Forum Settings
Forums

Has Anime made regular TV and Movies less enjoyable?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 4, 2014 1:41 PM

Aug 2013
I watch more anime recently than movies and tv shows but I still find movies and tv shows enjoyable . I am currently watching Arrow and the Flash and I do really enjoy them and whenever I see an episode of CSI going on I do watch it. I also watch WWE programs (RAW and Smackdown) regularly. Unlike many anime fans I still find western cartoons enjoyable and I have not forsaken them in favor of only watching anime. I believe western cartoons even though they are not as diversified in genre as anime and don't provide as much mature content as anime excel more at certain elements than anime. Examples: western cartoons imo are far superior to anime when it comes to slap stick comedy and have greater and more creative use of anthropomorphism.

One western cartoon that really blew me away recently and showed me the potential of the medium is Over the Garden Wall http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3718778/ It was simply perfection. The rich atmosphere greatly contributed to how great it was. The art and music created a type of juxtaposition where you have this cherry and light hearted mood existing alongside a dark, creepy mood. To me it was like Tim Burton created a Merrie Melodies cartoon. I really hope in the future Cartoon Network continues it as a full tv series like Regular Show and Adventure Time. Modern cartoons such as Over the Garden Wall, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Batman the Brave and the Bold, Wolverine and the X men, Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Young Justice and the DC direct to DVD animated movies have shown me that the medium still has a lot to offer in terms of enjoyment.
Dec 4, 2014 2:33 PM

Dec 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
I watch more anime recently than movies and tv shows but I still find movies and tv shows enjoyable . I am currently watching Arrow and the Flash and I do really enjoy them and whenever I see an episode of CSI going on I do watch it. I also watch WWE programs (RAW and Smackdown) regularly. Unlike many anime fans I still find western cartoons enjoyable and I have not forsaken them in favor of only watching anime. I believe western cartoons even though they are not as diversified in genre as anime and don't provide as much mature content as anime excel more at certain elements than anime. Examples: western cartoons imo are far superior to anime when it comes to slap stick comedy and have greater and more creative use of anthropomorphism.

One western cartoon that really blew me away recently and showed me the potential of the medium is Over the Garden Wall http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3718778/ It was simply perfection. The rich atmosphere greatly contributed to how great it was. The art and music created a type of juxtaposition where you have this cherry and light hearted mood existing alongside a dark, creepy mood. To me it was like Tim Burton created a Merrie Melodies cartoon. I really hope in the future Cartoon Network continues it as a full tv series like Regular Show and Adventure Time. Modern cartoons such as Over the Garden Wall, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Batman the Brave and the Bold, Wolverine and the X men, Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Young Justice and the DC direct to DVD animated movies have shown me that the medium still has a lot to offer in terms of enjoyment.

I'm watching Arrow and the Flash too. Those two shows still keep me entertained along with Marvel: Agents of Shield.

The only cartoon that I watch is The Legend of Korra but It's heavily influenced by Anime..
Feel free to message me to chat.
Dec 4, 2014 2:37 PM

Aug 2014
Since I started watching anime I can never be bothered with normal TV and films. Anime is much more compelling
đź—ż

I am easily entertained.

Dec 4, 2014 2:38 PM

Aug 2014
Well I used to be a movie freak watching movies daily, but now after watching anime i still enjoy movies but suddenly i stopped watching them,maybe it's because i have no time or i am enjoying anime more than movies.
"My Emotions Got Lost Somewhere Inside Me. They're Like A Letter I Sent To Myself... That Took Decades To Arrive," Mr.Grimmer -Monster
Dec 4, 2014 2:56 PM
Sep 2014
Yes, "regular" TV is really boring and stupid compared to anime.
Dec 4, 2014 2:58 PM

Nov 2012
I don't watch movies as much as I used to because of anime, but man when I watch movies, I think back to the amount of crappy anime I've watched and think "why can't the medium I love do this?" And I like Game of Thrones more than most of my favourite anime as well.
Dec 4, 2014 4:02 PM
Jul 2018
My TV show selection is limited nowadays, but not because of anime.
Dec 4, 2014 4:10 PM

Jun 2012
I havent watched live action shows in at least 5 years.
Dec 4, 2014 4:11 PM

Jun 2013
Anime is far better so no. Although I do watch shows like Regular Show sometimes.
Dec 4, 2014 5:07 PM

Oct 2012
Vita_Aeterna said:

Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Band of Brothers (miniseries), Arrested Development anime

Arrested Development and Band of Brothers are some of my favorite shows of all time. Game of Thrones is great of course. I started watching Mad Men, but I haven't gotten far in yet.
Dec 4, 2014 5:14 PM

Dec 2013
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Completely not. My interest in Movies was never that big even though I did watch more of them before I turned to anime. Mostly some specific niche genres/themes that I was looking for in movies and those got exhausted rather quickly. I still do follow some movie releases, especially anything space related (Gravity, Interstellar) because that's just my bias. I also like to watch a good animation movie as much as the next, american or japanese. So still trying to keep up with that side of things.
Aside from that only some directors/actors will get me interested in a movie, but as I said it's nothing to do with anime, I just find movies much less appealing than TV series in general.

As for TV Series I'M definitely spending less time on them than I did before anime, but I used to just rewatch the same 10 shows over and over again (I had watched scrubs like 6 times from start to finish) and expanding my taste in anime also made me look for and find new TV Series and by now most of my favorite TV Series were things I watched after anime became my main hobby. And my total days watched for TV Series shouldn't be that much lower than for anime (170 days or so without any rewatches) so I can't say they are less enjoyable. It's much easier to find epic, long, serious storylines in TV Series (especially since the episodes are twice as long in many cases), especially in the crime genre. The Wire (or Breaking Bad) are just series that you will never find in anime. The crime/gangster genre in general is barely existent in anime so I go to Live action for my fix. And while anime does have strong sci-fi series it's hard to see series that are like 200 episodes long and have epic, long-lasting plots. There's LOGH and Gundam + a few other franchises but they're all spready out over tons of entries. While stuff like Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica (New), Farscape or Stargate are both more continuous and having this particular semi-episodic narrative.
Lastly for comedy I'll also never get tired of a good TV show. Still regularly finding new shows I never heard about which turn out hilarious. Currently watching Black Books and loving it, for example.

At the end of the day for me both viewing processes happen on my computer since I don't have an actual TV so it doesn't make much difference in that regard. It can often be nice to watch something without subs for the last few episodes before I go to bed. After watching 10+ anime episodes with subs it can be nice to relax without subs and let the day/night end.
When it comes to movies though, without any additional incentives I'll almost always grab an anime movie over a regular movie, because 1. I can enjoy the art and stuff even if it is boring (most movies are imo) and 2. being able to at least list it afterwards and be done with it also makes the prospect of sub-par movies less of an issue and works as some kind of motivation from time to time ^^.

You missed out Star Trek, one of the greatest sci-fi shows in history...

I agree about relaxing to non-anime shows but that's because during half of the show I'm usually playing a game on my phone. Anime holds my attention more...
Dec 4, 2014 6:12 PM

Oct 2014
Not really. I have been a hardcore film buff since I was a kid. I still like looking for old films or watching the latest blockbusters. However, my interest for TV shows has kinda waned even before I started watching anime seriously.

Other than The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones, there are almost no TV series worth watching. Also, like some of our fellow MAL members, I play games as well.
Dec 4, 2014 6:34 PM

Mar 2013
I watch anime because all the good TV shows are hour long episodes and ain't nobody got time for that.
Dec 4, 2014 6:51 PM

Dec 2011
Indifferent because I don't like regular tv shows as much in the first place.
Dec 4, 2014 7:25 PM
Jul 2018
No, because it's the same shet. The majority will be crep in both.

There are only a few gems in both mediums that are worth remembering.
That's because 90% of anime is shet, and 90% of western television is shet.

Few notable gems in Japanese animation:

Few notable gems in Western media:
removed-userDec 4, 2014 7:29 PM
Dec 4, 2014 7:27 PM

Mar 2014
AlucardVampire said:

You missed out Star Trek, one of the greatest sci-fi shows in history
Dec 4, 2014 7:29 PM

Mar 2014
Is there any good TV show on right now. Walking dead is boring as hell
Dec 4, 2014 7:33 PM

Aug 2014
sullynathan said:

No.

Did you watch True Detective and Fargo?

They were released this year and were better than all the anime released this year.
Dec 4, 2014 7:48 PM

Mar 2013
Cakedog said:
No, because it's the same shet. The majority will be crep in both.

There are only a few gems in both mediums that are worth remembering.
That's because 90% of anime is shet, and 90% of western television is shet.

Few notable gems in Japanese animation:

Few notable gems in Western media:

House peaked in season 3, and it was all downhill from there...
Dec 4, 2014 7:50 PM

Mar 2014
F0XFIRE said:
sullynathan said:

No.

Did you watch True Detective and Fargo?

They were released this year and were better than all the anime released this year.

of course I didn't.
Dec 4, 2014 7:52 PM

Sep 2014
Lol yeah. Anime ruined tv shows and movies for me. I don't think I've watched any for like, 3 years.
Dec 4, 2014 7:56 PM

Aug 2014
sullynathan said:
of course I didn't.

Is that sarcasm I detect?

Anyway yeah there's nothing good really I've seen at the moment. Have to wait until next year for True Detective & Fargo Season 2. and season 5 of Game of Thrones. Also Better Call Saul is coming out early next year as well.
Dec 4, 2014 8:02 PM

Oct 2012
sullynathan said:
Is there any good TV show on right now.

Absolutely.

Les Revenants
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Hannibal
True Detective
Outlander
Fargo
Penny Dreadful
Masters of Sex
The Newsroom
The Americans
Orphan Black
Broadchurch
Rectify

All those shows are the first stellar post-2011 shows that pop up in my head. There are so many incredible Western television shows out there. Much like anime, you have to dig through the dirt to find them.
Dec 4, 2014 8:04 PM

Mar 2014
toyall123 said:

Orphan Black

So much this.
Dec 4, 2014 8:21 PM

Oct 2013
I never really followed TV shows with a continuous plot as they are normally a lot longer than many anime series, and the episode lengths are mainly an hour rather than 30 minutes. My attention span is such shit now that I find it hard to finish 50 episode anime series now unless the show is just fantastic, so I just don't bother with TV. Plus, I like anime for the escapism it gives, and although TV and movies are more relatable since it has real people acting, I just personally prefer anime over it.

I was never an avid movie watcher either, but anime was never the judge of that. I really should watch more movies, but for now I'm good with anime and random video games.
Dec 4, 2014 8:24 PM
Jul 2018
Not really.

But TV annoys the hell out of me.

I'll watch a movie when a GOOD one actually comes out.
Dec 4, 2014 8:26 PM

Aug 2014
Doesn't matter what the medium is. If it's good, it's good.
Dec 4, 2014 8:32 PM

Jun 2012
Nerd rabble and their nerdy hodgepodge of bastardized "entertainment".
Dec 4, 2014 8:36 PM

Oct 2012
Fiction-S said:

Birdman is out and its better than every Anime series released this year.
Dec 4, 2014 8:39 PM
Jul 2018
Feaor said:
Fiction-S said:

Is it better than Samurai Champloo?

Anyways, I haven't seen anything good over here.

Hollywood movies are cheap talk. They're the same story or the same structure...

I don't find these new movies to be entertaining like Tarantino, or Eastwood movies.
Dec 4, 2014 8:44 PM

Oct 2012
Fiction-S said:
Feaor said:

Hollywood movies are cheap talk. They're the same story or the same structure...

I don't find these new movies to be entertaining like Tarantino, or Eastwood movies.
Haven't seen Samurai Champloo so I can't say. Also its not a Hollywood movie, the budget was only $18 million. But the directing and cinematography were fantastic and both Keaton and Norton gave excellent performances.
Dec 4, 2014 8:52 PM

Mar 2014
F0XFIRE said:
sullynathan said:
of course I didn't.

Is that sarcasm I detect?

Anyway yeah there's nothing good really I've seen at the moment. Have to wait until next year for True Detective & Fargo Season 2. and season 5 of Game of Thrones. Also Better Call Saul is coming out early next year as well.

I was really going to get into watching TV shows but I'm running into the same problems with TV shows that I run with anime. They're too damn long.
I've had the wire downloaded and yet I haven't watched it due to length.
I also dislike the fact that my whole family watched breaking bad, but I didn't. Game of thrones is the only thing I like forward to but that's because it's only 10 episodes in a season.
I feel like TV shows are as much of a time waster as anime. I can't believe that just a couple years ago I watched all of Smallville. Looking back it seems worthless.
Dec 4, 2014 8:52 PM

Mar 2014
toyall123 said:
sullynathan said:
Is there any good TV show on right now.

Absolutely.

Les Revenants
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Hannibal
True Detective
Outlander
Fargo
Penny Dreadful
Masters of Sex
The Newsroom
The Americans
Orphan Black
Broadchurch
Rectify

All those shows are the first stellar post-2011 shows that pop up in my head. There are so many incredible Western television shows out there. Much like anime, you have to dig through the dirt to find them.

did any of these shows just air? I really don't feel like downloading a while season worth of shows at this moment
Dec 4, 2014 9:12 PM
Jul 2018
Feaor said:
Fiction-S said:

Haven't seen Samurai Champloo so I can't say. Also its not a Hollywood movie, the budget was only $18 million. But the directing and cinematography were fantastic and both Keaton and Norton gave excellent performances.

I'll look into it. I feel independent and foreign movies are (sometimes not usually) better than some American films.
Dec 4, 2014 10:14 PM

Oct 2012
sullynathan said:

did any of these shows just air? I really don't feel like downloading a while season worth of shows at this moment

Just air as in currently airing? These shows are all post-2011 and all plan to have multiple seasons, so yes.
Dec 4, 2014 10:17 PM

Jun 2014
I never liked TV to begin with, so I'll say no.
Dec 4, 2014 11:26 PM

Jan 2012
I think regular tv and movies did that on their own, if anime helped it was only by diverting my attention somewhat, but even when I watch current tv there's not much I enjoy outside sports, news, and a show or two here or there. Movies are even less frequent. I suppose the internet in general and youtube and whatnot probably had a larger role than anime too as far as that goes.
Dec 4, 2014 11:33 PM

Sep 2014
Kind of.

For me, anime made me judge TV shows, Movies and Cartoons in a much harsher/stricter way.
Dec 4, 2014 11:51 PM

May 2014
can't watch tv without dieing of boredom, shows like breaking bad, american horro stories, just aren't the same anymore when you watch anime...
Dec 4, 2014 11:52 PM

Oct 2008
elementkg said:
can't watch tv without dieing of boredom, shows like breaking bad, american horro stories, just aren't the same anymore when you watch anime...

All of them ain't got shit on Sword Art Online right?......
Dec 5, 2014 12:27 AM

Jul 2014
Nope I still watch tv as much as I did before I watched anime. I was never a big movie guy tho.
Dec 5, 2014 12:30 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
For now yes, as someone who's starting to discover all sorts of anime most of TV and movies are meh.

But i guess when i'll watch less and less anime i'll start to enjoy movies and stuff on TV a lot again.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Dec 5, 2014 12:32 AM

May 2012
No, I appreciate all mediums. Anime has not lessened my enjoyment of any of them.
Dec 5, 2014 1:23 AM

Apr 2012
"Regular TV and movies"? I don't understand what makes anime non-regular, but anyway: My answer to your question is no. Sturgeon's law applies to both mediums, and both mediums have their fair share of masterpieces.
Dec 5, 2014 3:41 AM

May 2013
Fiction-S said:

I cringed.
Dec 5, 2014 3:47 AM

Apr 2013
Currently it's definitely the case. I don't watch any TV series at all, just the occassional movie in a cinema with friends. I'm even playing games a lot less and watch anime instead. Yeah I'm pretty hyped at the moment :)
Dec 5, 2014 6:25 AM

Apr 2012
It's mostly made me think live-action is an extremely limited format and using it to tell most types of stories is a bit silly. So yes.
Dec 5, 2014 6:36 AM

Dec 2013
Oddyeus said:
"Regular TV and movies"? I don't understand what makes anime non-regular, but anyway: My answer to your question is no. Sturgeon's law applies to both mediums, and both mediums have their fair share of masterpieces.

I meant non-Anime obviously.

Agreed but setting aside the "masterpieces." Comparing Anime and TV in general terms; I find Anime to be more enjoyable. The average TV show isn't as good to me as an average Anime.
Dec 5, 2014 7:47 AM
Jul 2018
nope. not really
Dec 5, 2014 9:39 AM
Mar 2014
Nope. Anime hasn't had any influence on how much I enjoy TV and movies.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Would you quit Anime if Anime caters to the West?

Dragevard - 35 minutes ago

3 by Notoshin »»
15 minutes ago

» Wait, there is more? (anime that were connected to or had related entries that you didn't know about)

APolygons2 - Today

23 by Shirayukin »»
16 minutes ago

» If ONE Piece is this long, imagine if this was 100 piece

jhzs0029 - 5 hours ago

6 by Notoshin »»
21 minutes ago

» What is the greatest disguise ever?

SgtBateMan - Jun 12

30 by ForgotEyeWasHere »»
25 minutes ago

» A very personal question

passtur - 2 hours ago

5 by mshfqtny »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.