheless Black Clover has already carved its own niche!!!!!!!
Dec 18, 2018 3:38 PM
Mar 2018
Cazador75 said:
Such an amazing fight, but oh god they had to fuck it up with this shit animation (or art, or whatever you wanna call it: the visual content during the fight).

Z4k said:
Cazador75 said:
Such an amazing fight, but oh god they had to fuck it up with this shit animation (or art, or whatever you wanna call it, the "visuals").

The details are sacrificed for the sake of dynamic movement and camera angles that otherwise wouldn't have been possible. And no this is far better than Asta vs Vetto or the other ones.

High action packed scenes require fast pacing, if they go in for the details it slows down the frame speed, taking away the intensity and excitement from the fight scene eg: Asta vs Vetto on several occasions. So sometimes you just need to forget the details and increase the pace to create high intensity action scenes, yeah the animation gets a bit sloppy but it's up to the animator and the director how to cope up with it.
Dec 18, 2018 3:49 PM

Oct 2015
That was a good episode especially the animation.

I didn't expect Asta to act that way after the fight, he sure was goofy and the demon didn't seem to control the dummy. Wow! The queen of witches sure turned everything around and made things more interesting, I really like her antagonistic nature right now.

Great demon form by Asta, kinda remind of Meliodas though.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 18, 2018 3:51 PM
Oct 2018
otaku_nerd7 said:
Finally the demon takes the center stage. Asta gains brand new powers and a transformation (a typical shounen trait). Although the animation according to me kind of felt off, it kept on toggling; sometimes it was sloppy and sometimes it was awesome and that includes the fight sequence between Asta and Ladros. The internal struggle for the body between Asta and the Demon reminded me the fight between Naruto and Kurama; when Kurama tried to gain control over Naruto's body ((Not saying that Black Clover ripped it off from Naruto, it's another one of shounen's old formulae when beasts and humans share the same body; kind of similar in Fairy Tail as well, though the concept was a bit different)). Nonetheless Black Clover has already carved its own niche!!!!!!!

the thing with fairy tail when u say the beast in human concept. were u talking about end??
Dec 18, 2018 3:55 PM
Oct 2018
lihle808 said:

I didn't expect Asta to act that way after the fight, he sure was goofy and the demon didn't seem to control the dummy. Wow! The queen of witches sure turned everything around and made things more interesting, I really like her antagonistic nature right now.

lihle808 said:

u know hen u think about it almost every shounen protag has some form of demon in them eg naruto ichigo natsu meliodas and now asta, u can prob count luffy too since he has devil fruit abilities
Dec 18, 2018 3:56 PM

Jun 2014
Z4k said:

otaku_nerd7 said:
High action packed scenes require fast pacing, if they go in for the details it slows down the frame speed, taking away the intensity and excitement from the fight scene eg: Asta vs Vetto on several occasions. So sometimes you just need to forget the details and increase the pace to create high intensity action scenes, yeah the animation gets a bit sloppy but it's up to the animator and the director how to cope up with it.

I agree that if you have a certain budget you have to do the best you can with it to adapt the story you have in mind.

But if it becomes a choice of wether to have an animation like the one in this episode, or the one that's been present in other important battles before this, for me it's a no-brainer, I don't choose this shit. I mean it seriously, it looks BAD.

I get that everyone has his opinion, but normally it's somewhat understandable from a certain point of view, but I can't understand anyone who defends this over the traditional animation in this series.
Dec 18, 2018 4:27 PM
Oct 2016
What class of meliodas bugado is this ?? 😂😂
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 18, 2018 5:04 PM

Oct 2013
it was an ok episode... some action parts were hard to follow because of the lack of frames making it a bit choppy. but animation wise it is decent compared to the previous episodes.
Dec 18, 2018 5:08 PM

Mar 2014
idontknowsarcasm said:
holy fuck every time i see a "the animation was bad" refering to this episode i lose faith in people.

Just like I have lost faith in this MAL community ages ago
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Dec 18, 2018 5:20 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I don't watch this damn thing but was dicked down by suggested posts on Twitter to look at that fight and boy was it ugly. From the coloring to the camera angles especially the visual effects looked CHEAP. And I saw the manga art. Christ, have some standards.
Dec 18, 2018 6:45 PM

Oct 2008
That was not good animation, could not even tell what was going on half the time. It had some ok parts, but mostly looked like some cheap cgi.

Good example of what I would call good.
Dec 18, 2018 6:56 PM

Sep 2013
MADA MADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Absolutely amazing, extra bonus is that it sends up the posers who think this is bad animation because if the art style.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Blue Rose character

DarkEmperor69 - Yesterday

5 by Wenexe »»
Yesterday, 12:12 PM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 170 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2021

345 by Retrospects »»
May 28, 7:06 AM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2018

69 by thoronmi »»
May 26, 9:35 AM

Poll: » Favorite op?

infinite_Shadows - Mar 18

18 by Kizuki01 »»
May 22, 12:50 AM

Poll: » Black Clover Episode 156 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2020

57 by Vindicater »»
May 20, 5:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.