Forum Settings
Forums

What anime holds a place in your heart but wasn't the greatest?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 10, 2018 10:18 PM

Jan 2016
Naruto and One Piece, as always. I mean the quality of One Piece's anime was so...
Sep 11, 2018 3:16 AM
Jul 2018
chihayafuru
wasn't expecting to like it so much but i did
Sep 11, 2018 3:54 AM

Jan 2017
Akaneiro ni Somaru Saka holds a special place in my heart for being the first anime I hated with a burning passion lolz.

Besides I'd say all those anime I watched when I was new to the medium, like Black Bullet or Danganronpa. They aren't that great but I loved them back then and I can still enjoy them today.

"Blood and rain mixed with broken dreams flow together along the curb,
But even in the darkest corners of misery the roses bloom at sunset"
Sep 11, 2018 4:06 AM

Jan 2013
Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku, Naruto, Dragon Ball
Sep 11, 2018 4:25 AM

Sep 2014
Free! I love the characters and their interactions deeply. A lot of people misjudge it as "senseless SoL/typical KyoAni tea&cakes with guys instead of girls" and "fujobait with nothing else", but it has a story of personal development, growing up and finding your path. The sports part is indeed not as prominent as in other sports anime, but it's also done well and is aimed at shaping characters up.
Sep 11, 2018 4:53 AM

Aug 2018
Toaru no majustu no index. will always have a place in my heart
-Just roki roll!!!
https://myanimelist.net/profile/Wimp3452
If you click on that you will die
Sep 11, 2018 5:02 AM

Jul 2016
Naruto. I grew up watching it and playing the games with my friends, and I remember even bying physical manga and owning a huge poster featuring the main cast. I tried to rewatch the series, but decided that maybe it would be better if I didn't disturb the old memories. Watching clips of grown up Naruto and his friends in the newer installments is a special kind of joy, however.

Sep 11, 2018 6:08 AM

Nov 2014
Shugo Chara for sure. It's got so many issues and is often a mess, but it's just so endlessly charming; one of my fav magical girl shows even though I know there are better, more polished shows.

It's not even nostalgia too, watched it for the first time like a year ago, lol
Sep 11, 2018 6:15 AM
Sep 2018
Not the greatest popularity/rating wise? That would be K Project.
Sep 11, 2018 6:17 AM

Feb 2018
Death Note i mean I fckn love the first 24 episodes but the rest is trash. I still love it tho cuz it was my first anime.
Sep 11, 2018 7:17 AM
Jul 2018
Detective Conan and Mermaid Melody. These were my favorite anime as a child, and I still love them regardless of their quality.
Sep 11, 2018 7:22 AM

Apr 2018
There are a lot of childhood anime that hold special place in my heart.

Captain Tsubasa, Dragon Ball Z, Fighting Food On, Ashita e Free Kick, Saint Seiya, Speed Racer, Zoid, Cooking Master Boy, and Iron Kid to name some.
Sep 11, 2018 8:56 AM

Oct 2014
-Funland- said:
Nithirel said:
Mahouka. I think the whole siscon/brocon nonsense (which I also hate, to the point where it might have been my favorite series had it not been so prevalent) really prevented a lot of people from enjoying it.

But then again, the show brought in a lot of fans because of the siscon/brocon stuff.

I don't doubt that all. But I believe from a "mainstream" perspective, that sort of situation tends to have the opposite effect on people. Still a good series regardless imo.
Sep 11, 2018 10:33 AM
A Monster

May 2018
This used to be one of my favorite anime of all time. Akuma No Riddle (Riddle Story of Devil). It is still on my top 5 though
"Never Give Up Without A Fight" By Zuko
Sep 11, 2018 11:14 AM

Apr 2015
Fairy Tail, as it's my first anime I watched. It really has it's flaws, but I just can't hate it! Bring on S3!
Sep 11, 2018 1:03 PM

Sep 2018
Hetalia. Looking back, I'm not as fond of it as I once was, but I used to be obsessed. While it wasn't my first ever anime, it was the first one that I really got invested in. Most of the reason why I liked it wasn't because of the actual show, but because of the other fans, even if the majority of them were yaoi-obsessed middle school girls. I also spent an embarrassing amount of time listening to character CDs and can remember quite a lot of the songs years later. Carrot and Stick was the best, you can't argue with the facts.
Like a lot of other people's choices, it holds a place in my heart because of the memories associated with it, and not the quality/how much I would enjoy watching it today.
Sep 11, 2018 1:45 PM

Feb 2018

Anime-wise, it's Shinreigari: Ghost Hound. It's the reason I got hooked into anime in the first place.Kinda strange intro to get me to watch anime, even in artstyle.

Manga-wise, it's Pupa. I liked it's messed-up themes, quite unique too. Though the MC's school friends should've gotten more development.

Sep 11, 2018 1:53 PM
Oct 2013
Princess Mononoke. It´s a gorgeous piece of art but the writing was just bad and even 12 year old me noticed that. Regardless it gets a 9 on my rating scale since I rate solely on enjoyment and that Movie has the most soothing scene in all of Anime for me.
Sep 11, 2018 1:55 PM

Aug 2018
Inuyasha. It's an awesome anime, but it will always have a soft spot in my heart since it was a part of my childhood. I stayed up on Saturdays to catch an airing, man!

Although, it wasn't the best anime out there. Like someone else said, it was strung out. It was almost the same predictable scenario. Drinking game: everytime either Kagome or Inuyasha call out to each other's name, you lose a liver.
╔════════════════ • • ════════════════╗
Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind
I want to get off, but I keep riding the ride
I never really noticed that I had to decide
To play someone's game, or live my own life
- Get Free, Lana Del Rey

╚════════════════ • • ════════════════╝
Sep 11, 2018 1:57 PM

Mar 2014
Akame ga Kill for me. Not all that incredible but I really enjoyed it a lot.
Sep 11, 2018 2:07 PM

Aug 2015
Sailor Moon. The original animated series had little to do with the manga, they are full of fillers and the story is quite often the cheesiest thing on earth....but it was my first anime. Actually the first TV show I remember from my childhood, and i'm pretty sure it had a huge impact in shaping my personality in my most tender years.
Sep 11, 2018 2:24 PM

May 2018
Are there even people that like only and nothing less then the best, the greatest, the indisputable masterpieces?
Sounds like elitist meme.
Sep 11, 2018 2:28 PM

Jan 2017
Attack on Titan. I know that a lot of people hate this anime, but for me it have been one of the first anime I’ve ever watched and I still like it, despite all the problems that it has. I think this anime it is the best from the mainstream shows like SAO, Tokyo Ghoul etc.
Sep 11, 2018 2:31 PM
Feb 2017
Ooh BOY I'm gonna piss alot of people off with this.

SWORD ART ONLINE

While I do now think that Sword Art Online is absolutely terrible, that wasn't always the case. Back in my plebian times, I not only liked it, I loved it. Something about being a badass swordsman in a big beautiful fantasy MMORPG world really appealed to my young brain. I kept wishing I was Kirito, being able to do whatever I want in a world of possibilities, going on adventures and becoming stronger.

However, every time I have rewatched Sword Art Online since then, I've been unable to finish it. The flat and boring characters, the overpowered main character, and the HUGE ass timeskips all made the anime feel so off. The show is a terribly written mess. And the hundreds of SAO critique videos brought even more flaws to light.

I still feel slightly nostolgic towards it. I sometimes listen to the OST of sao in hopes of bringing back those feelings I felt. But the anime itself is dead to me now. It's a real shame. But it was a simpler time, when I liked pretty much everything I watched. To be honest, I kinda miss those times.
Sep 11, 2018 2:38 PM

Sep 2017
All of them,to be Honest I actually Hate Anime.
Sep 11, 2018 5:21 PM

Oct 2012
Dragon ball Z. Yu Gi Oh. Naruto.

Vampire Knight I guess. It had such a great potential all those directions it could go, but wasn't satisfied with the 2nd season n rushed ending. The manga's ending is even worse so what can I say.. ¬.¬ I feel nostalgic since I watched it 8 years ago n rewatched it a few days ago..
Sep 11, 2018 5:26 PM

Jan 2018
Naruto. It sucks but first anime I watched so nostalgia
Sep 11, 2018 5:34 PM

Oct 2010
Konjiki no Gash Bell!!/Zatch Bell! for me. I was pretty young when the anime aired on TV and it was an instant hit for kid!me. Looking back on it now I know it wasn't a great anime, or even a good one, no matter which version you watch lol but I've always thought it was a lot of fun if nothing else and it holds a lot of nostalgia for me. Plus it got me to read the manga, which is leagues better than the anime!

Other contenders would be any of the various gateway series I watched as a child, including Beyblade and Yu-Gi-Oh! Honorable mention goes to Gravitation, which is an absolute dumpster fire but it A.) was my first foray into BL and B.) still has the catchiest pop soundtrack ever.
Sep 11, 2018 5:48 PM

Aug 2017
Fairy Tail, one of my first anime. When it comes to plot, writing and fights it’s is surely not the best but I really enjoy the characters and art.
Sep 11, 2018 8:53 PM

Mar 2018
Mirai Nikki, it was the first anime I ever watched and I still like it, but I only ever see criticism for it
Sep 11, 2018 8:57 PM

Dec 2017
DxD. The show could have been less story and more oppai but that's just my 2-cents.
Sep 11, 2018 8:59 PM

Jul 2017
Beyond the Boundary. I honestly don't know why..

Crying doesn't mean you're weak.
Enduring doesn't mean you're strong.
Sep 11, 2018 9:42 PM

Aug 2017
Charlotte, yes it has some serious pacing issues and was rushed but still I liked it. The first half was enjoyable enough and even despite the fact the second half was rushed it was entertaining nevertheless.
Sep 11, 2018 9:44 PM

Mar 2018
Sailor Moon. I have such a love/hate relationship with it. It has a lot of things I would hate in an anime yet I can't help but find it charming and enjoyable.
Sep 11, 2018 9:44 PM

Nov 2016
love live and TG S1 since they brought me out of hiatus
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 11, 2018 9:54 PM

Mar 2013
I could say that about more than a few anime but I'll go with Princess Principal. Idk, something about cute spy girls set something off in me. I guess the yuri undertones also helped.

Sep 11, 2018 10:08 PM

Aug 2015
legend of the galactic heroes...........
Sep 11, 2018 10:37 PM
Jul 2017
Honestly, the first season of Tokyo Ghoul. It was the first anime that I watch weekly and got me into seasonal anime.
Sep 12, 2018 5:52 AM

Aug 2016
I have a soft spot for Elfen Lied, to be honest.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Sep 12, 2018 6:00 AM

Sep 2016
Kiddy Grade. For some reason I've rewatched this show multiple times over the years and it's far from one of the best things I've ever watched. I think the show definitely has some kind of hidden charm to it that I haven't quite identified.
Sep 12, 2018 6:17 AM

Dec 2017
Mine has to be New Game! For some reason that anime left a huge impression on me, and it was the first anime I watched while it was airing (S2 actually). I still listen to the character songs and I actually shed a tear on the last episode of S2. I could also just be super biassed about this one as I am studying game development.

No the avatar cat is not my cat. It's just some random cat whose ambitions I can appreciate and relate too (GIF unrelated).
Sep 12, 2018 6:19 AM

Apr 2014
afro samurai.

no.6.

kaze no stigma.
Sep 12, 2018 11:11 AM

Apr 2017
the wallflower because it's the first anime ive ever watched >,< and i somehow think that i can relate to the mc. everytime i remember the anime i just smile because watching it was really a good ride

still life: pink roses
Sep 12, 2018 2:41 PM

Aug 2017
Haiyore! Nyaruko-san.
It may be a plotless anime, it may suck, but the nostalgia just ties me to it. It was like my 3rd or 4th anime, and it was back in those days when you arrived home, turned on your computer and had school tomorrow. Back when life was easy. Every environmental factor may affect the way I feel about an anime, and this anime just remembers me of a long night in a weekend.
Sep 12, 2018 4:15 PM

Aug 2018
Konjiki no Gash Bell! I know it isn't good (besides of being epic, it doesn't have an animated ending). The manga kicks ass, though.

Saint Seiya. My childhood.

Inazuma Eleven. Bunch of kids with superpowers shooting like Goku.
Sep 12, 2018 4:28 PM

Feb 2016
An anime which wasn't done perfectly and stopped in a cliffhanger unfortunately is HxH(1999) But nonetheless it'll stay forever one of my favorits.
Sep 12, 2018 4:51 PM
Jul 2015
For me Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu. I had lots of fun
Sep 12, 2018 4:53 PM

Jun 2009
Kiddy Grade and Slayers. They're pretty good but have their flaws. I still love them though.
Also Hello! Lady Lynn. One of the first anime I've ever seen when I was like 4. Nostalgia fuel.
Sep 12, 2018 5:18 PM

Jun 2015
Definitely Fairy Tail. I admit that it's very bad but I really like it, especially the part before the time skip. Fairy Tail is probably the anime that made me become active in the anime community and rewatching some of the early episodes, I can't have hard feelings on it, just remembering some of my favorite OPs warm my heart.

Sep 12, 2018 5:27 PM

Nov 2017
Serial Experiments Lain. I really love this anime despite struggling to finish it due to boredom. If it weren't for that respect it would probably be a 6 for me.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you agree that One Piece being the top 1 currently airing anime suggests this Spring is weak?

18927 - Yesterday

38 by Nemo_Niemand »»
2 minutes ago

» Favorite word

JoeChip - Yesterday

32 by Badonkers »»
6 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby? ( 1 2 )

Anjuro - Jun 3

97 by Fyk0 »»
7 minutes ago

» 3 Week Challenges And Games (AMC)

Ryzenn11_ - Yesterday

8 by Asahinchi »»
9 minutes ago

» Is the database algorithm fair?

Lucifrost - May 30

22 by Lucifrost »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.