Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 20, 4:19 PM
May 2017
Another excellent episode!

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Jan 20, 4:29 PM

Mar 2011
Maomao with her love for poisen never gets old :D. Unfortunately the interactions between her and Jinshi become a little bit repetetive (but yeah, I guess he has a talent for sneaking up on Maomao and scaring her (something poisen can't do) which is still interesting so I'll let this slide for now. But I hope we get some more depth to the characters soon.

This case was at least somehow interesting... poisoning due to puffer fish but it wasn't. Still the connection to the old case wasn't made yet? And once again the climax seems to have gotten lost in the pacing. I mean, I am more interested in what's going on with this Sir Lakan anyway but I don't know... it's unsettling this series seems so half-baked at times. Unless really all cases are connected but that would be weird too. But back to Lakan... He gives off some creepy vibes. From the view we got of the courtesan he was talking about I wonder if it was Maomao's mother. At least she looked like her in a way (but that could also be a red herring). But my guts tell me not to trust him...

And I also wonder if this soldier Basen will play a bigger role later on. He kind of looks like a character that will occur most often (and let me guess... the fact he doesn't seem to like Maomao means nothing ...).
You're the light shining over The black and gloomy nights
So long I've been waiting To run into your arms
Oh, my only one desire You're the one I need
Through the thousand years ~ Evermore

"Midnight Sun" by AleXa

Jan 20, 4:30 PM

Mar 2008
That guy sure is coming off sinister now

lol with Jinshi banging his head after Maomao gave him an unexpected greeting.

Puffer fish contains tetrodotoxin which can cause paralysis making someone appear as if they are dead when they aren't. Of course it also can kill.

I want to comment on the seaweed but I can't for the life of me figure out what species of seaweed that is. Nor can I find any information on processing any seaweed with limewater which I assume could very much be a real thing that causes a chemical reaction.
Jan 20, 4:43 PM

Apr 2022
maomao's chibi shocked face when she got restrained by jinshi for the eel poison actually made me lol. lakan the strategist certainly gives off that aura.
Jan 20, 4:48 PM
Sep 2021
I LOVED this ep. It was the funniest anime episode I've watched in a while, and those lore drops at the end?? We were hinted so much interesting stuff. I love how this show keeps getting better and better, I hope it won't take a dark turn cuz seeing MaoMao sad will break my heart.
Jan 20, 4:55 PM

Mar 2020
Another food poisoning case is afoot, and that's Maomao's specialty...

The highlight of this episode was definitely Lakan's ominous appearance near the end of the episode, as he said some pretty nasty things there as he told some stories to Jinshi. Otherwise, a fairly standard episode with great humour and a lot of fun reaction faces like usual, with mysteries to solve. I wouldn't say this was a particularly strong episode, but even when that's the case, when you know that even when there's a weaker episode, you still enjoy it, that's when you know we've got a good anime on our hands here. Hopefully things pick up a bit next time!
Jan 20, 5:01 PM

Sep 2016
I loved Lakan's voice, they choose a good seiyuu.
Jan 20, 5:03 PM

Dec 2022
My bad feeling around that guy only got stronger with that conversation
Jan 20, 6:12 PM

Nov 2010
  • Whenever I hear the BGM played when the poison case was told at the beginning, it reminds me of the BGM of Bakemonogatari titled "syugendou".
  • traed said:
    I want to comment on the seaweed but I can't for the life of me figure out what species of seaweed that is. Nor can I find any information on processing any seaweed with limewater which I assume could very much be a real thing that causes a chemical reaction.
    One of the candidates is OgoNori. "process with lime" would mean "alkali process" in this document. The poisonous chemical itself is not stated. You may find it from the scientific name of the seaweed. Though I don't know nothing about chemistry, you could find out the chemical reaction between the poison and alkali.

Jan 20, 6:21 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to kuroneko99
  • Whenever I hear the BGM played when the poison case was told at the beginning, it reminds me of the BGM of Bakemonogatari titled "syugendou".
  • traed said:
    One of the candidates is OgoNori. "process with lime" would mean "alkali process" in this document. The poisonous chemical itself is not stated. You may find it from the scientific name of the seaweed. Though I don't know nothing about chemistry, you could find out the chemical reaction between the poison and alkali.

@kuroneko99
Yeah I tried searching with "calcium hydroxide" and "seaweed" but was having trouble, thanks. I've been trying to look into things for every episode something medical and herbal is talked about as a sort of self amusement and for other's benefit though probably goes unnoticed.
Jan 20, 6:39 PM
Mar 2019
Mention Poison and Maomao can't resist.
Jan 20, 6:39 PM

Nov 2021
The noise Maomao made when Jinshi picked her up was way too funny
Jan 20, 7:53 PM

Oct 2022
Can't get enough of Maomao's love for poison, haha.
Jan 20, 9:32 PM

Jul 2012
I was skeptical when I saw this show ranking high. Maomao SWEEP.
Jan 20, 10:22 PM

May 2018
alright, I'm calling it now....... lakan = daddy
can't yuck my yum

Jan 20, 10:29 PM
Jan 2021
The creepy guy in this episode makes me feel that he might be Maomao's Dad. I think he SA'd her mother and had Maomao. This is all just theories but he's a strategist and she's got like 1000 IQ and the flash glimpse of her mother as the creepy guy was talking. I think that her current acknowledged father helped her mother give birth to Maomao and raised her but isn't her biological father which could make sense especially because the courtesans in the Pleasure Districts are like sisters to Maomao as in her mother would've been their senior and the doctor makes a lot of the emergency visits in regards to poisonous and/or physical injuries to the courtesans.
SCxsawamuraFeb 11, 4:07 AM
Jan 20, 11:01 PM
Jan 2022
phantomfandom said:
Basen reminds me of Lihaku.

I thought it was Lihaku when I first saw him, then he was introduced as Basen
Jan 21, 12:14 AM

Mar 2007
Mao Mao puts great store in other people's ability to understand what she's saying without actually saying it. Nice.
Jan 21, 12:18 AM

Dec 2022
That strategist was going full creep there.

Jinshi was so shocked by cute Maomao that he was unable to handle it.
Wimp.
Jan 21, 12:45 AM

Aug 2022
Another cuteness of Maomao in this episode.

And maybe something bad will happen. What will happen after Lakan enters this show? We will see in the next episode.

Jan 21, 3:32 AM
Mar 2020
Lakan has a more sinister presence in the anime than in the manga. This is someone that even Jinshi does not eff around with.
Jan 21, 4:37 AM
Dec 2014
I haven't been so immersed into an anime in a long long time, so much so that i'm all caught up with the manga and reading the light novels.
Jan 21, 5:09 AM

Jun 2016
that guy with one glasses almosst have same eyes colour like mao2 , so we understand he is the F***r
Jan 21, 6:00 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to MohammedQ2003
phantomfandom said:
Basen reminds me of Lihaku.

I thought it was Lihaku when I first saw him, then he was introduced as Basen
@MohammedQ2003 they are both young and muscular militry officers. On this their similarities end. They look similar because of the same uniform and young man look.
Jan 21, 6:37 AM

Dec 2008
hm, I think they changed order of some stories, I have a feeling that next episode should have happened few episodes ago...
Jan 21, 6:50 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Decent episode, can't wait one week again :/
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Jan 21, 9:28 AM
Sep 2021
So Maomao solved one more case successfully, but before even she can rest, she will be assigned to another case.
Jan 21, 10:24 AM
Jul 2017
did the general have his way with the woman and lower her price?????????????????

also this weeks mystery sucked
Jan 21, 12:20 PM

May 2018
Maomao loving the taste of poision

Wonder what the strageist is thinking about, seems it could be Maomao mother from flash back

"Don't give up after failing just twice.
We'll be able to do it next time.
Failure is the stepping stone to success."

Jan 21, 6:00 PM
Oct 2022
Reply to SCxsawamura
The creepy guy in this episode makes me feel that he might be Maomao's Dad. I think he SA'd her mother and had Maomao. This is all just theories but he's a strategist and she's got like 1000 IQ and the flash glimpse of her mother as the creepy guy was talking. I think that her current acknowledged father helped her mother give birth to Maomao and raised her but isn't her biological father which could make sense especially because the courtesans in the Pleasure Districts are like sisters to Maomao as in her mother would've been their senior and the doctor makes a lot of the emergency visits in regards to poisonous and/or physical injuries to the courtesans.
@SCxsawamura You know 100 IQ is exactly average, right? And notice they both have blue eyes, while the guy that raised her doesn't. Blue-eyed strategist guy, green-haired bitchy courtesan? This is sounding familiar...

P.S.: I'm getting really tired of FMC treating Jinshi like shit after everything he's done for her.
Jan 21, 6:41 PM
Oct 2019
Detective Maomao in action again.

This guy Lakan seems like a bad news for sure.
Jan 21, 7:59 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
Ah cliff hangers. Gotta love them. Got to wait until next week to find out what is going to happen between everyone, but this episode was great. The new OP and ED are a perfect touch as well
Jan 22, 4:45 AM

May 2015
Very funny episode, but it also shows how Mao Mao is ready to risk her life.
Jan 22, 11:17 AM

Aug 2022
Oh man this is getting interesting. Did the suspicious lakan guy poison maomao's mom? Perhaps thats why she initially got into kusuri, to find a cure. That doesn't really suit her character,though. And that tavern he heard about the poison... isn't it the same place where the guy drank something really salty? A coincidence? probably... but you never know... I really like the way this show is going. Connections.
Jan 22, 9:16 PM

Dec 2020
I hate when people discuss the LN here and spoil things. We don't want to know how new introduced characters who get depicted as evil will turn out to be good guys.
Jan 22, 11:47 PM
Feb 2015
The eccentric high officials seem to reminds me of maomao and the way he said to degrade the value of courtesan is sus. Maomao easily solve the mystery of seaweed and got the culprit.
Jan 23, 11:56 AM

Jul 2016
Maomao's vomiting sounds LMAO

Lakan has a really shady vibe and got a feeling him revealing the courtesan he's talking about is gonna be really bad news.
Jan 23, 5:27 PM

Jul 2016
I'm trying my hardest to focus on the mysteries this show has but this last couple of episodes have been so damn boring. Let's hope this Lakan dude can bring a new dynamic to the table.
Jan 23, 10:30 PM

Jul 2017
Lakan has taken a liking to Maomao, which requested by Gaoshun, procures her to pufferfish poison, in a case that he was in charge of under 10 years ago. The temptation to poison is quite literally there since its pufferfish, but that the alibi from gourmet bureaucrats who loved rare delicacies, it could not prove their innocence in the act. Maomao gets hooked and requests Gaosun to pry more information into it...but that Jinshi cut her half-speech to give her quite the scare. Everything seems normal, except the ingredients, which a similar case comes up which happened the week before, this time with seasonal vegetables...and seaweed. Maomao is supervised under Basen to check out the kitchen, which its master was about to bar them from doing their investigation, which thanks to Basen, Maomao was able to continue and secretly scourage seaweed for their own inspection.

Seaweed, like many other sea creatures, can be eaten edible if cooked correctly, which Maomao instinctively ate it, only for Jinshi to command her to vomit out the unproven poison. This then, brings the perspective back to the person, of which the eldest son is not treated well, which explains his heated temprament. Aside from Maomao's pleasant face while sent Jinshi into a romantic daze, he has someone whom he does not gel with, which would be the strategist Lakan himself, who has vested his interest in Maomao as well with a request.

Maomao's hunches are always correct, and this time, Lakan will be her duel.
Jan 24, 5:47 AM
Sep 2023
i just love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 24, 7:55 AM

Jan 2017
Well that was kinda predictable but looking forward to the next episode
Jan 24, 5:16 PM
Nov 2019
Not sure if I should spoiler this but based off previous comments I'm going to just in case.
Jan 25, 9:41 AM

Mar 2020
Looks like we got a new antagonist, looks promising
Jan 25, 7:12 PM
May 2021
**SLIGHT SPOILER/THEORY***

can't wait to see if we will finally see what her mother was like since she clearly never saw her and is probably her connection to the brothel. I really wonder how she came about and how old jin is cause im also from my bad math that they are the same age if we are assuming he is the brother/baby cause he really does look like the concubine that left
Jan 26, 6:56 AM

Nov 2019
It's heading toward the depressing part of the story. I should prepare myself.
Jan 26, 10:50 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The Story could be around the Maomao mother!!!
kekeke
Jan 26, 3:48 PM
Dec 2020
jesus christ that man is DISGUSTING

but also could the courtesan he was talking about be maomao's mom? she looked a lot like her, but i could be wrong. maybe her father was the other guy trying to buy her out while he was still the rear palace doctor and he had money?
Jan 26, 6:14 PM
Jul 2020
BUENOOO Y MAGNÍFICO
Jan 27, 5:53 PM

Dec 2018
very well written episode; glad the bros worked it out.
Jan 27, 11:50 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Daym never know eel actually a poisonous, till you bleed it out or just cooked it well. But i feel like this pufferfish case having an intended lowered difficulty to be solved since the culprit literally giving himself to be suspected by that anxiety entry. All in all, Mao and her poison attractiveness becomes the most spotlight for the first half.

Write about the second half, finally that Lakan old dude making an entrance. He sure love doing all the puzzle talk, huh? Just say it to the point already, you demand Maomao to your side, and that's it close the case. Even if its mean Jinshi obviously won't be agree and ended up having a great duel within them, at least its gotta be solve much faster than the raw fish this time, right?

Furthermore, more case ahead, and its related to the real puzzle now. Hopefully its not that dull, like this episode....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Softhenic03 - Nov 11, 2023

168 by phantom346 »»
Sep 15, 12:49 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 24

118 by marta_valse »»
Sep 9, 3:43 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 17

254 by marta_valse »»
Sep 9, 3:22 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 10

136 by marta_valse »»
Sep 9, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 3

110 by marta_valse »»
Sep 9, 2:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.